Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Parent Traps and Heart Attacks

Pallas
  • Start Topic

If Neville and Jackie have the space to have Caleb live with them, why didn't they just have him stay there in the first place instead of making him sleep in the RV by himself the first night? Dumb.

Um...pretty sure Jackie has no authority to sign permission for Caleb to join the Marines at this point. Probably not Neville, either. They wouldn't be his legal guardians yet.

Mary looks so much older.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Mary looks so much older.

The kids grow up fast on this show! Awkward though their talk with her boyfriend was in some spots, though, I do like Becky and Darlene looking out for her as they do (and LOL at Becky being like, "At first I was worried about Mary, but now I'm worried about him!"). 

The new kid gives off strong David vibes in terms of looks. It makes sense Harris would be the one to reach out to him, though thank goodness he immediately shut down his weird attempt at hitting on her. I liked Dan's whole "Oh, please, can we keep him?!" reaction. 

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Why are they still struggling to pay bills? Darlene has a good job and the others have the hardware store and diner. Darlene's salary alone should be able to pay the monthly bills. Unless she's sinking it all into a money pit of the new house.

Not sure about the new kid. He came out of nowhere when there are many missing characters they can pull out of the woodwork. We'll see.

I know Andy is not in this universe but Jackie fawning over him seems like she's thinking this is her second chance at raising a kid right.

• Like 2
  • Love 10

I thought they said Harris was going back and forth between Dan’s and “her grandmother’s” so I was thoroughly confused – since Roseanne is dead, and David’s mom was estranged from David – until I realized it was Mary they were talking about.

All the stuff about Mary’s boyfriend - what the family was going to do to him, how Becky and Darlene wound up interrogating him, and them winding up worried about him instead of her - was funny.  Some great lines.

“Oh, great, we’re taking in an angry teen; usually we create them here and ship them out.”

The Caleb deliberation was stupid; Louise and Neville had already decided they’d invite him to live with one of them, so if they’re going to commit to that, obviously it would be Neville – since Louise lives in a house that’s already stuffed from top to bottom.  Sucks for Neville, but that’s just how it is once you've made the decision.  Like when Roseanne and Jackie were arguing in season ten over who Bev was going to live with after getting kicked out of the retirement home – sorry, Jackie, but obviously you, who has an empty bedroom.  (Becky, who had an apartment back then, stepped in, but that was short-lived and, indeed, Bev wound up with Jackie.  Who knows where she is now that Jackie has moved in with Neville.)

But Caleb's storyline also resulted in a number of funny lines, many from Harris.  And it was an interesting dynamic with Jackie being drawn to him.  But they’re not his guardians yet, so Neville can’t sign saying, sure, let this kid throw his life over to the military.  I'll let that go, though, because we don't need another regular character!

“No whammies” when picking a bill to pay was entertaining, sure, but what a stupid way to handle the monthly bills.  They should have a stable plan for who pays what percent, based on use and income, of the shared expenses.

• Love 9

Did anyone else take the electricity going off at the end of the show as a call back to the episode in season five when the electricity was shut off because they were late on their bill? Because I sure as hell did; though I suppose it could have been a coincidence---accidental continuity, I guess? 

(Side note: That episode aired thirty years ago this fall--HELLO! O_O)

I know Harris hid out in the RV when she had moved out of Aldo's place, so it may be a perfectly reasonable place to stay--but Caleb deserved better, especially considering it would be fall in Illinois right now.

If tonight is any indication, it looks like Mary is bound to be like Darlene in the relationship department--which is something that her family should be concerned about, because look where it got Darlene (specifically, in her relationship with David). 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

And is DJ making decent money? Because I'd be all over the opportunity to move to Germany if I were him. Being a dependent is a good gig, schools are decent,  and when else is a Connor going to have a chance to live in Europe? Mary's old enough to get something out of the experience 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Another Shameless reunion for Emma Kenny. First her ex brother-in-law Mickey showed up as Ed Jr. (whatever happened to him??), now her former actual brother Carl shows up as her new cousin Caleb. 

I know right? Aren't there other actors? Why do they keep hiring former Shameless cast members? The conversation between Harris and Caleb was surreal. They were brother and sister for eleven seasons. It's not like they were just guest stars on that show. (And it was weird to see Ethan Cutkosky with so much hair!)

Otherwise it was a pretty solid episode. I half wonder if we weren't the only ones complaining about "wacky Jackie" because she seems to have toned down a bit. I really like Becky and Darlene working in tandem to grill Mary's boyfriend. He seemed nice! Jumping straight to "are you trying to have sex with our niece" was ridiculously aggressive.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know the show isn't known for consistency but did they mention Geena going back into the military after the episode of her leaving it?

She told Becky she'd decided to retire, but we never heard any more about it or saw her again.  So, presumably, it's not that she left and returned, but that she never actually left.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Another revolving door episode.  Katey Sagal is back, as is Mary, and we add new kid.  Time for Mark and Beverly Rose to disappear and not be mentioned.  Also, where was Ben?   Budget must be tight.

And yeah, I was yesterday years old when I learned that Neville and Louise were brother and sister.  I didn't watch so much of the first three/four seasons, I just didn't know this. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

She told Becky she'd decided to retire, but we never heard any more about it or saw her again.  So, presumably, it's not that she left and returned, but that she never actually left.

I’m guessing she meant that she was retiring at the end of her enlistment. She can’t exactly give her two weeks notice to the army. She has to finish her enlistment and then submit retirement papers. Also depending on how long she has been in the army, she might be staying a bit longer for a better retirement check. 

• Love 3

Katey Sagal is back, as is Mary, and we add new kid.

I'm pretty sure the new kid was just a one-off for this episode. He enlisted in the Marines, so I figure he's gone by next week. There was some dialogue that indicated Jackie only got a day with him.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Overall I thought this was one of the better shows.  Darlene wasn’t the center of it and Jackie wasn’t insane.  I think it works better when you see the family working together at least somewhat. If they could limit Darlene’s role it really help.  I though the scene with her and Becky interrogating Mary’s boyfriend was pretty good and Jackie relating to being the child of an alcoholic was well done.  I even though Harris was watchable and had a good scene with the new guy. 

• Love 6
On 10/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, ams1001 said:

Um...pretty sure Jackie has no authority to sign permission for Caleb to join the Marines at this point. Probably not Neville, either. They wouldn't be his legal guardians yet.

Yes!  He said he wanted her to be his guardian.  It's not an instantaneous process.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, ams1001 said:

If Neville and Jackie have the space to have Caleb live with them, why didn't they just have him stay there in the first place instead of making him sleep in the RV by himself the first night? Dumb.

And if the RV is empty, does that mean that Mary's "room" is now shared with Mark and Harris? I hate when shows suddenly have spare rooms appear out of nowhere.  Would have been interesting to see how Ben would have reacted to all this.

I felt said for Caleb that his uncle, who recently formed a close relationship to a troubled teen boy who wasn't related to him (Mark's brief boyfriend) and who still had a mother could not find it in himself to graciously offer a home to his nephew who had no parent at all, for at least a year.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, Snow Apple said:

Why are they still struggling to pay bills? Darlene has a good job and the others have the hardware store and diner. Darlene's salary alone should be able to pay the monthly bills. Unless she's sinking it all into a money pit of the new house.

Agreed. And most of the labor is free, correct?

22 hours ago, UYI said:

Did anyone else take the electricity going off at the end of the show as a call back to the episode in season five when the electricity was shut off because they were late on their bill?

Electricity doesn't get shut off after one late bill, does it?  There would at least be urgent notices that would precede that, which someone would see.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
On 10/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, iMonrey said:

Otherwise it was a pretty solid episode. I half wonder if we weren't the only ones complaining about "wacky Jackie" because she seems to have toned down a bit. I really like Becky and Darlene working in tandem to grill Mary's boyfriend. He seemed nice! Jumping straight to "are you trying to have sex with our niece" was ridiculously aggressive.

Not to be a contrarian, but I thought this was kind of a meh episode. Glad that the latest "troubled young man who's been victimized by bad parents" isn't hanging around, but it's clear Jackie wants a perfect family with Neville. However, Caleb's "backwoods Jessica Rabbit" burn to Harris was a nifty insult, as was the "Flannel Dude" torch to Darlene. Mama Roseanne would have been proud.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Electricity doesn't get shut off after one late bill, does it?  There would at least be urgent notices that would precede that, which someone would see.

"I can't believe they're cutting us off after the very first final notice."

That's from the episode in the original series in which their electricity is cut off, and, yes, in that one, they were several months behind and had been notified before receiving the "we're cutting you off at 5:00" final notice stuck to their door.

• Love 4

Yes!  He said he wanted her to be his guardian.  It's not an instantaneous process.

I think as far as the Marines are concerned, having his aunt and uncle sign the permission slip would be sufficient assuming both parents are dead. There's really no one else that's closer. I don't think the military is going to scrutinize the legal standing of the guardians in question, so long as they've got a signature. They just want the recruit. I'm pretty sure the recruiters get a commission for everyone they sign up.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think as far as the Marines are concerned, having his aunt and uncle sign the permission slip would be sufficient assuming both parents are dead. There's really no one else that's closer. I don't think the military is going to scrutinize the legal standing of the guardians in question, so long as they've got a signature. They just want the recruit. I'm pretty sure the recruiters get a commission for everyone they sign up.

Sure, but they only know that he is saying his parents are both dead. There should be some level of proof required. But this is a sitcom.

• Love 2

In the early seasons of Roseanne, they did a great job of making everyone seem like a person you would know in real life, particularly if you came from the working class.

As soon as the nephew walked in he spoke like a "TV kid". His assessment of everyone from ancient dude, blondie, the guy in flannel (Darlene), and backwoods Jessica Rabbit was just a little too precious.

I think he also said hot older woman.  Even though Louise is smoking hot...who the Hell talks about their aunt like that?

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

In the early seasons of Roseanne, they did a great job of making everyone seem like a person you would know in real life, particularly if you came from the working class.

As soon as the nephew walked in he spoke like a "TV kid". His assessment of everyone from ancient dude, blondie, the guy in flannel (Darlene), and backwoods Jessica Rabbit was just a little too precious.

I think he also said hot older woman.  Even though Louise is smoking hot...who the Hell talks about their aunt like that?

I think he didn't know she was his aunt at that point. Didn't Neville then proceed to introduce him to everyone?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Overall I thought this was one of the better shows.  Darlene wasn’t the center of it and Jackie wasn’t insane.  I think it works better when you see the family working together at least somewhat. If they could limit Darlene’s role it really help.  I though the scene with her and Becky interrogating Mary’s boyfriend was pretty good and Jackie relating to being the child of an alcoholic was well done.  I even though Harris was watchable and had a good scene with the new guy. 

So did I. I think theh finally found their groove.

• Love 3

Sure, but they only know that he is saying his parents are both dead. There should be some level of proof required. But this is a sitcom.

The point is that nobody is going to contest his status. Nobody is going to come forward and say he shouldn't have been allowed in the Marines for any reason. If he really had parents, that might be a problem. Or if he actually had foster parents who didn't want him to join that would become an issue. As it is, there's nobody to stand in his way. The Marines are only going to care if somebody makes trouble and nobody will.

I don’t know how I missed the backstory on Caleb. Can someone explain how his aunt and uncle let him go into the foster system after their sibling died? 

They didn't; they decided to take him in themselves, but apparently they were willing to let him go into foster care if he chose to do so. He initially didn't want anything to do with Neville or Louise because they both ignored his father when he went to jail and left Caleb to his own devices. I'm not sure if he eventually softened towards Jackie or if he just found it more expedient to choose her as a guardian so she could sign the paper. Going into foster care would be a risk - his foster parents might not consent.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4

Putting aside all the plot holes about Caleb joining the Marines this episode made Neville and Louise look like raging assholes. Caleb said that authorities called them both to come and pick him up. And all that Louise said was that she thought her brother was lying about bail money again. Doesn't add up. Also if you know your alcoholic brother has a kid (with no mother around) how about you make it a point to at least occasionally check in on said kid? And then when  finally asked to care a bit (for a year) they both behaved as if they were asked to take in a rabid racoon.

The episode had some great and funny lines but that does not really make up for the fact that Neville and Louise just made the Conners look like the Brady Bunch.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Putting aside all the plot holes about Caleb joining the Marines this episode made Neville and Louise look like raging assholes. Caleb said that authorities called them both to come and pick him up. And all that Louise said was that she thought her brother was lying about bail money again. Doesn't add up. Although if you know your alcoholic brother has a kid (with no mother around) how about you make it a point to at least occasionally check up on said kid? And then when  finally asked to care a bit (for a year) they both behaved as if they were asked to take in a rabid racoon.

The episode had some great and funny lines but that does not really make up for the fact that Neville and Louise just made the Conners look like the Brady Bunch.

I agree that Caleb's backstory made Louise and Neville look like raging assholes.  Too bad, because I like Louise and Katey appearing occasionally is the only saving grace, plus Laurie Metcalf.

This show introduces new characters all the time and then they're gone after one or two eps.  At least the show still acknowledges the chickens in the chicken coop out back in the yard!

• Love 6
On 10/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, Snow Apple said:

hy are they still struggling to pay bills? Darlene has a good job and the others have the hardware store and diner. Darlene's salary alone should be able to pay the monthly bills. Unless she's sinking it all into a money pit of the new house.

Because the spent  lltheir money on ''MAGIC BEANS"' that will grow money,

Jackie sucks.  I saw her as Sheldon's mother on the BIig Bang and thought she did a great job,, but this show is doing no favors.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Putting aside all the plot holes about Caleb joining the Marines this episode made Neville and Louise look like raging assholes. Caleb said that authorities called them both to come and pick him up. And all that Louise said was that she thought her brother was lying about bail money again. Doesn't add up. Also if you know your alcoholic brother has a kid (with no mother around) how about you make it a point to at least occasionally check in on said kid? And then when  finally asked to care a bit (for a year) they both behaved as if they were asked to take in a rabid racoon.

But the thing is Louise mentioned she wasn’t really close with the other brother at all and so I can’t really blame her for reacting the way she did, but I’ll admit I wondered why she was acting like that once she heard the news of his death, but once I heard her mention not being close with her brother because of his issues then I understood. 🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by ESS
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

It really doesn't matter if she was close to her brother or not - he was an alcoholic with a kid (it was implied that they knew Caleb existed). She and Neville could at least have made an effort to keep an eye on Caleb and let him know there are folks around who care. They didn't and let a nine year old fend for himself. And when finally confronted with him they continued to act like jerks. As far as character assassinations go that was pretty efficient. I wonder why the writers even went down that route since Caleb isn't sticking around.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

It really doesn't matter if she was close to her brother or not - he was an alcoholic with a kid (it was implied that they knew Caleb existed). She and Neville could at least have made an effort to keep an eye on Caleb and let him know there are folks around who care. They didn't and let a nine year old fend for himself. And when finally confronted with him they continued to act like jerks. As far as character assassinations go that was pretty efficient. I wonder why the writers even went down that route since Caleb isn't sticking around.

Well now that you put it that way I can see your point and I agree I don’t know why they went there either because the kid is gone now, I admit that is weird. Maybe we’ll see Caleb later on it’s possible there has to be a reason they did this storyline. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There are rules about such things in the military.  With regard to the Marines, the signature of a legally appointed guardian if both parents are deceased is required.  

Here are the rules pertaining to who can sign for parental consent:

1. Both parents, if living and not legally separated or divorced, or
2. The surviving parent if one parent is deceased, or
3. The custodial parent if parents are legally separated or divorced, (separation/divorce papers are required) even if both parents sign, in order to establish custody, or
4. The custodial parent if one parent abandoned the family or is missing, or
5. The legally appointed guardian if both parents are deceased or
if parents were legally separated and the custody of the applicant was awarded to a person other than one of the parents.

This is straight out of this website:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-99818.html

It's from 2010 but I doubt that particular requirement has changed.

The only reason I looked it up is because I was sure that something like this would be the case.  Both my parents were in the military and it is known for doing everything "by the book".

Of course, my husband at this point would be shouting at me that it's "just a sitcom", but since this discussion came up here I figured that pointing this out was relevant.  And I think many of us are already on overload with all the liberties with reality this show has been taking lately.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Neville to Louise: "Our brother Aaaron died."

I understand this expository dialogue was for the benefit of the audience, who has no idea who Aaron is, but there had to be another way to get this across without Nelville having to clarify to his sister that Aaron was their brother.

It reminds me of an early episode in which Jackie told Becky "I know things have been difficult for you since your husband passed away." 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

Does Katey Segal have a stipulation that characters on every show she goes on have to call her hot? I really don't think a 17 year old boy is going to say that. Also, shes his biological aunt, so double no.

Also, as other posters have noted, Louise is "Lansford Hot," it's not like we're talking Salma Hayek or Halle Berry here. Katey Sagal is attractive for someone of her years (I'm an old-timer too and can get away with saying that) , but no way does a high-school kid consider her "hot," aunt or not.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I agree that Caleb's backstory made Louise and Neville look like raging assholes.  Too bad, because I like Louise and Katey appearing occasionally is the only saving grace, plus Laurie Metcalf.

This show introduces new characters all the time and then they're gone after one or two eps.  At least the show still acknowledges the chickens in the chicken coop out back in the yard!

The weird thing is that I swear that last season had a storyline where Neville took care of a nephew who became a romantic interest for Mark.

Neville seems too soft hearted to abandon his nephew like that.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The weird thing is that I swear that last season had a storyline where Neville took care of a nephew who became a romantic interest for Mark.

Wasn't that an old girlfriend's kid? Anyway it sounds like he didn't like or downright hated his brother, so I can see why he might not care about his nephew so much.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

Wasn't that an old girlfriend's kid?

Yes, and he was very good with him, so it surprised me he was so callous about Caleb.  Not a good look for him or Louise, but in his case it was additionally inconsistent with something specific we've seen of him. 

I mean, it is a big deal to take a teenager into your home.  Neither Neville nor Louise have kids, and all of a sudden they're presented with either letting their nephew take his chances in the foster care system or assuming legal guardianship of someone they don't know who just happens to be biologically related to them.  So I'm not diminishing what they were suddenly faced with.  But they didn't have to be such assholes about it.

6 hours ago, ThatsDarling said:

Neville to Louise: "Our brother Aaaron died."

I understand this expository dialogue was for the benefit of the audience, who has no idea who Aaron is, but there had to be another way to get this across without Nelville having to clarify to his sister that Aaron was their brother.

It reminds me of an early episode in which Jackie told Becky "I know things have been difficult for you since your husband passed away."

I thought the same thing -- remembering that awkward line about Mark.  It was also completely unnecessary, because there was follow up dialogue about how no one knew they had a brother.  It would have made a lot more sense to sacrifice a precious two seconds to writing it normally:

Neville: Aaron died.
Someone else: Who's Aaron?
Louise: Our brother.

and then the scene goes on as it did.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

Wasn't that an old girlfriend's kid? Anyway it sounds like he didn't like or downright hated his brother, so I can see why he might not care about his nephew so much.

Maybe but some people who outright hate their relatives, because of that spend extra time worrying about said relative's kids, who did not choose to be born and stuck with the shitty person. (I know multiple people who have eventually had to take in kids because of a relative being too drugged-out to continue parenting)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I can see Louise having an excuse to not take custody of a nine-year-old if she was touring in a band at that time in her life.  They should have written a line for her explaining that so she wouldn't come off as completely uninterested in her nephew's welfare.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I can see Louise having an excuse to not take custody of a nine-year-old if she was touring in a band at that time in her life.  They should have written a line for her explaining that so she wouldn't come off as completely uninterested in her nephew's welfare.

Now that would have a good line to add in for Louise not care about her nephew or when he was a kid rather I never thought about that until now, but it makes sense especially for her and I like that idea they should have put that explanation in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3
On 10/12/2022 at 10:44 PM, ams1001 said:

Because apparently having to pick and choose which bill to pay this month is funny?

I thought it was just a matter of picking which bill(s) each contributor is going to pay. It's not a great way to share household expenses. But this is the Conners so it's an improvement from pretending that no one can pay anything. 

15 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Also, as other posters have noted, Louise is "Lansford Hot," it's not like we're talking Salma Hayek or Halle Berry here. Katey Sagal is attractive for someone of her years (I'm an old-timer too and can get away with saying that) , but no way does a high-school kid consider her "hot," aunt or not.

I also think he meant someone who carries themselves a certain way. Some people are "hot" because of how they dress and style their hair. I like to think he wasn't attracted to his aunt, who I'm not even sure he knew was his aunt at that moment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, qtpye said:

22 hours ago, Wizardpatch said:

Wasn't that an old girlfriend's kid?

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, and he was very good with him, so it surprised me he was so callous about Caleb.  Not a good look for him or Louise, but in his case it was additionally inconsistent with something specific we've seen of him. 

Quoting myself:

On 10/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I felt said for Caleb that his uncle, who recently formed a close relationship to a troubled teen boy who wasn't related to him (Mark's brief boyfriend) and who still had a mother could not find it in himself to graciously offer a home to his nephew who had no parent at all, for at least a year.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, Yeah No said:

There are rules about such things in the military.  With regard to the Marines, the signature of a legally appointed guardian if both parents are deceased is required.  

Here are the rules pertaining to who can sign for parental consent:

This is straight out of this website:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-99818.html

It's from 2010 but I doubt that particular requirement has changed.

The only reason I looked it up is because I was sure that something like this would be the case.  Both my parents were in the military and it is known for doing everything "by the book".

Of course, my husband at this point would be shouting at me that it's "just a sitcom", but since this discussion came up here I figured that pointing this out was relevant.  And I think many of us are already on overload with all the liberties with reality this show has been taking lately.

Yes, if Caleb were wounded or killed and did have parents or an actual legal guardian, they could sue the government for improperly enrolling a minor.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

If this kid is going to join the military and will become a family member never to be spoken of/heard from again (ahem Jerry and Andy, etc), what was the point of this episode?

The kid obviously knew Neville and Louise existed because he is still pissed that neither one of them (more so Louise it seems) came and got him when he was nine years old so it seemed weird that he didn't know/recognize them.  Where is the mom?

Am I the only one who thinks it's creepy that a 17 year boy was calling a 60+ year old woman hot and tried hitting on his cousin more than once.  I understand he doesn't really know any of them as "family", but I would still be bothered by someone talking like that who I just met.  I also thought it was really awkward how Darlene and Becky spoke to Mary's boyfriend.  

Thinking of Mary...was it explained why she was staying behind and didn't go with DJ?  I think this episode was the most we've seen of her since the show started .  Back in the Roseanne days, the kids had episodes centered around them.  I wish this show would feature more storylines concerning Mary and Mark besides the constant "Mark will do anything to find a way to get into college because his family has no money to send him." Every week it's basically the same formula:  Darlene being miserable and complaining about how much her life sucks, Jackie being "wacky", Becky dealing with dating or drinking or both, Dan explaining why Louise isn't around...again, Mark talking about college, and everyone complaining how they are so broke.  Can't the writers think of anything different?  

Edited by juliet73
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's creepy that a 17 year boy was calling a 60+ year old woman hot and tried hitting on his cousin more than once.  I understand he doesn't really know any of them as "family", but I would still be bothered by someone talking like that who I just met. 

It would have been creepy if genuine, but I took it as him lashing out.  He's pretty rightly angry with the world at this point, and in full defensive mode.

18 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Thinking of Mary...was it explained why she was staying behind and didn't go with DJ?

At this point he's just visiting Geena, and if this takes place in the same time it aired, it's the school year, so Mary wouldn't be able to go.

• Love 3