Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E04: A Deal with the Devil

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I’d really like to know how Christine and Kody decided to name their children such “different” names. Are they somehow from the Mormon church history? Paedon?

These are not names from Mormon history/scripture. You do see those names as well: Hyrum, Ammon, Manti, etc. But as noted above, the "Aspyn" and "Mykelti" trend is a whole thing among white Utah Mormons.

• Like 2
  • Useful 8
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Still, why leave that mess out?

My husband leaves his vitamins on the counter so he remembers to take them. We don’t have small kids but we do have a conniving cat that likes to knock things on the floor for the dogs to get.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
13 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I imagine the gifts for Ysabel and Truely were very impersonal.  Unless Christine bought them. Kody doesn’t know anything about the two of them and Robyn doesn’t either. Especially considering how they’ve isolated themselves. 

There is a quick shot in the last clip of the later Christmas, where Truely is opening a package from Meri and looks pleased (you can tell it's from Meri because it's a blanket and pajamas). However, Meri did not appear to be present that day.

• Like 4
  • Useful 9
13 hours ago, toodywoody said:

When Kidney was going on and on about he didn't know what the family would look like made me mad. The family is the same, the kids are growing up and all not in the same locations. The family will always be all of them, but now with added spouses and grandkids. What the hell is wrong with him? It shouldn't be about being pissed off at Janelle and Christine. Those two were responsible for many years of raising the kids, while he farted and flitted around trying to show how special he was. They have no problem with you seeing your children and Christine even came from Utah to spend Christmas closer to the family. It's just stupid the way Kidney is acting towards his kids and saying on camera the shit he's saying about Jenelle and Christine. Everytime he's on screen he looks like the demon from Ghostbusters 2 or Randal Flagg's demon from The Stand miniseries with Ringwald. Like get over yourself and go spend time with your kids. The family is still the family to everyone but him.

Great minds!  I think Kootie looks like Randall Flagg, too!  Those beady shark eyes of his...ugh!

Applauding the rest of your comments, too.  He is one loathsome asshole.

• Like 13
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

From what I understand it happened when he was with Kody.

This one is a bit of a mystery. I have read both sides here and there. That Dayton was in Wyoming or was with his bio-Dad. So me being me I looked up the episode where he has his eye surgery and they show the bedside photo of Robyn posed holding his hand...

Robyn says "he was out of town visiting friends", so I'm sure that is how the assumption became that he was with his bio-Dad. Kody didn't flinch or show any signs of guilt that he was there when Dayton had the accident. I doubt it will ever be clear one way or the other. Robyn is so reluctant to allow him to go anywhere on his own (even now it seems) let alone at that age (about 10 years ago-ish) allowing him to go on a trip without her.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Nor did he care that Truely  was not comfortable riding her bike and Kody kept insisting that she stay on and ride.

Nor did he care when she was so ill that she had to be admitted to the hospital.  If it's not all about him, it's beneath his notice.

He has no need to show guilt because he's always right.  It's everyone else that is wrong or their fault somehow.

• Like 7
  • Applause 13
  • Love 1

Kody made such a big dill about how his sons couldn't come to Christmas at the Precious Moments Emporium unless they "cleared the air".  That meant unless they put up with him yelling at them for however long it took to force an apology out of them.  I doubt that would have ever happened BTW.  But his point was that he wasn't going to play fake happy families with them when he felt slighted.  I wonder how he would have felt if Ysabel had told him the same thing.  That she would not play fake happy families with him until they cleared the air about how he treated her around her surgery.  First telling her to go across the country by herself, then not even calling or sending anything to express support.  I felt bad for her that she had to go there and pretend everything was fine.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
On 9/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, Roslyn said:

And for me at least just too close to home. Christmas wasn't easy when I was young and my family imploded at Christmas when I was a pre-teen. I know how it is as a kid when some adults are bickering and make all the other adults "weird" and you just have to be in this great big bubble of uncomfortable... but they expect the kids to still be all excited about Christmas. 🎄

Not only that, but the "adults" could get into screaming matches and ruin everything, but the kids had to act like it was the best Christmas ever or they would get in trouble.  Nothing like trying to smile while opening a gift with your eyes filled with tears and trying so hard not to cry.  And getting yelled at for it.  Ask me how I know.  Savannah may have been hurt in the short run, but she got off better by not having to make an appearance at the Precious Moments Emporium.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 18
15 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

A meme I just ran across.  No danger of an invitation to a Think Tank.

a.jpg

Coming this fall to Netflix: a chilling documentary about a man who thinks thoughts and then thinks some more while thinking about thoughts.  You will not be able to sleep after watching Nathan stare into the camera while discussing how he thinks thoughts about thinking thoughts.  Watch, if you dare!

11 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

Nothing like trying to smile while opening a gift with your eyes filled with tears and trying so hard not to cry.  And getting yelled at for it.  Ask me how I know.  Savannah may have been hurt in the short run, but she got off better by not having to make an appearance at the Precious Moments Emporium.

Applause and hugs.

And being on the other end of it - being the adult who maybe just had a Christmas morning argument with a spouse and is trying hard to keep it together so the kids enjoy themselves.

And I think you're right - why should Savanah have her Christmas ruined by having to play Daddy-Daughter at Robyn's house?  I hope she was asked and decided not to go, but my feeling is that Kody was so pissed at Janelle that he was the one who decided to punish Janelle by not inviting Savanah.

Kody and Robyn kept blathering on about it being Christmas, and how everything needs to be glitter and unicorns on Christmas.  If that's the case, then Kody should've started working on making amends with his kids long before that magical day of magic.  Nothing like throwing a few random family members together who probably haven't spoken in months to pretend like all is well just because it's a holiday.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

A meme I just ran across.  No danger of an invitation to a Think Tank.

a.jpg

Gold!

After listening to Mr. Dilt’s interview on The Brothers Random podcast where Kody’s brother referred to him as the most interesting person in any room (or some such) then watching this episode, all I can see is a con artist. A spiritual con artist. The Pop Psychologist already outed Mr. Dilts on that fear/self delusion/anger mistake, and I feel like Nathan has  gotten away with that sort of thing a lot with these folks.
I think even less of Kody after meeting his best friend - and of course that’s saying something. 

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 9/11/2023 at 4:39 PM, WhatsUpDummy said:

This has been a theory of mine for some time.  I've always wondered if the reason why Meri stayed even though Kody so obviously hated her was because Meri's mom, Bonnie, loved Kody and she loved polygamy, and Meri loved and respected her mom so much that she stayed out of fear of disappointing her.  

I think Meri deeply loved Kody also, and genuinely just wanted any speck of attention from him. She tried so hard and so awkwardly in recent years it was awful to watch. Rejection from Kody every time.

I’m glad she finally saw it for what it is and left. I don’t like Meri or her fake persona on socials, but watching her yearn for attention for years and fail was uncomfortable to observe. 

• Like 20
18 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I wonder how he would have felt if Ysabel had told him the same thing.  That she would not play fake happy families with him until they cleared the air about how he treated her around her surgery.  First telling her to go across the country by herself, then not even calling or sending anything to express support.

But... he gave her his sweatshirt! So she could smell his essence near her as she recovered. (BTW I used to work with a spine surgeon. Scoliosis surgery is VERY huge and recovery can be extremely painful. Moreso than, for example, getting one's ears pierced.)

6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Nothing like throwing a few random family members together who probably haven't spoken in months to pretend like all is well just because it's a holiday.

Hey, that's kind of like... a family of alcoholics getting together after a huge drunken fight and acting like everything is all fine.

• Like 3
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

Not only that, but the "adults" could get into screaming matches and ruin everything, but the kids had to act like it was the best Christmas ever or they would get in trouble.  Nothing like trying to smile while opening a gift with your eyes filled with tears and trying so hard not to cry.  And getting yelled at for it.  Ask me how I know.  Savannah may have been hurt in the short run, but she got off better by not having to make an appearance at the Precious Moments Emporium.

So very true. The "Precious Moments Emporium" of my childhood was my aunts house. It was one of those perfect houses with clean room spotlessness. You were scared to touch anything or walk too hard on the bouncy shag rug. I was always instructed to sit on the floor because my "boney butt" left the couch cushions with lumps. I have never understood what that was supposed to even mean.

Savannah was on camera with a pretty even face, but that had to burn. I did read over on Reddit, where people have posted things Myketi is saying on her Patreon that Savannah wasn't invited. You just shake your head at the absolute cruelty of that man.

• Like 2
  • Sad 16
41 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I did read over on Reddit, where people have posted things Myketi is saying on her Patreon that Savannah wasn't invited. You just shake your head at the absolute cruelty of that man.

You know, that strikes me as cruelty on Mykelti's part, advertising that her sister wasn't invited, compounding the pain of actually NOT being invited. Though perhaps we're all wrong and Savanah was happy to not have to pretend to be glad to see her dad knowing how he had behaved like a "knife to the kidneys" Curly Head to her mom and her brothers.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
16 minutes ago, altopower said:

You know, that strikes me as cruelty on Mykelti's part, advertising that her sister wasn't invited, compounding the pain of actually NOT being invited.

I have always thought that Mykelti loves to stir the pot so had to get it out for the world to know..  That was really nasty on her part but she has shown that she's a Kootie supporter.  

Savannah was quite subdued in all of the Christmas scenes but that might be her normal demeanor.

Still, I cannot even fathom the fodder for bullies of all of those kids due to SM and posting by their siblings.  The older ones probably blow it off but poor Sol seems like a sensitive soul. 

I doubt it will affect Areola, she can just sick on her pacifier. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2023 at 8:19 AM, Sandy W said:

Send them to the Arctic Circle for a Polar Bear watch.  We all know how much Robyn loves the cold and if it became time to defend his family, Kody could pull the knife from his kidney and go mano a mano with the bear.

Gah, I’d root for the bear so hard. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I did read over on Reddit, where people have posted things Myketi is saying on her Patreon that Savannah wasn't invited.

I read that Mykelti said she didn’t know if she was invited. It was also said that she said  if she knew she wasn’t invited she would have confronted Kody about it, which in my opinion was a lie. I can’t stand Mykelti. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I read that Mykelti said she didn’t know if she was invited. It was also said that she said  if she knew she wasn’t invited she would have confronted Kody about it, which in my opinion was a lie. I can’t stand Mykelti. 

That’s unbelievable.   MyKelti obviously came to  Flagstaff with Christina, Ysabel and Truely.  They were there in the Airbnb with Janelle and the kids including Savannah.  You know there was a conversation about MyKelti, Ysabel and Truely going over to Kody and Robins and was Savannah coming?  The only way there wasn’t is if Kody and Robyn told those three not to talk to Savannah about it.  So MyKelti knows. 

• Like 15
  • Sad 3
24 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

The only way there wasn’t is if Kody and Robyn told those three not to talk to Savannah about it.  So MyKelti knows. 

I don't trust Mykelti as far as I can throw her. But if Kody told her not to say anything to Savannah, she would obey. I can't picture all three of them not saying anything, though, especially if they were in the same place with Janelle's kids. Kody is one mean, cruel father.  Ugh. He's a mean man period.

• Like 13
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, altopower said:

But if Kody told her not to say anything to Savannah, she would obey. I can't picture all three of them not saying anything, though, especially if they were in the same place with Janelle's kids

Plus it's all recorded so no secrets are possible.

• Like 9

Little for me to add but a few thoughts.

Kody clearly saying "the one wife I'm still in love with" when talking to Nathan.  Nice, Kody, nice.

I cannot wait for Meri to leave.  She's been a doormat for far too long and needs to find some self-respect.  I have a lot of issues with how Meri has been within this family but as a friend she's probably quite fun.

Though I imagine this won't be the case, the preview showed Robyn saying that she didn't feel that Kody spent enough time at her house (had to have been referring to Lehi or Vegas, obviously).  I would absolutely love it if that is what finally makes Meri blow a gasket and leave.  I doubt it though.  It's probably going to be something boring about her needing to be at the B&B.

Not related to this episode, but he would have been fine with Ysabel going across the country to have a massively invasive surgery with an exceedingly painful recovery period BY HERSELF, yet the day of ear piercing for one of the non-tenders was treated like a national holiday. WTAF?

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 3
11 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Coming this fall to Netflix: a chilling documentary about a man who thinks thoughts and then thinks some more while thinking about thoughts.  You will not be able to sleep after watching Nathan stare into the camera while discussing how he thinks thoughts about thinking thoughts.  Watch, if you dare!

Kind of like a group of adults who get together to discuss how to communicate better, over and over and over.

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This matches with what I heard Mykelti say. She was asked several times during her live, and basically said she does not know if Savanah was invited, and she doesn't know why not, but when she found out Kody didn't even call Savanah to wish her Merry Christmas, she (Mykelti) was "pissed."

• Like 2
  • Useful 8
45 minutes ago, General Days said:

This matches with what I heard Mykelti say. She was asked several times during her live, and basically said she does not know if Savanah was invited, and she doesn't know why not, but when she found out Kody didn't even call Savanah to wish her Merry Christmas, she (Mykelti) was "pissed."

Yet she and Tony defend the asshole.  How long is being Switzerland going to get her favor with the toxic duo?  

Mykelti must be eating up being daddy's favorite non-Sobbyn kid.  It used to be Maddie and Caleb were his favorites.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

I think we might be able to come to a general consensus that Mykelti is on a teeter totter and playing both sides of the coin. Christine is feeding her a list of things she isn't allowed to say, so Mykelti is coy and elusive about a,b,c and then Robyn and Kody are obviously giving her their own version of what not to say so Mykelti is then elusive about x,y,z. Everything in the middle gets convoluted and muddled.

Mykelti is there for Mykelti. She saw Gwen pulling in the $$ and jumped on the band wagon to fill her own coffers. She wants to be relevant instead of just living her life away from the "family business" like many of her other siblings.

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, General Days said:

Yet there she was at Robyn’s and Savanah wasn’t there. If she left the rental house with only Truely and Ysabel, it didn’t occur to her Savanah wasn’t with them? It’s ridiculous. If she wasn’t at the rental first, which I find unlikely, it still didn’t occur to her? This pisses me off at the moment!!

• Like 18
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I have metal sensitivity and can't pierce anything but can wear rings and necklaces although depending on the particular metal and whether I react to it makes all the difference. I don't think Meri is being dishonest about this. I spent my whole life wishing I could have pierced ears but after three tries had to give up. And I still don't often wear metal necklaces and rings but can do so for special occasions but they do bug me.

I can't wear anything in my ears except 14+ carat gold which is a pisser.  None of those cute cheap earrings as a kid.  I can wear shit jewelry around my neck, wrist and fingers if I so chose.  I am not a big jewelry person.  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
On 9/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, Ms.Lulu said:

Robyn has about $3500-4000 of Dickens Village that she has collected 'because Kody likes it.'

You all are right. Robyn is just on this side of being a hoarder. But her hoarding is expensive now. When the show stops it will switch to cereal boxes, handguns, and broken precious moments that she picks up at Goodwill.

Good Grief!

They must be big with the Mormon crowd.  My grandmother (Mormon) bought me and my two sisters plus all 6 of my cousins these things every Xmas.  I have no idea how she afforded it.  They never come out of my closet.  A pain in the ass to set up and worse to take down.  But they meant something to her so I cannot get rid of them.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:20 PM, Roslyn said:

I honestly have little to add about this episode. It's unbelievably depressing. Here it is...Christmas and it's just...depressing.

And for me at least just too close to home. Christmas wasn't easy when I was young and my family imploded at Christmas when I was a pre-teen. I know how it is as a kid when some adults are bickering and make all the other adults "weird" and you just have to be in this great big bubble of uncomfortable... but they expect the kids to still be all excited about Christmas. 🎄

I was so happy as an adult to be a professional baker. Guaranteed too busy to be bothered with the drama at the Holidays.

Although...there is this tiny pettiness in me. If I was Christine I would have dropped off a basket for Kody filled with just the tops of her homemade rolls...cause that might be what he misses the most about her on Christmas. But...that wouldn't be great to do with the kids.

Then I would definitely just give the bottom of the rolls.  HA!

• Like 8
On 9/12/2023 at 9:17 PM, suomi said:

randall-flagg-first-appeared-in-the-dark

OMG!  You have got it!  I need to go watch this again.  Both The Stand and this episode.  I love that 90's miniseries.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:03 PM, Art Of Noiz said:

I agree, but she got Robyn's chin. 

Bummer.  Hope she doesn't get the goiter

On 9/13/2023 at 7:31 AM, IvySpice said:

These are not names from Mormon history/scripture. You do see those names as well: Hyrum, Ammon, Manti, etc. But as noted above, the "Aspyn" and "Mykelti" trend is a whole thing among white Utah Mormons.

I had a Percy, Cola May, Zenda as well as many other off the wall names in my Mormon family.

Next Robyn should do a vlog like other Mormon wives.  Cause she is so inspirational.  HA!

• LOL 10
21 hours ago, BnJJ said:

Not related to this episode, but he would have been fine with Ysabel going across the country to have a massively invasive surgery with an exceedingly painful recovery period BY HERSELF, yet the day of ear piercing for one of the non-tenders was treated like a national holiday. WTAF?

But Ysabel had that surgery under full anaesthesia, with plenty of pain relief and other meds to make her more comfortable. She also had skilled nurses and doctors to help her getting through her ordeal.
And poor AuROARa had none of that!! Just take a second to imagine the horror and pain of having your ears pierced without proper pain relief and no doctors or nurses around to support you??  So, of course Kody had to be there. It’s just a matter of priorities and common sense, Right??

Edited by LilyD
  • Like 1
  • Wink 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 16
On 9/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, Elizzikra said:

If I were Christine and I were going to give him anything at all, it would be a basket filled with just the bottoms of her homemade rolls... because the tops are the part he actually likes.

I thought Paedon has admitted to hitting her at least once? Also, I don't think that "opposite ends of the political spectrum" quite does it justice. Gwen is married to a woman and Paedon is homophobic. I can see why she doesn't want to be around him.

What did Paedon do that was homophobic?  

Did he hit her as an adult or when they were kids? 

I just watched the episode today. So Robyn and Kody basically have what they want, why aren't they happy?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

He opened his mouth and spoke out loud.

So he literally said comments or Gwen is saying this because she doesn't like him? I think people throw around homophobic way too much these days. 

Edited by Cherry Styles
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Cherry Styles said:

So he literally said comments or Gwen is saying this because she doesn't like him? I think people throw around homophobic way too much these days. 

He made specific comments, I believe on his own social media. I don't follow any of them on social media so I have only seen what people have reposted here.

It's not been my experience that people "throw around homophobic too much." I think people are still not quick enough or bold enough (no judgment, sometimes self-preservation takes precedence) to call out bigotry when they see it, personally, but I think characterizing Paedon as "homophobic" or "anti-gay" is a fair depiction.

• Like 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, Cherry Styles said:

Yes he literally “said comments”.  I’m not going to post them, nor am I going to comment any further.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
On 9/12/2023 at 6:09 AM, laurakaye said:

Those two beady-eyed dudes driving around in a truck spouting maniverse soundbites that they both learned from their woman-haters club websites was both eye-rollingly stupid but also somewhat creepy.  Kody gives off vibes of being unhinged, but Nathan gives me profoundly uncomfortable vibes as well.  It wasn't entertaining listening to them try and parse out their rage and anger at the women and children who they perceive as having done them wrong.

And later on, when Kody talks about becoming the devil, hating everything, hating his life and wanting to walk away from it all?  What was that about?  Kody is known for his flair for the dramatic but that sounded horrible.  He is really a piece of work - he built this family and then he destroyed it and now he wants to walk away from the wreckage.  And yet - he still wants to be considered the patriarch?  I really am coming around to the fact that there's something not working in his brain, and it almost comes across as threatening and/or dangerous.

Just my opinion but I think all those type of comments are tied to Robyn and Kodys great idea of garnering sympathy for Robyn like

"See I'm just as ignored and hard done by as the others"

"Oh meee! Oh myyyyy, Kody might leave me too!"

"Kody might divorce meeeeee!"

"I wanted more time with him too"

"Plural marriage is HARD, you have to really work at it!"

blah, blah, blah they're so full of it they're turning brown!  (No pun intended)🙄

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

So many insightful comments- so much to unpack. Will try not to repeat popular already said comments, but my 2 cents 

1. Janelle is hurt and sad and embarrassed but she's going to be ok and happier.

2. Meri knows the score and will be happier soon. 

3. Think it was Gabe who said something about Janelle's kids got along with ALL of Christine's kids- Paeden and Gwen included? Hope so.

4. What Kody has done to Savannah is unforgivable. Why doesn't Robyn step up and tell him to contact her since she's the best communicator in the family.

Gosh, I love to hate-watch Kobyn.

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 13
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, Dustbunny said:

Just my opinion but I think all those type of comments are tied to Robyn and Kodys great idea of garnering sympathy for Robyn like

"See I'm just as ignored and hard done by as the others"

"Oh meee! Oh myyyyy, Kody might leave me too!"

"Kody might divorce meeeeee!"

"I wanted more time with him too"

"Plural marriage is HARD, you have to really work at it!"

blah, blah, blah they're so full of it they're turning brown!  (No pun intended)🙄

They are BROWN down to their necks!  Heads up their asses, and don't try to bother them with truth!  

• LOL 10