Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Below Decked Out

• Start Topic

Fan favorites from the cast of "Below Deck" walk the runway in the infamous Real Client Challenge; Real Housewife Luann de Lesseps and former Below Decker Kate Chastain guest judge to help the panel decide who will sink or swim.

Original air date 2023.08.03

I don’t watch Below Deck. Did they say all the designs had to be black? If they did I missed that. Kinda boring. 
I love Luann but she thought the short, low cut outfit by Korto was functional? No, Luann, no. But of course the judges liked it. 
I’m glad Bishme won, his design was the most professional look, loved the jacket.

Any of the bottom three could have gone home, I guess it was Anna’s time. 

• Like 23

Bishme was the most practical and deserved the win, but Brittany can sew like a mother.

I've watched a few episodes of Below Deck, but felt it was just too 'young' for me. I peaced-out on Captain Sandy when she shamed someone who had a legitimate anxiety disorder with prescribed meds. Coincidentally, I thought is was the worst outfit.

Anna, thank goodness I never have to see your grandma's lampshade hat in your talking heads again.

• Like 18
  • LOL 2
23 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

I don’t watch Below Deck. Did they say all the designs had to be black? If they did I missed that. Kinda boring. 
I love Luann but she thought the short, low cut outfit by Korto was functional? No, Luann, no. But of course the judges liked it. 
I’m glad Bishme won, his design was the most professional look, loved the jacket.

Any of the bottom three could have gone home, I guess it was Anna’s time. 

In the beginning, when they introduced the "real life" clients, Captain Lee (from Below Deck) gave the challenge criteria, stating that the color choices were only black and white, as that is the norm for formal/informal dress yacht uniforms.  The crews do wear a day/work/casual uniform that is often other colors.  

• Like 9
  • Useful 3

I almost didn’t watch  because I knew no-longer-Countess Luann was going to be a judge, but fortunately she didn’t get much air time.

Good episode.  I was happy with the top 3.  Loving Britney’s creative top-stitching.

Laurence is on my last nerve.  Agree that her attitude is so rude at judging.  Did you see the look Nina gave when Laurence said something like “yeah well this is what I did.”  😳😳🤯🤯

• Like 16
  • Fire 1

Neoprene, to be worn on a cruise ship?

I like Bishme, but honestly that sounds awful!

48 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I was ready for Anna to go but I don’t know that she had the worst look.  Kara Saun and Prajje were pretty bad.  

Absolutely!

• Like 15

I totally agreed with Anna's elimination, just because she's been skating by the last few weeks and she's annoying AF, but I would have been fine with any of the bottom three going home.

Anna's was what she wanted, and Captain Jason seemed to be in agreement, but as Nina said, it just wasn't "captain-y" enough (not in those words).  Silk on a boat?  With sea spray and sitting and standing, that would become a hot mess, between the water spots and the never-going away wrinkles and creases.  Plus, I'm not a big fan of jumpsuits on men - they do look like coveralls, imo.  It wasn't a bad garment, but it wasn't a good one, either.

Prajje's was overdone.  Captain Sandy looked dumpy and the peplum accentuated so many things that didn't need to be accentuated.  A fitted blazer, maybe using that print on the lapels, or as an interesting detail on the back or sleeves would have worked much better, imo.  Well fitting narrow leg pants would have elongated her (I never realized that Sandy wasn't that tall).  The pants she wore didn't seem like they were fitted to her correctly, but at least Prajje got her out of those damn white capri pants that she wears ALL the time.  I know he's not a blingy style designer, but he could have had some fun with some subtle crystal detailing on the jacket, or down the side seams of the pants. 

And, again, KaraSaun created another costume.  And, of course, the costume had another story to explain it.  Enough already with the stories excusing away overwrought costume-y outfits.  I've said it before-if the garment can't tell it's own story, then the garment isn't right.  Mzi looked like he was uncomfortable - it was too small for him, especially for the type of work a deckhand does.  They often have to pull and tie up heavy lines, bending from the waist and knees.  One or two bends from the knees, and those pants would be splitting in the rear.  The jacket seemed essentially useless, unless there was some type of costume party event on board.  

As for the top three - I'm glad that Bishme won - his outfit was cute, professional and Aesha looked great in it.  Of all the "clients" she had the most modelish body, being long and lean and having those long legs, so that may have helped put his outfit on the top.  Everything about it was great, though.  The shirt was fantastic - loved the invisible zipper - so much neater looking than a traditional button placket.  Not sure about neoprene, though - wouldn't that get hot?  I thought that neoprene doesn't really breathe much.  

I absolutely adored Rami's - it was fun, flirty and work appropriate for a female deckhand/stew.  It was beautifully tailored and the jacket was beautiful.  So glad that Christian saved Rami last week - it gave him that confidence boost he needed.

Brittany's was okay.  Colin looked great in it, but it still just looked like fancy coveralls to me.  I liked the topstitching details and the extra pockets, but that was it.  Again, another very well tailored garment, though, and it's a good thing that Christian recommended adding a collar, because without the collar, I think Brittany may have been in the bottom.

The safe outfits were not that great to me.  I thought Korto's romper for Daisy was far too short although the top was pretty, the whole thing did not seem practical for a chief stew who is preparing cocktails, serving meals and clearing dishes (that is what they are usually doing in their formal black dress uniforms).  

Laurance's outfit for Gary was, as mentioned above, just enough to keep her safe - it was nothing special, and I would have dinged her for the leather jacket, as she said that the jacket was for "going out off the ship", so it really wasn't in keeping with the challenge.  The jacket was the best part - otherwise, it was just another guy's jumpsuit - nothing special.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Like 18
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

The designers and judges do know don't they that you can buy "sauna suits" made out of neoprene where the object is to make you sweat?

Brittany's model looked like the forgotten member of the Village People who got left behind in the 70s to dance with Kara Saun's disco queen.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 6
  • LOL 14

I was so excited about this crossover between Project Runway and Below Deck.  When I heard the challenge, I knew there would be some doozies, but I was pleasantly surprised by the top three.  I was hoping Bishme's would win, although many of you are bringing up a good point about neoprene being hot to work in.  I just loved how modern it looked, especially the blouse, where the neoprene had these beautiful curves.  

I was shocked that Korto's design received so much praise.  I did not care for it at all.  Maybe if the shorts had been longer and the jacket had sleeves???  Laurence's design was very simple, especially if you eliminate the jacket, which was meant for going out. I've always been a Laurence defender, but her attitude continues.  She is too cool for school, sometimes.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I was really shocked that Prajje or Kara Saun were not sent home.  But my prayers were answered and Anna is gone gone gone!!!  That guy with the long hair was really captivated with her though, so at least she left with a boost to her ego.  I'm not sure how her husband will react seeing this episode.  "Luuuuuucy!  You have some splaining to do!!!" 

I'm also glad for Bishme.  His look was superb and you could tell his client was beyond happy in it.  I also thought Brittany's turned out better than I thought it would.  In the beginning I thought they were editing her for the boot but she ended up pulling it off. 

I didn't really like Rami's because I can't stand pleated skirts.  My mom made me wear them when I was little and with my short chubby self they always made me look fat!  

Did I mention I'm glad Anna is gone?  😁

• Like 14
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Oh God, Sandy's look is mother-of-the-bride (if they were allowed to wear black).

I dont think Daisy's was very flattering (and she didn't look thrilled with it).

Mze's was ridiculous. Looks like it belongs on a motorcycle.

Jason's kimonao looked like what a fancy captain would wear to bed in case he needed to deal with an emergency in his PJs

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I've been on a bit of a hiatus, but that was some kind of serious horseshit judging.  

I want Brandon to imagine what Michael Kors would have said about Kara Saun's look and then give yourself the penance of no hipster thick glasses for six months.  You all fail.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 12
41 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Bishme's client even said she wanted it to breathe.

I don't get Nina saying neoprene, how fantastic! Since when is neoprene a breathable fabric?

Neoprene is not breathable, that was absurd to claim it was.  

I'm glad Anna is gone, I think they only kept her around for drama.    

• Like 10

Also, it was nice for it to continue to be confirmed that the judges do not now - nor have ever - given one single shit about what the real person in the real person challenge wants if they actually like the look.  If the customer HATES it, they're all in, if they love it, it's generally a fuck off.

• Like 9

I get not liking Anna's look.  Personally I did like if, even if she fucked up the sleeves, but I see why people wouldn't.

BUT

The repetitive and nearly obsessive judge's commentary about lack of authority and implied lack of masculinity in the outfit was hella stupid and kind of gross.

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 23
8 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Prajje's was overdone.  Captain Sandy looked dumpy and the peplum accentuated so many things that didn't need to be accentuated

You know, I agreed it was lame, I but really didn't think she looked dumpy in it at all.  Now DAISY looked dumpy, for reals, and that was AFTER the designer said she had a great body to show off.

9 hours ago, njbchlover said:

don't understand why Laurance is even on the show.  I've felt this from the start - it's like she just thinks this is all sooo beneath her and her designs.  She has a very high opinion of herself, and it's not always justified.

It's funny, I know it's hard to parse out but I honestly think this is mostly just her mannerisms rather than a sense of superiority.  In other words I don't think she actually thinks she's that much better than everyone else and above this, but she has personality ticks and tone that makes it seems so?  I mean, maybe I'm totally wrong, but I feel like if she thought this we'd hear more of it out of her actual words rather than expression and tone.

9 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Plus, working near water the silk would soon be ruined. It just did not read elevated captain’s uniform. 

I get this, but there was a lot of vagueness in the directions IMO.  Dress uniforms, deck uniforms, work uniforms?  And the captain doesn't actually do a lot of the WORK work near the water anyhow.  How often does Captain Lee or Jason or Sandy actually get wet on the show?

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
37 minutes ago, dleighg said:

does Captain Jason live in the Philippines (that's what he said) or Bali (isn't that what Anna said?). Oh, somewhere in the Pacific....

I think he told Anna he sails with the clients to Bali.  The Philippines sounds like his home base.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Yes, I'm getting tired of Laurance's attitude. She is not good enough to be so disdainful toward the judges.

She's clearly there just to push her "leather" brand. She understands she probably won't win.

I don't think she actually thinks she's that much better than everyone else and above this, but she has personality ticks and tone that makes it seems so? 

I think she feels great contempt for the asinine judges. And the tackiness of it all.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 7
  • Useful 3
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Anna’s design was in fact fit for a captain as you could envision it on Captain Kirk as he wears it on a mission to the vaguely Asian planet of hot aliens who are irresistibly attracted to human chest hair. 

🤣🤣🤣

Well, that would have been perfectly clear if Kara Saun had made that outfit, because she would have told us the "story" of her garment!!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
10 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

I think this should have been a triple elimination, but at least Kara Saun isn’t getting a free pass

It was clear from the brief that these were supposed to be WORKING UNIFORMS, not UNIFORMS THAT YOU WEAR WHEN THE GENERAL THROWS A BANQUET (which doesn't happen in yachtie "military" life). What a load of BS.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 3

I think Laurence says some of the things many of us are thinking (but only in relation to herself).  However, that doesn't bode well in a competition that these people are judging!  I mean, how far would we go if we said everything we're privately thinking to our bosses?

It appeared to me that Anna was not into what that dude was trying to get going with her at the drinking party. Also funny how forlorn he looked the next day, like he expected her to be delighted to see him.  And let's face it, the producers were fervently hoping there'd be hookups.  It would have meant DRAMA!!

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

Jumpsuits, Jumpsuits, Jumpsuits.

I watch the Below Deck shows. These people are run ragged and barely have 2 minutes to go to the bathroom. Jumpsuits are NOT bathroom friendly.

I also thought that, unless the men's jumpsuits were loose in the crotch area and longer from waist to crotch, the guys would be giving themsleves constant wedgies when reaching over their heads or reaching to lift provisions and luggage.  Really not practical at all.

• Like 14
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

does Captain Jason live in the Philippines (that's what he said) or Bali (isn't that what Anna said?). Oh, somewhere in the Pacific....

WHY do you want to know?  😉

Jason seemed to bring up the Asian influenced kimono, so I really can't blame Anna for this one, though she could have tried to elevate it more and use a different fabric.  However, Jason could make a gunny sack look good.  🔥

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

For once, the top 3 looks were my top 3 too. I thought Rami's outfit was more functional as a uniform that would fit women of different sizes but I thought Bishme's was very cute and fit his client perfectly. I didn't care for Korto's look as it was too short to be functional IMO and Laurence's just didn't seem appropriate or functional. Kara Saun's was ridiculous and I agree with those who said it looked like a Michael Jackson outfit LOL, however I was ready for Anna to go home. Her behavior at the bar was sketch for a married woman but it was funny watching Gary hit on her. 

Below Deck is the one reality show that my husband has watched that I haven't (he watches it at the gym) and after seeing this episode of PR, I'm thinking I'm going to have to start watching it! 

• Like 15
52 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

It appeared to me that Anna was not into what that dude was trying to get going with her at the drinking party. Also funny how forlorn he looked the next day, like he expected her to be delighted to see him.  And let's face it, the producers were fervently hoping there'd be hookups.  It would have meant DRAMA!!

Anna was just letting her hair down and doing shots.  Gary, on the other hand, was overtly flirting with her.  This is standard Gary, as seen on Below Deck Sailing Yacht.  I'm so glad she paid him dust the next day.  

• Like 14
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

Her behavior at the bar was sketch for a married woman but it was funny watching Gary hit on her. 

That was probably scripted, as much of Gary's behavior on BD is also scripted. He's being promoted as a Lothario in order to create drama on BD. Anna went along with it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Anna’s design was in fact fit for a captain as you could envision it on Captain Kirk as he wears it on a mission to the vaguely Asian planet of hot aliens who are irresistibly attracted to human chest hair. 

I knew it reminded me of something. It looked like one of those early sci-fi outfits a character in a show would wear while off-duty and lounging in their personal quarters. For the purpose of this show it was absolutely ridiculous...but I am hard-pressed to decide if it was worse than that lampshade Anna had on her head. Aren't we all relieved to know that she intends to make "fashion" her main purpose in life?

Why now all of sudden have the judges decided to call out Kara Saun for designing costumes while that has been ignored most other challenges when it was also true?  Also negativity toward Laurence who has been mostly praised. Are we beginning to see the planting of seeds toward whoever at this point is the intended winner? Whatever, at least the judging seemed more lucid this week.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

Jumpsuits, Jumpsuits, Jumpsuits.

I watch the Below Deck shows. These people are run ragged and barely have 2 minutes to go to the bathroom. Jumpsuits are NOT bathroom friendly.

I've never understood the appeal of jumpsuits or rompers for this very reason.

• Like 11
  • Applause 10
10 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

I've never understood the appeal of jumpsuits or rompers for this very reason.

I think the jumpsuit only worked for the mechanic guy…line that line if work, coveralls are common….. and at least Brittany’s looked nice and fit him.  

• Like 7
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

At one point he said he lives "In the Philippines and also in Asia" -- I know both are Asian, but anyway I believe he was referring to the fact that his co-parent and daughter run a resort in Bali.

The smarter thing would probably have been to have a more structured silhouette, and then do special touches like a kimono collar or belt.

As a BD fan, I was trying to figure out when this was filmed, because Gary, Colin and Daisy have had a lot of drama both in their season and on their reunion, but they were managing to joke around with one another fairly well.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Anna was just letting her hair down and doing shots.  Gary, on the other hand, was overtly flirting with her.  This is standard Gary, as seen on Below Deck Sailing Yacht.  I'm so glad she paid him dust the next day.  

I LOVED seeing Gary sort of hovering around Anna's work station, waiting for an opportunity to speak with her, while she was just ignoring him and doing final fittings on Captain Jason.  

I don't know if it was prompted by production or what, but I was very amused watching Anna silently shutting him down!  🤣

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Boooo.

So other people can use wool, leather and stifling neoprene and incorporate other inappropriate yacht-job features, and get away with it by saying "Oh, it's for after work, when they go out to the bars," but Anna gets sent home because the Jason is dressed too casually to be on duty as the top professional operating the boat.

Capt. Jason looked comfortable and gorgeous and would appear right at home pouring out of that big Hummer limo production hires to haul everyone to dinner.  How is a black leather jacket look different from a black silk kimono look if both men liked their outfits?

Meanwhile, Capt. Sandy--and I'm one of the few who like her--would have been roundly laughed at anywhere she showed up in that ridiculous Halloween kit.

All season, Anna's been the little chicken who gets pecked to death by the others and tonight the judges finished the job.

• Like 15