Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

The statement, find someone you can't live without - that's a nice sentiment.  However, was it Leslie who told him she can't live without him?  Really? Wow, if someone told me that early in a relationship I would want to run. And I would never say it. And the over-sharing about past relationships and being hurt so many times.  Do they not realize they come across as damaged?  We've all been hurt but you don't have to put everything out there in early days. I'm not saying to lie or put up a false front, but when they start crying about how they have never had someone who really cares about them - red flags!  

Leslie is only 2 years older than me. It made me think if I would want to be with a man that much older. At this point and this age, no. Now if I married him in my 20s and he was that much older, I wouldn't care. I have a friend who's husband is about 9 or 10 years older than  her but they have been married for a long time and it makes no difference. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 6
18 hours ago, Jaundiced Eye said:

I can't live without you, Gerry! I'm falling in love with you. 🤮 

All 3 of them professing their love for him was so cringey. They barely know him, it's ridiculous. They must have no self respect or are majorly horny!

All of them need a good haircut and deep, deep conditioner. If you're gonna wear your hair long at that age make sure it's healthy and trimmed regularly. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

This week's episode confirmed for me that I really don't like Gerry.  Maybe because he has just seemed to say the say things week after week.  Maybe because he seems to be most into the damaged/needy women and I think that it's due to him wanting to 'save' someone (maybe because he couldn't save his wife?).  Maybe because some of the dye seemed to be coming off of his hair and patches of gray were showing (and I'm just shallow like that).  Maybe because his stubble just reminds me of older men who couldn't shave too close as their skin has thinned (and as I'm older, I get the thinner skin stuff).

His three finalists all seem interchangable to me.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

It is interesting as I had read that he doesn't have a type early on, so I assumed he was going to go for all the blondes. Guess not. 

I pegged his brunette fixation around the top 8 or 9 elimination when he had 2 blondes, Sandra and about 5 or 6 brunettes left.

It's why I didn't think he'd stay hung up on Joan.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, mytmo said:

Ugh don't like any of the finalists but then I don't care for wimpy Gerry either.

Felt a little bad for Ellen and she looked a little pissed that she wasn't picked.

Does he have a thing for hot tubs?  Bet he hooked up with both Leslie and Faith.  

Unpopular but  I have said  before I don't like Gerry  and did anyone else get  'seeking sister wives' vibes when the final three and him hugged lol.

All that crying I'm pretty sure the women who left with excuses   felt the same way and dried  right up with all his crying and kissing everybody.  gross gross gross.

Edited by LEILANI2
  • Like 4
  • LOL 2

When Gerry was doing the talk-show circuit just prior to this show debuting, he seemed nice and natural. He's coming across as kind of sappy to me now. Out of the whole bunch, Susan seems the most well-adjusted person there.

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, kristen111 said:

I think Gerry looks too good for 71.  He’s tall, very fit and is very cute.  To me, I think he would want a woman much younger than these, and could get them in a flash.

Not every older guy wants a young girl- he seems like he wants a woman close to his age

• Like 2

Well, I’m excited for next week, if only to see *my* hometown in the background of one of the hometown dates! I was lightly spoiled, there have been claims on social media that he’d been spotted here earlier this year; plus, my brother is friends with one of Faith’s friends and he let it slip that she told him Faith was in the final 3. I’ve heard nothing beyond that, I’m doing my best to stay spoiler-free for the next 2 weeks!

it’s so funny to me how many people have said they can’t tell Faith & Leslie apart. I guess because I “know” her (as I’ve said, not personally, but she’s a well-known personality locally), they don’t look anything alike to me. I do think Faith is prettier, but maybe I’m biased for the local gal. 

if they do a Golden Bachelorette, I sooooooo want them to pick Susan, she is terrific. She seemed genuinely happy for Faith getting the 1-on-1 date and she comes across as so kind and caring. She looked fabulous at the amusement park, too — her top was cute and her makeup was really pretty. 

• Like 11
12 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Sandra 75

The eldest too I think, yet she looks better than any of the rest insofar as actual age compared to how old they look.  That woman needs to do a health and beauty blog or write a book...she could pass for around 50 with no problem.

• Like 19
52 minutes ago, ichbin said:

The eldest too I think, yet she looks better than any of the rest insofar as actual age compared to how old they look.  That woman needs to do a health and beauty blog or write a book...she could pass for around 50 with no problem.

She pulled her hair back at the rose ceremony and looked her age. She needs hair around her face. 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I had an epiphany in watching this episode, and I'm not proud of it. But confession is good for the soul, so....

I don't like viewing geezers like me getting all smoochy-smoochy! Bleagh! 

Lol! I know! Its hard enough looking at the young ones. I am a geezer, and couldn’t stand watching it either! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 9
5 hours ago, LEILANI2 said:

Unpopular but  I have said  before I don't like Gerry  and did anyone else get  'seeking sister wives' vibes when the final three and him hugged lol.

That was incredibly awkward--the one in the middle trying to figure out how to get in on it.  Weeeeeird.

17 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

[Sandra] pulled her hair back at the rose ceremony and looked her age. She needs hair around her face. 

I noticed that, too, but can't figure out exactly what the hair is concealing/why she looked so different with it pulled back.  I also wonder if her glasses also make her look younger.  I swear I remember people used to say Sophia Loren wore glasses because it disguised the wrinkles around her eyes.

• Useful 5

Once again, don't kill the messenger I am just passing on what I read elsewhere.  Now excuse me while I duck for cover...

Gerry had a girlfriend that moved in with him, and he was great previous to living together. And then it was complete controlling behavior once they moved in together. Where are you, what are you doing 24/7. The lady was so freaked out she got the heck out of there and was so relieved she had not sold her previous home. The source was her relative. True or not, there is no way to know. It has also been said that he had a serious girlfriend and when he got cast he dumped her.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 12

I remember watching the episode of Live with Kelly and Mark that Gerry was on, and he said something along the lines of tending to trend towards women closer to his age and away from younger because he found that there were cultural differences in terms of references and music and such. 

I find that curious, seeing as two of his F3 are in their early 60s: Faith is 60 and Leslie is 64. Theresa is 70. 

However, judging by last night's episode, Theresa seems like she is a distant third. 

And I saw an article today that said that the hometowns are with 3 women instead of 4 because the episodes are only an hour long. How about making them longer? I know The Golden franchise was a gamble, but I think it far exceeded expectations. (at least it has for me) 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

I find that curious, seeing as two of his F3 are in their early 60s: Faith is 60 and Leslie is 64. Theresa is 70.

I think a decade age difference at that age is basically considered the same age.  The truth is, an active, good-looking guy who seems to be financially secure probably could easily get a girlfriend in her 40s or 50s if he wanted.  Maybe even younger.  Especially if they're nice.

Assuming most people start becoming aware of pop culture around 10, a 60 year old and a 70 year old share approximately 50 years of historical overlap by the time they reach those ages.  In all likelihood, they'll share memories of pop culture and events, even if it's a bit different as one person is entering their teen years and another just leaving them.

On the other hand, a 40 year old and a 70 year old have 30 years of historical overlap, which isn't insignificant, but what people pay attention to at 10 and what people pay attention to at 40 (which would have been Gerry's age at the time a 40 year old hit 10), has a much bigger gap than your 10 and 20 year old.   

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

But these women are too old for the hairstyle they had 40 years ago.

They'd look cute in a chin-length bob or the Kris Jenner look Susan had.  Thinning hair on us older women is a problem and a shorter cut makes it look thicker.  Of course, I'm sure a lot of these women have hair extensions or weaves.

• Like 11
4 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Theresa looks like a Muppet. Her face shape, there's just something muppet-like about her. And she does not know how to dress. As we get older, we learn that looking hot or sexy does not have to mean wearing a dress meant for a 20 year old. Does she buy her rose ceremony dresses at Forever 21?

OMG .. the last dress was horrible.  Too sexy for her age and the bones sticking out all over is not a good look.  You forgot her lipstick, which is too dark and not applied properly.   She’s smothering him too much too.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, endure said:

Yeah that seemed very manipulative to me 😕

These women are so needy.  What happened to playing a little “hard to get”?  A little challenge.  Teresa is slobbering all over him.  Pathetic.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Once again, don't kill the messenger I am just passing on what I read elsewhere.  Now excuse me while I duck for cover...

Gerry had a girlfriend that moved in with him, and he was great previous to living together. And then it was complete controlling behavior once they moved in together. Where are you, what are you doing 24/7. The lady was so freaked out she got the heck out of there and was so relieved she had not sold her previous home. The source was her relative. True or not, there is no way to know. It has also been said that he had a serious girlfriend and when he got cast he dumped her.

I agree and believe you.  He might be a “player” .  My husband was reading the paper and said “this guy has some line of shit”, lol.

Edited by kristen111
  • LOL 18
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think a decade age difference at that age is basically considered the same age.  The truth is, an active, good-looking guy who seems to be financially secure probably could easily get a girlfriend in her 40s or 50s if he wanted.  Maybe even younger.  Especially if they're nice.

Assuming most people start becoming aware of pop culture around 10, a 60 year old and a 70 year old share approximately 50 years of historical overlap by the time they reach those ages.  In all likelihood, they'll share memories of pop culture and events, even if it's a bit different as one person is entering their teen years and another just leaving them.

On the other hand, a 40 year old and a 70 year old have 30 years of historical overlap, which isn't insignificant, but what people pay attention to at 10 and what people pay attention to at 40 (which would have been Gerry's age at the time a 40 year old hit 10), has a much bigger gap than your 10 and 20 year old.   

He said in an interview before the show started airing that he was interested in women 60-70.   

45 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

These women are so needy.  What happened to playing a little “hard to get”?  A little challenge.  Teresa is slobbering all over him.  Pathetic.

Women live longer than men.   As they get older, the number of available men drops and competition rises, especially for the ones perceived as quality.   

On the other hand, studies have shown that at younger ages, women are more interested in marriage because of children and security.    In their later years, it is men who want to get married so they have someone to look after them, while women have less desire to look after a baby-man.  

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Gerry had a girlfriend that moved in with him, and he was great previous to living together. And then it was complete controlling behavior once they moved in together.

I find this pretty easy to believe. Every complimentary thing Gerry says about the women relates back to him.  "She looks at me like I'm the greatest guy on earth." keeps coming up, plus how she "connects," with him.

10 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

In their later years, it is men who want to get married so they have someone to look after them, while women have less desire to look after a baby-man.  

Spot on.  My husband was on the other side of the supermarket yesterday and before he joined me I had three  separate old guys chatting me up.  It happens every time I'm shopping by myself, one time my son was with me and he got sick of it and said, "They just want you to cook for them, Mom."  So true.

Because of this show, I took a long look at the fifteen women in my book club last week.  We range from 60 to 80.  None of us has had a face lift (we've been together 20 years, I would know.) Most of them have short hair and while the amount of wrinkles varies, all of us have saggy necks except for those in their early 60's.  About half are either widowed or never married, I don't think a single one is looking for love.  We don't even read  romance books.

• Like 15
  • Love 3

I'm in this age group, so I'm not shaming, as I have friends who try so hard like these women.  Just this week, I was trying to arrange a 60-something birthday lunch for a friend who had an hair appointment, but she said she'll be there for 4 hours.  Cut, color, extensions, blowout.  Yes, she spends 4 hours in the chair each month.  Add the dermatologist (Botox), and plastic surgeon (lipo, etc.), esthetician (for specialty facials and specialty-blended makeup),  and it's literally thousands of dollars each month to try and look youthful at the grocery store.  

And, dare I say it....my friend's near waist-length extensions look ratty.  And she walks like an old woman, despite the skin-tight, sleeveless mini-skirts.  "Not giving up on the heels" gives her this comical, old-woman gait, where she bends forward to keep her balance.

Dana  Carvey as the Church Lady, but with Botox, extensions, sleeveless skintight mini-dresses.

I say, Lean In.  

But the Gerry's of the world won't have it. 

He had the wife who was the fun lady, the life of the party, but who let her age, weight, and looks ride with the times.  Now, he wants Pickleball and sex appeal.

The thing that bothers me most about him is, it's all about what HE wants.  Where have we heard from one woman about what SHE wants, other than to please HIM?

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 14
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Katie111 said:

Leslie at 60 just seems way too young for him. 

I think Leslie is 64 and of the 3 remaining, Faith is the youngest at 61. Theresa is either 69 or 70. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Theresa looks like a Muppet. Her face shape, there's just something muppet-like about her

It's the wide streched out mouth that gives the muppet look. Appears to me that her surgeon stretched her lower face too tight. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I'm really let down by the final three.  I feel like there was a fun, varied group of ladies to start with and this is who we're left with?  I'm not cheering for any of them.

May after the home town dates I'll finally be able to tell the difference between Leslie and Faith.  Maybe Gerry doesn't know either and that's why he had to keep both of them!

Gerry IS a drip with a Kermit voice!  And while we have gotten to know the ladies, we haven't gotten to know much about him.  But maybe the show has been more fun that way to be honest!

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

Teresa has likely had too many procedures too close together,  so  all  of these odd distortions morphed while each one  was healing from the last.

I'm not against plastic surgery. I've had an upper blephoraplasty (eyelid lift).  But the surgeon said to wait at least a year before deciding on another procedure, or you can get the Nancy Pelosi permanent surprised look.

She also wears a wig.  I've been around a lot of Orthodox Jewish women (not sure if she is Jewish, I am, but not my point), so I've seen a lot of wigs.  It's a wig.  You can tell by her unnaturally low hairline and the fact that it doesn't move with the rest of her head.  And after many weeks without a proper hairstylist around (thank goodness for Susan), it's looking like it needs to be properly removed and cared for.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 8
  • Useful 4

This show was a little fun at first, but it has gotten tired fast. Like me, I am nearly 68. 

I sure hope there is NOT a Golden Bachelorette. I don't want to see 25 Gerrys. 

He should shave. Even if it hurts his skin to use a regular razor. My dad had a stroke and could only use an electric shaver and it was fine. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I wouldn’t mind seeing a Bachelorette show.  I want to see how the men would communicate .. if they know how at this age.  What I don’t care for is the making out, especially with tongue.  I turn away.  That’s why I can’t watch the young Bachelor shows.  Too raunchy.  Will these go into the Fantasy Suite?  Yikes.   Don’t like the final three.  He could have done much better.  Some of the women were too quiet and reserved, but i thought they were very nice for him.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

For some reason, I can't quote. I wanted to mention the heels. I really don't wear them anymore (I'm 58) because I just can't. I have plenty of cute flat shoes. But, coming from a Hispanic family, many women will live and die with heels. My cousins still wear them and they are older than I am. My mom was wearing heels in her late 70s. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I only watched early seasons of the Bachelor. I don't remember the fantasy suite. Please elaborate, because my imagination can't fathom what this encompasses. 😱

Me too.  I only remember them giving an invitation to spend a night together in one bed.  I don’t know if that meant sex or what.  Anyone?

9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

For some reason, I can't quote. I wanted to mention the heels. I really don't wear them anymore (I'm 58) because I just can't. I have plenty of cute flat shoes. But, coming from a Hispanic family, many women will live and die with heels. My cousins still wear them and they are older than I am. My mom was wearing heels in her late 70s. 

Joan Rivers wore heels up until she died.  I can’t anymore.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I only watched early seasons of the Bachelor. I don't remember the fantasy suite. Please elaborate, because my imagination can't fathom what this encompasses. 😱

The "fantasy suite" is a place away from the mansion and the regular hotel rooms.  It's usually a beefed-up romanticized suite or Air BnB (although one season the poor couple had an Air Stream.) There are usually candles, champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries...etc. Traditionally, this takes place in a foreign country.

The cameras only film the couple a little while in the suite in the evening, and they come back in the morning. 

In theory, it's the first time the couples get one-on-one time alone without producers or cameras hovering around.  I say "in theory" because some couples have snuck away. 

Couples can do whatever they want.  Some leads have sex with all the finalists.  Some only have sex with their #1.  Some don't have sex and use the time to get down to the real nitty gritty about what their lives will look like after they get out.   Do they move in together?  Do they share the same life goals? 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Is the fantasy suite setup just for the final 2? Will the women are each other to ostensibly brag about their experience?

It varies. I think the show aims for 3 fantasy suites but in the seasons I've watched (not all of them by any means), I've seen there be anything from 1 to 3 of them.  Sometimes a finalist ticks off a lead and they choose not to take the person to the fantasy suite.  Sometimes a finalist self-eliminates at that stage. 

There's usually a day buffer in between each "date" so they don't have them one right after another.

And I am not expert enough to know what the finalists talk about but they're not living together in a mansion any longer when these happen.  I haven't seen them talk about what the other women (or men for the bachelorette) are doing with the lead.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think some of my good will toward Gerry (which is getting damaged because I think his over-the-top   empathy with the women can be misleading and my emerging problem with the whole "hi, we got you a harem" thing) may come from him reminding me of the Grass Roots' Rob Grill, who was great.

rob grill primetimer.JPG

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Will the women are each other to ostensibly brag about their experience?

If Theresa gets to a Fantasy Suite, I believe she'll BRAG whether there was anything to brag about or not.  Gerry had better take heed.  Does he want "someone he can live with" who will be talking, phoning, texting, bragging, bitching to one and all about everything in her new life?

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

Because of knee problems I had to stop wearing heels in my early 50s...and the bad news came to me when I was teetering down a flight of stairs with two carafes of water (for coffee).  Our 1st-floor bathroom was closed AND our elevators weren't working.  It's the last time I wore heels.  I'm 83 and my best friend (also 83 and vain) wears them all the...--WORE them all the time.  She's 8wks post-knee replacement and still having difficulty.  I'll be waiting and watching.

• Like 8
  • Wink 1
2 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I sure hope there is NOT a Golden Bachelorette. I don't want to see 25 Gerrys. 

Perhaps my sense of humor is too raunchy and too quirky.  I look forward to seeing 25 ATTEMPTS at being half as cute/fit as Gerry.

23 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

This week's episode confirmed for me that I really don't like Gerry.  Maybe because he has just seemed to say the say things week after week. 

Don't they all?  And...when they don't have a good comment, they just lean in and kiss.  They're all programmed by Production...

22 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Not every older guy wants a young girl- he seems like he wants a woman close to his age

I'm  83 now, but when my mother was my age, she had retired and then took another job (20more years) because she had worked all her life and that's what she needed to do.  She was the office manager/accountant at a City senior center.  She said most of the older men wanted women to take care of them ... to invite them "home" for coffee.  She told one guy he'd have to take her out for coffee and maybe dinner before she'd invite him to her home.  She died at 87 of cancer...still working!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

She was the office manager/accountant at a City senior center.  She said most of the older men wanted women to take care of them ... to invite them "home" for coffee

It works both ways!  My buddy was visiting his dad newly at the retirement home after his mom died and in the space of a 2-hr visit, he said 5 ladies had knocked on his dad's door.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
26 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Perhaps my sense of humor is too raunchy and too quirky.  I look forward to seeing 25 ATTEMPTS at being half as cute/fit as Gerry.

Don't they all?  And...when they don't have a good comment, they just lean in and kiss.  They're all programmed by Production...

I'm  83 now, but when my mother was my age, she had retired and then took another job (20more years) because she had worked all her life and that's what she needed to do.  She was the office manager/accountant at a City senior center.  She said most of the older men wanted women to take care of them ... to invite them "home" for coffee.  She told one guy he'd have to take her out for coffee and maybe dinner before she'd invite him to her home.  She died at 87 of cancer...still working!

Your Mother sounded amazing.  My Mother worked her whole life also.  She always told us work never killed anyone, but aggravation would.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1