Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

PBS makes episodes available on Passport before they air on PBS. Discussion in this thread may contain plot information pertaining to the episode before it airs on PBS. Do not use spoiler tags.

It's summertime in Poplar, and during Violet's first event as mayor, a young mother goes into labor. Among the chaos, May sneaks off and Shelagh receives an unexpected visit from her social worker, which puts her on edge.

• Like 2
(edited)

Enjoying it, very real with Mae and her accident but I feel they make Trixie so clueless. I know I'm a hypersensitive type but she can't pick up on her husband's moods at all? She can't see his distress and all she talks about is spending money. If they are trying to make the character less desirable, I guess for me it's working. Materialistic is one thing but they always showed the softer side of her in the past

The mom with 2 children and their eye issues were also very well done. They were great at showing the range of emotions and they made them very realistic. I was routing for them too. Even how cold and aloof the doctor was, brought back memories my mom told me about, you were an afterthought, not like today when you are told much more and can look up so many things.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 11

Deleted Scenes:

Spoiler

In the scene at the maternity clinic, right after Violet invites everyone to the seaside excursion, Nancy asks Lindy Webster's little girl Danielle if she wants to hear a story from Sister Monica Joan while they check on the baby in Mummy's tummy.

In the scene right before Sr. Veronica introduces Cecil, she tells the people that there are structured activities like singing and games, but the most important thing is to have  fun.

In the scene at the Turners', they cut a bit at the beginning where Teddy asks Shelagh wh she's made him a dress.  Shelagh tells him it's a changing cape and Patrick tells him it will come in handy when they go to the mayor's excursion and also a week in Devon.  May and Angela have their own capes, and May asks if they can keep them on.  Shelagh says they don't have any arms as they are for changing under, not playing in.

In the scene at Nonnatus House, they cut a bit at the beginning where Sr. Julienne says a  picnic buffet supper, how wonderful and Rosalind  says they brought back leftovers for those who couldn't come. Nancy adds with her mouth full, and half the beach.

Phyllis comes in and Sr. Veronica asks if they made it back in time.  She says by the skin of their teeth, mother and baby girl both doing well.  She then takes some food and says she's going into the bathroom to develop some pictures.  Nancy objects because she wanted a bath as she has has sand in places she didn't know existed. Phyllis says she needs to get the pictures developed as soon as possible, but that it shouldn't take too long.

Right after Patrick meets Shelagh at the hospital,we switch to Phyllis in Lindy's room. She tells her that bathing baby's eyes in sterilized water will help keep them clean of infection.  Lindy asks Phyllis to do it for her, as she doesn't want to hurt the baby. Phyllis tells her she won't, and gentle strokes with the pad from the inside of the eye outward.  Sr. Veronica comes in and asks Lindy how she is doing.  She's brought provisions for the baby.  She tells Phyllis that she has brought information about financial support and that they need to get them filled out as soon as possible.  Phyllis  tells her to speak to Lindy as she is right in front of her.

In the scene after the doctor tells the Turners how ill May is, we switch to Nonnatus House where they are eating. Phyllis goes to answer the phone.  Trixie observes that sh cannot imagine what Patrick and Shelagh are going through.  Sr. Julieene says a carefree day at the seaside turning into a nightmare and that she can hardly believe it. Colette asks Nancy what's the matter and she tells her that May is poorly, but that she's being looked after in hospital by very clever doctors.

Phyllis returns and says the phone call was from Violet Buckle and that the Gazette is doing a story on the outing and want to use one of her pictures so she goes to choose one.  We head back to the Turners where Angela is saying she misses May. Shelagh says they all do, and Angela pleads to visit May.  Timothy tells her they are very strict about children visiting.  Teddy says there's a biscuit left and Angela says it's May's.

Right after the scene where Phyllis is looking through pictures, we switch to the Buckle shop where Violet says they will need two next year.  Fred asks two what and she says coaches.  She says that so many people are asking if the beach trip is returning and that news is spreading fast.   Fred says that's smashing but that he wants to get his breath back before they start planning the next one; they kiss.

Right after the scene in Lindy's hospital room, we go over to Nonnatus House where Sr.Julienne tells Sr. Veronica that she is praying for poor little Danielle and her sister. Sr. Veronica says they could barely manage as parents to begin with and that they certainly won't be able to cope with two poorly children. She says the welfare office must be informed and that she is heading to the hospital as her support may be needed.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3
On 3/15/2024 at 9:10 PM, debraran said:

but I feel they make Trixie so clueless. I know I'm a hypersensitive type but she can't pick up on her husband's moods at all? She can't see his distress and all she talks about is spending money.

This.  Matthew kept exhibiting signs of stress, and he even stopped in the middle of driving to their seaside getaway to phone his stockbroker!  I can't believe Trixie is that oblivious.  Even if she isn't certain of the topic, how can she not see that something is very wrong?     

I also agree about the doctors being rather cold with the parents of the children with eye cancer.  It shouldn't take Sister Veronica to tell the guy that he needs to explain things to the couple in layman's terms. 

• Like 14
6 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

This.  Matthew kept exhibiting signs of stress, and he even stopped in the middle of driving to their seaside getaway to phone his stockbroker!  I can't believe Trixie is that oblivious.  Even if she isn't certain of the topic, how can she not see that something is very wrong?     

I also agree about the doctors being rather cold with the parents of the children with eye cancer.  It shouldn't take Sister Veronica to tell the guy that he needs to explain things to the couple in layman's terms. 

It's such a caricature of Trixie, bags of things she doesn't need, giving away their money without any knowledge of it, to charity, ignoring the constant references to money by her husband, his morose look and attitude. She picks the most expensive nursery school (which wasn't a big thing back then) I get it without the writers beating us over the head with it. When the blowup comes, she will be devastated but communication is not a big thing right now or just being observant and empathy that usually comes when you love someone and are a nurse and normally thoughtful toward your patients. Even the way she acted with the patient was odd. I don't know what happened with the "real" people and contracts etc but don't do this to her or him.

• Like 9

Another really good episode. I did not think the beach excursion was going to end with May in the hospital and the threat of the Turner's losing her.

I loved the moment where we saw Lindy grow up. She was kind of a clueless brat but she showed up for her kids and I was so glad that the dad came around too. Sometimes you just need to cry it all out to clear your head and figure out what needs to be done going forward.

Violet wearing her mayor medallion is cracking me up but she may feel it's necessary being the first female mayor.

I'm just as frustrated with Matthew as I am with Trixie. She should be able to tell something is going on with her husband and that it's not about her being a midwife. But he needs to communicate with her. She's not a child who needs protecting from the big, bad world. His behavior is disrespectful to her.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, debraran said:

It's such a caricature of Trixie, bags of things she doesn't need, giving away their money without any knowledge of it, to charity, ignoring the constant references to money by her husband, his morose look and attitude. She picks the most expensive nursery school (which wasn't a big thing back then) I get it without the writers beating us over the head with it. When the blowup comes, she will be devastated but communication is not a big thing right now or just being observant and empathy that usually comes when you love someone and are a nurse and normally thoughtful toward your patients. Even the way she acted with the patient was odd. I don't know what happened with the "real" people and contracts etc but don't do this to her or him.

1 hour ago, jah1986 said:

I'm just as frustrated with Matthew as I am with Trixie. She should be able to tell something is going on with her husband and that it's not about her being a midwife. But he needs to communicate with her. She's not a child who needs protecting from the big, bad world. His behavior is disrespectful to her.

Trixie and Matthew are pod-people now and I don't recognize either one of them.  For Trixie to be so oblivious to the distress that Matthew is going through is not believable. It may be believable that he is hiding things from Trixie, but it is frustrating that he doesn't just let her know that he doesn't have a bottomless pit of money.

I didn't need or want a happily-ever-after for Trixie the minute she got married but for it all to turn to crap immediately is just awful.  If they need/want to write somebody out, it could be done without wrecking the character.

• Like 13
  • Applause 9

This was my least favorite episode. Violets event turns into a disaster. May almost drowns, gets sick, and the Turners almost lose custody.

Trixie and Matthew continue to implode. Clueless Trixie doesn’t notice Matthew is anxious and depressed. Matthew needs to grow a pair and tell Trixie about the money problems and quit shopping.

The young mom, Lindy finds out both of her daughters have eye cancer. 
The best part was Lindy and Melvin (name?) decided to grow up, get married and be there for each other and their daughters. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
On 3/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, Suzn said:

If they need/want to write somebody out, it could be done without wrecking the character.

Very lazy, incompetent script writing.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2

I have never understood the concept of not discussing finances with your spouse in the grounds that you are protecting them. It never works out, and often ends up with widows not having the faintest idea where all the debts came from. Some protection! 
As soon as May complained of not feeling well, I knew immediately what was wrong with her (I’m a great armchair diagnostician) I have read about delayed action drowning and it can be serious and even fatal. 
Of course I’m not perfect. I thought that the girl and baby’s eye condition was going to be syphilis and Melvin was going to be the culprit. I guess it’s a good thing I’m not a doctor. 
May’s problematic mother reappears. I thought May was adopted by now. I didn’t realize she was still only a foster child.  The Turners really had a rough episode with lots of waterworks. 
I think the seaside outing was a moderate success! Only one near drowning and one woman going into labor. Practically perfect. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Honestly, there was so much over-acting in this whole episode that I'm being dissatisfied with the series as a whole.  Dr. Turner is beginning to annoy me as much as Lady Grantham in Downton Abbey.

And how could Fred blow up balloons that floated as though they were filled with helium?

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
On 3/18/2024 at 9:10 AM, jah1986 said:

But he needs to communicate with her. She's not a child who needs protecting from the big, bad world. His behavior is disrespectful to her.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, Suzn said:

It may be believable that he is hiding things from Trixie, but it is frustrating that he doesn't just let her know that he doesn't have a bottomless pit of money.

Huge YES to both of these comments. She is not a child. She is a grown adult capable of understanding the issue and responding accordingly, if he'd only tell her what the issue was. 

On 3/28/2024 at 8:58 AM, Straycat80 said:

Matthew needs to grow a pair and tell Trixie about the money problems and quit shopping.

I completely agree with this. If he would only tell her, she would completely understand and start coming up with all sorts of ways/things to do in order to economize. She would not be talking about a new car, an expensive preschool, and what not if she knew the truth about his financial situation. It's drama for the sake of drama, which I am not a fan of.    

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

The Turners were as terrible as the Aylwards this week:

• no one was keeping track of the girls for a hell of a long time
  • Angela just wanders back after gathering shells and completely ignoring May rather than doing what any sibling would do, which is nagging May for her turn
  • Jesus christ, how long is that straight, open, deserted beach??
  • There's no one in the flat water but one lone unattended child and no one can spot her, knowing she's in the water?
  • They get the kid home and immediately reward her with cuddling and stuffing her with iced buns? JFC, I get being glad that she's alive, but come on. The girls already ran amuck, let's not give her treats for it. She should be in trouble, not being a smug shit about hogging her candy haul.
  • Also, Patrick was right, he should have taken her in for a chest x-ray just to be safe - that's free from the NHS, right? She horked up a lot of water, so aspiration should be assumed.

I mean, thank goodness Timothy has his shit together.

• Like 15
  • Applause 2

I believe Matthew’s extreme sense of utter failure is what is keeping him from being honest with Trixie. Remember how scathing his father could be to him? Trixie, herself, never really had to economize due to the “clothing allowance” she used to receive from her aunt. I’m worried that Matthew’s despair and sense of failure, haunted by his late father’s cruel comments will lead him to some rash behavior.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4
7 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Oh my goodness, you’re right! Those balloons should have sunk, not risen!

Wow, yea, I didn't even think about that! 

Not my favorite episode. I did like the young couple with the girls. That was a good storyline. 

• Like 5

Trixie is oblivious but Matthew is being an ass by not leveling with her about his financial difficulties.  Nothing bugs me more about tv dramas than when characters don't talk to each other!  Yeah, probably a sign of the time but he has let left her in the dark for way too long and it's not doing either of them any good.  She is going to be more angry about being treated like a child than about having to give up a car.

8 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I think the seaside outing was a moderate success! Only one near drowning and one woman going into labor. Practically perfect. 

LOL  That's a low bar for success!  

Poor Mae/May/Mai (however it is spelled).  Instead of candy and iced buns she should have been rewarded with a firm reminder to not wander off by herself, especially into the water!  (How cold was that water anyway?)

• Like 10

In addition to Fred's helium breath, I wondered why the Turners didn't rush into the water after May/Mei. 

Regardless of logic, every television and movie parent I've heard of should be able to lift cars to save their children - the elderly Turners waited for Cyril and the nurse I can only think of as the new Lucille to save their child.  I don't think Shelagh even got damp.

This wasn't my favorite.  I didn't even finish watching it.  I've said before the May/Mei cultural adoption storyline doesn't work for me, especially if it is  supposed to be 1969.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

As soon as May complained of not feeling well, I knew immediately what was wrong with her (I’m a great armchair diagnostician) I have read about delayed action drowning and it can be serious and even fatal. 
Of course I’m not perfect. I thought that the girl and baby’s eye condition was going to be syphilis

Armchair diagnostician here too, but I didn't think of delayed drowning, just pneumonia from water aspiration. I thought syphilis too for a second (not sure if they did the preventative eye drops then) but then guessed correctly the retinoblastoma.

6 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

The Turners were as terribl

I can totally appreciate how children in a crowd can drown and it happens quite often but how these scenes were filmed were so badly and so fake it really took me out of the story. Plus it took me half the episode to figure out what a lido was.

The sneak peak from the week before was Teddy asking his mother why she was sewing him a dress, and then PBS cuts that scene 🫤

I hate what they are doing with Trixie. If Mr Trixie actor wants to leave the show then just don't write storylines with him. Have Trixie stay at Nonnatus house 3 nights a week and mention his name a couple times and focus on her as a competent midwife. Or kill him at the next Christmas special.

• Like 15
  • LOL 3
57 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

Regardless of logic, every television and movie parent I've heard of should be able to lift cars to save their children - the elderly Turners waited for Cyril and the nurse I can only think of as the new Lucille to save their child.  I don't think Shelagh even got damp.

As a Floridian, I was thinking that thank the Maker you've got two people from an island who know how to swim because everyone else was just standing there and no lifeguards either. Poor NuLucille almost drowned herself and there wasn't even a thank you really.

What bothers me is now we've had two weeks where the previously on the ball medical people have fallen off. Why didn't Trixie give Fred a tetanus shot anyway even if he said he'd had one? Why did Dr Turner take Mae home without a checkup with as much water as she'd inhaled?

7 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

I mean, thank goodness Timothy has his shit together.

YES

Also, on a purely costume note, what is up with poor Trixie's hair? It is either really fried or an awful wig.

7 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

There's no one in the flat water but one lone unattended child and no one can spot her, knowing she's in the water?

Also, it's really cold, so why did she even get in and how did she get that far out? Who did she learn to swim from? Obviously not anyone standing on the shore.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I hate what they are doing with Trixie. If Mr Trixie actor wants to leave the show then just don't write storylines with him. Have Trixie stay at Nonnatus house 3 nights a week and mention his name a couple times and focus on her as a competent midwife. Or kill him at the next Christmas special.

I couldn't agree more!  They have wrecked both characters when Matthew could easily be either written out or put on the back burner if they have to get rid of him. I am bitter that Trixie can't be happy for a while; instead they turned her into an oblivious and shallow woman.

• Like 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

Also, it's really cold, so why did she even get in and how did she get that far out? Who did she learn to swim from?

I don't want to defend these scenes because they were really bad, but as a PSA I will say she was floating on the Lido and they can get out far really fast if there is any kind of wind or current. And some kids seem oblivious to water temp if they are having fun.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Useful 6
14 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I don't want to defend these scenes because they were really bad, but as a PSA I will say she was floating on the Lido and they can get out far really fast if there is any kind of wind or current. And some kids seem oblivious to water temp if they are having fun.

I had a pool growing up and I can attest to that! I remember one year, my friends and I swam way too early in the season (my dad had just opened the pool) with no heater. We had blue lips and shivered but we didn't get out. 

• Like 6

Besides the things mentioned by other posters, the thing that made me facepalm, was the part with the social worker. Why the hell do they have to tell Mays mother about this? Shit happens. But they're going to make this some huge neglect case. And the hark back to when she hurt her foot and had to get stitches. Kids so stupid shit and sometimes get hurt. BFD. What are the Turners supposed to do? Keep her wrapped in cotton her whole life? Next they'll be reporting a paper cut to Mays mother. Ugh. 

And Matthew needs to man up and tell Trixie. But as was common at the time, he's keeping it a secret. Probably doesn't want to "let her down" or some shit. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Stevie Nicks said:

And Matthew needs to man up and tell Trixie. But as was common at the time, he's keeping it a secret. Probably doesn't want to "let her down" or some shit. 

This is an era when the man would hide things like this because they have to appear to be strong. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/18/2024 at 8:10 AM, jah1986 said:

I'm just as frustrated with Matthew as I am with Trixie.

I'm frustrated with the writing. All season long Matthew has made it obvious there are money problems and Trixie remains oblivious despite his obvious distress every time the topic comes up. It makes them both look like idiots. We're five episodes in already and the writers are still dragging this out, without explaining what's going on.

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

I can totally appreciate how children in a crowd can drown and it happens quite often but how these scenes were filmed so badly and so fake it really took me out of the story. Plus it took me half the episode to figure out what a lido was.

The shots from the shoreline made it look like May wasn't very far out. I know currents can be strong, but Cyril and Joyce could have probably stood up where May was and only be waist deep in the water.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, ML89 said:

Also, it's really cold, so why did she even get in and how did she get that far out? Who did she learn to swim from?

Clearly, she didn’t learn to swim from anyone. She was floating on the air mattress. And kids don’t care if it’s cold; they just want to swim. I was surprised there weren’t more kids splashing in the water. I mean, that’s the point of going to the beach.

Although that beach trip looked awful - gale winds, cold temps, looks fun. 

And yes, once they realized May was in trouble, why wasn’t there a dozen people in the water, trying to get her? Instead, they’re all standing on shore, some literally clutching their pearls, murmuring about the poor little poppet. 

Matthew not telling Trixie about their finances is annoying, but I think it’s realistic to the times. The man handled the family finances and the little lady got her allowance to spend. Yeah, I know. Then there’s his shame about not being successful and/or about his father’s financial failings. But yes, it’s time to move on from this plot thread; we get it, Matthew has no money ad Trixie is overspending. Next, please. It does look like they are addressing it next week, thank goodness.

The young couple with the two eye cancer girls was very well done, as sad as it was. They realistically portrayed a couple of irresponsible, too-young parents who suddenly had to step up. 

• Like 11
10 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Although that beach trip looked awful - gale winds, cold temps, looks fun. 

Another day at the beach in England LOL! That's why the beaches of Turkey and Croatia etc are full of Brits with really bad sunburns (in my experience no offence to British people)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8

Just because I had to explain it to my partner because I lived in England for 2-1/2 years,

It's a Lilo, not a Lido. I probably learned it around the same time I found out what a "biro" was.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I have never understood the concept of not discussing finances with your spouse in the grounds that you are protecting them. It never works out, and often ends up with widows not having the faintest idea where all the debts came from. Some protection! 
Of course I’m not perfect. I thought that the girl and baby’s eye condition was going to be syphilis and Melvin was going to be the culprit. I guess it’s a good thing I’m not a doctor. 
May’s problematic mother reappears. I thought May was adopted by now. I didn’t realize she was still only a foster child.  The Turners really had a rough episode with lots of waterworks. 

I could have sworn there was an episode where they celebrated her adoption. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I could have sworn there was an episode where they celebrated her adoption. 

I thought so too but maybe it was when they officially became her Foster Parents? 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Jeffurry said:

Just because I had to explain it to my partner because I lived in England for 2-1/2 years,

It's a Lilo, not a Lido. I probably learned it around the same time I found out what a "biro" was.

I only know about the lilo because I heard it on Coronation Street once and I had no clue what the eff a lilo was 😄 I have Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy to thank for teaching me about biros!

• Like 3
On 3/17/2024 at 9:54 PM, txhorns79 said:

Very realistic for the time, though.

51 minutes ago, Shermie said:

Then there’s his shame about not being successful and/or about his father’s financial failings.

I'd say that's a huge factor in Matthew not telling Trixie about what are obviously huge financial issues.  But he needs to bite the bullet and tell her now.

41 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Another day at the beach in England LOL! That's why the beaches of Turkey and Croatia etc are full of Brits with really bad sunburns (in my experience no offence to British people)

And Marbella, which often seems more English than Spanish with all the sunburned expats.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Even at its warmest, water in the English Channel never gets out of the mid 60's F.  There are very few people swimming without wetsuits in that.  I don't get why, since this was a planned trip for the entire neighborhood; that the adults hadn't gotten together when they arrived and arranged a schedule so that at least one adult had their eyes on the water at all times.  While the Turners were obviously ultimately responsible for May, it seemed like there were dozens of other adults there and someone should've noticed her floating out too far long before they did.

Trixie and Matthew just tick me off. It drives me nuts when people don't talk and miss obvious signals from their partners as to problems.  Trixie figures she is married to an upper middle class man who has never lacked for anything materially.  It is not wrong for her to think that a second car and a good preschool were practical and well within their reach.  

Meanwhile, Matthew is apparently not so macho that he cannot take care of their child while she works at Nonnatus; but has been unable to articulate that they are going to have to forego some niceties for a bit until he figures out their finances.

On a shallow now, Trixie's wig is no bueno, but her beach attire was perfect.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Blackie said:

Armchair diagnostician here too, but I didn't think of delayed drowning, just pneumonia from water aspiration.

Dry drowning and aspiration pneumonia are essentially the same thing.                                                                     

14 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

"My chest hurts" should have been a pretty big clue to her medically-trained parents.

11 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

• Also, Patrick was right, he should have taken her in for a chest x-ray just to be safe - that's free from the NHS, right? She horked up a lot of water, so aspiration should be assumed.

An immediate x-ray wouldn't have shown anything. It takes a few hours for the pneumonia to set it. That is why anyone with a near drowning episode today spends a night in the hospital being monitored.

When she complained of chest pain and had a fever is when he should have immediately thought of a chest x-ray "just to be sure."

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, Daff said:

Trixie, herself, never really had to economize due to the “clothing allowance” she used to receive from her aunt.

I am pretty sure Trixie grew up poor, and she knows what it's like to have to economize. I thought the clothing allowance from the aunt started when she was an adult, or at least no longer a child. 

4 hours ago, Blackie said:

I hate what they are doing with Trixie. If Mr Trixie actor wants to leave the show then just don't write storylines with him. Have Trixie stay at Nonnatus house 3 nights a week and mention his name a couple times and focus on her as a competent midwife. 

Turning him into an off-screen character could work really well. She could mention him and the things they've done together. There could also be phone calls where we only hear her side of the conversation.   

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

It's a mystery that Trixie isn't concussed due to the number of falling anvils.  Good grief, for someone trained to make keep observations she is remarkably obtuse!

I, too, was flummoxed about the number of adults watching the drowning unfold,  just wringing their hands.  Although the water was, in reality, quite shallow;  Cyril was only knee deep when he flung himself in to swim dramatically to the rescue.  But, of course, the story.....and probably the safety laws for the kid.

I am not surprised by the official visit to the Turners; yes, accidents happen but her mother has every right to be concerned about something like a drowning.  She's half a world away and the safety of her daughter is in the hands of virtual strangers.  We know they are good people but she has only reports to go by.

Certainly a remarkable transformation by the young parents.  Hope it lasts.

Love Phyllis and Miss Higgins more each week.

Overall, not a favorite episode for me.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

So no lifeguards on England's shores? 

"My chest hurts" should have been a pretty big clue to her medically-trained parents.

Seriously! This is just bad writing. Makes the Turners look like lunkheads. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

It's a mystery that Trixie isn't concussed due to the number of falling anvils.  Good grief, for someone trained to make keep observations she is remarkably obtuse!

That made my day! 

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

Besides the things mentioned by other posters, the thing that made me facepalm, was the part with the social worker. Why the hell do they have to tell Mays mother about this?

I presume the social workers notified her mother when May was admitted to the hospital in serious condition and was getting worse.  The foster care agreement could well include a clause that the biologic parent be notified if the child is hospitalized.  And, when told the child had suffered near-drowning, I think any bio parent would want to make sure there was an investigation into the circumstances and that the child was being cared for properly.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

I don't get why, since this was a planned trip for the entire neighborhood; that the adults hadn't gotten together when they arrived and arranged a schedule so that at least one adult had their eyes on the water at all times

We may be looking at this from a 2024 lens were we have all probably had swimming and water safety education.(Although Fred the safety guy should have been on it, I agree) But even these days children drown every year at pool parties and beaches because people assume because lots of adults and lifeguards  are around that the kids are safe. As a lifeguard - in-previous -life , I go nuts at pools and beaches at how inattentive some people are with their children. Drowning can and does happen so quickly.

2 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Dry drowning and aspiration pneumonia are essentially the same thing.   

Yaa I am better than I thought!!

• Like 6

Question though.  Was dry drowning a widely recognized medical condition back in the 60s?  I got the impression from the episode that Timothy only knew about it because of a case he'd seen in the hospital during his training. 

As a General Practitioner and a trained Midwife, it's not exactly something that Patrick or Shelagh would necessarily have come across.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Blackie said:

But even these days children drown every year at pool parties and beaches because people assume because lots of adults and lifeguards  are around that the kids are safe. As a lifeguard - in-previous -life , I go nuts at pools and beaches at how inattentive some people are with their children. Drowning can and does happen so quickly.

For me, it's the parents thinking their kids are safe with water wings or other flotation devices that brings me to near hysteria. Those things are a death sentence waiting to happen. The kids using them are too young to understand "I'll float if I have them on but sink to the bottom without them." They see no reason not to enter a pool on their own without their floaties.

The vast majority of home pool drownings are toddlers who enter a pool unsupervised within an hour of having been swimming with a flotation device when a parent was poolside. I wish those things would be banned and Infant Survival Training was mandatory for all kids before they are mobile enough to get themselves into a pool on their own.

• Applause 3
10 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Question though.  Was dry drowning a widely recognized medical condition back in the 60s?  I got the impression from the episode that Timothy only knew about it because of a case he'd seen in the hospital during his training. 

As a General Practitioner and a trained Midwife, it's not exactly something that Patrick or Shelagh would necessarily have come across.

I'm not letting them off that easily. Even if secondary drowning hadn't been widely known back then, a child coming to you immediately after a water incident with a fever and saying her chest hurt should have at least set off some alarm bells from her medically trained parents instead of "a good night's sleep will do you wonders."

Just considering the possibility that something in the water had irritated her throat, her bronchioles or her lungs should have been basic logic to them.

• Like 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blackie said:

We may be looking at this from a 2024 lens were we have all probably had swimming and water safety education.(Although Fred the safety guy should have been on it, I agree) But even these days children drown every year at pool parties and beaches because people assume because lots of adults and lifeguards  are around that the kids are safe. As a lifeguard - in-previous -life , I go nuts at pools and beaches at how inattentive some people are with their children. Drowning can and does happen so quickly.

We used to have pool parties often. I remember one year, our neighbor's daughter fell in our pool. She was maybe 4 and our pool was new. She had been swimming in there before but always had a on a life jacket and us kids in the pool would keep an eye out on here. Her mother and my mom would sit near by and keep an eye out too. This time, everyone was milling about and no one was swimming. I remember her father jumping in without hesitation to get her. She didn't sink and was perfectly fine except for crying. 

After that,  her parents made sure she learned how to swim. My parents lived there for many years more and as she grew up, she swam often at our house. But things can  happen in a split second. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

We used to have pool parties often. I remember one year, our neighbor's daughter fell in our pool. She was maybe 4 and our pool was new. She had been swimming in there before but always had a on a life jacket and us kids in the pool would keep an eye out on here. Her mother and my mom would sit near by and keep an eye out too. This time, everyone was milling about and no one was swimming. I remember her father jumping in without hesitation to get her. She didn't sink and was perfectly fine except for crying. 

After that,  her parents made sure she learned how to swim. My parents lived there for many years more and as she grew up, she swam often at our house. But things can  happen in a split second. 

My nephew drowned in an outdoor pool at an apartment complex; it'll be 33 years next week.  It was off-season and the management had done nothing to winterize the pool and there was about 6 feet of rain and snow runoff in the diving well.  He was playing at a friend's house and the dad had spoken to both kids about 5 minutes before they disappeared.  My nephew had taken swimming classes, but that doesn't do much when you fall in fully clothed and the water is cold.  The other kid also fell in, no one witnessed it.  The other kid survived.  He had a tracheotomy, a feeding tube and a mental age of 2 months afterwards.  There are things worse than death.  There is no amount of caution that is ever enough when it comes to kids and water.

I was a kid in the 60's and we went to the beach a lot in the summer, we lived on Lake Erie.  My parents took turns watching us when we were anywhere near the water and, as we got old enough to help, we got assigned beach duty, too.  If my parents knew to keep a close eye on kids at the beach in the 60's, the Turners should've known too.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Sad 5
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

My nephew drowned in an outdoor pool at an apartment complex.  It was off-season and the management had done nothing to winterize the pool and there was about 6 feet of rain and snow runoff in the diving well.  He was playing at a friend's house and the dad had spoken to both kids about 5 minutes before they disappeared.  My nephew had taken swimming classes, but that doesn't do much when you fall in fully clothed and the water is cold.  The other kid also fell in, no one witnessed it.  The other kid survived.  He had a tracheotomy, a feeding tube and a mental age of 2 months afterwards.  There are things worse than death.  There is no amount of caution that is ever enough when it comes to kids and water.

I was a kid in the 60's and we went to the beach a lot in the summer, we lived on Lake Erie.  My parents took turns watching us when we were anywhere near the water and, as we got old enough to help, we got assigned beach duty, too.  If my parents knew to keep a close eye on kids at the beach in the 60's, the Turners should've known too.

That is just terribly sad. And yes, there are things worse than death. 

I can't remember why this little girl fell in the water. Her parents would not allow her to swim unless my parents invited her and no one was in the water. Maybe she tripped because she wasn't the kind to just jump in. She was smart enough to know she couldn't swim. I'm still friends with her and I wonder if 50 years later, she remembers anything. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

The other kid survived.  He had a tracheotomy, a feeding tube and a mental age of 2 months afterwards.  There are things worse than death.  There is no amount of caution that is ever enough when it comes to kids and water.

This happened to a couple my mother knew (in fact, theirs was possibly the first wedding I attended, when I was around five). Their son was around three when it happened. I don't think he needed a trach long term, but definitely a feeding tube due to the brain damage. He died at a fairly young age. The parents blamed each other for allowing it to happen and it led them to divorce, and eventually the husband committed suicide. It was terrible all around.

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 5

My mother’s older brother drowned in a lake in Ontario cottage country when he was 17 and she was younger than ten - this was back in the 1940s. When I was growing up, she was always so anxious when I was at the beach or a swimming pool. I remember when I was growing up, our neighbours had a swimming pool, and even if they invited me over to swim I couldn’t go unless my father or (8 yrs older than me) brother were with me. And the neighbours were a police officer and an ER nurse! But after I had my own children I completely understood why she was so anxious.

• Like 6

Even if May didn't have water in her lungs, she could have gotten enough in her throat that could cause infection.  Also, I know Sheleigh is her mother, but she is also a nurse and was pretty useless after the incident with her dramatic crying. Thank God  for Teddy indeed!

I feel like if Phyllis hadn't had to leave with the girl in labor, This all would not have happened because her and Miss Higgins would have spotted May in the water before she even went out far.

On another issue, have the other two girls in training ever uttered a word?  I've only seen them sitting at the table at tea or waving when everyone else left to go to the beach.

• Like 6