Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

I could not stand Life Goes On, and only barely remember her in it, but she was memorably good in an episode of L&O: SVU (from one of the early seasons, when that show was not only tolerable but sometimes quite good) -- after all these years, I saw her picture and immediately said "Katie!"  Unfortunately, early-onset dementia is a big risk in those with Down Syndrome, so I'm not shocked by her death, but it's sad to read.

• Sad 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I could not stand Life Goes On, and only barely remember her in it, but she was memorably good in an episode of L&O: SVU (from one of the early seasons, when that show was not only tolerable but sometimes quite good) -- after all these years, I saw her picture and immediately said "Katie!"  Unfortunately, early-onset dementia is a big risk in those with Down Syndrome, so I'm not shocked by her death, but it's sad to read.

Ooh I remember that episode!

She also had a voice role in Family Guy where she played a girl with Down Syndrome that Chris liked, and it actually had a pretty good message that stuck it to disability stereotypes. And she had a pretty good response to a certain someone that accused it of being offensive. I’m gonna miss her.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I let out an audible "Noooo" at that headline, thought "What are you no-ing about, the man was over 100 years old?" and then went back to my original response because goddamn, Norman Lear. 

I gasped and then went, "Awwwww..." when I saw the headline. 

What can be said about him that hasn't already been said, really? I just hope I have even half the work ethic and passion for life that he did if/when I'm fortunate enough to hit that age. 

Rest in peace, Norman Lear. What an impact and influence to leave behind. 

• Like 13
27 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Am I the only one who can’t really read these? All I can see is the blue text, and barely. 

I can't read them if I'm on my work computer -- although I NEVER EVER check Primetimer while I'm at work -- because Twitter/X is blocked there, but I can read them at home.

• Like 1
  • Wink 3
11 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I can't say I was surprised to hear the news of Mr. Lear's passing at age 101.

However, it's still a shock because his shows were part of my life from early childhood so it's hard to imagine him not being in this world.

On a lighter (and shallower note), though, once he lost most of his hair and the remainder turned white, he seemed to have not aged but looked 50 for the next fifty-one years!

In any case, RIP, Mr. Lear!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, AstridM said:

Am I the only one who can’t really read these? All I can see is the blue text, and barely. 

I've noticed this in the last couple days. Sometimes the tweet shows up, sometimes just the text. If I click on the text, the tweet will show up.

1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

I've noticed this in the last couple days. Sometimes the tweet shows up, sometimes just the text. If I click on the text, the tweet will show up.

I’m loathe to click on any link to Twitter, lol. Such a cesspool, I don’t want my clicks to count as traffic!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Actor David McKnight who starred in the film J.D.'s Revenge and appeared in Hollywood Shuffle, Under Siege, and The Five Heartbeats has died, age 87.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/david-mcknight-dead-jd-revenge-robert-townsend-1235725611/

https://deadline.com/2023/12/david-mcknight-dead-star-of-j-d-s-revenge-hollywood-shuffle-was-87-obituary-1235658004/

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6
6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m honestly surprised he lasted as long as he did.

My first thought, too.

6 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

It must be said, the guy was not a great father.

(Or husband/partner.)  Which was my second.

But, while I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be raised (or "raised") by him or romantically involved with him, I really enjoyed a lot of his performances as an actor in the '70s.  He was particularly great when directed by Peter Bogdanovich.  I also liked him with Cybill Shepherd, Christopher McDonald, Robert Downey Jr, and Mary Stuart Masterson in a silly, sweet film from the '80s, Chances Are.

• Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But, while I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be raised (or "raised") by him or romantically involved with him, I really enjoyed a lot of his performances as an actor in the '70s.  He was particularly great when directed by Peter Bogdanovich.  I also liked him with Cybill Shepherd, Christopher McDonald, Robert Downey Jr, and Mary Stuart Masterson in a silly, sweet film from the '80s, Chances Are.

Ooh I liked that movie! I also liked Irreconcilable Differences when he and Shelley Long were Drew Barrymore’s parents that she wound up emancipating herself from.

And of course, I liked Paper Moon. 

It must be said that I did admire how he was there for Farrah Fawcett when she got cancer.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

This one hurts, man.

Love Story and The Main Event were his best.  Also liked Paper Moon, Chances Are and Irreconcilable Differences.

He was also great on Bones and the short-lived show with Farrah, Good Sports.

Despite his darker moments, he was very charismatic and hella talented.

Rest well, sir.

• Like 15
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also liked him with Cybill Shepherd, Christopher McDonald, Robert Downey Jr, and Mary Stuart Masterson in a silly, sweet film from the '80s, Chances Are.

Ahhh yes — Chances Are — one of my favorites to re-watch and Ryan was wonderful in that sweet, charming movie (the whole cast was).  And I was a puffball of tears when I first saw Love Story.   

Ryan was a fiery guy who was a pleasure to watch in his roles, but very, very, very difficult to be in a relationship with (parental or romantic or co-stars).  

• Like 6

There was a movie he did with John Hurt in the 80's called Partners. A heterosexual police detective is unnerved when ordered to go undercover with a homosexual police clerk, as a couple, to solve a series of murders in the gay community. It was just the beginning of AIDS being out there and talked about. 

James Burrow directed it. His boss made him drive a pink VW bug and dress in pastels( eye roll). Interesting little movie. 

Ryan did some good roles but boy he was  a prick IRL. 

Edited by BookWitch
misspelled word
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

And in What’s Up, Doc Ryan said one of the best lines ever in a movie when Barbra says “Love means never having to say you’re sorry” and he (Howard / Ryan) replies “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard”.  Oh, how I loved that comeback, just poking fun at what an absolutely absurd original line that was.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 12
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Actor David McKnight who starred in the film J.D.'s Revenge and appeared in Hollywood Shuffle, Under Siege, and The Five Heartbeats has died, age 87.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/david-mcknight-dead-jd-revenge-robert-townsend-1235725611/

https://deadline.com/2023/12/david-mcknight-dead-star-of-j-d-s-revenge-hollywood-shuffle-was-87-obituary-1235658004/

JD's Revenge was classic shit, scared me as a kid. Great character actor, RIP Mr. McKnight.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

And in What’s Up, Doc Ryan said one of the best lines ever in a movie when Barbra says “Love means never having to say you’re sorry” and he (Howard / Ryan) replies “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard”.  Oh, how I loved that comeback, just poking fun at what an absolutely absurd original line that was.  

Oh, I love that movie! I still remember being 12 years old, home sick and my dad telling me that he had taped a movie for me that was on late the night before. “You’ll love this one.” I watched it three times that day. Of course, at the time, I didn’t get the joke you mentioned. My dad had to explain it to me later. My husband and I are known to regularly quote that one at random.

I also have a huge soft spot for Chances Are and Irreconcilable Differences. He and Shelley Long were terrific in that one.

He’s one of those actors who was incredibly watchable, but whom I never wanted to actually know in real life. Sounds like he was a grade-A jerk. A charismatic one, but a horror nonetheless.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ooh I liked that movie! I also liked Irreconcilable Differences when he and Shelley Long were Drew Barrymore’s parents that she wound up emancipating herself from.

And of course, I liked Paper Moon. 

It must be said that I did admire how he was there for Farrah Fawcett when she got cancer.

Both great movies.  I remember reading some article where he couldn't watch Love Story anymore because Oliver watching Jenny die hit too close to home with his last days with Farrah.

Definitely a complicated man, he definitely got to play himself in an episode of Larry Sanders where he gets bumped from the show (wasn't the first time Larry did it heh heh).

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Pouring one out for Ryan O’Neal, who’ll always have a place in my heart for his recitation of the entire plot of What’s Up Doc? during the climactic trial scene in…What’s Up Doc?

Exposition has never, and will never be, as fucking funny as that.

• Like 13
6 hours ago, voiceover said:

Pouring one out for Ryan O’Neal, who’ll always have a place in my heart for his recitation of the entire plot of What’s Up Doc? during the climactic trial scene in…What’s Up Doc?

Exposition has never, and will never be, as fucking funny as that.

"First there was this problem between me and Hugh."

".....You and me?"

"No, me and Hugh."

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

“Don’t touch me, I’m a doctor!”

”Of what?”

”Music.”

”Can you fix a hi-fi?”

”No, sir.”

”Then shut up!”

O’Neal came across as so charming and bumbling in that movie. And he was so sweet in Chances Are.

But in Irreconcilable Differences, there’s that selfish, baby man narcissism along with the charm…

Just going by some of Tatum’s stories, the guy was a nightmare. I always put him in my Alec Baldwin category — great onscreen, but if I saw him in real life, I’d run the other way.

• Like 17

I never was a huge O'Neal fan, but 'What's Up, Doc?' is one of my favorite movies and I have to get out the DVD now and then to give it a watch.

I think my favorite scene was the mad chase through the streets of San Francisco. ('I can't see!' 'There's nothing to see actually. We're inside a Chinese dragon.')

I also liked his character as Brennan's father on 'Bones'. 

• Like 6

Damn, one of our best actors. And I'm so glad Andy Samberg let America know how good a comedic actor he was, not just a great dramatic actor. Of course he came onto my radar the way he came onto most people's: Frank Pembleton on Homicide. Just magnetic. R.I.P.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1