Type keyword(s) to search

The 96th Academy Awards

• Start Topic

Editing is generally considered to be the tell as to what movie is going to win Best Picture.  And OPPENHEIMER wins it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

• Like 1
Just now, kittykat said:

I tend to give the side eye to any 3+ hr film that wins editing.  But then again LOTR: ROTK won it so, yay Oppenheimer?

For the vast majority of audiences the movie didn't feel like 3 hours and that's all down to the editing so, for me, she was always the top of the list.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

I loved the cut to Messi clapping in the audience. 

And on a truly petty note, it bugs me that Emily Blunt’s dress straps don’t sit on her shoulders.  I know it’s designed that way.  I just don’t like it. 

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

Tequila for everyone is nice, but I hope they didn't give any to Messi.

Charlize Theron is like "Oh, I guess I'm married now!  News to me!"

I would totally want to hang with Colman Domingo and Jeffrey Wright!

• Like 7

Ok Kate finding out the Jurassic Park dinosaurs aren't real, and with tears in her eyes, is hilarious.

The Last Repair shop is soooooooo good y'all. I think it's Netflix? Anyway, everyone should see it.

I hope the Academy has an extra Oscar laying around because I don't think baby girl is giving up that statue.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

Ok Kate finding out the Jurassic Park dinosaurs aren't real, and with tears in her eyes, is hilarious.

The Last Repair shop is soooooooo good y'all. I think it's Netflix? Anyway, everyone should see it.

That was a great bit with Kate and America.

Haven't seen The Last Repair Shop yet, but there was a lovely piece about it on one of the NPR programs this past week and it sounds wonderful. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Disney +

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

For the vast majority of audiences the movie didn't feel like 3 hours and that's all down to the editing so, for me, she was always the top of the list.

Oh for sure.  I can't remember who said it but there was also some quip about how behind every famous male auteur/artiste director is a female editor making all the right cuts to ensure his movie is watchable.

• Like 6
Just now, kittykat said:

Oh for sure.  I can't remember who said it but there was also some quip about how behind every famous male auteur/artiste director is a female editor making all the right cuts to ensure his movie is watchable.

Thelma Schoonmaker has been the unsung hero of all Scorsese movies, seriously.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

I can't remember who said it but there was also some quip about how behind every famous male auteur/artiste director is a female editor making all the right cuts to ensure his movie is watchable.

Without Thelma there's no way Scorsese would have the career he does so you're exactly right. And he's the first one to acknowledge that which is why I love him.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, slowpoked said:

Kate always has that unassuming seductive voice. Does she always talk like this? Haha!

I’ve seen her in interviews and it feels like she’s pretty uncomfortable being “herself” in interviews.  She goes to that voice a lot.  I’m such a fan of hers.  

• Like 7
Just now, yowsah1 said:

The Ukrainian directors speech is just so moving...  I hope Jimmy Kimmel doesn't kill the moment with a tasteless quip.

I doubt he will.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, kittykat said:

The late Sally Menke and Quentin Tarantino being one of the most famous examples.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Yeah, that's probably the most sincere "I wish I didn't win this Oscar because I wish I didn't have to make a documentary about the horrible shit we are dealing with right now" speech.

• Like 13
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

I knew Henry Sugar was going to win. Wes Anderson's first Oscar and well deserved as it's excellent. Now, would I have given it to Red, White, and Blue? Yes, yes I would but they don't let me decide.

Just now, Browncoat said:

Anyone know where I can see Henry Sugar?

Netflix.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1