Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: A Little Weed and a Bad Seed

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"Oh, my god, I wasn't muted!" 

Got a good laugh out of that line, along with, "Yeah, but I think Snoop Dogg's busy making cupcakes with Martha Stewart" and Dan saying that weed store looked like what would happen if Seth Rogen and Willy Wonka had a baby :D. 

I was with Darlene this episode in regards to Beverly Rose. I get wanting the other kids to get a chance to speak, and they'll have an easier time learning things if they get the chance to talk. But I also don't think a kid should be made to be quiet if they do know the answers. I'm glad Becky defended Beverly at the end - and I love how she was all, "You've been Conner'd!" :p. 

(Meanwhile, as a kid who was naturally quiet in school, I had teachers commenting that they wished I spoke up more. Kids either talk too much or not enough, it's like there's no middle ground.)

The story with Jackie and Dan was fun - and it made me think of the infamous episode where Dan and Roseanne found their old stash of weed ("Is this the sink? Am I shrinking?") :D. I got a kick out of how Harris was giving Dan advice on this stuff, and how he was actually taking her advice. We really have come a long way with this topic on TV, haven't we :p? 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10

I really don't understand this Beverly Rose story -- do the other kids not raise their hands or had Beverly Rose been yelling out answers? I may have been distracted, but I thought her teacher specifically called on her about the rectangle. 

Further, if that teacher had said "my littles" even just one more time, man...

EDIT: OK, I just had to find out, so I checked: BR is raising her hand, but also saying the answer as she does it. But part of my point remains: the annoying-as-fuck teacher needs to maybe reiterate that BR needs to wait until she is officially called on. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 12
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I love Becky's (first) outfit.

I liked it, too! Especially the red jacket. 

41 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

YES. Seriously.... 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

That teacher's behavior was not believable to me.  I think a real teacher would ask the kids to wait to be called or to raise their hands first so she can choose whose turn it was to answer.  A teacher who would simply ask a precocious child to stay quiet doesn't fly.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Got a good laugh out of that line, along with, "Yeah, but I think Snoop Dogg's busy making cupcakes with Martha Stewart" and Dan saying that weed store looked like what would happen if Seth Rogen and Willy Wonka had a baby :D. 

I was with Darlene this episode in regards to Beverly Rose. I get wanting the other kids to get a chance to speak, and they'll have an easier time learning things if they get the chance to talk. But I also don't think a kid should be made to be quiet if they do know the answers. I'm glad Becky defended Beverly at the end - and I love how she was all, "You've been Conner'd!" :p. 

(Meanwhile, as a kid who was naturally quiet in school, I had teachers commenting that they wished I spoke up more. Kids either talk too much or not enough, it's like there's no middle ground.)

The story with Jackie and Dan was fun - and it made me think of the infamous episode where Dan and Roseanne found their old stash of weed ("Is this the sink? Am I shrinking?") :D. I got a kick out of how Harris was giving Dan advice on this stuff, and how he was actually taking her advice. We really have come a long way with this topic on TV, haven't we :p? 

That was one of my favorite episodes when they found the weed.

As another silent kid, some kids don't want to be called on not because they do or don't know the answer but being in the spotlight stresses them out. Teachers need to realize not all kids are the same. I hated when my daughter was in school and wasn't reading at the same level as Becky or Darlene and was put into reading classes. They had wanted all the kids to read so many words in whatever time and those kids got prizes but didn't have a clue what they read, where as my daughter who was reading slower knew what she read.  Teacher i know have to maks sure that the kids are passing the tests that they test for every other year but teachers need to understand not all kids learn or read at the same levels. It doesn't make a kid smarter or dumber than the others, just each one is different, not all kids are talkers either. But encouraging kids to not speak up is bs. Some kids get bored because they do know things the other kids don't. Jackie was right in saying that Beverly Rose needs to find out who she is and be hee own person and no teacher should be putting that light out. Maybe call on each kid and then if they don't know the answer you call on another. Some kids aren't comfortable talking in front of people and others are. Every kid is different 

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 6

So…did the teacher who was like 40 say that she was Darlene’s third grade teacher? Or was she saying she was a classmate?

The makeup team needs to invest in new makeup. Every single person looked jaundiced, but had normal coloring on their necks and hands.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Aileen said:

So…did the teacher who was like 40 say that she was Darlene’s third grade teacher? 

That seemed to be the implication but there's no way that teacher is old enough to have taught Becky and Darlene.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Aileen said:

So…did the teacher who was like 40 say that she was Darlene’s third grade teacher? Or was she saying she was a classmate?

The makeup team needs to invest in new makeup. Every single person looked jaundiced, but had normal coloring on their necks and hands.

I thought the teacher had been a student in Darlene’s class and remembered her mother going off on the teacher and then realized Becky was one of those Conners. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

Another episode that focused on relationships within the family instead of the newbies or randoms -- thank you, show!

Did I miss something in the first minute of the show (I tuned in just a little late) to explain why Becky assumed the kindergarten teacher was a man?  Something like 90% of them are women!

Beverly Rose raised her hand and got called on.  If the teacher doesn't want her to always be the one answering, call on other students!  I love Beverly Rose complaining it takes the other kids too long to answer, and then they do it wrong.  And that she likes knowing all the answers more than she dislikes getting a yellow clothespin.  But Darlene and Becky need to tone it down with telling her she's smarter than all the other kids and, especially, they're losers; she's smart, but still too young to get the full context -- as evidenced by her telling the other kids it's okay they're not as smart as her to begin with, and then going aggro after her talk with Darlene.

But I love how Becky stepped in when she realized how far to the extreme the teacher wanted to take it, with Beverly Rose not participating at all.  Her rant about the sexist bullshit the teacher was setting Beverly Rose up for was fantastic.

LOL at Darlene having been made crossing guard in the most dangerous intersection farthest away from school without a reflective vest.

"You don't need to dump any more trash onto that landfill you call a body."  Ha!

It's a great sign of progress to contrast the way Dan reacted to Harris smoking weed to how they got angry in the fantastic "Stash From the Past" episode in the original series when they thought Roseanne's old pot was David's.  (I know Harris is older, and that makes a difference, but it was still refreshing.)  Dan and Jackie were fun together when he ate too many gummies, and then Harris made it even better.

• Like 2
  • Love 11

All this talk about pot between Dan & Jackie, and there was NO reference by either of them to them getting high in the bathroom? That disappointed me, I won't lie. I knew flashbacks might be impossible, because Roseanne is right there next to them in those scenes and the show obviously doesn't want to show any old scenes with her, but even a callback to one of Jackie's classic lines would've been great. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, UYI said:

but even a callback to one of Jackie's classic lines would've been great. 

"Nobody loves me ... it's just me and my ganja."

"Is this the sink -- am I shrinking?!"

"The jig is up!"

I have no issue with the characters not mentioning to each other the events of "Stash From the Past", as I think that's realistic given how much time has passed and how attitudes have changed (as I said, I find the casual nature quite refreshing), but I think that last line of Jackie's would have been great integrated in a way that works in this episode and brings a smile as a callback. 

• Love 8

Although the teacher was wrong with her approach, I didn't think it was Darlene's place to go against Becky's wishes and tell Beverly Rose to do the opposite of what her mother told her.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I thought the teacher had been a student in Darlene’s class and remembered her mother going off on the teacher and then realized Becky was one of those Conners. 

Yes! I just rewatched it and she was Darlene’s classmate. I was raging loudly at the tv when I thought they claimed she was her teacher so I didn’t think to rewind and replay it ;)

Edited by Aileen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

The teacher was definitely a classmate of Darlene's. I thought Darlene was outa line going against what Becky had told Beverly Rose, but the storyline was muddled. Clearly, there needed to be a conversation about treating classmates with respect, waiting your turn, AND still being able to speak up assertively when she knew the answers. I did like Becky's little rant about how the teacher was setting up BRose to learn defer to the patriarchy, but really just a 2 minute convo clarifying the answering protocol (raise your hand, wait til you're called on) would have done the job. 

Me, I never wanted to be called on, even though I usually knew the answer. BRose is not an introvert, clearly. 

Dan:  "My feet are on the wrong FEET." Made me lol. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

but really just a 2 minute convo clarifying the answering protocol (raise your hand, wait til you're called on) would have done the job. 

And the teacher should have been able to address that with BR herself without bringing her mother into it on Day 1. It's the first day of Kindergarten; the kids are still figuring out how the whole school thing works. Give them some time (and teach them!) before you decide one of them is a huge behavior problem. It's not like she was hitting other kids or something that would warrant early intervention.

Also, was Becky getting there early to pick her up? Why are parents showing up when the class apparently isn't even finished with the lesson?

Also also, why are they going into the classroom? Even when I was a kid (and I started K in 1980), parents weren't roaming the halls and showing up in the classroom to do pickups (I took the bus but if my mom had to pick me up early for some reason she'd go to the office and they would call my classroom and have me come down when she got there). These days, no way are parents just going wherever they want in the school. They'd be waiting at a pickup spot outside until the kids are let out.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, cdnalor said:

That teacher's behavior was not believable to me.  I think a real teacher would ask the kids to wait to be called or to raise their hands first so she can choose whose turn it was to answer.  A teacher who would simply ask a precocious child to stay quiet doesn't fly.

When I was like Beverly Rose the teachers used to tell me they knew I knew the answer but they wanted to see if anyone else did.  Then they would tell the class they'd wait until someone else raised their hand.  If no one answered they'd say, "I can't believe NO ONE knows the answer".  Then they'd start calling on people unasked, which everyone hated.  

I thought Beverly Rose told her mother that the teacher did ask other kids to answer but when they did they gave the wrong answer every time.

When I was in that situation it became clear that I was in the wrong class and was moved the next year into another one where that didn't happen so much.  That has its own problems because then I got the impression that I wasn't so smart when the truth was I was put into a class of other people who were more on my level that way.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The kid playing Beverly Rose is good. It's fun to see her becoming a real character now that she's a little older.

I've only ever been to one weed dispensary, but they did not have any product on display. It's all hidden behind a safety wall. You order from someone who has a tablet showing the product then stand in line while someone behind the wall fills your order and drops it through a slot for the cashiers to ring up. Someone who lives in a legal state can tell me if it's different there - the one I went to was in Illinois, though, and it was a chain. 

You also don't get the same mental high from edibles that you do from smoking weed. You get all the physical effects, but not the ones Dan was freaking out on like thinking his feet had been switched. Weed also doesn't do a lot for pain management.

• Useful 3
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I really don't understand this Beverly Rose story -- do the other kids not raise their hands or had Beverly Rose been yelling out answers? I may have been distracted, but I thought her teacher specifically called on her about the rectangle. 

EDIT: OK, I just had to find out, so I checked: BR is raising her hand, but also saying the answer as she does it. But part of my point remains: the annoying-as-fuck teacher needs to maybe reiterate that BR needs to wait until she is officially called on. 

13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Or even find a way to channel the positive aspects of her eager behavior into something else that doesn’t take away from the other kids.

Sadly this happens to girls, particularly girls of color and it always comes from female teachers.

If Beverly Rose was a boy they would have had him tested for being gifted.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I’m glad Becky had Beverly Rose’s back in the end.  Beverly Rose wasn’t doing anything wrong, the teacher needs to call on other kids and manage her classroom better.  And I’m sorry but a five year old who doesn’t know the difference between a dog and a cat?!  I was eye rolling right along with Beverly Rose (I know all children develop differently but in general I feel most would know the difference at that age).

”My feet are on the wrong feet!”  LMAO!  I actually laughed at loud.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

”My feet are on the wrong feet!”

Followed by Jackie moving her hands around, pretending to put them back on the right feet and Dan's grin when he manages to walk to the couch.  

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Also also, why are they going into the classroom?

When my first kid was in JK/SK, (2004-2005 in Canada)   we were allowed to go into the school to pick them up.  Eight years later, with my second kid, the security had changed and we had to wait outside for them to be released to us.  

The first few years of my school life, my report cards read: Perkie doesn't speak up enough in class.  The later years, the report card comments were: Perkie talks too much in class.   PIck a lane, teachers!!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But part of my point remains: the annoying-as-fuck teacher needs to maybe reiterate that BR needs to wait until she is officially called on. 

Edited 22 hours ago by TattleTeeny

As fas {Ir{being a former educator} I  thought Becky was shown as a bulldozer parent who  is not teaching her daughter how to relate with other kids or show respect for other kids.  She's a show off and somewhat bratty. I don't think she had much peer contact with other kids living with the Conner and it shows.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Aileen said:

Seriously, is it intentional? Is one of the actors in liver failure and they are trying to make them all look alike? They also said the word 'yellow' several times. So weird.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Goodman and the actor who plays Neville look particularly bad. I’m sorry to be so morbid but Neville’s face reminds me of the pancake makeup they put on corpses. It’s just such an unnatural color. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the horrible makeup.

I'm struggling to figure out who was the biggest idiot in the Beverley Rose plot. Darlene for interfering and basically placing a target on Beverley Rose's back because arrogant little **** never get bullied? Becky for teaching her daughter that being a teacher's pet is the most important skill in school? The teacher who was not able to find ways to handle the situation at all? This could have been a great lesson about social skills but since that's never been the Conners forte I guess I can't blame them. The teacher on the other hand *sigh*

On the plus side - Harris was likeable. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
On 10/19/2022 at 8:34 PM, Annber03 said:

I was with Darlene this episode in regards to Beverly Rose. I get wanting the other kids to get a chance to speak, and they'll have an easier time learning things if they get the chance to talk. But I also don't think a kid should be made to be quiet if they do know the answers.

I think they should raise their hand (if that's the rule) and wait until they are called on.  It teaches them patience, not subservience.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:50 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That was enraging.

23 hours ago, cdnalor said:

Yes.

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Did I miss something in the first minute of the show (I tuned in just a little late) to explain why Becky assumed the kindergarten teacher was a man?  Something like 90% of them are women!

I wondered about that also.

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dan and Jackie were fun together when he ate too many gummies, and then Harris made it even better.

Thank goodness there wasn't a subplot about Beverly Rose eating a gummy.  The family is too careless to have edibles with a child in the house.

12 hours ago, luna1122again said:

I thought Darlene was outa line going against what Becky had told Beverly Rose, but the storyline was muddled. Clearly, there needed to be a conversation about treating classmates with respect, waiting your turn, AND still being able to speak up assertively when she knew the answers. I did like Becky's little rant about how the teacher was setting up BRose to learn defer to the patriarchy, but really just a 2 minute convo clarifying the answering protocol (raise your hand, wait til you're called on) would have done the job. 

Agreed.

6 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

And I’m sorry but a five year old who doesn’t know the difference between a dog and a cat?!  I was eye rolling right along with Beverly Rose (I know all children develop differently but in general I feel most would know the difference at that age).

I also think most kids would have known that was a picture of a dog, not a cat.  And the kids were expected to be able to read "dog" on the 2nd day in kindergarten? It made no sense.

And what's with kindergarten finishing at noon?  Don't most parents work nowadays?  Unless that was just a first day of school thing.

And I understand Becky being emotional about Beverly Rose starting real school, but she was almost crying about being separated from her for a few hours.  Hasn't BR been babysat by her aunts, her dad, and wasn't she also in daycare?  The whole school plotline was carelessly written.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

And what's with kindergarten finishing at noon?  Don't most parents work nowadays?  Unless that was just a first day of school thing.

My kindergarten was only a half day. My school had three classes for each grade except K, which had two classrooms, but morning and afternoon sessions so there were actually four (slightly smaller) classes.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

As fas {Ir{being a former educator} I  thought Becky was shown as a bulldozer parent who  is not teaching her daughter how to relate with other kids or show respect for other kids.  She's a show off and somewhat bratty. I don't think she had much peer contact with other kids living with the Conner and it shows.

There's no reason that both (Bulldozer Becky and Annoying Teacher) can't be true, and it's not like Becky would be in the classroom daily being a bulldozer, so the teacher -- who is there every day -- needs to establish a system for answering; it seemed like she was jumping the gun a little bit to assess BR's personality (though I suppose why not mention it while Becky just happened to be there?). That said, it's the kids' first day in the educational system; it's all new to them and they should be given a minute to understand. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My kindergarten was only a half day. My school had three classes for each grade except K, which had two classrooms, but morning and afternoon sessions so there were actually four (slightly smaller) classes.

How many years ago?

18 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think they should raise their hand (if that's the rule) and wait until they are called on.  It teaches them patience, not subservience.

That was enraging.

Yes.

Thank goodness there wasn't a subplot about Beverly Rose eating a gummy.  The family is too careless to have edibles with a child in the house.

Agreed.

I also think most kids would have known that was a picture of a dog, not a cat.  And the kids were expected to be able to read "dog" on the 2nd day in kindergarten? It made no sense.

And I understand Becky being emotional about Beverly Rose starting real school, but she was almost crying about being separated from her for a few hours.  Hasn't BR been babysat by her aunts, her dad, and wasn't she also in daycare?  The whole school plotline was carelessly written.

The problem was that the plot about school was not about school but how the Connors is that trashy family that is toxic and codependent but sticks together no matter what because that somehow makes it noble.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

This is where I think the direction went wrong because Beverly Rose did raise her hand and the teacher called on her. I didn’t see her doing anything wrong or aggressive (until Darlene’s brilliant advice came along). The teacher should have called on someone else, and then if BR was still yapping teacher could have addressed it. 

• Love 7

Why is this show always trying to retcon Roseanne into being some kind of 80s helicopter mom? The only time I even remember her being mad at a teacher is when DJs teacher suggested the "special" class for him. Didn't she usually just blame her kids for whatever trouble they got into?

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, Wizardpatch said:

Why is this show always trying to retcon Roseanne into being some kind of 80s helicopter mom? The only time I even remember her being mad at a teacher is when DJs teacher suggested the "special" class for him. Didn't she usually just blame her kids for whatever trouble they got into?

The only times I remember hear dealing with the school were the barking incident and the finger picture. She must have been memorable when she was at the school because they were shocked to see Dan before he was arrested. I remember the joke that they thought he was dead because Roseanne always dealt with school issues. 

• Love 3

80s parent were less helicopter I think.

In fact, Roseanne was subdued in the pilot episode with the teacher about Darlene's barking.  She was more hands off.

Kindergarten usually was a half day..but maybe it depends on the school district. 

I think BR should have been chastised for being a know it all and not for answering all the questions.  And I don't see anything wrong with her being quiet and observant.  I think being observant is a wonderful trait to have.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

And I don't see anything wrong with her being quiet and observant.  I think being observant is a wonderful trait to have.

It is if that's natural.  My parents actually wondered if there was something wrong with me in pre-school because of how I hung back despite my numerous aptitudes at home, but the teacher - a much better one than Beverly Rose has - explained that in a group situation I evaluated before deciding what was worthwhile and how to best proceed and then greatly contributed accordingly to those endeavors.  It probably saved my introverted self a lifetime of being misunderstood in my own home.

Beverly Rose is clearly a different personality type, but one which, as with anyone, her teachers and parents will always have to figure out how to nurture and encourage without stifling, with special focus on avoiding gender stereotypes.

On her FIRST DAY of kindergarten (I can't remember if it was her first day of school, period, or if she'd been in pre-school - I think Darlene made reference to that - but pre-school was probably half day and now kindergarten is her first regular school day [at least that's how it was for me, but I'm Becky's age and child-free, so clearly things may have changed]), apparently Beverly Rose knew all the answers.  From what we saw, she raised her hand.  From what we heard, when she shot her hand up and that was quite fairly sometimes ignored in favor of waiting for someone else to ring in, that took time, and the other kids were usually wrong.  She, at this early stage, knows more than her classmates. 

That dynamic - IN WEEK ONE - is on her teacher to balance for the good of the classroom, not a sexist excuse for Beverly Rose to be made to feel she has to suppress her knowledge altogether. 

1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I think BR should have been chastised for being a know it all

No one - especially the girls and women against whom this insult is usually leveled - should ever be chastised for being a "know-it-all" unless they're pretending to know it all, but talking out of their ass.  If they actually do know the answer to most or all questions asked in a section, that's not a flaw.

Where Becky and, especially, Darlene went wrong was in going beyond saying I'm so proud of you for knowing the answers but you need to give others a shot at it, too, to telling her she's the smartest kid in class and calling the other kids losers. 

Beverly Rose is an intelligent, confident little girl who did nothing wrong.  The adults tasked with nurturing that, however, fell down pretty much all over the place.

• Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 10/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I think it depends on the state you live in.  Some places have like 3-4 hours of kindergarten others have a fuller day.

I thought Darlene was awful again…she can’t even parent her own kids now she’s trying to make Beverly Rose as rude as she is.  Becky should have asked more questions from that terrible teacher, but I’m glad she saw what the teacher was doing to BR.  I’m sure the actress that plays BR is a lovely child, but I really don’t need anymore stories centered around her.

Harris has been likable to me in 2 episodes in a row! It would have been nice for Dan and Jackie to share the edibles and have Jackie end up in the tub again 😂

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

My school district has 1/2 day kdg. Same rooms used for morning and afternoon classes. The neighboring school district has full day kdg. 

On the first day of kdg. kids are adjusting and learning where everything is; adjusting to being away from home, for some; where the bathroom is; learning the routine… Actual classes are at least a few days away.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2022 at 9:42 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That was enraging.

Yes.

Agreed.

I finally deleted this series from my DVR. Darlene hijacking Becky’s parenting was the straw. Telling Beverly Rose that her classmates were inferior?!?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 7
On 10/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How many years ago?

Sone schools still have half  day kindergarten.  My granddaughter was in one last year. 

I totally understood Becky’s rant, However maybe she should have a similar discussion  with her family regarding the insults they lob at each other and doing things like pick which bill to pay  out of a can.  What would Mary, Mark and Beverly Rose be learning from all that? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
On 10/19/2022 at 8:34 PM, Annber03 said:

I'm finally watching this and I'm not even done but I'm infuriated by the Beverly Rose storyline. The teacher asked a question and she raised her hand and answered. Who cares? That's on the teacher. The teacher can just call on someone else. But she's clearly a terrible teacher because she's using a color behavior chart which has been proven repeatedly to do more harm than good. All they do is publicly shame and humiliate kids. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 5
On 10/22/2022 at 12:18 AM, Bastet said:

It is if that's natural.  My parents actually wondered if there was something wrong with me in pre-school because of how I hung back despite my numerous aptitudes at home, but the teacher - a much better one than Beverly Rose has - explained that in a group situation I evaluated before deciding what was worthwhile and how to best proceed and then greatly contributed accordingly to those endeavors.  It probably saved my introverted self a lifetime of being misunderstood in my own home.

Beverly Rose is clearly a different personality type, but one which, as with anyone, her teachers and parents will always have to figure out how to nurture and encourage without stifling, with special focus on avoiding gender stereotypes.

On her FIRST DAY of kindergarten (I can't remember if it was her first day of school, period, or if she'd been in pre-school - I think Darlene made reference to that - but pre-school was probably half day and now kindergarten is her first regular school day [at least that's how it was for me, but I'm Becky's age and child-free, so clearly things may have changed]), apparently Beverly Rose knew all the answers.  From what we saw, she raised her hand.  From what we heard, when she shot her hand up and that was quite fairly sometimes ignored in favor of waiting for someone else to ring in, that took time, and the other kids were usually wrong.  She, at this early stage, knows more than her classmates. 

That dynamic - IN WEEK ONE - is on her teacher to balance for the good of the classroom, not a sexist excuse for Beverly Rose to be made to feel she has to suppress her knowledge altogether. 

No one - especially the girls and women against whom this insult is usually leveled - should ever be chastised for being a "know-it-all" unless they're pretending to know it all, but talking out of their ass.  If they actually do know the answer to most or all questions asked in a section, that's not a flaw.

Where Becky and, especially, Darlene went wrong was in going beyond saying I'm so proud of you for knowing the answers but you need to give others a shot at it, too, to telling her she's the smartest kid in class and calling the other kids losers. 

Beverly Rose is an intelligent, confident little girl who did nothing wrong.  The adults tasked with nurturing that, however, fell down pretty much all over the place.

Everyone should be called out for being a know it all.  It's one thing to know all the answers, it's another thing to lord it over others.  And BR has that tendency to do that.

• Applause 3

I thought the Becky/kinder teacher/BR plotline was horrible!  I was confused as why Becky thought the teacher was man.  Not just because the vast majority of kindergarten teachers are women, but I would think she would at least know the teacher's name before BR's first day.  It would have been nice if Emilio was there or at least a throw away line of why he wasn't.  I find it difficult to believe that BR is so much smarter than the other children or that the other children were so dumb they didn't know the difference between a cat and dog.  No teacher is going to tell a non disruptive student they need to stay quiet.  More times than not, the teacher will acknowledge the child's participation.  ie "Let's give another student a chance to answer", etc. Finally, I get that the teacher and Darlene were classmates 40+ years ago, but how did the teacher know Becky was a related to Darlene?  I assume BR has Emilio's last name and doesn't Becky go by Healey?  I wouldn't recognize one person I went to elementary school with back in the 80's, let alone their siblings.

No Louise again this week.  I would have preferred to see her and Dan get stoned or even Dan and Harris.  Seeing Dan and Jackie high without mentioning the Roseanne episode was a huge disappointment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

doesn't Becky go by Healey?

Conner-Healy, as far as I know (and that's how it's listed on IMDb).

6 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I assume BR has Emilio's last name

I never assume that, especially in a co-parenting rather than nuclear family situation, and in this case we don't know.  In fact, I don't even think we know what Emilio's last name is, never mind if/how it's incorporated into Beverly Rose's name.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, iMonrey said:

You also don't get the same mental high from edibles that you do from smoking weed. You get all the physical effects, but not the ones Dan was freaking out on like thinking his feet had been switched. Weed also doesn't do a lot for pain management.

I'm in Colorado and people do get the "mental high" from edibles. Tourists are routinely warned about this. And weed can be effective against pain. When I had shingles narcotics were not at all helpful, but transdermal patches that had both CBD and THC really helped the pain without giving me a "high."

• Love 3
On 10/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, iMonrey said:

I've both smoked weed when I was younger & started eating gummies this year but have never felt that me feet have been switched, someone got weed mixed up with LSD (showing my age there).

Does wonders for my back pain which narcotics don't help with much & also helps me sleep so I'm not sure where you get that it doesn't help with pain management. Numerous studies have also shown that it helps with pain management in more ways than I could ever have thought.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, iMonrey said:

I've only ever been to one weed dispensary, but they did not have any product on display. It's all hidden behind a safety wall. You order from someone who has a tablet showing the product then stand in line while someone behind the wall fills your order and drops it through a slot for the cashiers to ring up. Someone who lives in a legal state can tell me if it's different there - the one I went to was in Illinois, though, and it was a chain. 

That's the way it is in Colorado, at least the ones I've been to here.

Jackie's line about the doodah man was the one that did it for me.

• Love 1