Type keyword(s) to search

The 96th Academy Awards

• Start Topic

If you want hear all the nominees announced and see them being positioned on the risers for the photo above, here's the video from the Oscars Luncheon. Fast forward to the 7 minute mark. That's where the stream begins. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Oscar voting has now closed. I always enjoy reading the anonymous Oscar ballots. Here's the first one published by The Hollywood Reporter. 

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot #1

This “Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot,” which is the first in a series that THR will run ahead of Oscar night, reflects the votes — and candid rationales for them — of a male member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ 867-person short films and feature animation branch, as communicated to THR in return for anonymity.[/QUOTE]

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Dwayne Johnson, Bad Bunny and Jennifer Lawrence Among Additional 2024 Oscar Presenters
BY BEATRICE VERHOEVEN    FEBRUARY 29, 2024 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-oscars-presenters-bad-bunny-jennifer-lawrence-1235839743/ 

Bad Bunny, Chris Hemsworth, Dwayne Johnson, Michael Keaton, Regina King, Jennifer Lawrence, Kate McKinnon, Rita Moreno, John Mulaney, Catherine O’Hara, Octavia Spencer and Ramy Youssef have been added as presenters for the 2024 Oscars, showrunner Raj Kapoor and executive producers Molly McNearney and Katy Mullan announced Thursday.

The newly added presenters will join previously announced ones that include Mahershala Ali, Nicolas Cage, Jamie Lee Curtis, Brendan Fraser, Jessica Lange, Matthew McConaughey, Lupita Nyong’o, Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ke Huy Quan, Sam Rockwell, Michelle Yeoh and Zendaya.
Earlier this week, The Hollywood Reporter exclusively reported that five past winners will introduce the current nominees in all four acting categories. It was a hugely popular format that the Academy first and last tried at the Oscars ceremony held 15 years ago, and many Oscar lovers have begged the Academy to bring it back since then.

Edited by tv echo
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Oscar voting has now closed. I always enjoy reading the anonymous Oscar ballots. Here's the first one published by The Hollywood Reporter. 

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot #1

I liked reading this first one.  He wasn't snarky and, unless I overlooked something as I was skimming through it, it sounds like he watched and finished all of the nominated shows.

On 3/1/2024 at 8:30 AM, tv echo said:

Earlier this week, The Hollywood Reporter exclusively reported that five past winners will introduce the current nominees in all four acting categories. It was a hugely popular format that the Academy first and last tried at the Oscars ceremony held 15 years ago, and many Oscar lovers have begged the Academy to bring it back since then.

Eh, I guess I’m one of the few not enamored with this format. But I admit it would be nice to see, and be reminded, of past winners.

1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

For streamers....

Will I be able to watch this year’s Oscars on regular Hulu?

No. Hulu + LiveTV is necessary. 

The ceremony will stream live on ABC.com, but you have to authenticate through one's cable or satellite provider.

Screenshot_20240304_144730_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Eh, I guess I’m one of the few not enamored with this format. But I admit it would be nice to see, and be reminded, of past winners.

I can't believe it's already been FIFTEEN years ago since they did that!  I love the idea of bringing that presentation format back for the acting awards. 

So, according to that article from THR, the following Oscar winning actors have already been confirmed as presenters:

All four of last year's winners: Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Jamie Lee Curtis.

Also confirmed: Past Best Actor winners Nicolas Cage, Matthew McConaughey and Al Pacino; past Best Actress winner Jessica Lange (also has a Supporting Actress win; I doubt they'd have her present in the lesser category,  JMO); past Best Supporting Actor winners Mahershala Ali and Sam Rockwell; past Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong’o.

Assuming that this year's nominees Robert DeNiro and Jodie Foster should be in the house as nominees in this year's Supporting Acting categories, but each is a past winner (Jodie x2!) in the Best Actor/Best Actress category, they will probably take part in the five-hander presentations.

So, that would give us a full five presenters in the Best Actor category, three presenters in the Best Actress category, three for Supporting Actor and two in Supporting Actress. That leaves seven presenter slots open (2 Best Actress, 2 Supporting Actor and 3 Supporting Actress.) More big names to come! Any guesses?

If any one of these actors present Best Picture, it throws off the numbers. I wonder who'll present the big award. 🤔 Best Actress nominee Annette Bening's husband will most likely be in house with her. Does the Academy give past Best Director winner Warren Beatty a chance at redemption for the Moonlight/LaLaLand Best Picture debacle? I've always felt bad for him. He realized something was wrong and was trying to indicate that to Faye Dunaway who didn't get it. I'd actually like to see Beatty have another shot at it. There'd definitely be room for some good comedy lines there!

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. 😄

• Like 1

Host or Maitre D'? - The Oscars LIVE SUN MAR 10 on ABC
ABC   Mar 1, 2024

The Oscars - LIVE SUN MAR 10 NEW TIME 7e/4p on ABC
ABC   Mar 1, 2024

The Oscars - LIVE SUN MAR 10 NEW TIME 7e/4p on ABC
ABC   Mar 1, 2024

21 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I can't believe it's already been FIFTEEN years ago since they did that!  I love the idea of bringing that presentation format back for the acting awards. 

So, according to that article from THR, the following Oscar winning actors have already been confirmed as presenters:

All four of last year's winners: Brendan Fraser, Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Jamie Lee Curtis.

Also confirmed: Past Best Actor winners Nicolas Cage, Matthew McConaughey and Al Pacino; past Best Actress winner Jessica Lange (also has a Supporting Actress win; I doubt they'd have her present in the lesser category,  JMO); past Best Supporting Actor winners Mahershala Ali and Sam Rockwell; past Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong’o.

Assuming that this year's nominees Robert DeNiro and Jodie Foster should be in the house as nominees in this year's Supporting Acting categories, but each is a past winner (Jodie x2!) in the Best Actor/Best Actress category, they will probably take part in the five-hander presentations.

So, that would give us a full five presenters in the Best Actor category, three presenters in the Best Actress category, three for Supporting Actor and two in Supporting Actress. That leaves seven presenter slots open (2 Best Actress, 2 Supporting Actor and 3 Supporting Actress.) More big names to come! Any guesses?

If any one of these actors present Best Picture, it throws off the numbers. I wonder who'll present the big award. 🤔 Best Actress nominee Annette Bening's husband will most likely be in house with her. Does the Academy give past Best Director winner Warren Beatty a chance at redemption for the Moonlight/LaLaLand Best Picture debacle? I've always felt bad for him. He realized something was wrong and was trying to indicate that to Faye Dunaway who didn't get it. I'd actually like to see Beatty have another shot at it. There'd definitely be room for some good comedy lines there!

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. 😄

More have been added:  Sally Field, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron

Forrest Whittaker, Ben Kingsley

Rita Moreno, Octavia Spenser, Regina King, Mary Steenburgen

Tim Robbins, Christoph Waltz

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

More have been added:  Sally Field, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron

Forrest Whittaker, Ben Kingsley

Rita Moreno, Octavia Spenser, Regina King, Mary Steenburgen

Tim Robbins, Christoph Waltz

Thanks for that. So we have all 20 slots filled and then some! It's a great line-up.

I see from your link that Spielberg is presenting. Does he present Best Picture or would he like to hand Christopher Nolan his Best Director Oscar? I guess we'll find out Sunday night!

20 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I see from your link that Spielberg is presenting. Does he present Best Picture or would he like to hand Christopher Nolan his Best Director Oscar? I guess we'll find out Sunday night!

I don't know if this is even remotely true, but I heard on some podcast that the presenters of Best Picture will be Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer.

14 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

LOL - “increasingly desperate Oscar loser Bradley Cooper.” Ouch!

That's so mean.  🤔

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I don't know if this is even remotely true, but I heard on some podcast that the presenters of Best Picture will be Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Sounds very feasible.

These on-stage film reunions of actors seem to have grown in popularity over the past few years, across several award shows. When I saw Pacino's name on the announced presenters list, I considered him a strong possibility to present the Best Picture Oscar, not to mention that Pacino and Pfeiffer co-starred in two films together.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:57 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

For streamers....

Will I be able to watch this year’s Oscars on regular Hulu?

Perhaps this may provide an alternative? It may be split screen. I honestly don't know , but it will be a way to follow the ceremony live.

• Like 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Sounds very feasible.

These on-stage film reunions of actors seem to have grown in popularity over the past few years, across several award shows. When I saw Pacino's name on the announced presenters list, I considered him a strong possibility to present the Best Picture Oscar, not to mention that Pacino and Pfeiffer co-starred in two films together.

The reunions, I love! And it doesn’t have to be from Oscar-nominated or winning movies. Reunions from well-loved, popular movies, or even cult indie films, which I think will have viewers feel more like they can relate to the show, and not feel like the Oscars are just a bunch of long, unknown movies most people didn’t watch (except Barbenheimer this year).

Just look at how reunions were well-received at the Emmy’s recently!

I mean, I would love to see a Paul Rudd/Alicia Silverstone pairing, or a Rachel McAdams/Ryan Gosling. Or a Julia Roberts/Richard Gere. Julia Roberts/Rupert Everett, Leonardo/Kate Winslet, Susan Sarandon/Geena Davis… I could go on and on. 

One particular presenting group I remember that I loved in recent Oscars, though not a reunion, was when they put together Brie Larson, Sigourney Weaver and Gal Gadot together. Brie and Gal being modern day superheroes, and then paying homage to one of the original badass ones.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 4
(edited)
12 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

One particular presenting group I remember that I loved in recent Oscars, though not a reunion, was when they put together Brie Larson, Sigourney Weaver and Gal Gadot together. Brie and Gal being modern superheroes, and then paying homage to one of the original badass ones.

That was very cool!

One of my most favorite pairings was for Best Picture many years ago.  The show came back from commercial airing a clip from Cat on A Hot Tin Roof featuring a battling Maggie and Brick, and out comes Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor.  I think Silence of the Lambs won that year.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 1

More Anonymous Oscar Ballots

Writer: Oppenheimer. I think it was a brilliant screenplay. The characters, the structure, the whole thing was brilliant. I didn’t see Barbie, so I don’t know about that one. It just didn’t strike me as interesting. Poor Things, I didn’t see. No, [I didn’t watch American Fiction or Zone of Interest]. Not all those movies come [to where I live].

🙄

(edited)

Jimmy Kimmel Talks About Hosting The Oscars LIVE SUNDAY at a NEW EARLIER TIME 7e/4p on ABC - Oscars
ABC   Mar 8, 2024

Edited by tv echo
56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Will anyone be here tonight to live chat the red carpet and/or the ceremony?

I'll jump in from time to time for the red carpet, but we have company coming for the ceremony.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'll probably skip the red carpet, but I'll definitely be here for the main show. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm definitely ready to chat about it all lol. I've got my Hershey's candy coated Chocolate eggs for the show. I'm all set. 

• Like 5

I'm watching both the red carpet and the show. I'll pop in here periodically.

Many of the categories are fairly well locked down, but what upset victory would you like to see tonight?

For me it's Original Screenplay. Anatomy of A Fall is the expected winner with the upset pick being The Holdovers. I'm actually hoping for Past Lives to sneak in for a win. Unlikely, but I don't think impossible. 🤞

I know it won't happen, but I have my reasons for hoping that Barbie upsets one of the categories tonight. 

What channel does do you all like for the red carpet arrivals?

• Love 1

Really looking forward to red carpet tonight. Im probably going to watch E! Or potentially itv red carpet as they’re hosting the ceremony in Uk. 

• Like 1

I'm watching E!.

And Erika Alexander from American Fiction looks great from the waist up, but I really hate the black skirt with the rainbow ruffles over the longer cream skirt.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I'll be here for the ceremony.  I might get here a little bit beforehand, but with the ceremony starting an hour earlier, I might still have dinner guests--I'm in the Central time zone.  But definitely the ceremony!!

41 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Many of the categories are fairly well locked down, but what upset victory would you like to see tonight?

My insane pick for "major upset" is in Best Actor: Jeffrey Wright for American Fiction.  Not happening--I figure if Cillian Murphy gets upset, it'll be by Paul Giamatti (although I'm not sure that'll be an upset since that category seems to be a little bit of a toss-up??).  But a woman can dream.

• Like 2

Who do we think between Lilly Gladstone and Emma Stone? I think it should be Emma Stone but the fact that she’s relatively new and doesn’t have any previous awards might give Lilly the edge.

47 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm watching both the red carpet and the show. I'll pop in here periodically.

For me it's Original Screenplay. Anatomy of A Fall is the expected winner with the upset pick being The Holdovers. I'm actually hoping for Past Lives to sneak in for a win. Unlikely, but I don't think impossible. 🤞

I’m hoping for a Past Lives upset too. It’s the film’s best, and only, shot at a win tonight.

I’m probably going to skip the red carpet but will be here for the ceremony here and there. Gotta use the time to get dinner ready and kids ready for bed!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think the color on Erica's dress would have looked better if the sheer material was white (and then left the gloves off).

I honestly can't decide between Lily Gladstone and Emma Stone. They are both so good.

• Like 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Who do we think between Lilly Gladstone and Emma Stone? I think it should be Emma Stone but the fact that she’s relatively new and doesn’t have any previous awards might give Lilly the edge.

For performance alone, I’m for Emma Stone. But Lily has the narrative down.

It may end up being sort of a Meryl Streep upset-but-not-really win over Viola Davis in 2012 if Emma ends up winning. Or ala-Sir Anthony Hopkins winning over Chadwick Boseman kind of upset. 

Kinda funny to think of a potential Emma win as an “upset” when she entered awards season as the favorite, and one with the best odds.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Like 3
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm watching E!.

And Erika Alexander from American Fiction looks great from the waist up, but I really hate the black skirt with the rainbow ruffles over the longer cream skirt.

I feel the same way. At first glance the dress seemed nice then they showed the whole thing lol.  I liked seeing the Godzilla crew holding action figures of him lol. 

• Like 2

Brittany Snow's dress isn't bad, but I don't think that yellow works for her.

Marlee Matlin is very sparkly.  It always seems to me that sequined or jeweled dresses like that would be so uncomfortable to sit on.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

For performance alone, I’m for Emma Stone. But Lily has the narrative down.

Emma was amazing in Poor Things, I think it is crazy she has an Oscar for La La Land but may not get it here. But, performance isn't always the only factor.

• Like 6

Yellow is not a favorite color of mine so the dress Brittany Snow is wearing didn't work for me. Nice looking dress but wrong color. 

I like the nod of Marlee Matlin wearing purple like she wore when she won.  While I love that color much more and don't mind a sequined or sparkly dress this was another won that didn't work for me. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I know it won't happen, but I have my reasons for hoping that Barbie upsets one of the categories tonight. 

What channel does do you all like for the red carpet arrivals?

I have E! on for interviews and I also have a livestream open from AP News which has no commentary at all, just all the arrivals at the camera area. All you hear is the photographers shouting at them! I've got to say, it can't be a pleasant feeling.

While I think Barbie will take Production Design and/or Costuming (I think Poor Things gets one and Barbie gets the other,) it could upset in Adapted Screenplay, giving an Oscar to Greta Gerwig.

6 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Each of them gave a wonderful performance from opposite ends of the acting spectrum I don't think it's possible to say that one of them was better than the other. That leaves the narrative as the tie breaker, (Emma already has one and Lily would be the first indigenous winner in the category) which is why I think Lily Gladstone wins the award. 

• Like 1

Sissy Spacek and her sunglasses are in the house lol. 

American Fiction was a good movie. Had it come out in a different year I think it would have won a few more Awards. 

• Like 2

I love Rita Moreno.  She is awesome, and is a national treasure.  But that dress looks like it's trying to consume her head.  I do not like all the ruffles climbing her neck.

Eva Longoria looks good from what I can see -- no idea about the skirt part of her dress, though.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Emma was amazing in Poor Things, I think it is crazy she has an Oscar for La La Land but may not get it here. But, performance isn't always the only factor.

I’m one of the few who wasn’t too crazy about La La Land. I thought it was a typical, overwrought romance (I can name some rom-coms that were much better than it but didn’t make any Oscar mileage), but obviously Hollywood loves anything that celebrates itself. So yeah, it would be weird for her to not win for the much better, Oscar-caliber performance.

• Like 2