Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Almost an instaget FJ for me tonight.  I didn't have it immediately, but I had it within about ten seconds.

I only got three TS -- fish sticks, Battery, and tract.  Which made me think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the huge tracts of land...

• Like 3

Would spelling Isabelle Allende as Isabelle Aiendae have been acceptable? 
I pronounced it correctly in my head. 

I yelled EXCISE repeatedly at Ray during his DD, but, as we know, time and space travel do not work for Jeopardy! 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6

I have been loving these nail biters. I will miss Ray but am beyond thrilled to see more of Ken on my TV.

I will add that I bought two bowls od corn chowder from my hospital cafetiera today so I was surprised that it's considered "Kid Cuisine". Was I the only one waiting on a Mac and Cheese clue in that category?

• Like 7

Yikes; after my strong game last night, I didn't run a damn thing in the first round.  I missed two in art, and got all but one in the rest.

In DJ, I was utterly terrible in the France category, only getting one (Maginot), but other than that I did well; I ran U.S. of A. and pop music, got all but one each in science and letter, and missed two in 21. 

FJ was an instaget, as I knew that fact about her.

The corn chowder TS, with a picture and Ken's response to Ray's answer letting the other two know it was some specific type of chowder, was an odd moment.  I was a little surprised no one guessed Tacoma, given how the cities are tied together in the airport name (Sea-Tac).

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

I have been loving these nail biters. I will miss Ray but am beyond thrilled to see more of Ken on my TV.

I will add that I bought two bowls od corn chowder from my hospital cafetiera today so I was surprised that it's considered "Kid Cuisine". Was I the only one waiting on a Mac and Cheese clue in that category?

I never thought of corn chowder as "Kid Cuisine" either. Tomato soup and grilled cheese, maybe. I always associate corn chowder with The Devil Wears Prada, where Andy orders it for lunch on her first day at Vogue and gets snark for eating something so fattening.

Yes, I too was surprised that there was no Mac and Cheese clue, and add Chicken Nuggets. I knew the Fish Sticks DD, along with DAR, Tacoma, Battery, and tract.

I figured out FJ although it took awhile. I did not realize Isabel Allende has lived in the US for years, and wondered why the category wasn't titled "International Authors."

• Like 3

I didn't eat any of the things in the kid cuisine category as a child (I came close with PB&J, but I ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches instead).  I pre-called fish sticks, though.  And I've been hungry for clam chowder ever since the corn chowder clue.

• Like 3

My mom used to make Chicken Corn Chowder using that Lipton's dry mix - the recipe was on the envelope. But when she made that Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup, she called it "Godfrey Soup" because they were a huge advertiser of The Arthur Godfrey Show.

For FJ, I pre-guessed Isaac Asimov.  But once the clue was revealed, I guessed Allende.

I once saw a greeting card that had a picture of the box of Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks. The caption was "Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks..."  Inside the card read, "Does Yours?"  I still laugh like a loon over that.

• LOL 6

No FJ for me, but I did get Battery, tract, excise and corn chowder.

I’ve never had corn chowder, either, but I’m aware of its existence. It does seem odd that neither Lloyd nor Claire, having been alerted that it’s a form of chowder and seen that it’s full of corn, could come up with that. Maybe they were thrown off by the labeling of it as a kid’s dish, which it is not.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Driad said:

I still don't see why they don't offer a tall chair (with a footrest) for contestants who prefer to sit.  I don't know whether Ray would, but some people would.

During my audition for the show (back in the days when they got a big group of people into a single room for in-person auditions), there was an older gentleman there who had difficulty standing for long periods.  The contestant coordinators said that they would be able to provide him with an appropriate accommodation if he appeared on the show.  I don't know if he was ever selected to be a contestant or not.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 1/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, possibilities said:

I tried to look up when Mayim is supposed to come back, but I didn't find a firm date. I thought it was going to be today, but obviously it wasn't.

I thought so too, so it was a very pleasant surprise. I was unpleasantly surprised, however, that there didn't seem to be a definite start date for Ken's final show. Seems pretty sloppy, as things have been for a long while. It's not a good look.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I yelled EXCISE repeatedly at Ray during his DD, but, as we know, time and space travel do not work for Jeopardy!

We yelled too.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't eat any of the things in the kid cuisine category as a child (I came close with PB&J, but I ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches instead).  I pre-called fish sticks, though.  And I've been hungry for clam chowder ever since the corn chowder clue.

I love a PB&J. We never had honey in the house when I was a kid, but as an adult I discovered that honey and peanut butter is a perfect combination!

7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

No FJ for me, but I did get Battery, tract, excise and corn chowder.

I’ve never had corn chowder, either, but I’m aware of its existence. It does seem odd that neither Lloyd nor Claire, having been alerted that it’s a form of chowder and seen that it’s full of corn, could come up with that. Maybe they were thrown off by the labeling of it as a kid’s dish, which it is not.

I  remember having a dehydrated corn chowder (Cup of Soup??) a long time ago and liking it. Though it could have been canned. I never ate fresh, which sounds pretty tasty.

I had a good couple of games and ran a few categories. I forget them and am too lazy to look at J!. I got Mona Lisa, but not Allende. So a fairly good start to the week.

I rejected Lloyd at the intro because I have a knee jerk reaction to winkers. But he won me back with his $5 bid.

Sorry to see Ray go, but we'll see him again some time.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5

I was also shouting excise to Ray.  If he had only heard us he might still be champion. I also got tract and corn chowder.

I am sorry Ray lost; I could have happily watched him for at least a few more days. But it was his bad habit of guessing when he shouldn't that did bring him down.

Not an instaget FJ for me but I did get Allende in time.  Did not get Mona Lisa on Monday but smacked my head when the answer was revealed.  My joke answer was The Maltese Falcon and I didn't really bother looking for the correct answer.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Re: the chowder...my husband said "potato chowder". Not sure if that's a thing,  but the potatoes were pretty prominent

I had the vague idea that potatoes are (one of?) the ingredients that make something a chowder, then the clams or whatever make it a specific kind of chowder...?  But add me to the crowd who would not have thought of chowder of any type as a kids' food.  Taquitos either.  I know a lot of kids like tacos but I didn't realize they had their own kids' version.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I rejected Lloyd at the intro because I have a knee jerk reaction to winkers. But he won me back with his $5 bid.

Funny, because that’s where he lost me (temporarily, at least). I shouted at him, “you’re not gonna beat Ray with wimpy bets like that!”

Guess he showed me.

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

January 4:

77% / 47% / 62%

Did well in J! except for On Your State's Left (only got 2); ran Write Foot and missed one in everything else.

Did…not well in DJ. Got four in Nuclear Physics, three in Gods, one in National Past Time, and two in everything else (and those were only in the top two rows).

Didn't know FJ, got zero DDs and my only TS was Baal.    

• Like 2

I got FJ at the last second.

I got the missed clues of Schmidt and Baal.

I got the entire categories of state left, surname, and gods right and the entire category of actors wrong.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Just started watching tonight's episode and they introduce the champ as a 2 day winner?

I missed the intros but just pulled it up on youtube; he said 1 day.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Just started watching tonight's episode and they introduce the champ as a 2 day winner

Unless the first category on the board is "On your state's left", you might be watching tomorrow's episode (Wed is Lloyd's second day, but he only one once (on Tues)).

7 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Unless the first category on the board is "On your state's left", you might be watching tomorrow's episode (Wed is Lloyd's second day, but he only one once (on Tues)).

The network messed up then. They introduced him as a 2 day winner with $50k and some winnings. For whatever reason, they aired tomorrows epi.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Mind Blown 5

I was watching in the living room instead of my office, so I didn't keep track of how I did, but I know I only missed a handful of clues in the first round.  I didn't blow anything (even the gods category) in DJ, although I came close in TV theme songs, only knowing Friends.  But I think I only ran one or two.

FJ wasn't an instaget by any means, but it came to me in plenty of time.  So, overall, a good game.

I have never heard offal called "variety meats".  Google confirms that's indeed a term, so I'm not disputing the clue, just saying I'd never heard it until tonight.

• Applause 1

After the interview segment, I was rooting hard for Francis. He sounds like fun. I’m also not crazy about Lloyd, so far. He seems a little smug. And he needs to stop with the Cher-like hair flipping. Maybe bring a scrunchie tomorrow?

I was happy to see a mention of “In Bruges”. I love that movie so much.

Not a great game for me. And no FJ, of course. I didn’t even know where to begin.

• Like 6

Still not fond of Lloyd.  Not sure why.  Could still be post-Ray letdown.

I got FJ after thinking about it a little.  Knew both Turkey and Russia still spread out over two continents so I moved to our hemisphere and Colombia come to mind.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Lloyd knew the Community theme song.  That made me happy!

It was the only theme song I got - which was frustrating. I almost had the Muppets. To be fair those are the only two shows I've watched. But still...

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I got FJ after thinking about it a little.  Knew both Turkey and Russia still spread out over two continents so I moved to our hemisphere and Colombia come to mind.

I groaned at the category, and groaned that the question because I knew Turkey was still spread across two continents (forgot about Russia) and that left South America. Which I am terrible at. I even memorized all the countries one time, but they didn't stick in my head. Anyway, didn't get FJ.

Did pretty well over all, ran a couple of categories. Knew I wasn't going to get anything in Nuclear Physics, so I was happy enough to get one.

I was thrilled that "Quisling" is finally etched in my brain in the correct context.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I was happy to see a mention of “In Bruges”. I love that movie so much.

I saw that on a flight to London, and a couple of weeks later I was in Brussels, and decided to take a day trip to Bruges because of the film.  It was a great call!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Saw this and thought I'd share. Makes me like Lloyd (or at least his family) even more.

image.png.0654c7169c1bf9014ea3ecf2a6a50a3e.png

I love this! Nothing like family support when one is out in LA, standing up while answering all kinds of arcane clues on camera, needing to be as fast as all get out mentally while manipulating a clicker. Go Lloyd...win some more games for your sweet grandma 🤗.

• Like 5

I was having a pretty good FJ streak, but it ended tonight. Felt like a bonehead when they revealed the answer.

I got the missed clues of ferret, Rubicon, and Linda Evans (boy did I feel old when nobody got that).

I got the entire category of Bring it right.

Had a good first round, so-so DJ and flubbed FJ.

• Like 1

January 5:
77% / 60% / 69%

J!: Started out pretty well...Ran Bring It! and Not Chicken Feed, missed one in Nationality Rhymes and Fighters (did surprisingly well in that category, but I've never heard of Mike Tyson Mysteries), two in So That Happened, and three Colleges.

DJ: And it was downhill from there. Missed one Doomsday Book, three Rivers, and two in everything else.

FJ: I got it! I had no clue and threw out The Godfather because the name Sergio Leone sent my mind in an Italian direction and I figured the movie was from somewhere around that time period.

My TSes were black-footed ferret, Joe Frasier, Rubicon (DD), and Bird Box.

(Kiefer) Sutherland should have gotten a BMS. I still liked Lloyd but I was rooting for Patrick so yay.

• Like 8

I can't believe I missed FJ tonight!  In my defense, I've never actually seen that movie.  I mostly know about it, but couldn't tell you when it came out.

And the only TS I got were ferrets and Linda Evans.

Congrats to Patrick!

• Like 1

Good game tonight (except for Lois ☹️). Gee, FJ was easy as 1972 + movie almost always means The Godfather (still can't believe I went to see that movie with my parents 😳...soooo uncomfortable!) Well, Patrick was on fire in his first game. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow. Lloyd must've been getting nervous as he was swaying toward the end of DJ.

• Like 2