Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

When? If they had reruns featuring the second-chancers, I missed that. (And with my memory, if it didn’t happen just before the tournament, I’d probably forget them again.) Maybe before each bracket starts, they should do an episode featuring the best clips from people who will appear in that bracket. That might help to develop rooting interest.

Over the summer when they usually rerun the tournaments, they did select "favorite" games or whatever. I don't know if they were all second chance contestants and they weren't necessarily identified as such (unless you follow the J! blog or other sites, maybe; I don't know).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

When? If they had reruns featuring the second-chancers, I missed that

The 6 (?) weeks of reruns just before the start of the season. In fact, the commercials would say "watch so-and-so earn their second chance". Most of the episodes featured the "super champs". Some of the episodes didn't have the second-chancers, but might be a super champ losing.

• Like 3

I am on a roll this week!  As in I did not get FJ tonight, either.  I also said Philadelphia, but as we know, history is not one of my stronger categories.

But I did get the TS of virtual private network, Wise, colloquial, crocodile, and Kimberly-Clark.

• Like 3

Not that it matters, but did anyone else hear Pam say "Groundhogs Day" instead of "Groundhog Day". I was expecting Ken to rule her incorrect. I have it recorded so I could go back and listen again.

Glad we get J! on 2 channels. We normally watch on Fox's Baltimore affiliate at 7 pm, but they were showing baseball. We also get it on ABC's DC affiliate at 7:30 pm.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Not that it matters, but did anyone else hear Pam say "Groundhogs Day" instead of "Groundhog Day". I was expecting Ken to rule her incorrect. I have it recorded so I could go back and listen again.

I heard "Groundhogs."

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

I heard "Groundhogs."

She definitely said "Groundhogs" (though the J! Archive says "Groundhog") and Ken sort of paused (actually he said "yooooou got it") before accepting it. I'd guess they were more lenient because they were asking for the holiday and not the movie title.

• Love 1

Boo, hiss -- I really liked Pam in her original game, so I was rooting for her.

No one knowing Andre Braugher bummed me out; he's a great actor.

I was off to a terrible start in this game, only running idioms in the first round.  I got all but one in history and holidays, but missed three each in computing and writers and two in TV.

I rebounded in DJ, though; I ran buttes and companies and got all but one in adjectives and songs.  I missed two in science and nature (it should have been one, but I said alligator instead of crocodile, even though I know the croc is bigger <grrr>).  My only bad category was Faith, Hope & Charity, in which I missed three.

And I got FJ very quickly, so thankfully that first round was just an aberration.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guess Cambridge might point you to Newton and thus apples.

I thought MIT > physics > Newton > apple  immediately and the only thing that gave me pause was wondering if they required anything more specific. I didn't recall Newton being associated with Cambridge and indeed may have scrambled it into a double reference to MIT.

Today I guessed Paris only because I couldn't think of a US city that particularly  linked the gentlemen mentioned. But for all I knew there could have been one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

The 6 (?) weeks of reruns just before the start of the season. In fact, the commercials would say "watch so-and-so earn their second chance". 

Ah, thanks. I never watch the summer reruns so I had no idea. And I’m assuming you would have to be watching those episodes to see the commercials, but odds are I’d have missed them either way. Everything I watch is on streaming or DVR, with a FF button close at hand.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

But the "holiday" is Groundhog Day. No s. I say the judges blew it.

I think that’s just one of those situations where so many people say “Groundhog’s” that it’s become an acceptable alternative. (Don’t blame me! I say “Groundhog”!)

0/3 on FJs. And that’s all I want to say about that.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She definitely said "Groundhogs" (though the J! Archive says "Groundhog") and Ken sort of paused (actually he said "yooooou got it") before accepting it. I'd guess they were more lenient because they were asking for the holiday and not the movie title.

Yes.
The closed captioning of the YouTube video shows the possessive form of the word:

image.png.1dee41f6abb3c651f0245f56aeb8e797.png

38 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I think that’s just one of those situations where so many people say “Groundhog’s” that it’s become an acceptable alternative. (Don’t blame me! I say “Groundhog”!)

I say "Groundhog Day" too, but, if I were working as an editor for the OED at some future date when "Groundhog's Day" was about to be included (I just checked, and the possessive form is not shown in the current OED Online), I would note this appearance of "Groundhog's Day" on the website of the National Weather Service: 
     weather.gov/arx/holiday_groundhog
For those of us old enough to read HTML, the title tag for the page is even:
     <title>Groundhog's Day Climate & History</title>
and the meta tag's content attribute is the same.

image.thumb.png.f5c17b8e15a5965d6de4211076d3f95f.png

As for my game?
I totally whiffed FJ again, but managed to run 2 categories that catered to my idiosyncratic mental abilities:  WRITERS' MIDDLE NAMES and DEVOURING EATING IDIOMS.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I think that’s just one of those situations where so many people say “Groundhog’s” that it’s become an acceptable alternative.

Unlike the annoying Daylight Savings Time, Groundhogs Day (or Groundhog's Day) I don't remember hearing until tonight.  A cursory internet search reveals exponentially less "Is it Groundhog or Groundhogs ('s)?" chatter than there is for Saving vs. Savings.  I would have said this is an error nowhere close to being common enough to being, at least for J! response purposes, an accepted alternate, except that, as @shapeshifter noted, the federal government is among the relative few who made the mistake.  So I guess I can see why they made the call (Ken may have got a ruling in his ear at the time - it must not have been on the response chart as a pre-determined acceptable alternate based on his hesitant reaction - but, regardless, it seems likely judges reviewed it after the fact and decided not to step in and reverse the initial ruling).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Another mediocre game for me last night.  I did get the ts's of Andre Braugher, crocodile, and Kimberley-Clark.

No FJ for me.  I said Philadelphia but should have realized it would be a foreign city and I knew Ben Franklin was ambassador to France but that didn't really come to me until too late.

• Love 4

Newton was the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge, a position later held by people such as Charles Babbage and Stephen Hawking.  And which will be held, in the late 24th Century, by the android Data (at least if we can believe Star Trek).

Having also studied there, Newton spent virtually his entire adult life at Cambridge.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

No one knowing Andre Braugher bummed me out; he's a great actor.

My husband and I love Andre, we've watched shows we normally might not have because he's in them. And we were both completely blank. We got to "br" and then the time was up. So rest assured, one can know, and even love him, and still crap out.

As expected, my success with FJs last week is not continuing this week. Oh well, I still have one, and two more games to pull myself up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

If you don’t know Andre Braugher, you shouldn’t get a second chance on Jeopardy. Same with not knowing Company the other day. 

And, yes, I’m still angry about this entire tournament. 

I know who he is but had a brain fart & couldn't think of his surname , I answered Andre Burger and then thought I'm an idiot but saying just because you don't know one persons name you shouldn't get a second chance is a bit much. The people on Jeopardy are more book readers than popular tv watchers.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

If you don’t know Andre Braugher, you shouldn’t get a second chance on Jeopardy. Same with not knowing Company the other day. 

Not being able to think of a name from seeing a photo within 30 seconds does not equal not knowing who he is. Anyone can have a simple brain fart and not be able to pull up a name while still thinking "Oh yeah that guy! The cop from Brooklyn 99 and Homicide! Damn what's his name? Arthur... Andrew....? No... Andre wait oops time is up."

• Like 4
  • Applause 4

I have no idea who Andre Braugher is.  Not sure why that is the benchmark of whether you know anything or not.

• Like 4
  • Love 10

I just finished a rewatch of Brooklyn 99 last week, Captain Holt is my absolute favorite character on that show, and yes, I love Andre Braugher in general.

I also couldn’t place the photo immediately. It happens.

There used to be a game show where the final round was quickly identifying faces of famous people. I was always terrible at that— I would recognize most of the people, but as for naming them? Mostly stuttering and frustration. Some people just aren’t good at faces, and I’m one of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I have no idea who Andre Braugher is.

Same here. Never heard of him or his show, and the same for Company the other day. People who can afford streaming and cable and all those other fancy channels have an advantage over poor people like me who can only afford free antenna tv. Kind of harsh to suggest we don't belong on Jeopardy because of it though. We do have our good qualities!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 7

I second your post @PBnJay 100 percent. Poor antenna-tv person here too. But I kick butt in all the animal and farming categories so back at you, premium cable viewers! Plus I'm fine with everyone getting a second chance, whether they know what I do or not. I think this tournament is fun, I'm enjoying it.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I’m enjoying this tournament. I don’t really remember any of the contestants, though.

Same here. It's refreshing for me to watch and be happy with whomever wins, unlike the "regular" show where I often root for a specific person. All of the Second Chancers have been likable and I am happy for all of them. This is a fun tournament for me, sort of a "brain break."

• Like 5
  • Love 3

87% / 70% / 77%

Good first round…ran Southern Cities, Food & Drink, and Strong Words, missed one Medical Drama and Wife, and two Phobias.

Okay second round (the amount of white on my scorecard actually made me a little surprised that my score was that high)...ran Poets & Poetry and Medical Drama, missed one Historical Wear, two It Has a Name, and three Crossword Clues and Sequels.

For FJ I could only come up with Mongolia.

TSes were The Good Doctor, Harry Potter, and Paradise Lost (DD)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

It was an archive game for me, since I'll be watching football tonight, but thankfully being unable to see the photo hints in clues wasn't an issue.

This was a good game with only three TS (all of which stumped me, too).

Looking at the Coryat scores, Jessica played a great game, even better than James (22 correct and none wrong to his 20 correct and two wrong), but he wound up with the most money heading into game two of the final.  I'm rooting for Jessica, one of the few I vaguely remember from their original game.

I ran half the categories in the first round and got all but one in the others, so my game was off to a good start.

Alas, in DJ I only ran one category, about historical clothing of all things.  I got all but one each in names and medical, and missed two each in poetry and sequels.  So not bad at all, but I was terrible with the crossword clues; I'm normally very strong with vocabulary categories, but with three of them I couldn't get them from my brain to my mouth quickly. 

It's too bad I don't get a bonus for knowing all three of the countries for FJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It's too bad I don't get a bonus for knowing all three of the countries for FJ.

Same here!  Mongolia was an instaget, followed fairly quickly by Kazakhstan.  It took me a second to remember N. Korea, but I got it before time ran out.

The only missed clue I got was Paradise Lost.

• Applause 2

Last night I said "quotidian" when they wanted "colloquial". I'm giving myself that one. I only know it because of studying French, though.

Tonight I was screaming Kierkegaard and Kimberly-Clark, which is a weird combination of things to know, but at least I'm not living in a silo state.

• Applause 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Mongolia was an instaget, followed fairly quickly by Kazakhstan.  It took me a second to remember N. Korea, but I got it before time ran out.

Same process here -- Mongolia was a given, Kazakhstan came to me seconds later after picturing a map, so I had the correct response, but with extra time I wanted to come up with the third one.  At first, I wondered if there was some tiny country in between Kazakhstan and Mongolia I was forgetting, but quickly rejected that.  So I moved east and the only thing there is North Korea, so I figured it must share a tiny border with Russia at its tip, and then vaguely remembered something about a bridge.

Doing geography quizzes really does pay off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It broke my heart that Andre Braugher was a TS. 

Oh, Lordy!  He was EVERYTHING in HLOTS.  He could shake the snot out of a phrase, and with a twist of his shoulder, I’d realize that I needed to rethink whatever was said previously. When he explained to Tim about being sent to a Jesuit school “where they taught me to think”… all these years later, I still get goosebumps.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Same here. Never heard of him or his show, and the same for Company the other day. People who can afford streaming and cable and all those other fancy channels have an advantage over poor people like me who can only afford free antenna tv. Kind of harsh to suggest we don't belong on Jeopardy because of it though. We do have our good qualities!

Brooklyn 99 was on fox and the NBC for years. 

But I couldn't come up with his name even though I recognized him. 

My FJ thought process was 'Mongolia obviously and one of the stans...I'll go with khazakstan?' Good guess though I would have butchered the spelling of khazakstan probably like I just did here and who knows if they count it. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2022 at 1:02 AM, Bastet said:

Unlike the annoying Daylight Savings Time, Groundhogs Day (or Groundhog's Day) I don't remember hearing until tonight.  A cursory internet search reveals exponentially less "Is it Groundhog or Groundhogs ('s)?" chatter than there is for Saving vs. Savings.  I would have said this is an error nowhere close to being common enough to being, at least for J! response purposes, an accepted alternate, except that, as @shapeshifter noted, the federal government is among the relative few who made the mistake.  So I guess I can see why they made the call (Ken may have got a ruling in his ear at the time - it must not have been on the response chart as a pre-determined acceptable alternate based on his hesitant reaction - but, regardless, it seems likely judges reviewed it after the fact and decided not to step in and reverse the initial ruling).

Same with smokey the bear which I think was a clue recently. It's just smokey bear. No 'the'  but it's acceptable.....

I guess. 

Hey--we can't help saying Smokey the Bear cause that's what the song says (🎵Smokey the Bear, Smokey the bear, prowlin' and a growlin' and a sniffin' the air...🎵). I think wayyyy back in the day there was even a TV show & that was its theme song. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Pretty fair game for me. I almost ran A Matter of Wife and Death, missing Henry VIII's last wife (her story was the least interesting to me, I guess...). Ran Historical Wear and did fairly well in the other categories.

Did not get FJ - geography is my Achilles heel. I got Mongolia, at least.  Still, I'm only at 20% of right FJ's compared to Thursday last week. Sigh...

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hey--we can't help saying Smokey the Bear cause that's what the song says (🎵Smokey the Bear, Smokey the bear, prowlin' and a growlin' and a sniffin' the air...🎵). I think wayyyy back in the day there was even a TV show & that was its theme song. 

I had no idea there was a tv show or song. Only have seen the commercials. 

Before my time I guess ....

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I had an exhausting day, and so I’m going to blame fried brain for my lack of FJ. Because despite my geography Achilles heel, I should have gotten that.

0/4. I will go sit quietly in the corner now.

We can either sit together or have a corner each.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, South said:

Oh, Lordy!  He was EVERYTHING in HLOTS.  He could shake the snot out of a phrase, and with a twist of his shoulder, I’d realize that I needed to rethink whatever was said previously. When he explained to Tim about being sent to a Jesuit school “where they taught me to think”… all these years later, I still get goosebumps.

I still think about the show where D'Onofrio was trapped, twisted below the waist, by the subway car & Pembleton (Braugher) stayed with him, talking about everything but the fact that he was gonna die as soon as he was released.

Men of a Certain Age was on TNT and I was butt-hurt when they cancelled it. I have the boxed DVD set. Braugher in his tighty-whities was a sight to behold. LOL

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had no idea there was a tv show or song. Only have seen the commercials. 

Before my time I guess ....

Here is Eddy Arnold singing the song in 1952, in a little film presented by the U.S. Forest Service:

Here is episode 2 of the cartoon, which acknowledges the cooperation of the Forest Service and the U.S. Department of Agriculture:

Here is a Little Golden Book called "Smokey the Bear," which "has the approval of the Forest Service":

The Forest Service may claim today that his name has always been "Smokey Bear," but that's just not true.  They signed off on all sorts of stuff that called him "Smokey the Bear."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
On 10/19/2022 at 8:42 PM, PBnJay said:

James Fraser ... Jamie Fraser. Anyone else read Outlander?

Got a hugh laugh out of Ken calling Renee's hand surgery the Jeopardy Tommy John surgery.

Jamie in Outlander was all I could think of every time they introduced Navy guy

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Men of a Certain Age was on TNT and I was butt-hurt when they cancelled it. I have the boxed DVD set. Braugher in his tighty-whities was a sight to behold. LOL

I loved that show. It was definitely underappreciated at the time. Remembering it now, I’m sad all over again.

I remember seeing that Smokey the Bear cartoon. I have always known him as “the” Bear, so Smokey Bear just sounds weird to me. It would be like someone trying to convince me it’s really “Winnie Pooh”.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I was disappointed nobody got Nina Simone today.  She was really spectacular.  "The Amazing Nina Simone" documentary made me appreciate her even more.  There's never a bad time for "I Put a Spell on You."

I think this was a day or two ago but I definitely got Kimberly-Clark.  My dear friend's father spent years working for Scott Paper and, after they were acquired, retired from K-C.  They had only good things to say about the company so I usually buy their products.  I wonder what my younger self would say if he knew I'd grown up to be the kind of person who had brand loyalty for toilet tissue. ;)

I wasn't really invested in any particular contestant, but I felt for James - he really seemed to choke.  Oh well!  Sic transit gloria jeopardi.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
On 10/20/2022 at 1:51 PM, PBnJay said:

People who can afford streaming and cable and all those other fancy channels have an advantage over poor people like me who can only afford free antenna tv.

No production of Company is available to stream, as far as I know. (Would that it were! I would drop a hefty portion of my coastal elite fortune to see the original cast at home on demand.)

Andre Braugher's two most mainstream, well-known projects, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and the critically acclaimed Homicide: Life on the Street, each ran for years on Fox and NBC respectively, no streaming required. Sorry you missed them.

I was intrigued by the idea of the Second Chance, because I remember wishing for just such a thing years ago, for people like the Harriet Tubman contestant, and the guy who didn't get credit for his Sgt. Pepper's answer. It's a little disappointing that they only chose to invite people back from the most recent two seasons, and who just sort of ... didn't win.

I was also disappointed no one knew Nina Simone today, and that she was mistaken for Aretha Franklin.

• Love 2

Not a terrible end to the week: 77% / 67% / 72%

J!: Ran Team Names and Haircuts, missed one in American History and C to D, two Bible books, and three in 2Bits.

DJ: Ran Marsupials, missed one Before & After, three Directors, and two in the others. (I had to google what marsupials don't have pouches; the only one that came up was short-tailed opossum.)

FJ: The book was an instaget but it took me a little longer to remember the character's name (but I got there with plenty of time left).

TSes: Van Dyke, canard, Jennifer Grey, possum, bayou, reservoir, and Hershey (DD). (I went to college a half hour from Hershey, PA; I had to get that one.)

Got all of the DDs.

Edited by ams1001
forgot a TS
  • Applause 2

Another average game for me.  I swear, some of those clues might as well have been written in Greek.

I did get the ts's or missed DDs of canard, Van Dyke, and opossum.

My first FJ of the week! Thank you grade 9 English literature class. I did enjoy that book so I remembered a lot of it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1