Type keyword(s) to search

The 96th Academy Awards

• Start Topic

I’m now reading in Deadline about all of the In Memoriam omissions.  There were many that I didn’t think of, besides dear Treat.  Norman Lear, Burt Young, Cormac McCarthy, Frederick Forrest, Lance Reddick who’s been mentioned here.  And they’re saying that Treat was in that small print of names that appeared in the big circle at the end of the Memoriam.  The consensus is that the whole thing was a massive fail.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 2

I don’t have the biggest tv in the world and I couldn’t make out any of the in memoriam names. The circle of names at the end was completely too small to be legible. Total fail, especially since this is what these people do for a living. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Regarding Al Pacino not reading the nominees, I have a vague memory of this happening before--Bette Davis in her later years.  She later claimed she was told not to read the nominees.  She obviously misunderstood.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Laurie4H said:

The Trump joke was lame.  I just don’t like those jokes at awards shows.  It alienates people.  

When a former president posts about you on social media during the show, I think you kind of have to respond!

23 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Regarding Al Pacino not reading the nominees, I have a vague memory of this happening before--Bette Davis in her later years.  She later claimed she was told not to read the nominees.  She obviously misunderstood.

But none of the presenters were reading the nominees live, I don't think - the show was playing them precorded, reading the nominees. So I guess Pacino didn't know or understand that that part was coming. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Al Pacino seemed unprepared and befuddled.  The last and biggest award of the night and he was pretty clueless up there.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Dirge said:

But none of the presenters were reading the nominees live, I don't think - the show was playing them precorded, reading the nominees. So I guess Pacino didn't know or understand that that part was coming. 

Oh OK, lol.  I haven't seen the broadcast yet.  It's on my DVR waiting for me.  I've just been reading this thread.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, TenPea said:

Why, why do they put these older people to give out the most important award?  It is always so painful to watch.  Pacino is a God of movies.  But also has a reputation for not being one for public speaking.

And as Kimmel said, he found a babysitter! (At 82, Pacino recently had a 4th child.  De Niro recently had a new baby at 79, and since the mother accompanied him to the ceremony, they definitely found a babysitter.)

(edited)
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

I’m now reading in Deadline about all of the In Memoriam omissions.  There were many that I didn’t think of, besides dear Treat.  Norman Lear, Burt Young, Cormac McCarthy, Frederick Forrest, Lance Reddick who’s been mentioned here.  And they’re saying that Treat was in that small print of names that appeared in the big circle at the end of the Memoriam.  The consensus is that the whole thing was a massive fail.  

Did Norman Lear do movies? I think of him as a TV person. Treat Williams and Lance Reddick were some of the names I saw in the big list at the end. I also caught Ron Cephas Jones, Sinead O’Connor and Suzanne Sommers. It went off the screen too fast before I could read the others. (I had no problems reading the names during the montage though.)

eta: just watched it again and Norman Lear was also in the big list at the end.

I don’t know what Pacino was doing. I really wish they would stop bringing out the octogenarians to announce the Best Picture. It is always awkward. He made it so anti-climactic, you could tell the audience wasn’t sure how to respond after he said “My eyes see Oppenheimer.” There were several beats before anyone clapped or the theme music started. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Oh OK, lol.  I haven't seen the broadcast yet.  It's on my DVR waiting for me.  I've just been reading this thread.

Ha, after you watch it you can let me know if you agree - I *think* the nominees' names were precorded! 

• Thanks 1
(edited)

i have to say, with the exception of the in memoriam (while bad, i’ve seen worse), it was a good show: minimal mindless banter between presenters; only one over-the-top production number, which was a lot of fun; the tequila bit with the audience was mercifully short, as were the acceptance speeches — did anyone get played off? 

i mentioned upthread that i thought they might have taken a page from the writerless tony award show and realized that less really is more.

now, if they could just crack the in memoriam…

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Like 8
(edited)

I loved every minute of this telecast, except for the In Memoriam segment. Not only was it ruined by the dancers and too many people on the stage, all the busyness totally took away from the performance of the sublime Andre Bocelli and his son Mateo. All the segment needed was them, with the focus on the pictures of those who passed. It was an abomination that those who have passed, as well as the world renowned singer Bocelli were relegated to second fiddle. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Like 9
6 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

Exactly.. I wanted to pause...take a picture of the screen and then zoom. Pretty sure they didn't even mention Treat Williams...Matthew Perry was just a quick pIc...WTF!!????

This is why it would have been better if the names filled the screen of the TV viewers, instead showing the stage just to highlight the dancers and singers. 

The Emmys were able to strike the perfect balance between having singers and giving respect to the people in the montage. When they were showing the singers, they stopped showing people on the screen, when they started showing the In Memoriam again, they cut off from the singers. Simple as that, really.

On another note, I got sad again to see Lee Sun-Kyun included in the montage. He was included in the SAG one but I din’t think he would be in the Oscars because the Oscars tend to include a lot of entertainment people behind the scenes, and there wouldn’t be enough time for everyone. Then again, he was an integral part of a trailblazing Best Picture winner. I hope his death is the catalyst to change SK’s seemingly screwed up laws and culture re: drug use.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t know what Pacino was doing. I really wish they would stop bringing out the octogenarians to announce the Best Picture. It is always awkward. He made it so anti-climactic, you could tell the audience wasn’t sure how to respond after he said “My eyes see Oppenheimer.” There were several beats before anyone clapped or the theme music started. 

Pacino didn’t know what he was doing either. That’s what the ceremony’s director is supposed to be doing, right?
The best moments were off-script, and it’s great to allow room for that in a sea of actors. But make sure the old-school old guy gets a rehearsal, or else don’t trot him out there to be humiliated.

• Like 4
(edited)

Full list of winners...

‘Oppenheimer’ Reigns at Oscars With Seven Wins, Including Best Picture and Director: Full Winners List
By Brent Lang, Jordan Moreau   Mar 10, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/oscar-winners-2024-list-1235932341/

Some of my favorite parts...

Oscars 2024: John Mulaney thinks "Field of Dreams" should have been nominated for Best Picture
ABC News   Mar 11, 2024

Ryan Gosling and Mark Ronson Perform 'I'm Just Ken' at Oscars 2024
ABC   Mar 10, 2024

Oscars 2024: Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt exchange playful barbs at the Academy Awards
ABC News   Mar 10, 2024

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That had me 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂 along with  Keaton’s deadpan face and curling of his fingers-like- Bring it on!

He was WASTED in that Flash abomination. WASTED, I tell you!

Other than the Memorium, it was a decent show. I wish that Best Actress had been a tie so that both Emma and Lily could win. I’d really love to believe that Lily will get another chance, but we all saw what happened with Angela Bassett last year.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I feel like the past winners are presenting their candidates for elections.

Thank the LORD the speeches got shorter when they got to the Best Actor/Actress categories. That first set was excruciating.

Edited by Milburn Stone
(edited)

Oscars Analysis: Why ‘Oppenheimer’ Dominated, ‘Killers’ Crashed and ‘Poor Things’ Outperformed ‘Barbie’
BY SCOTT FEINBERG   MARCH 11, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/oscars-2024-analysis-oppenheimer-dominated-poor-things-outperformed-barbie-killers-of-the-flower-moon-1235849039/ 

The Oppy campaign started with the inarguable premise that Nolan was very overdue for recognition. It continued with a film that truly delivered, and that still feels timely and urgent, even 80 years after the events it chronicles, thanks to Vladimir Putin’s nuclear saber-rattling. It was turbo-charged by — alongside Barbie — drawing people back to movie theaters in numbers not seen since before the global pandemic. And it was carefully managed thereafter, with subtle efforts seemingly undertaken to make the very British Nolan (who is repped by ID’s Kelly Bush Novak) seem less aloof, to keep Downey on message and to help people to “discover” Murphy (even though he has been appearing in films for decades, including five others with Nolan).

Speaking of Barbie, the other half of the “Barbenheimer” craze that defined 2023, Greta Gerwig’s film took home just one Oscar, best original song, for “What Was I Made For?” (making 22-year-old Billie Eilish the youngest and 26-year-old Finneas the second-youngest two-time Oscar winners ever). The Academy has never had a particularly great sense of humor, generally preferring “serious” fare like Oppy to comedies/dramedies like Barbie. But Gerwig, producer/star Margot Robbie and the team at Warner Bros. (who ran a dynamic push that was recognized with the best motion picture publicity campaign award at Friday’s ICG Publicists Awards) won “the Bank of America Award” — as in, more than a billion dollars at the box office — which must be a nice consolation.

Oscars’ Most Memorable Moments: The Kens Reunion, John Cena Going (Nearly) Nude and Messi the Dog’s Surprise Cameo
BY CARLY THOMAS, CHRISTY PIÑA, LEXY PEREZ, ZOE G PHILLIPS, TATIANA TENREYRO   MARCH 10, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-2024-best-worst-moments-1235847331/ 

The 2024 Oscars were one to remember, bringing the audience to tears at some moments and laughter at others. From Ryan Gosling reuniting with the Kens from Barbie to John Cena going nearly nude onstage and Al Pacino skipping announcing the best picture nominees, here are some of Sunday night’s most memorable moments.

2024 Oscars Recap: From the Winners to All the Best Moments
By Lindsay Kimble  March 10, 2024 
https://people.com/oscars-2024-full-recap-8605179 

Ryan Gosling sliding into his seat and tipping his cowboy hat over his eyes to kick off his Barbie performance. 

Immediately after Gosling's performance, Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig collapsing in their seats, America Ferrera near them, as Greta makes a “mind-blown” gesture with both hands.

bradley-cooper-slash-robert-downey-oscar

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

This is Maestro's only chance to win something and instead Sound goes to Zone of Interest. I think Cooper needs to step back and reassess his next projects. Maybe just do producing for a little while.

Maybe a minority opinion, but I don't get why the zeitgeist turned on Maestro. Best movie against some really formidable competition? Probably not. But well-written, well-directed, well-produced, and well-acted. And it felt like a fresh way to do the biopic genre. I guess the world has to agree to pick on somebody every year.

• Like 7
  • Angry 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

He was WASTED in that Flash abomination. WASTED, I tell you!

I disagree that he was wasted, because he certainly was the best thing in that movie.

I really like the majority of the presenters - a great mix of the classics (Beetlejuice, Twins), and the new gen (Anya, Zendaya). And then having most of them present more than one award really helped with the pacing, and letting the viewers get to appreciate them more. The 5-presenter bit thing was also a great mix of 3 generations there, appealing to a wide group of audience.

I was really happy to see JLaw there for Emma’s win, especially. They came up in the business together and are contemporaries. JLaw got a little ahead on the critical acclaim, but Emma eventually caught up.

I just wish though that the stars of the other smaller movies got spots on the presenter lists. I mean I love both Emily and Ryan, obviously they represented the two biggest movies of the year, but do we really need Kate and America in there too? Let Greta Lee and maybe Dominic Sessa present instead.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 6

I'm glad others liked Emma's speech, but...Call me old, but if you even have a chance of winning an award, prepare something cogent and meaningful, deliver it coherently, and thank the Academy graciously. This blubbering flood of emotion just makes it even more "about you" than winning an Academy Award!

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I'm glad others liked Emma's speech, but...Call me old, but if you even have a chance of winning an award, prepare something cogent and meaningful, deliver it coherently, and thank the Academy graciously. This blubbering flood of emotion just makes it even more "about you" than winning an Academy Award!

Maybe she really thought Lily was going to win? First Native American and all? The Academy digs this sort of thing. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

I think that she, like many others bought into the hype that Lily was going to win this thing, especially after the SAG awards. Emma practically jumped out of her seat when Lily’s name was announced. And we all know how SAG greatly affected last year’s races, making it into an almost sweep of EEAAO, after having close contests between JLC vs Angela, and Cate vs Michelle, coming into the night.

Plus, Lily has the narrative, and Emma already has an Oscar win. These things, whether fair or not, factor into the race.

I liken this win to La Streep’s win over Viola in 2012, an upset of sorts but not totally something unforeseen. Especially since Emma did come in as the frontrunner at the start of the awards season.

A huge upset would have been Sandra Huller winning.

• Like 5

As far as hairstyles, the way a lot of the women plaster their hair so tight against their head makes for a severe look.  They use product to slick it down, which makes it looks greasy.  It also highlights their roots.  Soft, flowing hair is much more flattering, IMO.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And can I just say - what is Charlize’s secret and how come it looks like she DOES NOT AGE????

She was so gorgeous in The Italian Job.  Stunning.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

And can I just say - what is Charlize’s secret and how come it looks like she DOES NOT AGE????

Good living? Seriously though, she  is unearthly beautiful.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Forgot to mention this last night, but I did a big fist bump and cheered at Jimmy's snark at the "diabetes-medicine abusing" assholes (that's my word) for losing weight to look good.

I just found out my best friend is going on it. She is diabetic and has kidney issues, so in her case, it is a necessity. 

• Hugs 4
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I just found out my best friend is going on it. She is diabetic and has kidney issues, so in her case, it is a necessity. 

Yes, it is. Jimmy's shot was at those celebrities-who are NOT diabetic, but have been using them as a weight loss drug. So I appreciated the shade.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

A huge upset would have been Sandra Huller winning.

FWIW, she's who I wanted to win. Her performances in Anatomy and Zone were both amazing and totally different from each other.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, it is. Jimmy's shot was at those celebrities-who are NOT diabetic, but have been using them as a weight loss drug. So I appreciated the shade.

As did I. I have another friend who's doctor wanted to put her on it last year but there were issues in first finding it and second, her insurance not wanting to pay. 

8 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

FWIW, she's who I wanted to win. Her performances in Anatomy and Zone were both amazing and totally different from each other.

I haven't seen either movie but now I want to. 

LV should be shamed for eternity for the poorly sewn zipper in Emma Stone’s dress. I wanted a Lily Gladstone win.

I am beginning to despise hosts knocking the honorees. People loved the 5 presenters system for the acting awards for a reason: they were beautiful tributes to the nominees. Much of the Oscars is a bunch of super pretty rich people patting themselves on the back. We get it. How about lean into it and talk about the good rather than the host ripping on people for 15 minutes? It’s a waste of time that could be used for the technical and behind the scenes award winners to give speeches. They’ve earned their moments. 

• Like 1

Best bits of the night:

John Cena.  I see on social media a whole bunch of people saying all they see is a floating envelope, because of his "You can't see me" catchphrase.  

Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling.  They were so natural and funny playing off each other.

Ryan Gosling singing.  I don't even like him and I was entertained.

Ahhnold and Danny DeVito.  Loved the reunion, loved them noticing Michael Keaton, loved Keaton's look.

The last shot of the dog peeing on Matt Damon's star on the Walk of Fame.  Not sure if that was CGI or not, but it was funny.  There's not much I like about Jimmy Kimmel, but his long-running fake rivalry with Matt Damon never gets old.

Worst bits:

In Memoriam.  Awful, nobody wants to see dancers or singers.  It's truly terrible how a whole bunch of people got relegated to tiny names on the screen.  I'm assuming this was in response to the usual "I can't believe you omitted XYZ" but somehow this makes it seem worse.  Not only did you get omitted from the portion with pictures, but you were an afterthought that nobody could read.

Al Pacino.  Was he drunk?  Was it just old age?  Reminded me so much of Elizabeth Taylor and "GLADIATOR!!!!!"

The new way of introducing the acting nominations.  I don't need to hear actors tongue bathing other actors.  I get that this is a way to get more of Hollywood elite/history on stage.  But I would rather see clips of the actual performances.

Billie Eilish and Finneas performing "What Was I Made For".  I truly don't understand this song's popularity.  I get that it's a "message" song and the message is good.  But as a song in and of itself, it's so boring and practically tuneless.  I can't believe how much of the audience was giving a standing ovation and some seemed genuinely emotional.

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Ahhnold and Danny DeVito.  Loved the reunion, loved them noticing Michael Keaton, loved Keaton's look.

Al Pacino.  Was he drunk?  Was it just old age?  Reminded me so much of Elizabeth Taylor and "GLADIATOR!!!!!"

The new way of introducing the acting nominations.  I don't need to hear actors tongue bathing other actors.  I get that this is a way to get more of Hollywood elite/history on stage.  But I would rather see clips of the actual performances.

Billie Eilish and Finneas performing "What Was I Made For".  I truly don't understand this song's popularity.  I get that it's a "message" song and the message is good.  But as a song in and of itself, it's so boring and practically tuneless.  I can't believe how much of the audience was giving a standing ovation and some seemed genuinely emotional.

It didn't even occur to me that they were in the Batman movies until they mentioned it!!! 

Al Pacino was horrible. Was he the only person available? No Tom Hanks, Denzel, Helen Mirren??? 

I liked the way the actors introduced the nominees. Imagine getting to go up there and meet someone you admired or hear them  introduce your name? I enjoyed it a lot. 

Finally, that song was dull, I so wanted Ken to win. Much more fun and in the end, more memorable. Yes, the song has a message, but a lot of people are remembering Ryan Gosling. What fun that was! Plus, I just don't get Billie Eilish. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Add me to the list of viewers appalled by that In Memoriam abortion. What the fuck is wrong with these producers/directors?

One other nitpick - they had a chance to show some of the best stunts in movie history and instead we got waaay too much CGI bullshit.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have mixed feelings about Cynthia Erivo's dress.

I did too.

18 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

The puffs on Ariana Grande's dress are bigger then she is. Yikes.

I agree,  until I saw Ariana Grande next to Cynthia Erivo then I saw what they were going for, sort of a Wicked cosplay, and it made more sense. Ultimately I liked it, but it only works when you see the two of them together. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Maybe a minority opinion, but I don't get why the zeitgeist turned on Maestro. Best movie against some really formidable competition? Probably not. But well-written, well-directed, well-produced, and well-acted. And it felt like a fresh way to do the biopic genre. I guess the world has to agree to pick on somebody every year.

I wonder if a lot of the voters felt similarly to the Director below, and thus, resulted into a Maestro shutout.

“I hated Maestro. Absolutely hated it. If you’re going to tell a story about Leonard Bernstein, why did you pick the least interesting aspect to focus on for so long. If you’re going to go so far with the makeup and prosthetics, God forbid Bradley Cooper cover up his piercing beautiful blue eyes to be accurate. I don’t think Leonard Bernstein had blue eyes. I think he famously did not. That was such an actor’s vanity show.

The Director: This award-nominated filmmaker has earned their reputation of excellence on screens both big and small.

https://ew.com/2024-oscars-secret-ballot-anonymous-academy-voters-reveal-picks-8604071

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Congrats to Da’Vine!

I guess this isn’t why I’m not a fan of the five presenters thing - I’d rather see clips of the performances of the nominees. It would be great to see bits of their work, especially for the smaller, less known movies.

I agree. Especially in a year with many lesser known/lesser seen films, this is a great way to promote the films and give people an idea of what the film is about or what it's like. 

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get to see The Holdovers.

It's on DVD and Peacock. 

16 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

The stunt people are amazing...and yet y'all still won't give them an Oscar.

I feel obligated to post this even I know it is incredibly cheesy and TV but not movies. Although the theme song does name check some movie stars, so it's quasi-relevant. 

Mini-rant: The new movie looks like it completely lacks the heart and spirit of the TV series. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

HE'S WEARING A SPARKLY PINK SUIT AND LEANING INTO THIS 20000%!!!

I loved the number. I'm disappointed it didn't win best original song. My only problem with the pink sparkly suit was that he blended into the pink background too much, but maybe that was the point. He's just Ken living in Barbie's pink world and he isn't always noticed. Am I overthinking this? 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I agree with everyone who hated the In Memoriam segment. This may be the absolute worst ever. It is not a production number, it is not about the people/performers on stage. I have no idea how, or when or why the producers of the Oscars got into their heads that the In Memoriam segment is supposed like a best original song number but it needs to stop.

The In Memoriam segment is supposed to be a tribute to those we lost and a chance to remember their work. This is impossible to do when you cannot see or barely see the screen showing the name and their role/title (director, writer, actor, what not). Focus on what is playing on the screen and do not I repeat DO NOT have something happening on the stage. You have a fantastic orchestra in the room. Let them play something suitable and everyone will be happy with the result while we sadly reflect on the talent we lost.   

• Like 15
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Pacino is a huge theater nerd so I wouldn't object to him actually doing some Shakespeare.

He did a movie version of Merchant of Venice 20 years ago. 

14 hours ago, SHERMDOG said:

Maybe Jimmy shuts up the last 5 minutes if his beginning dialouge so we can see more if the people thst have passed! Saying that...I thot Jimmy did fine. Beginning dragged a bit for me tho.

The issue wasn't timing. The issue was how it was filmed/edited/presented to the viewers at home. 

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I agree with everyone who hated the In Memoriam segment. This may be the absolute worst ever. It is not a production number, it is not about the people/performers on stage. I have no idea how, or when or why the producers of the Oscars got into their heads that the In Memoriam segment is supposed like a best original song number but it needs to stop.

The In Memoriam segment is supposed to be a tribute to those we lost and a chance to remember their work. This is impossible to do when you cannot see or barely see the screen showing the name and their role/title (director, writer, actor, what not). Focus on what is playing on the screen and do not I repeat DO NOT have something happening on the stage. You have a fantastic orchestra in the room. Let them play something suitable and everyone will be happy with the result while we sadly reflect on the talent we lost.   

I wouldn't have minded just having the two singing as the song is lovely, but no dancing, nothing to distract from the people who had passed. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1