Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Top 6 Perform + Eliminations

• Start Topic

The Top 6 dancers perform with all-stars from previous seasons, but two more contestants are eliminated. Christina Applegate is a guest judge. Rixton performs "Me and My Broken Heart."

I'm bummed out.

One lead-footed graceless tapper.  Top 6?  This is a testament to this sucky season.

One versatile but ordinary white bread tapper.

One white bread male dancer.

Two more white bread females.

YAWN

I remember Eleonore, Philip Chbeeb, Russell Ferguson, Fis-Shun... such creative forces.  Katie, Legacy, Ryan...

I think Nigel engineered to lower the bar so that the tappers float on top.  The old goat sure loves the sound of hoofs scratching the floor.

• Love 5

I've quit watching this season.

Nigel should have a 4-episode mini-competition just for tappers. I'd watch that, and we wouldn't have this nonsense of trying to integrate them into a larger, more diverse group. 

• Love 1

OK, I'll admit that Ricky was fabulous and sexy doing cha-cha with Anya, and that he did not look like a hobbit.

IKR? I actually got Colin O'Donoghue flashes for some reason which really weirded me out because in no fairytale world would Captain Hook be doing the Cha-cha.

I think that was my favorite of the night.

I know people are probably like WTFTAPPERSANDBORINGWHITEGIRL but I'm pretty happy with this final four. :) It's pretty obvious Ricky's going to win, but I think (even though her dancing isn't at the same level *coughallthehiphoppersforyears* as everyone else) Valerie is a breath of fresh air and is totally adorable.

• Love 4

I'm not sure who you're referring to here, but Casey is half Japanese and Ricky is Hispanic.

"White bread" does not refer to their skin color so much as their blandness.

This show was a huge pile of failed plastic compost.

What is this BS of Valerie making it to the Top 4 having never been challenged or criticized like the other dancers.  They put her on a swing and make Ricky do all the work.  They put her with Ryan who has to push-pull her into shape like an inflatable doll.  Then Ade lifts her up like dead weight for a whole routine.

Kill me now.

At least FikShun and Philip Chbeeb made a appearance, Ricky killed that Cha Cha like he'd been doing it his whole life, and I enjoyed Jessica's kawaii club party.

Valerie.  Total BS.

The top 4 is 50% tappers, good job Nigel.

I can't believe Valerie didn't get reamed for doing nothing in her routine this week again.

A travesty, is what it is.

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 2
IKR? I actually got Colin O'Donoghue flashes for some reason which really weirded me out because in no fairytale world would Captain Hook be doing the Cha-cha.

Thank you.  I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of doing the Cha-cha and now I know.  I think it's the combination of his eyes, the facial hair and the open shirt showing a wee bit of chest hair.  Captain Hook does have more chest hair, but then he's also a little bit older and taller!

Color me surprised...three numbers I enjoyed. Loved Jacque and Will!! I think that's the most I've enjoyed her all season and was one of my favorite dances. Ricky didn't look like Anya's little brother and I thought he did a nice job. Finally, Zack kept up with Fik-Shun and had a fun number.

Me watching Valerie's number with Ricky: "She looks so nice and light on her feet. Good for her." Turn sequence in the middle happens. "And there's the old Valerie".

Glad Ricky & Zack are in the finals. Didn't really care which girl made it. I think Ricky will win but I'm off to throw all of my votes in the Zack bucket.

• Love 4

Ricky was much better than I expected. However, I wasn't impressed with Jessica's jazz. She seemed slow, and her movements weren't sharp enough, I think.

It seemed to me like something went wrong at the end of her jazz number. She forgot steps, got lost or something because she was looking to Ade and moving slowly and was behind him. Then when the dance was over, she covered her mouth and said something to him. I really hated that number. Honestly, its rare that I enjoy a Ray Leeper number, so it was an uphill battle to start.

I've been hating on Valerie and she got a good rest during that Broadway number, but her Hip Hop was so much better than I had expected. She was lucky it was a dance made for smiling and she did well throughout. Her isolations were good, not great, but still, good.

Ricky carried that Broadway number. He did twice the dancing and with twice the spice. His Cha Cha was pretty good. I don't think he had much chemistry with Anya but he didn't embarrass himself.

Jacque's piece with Will was beautiful. That's one of the few numbers this year that is memorable.

Zack has snuck up on me and is my favourite now. His solos are amazing. The foxtrot was cute, but the best moments came from him. His Hip Hop was great. I really liked the pairing of him and Fik-shun. I've been hoping the show would break away from boy/girl pairings and this was a great start. He's not Fik-shun, but he had style and filled the stage. I'd love to see Zack do something creepy like "The Garden" or "Two Princes." I think he has the personality to pull off those sorts of characters where no one else this season does. I did hear Cat mention that Aaron was an all-star next week so I'm hoping he's there for Zack and not Valerie, but we will see.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 4

For the first time, I really enjoyed Ricky tonight in all his dances. Zach too in the hip hop and his solo, although I would have given an arm to instead see Phillip and Cyrus do that hip hop routine.

I think it's time tWitch is retired as an All-Star because I don't see anyone but him, no matter what he is doing.

Did Cat only mention three AS for next week, Robert, Kathryn and Aaron (ahhh, Aaron, how I have missed him)? Not another girl?

All I could think of during Jessica and Ade's jazz was Hairography.

So because I gorge on reality competition shows like they are Nestle's chocolates and I have a memory like an elephant, even though I thought Casey was really good in the disco, all I could think is that Anoop Desai was eliminated on American Idol the night he sang "Dim All the Lights," because the week before they saved stupid Matt so two people were let go and also Anoop was criticized harshly for his performance, but I really really liked it and it's one of my favorite AI songs on my iPhone.

Anyways. Was Jacque wearing a PANTSUIT BALLGOWN in that awful ballroom routine she did with Zach?

Also, when Valerie was doing the broadway and the move they highlighted, she was not graceful to my eye at all. Ricky looked like he was floating, and there were some moves Valerie did where her arms were moving like she's never actually moved them before in her life. It just looked awkward and galumphing to my untrained eye.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

They put her on a swing and make Ricky do all the work.

Not only that, then they show footage from the rehearsal where she screwed up (in the most tee-hee, adorable way) so that the audience could contrast and think that she did so well in the live performance.

Please, please show, for next year - make a REAL dancer (or choreographer) sit in the third seat. Applegate's overfamiliarity and faux authority really grates.

"Casey, how do you feel?"

"I feel really blessed to be here..."

"NO, no, I want to know how you FEEL, how did you feel after that dance?"

(struggling to understand what the hell she's getting at) "Uh, I can't describe..."

(triumphant look of faux wisdom) "Then you did your job, baby."

Very Corky St. Clair fake artiste-y blah blah.

• Love 13

I don't think Jessica or Valerie deserve to be in the Top 4, sigh, but whatever. They both come off as super, young or immature I guess in their dancing. Not to mention that Valerie just even technically good enough for this point in the competition. I'm rooting for Zack but Ricky's probably going to win. Rudy with a Team Zack sign though? Not Team Jacque? :P

And god. I used to love Christina Applegate but boy was she cringeworthy today. Especially that moment with Casey. Yikes.

I actually really loved the Cheesman contemporary with the ball. It'll probably be the only contemporary I remember from this season. Will was spectacular, so that helps too. I really loved seeing Philip again!

But Anya and Will. DAMN. That's all.

• Love 5
They put her on a swing and make Ricky do all the work.  They put her with Ryan who has to push-pull her into shape like an inflatable doll.  Then Ade lifts her up like dead weight for a whole routine.

This is the first time that the CHAPI department here at SYTYCD (Camoflague HipHoppers And Poppers Inadequacies) got to work with a white female tapper.  But they have sure had to work overtime covering for Valerie.  If a smile and  cheery attitude is all it takes to get you in the finals toward getting $250,000, I can sure paste one on and fly out there.  It wouldn't kill me to put down the snark for a couple of months

I like how the Bustrot, oh I mean Foxtrot was set up for Zack and Jacque (who looks so very happy now that Rudy is gone)

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7

That cha-cha was totally believable and Ricky did not look like a young child trying to wrestle with Anya, so I was really impressed.

Zack is so mesmerizing in most of his dances (keep him away from JMG - those were both really bad dances). I am deeply disinterested in tap, but I cannot stop watching Zack's musicality - he blows me away.  I loved him with Fikshun.  He had amazing musicality there.

So that's two - Ricky and Zack better-than kept up with dancers they might have easily been shown up by.

Will and Jacqui's dance was alright.  Will was transcendent; Jacqui looked like a little girl.  The dance itself made me verklempt, but Jacqui mitigated against it.  I still would prefer her over:

Jessica.  The only good thing about that dance was the two costumes together.  Apart they were ugly.  Even wonderful Ade looked soft and off I felt.  Jessica just looked awkward.

Casey and MacKenzie were alright. She doesn't strike me as a good allstar choice.  Casey and Jessica were pretty good in the disco, but it's disco, I don't really care when people too young to dance the style are doing it, it can't even be ironic which would at least be enjoyable.  Disco is dead, show.  Stop it.  Do some House or something.

Valerie and Twitch were pretty darn good - that's my favourite thing she's done. I loved the choreo.  Valerie did so much less than Ricky in their dance that I could hear Len Goodman tut-tutting about arsing around.

Zack has been my horse from the beginning -- I feel good about that whether or not he wins.

• Love 4

I hated the clown costume one with Jessica and Ade.  What was it supposed to be?  I mean style.  Really hated it.

If they get another season, I think they should raise the minimum age, it's all these teen-aged girls.  They have technical skills and personality, but not enough life experience to bring anything emotional to their dancing.  When Jacque did her ballet solo, I could see why she is on this show and not in a ballet company somewhere.  The guys were a lot better than the girls this year.  A lot. 

• Love 10
What is this BS of Valerie making it to the Top 4 having never been challenged or criticized like the other dancers.

She was actually the only one criticized a couple weeks ago, heavily.  None of them get much criticism in my opinion, unless they're about to leave the show, but she was hit pretty hard at one point.  And as far as challenge, I'd argue that she's had a bit more than some (Jessica, for example).  

But in truth...any other season I would probably want Valerie gone.  Sometimes, like in tonight's hip hop or in Bollywood a few weeks back, it seems like she's not even moving.  I love her, though.  She's got a genuine smile, I feel happy watching her even when it's heavy, clunky, or she's checking her feet every two seconds, and I don't feel like she's here and someone else was unfairly dismissed.  So it's like...what's the harm of it, really, if a nice happy kid gets to dance in the finale of dying tv show? 

The jazz routine with Jessica and Ade pissed me off, because all I could think was that they ripped off Mark's dance with Jenna from last season right down to the holding of the ponytail (pigtails in this case).  It wasn't very good on its own merits, and I'm glad the judges called out it's lack of authenticity, but their words weren't strong enough for my taste.  That choreographer is a fucking thief.  And now all I can think is that they allowed someone to steal from Mark (probably encouraged it), who I love, AND we've been denied a routine by him when he was a highlight last season. Not cool, show.

I think it made me bitter towards every routine after that, except for Jacque's cute solo and, of course, Zack and Fikshun's routine.  That was flippin' amazing.  Watching it, it felt like classic SYTYCD, and I have to say...I think I'm now rooting for Zack.  That just felt good.  

To the people who make this show- if you're going to copy your successful patterns move away from angsty contemporary stuff and copy this bring-back-random-contestants-as-choreographers thing.  Maybe layer a tweet-based contest on it.  They have something to prove, I think, they seem grateful for the opportunity, and they're pretty refreshingly awesome, imho.  Or maybe I'm just not sick of it/them yet.  In any case- more of that, please.

Side note- I hope Jasmine is getting paid a lot for that commercial.  It's on like 5 times during this show.

Oh- and if Ricky grabs his face in shock one more time I'm going to punch him.  I like him as a dancer, but jeez that's annoying.  He's not 11 years-old, and this is not Home Alone.

• Love 9

I might be the exception, but I hated the Jacque/Will routine something fierce. Mostly because the song is about nuclear war and has nothing to with first love, but also because I hate four out of five Sean Cheeseman routines. 

I also didn't like the Jessica/Ade routine. I normally melt into a puddle every time I see Ade on the screen, but this time I felt absolutely nothing. And the outfit was just horrible.

Casey and Jessica were pretty good in the disco, but it's disco, I don't really care when people too young to dance the style are doing it, it can't even be ironic which would at least be enjoyable.  Disco is dead, show.  Stop it.  Do some House or something.

Someone would have to be at least in their 50s to be "old enough" for disco, and I don't know who at that age would be up for Doriana's crazy choreo. I don't mind young people dancing disco, and there have been a few great ones on this show (Janette/Brandon was my favorite), but I felt both Jessica and Casey are too bland to capture the feel of the dance. Technically it was pretty good though.

Loved Philip Chbeeb's routine for Zack and Fik-shun! I wish they had dedicated an entire episode to all-stars as choreographers, as that was my favorite episode last season.

Ricky handled the cha-cha better than I'd expected, but I thought Anya was leading him whereas he should have been leading her.

When I saw Valerie and Twitch for the few seconds before the commercial break, my first thought was "oh great, they've put Valerie into another ugly ball gown". During the dance I kept wondering if Twitch and Allison had danced a hip-hop number at their wedding. I liked Valerie in the beginning for her joy, but she's overstayed her welcome when better dancers went home and she was never even in danger.

• Love 2

I'm happy Zack made it to the finale. He has remained my consistent favorite since the surprise of his first jazz routine at top 20.  I'm most excited about seeing Aaron as an all star, apparently doing double duty. I would loved to have heard that one of my other all time favorites, Jess LeProtto, would also come back for a stint as a tapping all star, perhaps pairing with Valerie since she is shorter. Jess' trio with Nick & the dancer from Great Britain was the highlight of that season's finale for me, such a nice balm to balance the aggravation of the Melanie coronation. When talking about the prize, I wonder if Nigel & Co. would even bother to mention that Jess, as a former SYTYCDer, will also be in the cast of On the Town as it opens this fall? His current show, Newsies, is closing soon.  I would love to see both Zack & Jess in that show if I make it to NYC anytime soon.

Speaking of short dancers, I remember how Jess was berated for disappearing during his lifts....and he was given quite a few of them with Clarice. I missed a few routines, but of the ones I've seen, I've noticed that Ricky has been given very few full lifts. He had one where Anya did a rollover on his shoulders & the modified lift at the end seemed okay. I can't remember any negative criticism of Ricky for anything he's danced. Quite the opposite. What I remember about Ricky's dancing is beautiful feet and lovely extensions. However, there is little else about his performances that I find engaging or memorable.  Zack is a bit of a sad sack during judging, but he transforms when he's performing. That, along with his versatility, makes him far more interesting for me than either Casey or Ricky have been.

I thought Jacque's solo was innovative & sweet. I would have preferred her staying over Valerie, but I'm not interested in the girls enough to get in a fret about it.

Has this season seemed extra short to anyone else? I'm just now matching names to dancers.

As I said, I look forward to the return of Aaron, but the show desperately needs a break from the small rotation of all stars with the return of Robert & Kathryn. Again.

• Love 2

I wish the format if the show would change and that the dancers didn't keep the same partners until All Star season. I think Valerie, who I do think is a great performer and genuinely adorable, made it this far because she was partnered with Ricky. And I don't care what dance they do, my eyes are on him if not just to see how he makes his body defy the laws of gravity. If she were with Rudy or anyone who left in the first 5 guys to go, she may not have stayed so long. He transcends every dance he is given. I even wish they would partner the guys with guys and girls with girls earlier. That would be far more telling ( e.g., Jacquie and Jourdan's ballet ).

I am a Jess fan, but I hated her "club" number tonight....not their dancing, just the dance. And I agree with the poster above -- disco is dead. Please bury it. I would much rather see another Bollywood.

Oh, goodness. I am seriously considering boycotting the show if Valerie wins. I'm 99.9% sure Ricky will take the trophy but there is still that small chance, considering Valerie has naver been in the bottom. She gets on my last nerves. I'm one of the people for whom the personality is far from enough and I need a great execution to keep me interested. Although she pleasantly surprised me in her hip hop it doesn't make up for the horrible execution of most other dances. I simply don't care if she has a genuine smile and that lovable personality, and that she exudes joy. Call me jaded but all of these things make me wanna go barf in a bucket if you don't have the facility to back it up with.

I really liked Jessica throughout the show but today I was a bit underwhelmed; although, in all honesty, part of it is because of the dances she had: disco and the weirdo jazz??

I was a bit shocked Casey was sent home over Zach. I like them both in a different way, but I was still surprised.

Loved Jacque and a Will's dance. Definitely a standout this season. Good job redeeming yourself, Cheesman!

Casey and McKenzie made me tear up and that's saying a lot considering I'm a sarcastic and jaded soul and I actually don't think I ever got sappy in all the years watching this show. For christ's sake, I thought Titanic sucked major ass and I couldn't wait for both of them to just die already. So it takes a lot to get me that emotional. And I'm sorry, but McKenzie is a Goddess, period! Everyone who goes "McKenzie who?" can just drop.

On a more shallow note, I wanna marry Wildabeast. His choreo, and also his dancing, is siiiiiick. On a cute note, my 4-year old has the most adorable crush on Casey. She said she likes him and that his muscles looks strong, lmao!

The finale should be interesting. Looking forward to Kathryn and Robert. Never was a fan of Aaron as he always looked very clunky to me. Him and Valerie should become a Queen and King of clunk. Hope he's paired with her instead of Zach, cuz Zach will wipe the floor with Aaron.

• Love 5

What was with Jessica being dressed up to look like an older iteration of Rainbow Brite?

It's too bad that some of the better girls got dumped first and now we are left with Jacque, who has never done anything interesting that I can see all season, Jessica who is much the same as Jacque as far as unremarkability although she has been gifted a couple of better dances, and cute but lead-footed, bent-over Valerie.  I would usually have a tendency to root for a girl but really can't now.  I guess it's Zach all the way for me since he's the most versatile left.  Also my favorite dance of the night was with him and Fiktion.

So glad to finally see Jacque go.  She has just been completely unremarkable to me AND has had some crap dances, and the combination of those two factors is usually the kiss of death for most contestants.  Can't understand it.  She didn't meet her end until she was overwhelmed by the cute.

Edited by Blue Plastic
  • Love 1

During the dance I kept wondering if Twitch and Allison had danced a hip-hop number at their wedding. 

I can't find any of the wedding video, but they did have a dance-eriffic proposal. 

As I said, I look forward to the return of Aaron, but the show desperately needs a break from the small rotation of all stars with the return of Robert & Kathryn. Again.

I'm getting bored of the same few faces. Even Twitch, though I love him, is here all the time. How am I supposed to miss him if he never goes away?

• Love 6

I still believe that Ricky is the best dancer left and I'm rooting for him, but I think Zach will win.  I think it's going to be like the Benji vs. Travis showdown when Travis was the better dancer but Benji was more popular.

• Love 2

What a strange, strange season. I keep trying to remember the remaining dancers, and I keep forgetting one -- not the same one every time, either...I'll be like, "Ricky, Zach, and uh...uh..." Or "Jessica, Jacque, and um..." Or "Valerie, Jessica, aaaaand..." I guess I'm not very connected to this group. Though Zach is my definite favorite -- I love how he transforms in each dance.

I think that Valerie and Jessica are both limited dancers in their ways, and I suspect Jessica in five years will be a much more complete performer. And (ducks) I guess I just like Valerie. I see limitations, but enjoy her. That said, boys have outclassed girls (with the exceptions of Carly -- who was robbed and Tanisha) all season. I will be shocked if Ricky doesn't win this thing. It feels a bit like Melanie all over again. And I'm fine, you know, eh fine with it. I just can't make myself care too much.

Please, please show, for next year - make a REAL dancer (or choreographer) sit in the third seat. Applegate's overfamiliarity and faux authority really grates.

"Casey, how do you feel?"

"I feel really blessed to be here..."

"NO, no, I want to know how you FEEL, how did you feel after that dance?"

(struggling to understand what the hell she's getting at) "Uh, I can't describe..."

(triumphant look of faux wisdom) "Then you did your job, baby."

Very Corky St. Clair fake artiste-y blah blah.

So so so true, Mumbles! The most major WTF moment of the night, and poor Casey.

I hope there is a next year. But I also think that last season was so much all around stronger that I have my sad doubts. Based on the quality of this season alone, I don't think it will be renewed.

• Love 3
If they get another season, I think they should raise the minimum age, it's all these teen-aged girls.  They have technical skills and personality, but not enough life experience to bring anything emotional to their dancing.

I'd like to second that and include the guys in this.  Maybe they don't have to raise the age limit, but they do have to start choosing more mature dancers instead of these young, just out of puberty people.  I laughed and shook my head a little when Will was talking about being older than Jacque and how they needed to make a connection to make the routine believable.  Now I know some people are comfortable with others in an instant, but I think when it comes to these young dancers, in most cases their discomfort is so obvious it takes away from the routine.  Just my opinion, but I think the only dancers who are comfortable with having as much physical contact as is required by this show are ballroom dancers and ballet dancers especially at the start of each new season.

I've actually started to dislike the All Star pairings because of the age and experience difference.  It starting to squick me out a bit when I see the older, mature All Star having to be sexual, romantic or emotionally connected to someone who isn't legal enough to drink in the U.S.  I think the routines that this really came to the forefront for me were the tango with Ryan and Tanisha (I think it was her - I still don't know any of the girls' names to connect with their faces) and that gross "old man and young hot girl" routine that tWitch had to do with someone.

On a positive note, I really enjoyed the Zach and Fikshun routine.  It was fun and the guys looked like they were having a good time.

Edited by Shades of Red
  • Love 1

As much as I think Ricky is a shoe-in, it would not surprise me if Zach sneaks by in the voting.  Ricky is adorable in a Hobbity way, but Zach has a charm that is more relatable and has surpassed expectation.  The number with Fikshun was so fun to watch.  He could very well pull off the win.

Aaron!  Looking so forward to seeing him again.  Between him and Robert that's going to be a lot of gorgeous man out there.

I might be the exception, but I hated the Jacque/Will routine something fierce. Mostly because the song is about nuclear war and has nothing to with first love

I know!  I thought that was the strangest choice of music they've done.  Really, show?

• Love 3

I was never a fan of tappers on the show because most of the tappers on SYTYCD tend to be quite heavy in their dancing in other styles and when they do tap, their upper body tends to be rather flaily. But Zack, man. Watching him tap is so effortless and him just skipping across that stage in his solos is delightful. Night and day from season 10 Alexis. Aaron is a very versatile dancer but I wouldn't say he was brilliant at tap. Zack would wipe the floor with him.

And I thought Jacque and Zack's Foxtrot wasn't as bad as the judges were going on about it. I mean, they've praised to heavens dances that were much worse than that? Like Valerie and Ricky's Viennese Waltz that received a standing ovation? Bus was definitely going for them and Nigel, in particular, doesn't seem to be a fan of Zack. It's always some patronizing remark like how he's shocked and proud of him, WTF?! His dance with Fikshun is also awesome. There were parts Fikshun was better and there were parts Zack did it better (especially towards the end he was so intense) but overall, it was great and the choreography is so Phillip. 

A surprise of the evening is Valerie. She's heavy footed when she's dancing other styles (even tap) but it works for her in Hip Hop. I would say her best dances this season have been her 2 Hip Hops. She just has the feel of it compared to Jessica or Jacque, who couldn't really get down. She should consider coming a Hip Hop dancer.

Jacque is lovely, but that's about it for her with me. Jessica, so forgettable. Her dances never stand out to me because her personality on stage is always blah. Ricky is amazing in what he does but doesn't really excite me. So, go Zack! I fear the bus will be coming for him next week though.

ETA: Oh yeah, Christina Applegate was annoying. I never felt this way about her before but WTF when she commented on Zack and Jacque's fake faces during the Foxtrot, when she always over-praises Jessica who has the most problem with it. And that question to Casey. Face palm.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed last night for the most part.  Hated the last Jessica jazz thing.  That was not fun.  Thought most of the rest of the dances were fun and reasonably well danced with some standouts.  I appear to be in the minority in that I liked the foxtrot with Zach and Jacque.  I thought it was fun choreography, and I thought the facial expressions were appropriate.  Thought Ricky did a really good job with Anya, but it was a struggle to watch him because my eyes were just drawn to her.  She is so amazing.  I would love to see her as a pro on DWTS!!  I liked the Jacque/Will contemporary overall, but I really loved the beginning with the ball.  Some really neat moves there.  I thought Valerie did a really good job in her hip hop with Twitch, and I loved Zach and Fikshun together.  I would have preferred to see Jacque in the top 4 rather than Jessica.  I do like Valerie and enjoy watching her, but honestly I think the top 2 girls should have been Carly and Tanisha.  Still don't know what happened there.  At this point, I suspect Ricky will win, I'd love it if Zach won, and I'd even be okay with Valerie winning it (even though I know she's got her issues).  I just really don't want to see Jessica win it.  I can never remember anything she does, and half the time I even forget she's on the show.  And I didn't care for her solo last night either.  Jacque's was a different take for ballet, and I liked it.  Valerie did well, and Ricky and Zach were amazing. 

I missed Cat saying that Aaron would be back next week, and I am so thrilled!!!  I really thought he and Jasmine should have been the winners last  year.  I adore Fikshun, but I was really rooting for a more mature dancer to win so the show might finally realize that they don't have to cast all teens to get people to watch and vote.  Didn't happen, and there isn't anyone like him this year either.  All kids.  Oh well.  Maybe next year.

• Love 3

I suspect that they gave Zack that foxtrot (paired with Jacque who they knew was going home) to make certain that Zack didn't get too many votes and take the win away for the preordained Ricky.

• Love 4

I'd be on that grassy knoll too except that putting Ricky with Anya shouldn't have gone as well as it did.

Someone should shoot the costumers for the Ade/Jessica club number...egregious.

I don't think the age limit is the issue.  I think it's who they cast, and the way the judges critique them (or don't) throughout the season.  They're so intent on telling us all how great these kids are they've let a lot of immaturity slide, imho, and they didn't do that as much as the past from what I remember.  I also think it's a perception issue on my part sometimes, because they talked a lot about how some of them grew up watching this show which to me emphasizes how young they actually are, since I've been an adult the whole time this has been on the air.  I don't think they can really get around that.

Add me to the list of those done with Christina Applegate, especially since last time she called out another judge's critiques about facial expressions and gave a note about the intentions being the most important thing only to follow it up this week with...a critique about facial expressions.  The idea of Jesse Tyler LOOKATMEDAMMIT Ferguson next week makes me shudder, but that's why there's the fast-forward button.  They should have brought back Misty.  

A surprise of the evening is Valerie. She's heavy footed when she's dancing other styles (even tap) but it works for her in Hip Hop. I would say her best dances this season have been her 2 Hip Hops. She just has the feel of it compared to Jessica or Jacque, who couldn't really get down. She should consider coming a Hip Hop dancer.

I love Valerie but disagree with this.  Her first HH routine was cool for the most part.  The one last night, though, I kept waiting for it to kick into gear.  I don't know if it was the choreography or what but things felt disjointed to me, really slow compared to the music, and as I said in another post to me it didn't seem like she was moving the whole way through.  She has certain steps that she hits well, but I have to say I think Jacque was the strongest of the final 3 girls in this style.  I enjoyed her last week, thought she did well.

I thought the hip hop routines were performed well.  I enjoyed the balls and swing routines.  I was surprised that Ricky performed so well in the cha cha, not as good as Rudy, but he should be proud.  It looked like Ray was trying to channel Mark for his jazz routine (even with holding the pigtails) but for me, it was a flop.  The foxtrot looked more like a broadway routine.  The foxtrotty parts (smoothness, rise 'n fall, carriage etc) fell apart.  The disco and other contemporary were ok.

I had picked Ricky and Jessica right a way.  I picked Valerie after being paired with Ricky.  Wasn't too sure about Zack.  But, Nigel's reaction after he hit bottom  twice should've been a clue.  He deserves it ( A.jazz, L. hip hop, jazz, paso doble, contemporary, broadway, hip hop, foxtrot).  And, he came into the competition as the better tapper.  I think Ricky deserves his slot as well.  He's had the cha cha, waltz, bollywood, hip hop, jazz, broadway and 2 contemporaries.  It's just that Nigel'em praised him for any little thing with no criticism.  And, no he didn't deserve all the praise especially after the waltz and bollywood which were just passable.  Valerie may not be as light as the contemporary dancers but she's performed well (2 contemporaries, samba, waltz, broadway, bollywood, 2 hip hops).  Jessica just had support.  She should've hit bottom after the WCS and her 1st jazz.  She hit bottom after the foxtrot (which was really good and her only ballroom).  Got a jazz for her hip hop routine, a carefully performed disco, and another jazz which was not choreographed or costumed well so not her fault, and 2 contemporaries which were great.

I would like for Zack to win since he's the darkhorse.  But, I'm not as invested in this F4.  So I would be pleased with any one of them.  They've all been challenged/have fan support.

As always: if this show is to go on, new choreographers, new styles, new All-Stars.  Every country has something to call its own.  I'd so much rather a week of traditional folk dances than more contemporary flailing.   The two hip-hop routines were highlights not only because they were well-danced, but because they felt new and fresh.

Who knew disco would put some life behind Jessica's eyes?

Fik-Shun's smile could end world wars.  

I don't think the age limit is the issue.  I think it's who they cast, and the way the judges critique them (or don't) throughout the season.

I just wish they'd stop casting so many male dancers from The Shire.  It's hard to take them seriously when they not only are but look like little boys.  It also negatively impacts the female dancers, who look ungodly awkward, especially during lifts.  

• Love 2

Will America return to a mania for tapdance not seen since the days of Little Vicki?

http://previously.tv/so-you-think-you-can-dance/tappa-tappa-tappa/"> Read the story

In the top picture there it appears that Twitch is having a wardrobe malfunction that could have unleashed little Twitch on the viewing public. 

I really liked Fikshun (how does he spell his name) and Zach's hip-hop.  Cool concept, I could have kept watching for hours.  Glad to see Philip.

Jessica's in the club dance was disappointing.  It could have been a fun, kooky number, but apparently, this show doesn't do kooky this year, which is a shame, but I don't know if Jessica could have pulled it off anyway.  And I just kept staring at the muppet pelts on her legs, which I think made her look clompy and heavy.

I liked Jacque and Will's dance.  It was really sweet.  Wish it were to different music.

I like Valerie, and recognize her shortcomings.  It is odd.  I despised Evan, and was annoyed by Cyrus, Fikshun, and all of the other "entertainers" that were just not very good outside of their own style, but kept going on because they were likeable.  But for some reason, I have fallen for Valerie.  Maybe it is because she is female, and I want to feel joy like she does.  I don't know.  I would not have been upset and would have completely understood if she was sent home before now, but I am glad that she is still around.  Maybe if there were any other women that were exceptional this year that got kicked off while she stayed I would have less affection for her, but the dancers this year are so underwhelming, that I am ok with it.

Zach is my favorite dancer left.  Hope he wins.

I still don't feel the love for Ricky.  I acknowledge his talent, he seems like a nice kid, but he never makes me feel anything much.

Still hoping for and all all-star show in 2015.

• Love 1

I agree with the top two guys, as they were my two favorites from the get go (other than Emilio, but even my fangirl heart knew he'd never make it to the finale, let alone win), but Jessica and Valerie should not have been there at all. Tanisha should've been there. The second female is a toss-up though I still would've given it to Carly. Just ugh all around. Valerie looked really elegant and graceful in the beginning of that Broadway number (even though, yes, she was just swinging for a while), but then her arms became floppy and all over the place once they were dancing. And no one called it out. Ditto with hip-hop and her movements being really sharp right after the skirt went off... then back to loose movements that weren't hard-hitting enough.

That Jessica/Ade routine was just odd and not in a good way.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from Anya during their routine, but I'm assuming Ricky did a fair job.

Foxtrot for Zack and Jacque. Really show? I saw that bus coming from a mile away. Smile pleasantly and you're golden on the Broadway routine. Grin until your face melts and get the lifts right, and disco's a breeze. There's no hiding any of that in Foxtrot, no matter how much you smile or ooze charm. Unless you're Valerie, and then everything you do is wonderful and flaw-free because you're just so gosh darn spirited and adorable. (I will note that that's why I adored her going into the top 20, but I really hate that better female dancers went and she floated her way to the top.)

I liked the opening routine. It was a lot of fun. And I spotted Phillip Chbeeb in the choreographer's row after it finished and went "HE'S CHOREOGRAPHING?!" and proceeded to spend the rest of the episode eagerly awaiting him to show up.

Speaking of which, I will say that despite loving both Ricky and Zack, Zack has inched his way into my heart and I'm rooting for him to take it all the way (which my 20 votes for him will show). He's so versatile, and the way he transforms in his performances is really something, especially as compared to how he is afterward. Kinda reminds me of Jasmine from last season. That hip-hop routine was so killer. I was worried that there'd be more focus on the shapes than straight-up dancing, but there was a good mix of both. Good ol' Phil. I really loved the synchronization, musicality and sharp movements. So tl;dr, Zack is my dark horse.

P.S. I do love Jesse Tyler Ferguson. He's no Misty Copeland as far as helpful judging and criticism goes (she is pretty much my new favorite guest judge), but his utter glee at being there is adorable. And it's the finale (or the last episode before the finale?) so there's not much left to say at this point.

I was never a fan of tappers on the show because most of the tappers on SYTYCD tend to be quite heavy in their dancing in other styles and when they do tap, their upper body tends to be rather flaily. But Zack, man. Watching him tap is so effortless and him just skipping across that stage in his solos is delightful.

And I thought Jacque and Zack's Foxtrot wasn't as bad as the judges were going on about it. I mean, they've praised to heavens dances that were much worse than that? Like Valerie and Ricky's Viennese Waltz that received a standing ovation? Bus was definitely going for them and Nigel, in particular, doesn't seem to be a fan of Zack. It's always some patronizing remark like how he's shocked and proud of him, WTF?! His dance with Fikshun is also awesome. There were parts Fikshun was better and there were parts Zack did it better (especially towards the end he was so intense) but overall, it was great and the choreography is so Phillip.

ETA: Oh yeah, Christina Applegate was annoying. I never felt this way about her before but WTF when she commented on Zack and Jacque's fake faces during the Foxtrot, when she always over-praises Jessica who has the most problem with it. And that question to Casey. Face palm.

So much yes to all three of these things. I've never been a fan of Christina's judging, but tonight was by far the worst.

• Love 2
However, I wasn't impressed with Jessica's jazz. She seemed slow, and her movements weren't sharp enough, I think.

I blame the simple choreography.  I thought the piece heavily relied on the costumes, hello Gaga ArtRave, and the dancers' quirkiness to make it interesting and to match it to the energy of the music.  Jessica and Ade aren't really quirky performers.  I had the same impression with Ray's devil piece for Emilio/Bridget.  The steps didn't live up to the "story".

What's with the lighting?  It was hard to see Valerie/Twitch's dancing with that combination of white outfits, dancing in front of a white table cloth, white spotlight, and a bright light grey background.  Also so much go-to strobe lights for 'high energy'. 

I totally agreed with the judges on the ballroom pieces.  Regardless of the actual technique, Ricky came across natural/effortless whereas Jacque showed 'thinking' on her face.  Zack is so versatile but for some reason he doesn't stand out to me unless the camera highlights him. 

The disco was a nice departure from those how-many-lifts-can-i-put-in disco routines.  It reminded me of the earlier seasons disco when the dancers actually had fun dancing it and not just preping/doing lifts the whole time.

I really like Phillip's concept for the hip-hop piece.  Zack/Fikshun were great but I felt two dancers were not enough to carry out the potential of that concept.

Maybe they don't have to raise the age limit, but they do have to start choosing more mature dancers instead of these young, just out of puberty people.

I agree that life experience can really help the dancers' performances, but I am guessing there are way more young dancers who are starting out than working dancers in their 20s trying out for the show.  

Edited by preex

This is the first time that the CHAPI department here at SYTYCD (Camoflague HipHoppers And Poppers Inadequacies) got to work with a white female tapper. But they have sure had to work overtime covering for Valerie. If a smile and cheery attitude is all it takes to get you in the finals toward getting $250,000, I can sure paste one on and fly out there. It wouldn't kill me to put down the snark for a couple of months

If there is a CHAPI department then there also must be a CLOS department (Camoflauge Lack of Swag). The department would of course be headed by Nappytabs. HIp Hop/poppers, and in this case tappers, may not be able to dance contemporary as well as trained contemporary dancers. But the contemporary dancers can't dance hip hop, popping, or tap as well as trained in those areas either. We see this just about every contemporary dancer who dances with Twitch and Comfort.

• Love 6

Hmm I think this has ended up up being one of those seasons where the closer we get to Top 4, the less interested I become in the finalists, for a lot of the reasons stated by posters upthread : immaturity, general blandness etc. 

Zack is my favorite of the lot because I do like his presence, his ability to adapt to the dances and I do enjoy his tapping. I was more drawn to Fik-Shun in that routine but Zack looked really good. I can't imagine the remaining dudes doing as well, besides Teddy & Emilio. 

I don't dislike Valerie or Jessica but I think they have more baking left to do, to use a Buffy aphorism. I don't think all dancers need to be light and floaty, there's a place on this earth for dancers who sink in a bit and are "heavy" in their roundedness but if that's what Valerie is going for she needs to commit to it fully. I liked Jessica in her auditions, I liked her first duet with Ricky but since then she hasn't really grown for me but it is also because she hasn't really been challenged. That "jazz" piece was exceedingly WTF for me. Ray Leeper is capable of better. Perhaps it was their youth showing, but yeah that disco didn't do anything for me. It was very "Time Machine" and didn't come alive. Honestly the best disco on this show was Season One's Nick and Kamilah. Not even Brandon & Jeanette could touch it. 

Ricky did fine in that cha-cha but otherwise he's turned into one of those contempo dudes with great tricks and not much else for me. That solo was trick after trick with nothing else holding it together for me. Actually, only Zack's solo felt like a dance to me. If nothing else, these solos are pulling me back down to earth as I wig out about about MY competition routine because as much as I am feeling the pressure to throw tricks, I don't want to feel like I'm not making a dance...so maybe that's where I'm coming from here.

There wasn't anything particularly innovative tonight for me in terms of styles, except for Phillip's concept for the HH. Although the emotive rolling around on the stability balls was very pretty, it didn't break new ground for me visually, and I guess after several weeks of boredom I was looking for a moment like that last night and never got it. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I've enjoyed Christina Applegate as a judge/jidge on this show before but over-familiarity seems to be a problem at this point. She sounded very condescending when she was talking to Casey and kept interrupting him when he tried to answer her inane question. Then she criticized Jacque and Zack's faces (during ballroom! A genre that practically begs for over the top faces!) but has never mentioned it when Jessica, her favorite, is concerned. Boo. 

For once, I really enjoyed the contestants' dances with each other just as much (and in some cases, a bit more) than their dances with the All-Stars. Thought the Broadway was lovely even if it was once again The Ricky Show, was pleasantly surprised to see Casey and Jessica nail the disco, and even liked the aforementioned foxtrot. I actually thought this was a great night for Valerie. Even if she didn't do that much during the Broadway number with Ricky, she captured the spirit of the dance well. And I thought the hip hop with Twitch was adorable and just the right amount of saucy. Then she performed her solo and the magic went away. At least one-trick ponies like Cyrus and Fikshun were really good at their tricks, you know? 

So a few thoughts:

Loved Jacque and Will but don't really get how it's contemporary - it pretty much looked like any of Sean Cheesman's jazz pieces but just a bit slower.  I mean typically the lines between contemporary and jazz are blurred anyway but I suppose I'm just more familiar with Cheesman's style as jazz that it threw me off.

I actually liked the disco, probably because it's different than all the endless contemporary, but at the very end when Casey picked Jessica up to spin her I was so sure they were going to replicate the spin that Jeff and Charlene did on SYTYCD Canada for their hustle and was a bit disappointed when they didn't:

http://youtu.be/7VD9nEkVdwE

I don't even know what happened with Jessica and Ade because those costumes were terrible.

I agree that none of the girls left should be the final two so I'm really rooting for Ricky or Zack.  I'm actually leaning towards Zack just because he's been challenged so much more and I would like the journey to not be so predictable, but Ricky is great too so it's fine.  Between the cha cha and the hip hop, these two are both very deserving.

Fik-Shun's smile could end world wars.

I totally agree with this.  Chbeeb did great choreography!

Who was the guest performer?  I've never heard of him (them?) before, and the song sounds like a horrible rip off of Rob Thomas' Lonely No More.

I have no idea what any of the judges were saying because I wasn't paying that much attention - I already dislike Christina Applegate as a judge (no, "shut your face" is not a thing).

• Love 1