Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Regardless, I feel sorry for his loved ones who somehow loved him.

He actually seemed like a halfway decent guy.

Sure he was a goofy mayor and hosted a yellow press 'talk show', but we all gotta make money.  And people sure watched that stupid show.  The talk equivalent of the Gong Show.

But did he really hurt anyone that didn't deserve some bad karma?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

But did he really hurt anyone that didn't deserve some bad karma?

Since you asked,IMUO ...yes.

I haven't forgotten that, in addition to 'the usual suspects', Springer also brought out people with unconventional physical challenges and subjected them to his boorish studio audience's lurid and cruel speculations  about the challenged folks' private lives while piously claiming to want to 'educate'. IOW, he had the gall to bring to broadcast television what used to be known as 'freak shows' .Whatever financial compensations the physically challenged guests may have been given or mawkish platitudes he put forth to attempt to justify it doesn't erase the fact that physically challenged folks were repeatedly humiliated and exploited for ratings and cheep laffs. And, I don't recall him ever giving an abject and sincere apology for the above- to say nothing of seeking to appeal to the lowest common denominator for decades.

I'm sorry I ever watched any of it and boo me if you like but even his passing doesn't erase the damage he deliberately  inflicted on undeserving guests while contributing to the debasing of impressionable adult and children potential viewers. As I said before, I feel sorry for those loved ones who somehow loved him in spite of the above legacy.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Jerry Springer competed on season 3 of Dancing With the Stars and learned to waltz for his daughter's wedding. 

I didn't realize it was all the way back in Season 3. I remember seeing that though and thinking it was really sweet. The audience could tell how much he loved his daughter.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Since you asked,IMUO ...yes.

I haven't forgotten that, in addition to 'the usual suspects', Springer also brought out people with unconventional physical challenges and subjected them to his boorish studio audience's lurid and cruel speculations  about the challenged folks' private lives while piously claiming to want to 'educate'. IOW, he had the gall to bring broadcast television what used to be known as 'freak shows' .Whatever financial compensations the physically challenged guests may have been given or mawkish platitudes he put forth to attempt to justify it doesn't erase the fact that physically challenged folks were repeatedly humiliated and exploited for ratings and cheep laffs. And, I don't recall him ever giving an abject and sincere apology for the above- to say nothing of seeking to appeal to the lowest common denominator for decades.

Ok, I didn't know that.  I never watched him.  The only thing I knew about his show was he would bring volatile people on for confrontation - like neglectful childhoods, missing fathers, who's the baby, or odd love connections.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Apparently, Springer only survived a few months after his diagnosis.  Man, that is unbelievably fast.  

We lost a family friend to that form of cancer -the problem with it is it often takes a long time for it to be diagnosed.  Too long.  By the time our friend went to see a doctor because of pain in her back, that she had kept self diagnosing to anything other than cancer,  it was far too late for any treatment options to work.

• Hugs 5
  • Sad 11
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Apparently, Springer only survived a few months after his diagnosis.  Man, that is unbelievably fast.  

It also took Michael Landon quickly. He was diagnosed April 5, 1991 and died July 1.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 13
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

My grandfather’s brother was diagnosed with cancer and died 10 days later.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 15

My husband's aunt died a few months after her diagnosis, too. His uncle said not long after the funeral "How do you go from having a pain in your back in the spring, to dying by the end of summer?"  It was so sad.

• Sad 12

One of my dad's friends had about 2 weeks after his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately, I think the fairly short survival times are a lot more common than Alex Trebek living well over a year after his diagnosis, even though, in the grand scheme of things, that's not long either. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 10
1 hour ago, Zella said:

One of my dad's friends had about 2 weeks after his diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. Unfortunately, I think the fairly short survival times are a lot more common than Alex Trebek living well over a year after his diagnosis, even though, in the grand scheme of things, that's not long either. 

Also Patrick Swayze and Ruth Bader Ginsberg survived longer than normal.

Pancreatic cancer is so deadly because it isn't detected till it is so far along it's causing symptoms. There is no routine examination that is going to find it.

• Sad 11
3 hours ago, Zella said:

My uncle suddenly didn't feel well, and collapsed while getting out of bed. At the ER, they diagnosed him with pancreatic cancer, he was in hospice the next day, and passed away about 2 weeks later.

F cancer.

• Sad 14
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Jack Nicholson makes  appearance at Lakers’ game. The recent  negative media stories must not be true.  

https://pagesix.com/2023/04/29/jack-nicholson-attends-lakers-game-in-first-public-appearance-since-2021/

Well, it's great that he's not in such fragile health that Mr. Nicholson has no choice but to be a recluse. However, attending a game isn't the same as having completed a tri-athelon or bench pressed a Sherman tank!

• LOL 2
7 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, it's great that he's not in such fragile health that Mr. Nicholson has no choice but to be a recluse. However, attending a game isn't the same as having completed a tri-athelon or bench pressed a Sherman tank!

Well, he is 86. I wouldn’t expect the average 86 year old to complete a triathlon.🙂 Seriously, I think he looks like a normal 86 year old. Jack has never exactly been a health nut, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he does have health issues at his age. But it’s good that he was able to get out and about and enjoy the basketball game. 

• Like 15
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but he makes a good point:

Which beats another possible headline for this speculating about Darth Vader and Fabio having had a love child!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Which beats another possible headline for this speculating about Darth Vader and Fabio having had a love child!

That's a screencap from Conan the Barbarian, 1982. It stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan and JEJ as the villain. Very good movie. Worth watching, though not if you have a fear of snakes.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, Anduin said:

That's a screencap from Conan the Barbarian, 1982. It stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan and JEJ as the villain. Very good movie. Worth watching, though not if you have a fear of snakes.

D'uh, on my part. However, throughout his career, even in the hirsuit 60's through 80's Mr. Jones has kept his follicles close to his noggin instead of letting them grow out like Rapunzel (and I'm not sure Mr. Jones bought or borrowed those locks for that role  so one can't exactly say it was his). So, I hope you'll forgive my confusion.

• Like 2

Rabbi Harold Kushner, best know as the author of When Bad Things Happen to Good People, has died at the age of 88.

The book, published over four decades ago, provided a message that readers throughout the generations needed to hear: that God's love is unlimited and that God's ultimate plan is that people will live fully, bravely and meaningfully in a less-than perfect world...

After the catastrophic events of Sept. 11, 2001, Kushner's meditation on Psalm 23 became a best-seller, offering guidance on how to find faith and courage in the midst of unbearable tragedy.

"Much of the time, we cannot control what happens to us. But we can always control how we respond to what happens to us," he wrote. "If we cannot choose to be lucky, to be talented, to be loved, we can choose to be grateful, to be content with who we are and what we have, and to act accordingly."

• Sad 11
57 minutes ago, Blergh said:

D'uh, on my part. However, throughout his career, even in the hirsuit 60's through 80's Mr. Jones has kept his follicles close to his noggin instead of letting them grow out like Rapunzel (and I'm not sure Mr. Jones bought or borrowed those locks for that role  so one can't exactly say it was his). So, I hope you'll forgive my confusion.

I don't know, but I strongly suspect it was a wig. Same with Arnie's hair.

• Like 2

Ohhhhh DAMN.  “Carefree Highway” is one of my all-time favorites.  I’ll be listening to it many times tonight.

”Now the thing that I call living
Is just being satisfied
With knowing I got no one left to blame”

You gave so many, so much.  Thanks for writing about me, even though you never knew me.  Flights of angels.

• Like 8
  • Sad 6

Oh, wow, I just listened to "If You Could Read My Mind" this afternoon!  I had my iPod on the shuffle setting while I walked, and while that song is not exactly one that spurs me to move faster, no way was I skipping to something else.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, wow, I just listened to "If You Could Read My Mind" this afternoon!  I had my iPod on the shuffle setting while I walked, and while that song is not exactly one that spurs me to move faster, no way was I skipping to something else.

I like that song, too. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Karlie Kloss also revealed her second pregnancy at the Met Gala. 

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. A totally unlikely subject for a hit song. 

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy
With a load of iron ore twenty-six thousand tons more
Than the Edmund Fitzgerald weighed empty
That good ship and true was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I wrote a paper in college for a music class on Gordon’s “Canadian Railroad Trilogy”.  You could choose any song you wanted to write about.   It is one of the few assignments I still remember from college — I spent so much time on every little line of the song, starting / stopping / replaying it on my cassette player.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 10
  • Hugs 4

Fell down a YT rabbit hole of remembrance, and stumbled into a bit by Dame Edna on Graham Norton’s show.  She was side-eying an audience member, and finally said: “I’m trying to think of a word that describes what you’re wearing …’affordable’.”

Darling Dame E!  Totally swiping that line, but I will give you credit, dear.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

FWIW, I always thought that the shrewd and conniving Rosie was a breath of fresh air on M*A*S*H- especially compared to virtually other Korean woman character who seemed to be passive,servile  stereotypes.  RIP, Miss Saki!

• Like 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I did think one of the best tributes for Gord came from the Mariner's Chapel in Detroit. The church made famous in the song. Yesterday, they rang the bell 30 times...29 times for the "good ship and crew" and they added one more for Gordon. I think he would have loved that....

That is so incredible -- well-done by Mariner's Chapel ❤️

• Like 9
  • Love 2

While I liked most of Gordon's songs ( I remember hearing Edmund Fitzgerald on the radio, it got a lot of play back then when it first came out). But I didn't now much about his personal life : married 4 times and battled drug and alcohol issues. It incredible- and very sad - that so many talented people in the arts wrestle with those things at some point in their lives. I wonder why it is ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1