Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: A Weiner Schnitzel and Underwear in a Tree

• Start Topic

Love how Missy turned into a grownup overnight. “Did you wash your hands?”  “I’m not air conditioning the whole neighborhood.”

I guess it could get old fast, but for now it’s funny. Maybe it’s the coffee. 

• Like 18
  • Love 1

I don’t know who I hated more this episode: Mary for her usual control freak self or Pastor Jeff and his hypocritical bitch of a wife for stealing Connie’s money and buying a TV. No, Pastor Jeff does not get brownie points for giving the TV to the Coopers in the end, especially since they don’t know why.

Good for Missy stepping up. I have a feeling it won’t last, but let’s enjoy it while it does.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

"The people of Germany are obsessed with rules and devoid of humor. I am home."

A 27-inch TV. Ginormous!

"I'm from America."
"No kidding."

"...and bless the hands that prepared it. Which are mine." Missy turning into her mom was kinda funny but also kinda sad.

Guess that German bier is stronger than she's used to.

• Like 12
(edited)

Oh, how I have missed the show! And when I watched it tonight, I developed theory. I think that all of the references we’ve heard over the years to George’s drunkenness, and the story of him cheating wasn’t really him. What if it was Mary? And it all took place during the trip to Germany. She’s already been out drinking and getting quite wasted. And we’ve never actually seen George drunk. *Mary* is the one who is unable to moderate. What if it was Mary that Sheldon walked in on? And then George’s death came so quickly afterwards that as a coping mechanism Sheldon was denial about which parent cheated. A combination of deep grief for his father and anger at his death. If he thinks of George as a bad person, it’s easier to cope with him being gone.

this would also explain Mary’s religious fanaticism when we meet her in Big Bang Theory. She is carrying around a tremendous load of guilt. I know we see her very religious in this show, but BBT took it to a whole other level.

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

That Pastor Jeff should have chosen a wife more wisely, but that doesn't excuse him from not returning that money immediately.  And confessing where the TV came from when returning it.

Good on Missy for stepping up.

And, yeah, I guess a cup of coffee and a cup of sugar would give her a bit of a buzz.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don’t know who I hated more this episode: Mary for her usual control freak self or Pastor Jeff and his hypocritical bitch of a wife for stealing Connie’s money and buying a TV.

In Mary's defense, I'd want to get back home too if my community just got hit by a tornado and my mother's house was destroyed.  I wouldn't care how many people told me not to worry about it and not to come home!

• Like 14
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

In Mary's defense, I'd want to get back home too if my community just got hit by a tornado and my mother's house was destroyed.  I wouldn't care how many people told me not to worry about it and not to come home!

I’d agree if it wasn’t for the fact that she wanted to drag Sheldon with her even though he was enrolled in classes. George and Connie were right: her coming back wouldn’t help anything, it would only complicate things more and she’d most likely wind up getting on everyone’s nerves. 

And for all her preaching about how Sheldon should “be there” for Connie, she sure was quick to keep him from talking to her on the phone to offer any condolences merely because she didn’t want either of them to know she was lying. Because, as always, it’s Mary’s way or the highway.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 13
  • Love 2

Mary tends to approach things in the wrong way, but in this instance, her heart was in the right place for wanting to be with her family.  Drunk Mary is pretty funny though. 

• Like 7

Missy morphing into Mary ... who'da thunk it?

Even more amazing, though, was Young(ish) Sheldon almost physically morphing into Big Bang Sheldon. Amazing!

Think I love Dale. Not sure that's something to be proud of. 😂🤣😂

• Like 6

Best episode of the series, IMO.

I initially was as mad at the pastor and his wife for manufacturing reasons to keep an elderly, homeless widow's money. 

Then I thought it might work out as a kind of de facto blackmail effect.
That is: neither the pastor nor his wife would ever rat on Memaw because they were watching the fruits of the poisonous tree. 📺
I'm not sure that the pastor giving them the TV was better, even though they are a TV-watching family.

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, MollyMelrose said:

Missy morphing into Mary ... who'da thunk it?

I think the near-death experience with the tornado was a catalyst for her to step up to the plate while Mary is gone.  I was actually shocked that Missy knew how to cook!  I don't recall ever seeing her cook or bake anything, so good for her for figuring it out!  

• Like 5

It doesn't surprise me too much.  Maybe Missy did a lot with Meemaw.  Or...it was like me where my mom didn't like me in the way in the kitchen, so never let me help, but I certainly observed what she did, and how she did it.  She never directly taught me to cook, but I learned from her nonetheless.  

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

don’t know who I hated more this episode: Mary for her usual control freak self or Pastor Jeff and his hypocritical bitch of a wife for stealing Connie’s money and buying a TV

Didn’t his wife use to be (or still is?) a police officer too? Are there any cops with integrity in this town?

Honestly, how do you not get tornado coverage in Texas? What did her insurance cover then exactly? Just flood?

3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

It doesn't surprise me too much.  Maybe Missy did a lot with Meemaw.  Or...it was like me where my mom didn't like me in the way in the kitchen, so never let me help, but I certainly observed what she did, and how she did it.  She never directly taught me to cook, but I learned from her nonetheless.  

I think you are right, I think they were cooking something with Meemaw that time when Missy dated the kid who decided to crush on Meemaw instead.

• Like 10
32 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I think the near-death experience with the tornado was a catalyst for her to step up to the plate while Mary is gone.  I was actually shocked that Missy knew how to cook!  I don't recall ever seeing her cook or bake anything, so good for her for figuring it out!  

Missy was my favorite part of the episode. I’m waiting for a throwaway line when Mary gets home about how Missy made something better than Mary. I’m just a little disappointed that we didn’t get a scene with Billy stopping by and complementing Missy on her cooking. 

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, shura said:

Honestly, how do you not get tornado coverage in Texas? What did her insurance cover then exactly? Just flood?

I don't think most homeowners' insurance covers floods, either. Every time I get my renewal packet it includes a reminder that it doesn't cover floods and I have to buy separate coverage if I want that. (I don't live in a flood-prone area and I also live on the second floor, so I don't have it.)

47 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I think the near-death experience with the tornado was a catalyst for her to step up to the plate while Mary is gone. 

She also told George after the tornado (while they were still sitting on the ground) that she'll be better (since she was in trouble before that, though I forget for what). So this is her way of being a better daughter, especially since her mom's not there and her dad and brother are kinda useless as far as home stuff goes.

• Like 11

I enjoyed the jokes and deplored the behavior, so it was business as usual.

I was thinking that Missy has always been "the practical one" while Sheldon was "the smart one", so she's been practicing for this all her life.

"Who put you in charge?"

(EVERYONE RAISES HANDS)🤣

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Starchild said:

Like maybe someone who didn't look like she could be his twin sister?

😂😂 I noticed that too. Is it the same actress who's always played his wife? I don't remember them looking that much alike😂

And my favorite scene was Dale and Missy having coffee😂

So what did you do that pissed her off? And all that sugar!

Who would've thought I'd end up liking Dale?😂

Edited by mammaM
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

I don't find vomiting particularly amusing but apparently Chuck Lorre does.  This is at least the second time in YS they have featured it and not only did we have to endure Mary but oh so much funnier to add Sheldon in as well.  So much wasted time in this very short season.

No words for Pastor Jeff.  Never liked him, still don't.  Add hypocrite to the list of adjectives that describe him.

I think George could have cooked for his family and taken charge.  It was nice to see Missy do it but it was his place.  I would have expected Meemaw to take over but she had her own serious problems.  

But....if anyone is continuing to read while I rant....I finally enjoyed Dale, thought Mandy and Georgie were ok (but they could have helped as well), Sheldon was his usual self and the less we see and hear of Mary the better. But now I know I don't like sober Mary and I don't like drunk Mary either.  Interestingly to me I loved Laurie Metcalf's Mary.  I don't know if it is the writing or the actress. I really don't want to see Zoe Perry in the spinoff.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

Mary tends to approach things in the wrong way, but in this instance, her heart was in the right place for wanting to be with her family.  Drunk Mary is pretty funny though. 

I always thought drunk Sheldon on TBBT was funny, so it makes sense to me that drunk Mary would be funny as well. 

15 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

I was actually shocked that Missy knew how to cook!  I don't recall ever seeing her cook or bake anything, so good for her for figuring it out!  

To be fair, she was not doing a super complicated elaborate multi-course meal. Pasta is pretty easy to make. If she can read the directions on the box and knows how to work the burners, she can probably make pasta. 

5 hours ago, appositival said:

I was thinking that Missy has always been "the practical one" while Sheldon was "the smart one", so she's been practicing for this all her life.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense and is an accurate assessment. 

2 hours ago, NoReally said:

I'll be very disappointed if Missy doesn't get her own show.

Seriously! I would much rather have Young Missy than the spin-off they are actually doing with Georgie and Mandy. 

I do like Missy taking charge and doing what needs to be done. I wonder how long it will last. Probably until Mary gets home. 

• Like 4

Missy stepping up was fun, who would have thought that she would become her mother while Mary would be off getting drunk in Germany. Reminded me a bit of that alternate universe episode with party girl Mary and super religious George. 

I appreciate Mary wanting to go home but staying was the right call. There wasn't exactly anything they could do and Sheldon really would have been losing out on a really great opportunity, one of the few times his fit was probably justified. 

Pastor Jeff's wife is pretty awful, I bet she was also leading the charge to throw Mary out of the church after the pregnancy. 

WAY too soon Dale, but come on. You live in Texas, get tornado insurance! 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I would much rather have Young Missy than the spin-off they are actually doing with Georgie and Mandy. 

I like the whole Cooper family, but I am ambivalent about Mandy. Nothing about the character interests me, she's just there.

So with her as a main character, I'm unlikely to watch. We'll see if the finished show throws anything more into the pot to tip me towards watching it.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

To be fair, she was not doing a super complicated elaborate multi-course meal. Pasta is pretty easy to make. If she can read the directions on the box and knows how to work the burners, she can probably make pasta.

She did have to brown the ground beef for the spaghetti - which isn't difficult, but since I haven't seen her cook a meal before (maybe baked some cookies?), I was impressed that she pulled the meal together (same with breakfast!).  

She matured from a whiny teenager into a very capable young lady!  Good for Missy!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Dirge said:

This episode made me long for the days when you just plugged a TV in, in about 30 seconds. 

Yep, if you could still bend down after lugging the 90+ lb. thing inside:

image.png.f51dac3b470e108425553e0dcfb382ea.png

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

“I’m not air conditioning the whole neighborhood.”

That was my favorite line.

As for the 90 lb. TV, a big guy like George should be able to handle that without any trouble, and besides he called for Georgie to help him.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Starchild said:

I like the whole Cooper family, but I am ambivalent about Mandy. Nothing about the character interests me, she's just there.

"She's just there" really says it all for me also.  I don't find the character interesting, funny, smart or entertaining.  Mandy is just very dull.  I noticed in the opening sequence where they step away from the cow that Mandy is now included holding the baby.  That seems to suggest that she will be around for a while possibly in a spin off.  I guess never say never to watching such a show, but they would have to do something to make her character a lot better for me to watch.  

• Like 4
8 hours ago, snarkylady said:

I loved Laurie Metcalf's Mary.  I don't know if it is the writing or the actress. I really don't want to see Zoe Perry in the spinoff.

I liked Mary in the first few seasons, but she's gotten so strident and selfish that it's hard to root for her anymore.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, freeser said:

"She's just there" really says it all for me also.  I don't find the character interesting, funny, smart or entertaining.  Mandy is just very dull.  I noticed in the opening sequence where they step away from the cow that Mandy is now included holding the baby.  That seems to suggest that she will be around for a while possibly in a spin off.  I guess never say never to watching such a show, but they would have to do something to make her character a lot better for me to watch.  

I just can't believe that with all the interesting ideas that were floating around about a potential spin-off this is the direction they've chosen to go.  She and Georgie don't have the star attraction and super-funny lines to carry a show by themselves.  It looks like they're teasing us with them living with her parents for a while.  That doesn't seem that interesting either and I love Will Sasso.  

• Like 6

I actually had that TV. What Pastor said was true. It really was intensely sharp, big and beautiful....for the time. When I upgraded to LED smart TV many years later I had two to get rid of. They worked perfectly, so I put them on my lawn with a sign Works Fine Free. They were moved a bit but still there the next day. Darn things had a huge picture tube and old school parts and chassis. So heavy no single passer by could move it. LOL! City finally carted them away for me.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I actually had that TV. What Pastor said was true. It really was intensely sharp, big and beautiful....for the time. When I upgraded to LED smart TV many years later I had two to get rid of. They worked perfectly, so I put them on my lawn with a sign Works Fine Free. They were moved a bit but still there the next day. Darn things had a huge picture tube and old school parts and chassis. So heavy no single passer by could move it. LOL! City finally carted them away for me.

I had a 27" JVC that looked just like that.  I didn't get rid of it until 2010 when I got my first HDTV flat screen.  When I saw this one for a minute I thought it was the same model!  I gasped because I thought that would be too recent for this show but then I realized how long I owned that TV and how far this show has advanced in years.

• Like 3
On 2/15/2024 at 8:37 PM, ams1001 said:

Guess that German bier is stronger than she's used to.

If you were raised on Coors or PBR most German beers would be a transcendent experience. She may have had a second glass.

(full disclosure, I've never tasted Lone Star Beer)

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just can't believe that with all the interesting ideas that were floating around about a potential spin-off this is the direction they've chosen to go.  She and Georgie don't have the star attraction and super-funny lines to carry a show by themselves.  It looks like they're teasing us with them living with her parents for a while.  That doesn't seem that interesting either and I love Will Sasso.  

And when we know for a fact that they won't end up together in the end it feels like it would be kind of depressing to watch a show revolving around them.

• Like 13
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, appositival said:

If you were raised on Coors or PBR most German beers would be a transcendent experience.

Many years ago, Mr. Chat worked for a man from Germany.  He said that American beer is piss water.  He wouldn't drink it.  In fact, he had his own little still that he made his own alcoholic beverages.  His wife made the best egg liqueur. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

The problem isn't just the weight but there's no convenient way for a single person to carry it. No handles or handholds.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
23 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

Maybe she just cut up some hot dogs?

That would make sense. They have talked about hot dogs and spaghetti as a meal they eat on a fairly regular basis. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Mary is one of those ego-driven moms that can be so overbearing to watch.  

In Medford, there are 2 physical children (Missy and CeCe) being tended to by FIVE adults (George, Georgie, Mandy, Connie & Dale).  Yet Mary still thinks SHE is the only sort of "glue" that can hold the group together. 

Frankly, she's the least-needed adult involved.  I'd like them to minimize her role for a while.  

And Schnitzel is delicious, Sheldon!!!

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Mary is one of those ego-driven moms that can be so overbearing to watch.  

In Medford, there are 2 physical children (Missy and CeCe) being tended to by FIVE adults (George, Georgie, Mandy, Connie & Dale).  Yet Mary still thinks SHE is the only sort of "glue" that can hold the group together. 

Frankly, she's the least-needed adult involved.  I'd like them to minimize her role for a while.  

Sure.

But to be fair to Mary feeling like she should go back to Texas ASAP in the aftermath of the tornado:

• The baby is at an age when she requires 24/7 care.
  • Georgie and Mandy have been relying on Connie’s help, and Mary’s mother is now homeless.
  • I doubt Mary could have predicted Missy would react to a near death experience by going into adult mode, including cooking for everyone. 
    And how long can it last before Missy melts down?
  • It looks like George isn’t contributing much, which Mary is likely picturing

But mostly:
Wasn't there an episode in which Mary rose to the occasion in a crisis and was genuinely supportive? 

Or not?

Regardless, leave Sheldon in Germany.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3