Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: You Dropped a Bomb on Me

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Dom doesn’t seem as fun living as she portrays herself to be.  

The way the show describes Dom and the way I perceive her are really different. The show says she’s this fun-loving old soul, and I don’t see either of those things in her.

• Like 9

If you remove the adjectives, Gina said I'm not usually attracted to [this feature] and Clint said I'm usually more attracted to [that feature]. I think they're equally guilty and Gina struck first. But Clint shouldn't have said it in front of the whole group. 

Mackinley (McKinley? Makinely?) has a weird sense of humor. I don't really like Dominique (Dominik?) but I can see why she has a hard time with him. 

• Like 6

I actually think a sense of humor is what is needed when one is married at first sight.  So, it's interesting to me that a couple of wives have told their husbands about not appreciating their humor.  I would think it would lessen tension.

I am Team Clint (which doesn't mean I think he is great or anything) as Gina went there first and then she did the 'I'm mad at you but not going to tell you why' move for the rest of the evening until she brought it up the next day.  She did try to backtrack her initial insult with her "I have a lot of ginger clients" etc., but what that has to do with not being attracted to red-heads I have no idea.

Dom really sees herself as adventurous and fun, but only when it is on her terms.  

I think Jasmine is surprised that Airris isn't falling all over her.

I think Chris and Nicole could be in it for the long haul (oh, and I am one who doesn't do laundry that often, but do have tons of underwear, clothes, towels, sheets, etc.).

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

She did try to backtrack her initial insult with her "I have a lot of ginger clients" etc., but what that has to do with not being attracted to red-heads I have no idea.

Right. “Redheads pay me!” Girl, stop.

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

The only likable people to me this season are Chris, Nicole, Jasmine and Shaq. I don’t like the way Dom puts down Mac’s sense of humor and his desire to sometimes hang at the beach. When I go on vacation sometimes I do an activity and sometimes I hang on the beach with a book and a margarita. There is no right and wrong. 

Gina is the type that can dish it out but not take it although I don’t like Clint either. Airiss ( not sure of spelling) seems kind of cold and only interested in sex. Kirsten doesn’t like her spouse but I think she is putting in a little effort. I really would like to know why the experts paired these people because I don’t see much in the way of connections. Nicole and Chris might make it but I suspect she will be to bossy snd controlling in the long run.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

If you remove the adjectives, Gina said I'm not usually attracted to [this feature] and Clint said I'm usually more attracted to [that feature]. I think they're equally guilty and Gina struck first. But Clint shouldn't have said it in front of the whole group. 

Mackinley (McKinley? Makinely?) has a weird sense of humor. I don't really like Dominique (Dominik?) but I can see why she has a hard time with him. 

we don't know what conversations took place before this, so it is possible that Clint said something first that set Gina off and had her make this comment and the producers want us to think it went the way we see it edited

Just now, Madding crowd said:

The only likable people to me this season are Chris, Gina, Jasmine and Shaq.

i agree about these people but i think i like nicole too, though her wanting chris to say he loves her already is probably not a good thing for their relationship........give the poor guy some time

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I never thought Ginger was derogatory at all and I’m married to one, but maybe it’s the way you use it. 

I have heard it used derogatorily; for some reason there are people who feel that having fair skin, red hair and freckles is "ugly" and they categorize redheads as such. Gina used that approach when she said, "I was never attracted to ginger features; and you are one." While I get that his saying "normally I'm attracted to slender women who are athletic" can imply that she "isn't slender enough;" I still think she and the girls took it all a step further and were referring to her body directly and then, in a step further, their bodies. Women are generally more conscious of their bodies, I think, than men. But that shouldn't give her license to say, basically, that she isn't attracted to his looks and then be very offended by him saying he is normally attracted to a different look. And she could have used the opportunity with the group to say, "well, we were discussing before that we both have different physical attributes that we've found most attractive in the past." But she used it as a reason to not only be super offended, but to rally all of the women to talk about what a terrible person Clint is.  I think he has a point that she is starting to look for an out. I'm not terribly impressed with him, but on this matter I'm team Clint.

As for all the talk of the salon, I know others here think she is a proud businesswoman and has a right to be; still, being a one-note Charlie in conversation can be a huge turnoff.  

I'm starting to see the sort of blank, polite smiles in Domynyque and Jasmine that are tell-tale signs of "the excitement is wearing off and I'm getting second thoughts".  

I think Nicole and Chris could make it, but previews are gearing up for possible trouble- in some ways they are both a little too emotionally fragile with bad relationship histories that may not bode well. I think Airris and Jasmine are already in the not-good friend zone. And Kirsten is already pulling Shaq's personality apart so I'm not hopeful about them either.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

One would think that this many seasons into this show, the "experts" would have learned some things about matching people beyond "they're both religious and family is important to them. Like the pet situation.  Why wouldn't you ask if the person likes dogs, cats, snakes or whatever? And why would you match someone who doesn't like dogs with a dog breeder? Even if both have dogs, that's no guarantee the dogs will get along. And then you have poor whatzis-name -- the tall guy -- from last season, who had to give up his dog to be with the awful, self-centered mess they matched him with. And why would you match a guy who professes to like slim women with a curvy girl? At this point, I can only think these matches are being done SPECIFICALLY for conflict...and that's just cruel.

From the other perspective, you'd think that all these seasons in, people would know that these experts don't know jack and this "marriage" is as much a crapshoot as going to a bar, getting drunk, and going to city hall with the first person who's willing to carry on a conversation.

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

Chiming in as a redhead who grew up in N.Ireland but is now in the US (for many years). Ginger is definitely derogatory in the UK, LennieBriscoe is correct. Example, kick a ginge day. It isn't thought of the same way here for now but definitely the way she said it was not at all complimentary.  Also would like to see proof of the 26in. Hate that I am defending Clint!

I did not know that! I am in the US and have said ginger and never meant it to be derogatory but I will stop. Beyond "red-headed stepchild" being a bad thing, I wasn't aware that red hair was anything to look down on. I love it (mousy brown here).

Chris does laundry once a month? I guess that's why he wore a tank top and swimming trunks to bed on his wedding night. And probably why he only sex three times in a prior 18 month relationship.

I hoped he just owned sufficient clothes to not run out.

And Gina does not come across as athletic or slim.

I somewhat disagree. Gina is not skinny. She also is not heavy. I don't think she is particularly athletic but more because she seems to be one that always has hair, nails and makeup done. I don't envision her sweating or getting dirty. None of the ladies this season are heavy though none of them meet the super-skinny beauty standard our society values so much. I think that super-skinny body type is what Clint is attracted to and I did have a sense that he attaches judgement to anyone who doesn't have it. I really did NOT agree with his equating "slim" and "athletic." Most of the skinny women I see don't look like they could hit a ball or lift a weight without snapping in half.

I think Nicole and Chris will be the only possible long term match.

I agree. I think that Shaq and Kirsten could possibly work if Kirsten were a little less... herself. I had a little hope for them when they were dancing on the beach together, but I think her constant criticism of him is going to wear him down and I'm not sure she will get over her lack of initial physical attraction to him.

• Like 4

I had no idea ginger was an insult. I used to work with a redhead who used “ginger” to refer to herself, often. I think red hair is so cool (though that particular coworker was really annoying).

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 3

Clint is a “ginger”?  He has brown hair and pink skin…he has freckles but that could be sun damage from all the sailing.   I’ve watched this on a couple different tv sets and I do not see red hair at all.  
Is Gina on the show solely to promote her salon? 
Airris is dead behind the eyes and so immature.  He’s in his late 30s but never been in love and all about hooking up.  
Dom…I started out liking her, but something is rubbing me the wrong way.  She’s young and seems rigid, her way or the Highway.  Maybe I’m just too negative lol. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
On 2/9/2023 at 2:00 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Particularly when the declaration isn't immediately followed by one of "But that's before I met Miss Va-Va-Va-Voom here!" 

Same could be said about what she said about Gingers. From what we saw, she didn't compliment him. They're both bad with words and say stupid things. 😒😒

Edited by Lindz
  • Like 3

Oh goodie. Mrs. No Boundaries is disappointed Mr. Freak hasn't made a move. 🤣🤣 I'm highly suspicious of both those soundbites of mashed together audio without some video. 🧐 How many times are they going to say, "bomb"?! That was all they talked about this episode. Funny how Jas flipped what he said about Nicole not liking Chris on him... & it seems to be true. He's straight lying about progressing things & it's disturbing. Doesn't he realize he'll actually have to back up what he says?!! Delaying telling the truth only makes things worse. No way he could lie his way til DD. Ya. Truth comes out eventually & I hope Kirsten told her right after she heard. Jas is lying too agreeing they're going at a comfortable pace. Airris only cares about what he wants, selfish fool. & Jas is going along with it. 😒😒

• Like 2

Chris & Nic's hammock convo was BIG TIME TMI!!!! Typical Chris, just putting info out there with no explanation & making himself look crazy! Was the 18 month relationship with that the same girl he talked about that vacation with? EXPLAIN WHY IT HAPPENED, WHY YOU WENT ALONG WITH IT!!! AH!!!

• Like 2

Airris is totally different from their wedding day. He went from saying he'd muster up the strength to consummate his marriage on his wedding night, AFTER he met his wife, to saying being like that didn't work for him in the past. SUSPICIOUS!!! Seems like he's just saying what sounds good. What could be plausible & makes sense. He's pulling back because he's not attracted to her & lying to her face about it. AWFUL!!!

Edited by Lindz
  • Like 2

Gina said he should read the room. The room was honestly discussing issues the couples are having. There was no reason for anyone else to be personally insulted if Clint prefers thinner more petite woman. If he said he prefers blondes should any brunettes take offense? I suspect however he only said that out of anger and hurt. He did initially say he was sorry for offending anyone but why should he be sorry he said it? Gina new telling Clint she doesn't find his looks appealing 2nd day of honey moon was going to be a crushing blow to his ego. Most woman in the past haven't recovered from such a blow. Besides if she owns a salon she can change his hair later. She's the artist.

I didn't see any upcoming scenes with them in it so may its over and done.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

If you watch The Bachelor, and compare body types to these women, they are vastly different.  Clint is looking for the girls who show up for The Bachelor; Gina is the girl you meet every day, who is probably too busy making ends meet to work out or meal prep constantly.  

His comments were rude and hurtful, and no, I'm not excusing her ginger comments either.  

We can all say, well he was just being honest.  

But before you say something, ask yourself these questions:  Is it true?  Is it necessary?  Is it kind?  If it's not all three, then keep your mouth shut.

Hurt people hurt people.  

These are two people who hit below the belt, and then one huffs off while the other blames.  What a pair.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I had no idea ginger was an insult. I used to work with a redhead who used “ginger” to refer to herself, often. I think red hair is so cool (though that particular coworker was really annoying).

Is she cooed and said how wonderful his ginger hair is while running her fingers through his locks I'm sure he would preened around and loved it. When you tell your new husband you aren't attracted to it...that's a hard blow. Still as a 40 year old man he should have taken the challenge and showed her what he's made of. Then dump her at the end of 8 weeks. 

I'm glad the show is only an hour and a half now. The editing is sharper. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

we don't know what conversations took place before this, so it is possible that Clint said something first that set Gina off and had her make this comment and the producers want us to think it went the way we see it edited.

They showed the conversation that led to the friction between Clint and Gina.  Clint said he thought the experts did a good job of putting them together.  Gina disagreed and said that she didn't want to be matched with a "Ginger" and went off on her rant.  

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Lindz said:

Chris told the guys Nic holds his hand more than he'd like. Bahaha. That's funny that was his "complaint."

I thought it was a bit of a red flag and his way of saying that she might smother him.  She should also stop asking him if he loves her.  They are both way too needy and I hope that works in their favor but I'm not sure it will.

• Like 7

Ok Chris & Nic are going overboard with their chatting. Do they feel compelled to discuss something whenever there's a camera or what?! Talking about being afraid she'll think he's lazy, not doing laundry or changing sheets often & pet peeves...while cayaking? Chill out!

• Like 3

In regards to the discussion about "gingers" and whether it's an offensive term - especially in the U.S.:

Orange tabby cats are referred to as gingers, and the joke about ginger cats is they collectively have one brain cell. There are websites devoted to owners of gingers where they post pictures of their cat doing stupid things, tagged with some variation of "Obviously he didn't have the brain cell today". (80% of orange tabby cats are male.)

Orange tabbies are known for continuing to have episodes of the "zoomies" several times a day well into their senior years - they typically don't settle down and slow down until they're physically incapable of zooming anymore 

My own ginger, Nicodemus von Wittykitty (Nico), is 9 years old, and is still wreaking havoc 3-5X a day.

A few days ago, my daughter - who's a public health epidemiologist - was in a Zoom meeting with a client when Nico decided that was an excellent time to do some zooming of his own.

He made several "full steam ahead" passes from my bedroom, across the hallway, through the dining room, and over the half wall into the living room (where my daughter was working) and back again. 

On his last pass, he somehow unplugged our Wifi router. (We're still not sure how he did it.)

My daughter's client was talking at the time - and then suddenly (from the client's perspective) - my daughter simply disappeared. <sigh>

Here's my point:

in the U.S., we joke about ginger cats being stupid. (They aren't, of course. But there are people who believe this to be true). So, if ginger fur  is equated to a lack of intelligence in cats, wouldn't ginger hair on humans likewise indicate intellectual challenges? 

This is how something that started as a joke can have unforseen consequences. And it's yet another reason why some red-headed humans find the term "ginger" offensive. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Changed one word.
  • Useful 3

At least we now know why there were no sparks when Gina and Clint rode the elevator together in the past.

3 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

for some reason there are people who feel that having fair skin, red hair and freckles is "ugly" and they categorize redheads as such.

On the after-show, Keisha was asking Clint if "ginger" was a derogatory term, and his explanation was exactly what you said:  "ginger" connotes pale skin, red hair, and freckles, and that's not typically thought of as attractive. 

She was also harshing on Clint, but as noted by others, Gina did the same thing (and it was this hypocrisy Clint was citing on the aftershow).  But Kirsten did it, too, with respect to Shaq's bald head. 

And how's this for irony--Airris says Jasmine is beautiful, but he's not attracted to her because her ass isn't big enough. 

4 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't think she is particularly athletic

But she said she's athletic, and huffed that Clint doesn't know how much she works out.  Then again, she also said she has a 26" waist. 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Arris and Jasmine!  He's been frozen in place since she announced they will be living with 200 dogs when they return home!  She's a breeder!  He's a non dog person!

Finished.

Yeah but she doesn’t look like she is too much into him either by her facial expressions when he is talking in his weird monotone, more than a few times she looked like she was barely holding back eyerolls 🙄

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So many struggle conversations! USE YOUR WORDS! EXPLAIN YOURSELF! Airris said, "this is awkward." WHAT IS AWKWARD?!?!!! Then Jas said it's not awkward. She rolled her eyes twice because he said stupid stuff & she said she was afraid of falling in love with him & him not falling in love with her. A little soon for all that is what he should've said, but said nothing to calm that fear. Just lied about them progressing & being all in. 😒😒

• Like 3

WHY IS MAC LYING?!!!! That's not cute or funny! Why say all that stuff about riding horses?!?! Just WEIRD! These guys seem to be "joking" as a distraction from really getting to know them & be "liked" by being "funny." Idk. That's my guess. It's just annoying & weird. Why would he say it was a good day except for him being there & participating?!?! I totally understand why she stopped filming. Is he just mad he got crap on him or participating regardless? Just stupid to say. BE POSITIVE!!! Why Shaq would joke about Kirsten struggling with her bag, asking for help & instead of helping, laughing at it later is beyond me. How did he think that's a good look?!! RIDICULOUS! That isn't funny. & him talking over her when she said she didn't like his humor sometimes... Um. DEFENSIVE MUCH?!?! He wouldn't listen to what she said, she had to repeat herself & then he was okay with it. Again. WEIRDO! WTF is wrong with him?! Ya. It's another ding from her, but come on! It's like he went into sabotage mode & lashed out to push her away because he was hurt. He didn't want to hear anything else. I'm surprised he stopped fighting & gave in.

• Like 3

So nobody checked Clint? Too scared or weak? Got it. Mac was the only one, that we saw, that even said anything. Pathetic. Say what he said wasn't cool & he should apologize. Geez. He backpedalled & said it's not about her body, it's about her always talking about the salon. HUH?!!! He really says inappropriate things. About blowing out backs. Boy did he run with that. It's like he learned a new phrase & took every opportunity to use it. He really asked Airris that around the group? WTF is wrong with him?! I disagree with Nic's statement about "real, natural" bodies. "Slender & athletic" is also natural for people with those genes. Mac really said he didn't believe Clint's had women better looking than Gina! LOL! That editing of him saying Gina was sexy was bizarre, like it was randomly played there. Clint actually lectured Chris about standing up for himself & Mac about being himself. So wise. 🤪

Edited by Lindz
  • LOL 1

What a great note to end the episode on! That BS argument! So Clint deflected saying Ginger is offensive, not that HE was offended? Like: I said this bad thing, but you said this bad thing! Of course she'd bring up her salon in their argument! 🤣 She was saying she works on redheads & they're not offended by Ginger not about "vibing" with them. Clint really had the audacity to say her walking away wasn't "adult." GTFOH! He was talking so much nonsense at the end about her "losing"... WHAT?!?!! It's not win/lose FOOL!!! He sounded so ridiculous. He wanted to explain & say that wasn't his intent instead of properly apologize. He gave an empty apology, just like she did. What did she want??? He might be right about her using this as an excuse to quit, but to throw him under the bus to make her feel better? Nah. She did keep saying she was too busy & only focused on her career so it makes her look strange. He threw out everything to make her look bad, saying she's there to promote her salon. That should've been on the aftershow. I'm surprised they didn't show what Nic said or more of what the women said. Of course Airris wasn't confronted about what he asked Jas the previous episode, nor why he's lying to her face. Again with "advice" about things getting better...like the season hasn't already wrapped. WHY that nonsense?!?!! 

11 hours ago, Lindz said:

Airris is totally different from their wedding day. He went from saying he'd muster up the strength to consummate his marriage on his wedding night,

His "blow out her back" comment is out there now, maybe he's afraid he can't back it up? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I find Jasmine to be the most attractive of the women and I think Airris saying he isn't really attracted to her is just a way of avoiding commitment. If you are 39 and have never been in love, it's because you haven't let yourself get there. Also, I keep hearing about how obsessed with sex he is yet he won't have sex with Jasmine? I'm sure he's been with much less attractive women than her so something is up.

• Like 3

And, once again, we understand why these participants hadn't found someone to marry before applying for this show.  Requirements for their exact physical preferences.  Requirements for type/amount of humor.  Requirements about neediness.  Requirements for their spouses to conform to them rather than both spouses being willing to compromise.

Yep, all of the factors are there.  Every season it's the same, we hear 'what I have been trying hasn't worked so I'm willing to try this' when in reality they mean 'I want what I want and I expect the experts to give me exactly what I want-whether it works for me or not, I want it (and I want it now...).'

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

All of these participants are, in a way, victims of the times they are living in.   Previous generations knew how to converse, conversation was an art.   They would never say anything to insult or be inappropriately blunt and clueless.   Second, women were thinner than what the average is now.   One rarely saw shapes like these girls have unless it was a woman who had children and was older.  It probably has to do with the junk food and lots of eating out, etc.  As someone mentioned earlier, the women on the Bachelor don't look like this, so it's possible in this day and age, but not easy.    Please don't hate me, I'm an old lady now, but I see the difference so clearly because I lived at a time that was very different.  This doesn't mean things were great and there wasn't injustice - it merely refers to the way people were raised to interact in social situations.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I vaguely recalled "ginger" being derogatory as a kid and pale, freckled, redheads not being the peak of attractiveness. To check, I did what marginalized groups are instructing majority groups to do all the time as part of doing the work and Googled. Ginger's origins in reference to a person's appearance were derogatory and in fact, it was once something that only those who fit the category could use among each other or call themselves and not be seen as a put down.

Makes sense because the term "red headed stepchild" has to come from somewhere. 

Over time and with the popularity of people like Prince Harry, it's probably lost its sting for many but I can understand someone who fits the category not feeling that way.

Lastly, it doesn't matter. If someone tells me that referring to them by a certain term is not acceptable to them, then I stop without qualification. Explaining how they shouldn't feel upset is not an acceptable option. Empress1, this is not to say you meant that. I just his quote and now I realize it might seem I specifically mean I personally believe you said something wrong.

Edited by red12
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, red12 said:

Empress1, this is not to say you meant that. I just his quote and now I realize it might seem I specifically mean I personally believe you said something wrong.

No offense taken. I never called her, or any redhead, anything other than her name. She would call herself a ginger though - she’d say things like “nothing gets my ginger rage up like [pet peeve].” 

Regardless, hearing someone tell you apropos of nothing that they’re not attracted to you hurts, so I get why Clint was stung.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Lindz said:

So nobody checked Clint? Too scared or weak? Got it. Mac was the only one, that we saw, that even said anything. Pathetic. Say what he said wasn't cool & he should apologize. Geez. He backpedalled & said it's not about her body, it's about her always talking about the salon. HUH?!!! He really says inappropriate things. About blowing out backs. Boy did he run with that. It's like he learned a new phrase & took every opportunity to use it. He really asked Airris that around the group? WTF is wrong with him?! I disagree with Nic's statement about "real, natural" bodies. "Slender & athletic" is also natural for people with those genes. Mac really said he didn't believe Clint's had women better looking than Gina! LOL! That editing of him saying Gina was sexy was bizarre, like it was randomly played there. Clint actually lectured Chris about standing up for himself & Mac about being himself. So wise. 🤪

All of these people (as presented) range from mildly poor to terrible communicators. They can't even express themselves between the couples let alone as a group. The women felt much more comfortable getting together "for girl talk" and putting a battery in Gina's back to confront Clint about their own feelings about what he said instead of voicing their thoughts themselves. 

I also agree with you about the "real, natural" bodies comments. I believe, like most comments that really pierce us, Clint's statements about what is normally his physical type were taken personally because they hit on an area of insecurity the women already held about themselves in some form. If he said, "most of my ex's were brunettes, with small breasts and bobs" we would not have heard loops and loops of conversations about insulting women who are bottle blonds with augmentations, extensions or natural, curvy chests. 

Yeah, that comment from Mac will come back to smack him in the face too. It definitely was random and felt like a set up for a later event. 
And like Shaquille, I still want an answer from Kirsten about what she does like about him.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, red12 said:

I believe, like most comments that really pierce us, Clint's statements about what is normally his physical type were taken personally because they hit on an area of insecurity the women already held about themselves in some form. If he said, "most of my ex's were brunettes, with small breasts and bobs" we would not have heard loops and loops of conversations about insulting women who are bottle blonds with augmentations, extensions or natural, curvy chests.

Yeah, I’m pretty happy with my appearance but if a man I was dating said he preferred women with big butts, it would probably sting. I don’t have one and I won’t unless I buy it, which I won’t do. (Yes, I do squats.) 

Given that none of the women except Jasmine are particularly slim and Gina in particular said something about learning to embrace her curves when gown-shopping, I think a lot of them were reacting because they don’t have the “slender athletic” body type Clint referenced.

(None of the men are out here in Magic Mike shape either. This is a season of pretty regular-looking folks.)

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 7

That argument between Clint and Gina....whoooo boy.  I think arguments are a very good indicator of compatibility; healthy, respectful arguments/discussions are a necessary part of a partnership, IMO.  But when either one of you is unkind or "messy" when you argue, I don't think it can work long-term.

Neither Clint nor Gina came out of that looking kind or respectful...like so many of you, I say their "experiment" is DOA. 

• Like 6

I really think that the producers pick one couple they think will really make it. The rest are all cast for drama. I don't think "the experts" have anything to do with the selection, other than the producers give them the list and they do the pairings with what info they have. The producers do NOT want to really make couples work or else there wouldn't be any surprises with who wants kids/pets, etc. The shallow "requirements" like no bald men or no red hair I think they do ignore because if it is the right person, those can be overlooked. If these people can't widen their perspectives outside of their "Santa Lists," which they have never gotten, they will never find real love. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2023 at 11:09 PM, Adeejay said:

Airris and Jasmine's situation reminds me of Will and Jasmine's (Philly); in that Will and Airris appeared to be happy with their match until they saw Kristine and Kirsten, respectively.  One reason why I don't like the couples honeymooning and hanging out together.  

You are so right.

You know Airris was probably checking out Kirsten's backside.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
43 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I really think that the producers pick one couple they think will really make it. The rest are all cast for drama. I don't think "the experts" have anything to do with the selection, other than the producers give them the list and they do the pairings with what info they have. The producers do NOT want to really make couples work or else there wouldn't be any surprises with who wants kids/pets, etc. The shallow "requirements" like no bald men or no red hair I think they do ignore because if it is the right person, those can be overlooked. If these people can't widen their perspectives outside of their "Santa Lists," which they have never gotten, they will never find real love. 

I agree with this. I think they want one actual match per season, the rest are for drama. Though I get the feeling producers were hoping for more of a mismatch with Nicole and Chris with her big personality and hoping they clashed. But they seem to really appreciate qualities in each other that past partners didn't.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Second, women were thinner than what the average is now.   One rarely saw shapes like these girls have unless it was a woman who had children and was older.  It probably has to do with the junk food and lots of eating out, etc.  As someone mentioned earlier, the women on the Bachelor don't look like this, so it's possible in this day and age, but not easy. 

I totally disagree. If you look at movie stars from the 50’s (Marilyn Monroe, Jean Harlow, Jane Mansfield, etc) they much more closely resemble the ladies on MAFS this season than they do the size 0 ladies that a Bachelor-esque standard of beauty promotes. 

While it is true that the size 0 is possible for some people to attain, it’s not possible for many, no matter how much time they have for meal prep or exercise nor is it particularly healthy. Many, many people starve themselves or become ill with eating disorders trying to attain this ideal. Thinking of people like the ladies on this season as somehow overweight or large only perpetuates this unrealistic ideal.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
21 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I suspect however he only said that out of anger and hurt.

I agree. I think Clint was genuinely hurt and was lashing out at Gina. Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it and Gina was abrupt and had no sensitivity when she told Clint why she wasn't attracted to him. As for Clint, his timing sucked. He should of told Gina his attraction to slender and athletic right after her insults and not waited until they were in front of the group. 

I know this is an unpopular opinion here but I kind of like Clint. At least he has a personality and was willing to try to make it work. Until now. 

Also UO but I can't stand Gina. She's self centered and conceited. And no, Gina you are not slim by any stretch of the imagination. 

All that said, Clint was on the after show and looked great. He was dressed nice, his hair was groomed nicely and he genuinely acknowledged his mistake with Gina. Would she be so likely to do that? I think not. She doesn't think she does any wrong. 

• Like 12
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I totally disagree. If you look at movie stars from the 50’s (Marilyn Monroe, Jean Harlow, Jane Mansfield, etc) they much more closely resemble the ladies on MAFS this season than they do the size 0 ladies that a Bachelor-esque standard of beauty promotes. 

While it is true that the size 0 is possible for some people to attain, it’s not possible for many, no matter how much time they have for meal prep or exercise nor is it particularly healthy. Many, many people starve themselves or become ill with eating disorders trying to attain this ideal. Thinking of people like the ladies on this season as somehow overweight or large only perpetuates this unrealistic ideal.

I'm not talking about movie stars, but average everyday women.   Girls I went to school with and worked with mostly weighed in the 120's and were average height.  The stars you mentioned didn't have arms & waists as big as these MFS girls.   Most 50's stars were small - Grace Kelly, Doris Day, Elizabeth Taylor (got heavy later), Dorothy Dandridge, etc.  I certainly don't think people should starve themselves or get an eating disorder, I'm merely comparing what we have today in manners and appearance to what life was like in the past.   The population in general is more obese, this is a known fact, not being judgemental just observing.

• Like 6

The population in general is more obese, this is a known fact, not being judgemental just observing.

I've read that and I believe it, but I'm honestly surprised and saddened that any of the women on this season are considered "heavy" by any measure. I don't think that our culture really promoted size zero skinny as a beauty ideal until the Kate Moss days (early 90's), to our detriment. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I find Jasmine to be the most attractive of the women and I think Airris saying he isn't really attracted to her is just a way of avoiding commitment. If you are 39 and have never been in love, it's because you haven't let yourself get there. Also, I keep hearing about how obsessed with sex he is yet he won't have sex with Jasmine? I'm sure he's been with much less attractive women than her so something is up.

I think he's intimidated by her beauty and poise. His type is probably more on the raunchy side. 

He's more of a f-boy whose mom does his laundry and he knows Jasmine can do better than that.

Just my opinion 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 8

The Marilyn Monroe generation was still much slimmer than these ladies.  I speak as someone who is in the same size range as these ladies, so I'm not throwing shade at them.

But when I was growing up in the 70's/80's, girls were much much slimmer than today's average.  I put together a collage recently of old HS/college pics, and there wasn't a girl in them that was larger than today's size 6.  I remember crying the day I was over 120 lbs in college, thinking I was huge (lol, would love to weigh that now).

The food didn't have all the garbage preservatives & chemicals, we didn't eat nearly as often, we had sit-down family meals, and our noses weren't stuck in phones all day.

That said, this group of ladies personifies what's really going on with women today, and these were the women the experts chose.  

I happen to think they are all lovely.

I love, for example, Kirsten's body.  Watching her dance, I found her body to be beautiful.

But Clint's comments were mean-spirited and rude, no way about it.  So were Gina's, about his hair color.  Two wrongs do not make a right.

It was the intention with which the thing was said.  Gina wasn't lovingly calling Clint a "Ginger", she was saying she's not attracted to "Gingers".  She didn't say "But I find your coloring so attractive".  Nope, she just let him know she wasn't attracted to it.

Clint wasn't lovingly saying that Gina has a great figure, he was saying he's always dated slim.  He didn't couch it in a compliment to her.  Both comments were not said in nice, complimentary ways.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2023 at 11:43 PM, Blissfool said:

26 inch waist?

Hmmmm....🤔

I'm gonna need Kirsten to pull out her tape measure next week.

Yeah that was ridiculous. Trying to act like she is athletic is silly, too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

The Marilyn Monroe generation was still much slimmer than these ladies.  I speak as someone who is in the same size range as these ladies, so I'm not throwing shade at them.

But when I was growing up in the 70's/80's, girls were much much slimmer than today's average.  I put together a collage recently of old HS/college pics, and there wasn't a girl in them that was larger than today's size 6.  I remember crying the day I was over 120 lbs in college, thinking I was huge (lol, would love to weigh that now).

The food didn't have all the garbage preservatives & chemicals, we didn't eat nearly as often, we had sit-down family meals, and our noses weren't stuck in phones all day.

That said, this group of ladies personifies what's really going on with women today, and these were the women the experts chose.  

I happen to think they are all lovely.

I love, for example, Kirsten's body.  Watching her dance, I found her body to be beautiful.

But Clint's comments were mean-spirited and rude, no way about it.  So were Gina's, about his hair color.  Two wrongs do not make a right.

It was the intention with which the thing was said.  Gina wasn't lovingly calling Clint a "Ginger", she was saying she's not attracted to "Gingers".  She didn't say "But I find your coloring so attractive".  Nope, she just let him know she wasn't attracted to it.

Clint wasn't lovingly saying that Gina has a great figure, he was saying he's always dated slim.  He didn't couch it in a compliment to her.  Both comments were not said in nice, complimentary ways.

My tiny, tiny two granddaughters wanted to try on my wedding dress.  They are both double 00 in size.  Neither tiny girl could button it up!

I think our bones were smaller back then!  I remember being 5'8" and weighing 112!

Take me home country roads...lol!  😯

• Like 3
  • LOL 2