Type keyword(s) to search

The 96th Academy Awards

• Start Topic

Nominations to be announced today...

96th Oscars Nominations Announcement Hosted by Zazie Beetz and Jack Quaid
Oscars    Scheduled for Jan 23, 2024

Wow, America Ferrera for Barbie in Supporting! Didn’t see that one coming! Looks like the nominations will bode well for Barbie, considering they got a category no one is expecting them to (kinda like how EEAAO got Best Song for a truly horrible WTF tune).

• Like 1
(edited)

I guess I spoke too soon! I didn’t see Margot not getting Actress considering the momentum of Barbie. Annette and Sandra (from Anatomy of a Fall) both sneak in. The Academy still love itself some Annette Bening. I was hoping we’d see more than one comedic performance in Actress. Sigh. Next time maybe.

Edited by slowpoked

Margot Robbie IS the Barbie movie, so I'm utterly shocked that the movie got so many nominations but both Robbie and Greta Gerwig were omitted.  But I am happy for Annette Bening.  She is a veteran.  She has zero chance here but I'm hoping one day she will get her Oscar (as well as Michelle Pfeiffer, Glenn Close and Sigourney Weaver).

Disappointed for Dua Lipa and the catchy "Dance the Night Away".  No doubt that Billie Eilish and "What Was I Made For" will win.  I find this to be one of the most boring and morose songs I've ever heard.  It's drab whispering, very repetitive, and almost tuneless.  I hated "No Time to Die" but this song is 10 times worse.  I don't understand the Oscars' fascination with her.

• Like 9
24 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Margot Robbie IS the Barbie movie, so I'm utterly shocked that the movie got so many nominations but both Robbie and Greta Gerwig were omitted.  But I am happy for Annette Bening.  She is a veteran.  She has zero chance here but I'm hoping one day she will get her Oscar (as well as Michelle Pfeiffer, Glenn Close and Sigourney Weaver).

Disappointed for Dua Lipa and the catchy "Dance the Night Away".  No doubt that Billie Eilish and "What Was I Made For" will win.  I find this to be one of the most boring and morose songs I've ever heard.  It's drab whispering, very repetitive, and almost tuneless.  I hated "No Time to Die" but this song is 10 times worse.  I don't understand the Oscars' fascination with her.

Gosh, I forgot that Annette still hasn't won an Oscar. For some reason I thought she'd had one in there sometime in the past. But you're right, she has no chance. It's Lily vs. Emma at this point. Or the international community can rally and completely surprise us, and give to Sandra. 

Out of the three major Barbie songs, Dua Lipa's is the one I enjoyed the most. I'm not too enamored with I'm Just Ken either, I thought it was too try-hard of a song, but clearly, I'm one of the few. Heck, I even enjoyed Pink more than those two that have been nominated.

To be honest, I would've been kind of annoyed if (the overrated IMO) Greta Gerwig got a best director nom when Sarah Polley (my hero) didn't.

I know I "should" support all women, but...sorry, I can't root for someone if I don't actually enjoy their work. I think the pacing/timing/editing of Barbie was pretty bad. There were jokes that worked better in the trailers because of the snappy editing and then when I saw the movie itself... oof. So many scenes just went on too long and lost their impact and/or became cringeworthy. I feel like editing is a big part of directing and also can make such a difference in how the actors' performances come across, and I think Greta botched it.

(I wasn't a fan of her chopping up the story of Little Women either, messing with the timeline and again wrecking the emotional impact, IMO.)

Anyhoo!

I'm surprised about Margot Robbie though...  feels like a personal snub since America and Ryan got nominated.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
21 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Gosh, I forgot that Annette still hasn't won an Oscar. For some reason I thought she'd had one in there sometime in the past. But you're right, she has no chance. It's Lily vs. Emma at this point. Or the international community can rally and completely surprise us, and give to Sandra. 

I feel like at this point, the only nominations that mattered were Lily and Emma, and the other three actresses were picked from a hat. The acting races feel more predictable than usual this year. The supporting categories feel locked up, while the lead categories are down to two front runners. I didn’t even notice that Leo was snubbed, because Paul and Cillian seem like the only options. 

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Disappointed for Dua Lipa and the catchy "Dance the Night Away".  No doubt that Billie Eilish and "What Was I Made For" will win.  I find this to be one of the most boring and morose songs I've ever heard.  It's drab whispering, very repetitive, and almost tuneless.

Same. I loved the whole Barbie soundtrack except for “What Was I Made For.” Billie Eilish is so talented, but this song is like nails on a chalkboard for me. 

I know “Just Ken” won’t win Best Song, but I don’t care as long as we get a performance at the ceremony.

Yeah, nominating Ryan/Ken and not Margot/Robbie was definitely a choice. They could’ve easily given Annette’s to her—I mean she’s got zero chance whatsoever so why throw that out of nowhere?!

And it really feels like Greta Lee being snubbed was “Hey, we gave a bunch  AAPPI actors and filmmakers awards last year, so we’re good” 🙄

I wouldn’t be so pissed about The Color Purple getting stuffed if the original film had won all the Oscars back in the 80s LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE!

• Like 4
(edited)

I liked Barbie and would not be upset if Gerwig and Robbie had been nominated. But I say this (or something similar) every award season: when people say some people/works get robbed, but many times, people are only basing the robbing on what they have seen, and they have not seen all the nominated works. Also, saying something in X category from this movie was not nominated while this other thing from that same movie was nominated in this other category is apples and oranges. The categories are entirely different, and one good movie may have a lead actor who was not better than the other lead actors in a mediocre movie. Again, I am not saying something hinky does not go on with these award show noms, but I really just think most people are mad when their subjective fave is not nominated, no matter if they have seen all the nominated works or not.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Like 7
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And it really feels like Greta Lee being snubbed was “Hey, we gave a bunch  AAPPI actors and filmmakers awards last year, so we’re good” 🙄

I’m sad that Past Lives seemed to lose momentum as the awards campaign went on. It was one of my favorite movies of the year, a quiet, slow-burn film that stood out among the bombast (Barbie, Oppenheimer, KOTFW, etc.). A lot of people have reduced it to a love triangle (spoiler: there is no love triangle), but it’s really a brilliant rendition of the timeless tale re: the choices we make and the roads we take (or don’t). Earlier in the season, there was even talk of John Magaro potentially competing in the supporting category. But even Greta couldn’t hack it, in admittedly a stacked pile (even though everyone knows it’s Lily vs. Emma at this point).

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I want The Holdovers to win something. That is what I will be rooting for on Oscar night. 

I think Da'Vine Joy Randolph is the closest nominee to a lock in the acting categories. 

• Like 3

Definitely a few snubs and surprises but Best Picture nominees are pretty much what everyone expected.  The biggest surprise is Justine Triet over Celine Song and Greta Gerwig, because heaven forbid we nominate more than one female director who did their job just as well as the other four men.  I mean we won two consecutive years so we're good right?  RIGHT!?

10 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I want The Holdovers to win something. That is what I will be rooting for on Oscar night. 

Da'Vine Joy Randolph is the most likely win.  Paul Giamatti is running second in momentum behind Cillian Murphy but is possible if he snags the SAG.  Screenplay is a possibility but that's a pretty stacked category.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I know “Just Ken” won’t win Best Song, but I don’t care as long as we get a performance at the ceremony.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get someone other than Ryan to perform it similar to what they did years ago with a song from Chicago. I just can't see Ryan performing in front of that crowd. 

But speaking of Best Song, WTF is Flamin' Hot??? And why is there ALWAYS a WTF? nomination in this category?

• LOL 1
41 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:
46 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I just can't see Ryan performing in front of that crowd. 

Neither can I.  What could he possibly gain by performing?  They should get a proper comedian(s) to perform it, like Robin Williams and Blame Canada.

Did Gosling do any performances when La La Land was up for awards? I think he might; plus he's got a new movie to promote.

If he doesn't perform, I can see Simu Liu stepping in; he is also a Ken who sings.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

Did Gosling do any performances when La La Land was up for awards?

Nope.

3 minutes ago, Trini said:

I think he might; plus he's got a new movie to promote.

So he'd promote it by performing a song from a previous movie?

• Useful 1
(edited)

RE: Music categories. 

Is there some unwritten Academy rule that Diane Warren has to get a Best Original Song nomination nearly every year? I was hoping Lenny Kravitz would get a nomination for "Road to Freedom" from Rustin.

Nice to see a posthumous nomination go to Robbie Robertson's score for Killers of the Flower Moon.

Edited by ProudMary
I somehow hit the post button before I was finished typing.
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
10 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So he'd promote it by performing a song from a previous movie?

Yes; his name would be in the news, etc., and the studio might pay to run an ad during the ceremony.

• Like 4
(edited)

Re: the Barbie snubs, I’m kinda more upset and surprised at the Margot snub than the Greta snub. I mean, Greta did a fantastic job bringing this movie to life. No one was expecting good to come out of a Barbie movie and she made it into a very compelling story.

However, I agree with @chrisrose that Barbie had an editing problem. I began to wander off in my thoughts during the big Ken vs. Ken fight, it dragged on too long. Then at the end where practically the entire cast was in Barbie Land, with the Mattel people, also seemed superfluous. Because of all that, it was losing momentum coming into the movie’s climax, where Ruth was pulling Barbie into the human world.

But Margot?! She had the difficult task of playing Barbie as Stereotypical Barbie but not wavering into vapid territory. It’s a very fine line, and I think she very much succeeded. She executed deadpan sincerity really well. And I’ve long been a “comedic performances should be recognized in Oscars more” advocate, so I was hoping she’d get a slot alongside the other comedic performance, which may very well end up as the winner.

If there was one other (female) director that should have gotten a Director nom, IMO, it should have been Celine Song. Past Lives is such a gorgeous piece of filmmaking, definitely showed more deft and heft than Greta’s did (at least comparing the two of them). 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

For me, what makes Margot’s absence funny (in a bitter way) is that it sort of fits the point the movie was trying to make.

Anyway, I’m not surprised. But I’m sorry about it because I thought she did a masterful job with a tricky role. She managed to inject real heart and depth into her performance.

• Like 8

Yeah, Margot's snub is pretty egregious.  America getting there was a nice surprise.  

Also to Paul Giamatti getting a Beat Actor nod nearly 20 years after getting iced out of one for Sideways.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, AgathaC said:

For me, what makes Margot’s absence funny (in a bitter way) is that it sort of fits the point the movie was trying to make.

This! Ken getting the recognition for Barbie, even though Barbie carried the whole movie is the most Barbie thing that could have happened.

6 hours ago, kittykat said:

Paul Giamatti is running second in momentum behind Cillian Murphy but is possible if he snags the SAG

I’m surprised Cillian still has the edge after Paul picked up the Critics Choice and hasn’t missed on a major nom. If he wins, I wonder if In n Out will give him an endorsement. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get someone other than Ryan to perform it similar to what they did years ago with a song from Chicago. I just can't see Ryan performing in front of that crowd. 

But speaking of Best Song, WTF is Flamin' Hot??? And why is there ALWAYS a WTF? nomination in this category?

For “Chicago”, the song was a duet between Squinty McSquint Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta Jones.  Squinty was too chicken to perform, but an extremely pregnant The Zeta did.  Squinty’s part was performed by her very capable co-star Queen Latifah.

I can see Ryan Gosling performing.  He has the personality to want to do it.  Bradley Cooper sang and he was also nominated the same night.  

Re the song from Flamin Hot.  It’s Diane Warren.  She’s getting an honorary this year so I don’t understand why they couldn’t have passed her up this year.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, slowpoked said:

I love Annette but yikes on bikes, Diana Nyad is not someone who deserved the glowing biopic treatment. I suspect Annette and Glenn Close will get honorary Oscars in the near future.

10 hours ago, chrisrose said:

To be honest, I would've been kind of annoyed if (the overrated IMO) Greta Gerwig got a best director nom when Sarah Polley (my hero) didn't.

I know I "should" support all women, but...sorry, I can't root for someone if I don't actually enjoy their work. I think the pacing/timing/editing of Barbie was pretty bad. There were jokes that worked better in the trailers because of the snappy editing and then when I saw the movie itself... oof. So many scenes just went on too long and lost their impact and/or became cringeworthy. I feel like editing is a big part of directing and also can make such a difference in how the actors' performances come across, and I think Greta botched it.

(I wasn't a fan of her chopping up the story of Little Women either, messing with the timeline and again wrecking the emotional impact, IMO.)

Agree 100%. If anyone else but a critical darling had produced this very same Barbie, the plot mess would have been far more highly criticized. America's speech doesn't make a lick of sense in their world, because none of those women experience anything like that. It's like Gerwig and Baumbach collected a bunch of 2012-era Tumblr memes about feminism and cobbled them together for that monologue. And while there are truths in those words - for real women - they're not true for the Barbies.

Gosling *was* the best part of the film.

Gerwig's Little Women ranks for me behind 1949 (June Allyson's Jo), 1994 (Winona's Jo), 1933 (Katharine Hepburn's Jo) - and all three are just slivers ahead of each other, that's how good they are - and only above the totally abysmal 1978 television mini-series with Susan Dey as Jo and, god help us,  William Shatner as Professor Baer.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

It's probably my fault for spending too much time on Twitter, but I'm so, so, so beyond tired of the discourse over Gerwig and Robbie's "snubs." For me, there's so much cognitive dissonance over how these are supposedly the most horrifically egregious snubs in awards history. People keep complaining about how it just isn't right that these two women were ignored. This ignores the fact that they both got nominated - just not in the categories Twitter seems to think they're entitled to. People want to act like screenwriting, and Best Picture nominations are lesser participation-trophy-style awards. I've also seen people talk about how this mirrors the movie's plot - because "Ken" got a nomination and "Barbie" didn't. First, they're not in the same category, so it feels like a moot point. People are saying this represents the patriarchy and the Academy's hatred of women. How? Besides Gerwig and Robbie's nominations, there are other women from that movie who got a nomination (America Ferrara, Billie Eilish, etc.) Then there's complaining about how there's no movie without Robbie, and Ferrara and Gosling are just supporting. There have been plenty of times when the supporting actor(s) get a nomination, and the lead doesn't. It happened this year with The Color Purple. It happened with Sideways. It happened with The Fighter (where most of the supporting cast got nominated - and two of them won - and the lead didn't. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

I feel so, so bad for Ryan Gosling and America Ferrara. They're not being allowed to enjoy their nominations because they're being made to answer for decisions that had nothing to do with them. Every headline I've read about AF's response has been about the disappointment of the twin snubs and not her getting her first Oscar nomination. In so many people's rush to complain about the patriarchy, they're more concerned with two white women (with previous nominations) supposedly getting snubbed and ignoring the minority woman's achievement. 

I wondered - and saw The Hollywood Reporter ask the same question - about whether this intense backlash could cause Barbie to win Best Picture, like what happened when people were so pissed Ben Affleck didn't get a director nomination (maybe it's less about feminism and modern Oscar voters not being as enamored with actors turned directors) that Argo won Best Picture. I was always annoyed because it seemed that controversy was why it won. Part of me would hate to see the over-the-top vitriol be rewarded with a Best Picture win, but I'm also kind of curious how fast the people complaining about how much the Academy hates women would change their tune if it did win.

I was thinking of watching Barbie in the next couple of days, but I might hold off because my annoyance with this discourse might negatively affect my view of the movie. 

1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

Gerwig's Little Women ranks for me behind 1949 (June Allyson's Jo), 1994 (Winona's Jo), 1933 (Katharine Hepburn's Jo) - and all three are just slivers ahead of each other, that's how good they are - and only above the totally abysmal 1978 television mini-series with Susan Dey as Jo and, god help us,  William Shatner as Professor Baer.

I never got the lavish praise for that adaptation. The 1994 version was far and away my favorite (I can hear one second of that score and am instantly moved.) I didn't really see the need for another remake, but I tried to keep an open mind about Gerwig's version. I just didn't see how it was radically different than the others and got so much awards love. I was happy when she didn't get a director nomination that year (and when she didn't win for screenwriting.) Then again, Gerwig just might not be my cup of tea as a filmmaker because I also didn't love Ladybird. I thought I would because the trailer hit home in many ways, but I didn't like it after seeing it. I was mystified at it having 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

It's probably my fault for spending too much time on Twitter, but I'm so, so, so beyond tired of the discourse over Gerwig and Robbie's "snubs." For me, there's so much cognitive dissonance over how these are supposedly the most horrifically egregious snubs in awards history. People keep complaining about how it just isn't right that these two women were ignored. This ignores the fact that they both got nominated - just not in the categories Twitter seems to think they're entitled to. People want to act like screenwriting, and Best Picture nominations are lesser participation-trophy-style awards. I've also seen people talk about how this mirrors the movie's plot - because "Ken" got a nomination and "Barbie" didn't. First, they're not in the same category, so it feels like a moot point. People are saying this represents the patriarchy and the Academy's hatred of women. How? Besides Gerwig and Robbie's nominations, there are other women from that movie who got a nomination (America Ferrara, Billie Eilish, etc.) Then there's complaining about how there's no movie without Robbie, and Ferrara and Gosling are just supporting. There have been plenty of times when the supporting actor(s) get a nomination, and the lead doesn't. It happened this year with The Color Purple. It happened with Sideways. It happened with The Fighter (where most of the supporting cast got nominated - and two of them won - and the lead didn't. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

I feel so, so bad for Ryan Gosling and America Ferrara. They're not being allowed to enjoy their nominations because they're being made to answer for decisions that had nothing to do with them. Every headline I've read about AF's response has been about the disappointment of the twin snubs and not her getting her first Oscar nomination. In so many people's rush to complain about the patriarchy, they're more concerned with two white women (with previous nominations) supposedly getting snubbed and ignoring the minority woman's achievement. 

I wondered - and saw The Hollywood Reporter ask the same question - about whether this intense backlash could cause Barbie to win Best Picture, like what happened when people were so pissed Ben Affleck didn't get a director nomination (maybe it's less about feminism and modern Oscar voters not being as enamored with actors turned directors) that Argo won Best Picture. I was always annoyed because it seemed that controversy was why it won. Part of me would hate to see the over-the-top vitriol be rewarded with a Best Picture win, but I'm also kind of curious how fast the people complaining about how much the Academy hates women would change their tune if it did win.

I was thinking of watching Barbie in the next couple of days, but I might hold off because my annoyance with this discourse might negatively affect my view of the movie. 

I never got the lavish praise for that adaptation. The 1994 version was far and away my favorite (I can hear one second of that score and am instantly moved.) I didn't really see the need for another remake, but I tried to keep an open mind about Gerwig's version. I just didn't see how it was radically different than the others and got so much awards love. I was happy when she didn't get a director nomination that year (and when she didn't win for screenwriting.) Then again, Gerwig just might not be my cup of tea as a filmmaker because I also didn't love Ladybird. I thought I would because the trailer hit home in many ways, but I didn't like it after seeing it. I was mystified at it having 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I completely agree.  I loved Barbie (my 10 year old has seen it 10 times so I have been forced to see it multiple times) and when I noticed Margot Robbie did not get a nomination, I kind of shrugged.  It was a good performance certainly, but really it wasn’t so amazing that it is a travesty that she was not nominated. Social media wants me to feel like Ryan Gosling being nominated was basically a treatise on what the whole Barbie movie was about and I’m sorry, but I’m not going to rail on Ryan Gosling or the Academy about it.  You are so right that this sort of discourse really serves to sully whatever kind of happiness America Ferrera must have felt at this nomination because we need to be angry that Margot Robbie didn’t.  When I saw the nominations my first thought was not where is Margot Robbie, but pure happiness for America Ferrera getting her flowers! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love the nomination of America Ferrera! It’s totally out of nowhere and what makes the Oscars exciting. She was never really in any of the major punditry’s top 5, and wasn’t figuring out too much on the awards circuit. And hers was probably not one of the categories that Barbie/WB was prioritizing in their campaign - I would think most of their resources went to Margot, Greta and Ryan. So this is some serious love from her peers to America. I hope she enjoys it to the max and doesn’t feel guilty or bad about it.

I’m just also glad Emily Blunt is FINALLY nominated! Such a talented actress who maybe would have had a bigger and better career if not for some missteps (and also who I think should have already gotten a nom for Devil Wears Prada, another overlooked comedic performance). Of course she doesn’t stand a lick (I’m still quite amazed how Randolph has locked the win this early, because I wasn’t that impressed), but she will now have the “Academy Award Nominee” label preceding her movie credits forever.

I’m rooting for Giamatti, if only to make up for that egregious snub for Sideways. He was excellent in that movie, and I felt bad for him that all his co-stars got the love except for him. His snub for Sideways was as horrible as the snub for Jim Carrey for The Truman Show.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I haven't seen most of the movies, but plan on watching as many as I can between now and show day.  I was surprised and disappointed that Robbie and Gerwig didn't get nominated, but I told my husband last night exactly what @FilmTVGeek80 said:  I can't get totally behind outrage because of the nominations it did get. 

@slowpoked after I saw Oppenheimer, I went online to read the reactions to it and was surprised that, at the time, no one was talking about Emily Blunt's performance and mentioned in its movie thread that I thought she would be a strong contender for nominations this year.  I'm happy to see it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

I’m rooting for Giamatti,

Me too.

1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

if only to make up for that egregious snub for Sideways.

If it's any consolation Giamatti is widely known to not like playing the hollywood game.  In an interview with a post-nominations, pre-Oscars Virginia Madsen, a reporter asked her about the 'snub', she replied (paraphrasing' 'there's only one person happy that Paul Giamatti isn't nominated, and that's Paul Giamatti.'

• Like 3
19 hours ago, ProudMary said:

RE: Music categories. 

Is there some unwritten Academy rule that Diane Warren has to get a Best Original Song nomination nearly every year? I was hoping Lenny Kravitz would get a nomination for "Road to Freedom" from Rustin.

Seriously. I was hoping her honorary Oscar would put a stop to that. The music branch is weird. 

13 hours ago, blackwing said:

I can see Ryan Gosling performing.  He has the personality to want to do it.  Bradley Cooper sang and he was also nominated the same night.  

Ryan Gosling comes across to me as very shy and not someone who would want to draw attention to himself with a performance. Unlike Bradley. I guess we'll see but I would be very surprised if Ryan performs. 

25 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

f it's any consolation Giamatti is widely known to not like playing the hollywood game.  In an interview with a post-nominations, pre-Oscars Virginia Madsen, a reporter asked her about the 'snub', she replied (paraphrasing' 'there's only one person happy that Paul Giamatti isn't nominated, and that's Paul Giamatti.'

Haha, that's awesome! And really seems something that Paul would say. An Oscar nomination is quite an achievement indeed, but it does get tiring. I remember last year, both Cate Blanchett and Austin Butler just looked so exhausted and so over it by Oscars night. 

And it probably has nothing to do with Sideways, but I like to think that Paul eating at In-N-Out after his GG win is a callback to the ending of the movie, where he opened his most precious, expensive bottle of wine in a fast food restaurant, eating a burger and pouring the wine in a paper cup instead of in a fancy wine glass.

• Like 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

never got the lavish praise for that adaptation. The 1994 version was far and away my favorite (I can hear one second of that score and am instantly moved.) I didn't really see the need for another remake

Winona will always and forever be My Jo.  And speaking of of Oscar wins that should have happened... WINONA WAS ROBBED!  I remember when Jessica Lange's name got called and my mom and I looked at each other with the same WTF look.

Agree about the score, Thomas Newman was robbed too, it one of my favorite movies scores of all time (the trumpets!) but Disney couldn't be beat on that category in the early 90s. The man is 0-15, think it's Honorary Oscar time for him.

The same dog and pony show of who got nominated and who didn't happens every year.  I do think Barbie should be happy with what it got. It would be nice to see it snag a costume or production design win.  Adapted screenplay possibly but that category is stacked I really don't know who is favored to win that one.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

And it probably has nothing to do with Sideways, but I like to think that Paul eating at In-N-Out after his GG win is a callback to the ending of the movie, where…

Whoa, spoiler alert!  I know it’s an old one, but considering the talk around The Holdovers, there may well be people discovering it for the first time. 

Seriously, I don’t know the statute of limitations for spoilers (it’s people! He was dead all along!  It’s a sled!) so I’m not sure if IATA here. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Whoa, spoiler alert!  I know it’s an old one, but considering the talk around The Holdovers, there may well be people discovering it for the first time. 

Seriously, I don’t know the statute of limitations for spoilers (it’s people! He was dead all along!  It’s a sled!) so I’m not sure if IATA here. 

I’m pretty sure a movie from 2004 no longer needs a spoiler tag. It’s only a spoiler if it hasn’t been shown in public yet (private screenings, etc.). It’s no longer a spoiler just because people haven’t seen it yet.

And even if I gave the ending scene, the context of why he ended up where he ended up is much more important than the actual scene itself.

53 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Winona will always and forever be My Jo.  And speaking of of Oscar wins that should have happened... WINONA WAS ROBBED!  I remember when Jessica Lange's name got called and my mom and I looked at each other with the same WTF look.

Winona! Now THAT’s a snub (for the win), if there ever was one. Winona’s Jo is so iconic, I’m not really sure if it’s advisable for someone to ever even try it again. Kinda like someone trying to be Alex Forrest in movie revival (haven’t seen the TV series, so no judgment).

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I’m pretty sure a movie from 2004 no longer needs a spoiler tag. It’s only a spoiler if it hasn’t been shown in public yet (private screenings, etc.). It’s no longer a spoiler just because people haven’t seen it yet.

And even if I gave the ending scene, the context of why he ended up where he ended up is much more important than the actual scene itself.

Fair enough, I agree with your second point, “the context of why he ended up where he ended up is much more important than the actual scene itself.” 

But I can’t totally agree that “It’s no longer a spoiler just because people haven’t seen it yet.”  Probably true for a 2004 movie, but for more current stuff, if one goes to an article or forum for that movie, then yes, expect spoilers. But if there were a major twist in an Oscar nominee this year, I don’t think it would be cool to spill it in an Oscars thread or in a discussion of a different movie. I’m sure there’s a line somewhere, and because people may be watching Sideways now because of recent publicity, that’s why I posed the question. 

(edited)

Regarding Barbie, I haven't seen enough of the other movies yet to know how it should be compared to the rest of the field, but I do feel that Robbie and Gosling both gave award worthy performances. Robbie's performance, in particular, I think held that movie together in a way I'm not sure a lot of actors would have been able to do. I think it's a very underrated performance. America Ferrera, on the other hand, I think was closer to giving a Razzie level performance than one worthy of an Oscar. I don't understand that nomination at all. As for Gerwig, I think she had a better claim to a directing nomination more so than a writing one as I feel its screenplay is what kept it from a being a great film as opposed to the good one it turned out to be.

All that said, I hate that the discourse over these so-called snubs have overshadowed so much from the nominations that should be celebrated, especially Lily Gladstone's historic nomination. 

Edited by Slade347
  • Like 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But I can’t totally agree that “It’s no longer a spoiler just because people haven’t seen it yet.”  Probably true for a 2004 movie, but for more current stuff, if one goes to an article or forum for that movie, then yes, expect spoilers. But if there were a major twist in an Oscar nominee this year, I don’t think it would be cool to spill it in an Oscars thread or in a discussion of a different movie. I’m sure there’s a line somewhere, and because people may be watching Sideways now because of recent publicity, that’s why I posed the question. 

I'll leave that up to the moderators. 

9 hours ago, Slade347 said:

As for Gerwig, I think she had a better claim to a directing nomination more so than a writing one as I feel its screenplay is what kept it from a being a great film as opposed to the good one it turned out to be.

That's another good way of seeing it. But I think though as someone pointed out before, Barbie's main problem is editing. They could have cut down a lot of stuff, especially towards the end, and that will make the directing and screenplay look tighter. Like what was said before in an Oscars ceremony, if there were no editors, all movies would be five hours long.

It's still a great movie, and there are a lot of pleasant factors in Barbie - the Dance the Night Away dance sequence reminds me of those grand Bollywood numbers, the production design did a great job conveying the plasticity of the Barbie world, the snark towards the Mattel executives, Ruth Handler, that "cul-de-sac" scene where Barbie feels tears for the first time and sees the elderly lady, etc. The more I think about it now, the more I'm convinced that Margot was indeed snubbed for a nomination. Her acting anchors that whole movie. In the hands of a lesser capable actress, the whole thing goes awry, even with Gerwig directing it.  

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 5