Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Track 10: Rock N Roll Suicide

• Start Topic

71Q8BDKcfML._SX536_.jpg
(Season Finale)

In what will become their final performance, Daisy Jones & The Six perform to a sold-out crowd at Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. This is the story of that fateful day — and how their lives were forever changed as a result.

Premiere Date: March 23, 2023    Prime Video

Eddie is such a jerk. He really doesn’t have the talent to back up his mouth. 

I have an idea. Let’s all implode in the middle of the tour. Whee!

warren is the best one. 

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 5

I liked the reveal that the interviewer was Julia, because it wouldn't have made much sense if all band members suddenly broke their silence after 20+ years to any random reporter/documentarian.

Otherwise I didn't like the ending though. Too much like How I Met Your Mother.

• Like 7

It was a bit of a bummer but it left me wanting more at the same time. I'd love to see a second season detailing a reunion scenario but I won't hold my breath. 

Eddie definitely wasn't good enough to go on his own but Billy was really the jerk for taking his spotlight moment at the hometown show and then doubling down on it during his band introductions the next show in Chicago. Neither of them were great at keeping their egos in check.

I was already aware that the documentarian was the daughter because I kept seeing the actresses name in the credits and kept wondering when she was going to turn up. I finally checked IMDb and she was listed as both so the reveal wasn't a surprise but I still thought it was really well done.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

Eddie is such a jerk. He really doesn’t have the talent to back up his mouth. 

I have an idea. Let’s all implode in the middle of the tour. Whee!

warren is the best one. 

Yes.  

14 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Well, that was a truly dreadful ending. HIMYM is right.  “Mom’s dead, so please dad, go bang it out with your emotional affair partner. Mom is fine with it too. Maybe you can relapse together!”

Yes

All in all I thought the last two episodes were better than the entire show put together.  

I wasn’t entirely sure I understood the Karen part. I understood she didn’t want the baby, but did she also not want to be with that guy at all? 

Eddie is awful.  

Billy is awful.  I love how the minute Camila left him, he immediately ran to Daisy.  Then as soon as his wife dies, and he gets the all clear, he immediately runs back to Daisy.  

How is this a compliment to Daisy or Camila?

Also in the present Billy has news anchor hair.  It’s atrocious.  

I am glad that Daisy got sober and got her life together.

I think the most positive thing that came out of the show for me was it made me revisit Fleetwood Mac which is never a mistake.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, dmc said:

I wasn’t entirely sure I understood the Karen part. I understood she didn’t want the baby, but did she also not want to be with that guy at all? 

She knew that Graham wanted kids and a more traditional family life, while she didn't. He said he would give that up because he loved her, but she didn't want him to, so she told him she didn't want to be with him, even though she still loved him.

• Like 23
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

She knew that Graham wanted kids and a more traditional family life, while she didn't. He said he would give that up because he loved her, but she didn't want him to, so she told him she didn't want to be with him, even though she still loved him.

Oh.  Yeah, I was pretty sure she loved him.  

• Like 3

I read the book and saw the shows. I liked the book ending, but I've never watched How I Met Your Mother. In the book, Camilla never cheated, and they never showed Billy showing up at Daisy's door at the end. Billy and Camilla had more children. Daisy adopted 2 sons.  In the book, they're interviewed as being much older. I guess they kept them younger in case there's another season. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
45 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I read the book and saw the shows. I liked the book ending, but I've never watched How I Met Your Mother. In the book, Camilla never cheated, and they never showed Billy showing up at Daisy's door at the end. Billy and Camilla had more children. Daisy adopted 2 sons.  In the book, they're interviewed as being much older. I guess they kept them younger in case there's another season. 

Billy & Daisy also never kissed. I think the one night in Chicago he realized he might want to kiss her and then left the band. 
I read that it would be too hard to age them to their 7Os (which is how old they’d be now) so they set the interviews earlier and maybe people would wonder about a possible reunion. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I did not read the book or watch HIMYM. I thought the last two episodes were the best. I liked Daisy better sober. I liked the ending, apparently everyone was happy after the band broke up. Too bad they couldn’t handle being famous. Camilla was the best. 
It was weird they did not age the actors, judging by how old Julia was, 20’s?, it had been around 15-20 years later. 

• Like 5

I  agree with all that has been said here.   I hated Billy and Daisy ending.  I never saw the end of HIMYM -- if that is how it ended I okay with not seeing it.   Did Billy actually shave his beard when he went to visit Daisy?  Was that some subconscious way to recapture the moment he had with Daisy?

Of the band members, Warren was the most grounded person.  He recognized how special the tour was in his musical career and embrace the time.  I don't blame Eddie for quitting the band.  He was tired of Billy and his narcissism.  He wanted to be his own person regardless of his talent level.

I haven't read the book.  I was fine with the lightning in a bottle plot frame but it has been done before (i.e. The Commitments).  I'm curious if the band implosion occurred after a 2nd album would have been a more interesting story.

• Like 5

As someone who never warmed to either Daisy or Billy I am resoundingly meh on the ending. Oh goody, now that Camille has conveniently died they can finally get together.

The break-up of this band was no tragedy. They only had one album together. Now, when a band like The Band called it quits - that was a loss to music lovers.

I am sorry to have called Tim Olyphant's Rod a sleaze early in the series, he was quite decent and un-sleazy to them.

I don't regret watching this series because I did enjoy the look and sound of it throughout but the way it all turned out was very underwhelming for me.

• Like 9
9 hours ago, grawlix said:

Did Billy actually shave his beard when he went to visit Daisy?  Was that some subconscious way to recapture the moment he had with Daisy?

I thought it was just a way to show that some time had passed between Julia showing Billy Camila's clip and him going to see Daisy. It looked like she didn't have bangs anymore either when she opened the door. Maybe they should have changed his hairstyle up more too. Although that reminds me how much I laughed when someone on Reddit I think asked if Billy had been perming his hair in the 70s or if he was straightening it in the 90s.

7 hours ago, magdalene said:

I am sorry to have called Tim Olyphant's Rod a sleaze early in the series, he was quite decent and un-sleazy to them.

Same. He was delightful. I loved his reactions to all the nuttiness happening around him and seeing his efforts to just keep things going.

I have issues with the show, especially now that I've read the book, but I had a pretty good time overall. The structure of this episode and (it looks like this will be an unpopular opinion) the ending worked for me.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 11

I guess I am an easy, romantic sap to please because I loved the ending.  It gave me the 'happily ever after' vibe that I was after and tied the story up nicely enough for me.  I wholeheartedly enjoyed this series just as much as I enjoyed the book.  I miss the hell out of shows like this and they are too few and far between for me to enjoy picking anything apart.  Without remembering everything from the book because it was so long ago that I read it, I think this series did a bang on job capturing the vibe of the story at the time that I read it and the interview scenes were exactly as I had pictured them to be in my head. 

• Like 13
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, magdalene said:

7 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Same. He was delightful. I loved his reactions to all the nuttiness happening around him and seeing his efforts to just keep things going.

Loved Rod. He had the perfect balance between knowing when to intervene and when to stay the fuck out of it!

I have to say that when that single tear rolled down Billy's cheek as he watched the bartender pour him the drink, I lost it. Reminded me a lot of the ending of Born to Be Blue with Ethan Hawke. Bawled during that too!

Although I'm still patiently waiting for the Fleetwood Mac biopic, this will do in the mean time. I really enjoyed this despite yelling at the TV every episode!

• Like 5
11 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

I really enjoyed this despite yelling at the TV every episode!

Kind of a paradox, but me too.  I wanted more episodes.

I was disappointed that Nicky's threat proved to be empty: "You're going to regret this."  Usually when a character lays down a threat like that, it comes back before the story ends.  I figured he'd shame her to the press or take her to court or something.  Instead, not a peep.

Riley Keough deserves an award for this.   It's not her fault the story wasn't more powerful but she really gave it everything she had.   She did all the singing!  I have been irritated seeing many reviewers implying that her powerful performance as a rock star is owed to her grandfather, Elvis, and her mother Lisa Marie, like "it's in her genes."   Doesn't the credit belong to her alone?

In other matters, WTF was Karen Sirko doing in a Robert Palmer pastiche video?   That was so jokey it jolted me out of the story in the final minutes.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1

It took 10 episodes, but I finally see why someone decided to sign up for the underwritten and otherwise invisible role of Warren. Sebastian Chacon had the best moment in this show when he utterly burst Eddie's pity party.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Like 12
  • LOL 1

The show had its flaws, but I ended up loving it and crying my eyes out at the end.  RIP, sweet Camila.  Maybe I'll read the book now.

Early on someone asked me if I'd figured out who the interviewer was.  Until then I hadn't even thought about it, but that made me realize it had to be Julia.

I wish the show would have spent more time with the other band members.  I'm glad they all got a happyish ending, but we never really got to know them much outside of their relationship to Billy.  Did Warren ever say a word to Daisy?

10 hours ago, millennium said:

I was disappointed that Nicky's threat proved to be empty: "You're going to regret this." 

Yeah, his departure was pretty abrupt and he was never heard about again?  Strange.

• Like 1

I read the book. It was a while ago, but what I liked best about it, was that Daisy was a groupie at first, writing her own music. It talked a lot about her creative process, that she really wanted to be an artist, and worked hard at it, and it was important to her.

Here it was just all about the romantic tension between her and Billy.

The book gave her more of an interior life, and I think her part was underwritten. The series was just substance abuse and romantic yearning. Riley Keough did a good job with what she was given to work with.

I enjoyed the last few episodes better than the beginning, which oversimplified her.

Sebastian Chacon reminded me of a Latino Ringo. Kind of a nice guy, not a brilliant one, not a jerk, who was thrilled to marry a glamourous woman.

Edited by Hanya2
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, Hanya2 said:

Sebastian Chacon reminded me of a Latino Ringo. Kind of a nice guy, not a brilliant one, not a jerk, who was thrilled to marry a glamourous woman.

I was also getting Ringo vibes from him.  It reminded me of Get Back . All the egos in the room and Ringo is just chill. Warren got to live his best life.

As an aside I saw Ringo in concert last year with his All Star Band it was awesome. Such a fun show.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, his departure was pretty abrupt and he was never heard about again?  Strange.

And yet, he delivered the one line that I think puts the relationship between Daisy and Billy in proper context.  I forget the exact words, but it was about knowing the difference between a soulmate and a mirror.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2023 at 6:23 AM, Daltrey said:

Eddie definitely wasn't good enough to go on his own but Billy was really the jerk for taking his spotlight moment at the hometown show and then doubling down on it during his band introductions the next show in Chicago. Neither of them were great at keeping their egos in check.

Yes, I really enjoyed the revelation that Eddie's long suffering "good guy" shtick never paid off. He made a good point about always bending to Billy's whim, but then when he was no longer under Billy's shadow, and could no longer blame him for his mediocrity, he still never made a name for himself. And for all his "devotion" to Camila, he didn't go to her funeral. I'm surprised he did the documentary, because he came off pretty terrible in the end.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:24 AM, krankydoodle said:

I did not see his character going in that direction at all! I seriously thought he'd be the devil on their shoulder to make things interesting. I loved him. And it seemed like in his final scene he was discovering another act to set up for a spinoff, which I would watch for him.

I thought the overall story was kind of weak, but Riley Keough was excellent in the role, and her chemistry with Sam Claflin was lightning in a bottle. They really sizzled in all of their "let's eat this microphone together" performances.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Daisy Jones is no Stevie Nicks. 

I don't even know. I'm torn. I read the book a few years back. At first, I just loved it, but by the end, I merely liked it. I don't think Taylor Jenkins Reid is a great writer. She's good, she has a lot of engaging ideas, but her prose is often clunky and amateurish, to me. I've forgotten more of novel than I remember, so the changes here in the series didn't scream out at me, the way it did some devotees. 

I didn't ever love Daisy Jones in the novel. Her insouciance and free spirit just generally read more like an obnoxious brat than what they were supposed to be representing. And Riley Keough's performance--and I've liked her a lot, in other things, and she definitely LOOKS like the book cover--just completely reinforced the obnoxious brat thing, for me. Why everyone was so enamored of her I could NOT figure out. Karen Sirko was definitely more worthy of goddess-worship. 

I thought Sam Clafin was excellent, even when I wanted to punch Billy out. He does tortured really well. Suki was also great. 

And Camila Marrone was good. I know the jokes about her aging out of Leo's dating bracket, but she comes across as so mature and thoughtful. I was definitely Team Camila, tho she deserved a lot better than Billy. 

Yeah, the ending just smacked HIMYM and I hated it. This does not need another season, plz.

Oh well. The clothes were great. Some of the music was really good. TImothy Olyphant was the best part. I loved Rod. His facial expressions were everything, and his silver foxy rumply hair and casually tossed scarf at the end were swoony. 

• Like 5
On 3/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, luna1122again said:

I didn't ever love Daisy Jones in the novel. Her insouciance and free spirit just generally read more like an obnoxious brat than what they were supposed to be representing. And Riley Keough's performance--and I've liked her a lot, in other things, and she definitely LOOKS like the book cover--just completely reinforced the obnoxious brat thing, for me. Why everyone was so enamored of her I could NOT figure out. Karen Sirko was definitely more worthy of goddess-worship. 

I just finished the book and I agree. I also thought the constant mentions of her beauty in the book were overdone. We get it, she got her model mother's looks. 

I liked show Camila better than book Camila although I was disappointed that Camila's photography didn't go anywhere. The chyron said that she was a photographer, but other than the scene of her in the darkroom, and showing Billy pictures when she came into town, it doesn't seem as if photography became more than a hobby unless I missed something.

I do think that Eddie got a raw "where are they now" sendoff. His beef with Billy was legitimate. In the book, he was a talented musician, but Billy was a control freak. Everyone had the same complaints about Billy tinkering with the recording and mixing their sound, but Eddie was the only one who had a chip on his shoulder about it. So, for the show to make it seem as if Eddie wasn't good enough didn't sit right. 

Book Camila was too understanding and seemed more like an oracle than a person. 

However, I thought everyone played their roles well. Riley Keough embodied Daisy's spirit. I'm fine with the show being a one-and-done.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Like 10
On 3/27/2023 at 9:00 AM, absnow54 said:

And it seemed like in his final scene he was discovering another act to set up for a spinoff, which I would watch for him.

I thought he had spotted the person who would become the "love of his life" that he'd been avoiding.

17 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

The chyron said that she was a photographer, but other than the scene of her in the darkroom, and showing Billy pictures when she came into town, it doesn't seem as if photography became more than a hobby unless I missed something.

In one of the ending episodes she definitely mentioned something about shooting some other band's album cover in the golden light on the beach. I just assumed she did photography jobs as they came up. 

On 3/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, Sheenieb said:

The chyron said that she was a photographer, but other than the scene of her in the darkroom, and showing Billy pictures when she came into town, it doesn't seem as if photography became more than a hobby unless I missed something.

She took the cover photo for Aurora. 

47 minutes ago, whiporee said:

She took the cover photo for Aurora. 

I don't know how you concluded that Camila shot the album cover.  I don't remember at any point in the series that the show gave Camila any credit for the album cover.  It was established that the publishers hired a well known and well-regarded (even noted by Camila) photographer to do the album photo shoot.  Why would they use Camila's random photos for the album cover and waste all that money for the photo shoot?

10 hours ago, grawlix said:

I don't know how you concluded that Camila shot the album cover.  I don't remember at any point in the series that the show gave Camila any credit for the album cover.  It was established that the publishers hired a well known and well-regarded (even noted by Camila) photographer to do the album photo shoot.  Why would they use Camila's random photos for the album cover and waste all that money for the photo shoot?

It's literally in the show.  They show Daisy and Billy up on a bluff arguing, with Daisy throwing her arms wide.  Camila takes the picture.  And then again, later, Billy is going through the well-known photographer's photos, and bitching about how none of them are right.  That's when Camila gives him the picture, showing she "saw" them, in both senses of the word.  And that's the album cover.  They used her picture because she got the shot.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lasu said:

It's literally in the show.  They show Daisy and Billy up on a bluff arguing, with Daisy throwing her arms wide.  Camila takes the picture.  And then again, later, Billy is going through the well-known photographer's photos, and bitching about how none of them are right.  That's when Camila gives him the picture, showing she "saw" them, in both senses of the word.  And that's the album cover.  They used her picture because she got the shot.

Well it shows how much I was paying attention to the album cover.  My interest in the storyline diminished as the season when on.

That publisher must be the worst run business in the industry.  Giving in to all those demands to a band that burned them on the last tour seemed too unrealistic to me.

(edited)

I liked this series and also enjoyed the ending. Until the last episode, I didn’t think Daisy and Billy were a good match because they’re both alphas. But I like how they had them circle back to each other at the end. They’re sober and at different stages in their life, so perhaps it will work out. 

The two leads were very good. I wish there had more development of the other characters and they had provided back-up vocals. Every time they showed Karen she was just playing the keyboards and not singing, and it was the same with the others. I’ll admit I was thinking of Fleetwood Mac, and I wanted to hear some of the others sing. But I understand this is fiction. 

Having said that, oh gosh, I would LOVE a biopic on Fleetwood Mac! They could start out when Lindsey and Stevie join the band and culminate in the incredible drama that happened during the Rumors album. Or maybe they could go to the Tusk album and tour. So much material! Lindsey was accused of being a band dictator, especially about Tusk. But how would they cast it, especially Stevie?

Back on topic: I’m glad Graham ended up happily married with a family. He was my favorite character. I understand why Karen let him go and think it was selfless of her. She knew she couldn’t give him what he wanted. Camila getting sick was a surprise to me, as was BIlly’s daughter being the interviewer.

Although I didn’t like Daisy for most of the series, I warmed up to her on the last episode when she told Billy she didn’t want to be broken. I also related to her painful conversation with her mother, as my mother was similar to Daisy’s. That line she said, “They don’t know you like I do.” So manipulative and mean!

I wonder if any of the Fleetwood Mac band members watched this series. 

Glad they changed the title of the first hit with Daisy from the book’s “Honeycomb,” which is a cheesy, horrible song name IMO. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 3
On 3/27/2023 at 6:06 AM, luna1122again said:

I don't even know. I'm torn. I read the book a few years back. At first, I just loved it, but by the end, I merely liked it. I don't think Taylor Jenkins Reid is a great writer. She's good, she has a lot of engaging ideas, but her prose is often clunky and amateurish, to me. I've forgotten more of novel than I remember, so the changes here in the series didn't scream out at me, the way it did some devotees. 

This was the first audiobook I ever listened to, and the actors were so convincing I went and looked up the band after finishing it because I thought they were real. I haven't revisited the book since and I wonder if I thought it was really really good because I had no other audiobooks to compare it to, and the actors did such a great job.

Then I listened to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and was blown away. I was convinced TJR was an incredible writer, a new favorite, and I would want to read everything she wrote.

So I followed that with One True Loves and Malibu Rising. Oh. Oh, god, no. Just absolute drivel. Like, yeah, it's cute that some of the characters intersect throughout the novels, but other than those little easter eggs popping up occasionally, there's really nothing special about her writing. It is awkward and clunky. It's over the top with its descriptions of how beautiful and successful yet flawed everyone is (makes you want to scream "show not tell!"). I hesitate to revisit Daisy Jones or Evelyn Hugo because I enjoyed them so much, and after thinking critically about her writing, I'm afraid I won't enjoy them a second time.

I keep seeing ads for One True Loves so I assume they're making that into a series as well. I don't get it. It's an interesting premise, but poor execution, and I can't imagine a series about it being interesting at all.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I don't know that you can necessarily say Eddie was untalented. I mean, maybe he was, because he didn't end up successful. But they didn't showcase anyone's talents other than Daisy and Billy, so it's hard to say who was talented and who wasn't. 

It's been a while since I read the book, but I have a vague memory that Eddie ended up as a producer, which to me would have been a satisfying ending. He seemed more future-focused and pragmatic, versus the artist that Billy was.

Did they say how Billy made a living after the band broke up? Was he living off his early success?

I thought Riley Keough was pretty good -- I thought they all were, actually. But Daisy was a much more interesting character in the book. Same with Camila. 

• Like 3

I think Eddie was probably a talented guitarist, but that doesn’t make you a star.  And when you’re talented and surrounded by real stars, it probably makes you resentful.

Daisy and Billy may not have been the nicest people in the world, but they were stars.  I’ve known people like them, and you wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with them, but God, you wanted to watch them on stage.  They’re not “normal”.

I really liked the show, I thought it reflected the music industry (or any performing arts really), and sap that I am, I loved when Billy knocked on Daisy’s door.

• Like 5
On 3/25/2023 at 11:31 AM, Cementhead said:

I guess I am an easy, romantic sap to please because I loved the ending.  It gave me the 'happily ever after' vibe that I was after and tied the story up nicely enough for me.  I wholeheartedly enjoyed this series just as much as I enjoyed the book.  I miss the hell out of shows like this and they are too few and far between for me to enjoy picking anything apart.  Without remembering everything from the book because it was so long ago that I read it, I think this series did a bang on job capturing the vibe of the story at the time that I read it and the interview scenes were exactly as I had pictured them to be in my head. 

Agree...I loved this series! I was looking for pure entertainment and the nostalgia of the 70's rock scene which I was a part of back in the day. Sure, it wasn't perfect but they got alot of things right. Riley Keough impressed me and Sam Claflin certainly was hot enough to portray a tortured rock star. I would like to see a sequel...it could happen if there is enough interest in going forward with it...time will tell.

• Like 3
On 4/8/2023 at 6:45 PM, Sweet-tea said:

I liked this series and also enjoyed the ending. Until the last episode, I didn’t think Daisy and Billy were a good match because they’re both alphas. But I like how they had them circle back to each other at the end. They’re sober and at different stages in their life, so perhaps it will work out. 

The two leads were very good. I wish there had more development of the other characters and they had provided back-up vocals. Every time they showed Karen she was just playing the keyboards and not singing, and it was the same with the others. I’ll admit I was thinking of Fleetwood Mac, and I wanted to hear some of the others sing. But I understand this is fiction. 

Having said that, oh gosh, I would LOVE a biopic on Fleetwood Mac! They could start out when Lindsey and Stevie join the band and culminate in the incredible drama that happened during the Rumors album. Or maybe they could go to the Tusk album and tour. So much material! Lindsey was accused of being a band dictator, especially about Tusk. But how would they cast it, especially Stevie?

Back on topic: I’m glad Graham ended up happily married with a family. He was my favorite character. I understand why Karen let him go and think it was selfless of her. She knew she couldn’t give him what he wanted. Camila getting sick was a surprise to me, as was BIlly’s daughter being the interviewer.

Although I didn’t like Daisy for most of the series, I warmed up to her on the last episode when she told Billy she didn’t want to be broken. I also related to her painful conversation with her mother, as my mother was similar to Daisy’s. That line she said, “They don’t know you like I do.” So manipulative and mean!

I wonder if any of the Fleetwood Mac band members watched this series. 

Glad they changed the title of the first hit with Daisy from the book’s “Honeycomb,” which is a cheesy, horrible song name IMO. 

Actually, I think the backstory of Buckingham/Nicks would be a great intro to them joining Fleetwood Mac. They met in high school…played and sang together and then moved to California. Stevie cleaned homes and waited tables to support them while Lindsay stayed at home and worked on his “music”. They did cut an album that didn’t go anywhere but Fleetwood Mac heard it and were intrigued. They reached out to them and the rest is history.

• Useful 1
On 3/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, Hanya2 said:

I read the book. It was a while ago, but what I liked best about it, was that Daisy was a groupie at first, writing her own music. It talked a lot about her creative process, that she really wanted to be an artist, and worked hard at it, and it was important to her.

Here it was just all about the romantic tension between her and Billy.

The book gave her more of an interior life, and I think her part was underwritten. The series was just substance abuse and romantic yearning. Riley Keough did a good job with what she was given to work with.

I enjoyed the last few episodes better than the beginning, which oversimplified her.

The chemistry between Billy and Daisy was through the roof. The sexual tension was palpable! It was admirable that Billy was so thoughtful and caring for his wife’s feelings and for physically restraining himself from having an affair with Daisy but I think in the real world of that time period with so many drugs and alcohol dulling the sensibilities an affair would probably have happened. Again, another reference to Fleetwood Mac…Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood engaged in an affair while Mick was married. Cocaine and and a mutual attraction won out. They both felt badly afterwards and Stevie has said she regretted it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Yep. Mick also had an affair with a friend of Stevie's. I think he was still married when that one happened too, and Stevie was more ticked that he moved on from her to her friend. 

Ah... the '70s and the soap opera of Fleetwood Mac. I don't know if Stevie ever got over Lindsey Buckingham. She seems to have held onto some resentment. 

(edited)

Meta-moment:

I was listening to the radio in the car today and the DJ announced he'd be playing "the new release from a band called Daisy Jones and the Six," and sure enough, the next song was "Let Me Down Easy."

Snip from the station's online playlist:

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 7.22.00 PM.png

I haven't seen anything like this since the days of the Partridge Family, where a fake television band is injected into mainstream music.*   The song starts with some Fleetwood Mac-ish guitar chords but the dueling vocals seems to me less like Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham and more like the Starland Vocal Band.  Riley Keough's good enough to be a bonafide recording artist, but her male co-star, whatever his name was, doesn't have the pipes.

I'd like to think it was just a DJ having some laughs, but this is the second time I've heard the song in rotation on this station.

* Eddie and the Cruisers comes to mind, but the artists on that soundtrack were Beaver Brown, a band that worked the New England college circuit for about a hundred years before landing the Eddie and the Cruisers gig.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 3

I enjoyed the book and show. I find it’s best not to overthink stuff like this. It was entertaining. I love the music and fashion and for me, Warren and Teddy were the best characters. 

• Like 4

Just finished this and enjoyed it, at least as much as one can enjoy watching narcissists self-destruct and take everyone around them down with them. Good god, Daisy and Billy were terrible people.

If they both hated the music life so much, why do it? Daisy uses everything she can to escape, and Billy says he’s never been happy. Okay then, why bother?

As for the drug use, I’ll never understand it. I mean, the actual act of snorting powder up your nose seems so gross.

Funny how so many said they loved the clothes. Some of the stage outfits were okay in a costumey way, but regular 70s clothes were just god-awful. I was there in their original iteration, and I never thought they’d be considered cool again. 

The show was an interesting look at the rise and fall of a rock band, seems like so many self-destruct for the reasons in this show: egos, drugs, mental health issues. The cast did a fantastic job.

I have a film-making question: Those stadium scenes with tens of thousands of people? Is that CGI? In the Queen movie, did they just use actual audience footage of Live-Aid? Wondering how that works, getting audience reaction to a fictional band. I mean, that’s a lot of extras.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 4/10/2023 at 10:50 AM, monagatuna said:

This was the first audiobook I ever listened to, and the actors were so convincing I went and looked up the band after finishing it because I thought they were real. I haven't revisited the book since and I wonder if I thought it was really really good because I had no other audiobooks to compare it to, and the actors did such a great job.

Then I listened to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and was blown away. I was convinced TJR was an incredible writer, a new favorite, and I would want to read everything she wrote.

So I followed that with One True Loves and Malibu Rising. Oh. Oh, god, no. Just absolute drivel. Like, yeah, it's cute that some of the characters intersect throughout the novels, but other than those little easter eggs popping up occasionally, there's really nothing special about her writing. It is awkward and clunky. It's over the top with its descriptions of how beautiful and successful yet flawed everyone is (makes you want to scream "show not tell!"). I hesitate to revisit Daisy Jones or Evelyn Hugo because I enjoyed them so much, and after thinking critically about her writing, I'm afraid I won't enjoy them a second time.

I followed a similar reading path. I read Daisy Jones and the Six first and wanted to like it more than I did. I love created documents and epistolary novels, so this should have been tailor made for me. I just felt that heart and sincerity and deeply wrought characters were missing. I reread it while I watched the series and enjoyed it more but saw no reason to change my initial assessment. 

I read the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo shortly after my first read of Daisy and loved it. This is the one I’m afraid to read again for fear it won’t be as good as I remember it. I wish TJR was a bit less successful so she could develop her talent more because I do think it’s there, but at this point she has no reason to have the fire in her belly she would need. 

The biggest problem is that I don’t believe that Billy and Daisy are in love in any format. All they give us is lust. Lust can be an amazing ingredient in a great love but other ingredients need to be there too. I never see them with Daisy and Billy even though the music and songwriting should be an easy entrance to artistic sympathy and a means to show them connecting but i just don’t see it. That’s what’s missing and the incredible costumes and nostalgia and acting and pretty people don’t make up for a lack of soul. 

• Like 2

Just finished binging this show and what an idiotic ending. All these years later she is gonna leave a tape for Daisy and Billy telling them to meet up. This is such a dumbass tv cliche. Made me hate the whole show with that ending. Just like dumb HIMYM.

Daisy and Billy never had any chemistry anyways to me. 

I know there’s not going to be but if there was a season 2 I wouldn’t be watching it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I see people have asked for a series like this about Fleetwood Mac.  Yes to that.

Now that almost all members of "The Band" have passed someone should do a series about them. You know real music history being made.  The Band was storied when they were still together back in the day.  Real rock music legends loved them. Though good luck finding people who could evoke even a smidgen of the voices of Rick Danko and Levon Helm.

I doubt we will get a Fleetwood Mac biopic until they are dead or way too old to care.   I’d love a Heart one too.

This show was decent and a reunion sequel could be good.  Could the two be as good fully together.  Break up songs are almost always better.  

Edited by Hanahope

I finally got to watch this yesterday. Laid up with an injury, so watched the whole thing.  I know a lot of stuff happened, but a day later my general impression is "crazy people trying to out crazy each other."  I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. I didn't like Billy or Daisy or Camila or Eddie.  I only liked Graham and Warren.  They were the only not-totally-crazy ones there.  Karen was kind of blank for me.  

• Love 1
On 3/27/2023 at 6:06 AM, luna1122again said:

And Billy is no Lindsey Buckingham. Whatever I have thought of him as a human being he is a genuine musical genius.

• Like 1