Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I can't believe that getting Scheherazade right when all three contestants missed it brought me such joy.  I have no life. 

You and me both🙃

• Like 5

January 12:

63% / 73% / 68%

J!: Bleh. Ran nothing. Missed one in Booze, Sports Competitions, and Where Did I Leave My Keys?, two in Inspiration, and three each in Animal Phrases and Dictators.

DJ: Better…ran Deserts, missed three in Shakespeare, two Albums, and one in the rest.

FJ: Not a clue. Clearly my 7th grade French did not serve me very well. "La tapisserie" made me think of pastry. Or maybe I just need to eat dinner.

TS: I got zero TSes, because there were none to get!

• Like 4

I knew FJ was a tapestry, but I didn't know the name of it.  And I was picturing the wrong one anyway (after googling the correct one).

I was worried about Yogesh for a minute -- middle guy was pretty fast on the buzzer, too.

Outstanding game. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I knew FJ was a tapestry, but I didn't know the name of it.  And I was picturing the wrong one anyway (after googling the correct one).

I was worried about Yogesh for a minute -- middle guy was pretty fast on the buzzer, too.

Outstanding game. 

Don't think we need to worry about Yogesh. Didn't he beat Watson? 

• Like 3

I did get FJ just about an instaget. It was impressive that every question was answered correctly by someone this game. I don't know if I've seen that before, or I have and didn't notice. Loved Ken accusing Yogesh of showing off with his Liberty answer.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Ken's "show-off" response to Yogesh on the Statue of Liberty clue.

Brandy Alexander is one of my mom's favorite drinks (I don't like them -- I like each ingredient, but not together), and I've never in my life seen anyone else drink one.  I'll have to tell her about John Lennon.  And Harry Nilsson, apparently, as I looked it up and he's the one who introduced Lennon to it (on a night the two went on to become drunken hecklers and get kicked out of the Troubador [they sent apology flowers to the performer]).

I got all but three in the first round; I missed two in inspiration and one in animal phrases (I'd never heard "the worm has turned"). 

In DJ, I ran Latin and anatomy and got all but one in desert.  I missed three in Shakespeare (not surprising, nor was the fact the two I got were the two lowest-valued clues in the category) and two each in albums and the British category (which I was hoping to run, but I couldn't get Chancellor of the Exchequer from my brain to my mouth in time and I didn't know the name of Tottenham's rival).

I didn't know FJ, though -- Tapestry Something was as far as I got.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

He was speaking so fast that I thought he included Watson. Maybe that was Ken just making a joke. 

I think, but I’m not certain, that he said he and Watson are the only ones who have beaten both Ken and Brad.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Brandy Alexander is one of my mom's favorite drinks (I don't like them -- I like each ingredient, but not together), and I've never in my life seen anyone else drink one.  I'll have to tell her about John Lennon.  And Harry Nilsson, apparently, as I looked it up and he's the one who introduced Lennon to it (on a night the two went on to become drunken hecklers and get kicked out of the Troubador [they sent apology flowers to the performer]).

Never had one.  I know of it from The Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Mary's job interview--

Lou Grant (pulling a bottle of whiskey from his desk drawer): Would you like a dirnk?

Mary: All right, I'll have a Brandy Alexander.

• LOL 11

Mr. Zoey likes Brandy Alexanders. We bought the ingredients to make them at home recently. When we go for a celebratory meal (anniversary, birthday), I'll have dessert, but he'll have a Brandy Alexander.

I'm not sure I would have spelled the Bayeaux Tapestry correctly. I always think Bayou (as in Louisiana) before correcting myself. 

I'm having a good, not perfect, week for FJ. No TS for the game is very impressive!

• Like 4

Yogesh’s speed and ocean of knowledge is impressive. Obviously I didn’t get any TSs because there weren’t any, but I didn’t get FJ either. 
It was a Christmas Eve tradition to have a Brandy Alexander. My grandmother could find any excuse to have some brandy 😂

• Like 6

I'm guessing y'all could hear me screaming "Arsenal!!!" from my couch last night.  Well, my next door neighbor probably could, at least.  The timing of that clue was pretty damned great, given that the second half of the North London Derby is Sunday.  It's at Spurs' grounds, though, alas.  (Too bad they didn't keep the name White Hart Lane since the new stadium is in almost exactly the same spot.  Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a really lame name.)

That was a good game for me.  I ran Brews 'N Booze, Dictators & Tyrants, Sports Competitions, Where Did I Leave My Keys?, The Speaker In Shakespeare and What's All This Then?.  Got all but one clue in There's An Animal In That Phrase, You're My Inspiration and Classic Albums.  No stumpers obviously.

FJ was an instaget since the French word for 'tapestry' was right there in the title.  Allegedly the Bayeux Tapestry (which is actually an embroidery) was commissioned by William the Conqueror's wife, Matilda of Flanders, hence the "tapisserie de la reine Mathilde".  Most scholars think it was actually ordered by William's half-brother, the Bishop Odo, who was apparently a shapechanger from the Delta Quadrant.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

You were thinking of "Patisserie". Maybe you're just dyslexic!

Or hungry. 😁

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I enjoyed Ken's "show-off" response to Yogesh on the Statue of Liberty clue.

I did too.

It was a mediocre game for me, though I almost ran the desert category - which is completely amazing and a fluke.

I knew it was the Bayeux tapestry, but struggled with how to say it (and I wasn't sure how to spell it, but turns out I spelled it correctly). For some reason that Tapestry sticks in my mind.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

On our first trip to France, we stayed in Bayeux for 5 nights while we tooled around Normandy, and saw the tapestry. So easy FJ for us.

From The Jeopardy! Fan:

Andy’s Thoughts:

This was the first regular-play game since February 25, 1998 where all 61 clues were both played and responded to correctly.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 5

I thought Yogesh was going to destroy the signaling device.

And with both hands! His whole body gets into it when he buzzes in. It's funny on the occasions when someone beats him, and they're just standing there, while he's jumping, and mashing at the buzzer with both hands! I've never seen a buzzer technique like it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

And with both hands! His whole body gets into it when he buzzes in. It's funny on the occasions when someone beats him, and they're just standing there, while he's jumping, and mashing at the buzzer with both hands! I've never seen a buzzer technique like it. 

It is pretty wild, but obviously it's working for him.  Maybe I should've done it that way. 😏

• Wink 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm guessing y'all could hear me screaming "Arsenal!!!" from my couch last night.  Well, my next door neighbor probably could, at least.  The timing of that clue was pretty damned great, given that the second half of the North London Derby is Sunday.  It's at Spurs' grounds, though, alas.  (Too bad they didn't keep the name White Hart Lane since the new stadium is in almost exactly the same spot.  Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a really lame name.)

It's not just Spurs that did that with a new stadium. When my team (Cardiff City) built their new stadium they just called it the Cardiff City stadium even though the old one was called Ninian Park & the new one was built across the road and a lot of teams have done the same when moving stadiums. They just don't have the same intimidation factor anymore.

FJ was an instaget for me which probably has more to do with my British schooling than anything else as we were taught some weird stuff in school that nobody ever believed we would need.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 2

I had a terrible, terrible game. In my defense, I had had an exhausting day and only 4 hours sleep the night before. But I didn’t realize how tired my brain was until I tried to play Stupid Jeopardy (or “Celebrity Jeopardy”, as ABC calls it) right afterward and couldn’t answer their clues, either. I gave up after the first round and took a nap.

I think Yogesh is going to be around for a while.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 2

FJ: "Heller" was such a bad answer. You need to pick an author which has the same protagonist(s) in many books, both before & after the author's death.  I said "Ludlum", since I knew that several "Bourne" books have come out after his death (which was 2001, so only off by 7 years). My mother said "Robert B. Parker" (also several books after his death (which was in 2010, so only off by 2 years)). Way to go Yogesh! Nearly $100K in only 3 wins.

• Like 6

I guessed FJ right.  Can't say I knew Tom Clancy was dead, but a correct guess is a correct guess.

I din't get any missed clues or run any categories, but did better than Wednesday.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, illdoc said:

FJ: "Heller" was such a bad answer. You need to pick an author which has the same protagonist(s) in many books, both before & after the author's death.  I said "Ludlum", since I knew that several "Bourne" books have come out after his death (which was 2001, so only off by 7 years). My mother said "Robert B. Parker" (also several books after his death (which was in 2010, so only off by 2 years)). Way to go Yogesh! Nearly $100K in only 3 wins.

I guessed Ludlum, too. But he died in 2001. Wasn't home so I couldn't keep score, so I don't know how I did, but given the rest of the week, that's probably just as well.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I didn't have a clue for FJ tonight.  Seemed obvious when the correct response was revealed, but I don't think I'd ever have come up with it on my own.  

As for TS, I said "mom" instead of motherhood, and I guessed "rum" line -- definitely wrong if I'd had to spell it, but since it's pronounced the same as "rhumb", I'm giving it to myself!  

• Like 7
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I had a terrible, terrible game. In my defense, I had had an exhausting day and only 4 hours sleep the night before. But I didn’t realize how tired my brain was until I tried to play Stupid Jeopardy (or “Celebrity Jeopardy”, as ABC calls it) right afterward and couldn’t answer their clues, either. I gave up after the first round and took a nap.

I think Yogesh is going to be around for a while.

God, I hope not

• Like 1

Poor Brenda; she only managed to ring in on seven, and got three of those wrong (including the embarrassing "Boston" brain fart) -- I hope she's still glad to have had an opportunity most don't achieve.

I would have been surprised no one picked a Beatle to guess if not for where they all were in the game - Yogesh and Michael neck-and-neck and Brenda in the red - and thus not wanting to risk even $400 on guessing the wrong one.

I ran thank you (which I was not expecting as I'm so hit and miss on pop culture and don't watch award shows), literary (which I really wasn't expecting given my spotty track record), and fame & fortune in the first round.  I also got all but one in goes with, but missed two each in the rest.  So, close but no cigar.

Almost the same in DJ -- I ran words and linear (thanks to the correct guess of a "rum" line), got all but one in 1923 and dance, and missed two each in the rest.

My great game did not continue into FJ, though; I had no idea.  I figured it was an author who wrote a detective series - so, looking up Jack Ryan [I've heard of the character, but knew nothing about him], apparently I was wrong right off the bat - but couldn't think of a prolific one who'd died ten years ago.  (I probably read about Clancy's death at the time, but simply read the headline and moved on, not retaining the information.)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't have a clue for FJ tonight.  Seemed obvious when the correct response was revealed, but I don't think I'd ever have come up with it on my own.  

My bad wrong guess was Clive Cussler. I know very little about late 20th century manly adventure and/or spy novels and am unable to distinguish between them.

Michael was extremely strong. It's hard to say if he could have managed a runaway if he had got Back to Africa -- just the extra 10k would not have been enough, but would he have wagered differently on the 2nd DD in the round? Does Yogesh buzz better under pressure? He really closed the gap late in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Andy Saunders on his The Jeopardy! Fan website says that Yogesh is considered one of the best quizzers in the US.

And he will personally tell you all about it based on things he has said so far. 

He better be there for awhile to justify his boasting 

I didn't know fj.  Didn't know tom clancy was dead either. 

• Like 10
  • Wink 1
45 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And he will personally tell you all about it based on things he has said so far. 

To be fair, it's not like he's bringing up his trivia history unprompted. Not surprised that that they would ask him about that stuff since it's relevant to the show. 

• Like 9
Just now, ams1001 said:

To be fair, it's not like he's bringing up his trivia history unprompted. Not surprised that that they would ask him about that stuff since it's relevant to the show. 

From what I understand they make you list like 3 items to be asked about for the show and at least two of the things he seemingly listed were about him beating former contestants in some way.  Including the current host. 

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

From what I understand they make you list like 3 items to be asked about for the show and at least two of the things he seemingly listed were about him beating former contestants in some way.  Including the current host. 

True, but I'm assuming the show already knew about it. Are they required to only use the topics the contestants give them and/or do they ever suggest things to include?

• Like 2

I'd be more impressed with Yogesh if he'd won on Only Connect, even though it would mean he was part of a 3 person team. It requires more than trivia recall.

Edited by ABay
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

They're good stories and relate to Jeopardy. Everybody who has jeopardy related stories put those on their list. I've certainly heard plenty of them (and have one of my own - though I'll never be on the show).

Mediocre game, and I didn't get FJ. I don't read Clancy novels, so I had no idea.

But I liked that it was down to the FJ between Yogesh and Michael.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

SONNY LISTON???  To me, that was a worse brain-fart than "Boston."

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I can only hope he didn’t see the picture clearly and just named a boxer.

I thought of Tom Clancy instantly for FJ but had no idea if he was dead or not. I’ve never read any of his books or seen any of the films/TV shows based on them, but that’s just the name that immediately pops into my head when I think of military action novels.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Like 4

I didn’t know Tom Clancy is dead, either, although he never entered my mind. I took a wild guess and said Ken Follett, who I thought was dead but isn’t. I’m going to blame it on a still-sleepy brain… yeah, that was it. Definitely.

If I had 3 stories about winning trivia tournaments and being generally brilliant, I’d use those, too. What else am I going to talk about, that time I found a potato chip that looked like Abe Lincoln? Yogesh has a brief time in the spotlight, so I don’t mind if he wants to flaunt a little.

13 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Everybody who has jeopardy related stories put those on their list. I've certainly heard plenty of them (and have one of my own - though I'll never be on the show).

Do tell!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Do tell!

Back in 1989, we lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. We were in the mid-west visiting family when the big earthquake happened. Since all the news focused on San Francisco, we were a bit frantic about finding out whether our South Bay home (much closer to the epicenter) was damaged. All they said about the South Bay was that they hadn't heard from them (yikes). But my husband's grandmother didn't care. She said "you can read it in the paper tomorrow, I want to watch Jeopardy!!"

PS - Our house was fine. We only lost one plant, and our toddler's stacked bathtub toys didn't even fall down. We had a good foundation, thankfully.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Yogesh is 38 years old. His high school quiz bowl or whatever was over 20 years ago and he specifically remembered that he played a former jeopardy player AND his team beat him twice?   

Sure i can see him saying yes we competed against each other i realized when he was on the show same area high schools, but I dont recall the outcome it was 20 + years ago. But no....he specifically recalled the results of an two decade old high school trivia competition and how many times they played each other?  That minutia just knew off the top of his head? 

Even for someone good at trivia seems a stretch.  Unless he has an idyllic memory.  But even then ....just turns me off he brings it up that way. 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I remember the kids who were on the yearbook committee with me in junior high, and I'm 57, and none of those people are famous.

Yes, but you went to Junior High with them, and probably saw them quite often doing committee work. Yogesh & James went to different high schools. He saw him twice, for maybe an hour each time, and may not (probably did not) have even spoken to him. Do you remember any random stranger you met 20 years ago?

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Yes, but you went to Junior High with them, and probably saw them quite often doing committee work. Yogesh & James went to different high schools. He saw him twice, for maybe an hour each time, and may not (probably did not) have even spoken to him. Do you remember any random stranger you met 20 years ago?

Indeed I do.  During memorable events and/or experiences I've had - some up to 45 years ago - I remember many "random strangers" I met who made the event/experience memorable, even if I haven't been in contact with them since.  I'd guess that was a memorable experience for Yogesh, so why wouldn't he remember James. 

I'm enjoying him and his rapport with Ken. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1