Type keyword(s) to search

Who Should Replace Padma as Top Chef's Host?

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, WendyM said:

I also remembered Aisha Tyler being on Top Chef many, many seasons ago and Whose Line is it Anyway? is done (where she's been hosting), so she might be a possibility. She's a foodie and she's been a host and she's funny (she's a stand-up comic too).

I forgot she was on this show.  She's a great host (I was so hoping she'd be considered as the new Jeopardy! host after Alex Trebek died).

I just hope they don't stunt cast. Shutterfly had Kris Jenner as their spokesperson around the end of the year holiday season and if the comments people posted on Facebook are any indication, she was roundly rejected by consumers. And I strongly, strongly dislike Andy Cohen. The weird way he tilts his head back and looks down his nose into the camera and his fake appearing overly jolly, loud persona grate on my nerves. 

Kristen Kish comports herself with grace and dignity, IMO. And Carla Hall is just endearing. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I don't envy Top Chef's hunt for a new host.  Padma was really unique and added so much to the show in so many different ways. IMO Project Runway and Dancing with the Stars haven't been successful in replacing Heidi Klum and Tom Bergeron.  Top Chef seems to be the gold standard for competitive reality shows, so hopefully they will select someone who is top notch with a strong appeal of their own.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I was looking at a similar thread on Reddit and I was flabbergasted by the number of people who suggested Christy Teigen.  What?!  If I had to make a list of candidates, she wouldn't even be on it.  I can't imagine.

Padma is going to be a very hard act to follow.  She has all the skills and she's gorgeous.  I'm inclined to think they should choose a male host, at least for a transition season, because any woman is going to be compared to Padma and very possibly come up short.

• Like 10

Padma is revered now, but for the first let’s say half of her tenure I remember her being considered pretty lightweight and inessential on TWoP. A lot of minimizing her foodie credentials, viewing her as eye candy, and saying that Tom’s opinion was the only one that actually mattered. And stoner jokes, but I think that’s still around. Her reputation has increased as time has gone on, I think. 

• Like 11
39 minutes ago, mlp said:

I was looking at a similar thread on Reddit and I was flabbergasted by the number of people who suggested Christy Teigen.  What?!  If I had to make a list of candidates, she wouldn't even be on it.  I can't imagine.

I would sadly abandon Top Chef if Chrissy Teigen was named host.  Wouldn't watch one moment.  Please please no.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
On 6/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Just, please, God......not Guy Fieri.

Would Gordon Ramsey work?

(I kid, I kid.)

Seriously, I can’t imagine TC without Padma. I can’t see any of the former cheftestants filling in because I’m sure most are too busy running their own businesses. Gail has fronted a series before — Top Chef Just Desserts — so she’d be an obvious choice. Regardless, whoever gets the job will have some mighty big shoes to fill.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Her reputation has increased as time has gone on,

Absolutely. I remember those days. All credit to her for perseverance. While she had food interest, It broadened to food and culture and that has enabled the work she's doing outside of TC. As much as I'll miss her here, I look forward to seeing what else she does--beyond Taste the Nation.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Padma is revered now, but for the first let’s say half of her tenure I remember her being considered pretty lightweight and inessential on TWoP. A lot of minimizing her foodie credentials, viewing her as eye candy, and saying that Tom’s opinion was the only one that actually mattered. And stoner jokes, but I think that’s still around. Her reputation has increased as time has gone on, I think. 

It certainly didn’t help that production treated her not just as glamorous in the way she was presented, but as eye candy. I distinctly recall the season they had her emerging from the surf in a bikini in slo-mo, and some of the male contestants prompted to react in talking heads. I think things changed when she became (along with Tom) an executive producer. I imagine that as she’s developed more influence and cred, she has also affected how much attention they’ve paid to varied (i.e. non-European) food cultures, something that has really improved in recent seasons.

• Like 12

I think recreating the journey of Padma would be a mistake.  Ethnic model who grows into the role of food judge?  Replacing her uniqueness would be such a challenge.  I guess it depends on how many seasons they think they have left.  Hiring in the vein of professional host seems better than professional chef to me.  Like a Ted Allen type.  Maybe for a season just do a series of guest hosts to see what vibes on set and on TV and they can get a feel of what matters.  But pass of the pykag to Gail and see if she has the right tone to be doing that as well.

• Like 3

Replacing Padma is impossible and yeah, I don't envy them having to do it.  I just fear that if they don't hit it on the money with her replacement they'll bomb spectacularly like some other shows that have replaced hosts.  

Padma was the "face of the show".  She was often featured in ads with everyone behind her.  No doubt she is one of the toughest acts to follow.  So whoever gets chosen has to be able to appeal to most of the audience as the front person of the show and that's going to be very difficult to accomplish along with all the other qualities they'll need to have.  Some of the choices so far appeal to half the audience but perhaps not the other half.  I don't think most people ever had any issue with Padma.  Unfortunately that person is forever going to be compared with her and so it will have to be someone that can withstand that kind of comparison with most of the audience or they'll risk alienating a segment of the core fans.

That said, I really like the idea of a Ted Allen type in the role.  Too bad he's so entrenched in his role on "Chopped", but who knows?  Maybe they could sway him to make the move anyway....

• Like 4
On 6/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Just, please, God......not Guy Fieri.

I think he's got enough stuff of his own going on so he wouldn't be a contender.

I like him well enough on his own shows but he would be so out of place here.

• Applause 1

I nominate Kelis! She is well known, is a. foodie home chef but would bring a very different and imo welcome vibe from Padma. I don’t need gravitas I am fine with some one little less self serious.

2 hours ago, blixie said:

I nominate Kelis! She is well known

not known to me? Where's has she "appeared"? (I consider myself mostly an "under a rock" type, so not judging)

• Like 1

I really like both Kristen Kish’s and Melissa King’s shows.  So I’d be thrilled with either.

But I’ve always had a huge soft spot for that little ball of intensity, Dale Talde.

• Like 1

not known to me? Where's has she "appeared"?

Her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. She was a popular singer in the aughts, but she is more well known now for a couple of cooking shows on The Cooking Network and most recently on Netflix Cooked with Cannabis. I just really like how she came across on her shows. Wildly she is making mild news today because she's 40 something and dating 72 year old Bill Murray. I would love to know how that happened. LOL.

I mean I think the make Gail host/judge and find a new third judge is better idea, of the former contestants I for sure think Kristen is the most at ease on tv. I read an article that suggested Nadiya Hussain and I LOVE her too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

IMO, a fantastic solution would be to replace Padma with Gail as host/judge, and to add the fabulous Eric Ripert as the other permanent judge (and part time host).  He could "pitch hit" some of the hosting duties (Quick Fires) for Gail.   Eric Ripert has such a wonderful and kind personality as a chef/food "reviewer".  There's an old You Tube video of he & Gail Simmons, where she goes to his house and makes Welsh Rarebit in his kitchen (a dish he'd never had before).  The chemistry works.  He's so good on camera, a food "subject matter expert", and would elevate Top Chef further.    Here's the link to the short vid of Eric & Gail. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

My vote is for Jesse Tyler Ferguson. He’s a foodie and has written a cookbook Food Between Friends with his best friend. He has a new podcast called Dinner’s on Me. He has previous hosting experience on Extreme Makeover Home Edition. Iirc, he has also served as a guest judge on Top Chef. I think he can be both humorous and warm plus he’d be different enough to avoid comparisons with Padma. 

• Like 2

Definitely Gail. She’s put in her time. She knows Tom and would have a good rapport with him. She’s also been on the show long enough to take notes from Padma about how to be a good host and how to talk to the chefs. 
She’s also been in this culinary world and being a judge a long time, she knows what she’s doing. 

• Like 7

I wouldn't mind Chrissy Teigen if they had to go the way of a celebrity foodie. However, I think Gail is the natural replacement and then they could add another judge. If however Gail wanted to remain just a judge, I think a Melissa King, Kristen Kish or Eric Adjepong would be good, as others have already suggested. 

• Like 1
On 6/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rammchick said:

I wonder if it could be a restaurant critic or food blogger?  Someone like Ruth Reichl comes to mind, or possibly Francis Lam.

I've had the same thought bouncing around in my head about a critic or a writer. The big problem is finding somebody who has TV charisma to go with that background. 

If you could find that person hiding somewhere, that would be awesome. I'd assume it'll be easier to find somebody who is already good on TV and happens to be a foodie than a food expert who somehow is great on TV.

Love the Ayesha Tyler suggestion above. 

• Like 1
On 6/3/2023 at 8:57 PM, caitmcg said:

He’s certainly been a fine as a guest judge the multiple times he’s been on (based on the previews for the Season 20 finale, he’s reprising that role), and he is engaging. As an aside, I enjoyed his memoir, Yes Chef.

And I’d love to see the inside of his closet!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 6/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rammchick said:

I wonder if it could be a restaurant critic or food blogger?  Someone like Ruth Reichl comes to mind, or possibly Francis Lam.

When I learned that Padma was leaving, I stared at my steering wheel for a while.  Then, as many of us did, I started thinking about who might take the slot.  Francis was one of three that has stuck in my head.  The other two are Marcus and Gregory.

(edited)
On 6/2/2023 at 9:37 PM, IdEatThat said:

I think it will be very difficult to fill Padma’s shoes. They need someone completely different from her to minimize comparisons.    I’m thinking Karla Hall would be a great choice.  Just don’t let it be Mayim Bialek 😂

Two things I have grown to love about Padma is : 1- she is easy on the eyes and has her fashion sense, 2- she made most chef-testants fear cooking Indian food.

Karla can get a little "too much" silly-squirlly and I don't think she has a food/cuisine view that most will fear cooking. 

Edited by sATL
  • Like 5
(edited)

The 20th year toasting send-off made me have a little nervous thought -  is the show coming back?🤔

It does seem to get better each year, but we can say that about alot of long running shows that came to an end, too (thinking of MASH). Those chefs that were part of season 1, are considered Masters now. Plus the show comes on at all different times of the year, which seems like Bravo (Andy) could be looking for a time slot.

Yes- 20 yrs is a long time. Tom and Gail might have ambitions, too - is padma leaving the start of a panel recasting? I thought Top Chef was Bravo cash cow behind/in-front of real house wives of Atlanta. 

Edited by sATL
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Between Padma leaving, 20 seasons, and this season being a World All Star....how do you top/follow that ? 

I'd hate to see it go, but if this was the last season it went out on a high note. 

• Like 2

They should go in a different direction and absolutely not try to duplicate the situation with Padma.  It would be fair to offer the job to Gail, but I can't see that working in general and specifically there would be nothing but comparisons with Padma and I can't see Gail coming out on top.  I'm not a huge Padma fan but she brought a certain style and distinctive attitude to the show that again, can't be duplicated.  The only hope is to go in a new and fresh direction.

I really dislike the idea of Gail as the host. She's ok as a judge but I don't care for her in general and I don't see her having the qualities of a successful host. There are a lot of food bloggers out there if they want to go that route, none of which I'm familiar with so no specific suggestions. 

• Like 1

My first choice would be Ted Allen.  He has a history with TC, food cred and is an experienced host.  And I like him.  I know he's under contract with FN but all he does is Chopped.  I have no idea if FN and Bravo could work something out.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

My first choice would be Ted Allen.  He has a history with TC, food cred and is an experienced host.  And I like him.  I know he's under contract with FN but all he does is Chopped.  I have no idea if FN and Bravo could work something out.

I thought Ted had a beef with Bravo dating back to the Queer Eye years. 

19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I thought Ted had a beef with Bravo dating back to the Queer Eye years. 

I can't find anything about that.  (Although, of course, it could be something he doesn't say for publication.)  I found a couple of long interviews - from 2015 and 2016 - of him looking back on his career, and he praised Bravo for their support of Queer Eye, and said getting a gig on Food Network was a goal back then; it's why when the show ended, he was thrilled that Bravo - where he was judging on Top Chef - and FN - where he was judging on Iron Chef - didn't care that he was on both networks at the same time.  And then after a couple of years, FN offered him a big contract and that's where he's been ever since.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mlp said:

He's high on my list of favorites (as I wrote in a previous post) but after thinking it over I think he's found his niche on "Chopped" and now has become so synonymous with that role that I wonder if it would be that easy or desirable from either show's point of view to move him into this role.  Still, I would welcome it if it happened.

• Like 5

I don't think this has been posted here yet, apologies, if so. The LA Times had a good interview with Padma recently about her leaving the show and who she thinks should replace her. It's worth reading the whole thing but in case there's a paywall the salient point is here:

"If Bravo recruits the next host from within the “Top Chef” family, who would you recommend?

I don’t want to piss anyone off. [Past contestants] are all like my children. There are a lot of great people, like Melissa King and Kristen Kish, who have other shows. Carla Hall would be fantastic. Either Gregory Gourdet or Kwame Onwuachi could do the job because they are the hottest chefs in the world right now, and we don’t see enough Black men in roles at the forefront of the professional food world, even though Black men and women have been making most of the food in this country historically. Kwame is charismatic and funny; Gregory is thoughtful and has a lot of empathy.

And I think Gail could be great too. We have grown up together on this show, and she certainly knows how to handle all the complexities that sit between us [at Judges’ Table]. Maybe the solution is to have Gail take my chair, and then you could have a permanent position that only alumni get to take."

Interview is here.

• Like 6
  • Useful 5

You guys, Pat Sajak is available!!!

I have nothing to add to the pros and cons of Gail vs. alums vs. name chefs, I think people have hit all the salient points. The detail I keep wondering about is: Should the new host keep PYKAG, or should that remain Padma's phrase? On the one hand, the new host needs to stake out their own identity, but on the other, it's not specific to Padma in the way "Auf Wiedersehen" was to Heidi Klum, plus there's something to be said for continuity. So IDK. 

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I’m fairly sure it has been used since the first season, when Katy Lee was host. 

I can’t really remember but I think Megan Trainor said it too in Top Chef Family style. 

Ah, okay. I didn't start watching until Season 3. Plus I thought I read somewhere along the way that the phrase was Padma's addition, but evidently not. 

As long as it's not Seacrest, Julie Chen, or that Jeopardy producer...

On 6/9/2023 at 10:37 AM, JTMacc99 said:
On 6/7/2023 at 3:36 PM, Rammchick said:

I've had the same thought bouncing around in my head about a critic or a writer. The big problem is finding somebody who has TV charisma to go with that background. 

If you could find that person hiding somewhere, that would be awesome. I'd assume it'll be easier to find somebody who is already good on TV and happens to be a foodie than a food expert who somehow is great on TV.

Love the Ayesha Tyler suggestion above

Previously I mentioned Kristen Kish, who has charisma to spare.  In reaction to the @JTMacc99 and @Rammchickcomments above:  So, y'all know I like the Pack Your Knives podcast, hosted by two NBA journalists, Tom Haberstroh and Kevin Arnovitz.  I finally got around to listening to their post-finale podcast.  (Sara and Buddha were guests on that one.  Sara withstood a lot of interrogation about the liver situation, and it was more complicated than I think anyone knew.  She was foiled a couple of times on ingredients and referred to the liver as "Plan G.")  Anyhoo - Tom and Kevin backed their friend and once-a-season podcast guest, Mina Kimes.  She is a prominent ESPN NFL analyst and on-camera and print reporter.  She used to be a business journalist.  She is also an avid foodie.  I listened to her episodes this season and last and she had a pretty archival memory of the show and had mastered the stats too.  What Tom also said about her is she has a joyful personality.  Born in Omaha, father a Captain in the Air Force, mother of Korean descent.  I was really into this suggestion - going in a different direction with TV, foodie, and reporting skills.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Daisychain said:

Previously I mentioned Kristen Kish, who has charisma to spare.  In reaction to the @JTMacc99 and @Rammchickcomments above:  So, y'all know I like the Pack Your Knives podcast, hosted by two NBA journalists, Tom Haberstroh and Kevin Arnovitz.  I finally got around to listening to their post-finale podcast.  (Sara and Buddha were guests on that one.  Sara withstood a lot of interrogation about the liver situation, and it was more complicated than I think anyone knew.  She was foiled a couple of times on ingredients and referred to the liver as "Plan G.")  Anyhoo - Tom and Kevin backed their friend and once-a-season podcast guest, Mina Kimes.  She is a prominent ESPN NFL analyst and on-camera and print reporter.  She used to be a business journalist.  She is also an avid foodie.  I listened to her episodes this season and last and she had a pretty archival memory of the show and had mastered the stats too.  What Tom also said about her is she has a joyful personality.  Born in Omaha, father a Captain in the Air Force, mother of Korean descent.  I was really into this suggestion - going in a different direction with TV, foodie, and reporting skills.

While I agree Kimes would be an interesting choice, I am pretty sure ESPN pays her way more than what Bravo could afford. That said, she’d make an interesting guest judge for some sort of sports related challenge .

• Like 2