Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Train Court

Bort
  • Start Topic

When a train delay causes issues, Abby sees an opportunity to serve underground justice. Gurgs tries to stall the proceedings so Abby can meet her favorite celebrities, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski, but Dan has dinner reservations he won't give up.

Airdate: February 21, 2023

Originally episode 15. 
Tara Lipinski as Tara Lipinski
Johnny Weir as Johnny Weir
Gary Anthony Williams as Judge Flobert
Earnestine Phillips as Caroline
NUP_198719_0340_lowRes.jpg

David Douglas as Delivery Guy
A.J. Tannen as Zack
Sara Emami as Leanne
Jaime Moyer as Linda
Sasha A. Ali as Rita

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

"You do know I'm going to a male strip club..."
"Yeah, I had a job before this."

My only good laugh of the episode.

I want to know more about that story now :D!

I also liked this exchange:

"I've played a dead body on 'Law & Order'..."

"We've all played a dead body on 'Law & Order'!"

The appearance of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir was unexpected, but cute. 

• Like 7

I came here to comment on the Law and Order meta too. Loved that line.

I actually laughed more this week than I did last week. Olivia’s advice to Abby about the subway was super accurate. I’ve been to NYC a lot to see family there, sometimes staying for a week at a time and using the subway the whole time. You really learn fast to not pay anybody any mind.

I liked the substitute judge too! 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I actually laughed more this week than I did last week. Olivia’s advice to Abby about the subway was super accurate. I’ve been to NYC a lot to see family there, sometimes staying for a week at a time and using the subway the whole time. You really learn fast to not pay anybody any mind.

I used to go to NYC for work a few times a month. The office was a decent walk from the train station but thankfully not so far that I needed to take the subway. (I actually kind of enjoyed the walk. I passed a flower shop or something and often would be going by when they were receiving deliveries of nice-smelling things.)

• Like 2

I didn't really laugh, but also didn't really mind. It was cute and a pleasant enough 20 minutes.

I know it's been said before, but the show really needs more characters, especially since it technically has five but really only has four. Neil is there, but they haven't given him any storylines, so it's the other four being paired off into plots in each episode, with Neil just being there too. This time we had Abby/Olivia and Dan/Gurgs...with Neil there too.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

came here to comment on the Law and Order meta too. Loved that line.

It’s Law Order, which we all now know is the longest running show with an ampersand in the title.

I feel like so much more could have been done with Tara & Johnny’s cameo. Where were the bedazzled microphones and headsets?

This show just doesn’t have the natural quirkiness of the original. It feels forced here.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Ok - sorry y’all, but I’m out.  I tried really really hard to like this show, but I’m a diabetic and the WAY over-the-top-sugary Abby puts my health in jeopardy.  Sorry, Harry, but your writers are dead and these guys suck.  They ain’t doing you any favors, Melissa.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 2/21/2023 at 1:07 AM, kariyaki said:

"Train Court".  When a train delay causes issues, Abby sees an opportunity to serve underground justice. Gurgs tries to stall the proceedings so Abby can meet her favorite celebrities, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski, but Dan has dinner reservations he won't give up.

I hated the contrived "train court" portions of this week's ep but enjoyed Dan and NotRoz working against each other, however I hated Johnny Weird and Tara Reid making lame catty commentary while dressed weirdly. I was kinda hoping a stage light would fall on them, TBH. 😠

• Like 3

I will be shocked if the show gets renewed. I just can’t get into it. The characters are not ones you want to follow or care about. John Larroquette is wasted here the actress playing Abby was good on Big Bang and she was OK in that Olympic  movie, but she is terrible here and I don’t like any of the other cast either. There’s just something about each one of them. It’s bad chemistry all  around and terrible writing. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, voiceover said:

I thought this ep was sweet, but my UO: thought the Johnny/Tara bit was overdone.  They’ve become their own SNL caricatures.

I agree: more Neil.  Trap him in the elevator with Abby!!

When I see T/J, they remind me of Will and Grace, on steroids.  They are such an absorbed duo, I can’t imagine their significant others not feeling like 3rd wheels.

But this episode felt like it was phoned in.  I did like the VHS tapes and Gurg’s dinner for Dan.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

Ok - sorry y’all, but I’m out.  I tried really really hard to like this show, but I’m a diabetic and the WAY over-the-top-sugary Abby puts my health in jeopardy.  Sorry, Harry, but your writers are dead and these guys suck.  They ain’t doing you any favors, Melissa.

I only just noticed with this one that Melissa is also an executive producer, so you know she's not just having to deal with whatever crap is given to her. She could make it better.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I only just noticed with this one that Melissa is also an executive producer, so you know she's not just having to deal with whatever crap is given to her. She could make it better.

This show is the brainchild of Melissa and her husband.  Any issues are definitely on them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Positives: I really thought the Dan-and-Gurgs segments were the best. John Larroquette always ups everyone else's game.

Negatives: Too much overacting in one place. I adore Melissa Rauch, I really do, but she and the DA both go too far over the top. There's a time and a place for that in Night Court, but EVERY SINGLE MINUTE THEY'RE ONSCREEN is not it. I can handle them separately, but too much togetherness makes me grit my teeth. Also, Melissa needs to dial down the perkiness. It really, really, REALLY is too much.

I did laugh a couple of times, but it was always as a result of something Dan said or did. Not my favorite episode so far. And as a longtime, rabid, figure skating fan, I was seriously underwhelmed by Tara and Johnny, whose commentary I normally enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
49 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I liked it. It felt real old school Night Court. 

I only felt that way about the Dan and !Roz shenanigans. 

1 minute ago, kirinan said:

Also, Melissa needs to dial down the perkiness. It really, really, REALLY is too much.

They need to tone down the other woman's bitchiness. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Positives: I really thought the Dan-and-Gurgs segments were the best. John Larroquette always ups everyone else's game.

Negatives: Too much overacting in one place. I adore Melissa Rauch, I really do, but she and the DA both go too far over the top. There's a time and a place for that in Night Court, but EVERY SINGLE MINUTE THEY'RE ONSCREEN is not it. I can handle them separately, but too much togetherness makes me grit my teeth. Also, Melissa needs to dial down the perkiness. It really, really, REALLY is too much.

I did laugh a couple of times, but it was always as a result of something Dan said or did. Not my favorite episode so far. And as a longtime, rabid, figure skating fan, I was seriously underwhelmed by Tara and Johnny, whose commentary I normally enjoy.

I was thinking about this kind of over-the-top, unsubtle sitcom acting. It's very similar to what I've seen on kiddie sitcoms when I've surfed past Family Channel et al. I understand why you need it for young minds still developing, getting to understand the world and other people, but that style has no business on an adult-facing sitcom, even one suitable for families.

I wonder if it's generational. Today's writers and actors grew up watching that simple writing and strident, obvious acting, and that's how many of them write and act adult-facing material now. Us older folks grew up on more realistic acting and we find it really off-putting, but for them it's just normal.

I think we see it in a lot of newer shows with younger, inexperienced, and/or average quality writers and actors. Think of Addison's overacting in Quantum Leap, and everyone in The Ark.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, kirinan said:

And as a longtime, rabid, figure skating fan, I was seriously underwhelmed by Tara and Johnny, whose commentary I normally enjoy.

It's because it was writers writing Johny and Tara instead of J&T just being J&T...who would never comment on a court case. I think giving them a few quips would have worked better than commentary.

53 minutes ago, kirinan said:

Negatives: Too much overacting in one place. I adore Melissa Rauch, I really do, but she and the DA both go too far over the top. There's a time and a place for that in Night Court, but EVERY SINGLE MINUTE THEY'RE ONSCREEN is not it.

The DA is trying to put on a persona.  She reminds me of Amy Yasbeck in wings, who I loved.  But it worked for Amy.  It feels forced with this actress/character.  If this is the kind of character they wanted, they needed a different actress.

I thought she'd settle in but she hasn't.  Take Gurgs, for instance, who felt forced in the pilot.  But as time has gone on with this week's story and last week's story, things are settling with that character, and she's working for me. I like the idea of the DA but she is not settling in.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

I do like this show and it's one of the few current sitcoms I watch, but it's still finding its groove. I'm confused about why Abby is such a rube. Unless I'm mistaken she grew up in upstate New York, not Hooterville. Also, she's Harry's daughter, so you'd think she'd be a bit more street smart, regardless of where she's from.

I didn't care for Tara and Johnny's bit. As stunt casting goes, I wondered if maybe everyone the show approached first was busy. However, I adored the temporary judge. "I'm going to be making the gavel noise with my mouth. Court is now in session. BANG BANG." Unlikely, but I hope he becomes a recurring character.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

However, I adored the temporary judge. "I'm going to be making the gavel noise with my mouth. Court is now in session. BANG BANG." Unlikely, but I hope he becomes a recurring character.

When he first said that I started to wonder if that was Michael Winslow and he was going to start doing his noise schtick whole episode.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

but that style has no business on an adult-facing sitcom, even one suitable for families.

You know, I think this is why I'm having a problem with the show.  I don't think the original Night Court was considered suitable for families.  It was on at 9:30pm instead of 8pm, and it had an edge and a bite.  Particularly with Dan drooling over everything with two X chromosomes, or characters like Sheila oozing sex, or the practical jokes and oneupsmanship between the characters or teasing people about stuff (like Dan's real name), and snarkiness about the defendants.  This show doesn't have an edge or a bite; apart from the occasional flasher or obscene cupcakes (or Dan hinting he worked at a male strip club, which I loved), and Dan is now a generic cantankerous grandpa with a heart of gold.

I don't know that Original Dan would have given up his dinner so the judge could meet the figure skater people, for instance.  I did like the competition between Dan and Gurgs about who knew the building best; that was old-style Night Court.  Not every episode had to have "heart", so the ones that did ("Dan's Operation") really stuck out.  Now it's all soft and squishy, and kind of boring.  I realize that seems to be the fashion now, and I'm often a fan (I like Ghosts USA, and that's all heart), but that's not Night Court.  Reinhold Weege is likely rolling over in his grave.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

And who is going to tell the executive producer whose baby this show is that she needs to tone down the over emoting?  That's my issue.   The judge needs to be the strongest character.   Melissa Rauch is not bringing it.   But nothing can be done because it is literally her show.   

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

I think we see it in a lot of newer shows with younger, inexperienced, and/or average quality writers and actors. Think of Addison's overacting in Quantum Leap, and everyone in The Ark.

Agree. I haven't seen Quantum Leap, but I only lasted 15 minutes into The Ark and then couldn't take the acting anymore. My husband, who will watch any sci-fi schlock that's available, has been watching it and says the acting hasn't improved at all.

It's possible to go big and yet know when to dial back; John Larroquette offers a master class in that, IMO—and the actors that are lucky enough to be working with him should be paying attention. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

but she and the DA both go too far over the top.

The DA feels like she's doing a parody of a soap opera.

50 minutes ago, opus said:

When he first said that I started to wonder if that was Michael Winslow and he was going to start doing his noise schtick whole episode.

So did I! (I knew it wasn't MW [though I looked a little closer to double check] but maybe he had similar talents. Alas.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

You know, I think this is why I'm having a problem with the show.  I don't think the original Night Court was considered suitable for families.  It was on at 9:30pm instead of 8pm, and it had an edge and a bite.  Particularly with Dan drooling over everything with two X chromosomes, or characters like Sheila oozing sex, or the practical jokes and oneupsmanship between the characters or teasing people about stuff (like Dan's real name), and snarkiness about the defendants.  This show doesn't have an edge or a bite

Could not agree more.  One of my most memorable schticks from the original series was a case where an 80something woman was being charged with prostitution - apparently she was trading tricks for treats at her nursing home:

Mrs. Smith : [about her prostitution]  Sometimes I do it for pudding.

Dan Fielding : Sometimes I do it *in* pudding.

Mrs. Smith : Sometimes I do it for green stamps. And sometimes I do it just for kicks.

Bull Shannon : [to Roz]  Can you imagine degrading yourself for green stamps?

Roz Russell : Sure. By now I would have enough for that sail boat.

Name me one scene of NC’s current incarnation which could hold its own against this 15-20 SECONDS of dialogue from the original.  
G’head, I dare ya.  
Don’t mind me - I’ll just stand over here and wait….

• Like 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ch1 said:

If the reason was good OG Dan would have given up his spot - if it meant he could score brownie points with the judge - absolutely.  

Very true, but this incarnation suggested he did it because he truly wanted Abbie to see her favorites, with no selfish motive for himself.  Or at least that's how I remember it; maybe I missed the subtext, but I don't think so.  And while he might have changed in the years since, that makes him a much less interesting character, and the show much less interesting itself.

Edited by Fosca
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

You know, I think this is why I'm having a problem with the show.  I don't think the original Night Court was considered suitable for families.

To be fair, what was considered “family friendly” in the 80s and “family friendly” today is far different.  I remember watching NC live from season 3 and I was 8 then. Were there things I didn’t get? Absolutely. Just like there were things in Bugs Bunny cartoons I didn’t get. “Family friendly” meant things for kids to laugh at, and things for the grownups to laugh at separately, or for different reasons. NC was dinner time viewing in my house on WGN every night when it went into syndication. (Before that we watched Monty Python reruns. We had good taste in comedy. )

I’ve enjoyed this series so far, including this episode. I agree it needs work though. I’d like more from Neil. Maybe another bailiff or some other main cast member. The only one who absolutely doesn’t work for me is the ADA. I don’t know if that character can be redeemed for me. I would not be sad if they changed there. Hopefully as the series progresses they can grow a stable of frequent flyers, like the reserve judge. But that takes time. And I’m willing to give them time for now. And hopefully they will take note of all the responses to the show and make adjustments. Do we know if the entire season is in the can yet? If not, we could see changes yet this season. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I adored the temporary judge. "I'm going to be making the gavel noise with my mouth. Court is now in session. BANG BANG." Unlikely, but I hope he becomes a recurring character.

Yeah, he said he had judge's elbow, gavel elbow, something like that. 

I saw the original when I was young, and I thought there were a lot of dirty parts especially between Dan and Christine. 

I liked Dan Vs. Gurgs, then her giving him dinner at the end. Abby needs to tone down the gee whiz attitude or NYC is going to eat her alive. Olivia was meh, Neil wasn’t on enough for me to have an opinion this time. 

Edited by Claire85
  • Like 1

I think this show might work much better if it were grounded in some kind of a reality of a court. Abbott works beautifully because it's grounded in a believable day-to-day life of the school. That might also free the actors from having to overact, which would help a lot. 

I wasn't a big original NC fan so I don't remember much about it. "Cheers" I remember by heart. That had an actual bar life to ground it. The staff at the bar was always doing something a real staff would do - serving, cleaning, making drinks, etc. There's none of that in Night Court.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

Could not agree more.  One of my most memorable schticks from the original series was a case where an 80something woman was being charged with prostitution - apparently she was trading tricks for treats at her nursing home:

Mrs. Smith : Sometimes I do it for green stamps. And sometimes I do it just for kicks.

Name me one scene of NC’s current incarnation which could hold its own against this 15-20 SECONDS of dialogue from the original.  
G’head, I dare ya.  

If anyone is unfortunate enough not to recognize this, it is of course the original's classic "A Day in the Life."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

G’head, I dare ya.  

None and the funniest part of that scene was when she bought in character witnesses in wheelchairs:

Harry:  Mr. Reynolds, were all these men as happy as that before they met Mrs. Smith?

Mr. Reynolds: No, but they could all WALK.

I don’t think the current writers have anywhere near the talent to come up with an episode like the Day in the Life episodes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Granted, that was four seasons in so the show had had a lot of time to come together, but still, that whole episode is a lesson in deadpan brilliance.

It also shows that Night Court wasn't really grounded in reality at all, or at least the show was happy to throw reality away for a joke.  I just watched some of that episode (I'd watch more, but I'm supposed to be working) and the "Day in the Life" episodes are basically a place to put the jokes that can't sustain more than a few minutes without flopping.  Like the magician; that couldn't keep going for longer than they gave it without beating us over the head with it and removing all the humor.

It also showed that Harry might be wacky, but he's not naive or stupid.  I find myself wondering how Abbie made it through law school, much less become a judge.  It might be a bit of "dumb blonde" stereotyping, but she doesn't seem particularly bright.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Yeah Abby needs to tone down the Mary Sunshine All The Time Perkiness.   The DA had it right -- BOUNDARIES between work and personal.   Granted its tv so we will never see regular interactions outside the core group, but at least it got MENTIONED.

Also as noted, she is from UpState NY which is not Hooterville.   They have cities there.   It's not all corn mazes and snow.   But that goes with the perkiness.   Because country = eternal optimist and city = jaded and cynical.   

Did love the case with the blind lady and the service mini horse.   Although they telegraphed she would slip up and prove she could see.   But NC Original (NCO) would have telegraphed it too.   It still would have been hilarious to watch.   Literally that whole scene could have been done with Harry, Dan and Christine and have the same lines with the same effect.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

"You're not a real NYer til you buy a hammer, a rat trap and an egg sandwich from a bodega at 1am" 😂😂😂 

Gurgs officially my favorite because I live in NYC and have said something like that for years. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
22 hours ago, fishcakes said:

However, I adored the temporary judge. "I'm going to be making the gavel noise with my mouth. Court is now in session. BANG BANG." Unlikely, but I hope he becomes a recurring character.

That was Gary Anthony Williams, who I remember from the most recent version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", the version hosted by Aisha Tyler.  I didn't recognize him at first, because he's lost quite a bit of weight since then, but he's always funny.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
26 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

That was Gary Anthony Williams, who I remember from the most recent version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", the version hosted by Aisha Tyler.  I didn't recognize him at first, because he's lost quite a bit of weight since then, but he's always funny.

Oh thank you! That's where I've seen him before. He does look completely different now.

• Like 3

Now this was a good episode if Night Court. It brought the wacky like the original show did. Liked Dan vs Gurgs a great deal. Larroquette always delivers and I've felt that the Gurgs character has fit in from the beginning with the tone of Night Court. She is easily the best of the new characters. 

Again, Olivia has potential but is too over-the-top and that characterization doesn't feel earned. Can't blame her for nor wanting to spend time with Abby. She needs to tone it down as well.

Hope the guest judge returns. I actually laughed out loud when he said he was gonna make the gavel sound with his mouth.

They finally used my suggestion that Dan would be familiar with places like that erotic bakery though the big about having a career before Night Court was an unexpected line that delivered. 

Definitely appreciate a Randy Savage shout out. 

Edited by benteen
  • Like 4

My main complaint currently is I just don't get Abby's story. New York does have a fair share of Hooterville places, to be sure, but the leap from how she was doing something somewhere Hooterville-ish upstate, maybe as a local judge, to being appointed to one of a limited number of open seats by a NYC mayor...I know we aren't supposed to let reality control during a silly sitcom, but I can't help it. Harry's origin worked--he was a lawyer who was the only one to pick up the phone when the mayor was desperately trying to fill seats on his last day in office. 

Of course, there's always time to flesh out Abby's story. Maybe she was in rehab with the mayor's kid or Roz is the mayor's appointment secretary or anything. It just impacts on my suspension of disbelief, as a cranky old new york lawyer, when they aren't making simple connections. 

I feel sort of the same way about Olivia. It was good a couple eps ago when the BigLaw storyline was giving her some motivation for what she did, but does she want to be an ADA? Does she want money, fame, to get the bad guys, to be in court, etc? 

So the train ep was okay for me in that it gave them both something to do, and let them flesh out personalities/credentials a bit, but I'm still that annoying fan that wants a "why" to it all. 

• Like 3