Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Holiday Hookah

• Start Topic

On the last day of school before winter break, Janine is convinced by her friend to go to a popular hookah club where she runs into unexpected colleagues. Elsewhere, Jacob crashes Barbara and Melissa’s traditional holiday dinner and in the process begins to learn the true meaning of Christmas.

Airdate: 12/7/2022

• Love 1

I feel guilty saying this, but the Gregory-Janine 'ship just isn't that interesting to me. It's my least favorite part of the show. (Although I thought it was really funny-cute when Gregory was trying to act all cool walking across the club to Janine.) I feel like I've seen this a million times and it interests me so far much less than the other aspects of the show. I adore Gregory and like Janine and wish they had at least waited a couple of seasons before making it a thing. (I wonder, though, if the 'ship name could be Gan-grine. 😀 Although it will probably something like "Jegory.")

I found it touching when Jacob smiled at the end after Melissa said, "Merry Jacob-mas." 

Ava had some great one-liners.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

This episode was perfection for Ava and she nailed every hysterical line.  She was also used the perfect amount in this week's episode, since last week's Ava-centric episode showed that too much Ava is like too much Jacob (good for Jacob on getting the scratch off tickets, and going to spend the holidays with his boyfriend).  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I did not think it would be Gregory that Janine would run into when I read  the episode  synopsis. Then I figured it would be him when he said he was also going out with friends. They looked nice dancing together but I am no longer on that ship after the egg drop episode.  I think Janine has to grow a little bit more and deal with her issues. I just feel if she doesn't her and Gregory would not work long term.

Jacob was annoying but glad he came around after talking to Mr. Johnson and was able to enjoy at least one Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, JeanJean said:

“Sorry, I don’t speak line.” Ha!

I legit might leave if I saw my coworkers in the club. I don’t socialize with them like that.

Was anyone besides me happy to see Jacob’s boyfriend?

• Like 3
  • Love 21

Now, I get that Janine and Ava and Jacob all have...quirks. But do Barbara and Melissa actually like anyone other than each other at that school? 

Other than that ---an I do get Jacob was being annoying but----I really enjoyed the episode. I think the line of the week for me was Ericka looking at Ava talking about how impressive her twerk circle was. 

Edited by hiisa
Solo and circle are two different words
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, JeanJean said:

"Not my work husband grinding up on my work nemesis!"

Ava was in fine form.

This was a fun episode and I am I really liking Janine and Gregory's awkward little non-romance romance.  They are the opposite of smooth. 

Erika is a great addition as a recurring character.  She is just what Janine needed.  Also Janine's nervous "booby dance" was funny.  It is nice seeing Janine blossom a bit and getting out of her comfort zone.

The Barbara/Melissa/Jacob/Mr. Johnson grouping was not one that I would have ever expected, but I ended up liking a lot as a b-plot.  "The Ghost of NPR past" indeed, LOL.  But Yay to plain talking.  Mr. Johnson told Jacob he was being a downer and this gave Jacob the clue to course correct. 

New info this episode:

- Ava has a famous boyfriend

- Jacob has a dysfunctional family around the holidays

- Mr. Johnson got it on with Dorothy Hamill (allegedly)

-Janine is a thoughtful gift giver (of course she is)

- People talk about Janine a lot to their friends...

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I said it back when I watched ep 1 on season 1, because the setup / hinting was just disgustingly obvious, but DO NOT TURN GREGORY AND JANINE INTO A COUPLE!!! Gosh I am so tired of workplace comedies doing this all the time, Ben & Leslie on Parks & Rec, Amy & Jake on Brooklyn 99, Amy & Jonah on Superstore, etc. Must we do this every time? Ugh, this shy slow build up of their "romance" is just exhausting to watch and you just know the show will drag out them getting together with random stupid excuses as to why they should not be together, and then there will be a stint where they are together but they try to hide it only for everyone to find out.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Was anyone besides me happy to see Jacob’s boyfriend?

I was very surprised to see him leading students in singing religious songs (i.e., mentioning Jesus) in a public school.  I understand that the bulk of the student body is likely Christian (despite the ecumenical nature of the cookies), but promotion of a particular religion seems off.  I guess it happened because he's not "officially" there, just visiting, so there's no oversight.

And actually, that's something that I would have expected Jacob to be opposed to in a public-school setting!

5 hours ago, Height-Nonchalance said:

Good episode but can we talk about Gregory's casual outfit?  What was with that gold chain?  Do people still wear those things?

And he definitely needed a coat.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Janine needs to go to a sports bar to meet men. She likes basketball and she can concentrate on the game instead of making small talk. I was annoyed with Barbara and Melissa they wanted to exclude Janine but they tolerated Jacob? I thought he was really annoying. I liked Gregory's friend and seeing Zack again.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I agree it's wrong, but I've seen plenty of public schools pushing Christian songs, decorations, etc. 

Janine had the most low key but sensitive approach for a change! Those cookies with frosting to respect each child's situation were subtle-- if you look away from the screen, you miss it, but at least she was trying.

Fundamentally, though, the entire school was decked out in Christmas, so there really wasn't any salvaging possible if what you want is no religion or religious equity in the school.

I thought Jacob was annoying because first he asked to be invited to a private, off-hours celebration, and then he trashed the whole thing. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

That one Jehovah's Witness kid with his blank cookie! Janine's totally right, the kids are just celebrating two weeks without school, you can call it Christmas Break or Winter Break or Holliday Break, the kids just want to go home. Although I am sure that the kids appreciated Janine's cookies of many festivities. 

At first I thought that Jacob was being weird about Christmas because his boyfriend didn't invite him for his family Christmas and he was feeling bad, but I like where they went with it instead. Jacob is always a lot but he was extra cringe in this one, but he came around in the end, he looked so happy when Melissa was all excited to get her $3. I feel really bad for him, I can see Jacob coming from a dysfunctional family, sort of like how Janine having a neglectful mother explains a lot about her. Good thing Mr. Johnson was there to save Christmas. "What were they trying to sell? Red noses?" 

Erika is such a great reoccurring character, Janine really needs a friend like her to push her out of her comfort zone. She and Gregory got so close...

The kids decorating Gregory like a Christmas tree was adorable. 

• Like 2
  • Love 18

Just enough Ava in the episode, with so many one-liners, I think my favorite was "give me something cheap so I can spit out" ROFL.  I liked Mr. Johnson speaking some truth to Jacob. And Andre Igoudala (sp?)! He won his championships with the Warriors but us Sixers fan were happy for him (at least this one was).

Nice ep to break on. Do we have a date for the January return?

• Like 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was very surprised to see him leading students in singing religious songs (i.e., mentioning Jesus) in a public school.  I understand that the bulk of the student body is likely Christian (despite the ecumenical nature of Barbara's cookies), but promotion of a particular religion seems off.  I guess it happened because he's not "officially" there, just visiting, so there's no oversight.

There are still some public school districts that have their students pledge allegiance to the flag.  Lots of lawsuits dating  back to the 40s up to just several years ago  have been filed in various places regarding the 'One Nation Under God' clause in the pledge.  And yet it persists.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was just saying last night how I'm not really feeling all that Christmas-y this year and this episode may have just flipped the script! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! 

Maurice is cute! Janine should give him a chance because she needs a few rebound relationships under her belt before she and Gregory become the O-T-P - cause you know that is happening. They both just have to get rid of a bit of their adorkableness. 

Poor Jacob. He would annoy the crap out of me as a co-worker but I know the holidays are hard for a lot of people for a lot of reasons. Thank goodness for Mr. Johnson talking some sense into him. 

Melissa's "liquor coat" will make it 42 degrees! HA! 

I missed seeing the kids this episode but it was nice to spend so much time "out of school." 

And Ava! Are you...evolving??? Color me surprised that she not only extended the invitation but that Janine accepted it. 

Warm fuzzies! 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Janine was a total smokeshow in her little dress, I can see why Gregory couldn't keep his eyes off her. And her little "booby dance" was hilarious. I don't know if I want Janine and Gregory together but they were the perfect blend of hot and awkward in this episode. 

Ava was hysterical and I'm still laughing she has a famous, long term boyfriend no one knows about. And that she put her name in the secret Santa hat multiple times. 

Was Erica making out with Gregory's friend at the end? 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

I absolutely loved this episode. Look, I get that the Janine/Gregory pairing is an inevitability and though I haven't resented it at all, I also haven't been that invested in it either. But tonight? I squee'ed when his eyes popped out of his head when he saw her in her dress (she looked sensational!) and I shrieked when the camera caught him staring at her and he immediately looked up and away and I clapped when he "casually" wandered over and sat next to her and I sat wide-eyed and mouth agape when the two of them were dancing together. I loved their shy almost-flirting and I about melted when he said, "Beautiful" when they were outside and the snow started to fall. I'm now 100% fully on board with them eventually getting together as long as they have more of these sweet, awkward moments between them before it happens.

Ava looked gorgeous in her dress and her coat, and I want her little sparkly purse. I loved her, "Give me something cheap so I can spit it out. (drink, spit) Hit me up again." And her absolute disdain when she said to Janine, "Did you think I was single?" Hilarious.

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also Janine's nervous "booby dance" was funny.

I was howling. Erika should have turned her to face the bouncer while she was doing that; they wouldn't have been in that line for very long.

• Like 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Harvey said:

I said it back when I watched ep 1 on season 1, because the setup / hinting was just disgustingly obvious, but DO NOT TURN GREGORY AND JANINE INTO A COUPLE!!! Gosh I am so tired of workplace comedies doing this all the time, Ben & Leslie on Parks & Rec, Amy & Jake on Brooklyn 99, Amy & Jonah on Superstore, etc. Must we do this every time? Ugh, this shy slow build up of their "tomance" is just exhausting to watch and you just know the show will drag out them getting together with random reasons.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just feel like this is Jim and Pam all over again.

I agree with both these posts.  I think Janine and Gregory would be much better off as friends and I really don't want to see another awkward tv romance.   But they're probably going there next season. *sigh*

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

- Mr. Johnson got it on with Dorothy Hamill (allegedly)

And he was a nude model! 😄

Ava gets on my nerves and I still don't like her, but I have to admit she was smokin' in that Santa Claus outfit. 

It was nice to see Zach again.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, emma675 said:

No.  I think Maurice, the one who was talking to Janine in the end is actually Gregory's friend.  He mentions Gregory talking about her and the egg drop.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Good thing Mr. Johnson was there to save Christmas. "What were they trying to sell? Red noses?" 

Tell Mr. Johnson the story was written for Montgomery Ward's annual Christmas book giveaway, not to sell a specific item.
I had some trouble printing out the link for "Robert L. May and the Story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," so here are some excerpts:

"Throughout the 1930s the Montgomery Ward Company had been buying coloring books, which they gave away to customers during the holiday season. This promotion was extremely successful, but it was also becoming extremely expensive. So in 1939, the advertising department decided to take a different approach: they would create their own promotional item to give away.  On their staff was 34-year-old Robert L. May, who was well known among his peers for the limericks and children’s stories he loved to write. 

In 1939, 2.4 million copies of Rudolph were distributed at Montgomery Ward’s stores to happy holiday shoppers. By 1946, even with paper shortages during the war years, more than six million copies of the Rudolph booklet had been distributed and Montgomery Ward had a bona fide sensation.

May created Rudolph at the behest and under the employment of Montgomery Ward Company, thus the company held full and sole proprietorship of Rudolph.  Back in 1939, when May created Rudolph, his wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness and ultimately died, leaving May, not only widowed, but with horrendous medical debts, as well. In 1946, the company gave Rudolph’s copyright to May. Thus, Rudolph’s creator finally had sole ownership of his creation."

Edited by buckboard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 8
Just now, irisheyes said:

The kids aren’t the only ones celebrating two weeks with no school. I’m just sayin’. 😀

Right?? That first holiday season after graduation was ROUGH. "What do you mean I have to use my own PTO? Don't you just close?" 

Sigh. So young. So naive. 

• Hugs 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

I loved everything about this episode but i just don't like Ava.  Guess i am in the minority but her snobby entitled attitude just rubs me the wrong way. 

Ok. I love her. Love her.

I HATE that she is the principal. HATE. I don’t understand this. It undermines the rest of the show for me, which is a sweet sad funny relationships comedy that actually is making pointed, relevant critiques about public policies, and there is Ava. And the sexual harassment stuff just isn’t funny. I don’t believe that character would do that either. It’s perplexing that this is in the show.

I wish there were some other role for her. If you need an out of it, unfairly in the principal job character… whatever the janitor is doing could have been perfect for an unqualified leader.

I taught high school, so I don’t know what kind of other people are around at elementary school that could be Ava. PTA president? Education consultant? School nurse? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

A sign that Abbott Elementary is a hit show everybody wants to appear in now: They leveled up the guest stars and cameos from Jim Gardner and Gritty to Leslie Odom Jr., Vince Staples, and Andre Iguodala.

I'm a Warriors fan who used to be from the Bay Area. Misspelling Iguodala's name would be like a person who claims to be a Star Trek fan referring to Kirk's first officer as "Dr. Spock."

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Janine was a total smokeshow in her little dress, I can see why Gregory couldn't keep his eyes off her. And her little "booby dance" was hilarious. I don't know if I want Janine and Gregory together but they were the perfect blend of hot and awkward in this episode. 

Ava was hysterical and I'm still laughing she has a famous, long term boyfriend no one knows about. And that she put her name in the secret Santa hat multiple times. 

Janine looked gorgeous. She might be my favorite character on TV right now.

22 minutes ago, KarenX said:

And the sexual harassment stuff just isn’t funny. I don’t believe that character would do that either. It’s perplexing that this is in the show.

I agree that the sexual harassment is cringe.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JenLily said:

I about melted when he said, "Beautiful" when they were outside and the snow started to fall.

I said “awww” out loud. I think I’m getting more sentimental. The way he looked at her was lovely.

2 hours ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Right?? That first holiday season after graduation was ROUGH. "What do you mean I have to use my own PTO? Don't you just close?" 

Sigh. So young. So naive. 

I used to work somewhere (actually, two different places, now that I think of it) that closed between Christmas and New Years and no lie, it’s something I’m going to look for in my next job.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
On 12/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, KarenX said:

Ok. I love her. Love her.

I HATE that she is the principal. HATE. I don’t understand this. It undermines the rest of the show for me, which is a sweet sad funny relationships comedy that actually is making pointed, relevant critiques about public policies, and there is Ava. And the sexual harassment stuff just isn’t funny. I don’t believe that character would do that either. It’s perplexing that this is in the show.

I wish there were some other role for her. If you need an out of it, unfairly in the principal job character… whatever the janitor is doing could have been perfect for an unqualified leader.

I taught high school, so I don’t know what kind of other people are around at elementary school that could be Ava. PTA president? Education consultant? School nurse? 

Brilliant! They should bring in a school nurse next season!

On 12/8/2022 at 5:47 PM, qtpye said:

She might be my favorite character on TV right now.

Gregory is mine.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

There are still some public school districts that have their students pledge allegiance to the flag.  Lots of lawsuits dating  back to the 40s up to just several years ago  have been filed in various places regarding the 'One Nation Under God' clause in the pledge.  And yet it persists.

It’s state law in Florida to recite the pledge daily in school. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Useful 4

It has very similar beats to Jim and Pam from The Office - but the entire SHOW is inspired by The Office.  The coworkers, some quirkier than others, some get along and some don't, the confessionals to the camera, the looks to the camera, people in roles that they shouldn't be, promoted to tiers that they shouldn't have been - this is all The Office style.  And The Office didn't even come up with it.  Ricky Gervais and Stephen Marchant created the original "The Office" in the UK.  And Curb your Enthusiasm even came before THAT (Curb is certainly a mockumentary, but it never breaks the fourth wall.)

The show is very clear about its influence, and that's why I don't mind it.  It's understood.  I think that's why the romance doesn't bother me.  "The Office" style mockumentary sitcoms have now become its own genre, with so many shows doing their own version now.

I don't mind the will they won't they romance because it's pretty realistic to real life when you work at a job, especially when all the coworkers are of similar age.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I went to a public elementary school and we recited it every Monday — I sometimes wonder if it was also done to also teach kids repetition/paying attention. This episode only made me think of it because we had a JW classmate who was always seated for it, and would also get similar but different activities if we were making Santas or Valentine’s Day projects.

The religious songs surprised me a bit, too, but Go Tell it on the Mountain was always my favorite hymn as a kid!

Barbara and Melissa may be cliquey, but I seriously love them as friendship goals. I also like that they have brought in Erika as a friend of Janine. She doesn’t get to be funny that much, but she’s not obnoxious and serves her purpose well. A lot of the club scenes reminded me of my youth, or the kind of clubs that my brother still frequents. (They’re always in a basement and you’re always yelling over the music and just lying that you heard what the person said, just like Janine and Gregory were doing. Heterosexual SHENANIGANS, I tell you.)

Jacob was annoying but if Janine’s love language is Gifts, his is Acts of Service. I love that Barbara appreciated the sentiment and praised him like she would a five-year-old, and Melissa was genuinely happy about the scratch-offs, as I would be, too.

Ava putting herself a bunch of times in the gift exchange was in character and kept the scene going, but I loved the unlikely combos we got! This is the joy an ensemble show.

Janine - Janitor

Janitor - Melissa

Everyone Else - Ava 

• Like 3
  • Love 4

This episode was my least favorite of the series to date, by a long shot. I didn’t like virtually the entire episode being about the teachers’ personal lives.

And I lost a lot of respect for Gregory - about to kiss Janine when he’s got a girlfriend. Plus his girlfriend is a student’s mother while Janine’s a coworker - and his previous girlfriend was his other coworker’s daughter. He just screams mess to me now. I think Janine can do better than a guy who has no sense of boundaries.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It has very similar beats to Jim and Pam from The Office - but the entire SHOW is inspired by The Office.  The

Good reminder. They even got the show’s most prolific director, Randall Einhorn, to direct the pilot.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Quinta looked fantastic in that dress and the straight hair. Her hair always looks great, but the change was fun. When Gregory and Janine were dancing after they'd stopped doing middle school dance moves and were dancing like 2 adults in a club, I was struck by how unawkward it seemed. 

I loved Janine's present to Mr. Johnson, especially because he appreciated it. I was glad when Ava invited Janine to keep partying with her and her boyfriend. It was nice, but also had that edge of Ava evaluating people and deciding they're good enough to be seen with her, plus her desire for people to not waste an outfit.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
On 12/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, Height-Nonchalance said:

Good episode but can we talk about Gregory's casual outfit?  What was with that gold chain?  Do people still wear those things?

Yes. It's a gold chain.

You see it a lot less during the day but of course.

19 hours ago, cinsays said:

I loved everything about this episode but i just don't like Ava.  Guess i am in the minority but her snobby entitled attitude just rubs me the wrong way. 

People complain about her every single week. Every week.

Most of the characters can be annoying but most characters here are also more balanced out than Ava is.

Ava will always be Ava. Shes more fun to me when thry dont lean on the cruelty as much.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

And I lost a lot of respect for Gregory - about to kiss Janine when he’s got a girlfriend. Plus his girlfriend is a student’s mother while Janine’s a coworker - and his previous girlfriend was his other coworker’s daughter. He just screams mess to me now. I think Janine can do better than a guy who has no sense of boundaries.

This is like Pam and Jim too....both of them had significant others--Pam at the times they first kissed,  and Jim when they got together. I guess it's to add to the angst and the push/pull but I can never fully root for a couple when their relationship is springboarded from betrayal and cheating. It just bugs me. If you're into someone, maybe don't be a relationship with someone else til that all gets resolved one way or other. 

Otherwise, I do think Janine and Gregory are cute together. Just break up with the girlfriend before moving in on Janine. Don't be creepy. 

Workplace romances don't bother me tho. It's legit how a lot of people meet. Almost everyone I've ever been involved with was a coworker, on some level, including my now-husband. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I did watch The Office, but I am still entertained by Janine and Gregory's budding romance. As with any scenario like this, I hope it does not limp along too long. I am ok if they remain just friends or become a couple, but that has to be wrapped up at the end of this season or the beginning of next season for me.

I like the Ava character in small doses, but this episode with her was fine. I was entertained.

• Like 1
  • Love 4