Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

UK Air Date: February 12, 2023
US Air Date: April 30, 2023

Everyone is looking forward to Trixie and Matthew's wedding and a bonny baby competition brings the community together. It's not all good news, however, as the team learn about a pregnant woman and her family living in a cramped caravan, while a worrying disease outbreak directly impacts the residents of Nonnatus House.

Love the pictures of all the families in Poplar.  Not sure how I feel about Sister Monica Joan being deathly ill again.  They seem unwilling to let the character go, so it's hard to know whether to take her being in peril seriously.

I did think the "I've been keeping a secret child from you for decades" plotline wrapped up way too easily.   

• Like 12
On 4/10/2023 at 5:25 AM, txhorns79 said:

I did think the "I've been keeping a secret child from you for decades" plotline wrapped up way too easily.   

Yep, that was one of the stories where the show pushed the saccharin button way too hard. That 'child' is a grown man with Hepatitis B (IIRC) and a drug problem. Those things (not to mention the long history of emotional and physical abuse) can't resolved by a hug. Maybe we have to assume the family made sure that he got all the help he needed. It was a story that required a lot more breathing space than the show could afford to give.

• Like 18
Spoiler

Scenes they cut out:

They cut part of the scene with The Turners and Miss Higgins.  She tells him that they've added some more conditions to the reportable list which will make more work for them. Dr. Turner says it's fascinating stuff that covers everything from food poisoning to leprosy. Shelagh says they haven't had a case of leprosy in a long time. Patrick says too bad the same can't be said of hepatitis.  He says they need to keep track of everyone that's come into contact with someone with hepatitis.  Miss Higgins says she will do so.

They cut a scene right before Shelagh goes to see Mrs. Mason.  The owner of the building where the Irish couple is squatting sees the broken lock and calls the police.

They cut a scene right after Shelagh sees Mrs. Mason.  Nancy asks Trixie if Matthew can help her find Paul and Imelda.  Trixie says yes, but that is more than likely because they've just moved on.  Nancy says she thinks she may have scared them off because she told them they couldn't have a homebirth.

They cut the second part of the scene with Nancy, Matthew, Trixie, and Sr. Monica Joan.  When Trixie comes down, she asks Nancy if she wants to come to the photoshoot with her, Matthew, and Jonty and they can pick up Colette.  Matthew agrees.  Nancy says no because there are no categories for her and Colette.  Trixie says Colette is hardly a bouncing baby but that maybe they could be a fabulous family.  Nancy doesn't think that's appropriate either.

Trixie then picks up Jonty and notices that Sr. Monica Joan has not eaten her sandwich.  Matthew says they can stay with her until she finishes eating, but Sister Monica Joan says she will not eat tonight.  Matthew and Trixie leave with Jonty but they both look very concerned.

They cut part of the scene with Trixie and Matthew at the cafe.  She tells him the RSVPs are flying in with everyone saying they'll be there with bells on.  Now they can get a start on the table plan.  Matthew responds "We?"  Trixie says she needs to know about any potential diplomatic incidents: warring aunts, kissing cousins and maybe she'll find out some family secrets.

She notices Matthew is distracted.  He says he's got another meeting with the solicitor about his father's estate.  Trixie says she's sure he'll make good decisions but Matthew says he hardly knows anymore and that he's tempted to just flip a coin.  What's the worst that can happen Trixie asks.  He says nothing too disastrous, just destroying his father's legacy and ruining their future.  Trixie, clearly trying to jolly him out of his mood, says is that all?  

Adding the deleted scenes post early.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2

I hope they do a follow up on the homeless couple. 
I’m assuming Sister MJ recovered? 
Poor Cyril, he looks so depressed. Maybe he should have stayed in Jamaica with Lucille if she’s refusing to come back to England. 

• Like 4

hmmmm another patient of Shelagh's with a disease spread by poor hand washing,

I thought maybe it would end up that Cyril would let the family say in his apartment and he would stay with the Violet and Fred.

I don' know if back then they differentiated between the different Hepatitis viruses. Hep A is the one spread by feces and is an acute sickness that people can recover from.

Hep B is spread by blood and other body fluids and is a chronic condition that can lead to liver failure, so not sure what they were implying about the son. He very well could have Hep A just from living on the street. But then they made a point of showing that he was also injecting drugs.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Sigh.  I don't know if I object to the fact that PBS edits their episodes - what I REALLY object to is HOW.  All of a sudden Cyril's back from Jamaica, without so much as a by-your-leave beforehand?  Pbbbhhbt.  I did like what he did in this episode, even though it was just to keep busy and move other stories forward.  And to make me cry when he visited Sister Monica Joan.

By the way, I don't believe for a blue-eyed moment that it's SMJ's time.  

Spoiler

Especially since I've been spoiled - she rallies in time to attend Trixie's wedding.

Spoiler

And the wedding does happen - can't hardly wait to see how pretty a bride Trixie makes.

(Beg your pardon about the formatting...)

Has Matthew's actor always talked out of the side of his mouth?  It was very evident this episode.  Can't tell you why I didn't notice before.  It almost distracted me from his storyline in this episode (which was enjoyable, but not surprising).

I'm not a fan of the "surprise son" storyline, but it was done well enough.  Again, reminding the audience that not every baby was wanted.  (I did notice that it kind of misled us at the beginning with Sister MJ - thinking her first baby was a son made me think the dementia line was back on, and I rolled my eyes for a hot second.)

On a shallower note, Trixie was absolutely gorgeous this episode, and the Nancy/Collette picture was adorable.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, JustDucky said:

(I did notice that it kind of misled us at the beginning with Sister MJ - thinking her first baby was a son made me think the dementia line was back on, and I rolled my eyes for a hot second.)

I thought the first born had transition from a boy to a girl, and that we were going to bring in 2023 transgender concerns.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, JustDucky said:

Sigh.  I don't know if I object to the fact that PBS edits their episodes - what I REALLY object to is HOW.  All of a sudden Cyril's back from Jamaica, without so much as a by-your-leave beforehand?  Pbbbhhbt.  I did like what he did in this episode, even though it was just to keep busy and move other stories forward.  And to make me cry when he visited Sister Monica Joan.

By the way, I don't believe for a blue-eyed moment that it's SMJ's time.  

Hide contents

Especially since I've been spoiled - she rallies in time to attend Trixie's wedding.

Reveal spoiler

And the wedding does happen - can't hardly wait to see how pretty a bride Trixie makes.

(Beg your pardon about the formatting...)

Has Matthew's actor always talked out of the side of his mouth?  It was very evident this episode.  Can't tell you why I didn't notice before.  It almost distracted me from his storyline in this episode (which was enjoyable, but not surprising).

I'm not a fan of the "surprise son" storyline, but it was done well enough.  Again, reminding the audience that not every baby was wanted.  (I did notice that it kind of misled us at the beginning with Sister MJ - thinking her first baby was a son made me think the dementia line was back on, and I rolled my eyes for a hot second.)

On a shallower note, Trixie was absolutely gorgeous this episode, and the Nancy/Collette picture was adorable.

Cyril's return when we never saw him leave or heard about it was rather jarring. 

I have been binging on Agatha Raisin and just saw the actor who plays Matthew playing a vicar who sleeps with and cons people. He had a beard so it took me a bit to know who he was. I didn't notice if he talked out the side of his mouth. He did have a beard though. 

I had hepatitis however in my case it was general liver damage. I had no appetite whatsoever. I couldn't even drink Diet Coke which is a favorite. 

• Sad 3
15 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't think I've ever understood a word he said.

I try not to be mad at Lucille, but I am.  She married a man who worked in England, they've made a nice life together, they have their church friends where he is their pastor.  Seeing Cyril look so sad because she has chosen her mommy and a warm climate over him... I just don't know.

Recast her and have her come back. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 2

I try not to be mad at Lucille, but I am.  She married a man who worked in England, they've made a nice life together, they have their church friends where he is their pastor.  Seeing Cyril look so sad because she has chosen her mommy and a warm climate over him... I just don't know.

The Lucille character was generally popular (except for folks who thought that she was too good to be true).  The writers didn't give her a deadly disease, or just let her disappear without a word, as they have with other folks that left the show, but for some reason decided to assassinate her by having her behave in a way that seems completely unlike the Lucille character we came to know.  I guess they couldn't come up with another way to let her go and leave Cyril behind.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

52 minutes ago, Mermaid Under said:

The Lucille character was generally popular (except for folks who thought that she was too good to be true).  The writers didn't give her a deadly disease, or just let her disappear without a word, as they have with other folks that left the show, but for some reason decided to assassinate her by having her behave in a way that seems completely unlike the Lucille character we came to know.  I guess they couldn't come up with another way to let her go and leave Cyril behind.

i don’t think it was character assassination. depression is common after a miscarriage. and they kept trying, without success. so i get her being depressed and wanting to be with her family. given all that, what makes absolutely no sense is cutting the scene when he left to join her. i mean how long could it have been ffs?!

• Like 16

I really did like the interaction between Cyril and Sister Monica Joan. Her perking up ever so slightly and referring to him as “my friend” was a nice reminder that they have a special bond.  I really like Cyril’s character and how easily he interacts with other characters like Sister MJ and Reggie. I hope they find a decent storyline for him sans Lucille. 

• Like 24
11 hours ago, JustDucky said:

I'm not a fan of the "surprise son" storyline, but it was done well enough.  Again, reminding the audience that not every baby was wanted. 

I thought the mother did want the baby, but she had it back in the day when as a young single woman, the child was automatically taken away.

1 minute ago, LadyNebula said:

I really did like the interaction between Cyril and Sister Monica Joan. Her perking up ever so slightly and referring to him as “my friend” was a nice reminder that they have a special bond.  I really like Cyril’s character and how easily he interacts with other characters like Sister MJ and Reggie. I hope they find a decent storyline for him sans Lucille. 

Same. I thought if anyone would rally SMJ, it would be Cyril. But I'm getting really tired of her being thisclose to death's door and then rallying. The show has gone to that well too many times. I'm fine with her sticking around and being a sort of Greek chorus or whatever, and it's fine if she gets sick (she's old, after all), but don't make everything a near-death experience. It's going to make her actual death something of an anticlimax for me. Though maybe that's the point: Keep pushing toward death so we're all gobsmacked when it does occur. Ugh. This show is emotionally manipulative enough without adding that to the mix.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I'm so grateful to the poster who adds what has been cut out of the episodes. Because seeing Cyril come back like that would have been a wtf moment otherwise.  Why PBS cuts the episodes is a mystery. 

Poor Cyril. I love his character, and I really hope he can find some happiness and a purpose in Poplar without Lucille. 

The whole "child I never told you about" story was wrapped up too neatly. I know some men were ok with it when they found out, but still. I wonder how her other children felt about this new unknown brother. 

I was hoping that the Irish family would finally get housing. I was grossed out by her having the baby in such a filthy place. Eww. Their toddler was so cute. 

If the show is going to kill off SMJ, I wish they'd just do it. I take it she'll recover this time. 

Love the pictures of all the families. Good thing for everyone that Phyllis is a camera bug. 

• Like 12

Cyril's return when we never saw him leave or heard about it was rather jarring. 

It was easy to figure out from context though. I don't know what they plan to do with the character if Lucille is never coming back, he's going to have to get a divorce or something.

Do they treat Hepatitis with antibiotics? Dr. Turner seemed to be saying it would just work it's way through the patient's system.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Do they treat Hepatitis with antibiotics? Dr. Turner seemed to be saying it would just work it's way through the patient's system.

Hep A is viral. Antibiotics are useless.

• Like 4
  • Useful 6

This has been the least interesting and satisfying season of the show. As much as I would miss it, they should have cancelled it by now so that it would have gone off in its prime.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 3
1 minute ago, LtKelley said:

That said, I don't believe Lucille, who underneath the primness genuinely loved boring Cyril, would not feel bound by her oath to God in her marriage to stand with Cyril no matter what. 

Spot on.  They should have had enough warning that she was leaving to come up with something more believable.

• Like 19
(edited)

I am wondering, based on the teaser, if the wedding is postponed because of real or perceived financial problems in Matthew's family.

The wedding could be the Christmas special, and SMJ's death could be the next and final episode of the season. Or the other way around. 

The wedding would be a great series finale, with a chance for flashbacks and cameos from former midwives.

Edited by jschoolgirl
  • Like 4

I want/need Trixie's green outfit from the scene at night after the housing committee meeting. I'm not sure I would look good in it, but I desperately want that outfit. I couldn't find a better picture of it, so this will have to do. 

ScreenShot2023-05-01at1_27_04PM.png.f07e08befaa031a55d057afcc37d8bce.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

What sort of business was Mr. Mason running? He mentioned “a guest house” seemingly in a tongue-in-cheek way. 

I thought that he was getting some extra income through a  'bed and breakfast type arrangement.

Lucille making these quasi-permanent life arrangements without telling her husbandl much less consulting him seems like more than depression and out of character for her.

• Like 13
(edited)

I know they didn't all know each other but I would love to see some "oldies" visit for the wedding or any other time. (Chummy??)

I hated the Lucille story line and even the article where she says Cyril should stay. How much time did the writers have? It's sounds like not too much. They made a woman full of faith, within less than a year think God abandoned her and become bitter and depressed. She walks out of her blessed marriage and doesn't tell her husband she's staying there. Beyond odd and rude. I never have complaints but they didn't do this well.

I also feel the constant talk of wedding plans might be "real" but it seems like they are just setting up nothing going as planned but looking at future pictures, it does happen and looks joyous.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

The wedding invitations listed Matthew's name as "Sir Matthew Aylward, Bt." (At least I think it said "Bt.") Does anyone know what that stands for?

From Merriam-Webster:  Sir is used to address a man who has the rank of baronet or knight; the higher nobles are referred to as Lord. Lady is used when referring to women who hold certain titles: marchioness, countess, viscountess, or baroness. It can also be used of the wife of a lower-ranking noble, such as a baron, baronet, or knight.

So that's why Matthew is "sir" and Trixie will be "lady".

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

Yeah that was a really bad way to end the Lucille story. It doesn’t fit with her character at all. i guess it’s tough when an actor leaves the show. 

When Cyril visits Sister Monica Joan, all I could think was would a man really be admitted to the bedside of a nun and left alone with her?  I guess he’s a pastor but still, it felt a bit historically wrong to me. 

• Like 4

I hated the Lucille story line and even the article where she says Cyril should stay. How much time did the writers have? It's sounds like not too much. They made a woman full of faith, within less than a year think God abandoned her and become bitter and depressed. She walks out of her blessed marriage and doesn't tell her husband she's staying there. Beyond odd and rude. I never have complaints but they didn't do this well.

Since Leonie Elliott left halfway through the season, the show must have known she was leaving. It's not like she just decided not to come back between seasons. I don't know why they wrote the character off like that. Maybe they thought there was a real chance she'd return the following season so they wanted to leave the door open for that.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Since Leonie Elliott left halfway through the season, the show must have known she was leaving. It's not like she just decided not to come back between seasons. I don't know why they wrote the character off like that. Maybe they thought there was a real chance she'd return the following season so they wanted to leave the door open for that.

I looked at IMDB, and she's not showing as being involved in any new projects, nor has she apparently done anything on film since CtM.  She was doing a stage show on the West End, and has expressed that she's willing to come back for guest appearances on CtM.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I would love to see her come back so they can have a resolution of their marriage.  Divorce?  Legal separation?  Could there be a new love interest for Cyril towards the end of the season?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I would love to see her come back so they can have a resolution of their marriage.  Divorce?  Legal separation?  Could there be a new love interest for Cyril towards the end of the season?

I would love to see some resolution as well but I can't believe such a religious couple would be divorced. Sadly, I don't think there is anything believable out there.  Either she has to stay or he has to go.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

I would love to see some resolution as well but I can't believe such a religious couple would be divorced. Sadly, I don't think there is anything believable out there.  Either she has to stay or he has to go.

I think if they do get divorced, it will be portrayed as something that is very difficult for both of them.  And if they do get divorced, I can definitely see Cyril having a crisis of faith and deciding he is no longer fit to be the pastor of his church.  

• Sad 1

While I’m disappointed to hear that specific scenes were cut regarding Cyril’s trip to visit Lucille, it wasn’t necessarily a surprise to see his return to Poplar.  The viewers already knew the Buckles bought him airline tickets so I just assumed he had gone on his trip and was returning (between episodes).

• Like 1

Lucille is from Jamaica.  Isn't Cyril from a different Caribbean island? If so, if he moves to Jamaica he won't be "home" but will be much closer than he is in England.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tinderbox said:

While I’m disappointed to hear that specific scenes were cut regarding Cyril’s trip to visit Lucille, it wasn’t necessarily a surprise to see his return to Poplar.  The viewers already knew the Buckles bought him airline tickets so I just assumed he had gone on his trip and was returning (between episodes).

No,  Cyril, with Lucille's agreement, used part of their savings to buy his plane ticket to Jamaica.  The Buckles arranged for the phone call to Lucille in Episode 5.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Badger said:

No,  Cyril, with Lucille's agreement, used part of their savings to buy his plane ticket to Jamaica.  The Buckles arranged for the phone call to Lucille in Episode 5.

Ahhhh…. Yes, you are correct.  Forgive me.  However, we viewers knew he was going to visit his wife so I wasn’t surprised when he returned.  That was my point.  

• Like 1

Please forgive my unmitigated delight at the sight of SMJ seemingly about to leave this mortal coil. The prospect of this show being without her obstreperous presence and cantankerous utterings would induce an explosion of joy within my weary soul. May her final expulsion of breath be the impetus for an influx of fresh oxygen into the writers' room. However, should this become a feint by producers to elicit gasps of wonderment by a, yet again, gullible audience, I should be compelled to cast a pox upon all their domiciles.

Die, bitch! Die!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 10
5 hours ago, dsteele said:

Please forgive my unmitigated delight at the sight of SMJ seemingly about to leave this mortal coil. The prospect of this show being without her obstreperous presence and cantankerous utterings would induce an explosion of joy within my weary soul. May her final expulsion of breath be the impetus for an influx of fresh oxygen into the writers' room. However, should this become a feint by producers to elicit gasps of wonderment by a, yet again, gullible audience, I should be compelled to cast a pox upon all their domiciles.

Die, bitch! Die!

ugh

i do not share your feelings in the least.  kind of cruel, no?

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
29 minutes ago, cinsays said:

ugh

i do not share your feelings in the least.  kind of cruel, no?

No.  She is a fictional character that has had repetitive storylines and very, very unrealistically, her dementia has improved over the last ten years.  It is past time for her to go to the mother house to stay, or to die or at the very least to slip into the background of the stories.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2