Type keyword(s) to search

S36.E03: It’s Not Over Til Phil Sings

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 minutes ago, WatcherUp2 said:

Has Phil ever eliminated a team mid-challenge to put everyone (especially the audience) out of their misery?

Yes.  Hay bales, some digging task in Egypt, and maybe the red coffee bean (not sure about that one).  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yes.  Hay bales, some digging task in Egypt, and maybe the red coffee bean (not sure about that one).  

Your memory is impressive!

• Love 1
Just now, dizzyd said:

Your memory is impressive!

There were others, too, like the one team that simply gave up trying to drive their stick shift car. And I'm sure more that I don't remember! 

(edited)

Lol, the dog went to sleep waiting for the twins to finish, no scraps from them yet. Yeah Danny, take a siesta while mom is picking, those twins aren’t going to overtake you.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Like 2
  • LOL 6
Just now, MerBearHou said:

Momma’s going slooooow.  

Yeah, but until I see the twins arrive, and see them all picking coffee at the same time, I won't believe she's in any danger of being eliminated.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, but until I see the twins arrive, and see them all picking coffee at the same time, I won't believe she's in any danger of being eliminated.

Yep and the Pit Stop is not far away.

• Like 1

I know it's just editing, surely the Twins can't survive being this far behind. But Sean is really freaking out. And Angie is going SO SLOW.

• Like 6
(edited)
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I know it's just editing, surely the Twins can't survive being this far behind. But Sean is really freaking out. And Angie is going SO SLOW.

I am not worried about Angie. She could do 2 trips to weighing and still be ahead of the other two teams.

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 1

Sean takes a tumble. Looks like his breakdown was just hype.

The twins are basically dogs. You can fake throwing a ball, and they’d totally run after it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 21
  • Love 1

I think the Twins were further behind Sean and Michelle than they made it look. They seem like nice enough guys but they were just too dumb for this race. But I don't think Sean and Michelle are long for this race either. They are having a surprising amount of trouble with physical things considering their profession.

• Like 13
2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Thank goodness for Sean and Michelle.  That would have been so wrong if the twins weren’t eliminated.  Good-natured kids but…

. . . not the brightest bulbs in the closet, right?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I think the Twins were further behind Sean and Michelle than they made it look. They seem like nice enough guys but they were just too dumb for this race. But I don't think Sean and Michelle are long for this race either. They are having a surprising amount of trouble with physical things considering their profession.

I wonder if its the heat and humidity or altitude. Where are they from? 

Mom and son are also not long for this game.

• Like 2

I loved the cooking challenge.  It's not a physically daunting challenge but cooking in the same kitchen really brings out a certain dynamic in couples that they might not experience anywhere else. They can be super supportive everywhere else but at each other's throats in the kitchen. Didn't Derek say he's not allowed in the kitchen while Shelisa is cooking? 

I'm happy Ricky and Cesar won the challenge.  It really seemed crafted for them.  Language skills.  Professional cooking skills.  I bet they saved a lot of time at the cooking challenge because of that. 

• Like 13

Arepas! I have made those, so I would ace that.

Between last season and this one, who on production has a stair fetish?

Yes, sonny, cram it with the "everyone's leaving" updates. That so does not help.

• Like 6

So long to the Twins. They seemed like decent guys, but there was barely a brain between them . .  . and they'd probably admit as much. Multiple swaps on a Detour isn't new, but it was obvious both tasks were over their heads. After Sean adulted up on the stairs and Angie finished the Roadblock, their game was over.

The Boyfriends (Ricky & Cesar) finally won a leg, with the Nurses slipping into the second slot. I'm trying to keep an open mind about teams being competitive. With ten teams left, I'm sure a lot of them will still try to pace themselves.

Funny that the Cousins don't eat meat, yet they managed to cook the meal perfectly save for the plantains. When was the last time teams had to eat at a Roadblock?

Great for Sunny to power through her grandmother's death. Not quitting the game much have been a tough decision, and I would have understood either way.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I'm really  impressed  with Ricky and Cesar,  they are running  a good race so far. 

That stair climb would have done me in, everyone  said their legs felt like noodles afterwards. .  I was worried  for Danny's mother, but, she made it. I was irritated their boat didn't  start, and others passed them.

If the twins had stayed  at the cooking  challenge , the first time they changed tasks, they'd  still be in it. Nice kids  it seems  others thought so as well. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I had to go back to see if I heard right when, starting up the stairs in the last group, one of the twins (in voiceover) said that their game plan for the day (after a couple of sloppy days) was to slow it down and think a little more. Wow - slow it down when you're starting at the back of the pack? And then alternate between over- and under-thinking it as you repeatedly switch Detour tasks? Much as they seem like cool guys, I would have been disappointed / frustrated if an act of divine intervention had kept them from being Philiminated.

• Like 5

Omigosh, it was painful watching the twins dither and triple bald snark the detour.  This was only the second leg (technically) and they were already unable to think straight.

Also hard to watch Mom take her sweet time picking beans while Danny knows the last two teams are catching up.

Also hard to watch Sean not want to walk down a hill and practically quit the game over it.  Really?

The bored/sleeping dog was hilarious.

• Like 6

I've been to Guatape, and it is just as gorgeous as it looked in this episode.  And yes, it does go from beautiful sunny day to torrential downpour in the blink of an eye.  El Penon has 740 stairs (I did have to look that up just now, and it's funny - different sites show different numbers of stairs).  I'm middle age and carrying a lot more extra weight than I should, and I managed it just fine.  Of course, I was taking it slow, resting every few landings.  The nice part is that they have the stairs numbered - every 10 or 20 or something like that.  So you know how much farther you have to go.  The top point is a viewing platform (man made).  Just below that is the top of the rock, and there are vendors there.  A great place to have a snack and just look out at the world. 

I do wonder how Sean's fear of heights kicked in at walking down a stone step slope, but he didn't freak out at going up or down El Penon.  Maybe the handrail is all he needs to convince himself he isn't going to plummet to his death.  It seems Michelle has had to talk him through his fear of heights before, and knows how to manage it. 

I give Danny a lot of credit for being so patient with his mother, but damn if she wasn't finding the slowest approach to doing those coffee beans! 

I'm adding weights and measures to things I'd learn before going on TAR.  First, know lb to kg conversion, but also have some sort of comparison system - my shoe weighs 1 lb, a gallon of milk weighs 3 lbs (I'm just making these up), etc., so you have some idea when asked to get 4 kilo of oranges in the market. 

While I don't mind the use of the Amazing Charter Plane, I hate the release bunching.  I really want to know why they won't release teams in the time slots in which they arrived at the mat, and why they create these bunches at designated time intervals.  I can understand not wanting to deal with stragglers, but they could cap releases at a maximum time block.  So, for example, anyone who arrived at the mat more than 2 hours after the first team gets released in one final group. 

• Like 8
(edited)

I'm having a hard time finding a team to root for after last season when I liked almost every single team. The ones I find least likeable are the mother/son team -there's a lot of fake positivity which comes across as passive-aggressive to me. I'm glad the twins are finally gone - that whole Spicoli schtick was getting annoying and unfortunately, they were getting the most screen time. Maybe now that they're gone, we can learn more about some of the other teams.

Edited by anniebird
  • Like 7

Duuuudes, you were so, so useless.

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

If they do it right, it is delicious.

It did sound really good.  Not fond of chicarrones, but otherwise, yum.

12 hours ago, WatcherUp2 said:

Has Phil ever eliminated a team mid-challenge to put everyone (especially the audience) out of their misery?

Yes, Lena & Kristy during the haystack challenge in AR6 and Marshall & Lance at Giza in AR5 both got Philiminated in the field.  Although technically M&L quit because Marshall's knees were too bad for him to keep going.  But Phil came out to tell them everyone else had already checked in.

12 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Why would anyone terrified of heights ever go on The Amazing Race?

Idk, but they do.  Most of them power through but there was that one girl during the Globetrotters first season (AR15) who wouldn't go down the really high water slide because she was afraid of heights, I believe.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Is this a quadruple bald snark?

Maybe?  I forget how many switches constitute a regular bald snark.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe?  I forget how many switches constitute a regular bald snark

I believe a bald snark involves switching and then returning to the original task?  So the twins’ going from the first to second to first to second would be the elusive double bald snark?

• Like 1