Type keyword(s) to search

Who Should Replace Padma as Top Chef's Host?

• Start Topic

Padma has announced that she is leaving Top Chef. (See the media thread for info.) A discussion about her replacement began in that thread but finding her replacement deserves its own thread.

I think it will be very difficult to fill Padma’s shoes. They need someone completely different from her to minimize comparisons.    I’m thinking Karla Hall would be a great choice.  Just don’t let it be Mayim Bialek 😂

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

If she’s interested, Gail absolutely deserves the first shot at it IMO.  

That would be the best idea. It would be easier to bring in a new full time judge instead of a brand new host.

• Like 7
(edited)

Indeed, there were a litany of issues with the ill-fated Top Chef: Just Desserts, but Gail as host wasn’t one of them. She’s warm and personable, and obviously has a track record as judge. 

Whoever takes it on has to be willing to eat as much as Padma has noted she must, tasting every dish of every QF and EC, however.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Like 6
(edited)

I’ve always admired that about Padma — she will take big bites on every single dish and get a real feel for the flavors (except when it’s unintentionally raw!).

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 5

Kristen did a really good job with Restaurants at the End of the World where she was both cooking and doing host-y things. She was narrating and interviewing the other chefs so she's got presenting skills, has a great depth of culinary knowledge, and is personable. 

• Like 15
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Kristen did a really good job with Restaurants at the End of the World where she was both cooking and doing host-y things. She was narrating and interviewing the other chefs so she's got presenting skills, has a great depth of culinary knowledge, and is personable.

It's funny - which she has acknowledged - that she didn't even want to go on Top Chef when she was recommended for it, because she didn't want to be on TV, and now she's all over TV (she was great on Fast Foodies, too, but I agree Restaurants at the End of the World is the thing that shows she has some of the skills a host needs).

1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

Whoever takes it on has to be willing to eat as much as Padma has noted she must, tasting every dish of every QF and EC, however.

And that's no minor point, especially if they hire another woman, and it's not just vanity; they are so ridiculously scrutinized and criticized for their appearance, to eat the astounding number of calories per filming day Padma consumes and experience the inevitable weight gain that follows as an annual cycle is setting themselves up to be subjected to a running commentary beyond what a woman hosting any other type of show would experience.  Plus, some people are more susceptible than others to health changes as a result of dietary changes.

• Like 7

While the idea might be tempting, I'm not really on board with the idea of a former contestant as host of this show.  I think it should be someone that isn't quite so close to the Top Chef community.  Close, perhaps, but not that close.  And shallow me would hope they'd be easy on the eyes, too, LOL.

I think Gail is the best choice because she would deserve it and who else is better qualified?  I can't really think of anyone.  Who they should choose to replace Gail would be another issue, but again I would not love the idea of a former contestant in that role either.  

Worst choices would be (in no particular order):

Richard Blais
Daphne Oz
Katie Lee Biegel (Not that they would make that mistake again)

• Like 12

Wow, as I said on the other thread, I am so sad that it won't be Padma.  I'm sure she has the next step in place.  I completely think she has been the most talented host of any reality tv show - she should have gotten more Emmys that Probst or Phil Keoghan, who are excellent too.  

I do think my nomination is Kristen Kish.  She had terrific chemistry with Alton Brown on Iron Chef.  That's not a simple brief, but nonetheless those two got along like houses on fire.  

If that doesn't work, go big.  Which would be Melissa King, the GOAT. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Friends and I have been batting around names since it was announced, but I've decided I think it should be Gail if she wants it.

If not, I think Kristen would be a fine choice. I also thought of Antonia, who hosted that Beachside Brawl competition show on Food Network with Brooke and Tiffani, and is a perennial judge on Guy's Grocery Games.

Stephanie Izard has a show on Hulu but I haven't seen it. She's certainly knowledgeable and personable.

Eric is host of Alex vs. America on Food Network.

I thought of Malarkey and had myself a right laugh. Could you imagine???? Blergh!

I think it would be tough for anyone who owns and is the chef at a restaurant, as they would have to step away for months. Unless it's established enough or they have a really trusted and talented sous so they could do so without fear of tanking the restaurant.

Whoever it is has a tough act to follow.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 1

My only issue with having a past contestant be the host is the temptation to constantly recall 'their' season(s) - "I remember when..." No one wants to hear that.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

I would love Carla Hall, but that would be going in a completely different direction (fun, quirky and engaged rather than elegant, well-traveled and engaged). But I agree, Gail would be the most logical choice.

As for Gail's replacement, Kristen Kish would be perfect IMO.  Or the aforementioned Carla Hall.

• Like 5
(edited)

For the third judge, anyone but Blais.  

I wonder if Gail being on Last Chance Kitchen was her tryout for replacing Padma?    I bet Padma told the producers, Tom and Gail before the season started she was leaving.     Padma wouldn't leave the rest of the judges and producers without a lot of notice.     

I suspect the new judge won't be someone with a lot of restaurants they oversee, but someone who is more of a consultant, unfortunately, that describes Blais.    I also think Tom C. won't accept someone who will overshadow him, so that eliminates a lot of people.  I would love to see someone like Marcus Samuelsson, but I don't think Tom C. would like that at all.   Tom wants to be the star judge.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2

I'd be very happy with Gail moving into this spot if she wanted it.

A former contestant would be fun. I agree on Kristen Kish or Melissa King. Stephanie Izard would honestly be amazing. Brooke would be competent. Richard would make me never watch this show again, good lord, can you imagine.

Wild card: Ted Allen mends his rift with Bravo and Top Chef both. I frankly love him as a host on Chopped, and he's very polished by now, and deserves better than the Food Network's tiresome gimmicks.

Other wild card: James Oseland is resurrected from the grave of Top Chef spin-offs. The show would probably tank, but I'd at least find it hilarious as it does.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Well, that rules out Giada DeLaurentis. No spitting out the food, Giada.  

I'm not sure if I'd like an actual chef in a host position. I like Padma because she's knowledgeable about food and has written a cookbook, but she's also a really, really good host, which is a separate skill from being a good chef. And it's nowhere near as easy as it may seem. You have to be personable, put people at ease, and, critically, not be robotic or fake. Plus, much as I love Kristen Kish, I'd want to see her cook or be a judge rather than a host. 

And just a big fat hay-ull no to any "infuencers." Go away. This isn't TikTok or a selfie you're going to post. 

I could live with Gail as host. Maybe it should be that simple. 

• Like 3

UO here, I don’t think Gail would make a good host for Top Chef. There is something awkward and stiff about her personality that I am drawn to noticing wherever I see her, Top Chef and other places, even in print. Maybe give her a raise to stay as a judge but I am iffy on host.
I liked Ted when he was there as a judge and hated to see him leave. I would welcome him back in either role, judge or host. 

Not sure how I feel about former contestants being replacements. I think there needs to be a line of separation between moving up in the ranks specifically to this show. I don’t even really like when former contestants come back to judge. 

I do hope it is someone who is completely different than Padma so there is no chance for comparisons. 

• Like 5

I liked Gail as the host of Top Chef: Just Desserts, and I wouldn't mind her, but the thing that stands out about Padma is that she's more of a foodie than a chef even though she has put out cookbooks.  I think that's the profile of host I'd like--a well-traveled foodie with a broad background of food experiences. 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked Gail as the host of Top Chef: Just Desserts, and I wouldn't mind her, but the thing that stands out about Padma is that she's more of a foodie than a chef even though she has put out cookbooks.  I think that's the profile of host I'd like--a well-traveled foodie with a broad background of food experiences. 

Totally agreed but right now the only people that come to mind that really fit that bill are Stanley Tucci or Tony Bourdain and he's not with us anymore.  I wouldn't mind Stanley to be honest.  Another person I wouldn't mind is Curtis Stone, and he makes a fine host.  

3 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I'm not sure if I'd like an actual chef in a host position. I like Padma because she's knowledgeable about food and has written a cookbook, but she's also a really, really good host, which is a separate skill from being a good chef. And it's nowhere near as easy as it may seem. You have to be personable, put people at ease, and, critically, not be robotic or fake. Plus, much as I love Kristen Kish, I'd want to see her cook or be a judge rather than a host. 

I couldn't agree more about everything you said.  I love Kristin but as a judge, not a host.  Eric Adjepong has hosting skills but I just don't find him as personable as all that.  I could see him as a judge, though.  I could also see Marcus Samuelsson as a judge. 

5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I could also see Marcus Samuelsson as a judge. 

He’s certainly been a fine as a guest judge the multiple times he’s been on (based on the previews for the Season 20 finale, he’s reprising that role), and he is engaging. As an aside, I enjoyed his memoir, Yes Chef.

• Like 5
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Totally agreed but right now the only people that come to mind that really fit that bill are Stanley Tucci or Tony Bourdain and he's not with us anymore.  I wouldn't mind Stanley to be honest.  Another person I wouldn't mind is Curtis Stone, and he makes a fine host.

Is Tucci a global foodie or isn't he focused mostly on Italian?  Phil Rosenthal (Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix is so good) fits that but he's so nice and likes everything.  Andrew Zimmern is a chef but he has also traveled the world and tried different cuisines.  But he might look too much like Tom. 

12 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Just, please, God......not Guy Fieri.

It won't be him.  He's got an exclusive contract with The Food Network Discovery.  In fact, that's likely the biggest impediment to people like Carla Hall, (Guy-not that I think he's in the running), and maybe Ted hosting. 

I just hope they don't feel like they have to go with a "name." 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Worst choices would be (in no particular order):

Richard Blais
Daphne Oz
Katie Lee Biegel (Not that they would make that mistake again)

LOL, any of those would free up an hour a week for me. 

13 hours ago, Souris said:

I thought of Malarkey and had myself a right laugh. Could you imagine???? 

I imagine Tom C. out the door. 

If not Gail, I wonder if Gail would walk. Gail as host and Samin Nosrat as new Gail. IYKYK. For film and tv inquiries, please contact Brooke Ehrlich at CAA: brooke.ehrlich@caa.com (you're welcome, Bravo).

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

If not Gail (because Gail will always be my first choice) maybe they can go with Eric Adjepong. 

Eric is great on Alex vs America, he's really fun with Alex and some of the judges. He's also incredibly handsome and you can dress him up in different outfits as well. 

Brooke would be good as well. I've always enjoyed her as a judge and find her constructive without trying for sound bytes. I hate it when they're mean just to be "clever." 

Kristen could be good, she's really good with Alton.

My only reservation about anyone NotGail is the possible lack of warmth. Padma, although she was absolutely fabulous and had a divine diva aura, was incredibly warm and sincere. Gail has that warmth too and for me that's an essential characteristic that the new host must have.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Is Tucci a global foodie or isn't he focused mostly on Italian?  Phil Rosenthal (Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix is so good) fits that but he's so nice and likes everything.  Andrew Zimmern is a chef but he has also traveled the world and tried different cuisines.  But he might look too much like Tom. 

Tucci strikes me as an all around foodie but he's at least as broad in his foodie-ness as Kristin Kish or Eric Adjepong, plus he's got more experience, acting presence and gravitas in my opinion.  Andrew Zimmern, yeah, not a bad choice in a lot of the most important ways but on a shallow level maybe not.  

9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

If not Gail (because Gail will always be my first choice) maybe they can go with Eric Adjepong. 

Eric is great on Alex vs America, he's really fun with Alex and some of the judges. He's also incredibly handsome and you can dress him up in different outfits as well. 

Brooke would be good as well. I've always enjoyed her as a judge and find her constructive without trying for sound bytes. I hate it when they're mean just to be "clever." 

Kristen could be good, she's really good with Alton.

My only reservation about anyone NotGail is the possible lack of warmth. Padma, although she was absolutely fabulous and had a divine diva aura, was incredibly warm and sincere. Gail has that warmth too and for me that's an essential characteristic that the new host must have.

About Eric - This may be an unpopular opinion but he rubs me the wrong way the way Buddha rubs some people the wrong way.  I feel like Eric almost has a snarky way about him with Alex, not so much fun, although she has something to do with that too.  I don't really love that.  He always seems to be "one upping" himself in his head with her.  I think he comes off as having a superior attitude and I don't find him to be very warm at all.  He seems to be there to be promoting himself primarily.  Just my visceral reaction to him not based in anything but my subjective reaction.  That said, I like Eric as a chef and would love him as a judge on this show, just not a host.   And speaking of Buddha, same for him.  I don't see him as a host but a judge, that would work.

Kristin seems to be a favorite but I don't love her either.  She's another one I feel has a certain youthful self absorption factor that rubs me the wrong way.  Plus I can't see her on an equal level with the others on the judging panel in just about every way.  With Gail and Tom?  Not so much.  I loved her on her season but since she's decided to go "Hollywood" for lack of a better term, she rubs me the wrong way too for similar reasons as Eric.  She seems to be in it for self-promotion and she's running with it for all it's worth.  i don't feel like she includes me when she presents herself.  Something about her feels exclusionary.  I feel like she's for a certain crowd but I'd be too old and too "uncool" to be accepted by it. 

I just don't see Kristen or Eric having the maturity or credentials for the role of host on this show.  I would not put either of them on the same level in any way with one of my favorite suggestions,  Curtis Stone.  I think Curtis would blend perfectly with the show itself and Gail and Tom.  He'd be a natural.  He has the commanding dramatic stage presence like Padma, plus like her he's tall and easy on the eyes.  And no one could argue with his credentials as a chef and food authority.  I could argue with Eric's and Kristen's, though.  They are relative novices compared to the other two judges in many ways.  I think the qualifications are even more important to me than the "stage presence" part of it, although that's important too.  Hah, here I am sounding like the judges on "Food Network Star", LOL.

I also feel the same way about Brooke.  I loved Brooke in her season but since she's "gone Hollywood" she too rubs me the wrong way at times and I don't see her as host material at all.  I could see her as a judge, though.

I realize these are probably unpopular opinions but that's how I feel and I won't defend them as they are purely subjective.

Edited by Yeah No
Finding the right words.

Possibly another unpopular opinion, but sometimes it makes me sad when chefs don’t cook, when people we’ve come to love for their strengths in the kitchen become celebrities. That’s precisely why I don’t want some of my favorites to come back and host; I want Stephanie Izard to love and celebrate and use her wonderful talents in the kitchen. (I kinda want Stanley Tucci—despite my great love of letting him teach me about Italian foods—to keep acting, too.)

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, marybennet said:

Possibly another unpopular opinion, but sometimes it makes me sad when chefs don’t cook, when people we’ve come to love for their strengths in the kitchen become celebrities. That’s precisely why I don’t want some of my favorites to come back and host; I want Stephanie Izard to love and celebrate and use her wonderful talents in the kitchen.

If a chef leaves cooking, there are usually other reasons for it.  But most of the chefs can fit in time to record a TV show yet still be chefs.  Any chef with more than one restaurant has people in charge of the day-to-day already since they can't be two places at once.  All filming a TV show does is mean some of their time is spent on the show instead of one of their restaurants.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, rhofmovalley said:

I would love Carla Hall, but that would be going in a completely different direction (fun, quirky and engaged rather than elegant, well-traveled and engaged). But I agree, Gail would be the most logical choice.

As for Gail's replacement, Kristen Kish would be perfect IMO.  Or the aforementioned Carla Hall.

Carla is an elegant person, she just has the quirky, goofy persona developed for her Food Network shows, and TV in general. 

I'd Gail as host the best, but a couple of suggestions are Clinto Kelly from The Chew and What Not to Wear, and Amanda Freitag from Food Network. I don't see her on FN that much anymore.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Carla is an elegant person, she just has the quirky, goofy persona developed for her Food Network shows, and TV in general. 

I'd Gail as host the best, but a couple of suggestions are Clinto Kelly from The Chew and What Not to Wear, and Amanda Freitag from Food Network. I don't see her on FN that much anymore.

I love your suggestions, I think any of them would be great.  Even though Carla was a former TC contestant she's done enough on TV outside of that to make her a great choice, plus she has the personality, warmth and style to carry the role of host well.  I love Clinton but as a huge fan of WNTW I still have a hard time seeing him in a food-related role, although I would welcome it.  I once met him at my local Macy's when he came there in 2008 to do a fashion show and I won the door prize of a shopping spree with him.  I still have those clothes although they are 2 sizes too small now, LOL.  Amanda would work too.  I saw her on "Tournament of Champions" last year, although she didn't compete this year.  Great choices!

• Like 4

First, any new hire can't be white. If TPTB decide that Gail gets the hosting job, that's fine, but whoever then steps into her shoes must be a person of color. There can't be three white people at the helm. 

I'm coming to the conclusion that Padma is damn near irreplaceable. She checks several important boxes, and it's hard to think of someone who will fill anywhere near as many. She is American, but born in India and brings a global sensibility to all she does. She has lived Western and Eastern cultures and has a cultural understanding and empathy that will be very hard to match. She is highly intelligent, and open to new experiences. She is strikingly beautiful and a fashion icon. Her foodie credentials are unmatched. She appeared on several other cooking shows prior to Top Chef and has published many cookbooks, yet she's not a chef, which makes her more relatable to home cooks. She acts as both a UN and ACLU representative on cultural issues. 

She's a fricking unicorn, in the best possible way!

I don't envy those looking for her replacement. They may need to hire more than one person. 

• Like 11
  • Love 7

I have read everyone's suggestions and just don't know who I think would be a good and effective replacement.  Like others, I think Padma is amazing with a unique skill and experience base.  The only name I could come up with is Eric Ripert (sorry ProudMary, I know he's white).  But, I struggle to think of someone whose personal and professional expertise can in any way match/approach Padma's.  

Maybe Top Chef just goes out while still on top?  Or maybe one of the hosts of one of the international versions of the show?  I have no idea who the other hosts are, but there may be someone who could seamlessly step in.

My vote goes to Kristen Kish.  She is enchanting, intelligent, warm, funny and articulate about food in a witty and charming way.  (Can you tell she was my favorite TC cheftestant?)

• Like 5
On 6/3/2023 at 11:42 PM, buttersister said:

If not Gail, I wonder if Gail would walk. Gail as host and Samin Nosrat as new Gail.

I was not familiar with Samin Nosrat on first reading, but I went to her website and to You Tube and she does seem to check a lot of the right boxes. I definitely liked what I saw and read!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I was not familiar with Samin Nosrat on first reading, but I went to her website and to You Tube and she does seem to check a lot of the right boxes. I definitely liked what I saw and read!

She's the co-host of one of my favorite comfort podcasts with too few episodes called Home Cooking. 

https://homecooking.show/

As for not finding a Padma, they could decide to just go with a host instead of the host/judge she has become. 

• Like 2
(edited)

I love Jet Tila in everything he does.  He has a warm personality with a great touch of humor.  He’s super knowledgeable and always seems fair-minded and even-keeled.  Wonder if he’d be considered?

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

One box she may not check off (at least not technically according to some definitions) is being non-white.  The US census and some Iranians consider themselves to be white.  Others complain that being seen as "white" makes it harder for them to have some very justified discrimination taken seriously.  The gov't. is currently looking into a special category for people of Middle Eastern and North African descent but says it might be based on "ethnic group" rather than race.  Not sure about all of this but that's what I just read.

On whether I'd like her for either judge or host of this show, I don't know her well enough to have an opinion.  If I did have an opinion of her, her race and/or ethnic background would not be a factor in it at all.

9 hours ago, Harry24 said:

My vote goes to Kristen Kish.  She is enchanting, intelligent, warm, funny and articulate about food

I agree. I watched her on "End of the World" (admittedly only one episode, the one to Svalbard as we were soon to visit there - we just returned-- our meals were on our ship but I loved seeing the scenery and the polar bears) and I found her so charming and likeable. She was game for anything in an extremely pleasant way.

• Like 3

I was thinking Eric Adjepong but now I’m in the Kristen corner.  Most importantly she’d be herself throughout and not who others think she should be. 

I thought all season Tom wasn’t himself. This might have been the reason. 

Question — with Padma being so involved with the producing side what kind of issues result from this?  Could the problem of replacing Padma be not as big as the production side?  

I look forward to Top Chef.  Don’t want it to disappear. 

• Like 3
On 6/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, Lamb18 said:

Carla was also a model, right? Before she started cooking, IIRC. And Padma was a model. I can see it working. (Not that the person should have all of Padma's attributes; they're replacing the host, not the person.) Carla is also warm and quirky and just lovely in general. And she knows about food.

If not, I can see Gail doing it. 

I also remembered Aisha Tyler being on Top Chef many, many seasons ago and Whose Line is it Anyway? is done (where she's been hosting), so she might be a possibility. She's a foodie and she's been a host and she's funny (she's a stand-up comic too). From Vulture's list of best/worst celebrity Top Chef judges:

"Aisha Tyler (Season 4, Episode 4)

The earlier seasons of Top Chef were lighter in celebrity guests (quality, not quantity), and those who were featured weren’t typically there for obvious promotional reasons. One standout is actress Aisha Tyler’s appearance on Top Chef: Chicago. The chefs were tasked with making a six-course meal inspired by their favorite films — ranging from Willy Wonka to A Christmas Story to Talk to Her — for Tyler’s birthday dinner, hosted by film critic Richard Roeper. While the challenge itself could’ve been really fun, the decision to have the chefs pair up led to more creative restraint. Still, they managed to make impressive dishes, and Tyler was easily the episode’s highlight."

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Here's another person I just thought of - Nyesha Arrington.  I've seen her on several food competitions and she has style, grace, beauty and a stellar resume in addition to being a Top Chef alum.  I think she could be another fine choice for either host or judge, although it might conflict with her role on "Next Level Chef".  Personally I'd rather see her on Top Chef than that show.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

If you have Netflix, check out Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat; the show is based on her book of the same name.

• Like 1
(edited)

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat—both book and show—is/are great, and I love Samin Nosrat. I love the kinds of knowledge she’d bring to Top Chef. And she’s has a really charming, infectious laugh. 

Edited by marybennet
  • Like 3
(edited)

Gail moving over to the middle chair and bringing in additional judges would make the most sense and provide the continuity they need, and keep the connection with Tom going.

If they stay in the family, Brooke Williamson is a pretty easy call. In her stints as a judge, she has articulately explained dishes and what worked and didn't, seems to have strong standing in food community, is a winner (of TC and on that other network) and is appropriately low key, especially when compared to someone like Carla Hall, whom I liked, but  is pretty over the top.

If they go outside the family, they are going to have to test the hell out of the person to make sure it works with Tom and Gail.

Edited by AriAu
  • Like 6