Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

"Hustle" in response to "Flow" made me laugh, although my mind didn't head toward "Ebb" either. I heard "Flo" and thought "Eddie." 🤦‍♀️

What a good game this was!

lol, I guessed Hustle, too (fully figuring it was wrong; it popped into my head and I just thought it was funny). I had no clue; I guess I missed that story.

Edited by ams1001
past tense is a thing
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Ignoring the category, I impulsively said "The Social Security Trust Fund" for FJ, before remembering they wanted a body of water. I got to "the reservoir behind the Hoover Dam" but I didn't know what it was called.

That was me, too. Close but not quite there.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Isn't Mead the one with the bodies being found? 

Yep. The Morning Brew blurb on the picture I posted also included the line, "The water dipped so low in Lake Mead that at least six corpses have been found, including one that’s probably from a 1980s mob hit."

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3

I tuned in for tonight's episode only to find the news about Barbara Walters.  After watching that special report, I checked the archive.  Thankfully, not being able to see the photo clues wasn't an issue.

I almost ran the entire first round, but missed two in derby.

In DJ, I was utterly terrible in directors, only knowing Spike Lee.  (Now that I know Regina King directed One Night in Miami, I will move that up my watch list.)  Other than that disaster, I did well.  I ran census and got all but one in history and NYE (I don't think the picture would have helped me with The Replacements).  I missed two each in the others.

FJ was an instaget, as it has been in the news here -- plus someone keeps posting in the Chit Chat forum every time a new body is found.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

They've got to be trolling us with, 'The Ageless Diana Ross.'

I’m guessing that’s the writers’ way of delivering a second-hand apology.

Pre-instaget for me, because I pre-guessed Lake Mead! I loooove it when that happens. Makes me feel like a psychic. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

(Now that I know Regina King directed One Night in Miami, I will move that up my watch list.)

Me, too!

The scores going into FJ tonight seemed like they were much higher than we've seen in recent memory. I was surprised because it didn't feel like there were fewer TS or wrong answers, but I guess there were.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

FJ was easy since photos of it (& it's expanding shoreline due to lack of rain) have been online all year. Isn't Mead the one with the bodies being found? Nice to see some real competition tonight.

Yes. It's been interesting what's been turning up, though I hope it starts filling up again soon.

Interesting (to me) trivia, it was called Hoover Dam at first. Then changed to Boulder Dam during Roosevelt's term. Then changed back to Hoover Dam in 1947. Ah, the games they play in Congress.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I tuned in for tonight's episode only to find the news about Barbara Walters.  After watching that special report, I checked the archive.  Thankfully, not being able to see the photo clues wasn't an issue.

I almost ran the entire first round, but missed two in derby.

In DJ, I was utterly terrible in directors, only knowing Spike Lee.  (Now that I know Regina King directed One Night in Miami, I will move that up my watch list.)

Yeah, we had the report too. Fortunately, we also have YouTube, so we watched it there.

One Night in Miami is a really interesting film, and educational (not in a boring way). I'd forgotten Regina King directed it. 

I'm generally bad at directors, I only got Ben Affleck for Gone Baby Gone because I confused it with Gone Girl, and thought Ben Affleck was a poor choice for the character and therefore figured he was the director. LOL.

Lake Mead wasn't an instaget, but I got it quickly. It's big news here on the west coast.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Ignoring the category, I impulsively said "The Social Security Trust Fund" for FJ, before remembering they wanted a body of water. I got to "the reservoir behind the Hoover Dam" but I didn't know what it was called.

I semi-confidently said the Empire State Bldg until I saw the category, oops! knew then it was an 'artificial' lake but by that time I could only come up with Lake Havasu and I wasn't even sure if it was man made. I have somehow missed all the news about Lake Mead.

• Like 3

I have to really *work* at reading the entire clue (even while playing the little J6 game on my phone). I'm in a hurry, racing through the clue and then can easily end up with an off-the-wall response that makes me so glad no one's around.

What's the deal with Diana Ross? Did something happen? I got all her clues (except one of her movies due to reading the clue too fast, once again 🤬).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's the deal with Diana Ross?

Clue: Your standard phonograph record until the 1950s, or the age Diana Ross turned in 2022

Jake answered: What is 90?

Real answer: 78

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
8 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Clue: Your standard phonograph record until the 1950s, or the age Diana Ross turned in 2022

Too young to have played 78's & 45's on the Victrola or Hi-Fi, I guess 😉

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What's the deal with Diana Ross?

That was after the one in March where the clue was 'In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material' and one of the contestants guessed Diana Ross.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

That was after the one in March where the clue was 'In 2021 at age 95, this singer achieved a Guinness World Record for the oldest person to release an album of new material' and one of the contestants guessed Diana Ross.

Exactly -- if it had just been the one time recently that contestants thought she was a lot older than she is, I'd have thought nothing of the category title.  But that it happened twice, yeah, that had to be deliberate.

4 hours ago, dgpolo said:

knew then it was an 'artificial' lake but by that time I could only come up with Lake Havasu and I wasn't even sure if it was man made.

Yep, it's another dam-formed reservoir (built to store Colorado River water for pumping into aqueducts).

• Like 4

I got Lake Mead, although I had a moment of uncertainty.  I always seem to get Lake Mead and Lake Powell confused.  They're both out in the southwest, and they've both lost a lot of water over the years.

• Like 4

Ray is going to have to stop giving me heart attacks! Wow, that was intense. 

And hooray, we still have Ken hosting! I thought his stint had ended. A truly pleasant surprise.

• Like 17
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

January 2:
80% / 80% / 79%

Ended the year on a meh note, starting the new on a much better one. Ran The Doctor Will See You Now and Grand Ole Opry Members, missed one each in Frogs and 3 Letters Starts with A, and two in Metals and History. In DJ I ran New Testament to the Map and State Governors, missed one in The Chase and Sacrificial Roles, and two in Writers' Middle Names and Friends.

I had no clue for FJ. Did not even think of art.

My TSes were Michigan J. Frog, Munich, and Columbus (DD).

Happy New Year!
image.png.9eeb68fbfef70b58b864c4a4d1f90157.png

Just now, rubaco said:

And hooray, we still have Ken hosting! I thought his stint had ended. A truly pleasant surprise.

Me, too, but I have to say when I sat down to watch I didn't even remember that I thought he was done for now. I'm so used to him I guess I just expect him. I cracked up at his saying he wished he could give Denise one million dollars for her Doctor Evil response.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I thought Ray was a goner for sure after he missed that DD!  Nice that he came back and made it a game.  I thought the other guy made a smart wager on FJ.

And FJ was an instaget -- I did try to second-guess myself, but just couldn't come up with anything else that made sense.  Good start to the new year, but I'm sure it will fall apart tomorrow.

TS I got were brass, Michigan J. Frog, Columbus, and cohort.

• Like 6

Football day and night for me, so I just took a little break to read through the clues via the archive.

I ran Grand Ole Opry, history, and metals and got all but one in frogs and "A", so other than missing two in doctors I did very well in the first round.

Same with DJ; in fact, I actually ran the New Testament category (because you didn't have to the know the Bible, just geography, but I'll take it!).  I also ran governors and friends, and got all but one in middle names (I should have got all but one in chase, but I could not get The French Connection from my brain to my mouth, so I missed two).  My only bad category was roles, in which I missed three.

And FJ was an instaget, so I'm off to a good start in 2023.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought Ray was a goner for sure after he missed that DD!  Nice that he came back and made it a game.

One reason Ray may be my favorite long-running champ is that so many of his games have been exciting like this.

FJ was an instaget. 

I got Ray’s missed DD of Columbus. I think I heard Ken say to Ray “No,” that it was “just Columbus” seeming to imagine with empathy that Ray probably dismissed Columbus as too easy or too obvious.

I vote for Denise for Second Chance.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Ray is going to have to stop giving me heart attacks! Wow, that was intense. 

I was literally holding my breath, waiting for Johnny Gilbert to say Ken’s name.   I also had the remote in hand in case he didn’t.   I’d have just gone to the online.   The longer Ken hosts, the more obvious it is that they just need to stick with him.  

And Ray is an excellent champ.  The games are exciting because the games aren’t all runaways.   

Essentially, I’m in Jeopardy heaven.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I tried to look up when Mayim is supposed to come back, but I didn't find a firm date. I thought it was going to be today, but obviously it wasn't.

One article I saw said "some time in January" and "until Feb 2". That seems like a really short time, if they're truly splitting the job.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

One article I saw said "some time in January" and "until Feb 2". That seems like a really short time, if they're truly splitting the job.

"Until Feb 2" was probably referring to Celebrity Jeopardy. The Wikipedia page for it shows the finals on 2/2. I was trying last week to look up when she would be back on the regular show and couldn't find it, either.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, rubaco said:

Same here! I had braced myself for Mayim, said a silent farewell to Ken, and oh! There he was! It was like finding an extra present under the Christmas tree.

Gutsy confident wager by Denise. I was hoping it would pay off for her. But I can’t begrudge Ray another squeaker. He definitely earned that one.

Near instaguess for me on FJ! Conquerors tend to pillage art, and the patriot was Italian, so thinking of famous Italian art led me straight to Mona Lisa. Plus, I knew she had been stolen at some point, so I was pretty confident. 

Edited to add: I tried to find news of Ken’s last day, but the closest I could find is this article, which says he has “quite a few weeks left”. The same article implies that Mayim will be hosting the college tournament that starts Feb. 8, so maybe Ken will be around until then? https://www.deseret.com/2022/12/30/23532543/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-hosting-now

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 8

I've watched episodes of this show called "Raiders of the Lost Art" about various lost/stolen artworks, and there was one about the Mona Lisa, so FJ was an instaget.

I'm thrilled Ray won but definitely admired Denise's game play and gutsy FJ wager.  She'd have to be a shoe-in for a 2nd Chance Tournament if they do another one.

Add me to the chorus of "Thank goodness it's still Ken!".

• Like 6
On 12/29/2022 at 8:05 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Re: the swiveling? He only does it when the game is on...not during introductions & the chats. 

I remember visiting a friend on the set of a soap years ago and as we were standing there quietly watching a scene being filmed, we were all swaying without even realizing it.  My friend had to tell us to stop because it could be distracting if the actors in the scene saw us in their peripheral vision.  So I always wonder if Ray even knows he's doing it in the moment.

So many close, exciting games this past week, it's been awesome!  In general, I hate superchamps because of all the runaways, but Ray has had some superb challengers recently and it's been so much fun to watch.  

• Like 4
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Edited to add: I tried to find news of Ken’s last day, but the closest I could find is this article, which says he has “quite a few weeks left”. The same article implies that Mayim will be hosting the college tournament that starts Feb. 8, so maybe Ken will be around until then? https://www.deseret.com/2022/12/30/23532543/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-hosting-now

This is what Lilly said on Twitter when someone asked if she knew anything (she's the one that comments on the 'fashion' and was there for some of the taped episodes: I have no inside info, but I believe Ken taped episodes in December that would run through mid-February, then the High School Reunion Tournament is scheduled for 2/20 - 3/9. I’ve seen people say Mayim is hosting that tournament but can’t find the original source for that.

Someone else tweeted a reply that they had been at a taping with Ken that was supposed to air in March.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I remember visiting a friend on the set of a soap years ago and as we were standing there quietly watching a scene being filmed, we were all swaying without even realizing it.  My friend had to tell us to stop because it could be distracting if the actors in the scene saw us in their peripheral vision.  So I always wonder if Ray even knows he's doing it in the moment.

Ray's swaying is due to an issue with his spinal cord.

I thought another poster had already brought that up, but maybe I saw it on Reddit or somewhere.

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

I was yelling "Columbus" at Ray as he was obviously drawing a blank on that question.  I was momentarily frustrated that he didn't get it, but then I had to realize that I was playing the game from my house, no bright lights, on a comfortable chaise with a sleeping cat in my lap, and drinking hot chocolate.  No comparision as far as pressure goes.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Yes, @SomeTameGazelle posted an article in which it's stated "He explained that he suffered some spinal cord damage over a period of years, and had to work hard to prevent muscle spasms in his legs while he was on camera".  That's the article quoted in the newer piece linked above.

Edited by Bastet
  • Thanks 2

But he doesn't do it unless he's speaking.  It's not constant - only when he's called on.  He's stationary when being introduced, or when listening to others speak.  I mean, I feel bad for anybody who has back problems or leg problems, making it hard to stand for any length of time.  But I do find it interesting that it's only when he's speaking.  I'm just glad all these games haven't been runaways - I really like the close ones.  And while I'm here - I, too, was thrilled to have Ken walk out yesterday!  Huge relief!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, labresq said:

I mean, I feel bad for anybody who has back problems or leg problems, making it hard to stand for any length of time.  But I do find it interesting that it's only when he's speaking

I have similar chronic pain that makes sitting for more than 10 minutes increasingly painful. I imagine when Ray needs to focus on coming up with correct responses to win cash, it is best to not also be trying to control his movements in such a way that is painful.

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, labresq said:

But he doesn't do it unless he's speaking.  It's not constant - only when he's called on.  He's stationary when being introduced, or when listening to others speak.  I mean, I feel bad for anybody who has back problems or leg problems, making it hard to stand for any length of time.  But I do find it interesting that it's only when he's speaking.  I'm just glad all these games haven't been runaways - I really like the close ones.  And while I'm here - I, too, was thrilled to have Ken walk out yesterday!  Huge relief!

It's only when the game is occurring and he's in the spotlight. I find that interesting. So glad Ken is still running the show. Mayim is ok, but Ken really is an excellent host. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Driad said:

I still don't see why they don't offer a tall chair (with a footrest) for contestants who prefer to sit.  I don't know whether Ray would, but some people would.

If he asked for one as a Reasonable Accommodation under the ADA, they'd be prosecutable if they denied it. I'm hoping this means he didn't want one.

• Like 3

67% / 60% / 64%

And we're back to meh (at best...). Ran Fictional Places, missed one in American Art and Romantic Movie Lines, two in Kid Cuisine, and three in Orgs and "U"; in DJ I missed one in Good Old US of A and Science News, two in Pop Music, L'Histoire de France, and 21, and four in Same First & Last Letter (I'm usually better with word categories; just couldn't get my brain to move fast enough tonight).

It was a complete and total guess but I got FJ right! Woohoo!

TSes were corn chowder, fish sticks (DD), taquito, Tacoma, Battery, and tract.

Lloyd's a bit of a swayer, too, but I like him. He's funny. (I had a feeling he was bluffing with covering his face before the reveal of his FJ response.)

• Like 2