Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Sandra's daughter did not mind her missing the wedding.

She said she got her man and time for her Mom to get hers.

During the facetime it looked like the couple were in normal clothes and nothing special was going on like dresses, tuxes, makeup etc.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

I loved it when April faked the injury! She was whimpering and told the women to continue what they were doing, and she almost started to laugh as she rested her head on Gerry's shoulder.  Also, did anyone notice that the hot tub scene with Gerry and Leslie was in soft focus whereas the hot tub scenes in the standard Bachelor are in ultra-HD? I wanted to see what Gerry was working with and all I got was a kind of blurry hot tub scene 😄.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 14
43 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I wanted to see what Gerry was working with and all I got was a kind of blurry hot tub scene

Does he need a little blue pill? Is he good in the sack? These are the important questions. 😆

Gerry is grossing me out kissing all these women (yes I know it's common on the Bachelor shows). I don't know if he is the knight in shining armor they want to make him out to be, but I do think he is soft hearted in that he kisses some of them to make them feel better.

The long kissing make out sessions like with Leslie are cringey to me, I think of my dad doing that on tv and I would die of embarrassment. But I do realize it goes to show that at any age you still have the need to be loved and desired.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

Never Have I Ever with ice cream is genius! These are my kind of gals. 

I really liked Nancy. If there's a Golden Bachelorette, she gets my vote. 

Who's the one that's been divorced 3 times? That's a red flag. 

• Like 5

I hope all the women who get sent home find some nice local men to date, they look great for their age when given a chance.  One reason some of them seem to be looking older is the show is asking them to show a lot more skin than most women that age are used to doing.  Sleeveless gowns?  Shorts and little tennis dresses?  I'm used to seeing women that age out for the evening in black silk pants topped with pretty brocade jackets and soft scarves around their necks.

It really isn't fair because Gerry can hide a world of faults in his suits.  I noticed on the three wheeler thing that he had a good bit of soft bulging around the waist, so he's not perfect either.

Did anyone notice Theresa interrupting  Trista while she was trying to do her set introduction to the group date?  Theresa actually lunged forward and put her hands on Trista to stop her talking so she could tell all about her one-on-one date with Gerry. What a strange little woman she is.

• Like 18
  • Applause 6
9 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Sandra's daughter did not mind her missing the wedding.

She said she got her man and time for her Mom to get hers.

During the facetime it looked like the couple were in normal clothes and nothing special was going on like dresses, tuxes, makeup etc.

The FaceTime was 2 days before the wedding.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm 66 and don't see Gerry as someone I'd look to date.  He's only 6 years older than I am, but "reads" old to me. 

Then again, Mr. Outlier is 10 years younger than I am, so it could be argued I like me a younger man.  However, before him, I had long-term relationships with guys who were 10, 9, and 8 years older than I am.  And still I think of Gerry as being too old for me.

My ex was 2 years younger than be and my now husband is 4 years younger. lol!

I had a feeling watching Leslie that life hasn't always been super kind to her. She comes off as the party girl. There is something in the way she speaks that people see her a certain way and she wants to be so much more. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

GREAT POINT, BooBoo.  And how are WE to know that wedding was her first...or even the second?

When he mentioned his late wive's very outgoing personality, I looked for photos.  Seeing Susan and noticing her personality, I thought he might pick her.

I also thought his wife might have been not just outgoing but she might not have been the type sitting in a rocking chair watching TV. They might have hit clubs, gone dancing, hiking etc...... we don't know her real personality. Maybe she was more of a Leslie? 

• Like 3

Before the show ever aired, I saw Gerry on a morning show, being interviewed by I don't recall who. They asked "did you find true love?" and he said "You can tell by the smile on my face!" So I would assume he did choose someone. 

This isn't a spoiler because it was on TV already for anyone to see. No hints on who it was. I suppose he was saying yes, he did find love. 

Who knows if it will last, even as long as ATFR. Or a year from now. Old people are just like the young in this. 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Did anyone notice Theresa interrupting  Trista while she was trying to do her set introduction to the group date?  Theresa actually lunged forward and put her hands on Trista to stop her talking so she could tell all about her one-on-one date with Gerry. What a strange little woman she is.

Strange from Day One...cringeworthy with a messy slash of red lipstick.  What would his life be with HER...unless he's the type of guy who wants perpetual adoration?    

• Like 12

I just realized Leslie and Faith look a lot alike. 

Nancy and Sandra are baddies (meaning, they are gorgeous and look fantastic at their age. I hope I am half as lucky!). And I loved their team name "Bitchin' Kitchen".

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 10/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I've read a spoiler about the final two, but yeah, I don't know if it's legit.  If you google 'who are the final two on the golden bachelor,' it'll come up.  It's someone named Reality Steve who says it.

If Reality Steve says it, it’s 95% likely to be true.  He’s been spoiling these shows for years and almost always gets it right.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I was watching it the next day and actually noped out of the recording for awhile because I was cringing so hard at this exact moment. Theresa is so DESPERATE and off putting. I am really concerned for her mental health when Gerry is freed from the producers’ mandates and does not give her a rose. 

• Like 11
31 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

If Reality Steve says it, it’s 95% likely to be true.  He’s been spoiling these shows for years and almost always gets it right.

Well, geez, I'm sorry to hear that since I dislike one of his alleged final two and the other one is just OK to me.  

• Like 1
On 10/13/2023 at 5:35 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

Teresa seems pretty dim, but I don't think she's malicious.  

I dunno, I don't buy her innocent and wide-eyed act. I'm practically praying that she's not the winner (I'm rooting for Leslie at the moment, I also like Susan as she doesn't seem to be tryyyying as much as some of the others. I've only watched two episodes so I'm not as familiar with everyone.) 

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

the type of guy who wants perpetual adoration?    

I kind of think he might be and it's why I'm picking Ellen to win. ( I haven't read any spoilers and just seeing Reality Steve's name makes me skip over posts.)  When Ellen told him she was falling in love with him, I thought she sounded sincere and Gerry seemed deeply moved by it.

• Like 2
On 10/19/2023 at 11:16 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Theresa received the final rose as a warning. Gerry sees the disingenuousness, thanks to Kathy. 

He must really like her. It seemed to me to be the perfect opportunity to get rid of both and I wonder if she will come to the same conclusion and then milk that for all it's worth.

• Like 2

Leslie seems to have a lot of youthful energy and Gerry seems to appreciate that. Of course she is younger than the other ladies. I like Sandra although she shouldn’t be eating something that makes her sick. I’m glad this show is on and that so far it isn’t leaning too much on cliches ( I’ll take it back if they start playing bingo and go to early bird dinners).

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Leslie seems to have a lot of youthful energy and Gerry seems to appreciate that. Of course she is younger than the other ladies. I like Sandra although she shouldn’t be eating something that makes her sick. I’m glad this show is on and that so far it isn’t leaning too much on cliches ( I’ll take it back if they start playing bingo and go to early bird dinners).

yeah, they should have given her something else to eat instead of something guaranteed to make her sick

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, cinsays said:

yeah, they should have given her something else to eat instead of something guaranteed to make her sick

You'd think production had a list of food allergies, intolerances, etc. Sondra could have been given dairy free ice cream. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Strange from Day One...cringeworthy with a messy slash of red lipstick.  What would his life be with HER...unless he's the type of guy who wants perpetual adoration?    

I just can’t see him with Teresa or Lesley.  Leslie looks like she’s wearing a full wig, and Teresa is too desparate and clingly.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Well, whoever he winds up with, I doubt he would marry.  He probably has a million women wanting to date him after seeing the show.  I still liked Edith for him.  I can’t believe the media didn’t spill the beans about him .. who’s he’s with or if they are still together.  Now he meets the family.  I love that part.  I just hope there’s no fantasy suite.  Barf, lol.  That would be too much.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, JenE4 said:

The FaceTime was 2 days before the wedding.

Didn't they say during the Face Time that they did it?--Getting married that is.  Not the other "it."

I don't care that Sandra is missing her daughter's wedding, especially since her daughter is so clearly rooting for her mother to be on TV.  I think it's interesting because I read so many reaction articles/takes that Joan's daughter, who is in a really vulnerable spot, should have let her mother have something for herself. Yet Sandra's daughter, clearly not vulnerable, did exactly that this week, and yet the narrative is that Sandra is a bad mother. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
On 10/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, suzeecat said:

Now, they've had at least a couple weeks of living in a group setting, away from their normal routines and, if it were ME, they are probably not getting a lot of sleep. 

I'm 71, and I recently had my 19 yo grandson move in with my husband and me.  Everything is OK...except he is screwing up my morning bathroom routine by taking so much time in there!

So imagine a house of older women having to share a couple of bathrooms...couldn't be me...how do they all do it? 😆 

it used to drive me nuts when my mother got older and talked so much about constipation...I totally get it now. (TMI?🤣)

Anyway, to bring it back to the show, maybe that's why Joan left..she wanted her own bathroom again 😉 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm 71, and I recently had my 19 yo grandson move in with my husband and me.  Everything is OK...except he is screwing up my morning bathroom routine by taking so much time in there!

So imagine a house of older women having to share a couple of bathrooms...couldn't be me...how do they all do it? 😆 

it used to drive me nuts when my mother got older and talked so much about constipation...I totally get it now. (TMI?🤣)

Anyway, to bring it back to the show, maybe that's why Joan left..she wanted her own bathroom again 😉 

Haha .. me too.  Husband and I have my adult divorced Son living with us temporarily.  It’s not easy.  The bathroom situation, etc.  He’s great, but there’s no privacy anymore, and we are in the constipation situation now too, lol.  Also, I’m cooking more now and don’t like it.  This is our Golden years?  Not what I planned.  This age sucks.  Thank goodness I have my husband who runs back n forth to CVS for our meds.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, cinsays said:

16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You'd think production had a list of food allergies, intolerances, etc. Sondra could have been given dairy free ice cream. 

Sandra is 75 years old.  She revels in having a filthy mouth (and even used it in her out-of-the-limo introduction to her intended mate), misses her daughter's wedding to be on a TV show, but can't say, "I'm not going to eat something that I know will make me sick"? 

I lost a lot of respect for her--we expect children to "just say no," after all.

Then again, she got a bedside visit from Gerry, and apparently got a rose without having to endure a rose ceremony.  Maybe she calculated that some intestinal distress was worth it, in which case I'm changing my vote to, "Well played, Sandra."

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 8
On 10/21/2023 at 3:17 AM, JudyObscure said:

Sleeveless gowns?  Shorts and little tennis dresses?  I'm used to seeing women that age out for the evening in black silk pants topped with pretty brocade jackets and soft scarves around their necks.

That just illustrates how differently people age.  I'm in the middle of this age group and the last thing I would put on my body is a brocade jacket and soft scarf around my neck.  I see that as an outfit for older women, similar to how I see Gerry as someone who's too old for me even though there's only a six-year age difference.

I will say that I thought Trista's tennis outfit was adorable.  And I'll note that she's about to turn 51--only 9 years below the cut-off age to join this Golden Bachelor harem, in which almost 1/3 of the women (7 of 22) are 60; they're all closer in age to Trista than they are to Gerry.  

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 5

As someone who has experienced postpartum depression and who happens to be on marriage #3 (!), I'll tell you that I wanted my mom around for both my postpartum situation and my 3rd wedding. But I'd say in particular, my mom was a godsend during my baby blues. Your mom will do anything to help you out, and I was totally comfortable asking her for a help in a way that I could not at all ask of my former MIL. But everyone is different and relationships between adult kids and their parents differ, so I try not to be too hard on other's decisions that might not align with mine.

That being said, if my mom or dad wanted to go on The Golden Bachelor, I might have to do an intervention! 

So far I like Gerry and most of the women a lot more than I expected. It's refreshing to not have a bunch of contestants who clearly just want to be on BIP or Dancing With the Stars or increase their number of social media followers. If I never again have to hear "Let's do the damn thing" or "He needs to show up for me" or "She's not here for the right reasons" etc., etc., etc., I'll die a happy woman. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
On 10/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge Joan’s daughter. I’m not sure what heiffa is but from context I guess it’s not flattering. For all we know, she may not have even known at this point what Joan was doing, or if she did, she was just giving her mom an update and mom made her choice. I have no reason to think she said, mom, you have to leave this once in a lifetime opportunity to come help me because I can’t stand up and take care of my baby. 

I could never have left my daughter if she had just had a baby. My daughter had no complications but she still wanted me there everyday for a while.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if Gerry does pick someone, does he expect them to move to Indiana?  I lived in Indiana back in the mid 70s and for POC, it wasn't particularly welcoming.  I can't see Sandra relocating for that reason alone.

Kathy was worrisome and somewhat insecure.  Theresa may or may not have known what she was doing, but she knew that it would be disruptive when she "tattled" to Gerry.  I hope she gets sent home.

Now about the woman who confessed her love for Gerry, she's a braver soul than me!  I would be embarrassed if he chose somebody else after that revelation.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Blintzie said:

If I never again have to hear "Let's do the damn thing" or "He needs to show up for me" or "She's not here for the right reasons" etc., etc., etc., I'll die a happy woman. 

I haven’t heard “Gerry and I’s relationship” either, thank goodness!

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 12
4 hours ago, MsVixen said:

I'm wondering if Gerry does pick someone, does he expect them to move to Indiana?  I lived in Indiana back in the mid 70s and for POC, it wasn't particularly welcoming.  I can't see Sandra relocating for that reason alone.

What is 'POC'  ?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Blintzie said:

If I never again have to hear "Let's do the damn thing" or "He needs to show up for me" or "She's not here for the right reasons" etc., etc., etc., I'll die a happy woman. 

I laughed out loud at "He needs to show up for me" 🤣. Let's add "I feel seen" or "Hey girly, can I talk to you for like a sec?" or "I found my person" or "I'm literally falling in love with you" 😅

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9
51 minutes ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I laughed out loud at "He needs to show up for me" 🤣. Let's add "I feel seen" or "Hey girly, can I talk to you for like a sec?" or "I found my person" or "I'm literally falling in love with you" 😅

Yes! OMG, I can’t believe I forgot that perennial favorite: “I found my person.” Is that something the kids say when they’re not certain that they’ve found their soulmate??

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Blintzie said:

Yes! OMG, I can’t believe I forgot that perennial favorite: “I found my person.” Is that something the kids say when they’re not certain that they’ve found their soulmate??

Yes indeed, it's what the Bachelor/Bachelorette kids say when they're trying to convince themselves that they have found their soulmate 😄- but then they go on BIP and its a flirty free for all and "the person" is yesterday's news to them 😅.. 

• Like 7

We have all seen Bachelor/ettes whose final pick doesn't work out, who seek out people they didn't give a rose to, and start up afterwards again. 

If Gerry's final 3 all bomb out, he could call Joan and see how she feels. It's like that song from The Goodbye Girl, "goodbye, doesn't mean forever. Goodbye doesn't mean we'll never be together again."

• Like 3

The one who declared her love for Gerry comes off as desperate. I kind of feel sorry for her.

I'd have to re-watch, but it seemed too like she was initiating more of the kissing than he was.

There have been some Bachelor seasons where a finalist was sent home for not being upfront enough with their feelings. Like, Arie picked Becca because her feelings were never in doubt; Lauren was more reserved and more of a risk. Ellen probably wanted there to be no doubt in Gerry's mind as to how she felt. Putting yourself out there can give you the edge if the Bachelor/ette is already leaning towards you (like Ryan in Trista's season). But I think Gerry and Ellen have a friends vibe and her declaration probably = limo ride next week.

Is it me or does Teresa have an odd hairline? I can't tell if that's a wig or something else. Maybe it's just that the center part isn't flattering.

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, archer1267 said:

I'd have to re-watch, but it seemed too like she was initiating more of the kissing than he was.

There have been some Bachelor seasons where a finalist was sent home for not being upfront enough with their feelings. Like, Arie picked Becca because her feelings were never in doubt; Lauren was more reserved and more of a risk. Ellen probably wanted there to be no doubt in Gerry's mind as to how she felt. Putting yourself out there can give you the edge if the Bachelor/ette is already leaning towards you (like Ryan in Trista's season). But I think Gerry and Ellen have a friends vibe and her declaration probably = limo ride next week.

Is it me or does Teresa have an odd hairline? I can't tell if that's a wig or something else. Maybe it's just that the center part isn't flattering.

I think she has a low hairline. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

I haven't been watching the last few weeks, but on this version is there a lot of talk about "our journey"?

I haven't noticed it.  With the youths on the regular show, what are they talking about when they mention their journey?  If it's their time on the show, I think this version has an abbreviated timeline, so maybe they haven't had enough time to build a journey.  If it refers to their future, maybe these people realize they don't have enough time left for a journey.

I'm going to start paying more attention to the way they talk.  I don't recall hearing like like like like, for example.  Could it possibly be that people enjoy watching this version not necessarily because of the people but because listening to them talk isn't annoying? 

I've been known to quit listening to something I'm really interested in if the speaker has an annoying speech tic.  Maybe it's just refreshing to watch a reality TV show populated by people who don't butcher the English language.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

With the youths on the regular show, what are they talking about when they mention their journey?  If it's their time on the show, I think this version has an abbreviated timeline, so maybe they haven't had enough time to build a journey.

I think that might be it

• Like 2
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I've been known to quit listening to something I'm really interested in if the speaker has an annoying speech tic. 

Same here.  My personal peeve is newscasters and reporters who say “y’know” every five seconds!  It totally distracts me from what they’re saying.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:32 AM, GeorgiaRai said:

Susan got a rose. 

I'll take "Things I Did Not See Coming" for $400, Alex.

Neither did she!  The look on her face seemed like genuine surprise.

On 10/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

For me there are plenty of guys over 70 who stayed schmexy. Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, Leonard Cohen, Sam Elliott, Jeff Bridges, Jeff Goldblum, Jeremy Irons, to name a few. Three of them are now gone, but that will happen. 

Everyone says Sean Connery but I never liked him because of his statements on hitting women to keep them in line. 

My all-time tops for over 70 are Mark Harmon, Jack Hanna (the animal handler from David Letterman), General Wesley Clark. and former Philadelphia Eagles coach Dick Vermeil. And I'll begrudgingly add Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, even though I hate him for how he left star player Reggie Bush holding the bag (but not the Heisman Trophy, since they stripped it from him) for accepting money when Carroll was the USC football coach.

On 10/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Then again, she got a bedside visit from Gerry, and apparently got a rose without having to endure a rose ceremony.  Maybe she calculated that some intestinal distress was worth it, in which case I'm changing my vote to, "Well played, Sandra."

Just clarifying...her getting a rose wasn't related to her being sick; she had already gotten a rose on the group date when he felt bad that she missed her daughter's wedding.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:05 PM, maggiemae said:

On 10/21/2023 at 9:19 PM, Irlandesa said:

Didn't they say during the Face Time that they did it?--Getting married that is.  Not the other "it."

Yes, they did say during the FaceTime that they did it, so the wedding had already occurred. But I don't think there's any reason to assume that the call she made to her daughter was actually at the wedding, so I don't think we can read anything in to where they were or what they were wearing during the call, in terms of interpreting how fancy a wedding it was or wasn't.

• Like 4