Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Trey said:

I had never heard of it but it sounded interesting so I looked it up on Amazon. $18/Cdn for a dvd of it.  Is it worth that much?

I liked it and I wouldn't pay that much for it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ABay said:
18 hours ago, Trey said:

I had never heard of it but it sounded interesting so I looked it up on Amazon. $18/Cdn for a dvd of it.  Is it worth that much?

I liked it and I wouldn't pay that much for it.

I know this is straying into Small Talk territory so this is my last post about it here. I don't know if you get TCM where you are but they played it fairly recently and should still have it available to view if your TV has that capability. I click on the TCM icon at the beginning of the row on the channel guide and get options including Movies, search there for it to see if it can be played now.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, HissyFit said:

"The road was a ribbon of moonlight across the purple moor ...."  I loved it, too, also as a young teen. 

As a fairly morbid young teen, this is the line I quote most. 🤣

When they shot him down on the highway,

Down like a dog on the highway,

And he lay in his blood on the highway, with a bunch of lace at his throat

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2022 at 10:50 PM, HissyFit said:

"The road was a ribbon of moonlight across the purple moor ...."  I loved it, too, also as a young teen. 

On 12/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Clanstarling said:

When they shot him down on the highway,

Down like a dog on the highway,

And he lay in his blood on the highway, with a bunch of lace at his throat

I have never read this poem, but I am going to. That is just… beautiful! (No, I’m not psychotic.)

• Like 4

December 26:

57% / 73% / 65%

J!: Ugh. I blame Christmas (which was quiet, just six of us plus two neighbors of my uncle's who came over during dessert, and I wasn't even drinking and I even went to bed at 10:30, but whatevs). Missed one in Word Puzzles and Apps & Websites, two in Vacation Isles, and three in everything else.

DJ: A bit better... Ran Elemental Hit Parade, missed one in Stage Musicals by Song Lyrics and Sounds Like a University (probably should have figured out the 12th letter before focusing on the cereal grain, but I did it the other way around and ran out of time; my mind went to wheat first, which made me think Wheaton, which is a college, not a university, and the ending doesn't work, so then I started counting letters but it was too late), and two in everything else.

Had no clue for FJ; never saw the show.

TSes were telegram, Nature Valley, and Tropic of Cancer.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've heard of it but I couldn't have told you who was in it, let alone a Dolly Parton connection.

I got as far as Jane Fonda. Also heard of the show but not in a way that it would spring to mind, I knew Fonda was in a show but couldn't get to it in time.

• Like 2

During the lengthy commercial break between the reveal of the FJ category of TV FINALES and the reveal of the clue, I thought of Mash, Lost, and then obsessed over "that one with the snow globe" to no avail. Fortunately FJ was not St. Elsewhere, which I've never watched.

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m kicking myself because I watched Grace and Frankie, yet was so stuck on 40 years that I blew FJ. 

Getting "stuck on 40 years" is the kind of thinking that often stops me from getting the FJs I should know, but this time I focused on Dolly Parton.
I started telling myself I couldn't get it, but then muted the Think Music and got it!
That's okay, right? 

For all of you upthread who have never seen Grace and Frankie:
I put off watching it until about the 3rd season, and then binged it so I could watch season 4 with Mom in her assisted living facility (Mom loved Grace and Frankie).
It was good. 
It's on Netflix.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I knew Grace and Frankie because I watched it. But I also loved 9 to 5 when it came out way back when, and there has been a lot of talk about Dolly, Lily, and Jane having a reunion over the years. I think this one was a gift to those of us who miss the ones about Male Authors and other categories like that.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I absolutely love Grace and Frankie and 9 to 5 (I can recite along with the entire film verbatim), so this was probably the most insta of instagets in my FJ history and definitely the one that most tickled me.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

DJ: A bit better... Ran Elemental Hit Parade, missed one in Stage Musicals by Song Lyrics and Sounds Like a University (probably should have figured out the 12th letter before focusing on the cereal grain, but I did it the other way around and ran out of time; my mind went to wheat first, which made me think Wheaton, which is a college, not a university, and the ending doesn't work, so then I started counting letters but it was too late), and two in everything else.

My mother said Corn and I said Ell, so we were ok with that, but for Tulane we focused on the part about different directions and could not make the leap from two-way. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, opus said:

Got FJ after a brief hesitation of “Is it ‘Grace and Frankie’ or is it ‘Frankie and Grace’?”

My Mom used to be in an AARP "band" of oldsters with kazoos. Mom played the only real instrument - a portable keyboard. Her big solo was "Frankie and Johnny" so I always think of the show as "Frankie and Grace" but then remember that it's opposite from Mom's big deal, "Grace and Frankie."

I know M is the 13th letter - it's the last letter in the first half of the alphabet. And since my name begins with L, I know it's the 12th.  If I hadn't been <small voice> in the bathroom </small voice> I would have gotten it. I left the room during the woman's daily double wager and got back for all the commercials before FJ.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Instaget FJ, and I wasn’t a G&F watcher, although I was aware of it.  Focusing on Dolly Parton TV/movies projects from the 80’s led me straight to Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Burt Reynolds) and 9 to 5 (Jane Fonda). I rejected the first because Burt Reynolds is dead, but knew Jane Fonda’s show had just ended, so that had to be it. Poor Lily Tomlin was an afterthought.

I led Husband to it the same way. He was stumped, so I asked him “what was Dolly Parton in 40 years ago, and who else was in it?” Five seconds of thought and he was there, too.

Nice way to start the week! I fully expect the rest of the week to be nothing but Geography and Opera categories.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Focusing on Dolly Parton TV/movies projects from the 80’s led me straight to Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

I recite along verbatim with that one just as with 9 to 5.  I may have a problem, but, really can one actually love Dolly Parton too much, especially '80s Dolly?  (Okay, yeah, that I can also recite/sing along with the godsawful Rhinestone in its entirety does indicate some sort of disorder.)

• LOL 6
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I recite along verbatim with that one just as with 9 to 5.  I may have a problem, but, really can one actually love Dolly Parton too much, especially '80s Dolly?  

“20 fans were turning, they were turning, 20 fans were turning in every room…” “I love to dance a little sidestep, now they see me, now they don’t…”

I love that movie so much. And yes, ‘80s Dolly is the absolute best.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Focusing on Dolly Parton TV/movies projects from the 80’s led me straight to Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (Burt Reynolds) and 9 to 5 (Jane Fonda).

I was thinking about music, and got stuck on "Islands in the Stream."  But I knew it couldn't be Kenny Rogers, because A., he didn't have a TV show, and B., he's dead.  Who else did Dolly work with in the 80s?  Oh, too late, time's up.

• Like 4
On 12/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, dgpolo said:

I know this is straying into Small Talk territory so this is my last post about it here. I don't know if you get TCM where you are but they played it fairly recently and should still have it available to view if your TV has that capability. I click on the TCM icon at the beginning of the row on the channel guide and get options including Movies, search there for it to see if it can be played now.

Yes, I do get TCM so I'll watch for it.

• Like 1

I couldn't watch live last night, so I made a point to not open this thread until I had a chance to watch my recording.  I was browsing on some other shows, though, and someone posted about FJ on the Grace and Frankie forum :(  Pretty sure I would have come up with it anyway, so I'm giving myself credit for this one!

• Like 1

I watched the first 2 seasons of Grace & Frankie but did not make the Dolly Parton connection.

I decided I needed to read Evangeline since it has come up more than once on J!  Found a PDF online.  It’s 50 pages of non rhyming poetry.  *gulp*. I did not read it.

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, opus said:

Got FJ after a brief hesitation of “Is it ‘Grace and Frankie’ or is it ‘Frankie and Grace’?”

That was my problem for the first two seasons, I got it straight by the third season.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My Mom used to be in an AARP "band" of oldsters with kazoos. Mom played the only real instrument - a portable keyboard. Her big solo was "Frankie and Johnny" so I always think of the show as "Frankie and Grace" but then remember that it's opposite from Mom's big deal, "Grace and Frankie."

Exactly the reason (the song, not your Mom) why I couldn't keep the name straight for awhile.

Miserable game (I blame Christmas cheer - chocolate, not booze). But FJ was an instaget because I watched the show, and 9 to 5 was one of the first movies I saw after becoming a post-college office worker. My friend and I laughed so hard throughout - especially at the copier scene. I don't know if it aged well, but it could serve as a historical (comical) look at woman's issues back then.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

ut FJ was an instaget because I watched the show, and 9 to 5 was one of the first movies I saw after becoming a post-college office worker. My friend and I laughed so hard throughout - especially at the copier scene. I don't know if it aged well, but it could serve as a historical (comical) look at woman's issues back then.

Check out movies that feature office work in the 60's & 70's, when female staffers brought coffee on a tray into meetings (of usually men only). I loved 9 to 5, and hope the three of them will make a sequel of sorts. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Check out movies that feature office work in the 60's & 70's, when female staffers brought coffee on a tray into meetings (of usually men only). I loved 9 to 5, and hope the three of them will make a sequel of sorts. 

I lived that office life in the 70's. I refused to make coffee (unless I was the one who emptied the pot), type up random men's documents or take them to the copier room. I am amazed I got away with it. But even though I was tiny and young, no one pushed back too hard (my boss, once, but I was clear that it wasn't in my job description and he never bothered me again).

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I couldn't watch live last night, so I made a point to not open this thread until I had a chance to watch my recording.  I was browsing on some other shows, though, and someone posted about FJ on the Grace and Frankie forum :( 

That was me.  It was nearly midnight on the west coast by the time I did, but sorry.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't know if it aged well, but it could serve as a historical (comical) look at woman's issues back then.

Sadly, their list of demands consists of things women are still fighting for in the workplace; mostly no longer to get in the first place (other than equal pay <sigh>), but to have adequate access to, yes. 

And who doesn't still have the occasional elaborate fantasy about ways to off her "sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot" of a boss?  When Jane Fonda and her producing partner interviewed administrative assistants as research for the film, they were absolutely floored by the detailed, violent fantasies most of the women harbored.  That's how the fantasy sequences came to be - and part of why the film had changed to being developed as a comedy rather than a documentary or realistic drama as originally conceived - and the scenarios they wrote for the film were tame by comparison.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That was me.  It was nearly midnight on the west coast by the time I did, but sorry.

Don't think the time matters, I think it's a site rule that you never spoil a show in another show's thread. I've had that problem with people spoiling a show I watch but am avoiding for reason, in another shows forum.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Don't think the time matters, I think it's a site rule that you never spoil a show in another show's thread.

The rule is just no "A-bomb" spoilers in another thread.  I didn't think this would qualify, but, no bother, I'll go put spoiler tags on it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Hugs 1
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The rule is just no "A-bomb" spoilers in another thread.  I didn't think this would qualify, but, no bother, I'll go put spoiler tags on it.

Well, if FJ isn't considered an "A-bomb" spoiler for Jeopardy! I don't know what is.  Especially considering that 1), people posting here often mention that they didn't see some episodes live and are just catching up, and 2), there's a very active thread here with a competition among posters for getting FJ correct.

But on the other hand, any posters here (J! forum) who are also reading the F&G G&F forum would probably have gotten the correct response anyway.  But thanks for adding the spoiler tag.

Edited by SoMuchTV
F&G is not the same as G&F. Maybe disproving my point that I would have had the correct response!
  • Like 2

December 27:    

63% / 53% / 59%

Terrible game tonight. Ran nothing in J!, missed one in Fiction and Rhyming Responses (the first one they picked; I think I was expecting them to be rhyming phrases, not just two rhyming words), two in Espionage, Historical Figures on Film, and Economy of Movement, and three in World of Beers (not a beer drinker). In DJ I ran Science and missed one in Synonyms, two in "T" Time, three Flyover Countries, and four in Album Covers (thank you, hometown hero Bruce, for getting me one) and Civil War. Didn't even get any TSes. FJ was beyond an instaget. I answered before Ken was halfway through reading it.    

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

MaCAHbee?  I always thought it was MACK-a-bee.  Or is the beer pronounced differently than the Jewish heroes?

Jew weighing in here: I don't know about the beer, but the Chanukah heroes are definitely MACK-a-bee, at least according to everyone I've ever met, in or out of synagogues, Sunday Schools, and garden variety holiday celebrations.

I am crazy about the tie Ken was wearing today. I always love to see it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Jew weighing in here: I don't know about the beer, but the Chanukah heroes are definitely MACK-a-bee, at least according to everyone I've ever met, in or out of synagogues, Sunday Schools, and garden variety holiday celebrations.

I learned how to pronounce it from the Holiday Armadillo.

image.png.345695b060aef78529b5c80c070bc856.png

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4

I understood what they were going for in the clue, but never having read the Velveteen Rabbit, I was unable to pinpoint that as the stuffed animal brought to life.

It’s a shame, because everyone knows I like rabbits, and they know I like cheese.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2

FJ was an instaget for me, too -- I had it by the time I got to "real" in the clue.  I did finish reading the clue to check myself, though!  

Good game, though -- not too many TS.  The only one I got was vortex.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It’s a shame, because everyone knows I like rabbits, and they know I like cheese.

By coincidence I happened to see that episode of Friends last night.

Instaget FJ although I've never read the book.  We didn't have children's books in my house when I was little.  I bought it for my 2 yr. old grandson last Christmas and meant to read it before I wrapped it but ended up not.

Still enjoying Ray's run.  Not looking forward to Mayim taking over.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, opus said:

As Ken starts to read “Its title character is told “By the time you are real,….” I think to myself “Easy”, and proudly answer “Pinocchio!”

Funny, but easy to see how you went wrong.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

FJ today was beyond an instaget for me - I was gifted the book for Christmas when I was 5 years old, and it remains a favourite to this day.

For me too. I loved this book, still do. Plus, I'd just read an article about it on the Post.

13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I understood what they were going for in the clue, but never having read the Velveteen Rabbit, I was unable to pinpoint that as the stuffed animal brought to life.

If you love rabbits, you've got to read the book.

I did really well in Rhyming Responses, which isn't usual for me, but then I tanked in Synonyms, in which I usually do well.

Only got one beer - but then Maccabee gave it away. Not a beer drinker, despite my heritage.

Did well in historical figures and fiction - so all in all, a decent Jeopardy round.

Double Jeopardy was a different story. Got some. Only one in Album covers since I don't usually know the albums. But Bruce was right, and I did enjoy that album cover. 😉

All in all, better than yesterday. I'm not looking forward to Ken's departure, but I'll live with it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Everyone needs to stop mentioning this. You’re ruining my holiday cheer.

Sorry.  I won't mention it again.  Besides, she's probably improved after doing Celebrity Jeopardy.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

December 28:    

53% / 63% / 57%

Hmm…what's my excuse tonight? I left work late and got home five minutes before the game started and had to boot up my slow computer and I was too frazzled. That works.

In J! I missed one in Oscar Winners on TV, two in Compose Yourself and Dressed in White, and three each in the rest. In DJ I missed one in Human Body and It Had to be Hugh, three Literary Character Names, and two each in the rest. No clue for FJ. Got zero DDs and my Tses were Seymore (see more) Glass, epinephrine, dura mater, and Concentration.    

• Like 2