Type keyword(s) to search

The 96th Academy Awards

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It might have been beneficial if Pacino had read out the names of the nominees before just ripping open the envelope.

my thoughts exactly 🙄

• Like 11

For a great actor, Al didn't put much effort into that announcement. Even if he was just going to say who won, he could have been clearer about that. (I wonder if he colluded with whoever organized the In Memorium segment).

• Like 18
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Well...that was a little anticlimactic.  Not so much because we knew Oppenheimer was going to win, but a little reminder that there were nine other films in this category would've been nice.

Pacino's "my eyes see Oppenheimer" makes me wonder if he forgot his reading glasses and couldn't read the prompter? 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3

Why, why do they put these older people to give out the most important award?  It is always so painful to watch.  Pacino is a God of movies.  But also has a reputation for not being one for public speaking.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It might have been beneficial if Pacino had read out the names of the nominees before just ripping open the envelope.

Yeah, I was like “wait, what?  That was quick!”  

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Well...that was a little anticlimactic.  Not so much because we knew Oppenheimer was going to win, but a little reminder that there were nine other films in this category would've been nice.

I thought the same thing!  

• Like 5
1 minute ago, opus said:

The biggest thing I learned tonight is that it was Mothers Day in the UK

I learned this earlier in the day because of a certain post on Twixxer from the Prince and Princess of Wales.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, opus said:

The biggest thing I learned tonight is that it was Mothers Day in the UK

My Uber driver told me today that it is a BIG deal in the UK.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

I did have to chuckle at Emma Stone's saying "this isn't all about me" before giving props to the whole Poor Things team. Girl, you just won an award that was literally all about you. You're not up there accepting for Best Ensemble 🙃 (JK, I get it.)

• Like 4
(edited)

This was the best Awards show this season and the most fun. Usually it's the Globes but it was this one. The crowd felt more alive for this show and everyone looked like they were having a good time.  The earlier start time was the right step and they need to do this every year now. See everyone at next year's show.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Like 21
  • Love 1

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good Oscars, both in terms of who won and the event itself.  The highlight of the evening was the I'M JUST KEN number, the lowlight was the In Memoriam section.  (Seriously - what do the Oscar producers have against making so people watching at home can't see who is being honored in that segment?).  As far as the awards go, I think the POOR THINGS love as the surprise of the evening (including in that the Emma Stone upset win for Best Actress).  Also surprising were the zero wins by KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON.  And I am so happy that RDJ finally brought home an Oscar!  Long overdue, but all the sweeter for it.

See everybody next year!  :)

• Like 9
(edited)
58 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Yeah, I wish all the other nominees were mentioned, especially because the montages were only shown coming in from commercial breaks. It’s a nice reminder to the viewers, especially for the lesser known, smaller movies like Past Lives, The Holdovers, American Fiction, etc.

All the more since they came in under schedule, they have more than enough time for that.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 8

Outside of the ridiculous approach to In Memoriam, I actually thought this was one of the better telecast in quite some time.  The pacing was actually pretty decent, the speeches were all relatively good, and despite what that one dude on Twitter said, I think Kimmel was actually pretty solid as a host.  Combine that with some good wins, and it's a winner in my book!

Ryan Gosling definitely stole the show with his performance.  Runner up was John Cena presenting costume without a costume.  Or, really, any kind of clothing.

Random musings: with Cillian's win, I have to imagine The Dark Knight series probably is one of the franchises that has the most Oscar winners in it.  Off the top of my head, we've got him, Michael Caine, Heath Ledger (RIP), Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard, and Anne Hathaway.  Ball's in your court now, Tom Hardy!

So, I believe Killers of the Flower Moon, Maestro, and Past Lives were the Best Picture nominees that got shutout.  The Holdovers, American Fiction, Barbie, and Anatomy of a Fall all got one, The Zone of Interest got two, and Oppenheimer and Poor Things teamed up and destroyed everything else in their path.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

For a great actor, Al didn't put much effort into that announcement. Even if he was just going to say who won, he could have been clearer about that. (I wonder if he colluded with whoever organized the In Memorium segment).

He has 9 month old at home.  He’s busy changing diapers and providing all that exhausting care to a baby.

Probably not…..

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
21 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Isn't it past your jail time?

hahahahahaha

Okay, I know I shouldn't quote myself because we all know what happens when we quote ourselves... 

I was so sure that was a bit.  That was a real tweet.  Really.  Oy vey.  

Good show and, as always, I enjoy hanging out here with all of you.  Till next time!

• Like 15
11 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Considering they started late, they ran a lean 3:20.

This is what happens when you cut the fat and corny bits that have no payoffs. I think this already started last year, so I hope they continue this trend. I didn’t feel that the show lagged, even with the technical awards.

One of the producers, Molly McNearney, is a huge advocate of keeping things tight. She also happens to be married to Jimmy. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 6

I just realized that KOTFM got shut out, and Lily would have been its best chance at an award. 

It would have been a seminal moment for the Asian actress winner to hand the Oscar to its first Native American actress winner.

But Emma is very much a deserving winner. And I love how she was able to share her moment with JLaw, who is her contemporary, and her Aunt May.

• Like 6

Someone elsewhere pointed out that while it wasn't anywhere near as crazy as the La La Land/Moonlight screw up, it's kind of funny that once again there was some kind of screw-up with announcing the Best Picture winner when Emma Stone wins Best Actress. 

If she ever gets a third trophy, everyone should be prepared for another Best Picture kerfuffle.  It is set in Stone!

• LOL 10

I don't know why people are thinking that Emma Stone's win was an upset. She and Lily Gladstone have been neck and neck for all of awards season. Lily wasn't even nominated for the BAFTA! Lily's chances increased after she won the SAG Award, but Emma was still within striking distance odds wise. I wanted Lily to win, but I was definitely not surprised to hear Emma's name called, especially since Poor Things won quite a few below-the-line awards.

Speaking of the Best Actress award, I LOVED the introduction that Jessica Lange gave to Carey Mulligan. Everything she said was true. Carey's performance was the very best part of Maestro. She was brilliant. The Academy MUST reward her one of these years; sooner rather than later. (I knew it wouldn't be this one. 😕) She--and Marcus--seemed really moved by Jessica's words. I was, too.

Oh, for anyone who hasn't had enough red carpet for the night, there's live coverage of the arrivals at the Vanity Fair post-Oscars party online.

• Like 5

The part of the show I enjoyed was when they had previous winners of the different categories come out to introduce the nominees , it was very personal & a nice way to remind viewers of wonderful performances in the past.

• Like 20
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Speaking of the Best Actress award, I LOVED the introduction that Jessica Lange gave to Carey Mulligan. Everything she said was true. Carey's performance was the very best part of Maestro. She was brilliant. The Academy MUST reward her one of these years; sooner rather than later. (I knew it wouldn't be this one. 😕) She--and Marcus--seemed really moved by Jessica's words. I was, too.

I know that some people think the introductions by former winners takes too long, but you could see how affected some of the nominees were. It felt like all of the former winners but JLaw really made a point to glance away from the teleprompter and look into the eyes of the nominee. You could tell it was a special moment for some of them. 

• Like 17
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Does Billie Ellish always dress badly on purpose?

I kinda like thIs about her. She gives 2 shits about what someone SHOULD wear... thAt aside...i love her so much. This song is amazing...IMHO!!  Prolly in the minority. I'm perfectly fine with that. Her brother and her care very talented!!

51 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

my thoughts exactly 🙄

He was ridiculous!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Okay...did Billie Eilish bring two outfits to the Oscars?  Because she arrived wearing a dark jacket and patterned skirt, and now it looks like she's wearing the other half of each outfit on stage.

Yes

2 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

So happy for RDJ! He really is the comeback king. His wife must be a brave wonderful woman. 

I also think deNiro was relieved not to have to give a speech.

DeNiro looked TOTALLY BORED. he disappointed me

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

Matthew Perry was shown. 

But VERY quickly. One pic.

I also didn't see Treat Williams!? WTF? 

He maybe only "deserved" the list at the end? Maybe Jimmy shuts up the last 5 minutes if his beginning dialouge so we can see more if the people thst have passed! Saying that...I thot Jimmy did fine. Beginning dragged a bit for me tho.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

No, she didn't.

It's very rare that you see that kind of genuinely shocked reaction. Halle Berry had it too.

Talk about a wild card. I thought it was a toss up between Gladstone and Mulligan.

Halle Berry knew she would win.  That was an act in my opinion.  At the time I though she was over the top in her reaction. 

We can never know who is genuinely  surprised they won. Emma seemed surprised but she is an actor.  Unfortunately you just don’t know.  Actors can fool you.  

I thought Emma was really good in Poor Things but would she have won over Lily if it wasn’t for her “fearless” (as they say) nudity?  I didn’t watch Killers of the Flower Moon but I thought Lily would win so they can talk about the first indigenous person to win best actress.  You know Hollywood likes to reiterate that instead of the actual performance.  

The Trump joke was lame.  I just don’t like those jokes at awards shows.  It alienates people.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I guess this isn’t why I’m not a fan of the five presenters thing - I’d rather see clips of the performances of the nominees. It would be great to see bits of their work, especially for the smaller, less known movies.

Me either. I wish there could have been a way to also include a clip.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ha! Arnold and DeVito vs Keaton was funny.

That had me 🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂 along with  Keaton’s deadpan face and curling of his fingers-like- Bring it on!

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Worst In Memoriam ever.

The Oscars continue to prove they absolutely SUCK at this segment. Year.After.Year.

But I’m so happy for Robert Downey, JR, Cillian Murphy, and yes, Christopher Nolan.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

What a fucking mess.  They start out with the names so small I had to get out of my chair and stand in front of my TV to read them - what the hell?  Get those  dancers off the stage.  And why the focus on the singers - it's supposed to be about those we've lost.  And how disrespectful to those who were tiny names crammed on the screen for about 2 1/2 seconds at the end.  

I say this every year - just have the people at TCM do the In Memoriam.  

Omg.. so much this!??? Why the fucking dancers!????  Big screen...PLEASE. PATHETIC

1 hour ago, Poohbear617 said:

Way to royally fuck up in memoriam.  The camera was too far back at first making it impossible to see who the actor was on the screen.  Loose the dancers and singers!!!!

Simply.have the orchestral  play while the screen is filled with  the actor, possibly showing a scene of their work. Honor their memory.

Exactly.. I wanted to pause...take a picture of the screen and then zoom. Pretty sure they didn't even mention Treat Williams...Matthew Perry was just a quick pIc...WTF!!????

• Like 5

It’s hard to believe this is where Emma Stone got her start on a search for the new Partridge Family on VH1 in 2004.(Went by Emily Stone then)

• Like 1
  • Useful 3