Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ken: Liz Truss is now the Prime Minister.

Me: Not anymore…

Add two more voices to that chorus from my house! We shouted that out in unison.

But that wasn’t my first time shouting in this game. “HE DOESN’T HAVE A TAIL??” I had to look up a picture before I believed Ken. Nope. No, he does not. Huh.

Good game for me overall. I got the missed clues of Boston Massacre, Carpathia, osteoarthritis, Liz Truss and unintelligible, ran Cereal, C-Bands and Real Person, and thanks to my buddy Ernest H., I will not have two sad FJ bagel weeks in a row.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Blew topiary. I'm in the recliner, scissoring my fingers, but couldn't come up with the word.

Is your first name Edward, by chance?

• LOL 11
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That's one of the easiest final jeopardy questions in awhile. Who else would it be?

F. Scott Fitzgerald.  But it wasn't, so no FJ for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

But that wasn’t my first time shouting in this game. “HE DOESN’T HAVE A TAIL??” I had to look up a picture before I believed Ken. Nope. No, he does not. Huh.

I didn't look up a picture because Ken's wrong. I don't care if he's right:)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't look up a picture because Ken's wrong. I don't care if he's right:)

According to Reference.com:

Curious George the monkey is most likely tail-free because he is either a bonobo or a Barbary macaque. H.A. and Margret Reys [sic], his creators, are both deceased and never addressed this burning question.

Monkeys almost always have prehensile tails, while apes never have tails. For this reason, knowledgeable readers of the story are understandably confused by his tailless status. In the 1930s, when Curious George was created, smaller apes and even chimpanzees were often called monkeys. Though this is taxonomically incorrect, it was acceptable usage at the time. For that reason, George may be the bonobo, or dwarf chimpanzee, he most closely resembles.

He might also be a Barbary macaque. Macaques are African monkeys, but this particular species has no tail. However, since George does not resemble a Barbary macaque, it is most likely that he is a bonobo mistakenly referred to as a monkey.

🐵

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 5
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I have Curious George magnets on my fridge, and I still didn't realize he didn't have a tail.  I can, however, say "Who is the man in the yellow hat?" in Spanish.  (Quien es el hombre del sombrero amarillo?)

• Applause 6

The curious George thing is one ive seen dozens of times on click bait online links. Along with there being no jiffy peanut butter (skippy amd jif, no jiffy), froot loops is not spelled fruit loops, it's the Berenstain bears not Berenstein or beranstein  or any other variation.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

I did get the Carpathia, but I'm not able to give the name of any ship on this show without first thinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

15 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Was rooting for Sadie, and she has gorgeous hair!

I really liked her blouse too.  We should all be so lucky, to look that good on TV!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I can't believe I couldn't think of Liz Truss's name.

To be fair, she wasn't in our news for very long.

18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Wencelas response wasn't too far off if you know the lyrics to the Christmas song.

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had watched "The Poseidon Adventure" in the morning, so that was pretty much all I could think of as far as ships go.  Blew topiary. I'm in the recliner, scissoring my fingers, but couldn't come up with the word.

Nice to know someone else makes hand gestures while trying to think of the word that goes with it!

18 hours ago, illdoc said:

Did the Jeopardy curse strike??: Q:  Queen Elizabeth II's last appearance was to appoint this woman as the 15th prime minister of her majesty's reign. A:  Liz Truss (who, the J! archive notes, was still PM on Sept 15 when the episode was taped (and, therefore, had only been PM about a week)).

Less of a curse than a rimshot in our house. We had ourselves a good laugh.

Got FJ, thank goodness. If there's a "manly" author it's Hemingway. One of the reasons I don't like him. His writing style is another. Boring, imo.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

froot loops is not spelled fruit loops

Huh.  I knew the others you listed, but this bit of trivia is new to me (I don't eat cereal, but I've seen commercials, and obviously never paid any attention to what was on the box).  We'll see if that ever comes in handy (if it sticks in my mind to begin with).

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I can, however, say "Who is the man in the yellow hat?" in Spanish.  (Quien es el hombre del sombrero amarillo?)

A what, now?

A53E324B-297A-48F0-910B-E9373E242CFD.jpeg.fe4059f5fa851627fea8ef8ffe0d30f0.jpeg

😉 (I know, but this is the first thing that popped into my mind.)

• LOL 10
26 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

A what, now?

A53E324B-297A-48F0-910B-E9373E242CFD.jpeg.fe4059f5fa851627fea8ef8ffe0d30f0.jpeg

😉 (I know, but this is the first thing that popped into my mind.)

I can say Trix is for kids, not rabbits. 

Trix es para ninos, no es Para conejos .....

Because we watched Spanish commercials every year in Spanish class 30 years ago. And Trix was one of nines,

I can also spell Trix in Spanish, they did that in the commercial too. But that doesn't translate very well in the written form 

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

87% / 53% / 70%

J!: Almost forgot I was keeping score…had to go back and fill in after the round. But it was a good round! Ran Green Party and Elements and missed one each in everything else.

DJ: Missed one Revolt, one Essay Question, two Festivals, three Movies, and thanks to Midnight Catfight I didn't completely fail the Rhymes.

FJ: I got it! I am shocked!

There were no TS in the first round...in DJ I only got Chinese New Year. But I got all the Daily Doubles!

Don't remember any of these people but I was rooting for Jack.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I got FJ.  I immediately said North Sea and then vacillated beween Baltic and Black (geography is not my strongsuit) and landed on Baltic, luckily.

The only missed clue I got was Chinese New Year.

I got the entire category of green right.

I did fairly well in the first round, but DJ were not mycategories.  The only category I got more right than wrong was revolts, where I onlymissed Decembrists.  October Revolution was in my head, so I said Octobrists.  LOl.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can also spell Trix in Spanish, they did that in the commercial too. But that doesn't translate very well in the written form 

Ah, a challenge.  Tay airay ee aykees.

Well, I tried.

• Love 1

I got a few TSs, but didn’t run anything. I got Greenlight a website, Brad Pitt and Chinese New Year. 

I swear I heard (non plural) Jack Daniel. Isn’t it Jack Daniel’s? Maybe I’m used to hearing it in combination with Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey. 

• Love 1

And this is the safe that killed Jack Daniel... It was being balky and wouldn't open, so he kicked it, fracturing his toe which then became gangrenous, and the infection spread to his entire body, killing him.  My, the things you learn when you tour a distillery!

2014.06.08.08.Safe that killed Jack.JPG

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 11
  • Useful 1

I heard Tom to correctly say Jack Daniel's (which is what the archive lists his response as [although it incorrectly has it presented as something accepted, but Jack Daniel being the response they were going for]).  If he'd said Daniel, I would call bullshit on accepting it -- this is one of those things where paying attention to what the clue is asking for is part of the game, and it wasn't asking for the man the brand is named after, it asked for the brand, which is Jack Daniel's.  (They've done the opposite before, asking for the man, which has tripped up contestants who think his last name was Daniels and are thus ruled incorrect.)

As someone who has endometriosis, I appreciated the clue bringing attention to how common it is.

LOL at Alicia having to correct herself to "competition" when she called this a "tournament" in her interview.  I remembered her because I liked her glasses; I looked up her original game, and I'd been rooting for her and was bummed when she lost because of FJ wagering -- she and the guy who won both got it right, but, while what he should wager was clear, betting strategy required her to choose from a range and she just didn't get lucky in what she chose.

I was terrible in TV cartoons - not a surprise, as I've watched very few in my lifetime - missing three.  (And it would have been four had my best friend's brother not gone through a He-Man phase, subjecting us to hearing "I have the power!" all.the.damn.time for awhile.)  Other than that, I did well in the first round, running three categories and getting all but one in the other two.

In DJ, Recent Movies was my terrible category -- and even more terrible than I expected, as I blew the entire thing.  Again, if I could have removed one category, I'd have had a good round.  I didn't run anything, but I got all but one in three categories and missed two in the others.

I got FJ pretty quickly by pulling up my mental map, so I ended on a happy note.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"You'll be well over a mile high at the top of 714-foot Republic Plaza, this city's tallest building"

Can someone explain how a plaza can be a building?  A plaza to me is an open space, like a square.

(Got iodine and Decemberists.)

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 2

Meh game for me. But I got half (Baltic) right on FJ! And I’m taking that as a win, because geography is my nemesis and every little victory counts.

3 hours ago, mertensia said:

Meese is a joke plural of moose. I've heard it before, especially after Ed Meese was part of Reagan's government.

No, meece is the plural of mouse! “I hate those meeces to pieces”, etc. Common knowledge.

C47193A4-5F11-4601-B852-7218036BE3E1.jpeg.250d68699ad0c99a0862a792132a1bc0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  I immediately said North Sea and then vacillated beween Baltic and Black (geography is not my strongsuit) and landed on Baltic, luckily.

The only missed clue I got was Chinese New Year.

I got the entire category of green right.

I did fairly well in the first round, but DJ were not mycategories.  The only category I got more right than wrong was revolts, where I onlymissed Decembrists.  October Revolution was in my head, so I said Octobrists.  LOl.

Ah, a challenge.  Tay airay ee aykees.

Well, I tried.

Yeah that's pretty close. 

It's funny they don't want anyone calling it a tournament but then I turn on my ti-faux to watch and description is Second Chance Tournament. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband said the same thing. Made me wonder if Ken had only read the word and not heard it pronounced.

That's my situation with the word.  I've always pronounced the g because I guess I've never heard anyone say it correctly.

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And this is the safe that killed Jack Daniel... It was being balky and wouldn't open, so he kicked it, fracturing his toe which then became gangrenous, and the infection spread to his entire body, killing him.  My, the things you learn when you tour a distillery!

Note to self: don't kick things!

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Meh game for me. But I got half (Baltic) right on FJ! And I’m taking that as a win, because geography is my nemesis and every little victory counts.

I thought the strait names looked Scandinavian so I guessed the 2 seas I thought were closed to there.  I was correct but only by chance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Anyone able to say "That man has an armadillo on his head" in Spanish?

I actually watched a couple minutes of Curious George last night to see tail or no tail for myself. He was wearing a long t-shirt but I concluded George is a chimpanzee so no tail. However, I wonder if his rear end is ever shown or is he always wearing clothing. Maybe his tail is folded up inside the shirt.

• Love 1

I thought the rhyming category was more fun than they usually are.  I got several, including my only ts of impolite Jacobite.

I did come up with the North Sea and the Baltic Sea for FJ, was pretty sure that was correct but I was relieved when it was confirmed.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought the strait names looked Scandinavian so I guessed the 2 seas I thought were closed to there.  I was correct but only by chance.

That was my thought process as well!

3 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Anyone able to say "That man has an armadillo on his head" in Spanish?

Google translate gives me Ese hombre tiene un armadillo en la cabeza.

Just now, Trey said:

I thought the rhyming category was more fun than they usually are.  I got several, including my only ts of impolite Jacobite.

It was fun but I was just not quick enough for most of them (though I would not have come up with "Jacobite" let alone something that rhymes with it).

• Love 3

I went with black and Caspian sea for fj even though I was pretty sure they are not connected. 

And they aren't. 

It did sound more north Atlantic/ Scandinavian but could think of a guess there other than north sea. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

No, meece is the plural of mouse! “I hate those meeces to pieces”, etc. Common knowledge.

C47193A4-5F11-4601-B852-7218036BE3E1.jpeg.250d68699ad0c99a0862a792132a1bc0.jpeg

I got the other half (North Sea) but didn't get Baltic.  Geography isn't my subject either.

It was bugging me because I KNEW I'd seen meeces as a plural of mouse but couldn't place it, thank you!

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1

I am a geography idiot but I got Black Sea. I could tell they were looking for something up Scandihoovian way so I said Bering for the other, thinking a out what used to be Lapland. I got Jacobite but couldn’t come up with impolite.  

• Like 1

Although Jack not immediately saying "Moose" for the plural was amusingly startling, it brought the voice of Bullwinkle J. Moose to my mind, rather than the cartoon mice usage.  
Rocky and Bullwinkle did have an episode, "Missouri Mish Mash" with the #12 segment titled: "One of Our Meese Is Missing or Heads You Lose" (thetvdb.com/series/the-rocky-and-bullwinkle-show/episodes/4358351) but I was not able to find a video in which "meese" is spoken.
So I am assuming the "Burden of Knowledge" in the Brain of Jack made him think of "Meese" as the alternative plural they wanted, and that he of course does know "Moose" is the plural of Moose.
But maybe he was thinking of "Meece." 🐁🐭

Equally surprising, I did get FJ.

• "The Kattegat & Skagerrak Straits separate these 2 seas"

sounded Scandinavian, so I started with "North Sea." 
Then, filed in my mind under B was "Black Sea," but when one of the college students I worked with who was from that region had suggested I retire there 🧸, I had looked at the Black Sea on the map, so knew that was in the wrong local for this FJ.
Then "Baltic Sea" came to mind, but it seemed possibly too far east, as I think of the "Baltic States," where, in the 1960s, my fellow-high school alum and first college roommate was from (Latvia) as being part of then-Russia/USSR.
Then I chastised myself for having given up on playing the geography versions of wordle, but decided on "North Sea" and "Black Sea." 
Hooray for me! 😁

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Google translate gives me Ese hombre tiene un armadillo en la cabeza.

I'm gonna have to remember that one.

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Then I chastised myself for having given up on playing the geography versions of wordle, but decided on "North Sea" and "Black Sea." 

I thought it was Baltic.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

Unfortunately, I was not so lucky. It's not that I don't know the locations of the two seas (despite being geographically challenged), it's that they both begin with B and have an "a" and an "l" in them. So I get them confused. Which is better than my other "confusion" - Pollock and Calder. I have no idea why on that one - they're very different artists.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A lesson on why you should not lash out at inanimate objects stronger than you. That's quite a story, I never heard that before.

13 hours ago, Leeds said:

"You'll be well over a mile high at the top of 714-foot Republic Plaza, this city's tallest building"

Can someone explain how a plaza can be a building?  A plaza to me is an open space, like a square.

(Got iodine and Decemberists.)

I'm assuming that it's the address (maybe the only building in the plaza that uses the address). But you know what they say about assumptions. In any case, mile high got it for me, having lived in Colorado (though not Denver).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

Republic Plaza is a skyscraper in Denver, Colorado. Rising 717 feet (219 m),[3] the building currently stands as the tallest building in the city of Denver and the entire Rocky Mountain region of the United States.[2] It was built in 1984,[3] and contains 56 floors, the majority of which are used as office space. Republic Plaza currently stands as the 137th-tallest building in the United States.

In this case, plaza is part of the name of the building.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's funny they don't want anyone calling it a tournament but then I turn on my ti-faux to watch and description is Second Chance Tournament. 

They’re the ones who started calling it a tournament before they changed their minds, so they can’t complain if not everyone got the memo. It did make me laugh when one of the contestants yesterday started to say “tourna-“ before quickly correcting herself.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

thought the strait names looked Scandinavian so I guessed the 2 seas I thought were closed to there.  I was correct but only by chance.

Yeah, figuring out the Skandinavian connection was the easy part. The hard part (for me) was trying to remember what seas are remotely near that part of the world…🤷🏼‍♀️

35 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Is anyone getting a lot of those boxes that say “There was a problem reacting to this post”? 
I tried to give a few of you likes, but they wouldn’t stick. 

Not today, but it has happened a few times over the last couple months. I usually just say something along the lines of I love everything everyone has written in the last x hours and leave it at that.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

They’re the ones who started calling it a tournament before they changed their minds, so they can’t complain if not everyone got the memo. It did make me laugh when one of the contestants yesterday started to say “tourna-“ before quickly correcting herself.

I don't even understand.  Am I insane (well, I am, but specifically), but didn't they have a graphic before the game started that says tournament on it, and Ken said it was the Second Chance tournament when he was doing his little intro before going to the podium?  I'm not imagining this am I? I might be.  I thought Curious George had a tail.  I clearly live in my own little universe.

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I love rhyming categories, so I always think they're fun.  That was the only one I didn't get; I never would have known Jacobite even if I had come up with impolite in time (which I didn't).

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love rhyming categories, so I always think they're fun.  That was the only one I didn't get; I never would have known Jacobite even if I had come up with impolite in time (which I didn't).

I said trite Jacobite. Hey, it at least rhymed.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I never would have known Jacobite even if I had come up with impolite in time (which I didn't).

Jacobite is the part I did get, I was working on the other half when time ran out (it is rather like having to get 2 clues in the time of 1) I also only got the halves of: dynamite; midnight; and Luddite.

• Like 2
  • Love 1