Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E00: Christmas Special 2022

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

My least favorite holiday special.  Too much serious stuff going on. 

I didn't mind the serious stuff, but it did feel like there was almost too much going on, and it would have benefited the episode to perhaps cut a storyline. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, GaT said:

No Sister Monica Joan plots, so, so happy.

Though she did have the funniest expression when Miss Higgins was playing her recorder! 

It wasn't a bad episode, though for once I didn't cry. I was really glad they went back to Susan and her family. Nice to see they weren't forgotten. 

So we lost Sister Hilda? Phooey. They need to get a couple of new nuns in there. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, craziness said:

Is Sister Frances leaving for good?  I hope she comes back.  

Loved the Timothy Turner sightings.  So grown up, but still a kid at heart running towards the presents.

Eileen Bruccoleri will be starring in Polite Society, Extraordinary and Hexengeddon. They have left the door open for her to return to CTM. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think the default CTM plot is to jam a whole bunch of horribly sad, desperate stories into the first three quarters of the show, and resolve them too easily in the last quarter. 

Not my favorite Christmas episode either.  Tim Turner doesn't look quite as tubercular- the actor has put on a bit of weight.  And nice to see Miss Higgins using her superpowers for good.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

It wasn't a bad episode, though for once I didn't cry.

i did — started with  matthew dropped off the dollhouse. for me earned tears because it just snuck up in me

and i loved the rest of it! certainly one of my favorite christmas specials. there was a lot going on, but i thought the episode was balanced. and yes, minimal monica jean — agreed that her expression during the recorder performance was priceless. and i loved seeing tim, and how they’ve brought reggie along. 

• Like 4

I also felt there were too many plots going on. It was okay for a Christmas episode but not outstanding (the worst in my opinion was still the one on the Hebrides with SMJ looking for her mystical stag).

The return to the Mulluck family was great although I think that could have been handled in a regular episode. And to see how many options for Susan were not available was heartbreaking  - not to mention her parents struggles with the educational system, finances, unfeeling neighbours and strangers and their own emotions.

Cindy might not have realized -how- extremely lucky she was to collapse in that particular allotment. Not only was she landing in the care of one of London's best midwives but she was also getting help from the Grand Mistress of Red Tape herself, Miss Higgins. That bit between her and Nurse Crane about Cindy's life being an abject failure in what matters most ('Love?' - 'No, administration!') made me laugh out loud. As did Timothy's face during the (carefully blocked and edited) Burlesque (?) performance.

It was a given that someone would show up on the talent show with a surprisingly good singing voice but I had not expected Matthew to be the one.

Here's a snippet from the Guardian's review which sums up things quite nicely:

It may not be reinventing the wheel, and it may be something of a Christmas workhorse, but Call the Midwife is rock solid at what it does. It’s the yorkshire pudding on a festive roast. You don’t exactly need it, but you’ll miss it if it’s not there.

That said I'm rather sad to see that we lose both Sister Frances and Sister Hilda. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Maybe, I wasn’t in the right mood, but I couldn’t get into this episode.  I normally love their holiday shows.  I just couldn’t get into it and I kept having this anticipation of dread.  I only watched about 20 minutes.  

At the exchange between Cindy and the pompous official, I said she needed Miss Higgins. And like magic, they cut to Miss Higgins in the office! It just took forever, a nasty landlady, and an illicit street deal for them to connect. How did she not know about Nonatus House or the clinic? The rest was pretty much as expected and I enjoyed everything except Miss Higgins and her recorders (painful). It’s touching that Phyllis cares enough about their friendship to remain silent. 

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, Daff said:

At the exchange between Cindy and the pompous official, I said she needed Miss Higgins. And like magic, they cut to Miss Higgins in the office! It just took forever, a nasty landlady, and an illicit street deal for them to connect. How did she not know about Nonatus House or the clinic? The rest was pretty much as expected and I enjoyed everything except Miss Higgins and her recorders (painful). It’s touching that Phyllis cares enough about their friendship to remain silent. 

and i loved the look on Phyllis's face while the lovely(?) recorder presentation was happening

• Like 3
  • LOL 8

The Guardian comment is spot on. The show is not really groundbreaking (though it sometimes has its moments educating people) but it's comfort viewing.

I liked seeing Susan again, and hope maybe we'll see her again to see how things progress for her and her family. I did like that they were showing the siblings were more upset about how their parents were acting versus Susan's condition. She's just their sister, and they were collectively having to parent their parents. That happens in families with much less stress on them than this one. I also can't help thinking how a modern-day powered wheelchair would have provided so much freedom for Susan.

I got a laugh out of Fred and Timothy's reaction to the burlesque scene. Fred said they'd never get it past Violet and Lucille in a million years, but I kept thinking about what Sheila's reaction would be.

I have a soft spot for Miss Higgins and her love of paperwork, and loved her using her powers for good. Life would be a lot better for many people if someone like her were around to help them with paperwork.

Was bummed Sister Hilda is gone. Is that permanent? The door seems to be left open for a return. I also like Sister Frances and while I wish the actress success in her other endeavors, I'm glad the door has been left open for her too. It's amazing to me how they've had so many characters in and out over the years yet still managed to hold things together. Sometimes, just one character leaving can throw off the whole dynamic for the show.

I do wonder if we'll see new nuns, new nurses, or a combination. They're really short staffed, and we're up to 1968 now. There's been threats to Nonnatus House and Dr. Turner's practice as things have modernized around them, but how much longer did real life services like this last? I have a feeling it died out by the time Thatcher was in office, which is about a decade in the future.

• Like 8

I loved Timmy helping out at clinic and in the show as an adult but still being a kid at Christmas that is so much that age.  

Susan's big sister said she hoped she could volunteer too in preparation for her planned nursing studies so I figure Timmy and Susan's sister are a future thing.  LOL.  

I'm sad we didn't get a send off for Sister Hilda (she was my favorite) and will miss Sister Frances.   And yet we are still saddled with Sister Monica Joan.  Sigh.  

I didn't mid this episode as much as others seemed to anytime nobody dies is  huge win for me in Call The Midwife.   

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Nialla said:

I got a laugh out of Fred and Timothy's reaction to the burlesque scene. Fred said they'd never get it past Violet and Lucille in a million years, but I kept thinking about what Sheila's reaction would be.

That scene was very funny. And we got the Kinks! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, I wasn’t in the right mood, but I couldn’t get into this episode.  I normally love their holiday shows.  I just couldn’t get into it and I kept having this anticipation of dread.  I only watched about 20 minutes.  

I watched the entire episode but, yeah, definitely not an episode I could get into. Only marginally better than the Hebrides special. I was surprised when Sister Julienne told Matthew to get Trixie a big ring because she was disappointed in the family heirloom that Rev. Harewood gave her. That seemed out of character for her. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I was surprised when Sister Julienne told Matthew to get Trixie a big ring because she was disappointed in the family heirloom that Rev. Harewood gave her. That seemed out of character for her. 

I did feel like it was out of character for Sister Julienne to insert herself so much into something that personal, but I can forgive her in that she seemed to only want Trixie to be happy. 

Are Phyllis and Miss Higgins sharing that row house now, or is she still living at Nonatus House? 

I did kind of want someone to suggest to Nancy that for someone who keeps talking about wanting a place for she and her daughter, maybe she could cut back on her clothes budget. 

3 hours ago, Nialla said:

Was bummed Sister Hilda is gone. Is that permanent? The door seems to be left open for a return. I also like Sister Frances and while I wish the actress success in her other endeavors, I'm glad the door has been left open for her too.

My impression is that both actresses have left the show for good. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I noticed that the woman who didn't want Susan in the Nativity play was the same one who complained about the  meths drinkers.

I saw a few stories that Lucille was going to have a sad storyline, but I didn't really see anything that indicated that.  She seemed to be rather neglected if you ask me.

• Like 1

I'm confused about the calendar situation -- the show was supposed to take place on "Sunday, December 30," but the only time December 30 fell on a Sunday during the '60s was in 1962. And based on all of the music they used ("You Really Got Me," 1964; "Somethin' Stupid", 1967), clearly we're past that.

And then there was the scene where the planning committee was apparently unaware of the date of the show, yet this was preceded by a scene with a poster with the date, time, and location clearly shown. Bad editing?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

It was a given that someone would show up on the talent show with a surprisingly good singing voice but I had not expected Matthew to be the one.

I thought they were lip syncing to the Nancy/Frank Sinatra record.   I have some vague understanding that at one point in time it was considered entertaining to watch folks lip syncing to records.  Jerry Lewis in his early career had such an act.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I watched the entire episode but, yeah, definitely not an episode I could get into. Only marginally better than the Hebrides special. I was surprised when Sister Julienne told Matthew to get Trixie a big ring because she was disappointed in the family heirloom that Rev. Harewood gave her. That seemed out of character for her. 

I"m still thinking about that. How tacky. If Trixie wouldn't marry anyone or complain because of the stone size, it doesn't say much about her. That line ruined it for me but I still liked the show. I knew it couldn't be about her drinking but stone size?? And a nun is telling him this, the important things in marriage.

I saw marriage coming from day one and just don't like him as much as others, too polished and "perfect" but they needed a rich guy for Trixie and a ready made kid. You can't like every plot.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 5
20 hours ago, txhorns79 said:
21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I didn't mind the serious stuff, but it did feel like there was almost too much going on, and it would have benefited the episode to perhaps cut a storyline. 

As usual. Some of this could have been saved for a show during the season.

13 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

hough for once I didn't cry.

I may have had dust in my eye when Matthew did finally get the chance to propose to Trixie, because it kind of told the history of Trixie.

18 hours ago, GaT said:

No Sister Monica Joan plots, so, so happy

When they were watching the TV and SrMJ was holding Matthew's  son and is was eating candies I thought oh oh, sure enough he barfed up Quality Street all over her 😆

3 hours ago, J-Man said:

Bad editing?

The editors on this show are so busy putting together so many 2 second scenes, because god for bid we can get a longer scene to build some emotion or dramatic tension, that I don't think they even can keep track of the time line of the show. I certainly couldn't keep track after the Christmas scene what day or night it was that Nurse Crane and Miss Higgins were at the hospital giving Cindy her paper work. (of course we get a long extended scene of kids singing Frosty the Snowman and Miss Higgins tooting which was unnecessary)

• Like 4

Love how the women, besides the nuns, are wearing pant suits in their off duty time. Trixie looked fabulous in hers. I remember when they were the thing and women quit wearing as many dresses out in public. mom and grandmother both wore them. Of course, I was 10 when the show takes place.  

Our local PBS ran a marathon on the Christmas episodes earlier in  the day.  It was fun watching all of them again. In anticipation for this episode, I had decided to look up and watch the Christmas episodes on Netflix.  Luckily I scrolled through the guide on my tv and saw they were on PBS.  I also like how this episode took up almost the whole one hour 30 minutes allotted instead of compressing the episode and showing the clips at the end like they do during the regular season.  We can only hope that PBS has heard our complaints and won't chop up the new season.

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

I also like how this episode took up almost the whole one hour 30 minutes allotted instead of compressing the episode and showing the clips at the end like they do during the regular season.  We can only hope that PBS has heard our complaints and won't chop up the new season.

Don’t bet on it. The Christmas episodes have always aired in full on PBS, as far as I know, unlike the regular seasons.

• Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I teared up when Mr. Mullock was at the AA meeting talking about love. I thought his delivery was heartfelt, and it was refreshing to hear about a father's emotional pain regarding his daughter's congenital disability. Well done. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2

I liked this episode because it had less fluff in it.  But for the love of all that is holy can we dispense with the sugary intros and endings of the wispery old lady voice overs of Vanessa Redgrave. It's like nails on a chalkboard to my ears and way too sacharine. I have known and know many many very very senior women and even in their late eighties no one talks like this. It's horrible. There. I said it.  Horrible.

Rosemary. I love that name. ❤️

• Like 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tvmom said:

I teared up when Mr. Mullock was at the AA meeting talking about love. I thought his delivery was heartfelt, and it was refreshing to hear about a father's emotional pain regarding his daughter's congenital disability. Well done. 

I agree, particularly in a show that often makes the fathers seem distant from their families.  His pain over watching his beautiful little girl suffer was well demonstrated.

Maybe it was because I didn't watch this on Christmas and waited until all the distractions were over, but I loved the episode and cried through the whole  darn thing. 

The young pregnant woman getting out of prison and going back into the world with no home, no family and no job, was something horrifying to me.  Seeing the "three wise women" come to her aid made me appreciate my favorites all over again, but Reggie's instant concern for her  was the very best.  I hope they keep their relationship in the show.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, tvmom said:

I did tear up at that part a bit. It was so beautifully expressed. 

• Like 7
12 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

I thought they were lip syncing to the Nancy/Frank Sinatra record.   I have some vague understanding that at one point in time it was considered entertaining to watch folks lip syncing to records.  Jerry Lewis in his early career had such an act.

That was my first thought (no mistaking Sinatra’s voice). And I don’t think the actor who plays Matthew moonlights as a lounge singer. After reading here, I’m thinking they took the pressure off the actors by allowing them to sing along with the recording-same cost for the rights to use the song. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I liked this episode because it had less fluff in it.  But for the love of all that is holy can we dispense with the sugary intros and endings of the wispery old lady voice overs of Vanessa Redgrave. It's like nails on a chalkboard to my ears and way too sacharine. I have known and know many many very very senior women and even in their late eighties no one talks like this. It's horrible. There. I said it.  Horrible.

Rosemary. I love that name.  Me too! That was my precious mother’s name and I gave a little gasp when she revealed it! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, tvmom said:

It was not congenital-and he even spoke to the fact that modern science has produced medicines that reduce suffering, but his child ends up grossly deformed by the one harmful one that was pushed to market. Everyone is carrying around a lot of guilt over that, including the doctor. 

• Like 5

But for the love of all that is holy can we dispense with the sugary intros and endings of the wispery old lady voice overs of Vanessa Redgrave.

I wasn't sure the final voice over was Vanessa Redgrave (I missed the intro, so can't say).  It sounded stronger than she has in recent episodes, and I had the impression they got another actress with a similar voice, but in better health..

2 hours ago, Daff said:

It was not congenital-and he even spoke to the fact that modern science has produced medicines that reduce suffering, but his child ends up grossly deformed by the one harmful one that was pushed to market. Everyone is carrying around a lot of guilt over that, including the doctor. 

DEFINITION FOR CONGENITAL (1 OF 1)

adjective

of or relating to a condition present at birth, whether inherited or caused by the environment, especially the uterine environment.

Based upon the dictionary definition, I don't think my phrasing is incorrect. Yes, Susan’s defect has a pharmaceutical origin. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
7 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I disagree.  I love hearing the old lady's introductions in each episode, heartfelt, wise and kind.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I disagree.  I love hearing the old lady's introductions in each episode, heartfelt, wise and kind.

I don't mind them but her character hasn't been on the show in ages, so it seems odd. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, LtKelley said:

I wish they'd found a better reason to lose Sister Frances (no disrespect to the actress who I enjoy, glad she's leaving for other work) because really, "We're kicking you back to the nunnery because you're working too hard and are now broken" seems like a ridiculous excuse especially considering the various number of times Sister Monica Joan has convalesced from more serious health woes at Nonnatus House.

I thought it was phrased more in a "We're so sorry we overworked you and are going to give you a true, much deserved rest now" kind of way. A lot of things in this episode weren't working for me, but that wasn't one of them. 

What was bothering me was the Matthew/ Nancy duet... I realize Nancy roped him into it in an attempt to show Trixie his "fun" side, but having him sing a love song with his girlfriend's co-worker was... weird, to say the least. Either have him sing on his own, or give them a less romantic song to sing together.

On a similar note, Trixie's first conversation with Mr. Mulluck was also pretty awkward/ weird. Like, obviously the audience knows Trixie's backstory and exactly what she's trying to say, but Mr. Mulluck would have no clue, and without the key bit of information, it almost sounded like she was propositioning him... Maybe leading with, "I had an alcohol problem," or something along those lines would have been better.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought it was phrased more in a "We're so sorry we overworked you and are going to give you a true, much deserved rest now" kind of way. A lot of things in this episode weren't working for me, but that wasn't one of them. 

What was bothering me was the Matthew/ Nancy duet... I realize Nancy roped him into it in an attempt to show Trixie his "fun" side, but having him sing a love song with his girlfriend's co-worker was... weird, to say the least. Either have him sing on his own, or give them a less romantic song to sing together.

On a similar note, Trixie's first conversation with Mr. Mulluck was also pretty awkward/ weird. Like, obviously the audience knows Trixie's backstory and exactly what she's trying to say, but Mr. Mulluck would have no clue, and without the key bit of information, it almost sounded like she was propositioning him... Maybe leading with, "I had an alcohol problem," or something along those lines would have been better.

I also had no problem with what Sister Julianne said to Sister Frances. I felt it was an apology for not realizing that they were having her do too much. 

I agree on that song, it should not have been a romantic song, but Sinatra sang it with his daughter, so maybe that is why they figured it was okay. 

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Blackie said:

As usual. Some of this could have been saved for a show during the season.

I may have had dust in my eye when Matthew did finally get the chance to propose to Trixie, because it kind of told the history of Trixie.

When they were watching the TV and SrMJ was holding Matthew's  son and is was eating candies I thought oh oh, sure enough he barfed up Quality Street all over her 😆

The editors on this show are so busy putting together so many 2 second scenes, because god for bid we can get a longer scene to build some emotion or dramatic tension, that I don't think they even can keep track of the time line of the show. I certainly couldn't keep track after the Christmas scene what day or night it was that Nurse Crane and Miss Higgins were at the hospital giving Cindy her paper work. (of course we get a long extended scene of kids singing Frosty the Snowman and Miss Higgins tooting which was unnecessary)

I agree with much of this, but Frosty was the best moment for me. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, LtKelley said:

It just seemed really cold to me, when you couple it with how she was so overworked because pretty much everyone was super self involved with their own issues. Sure, no one was being directly selfish, everyone was being caring and doing important stuff but yeah, all the shit work fell on Sister Frances and her reward was getting kicked to the curb. 

Knowing the actress was leaving, obviously she had to go, but it might have been nice - since she was clearly willing to do the Christmas episode to give her a send off where the character was actually excited about her reassignment. Like a "Oh Sister Frances you've done so well in your humble nursing posting, we think the Lord wants great things for you and we're sending you to Cambridge to get a degree" type of thing. (I know from reading Karen Armstrong's books that yeah, this could happen)

It sounded to me that it was temporary. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Rosemary. I love that name

I thought she pronounced in Rose Marie but CC said Rosemary (maybe is was just her accent)

2 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

but Frosty was the best moment for me.

I thought the best part of the talent show was Colette with Fred and Lucille's husband at the start, she looked so excited to be on stage. Regie's guitar solo was nice too. 

• Like 6

Closed captioning came across as Rosemary - does that come from the script?  I never know where they get the text but assuming it's from an existing copy of something.

Not my favorite Christmas special by a long shot.  Still it was awfully good to see the show again.  Will definitely miss Hilda and Frances a lot.it 

• Like 1