Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Did anyone else channel Katharine Hepburn and say "The calla lilies are in bloom again" for that TS?

Every time I see, or hear of, calla lilies I think of Katharine Hepburn.

I also got the TSs of Wind in the Willows, punitive damages and Joe Biden’s age. (I assume that TS was a failure to note the decade.) 

I did not get FJ. Thinking of a shortened garment led me to short pants and dresses. It couldn’t be a miniskirt, and culottes never occurred to me (although the etymology fits— it’s basically French for shortened pants— so I get the guesses). I got stuck on Capri pants, even though I assume they’re named for the island and I think they became trendy in the sixties (Laura Petrie vs the censors! Although I can also picture Katharine Hepburn wearing them much earlier). But it was all I had, so I went with it. I never thought of socks, or would have thought bobby socks had anything to do with a bob style haircut. Oh, well.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If it were truly supposed to be a bow-tie, why are the ends slanted?

William Durant had astigmatism?

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Did anyone else channel Katharine Hepburn and say "The calla lilies are in bloom again" for that TS?

"Such a strange flower." When I heard the clue I suspected they put in "in bloom" on purpose.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

When I heard the clue I suspected they put in "in bloom" on purpose.

Oh yeah, definitely a hint within the clue (they do that a lot; like "call 911" in the Porsche clue), but apparently none of them understood the reference any more than they recognized the picture.

But that one I understand.  I'm still puzzling over the 70 TS.  All three failing to register the 2012 part of the clue initially, okay.  A big part of the game is paying attention, but there are always errors on that front, even shared among all three.  I get it.  But after Ilena said 80, that's when I was puzzled, that the other two just stood there rather than seeming to think "Wait, what?" and re-reading the clue to see why that was wrong.

• Like 2

NBC is apparently in dispute with DirecTV, and that's who airs Jeopardy around here, so I was reduced to watching via YouTube. There were a lot of technical glitchs in the recording and I think I missed a few clues. 

But the weirdest part was that the think music for FJ was completely different than what airs on TV here. It took me right out of the moment.

In my mind, I was trying to remember when bangs became a fashion with hair, and to figure out if there was any possible way to tie that to the clue. I concluded not, but never would have thought of socks anyway.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Add me to the list of those who chanelled Katharine Hepburn with the calla lilies!

11 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I got animus and Cornwall.

I did not get Cornwall and it is ashame I missed it, even my cat, a Cornish Rex from Cornwall looked at me like he was thinking, "C'mon hooman, you know this one!"

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Absolutely I did!

My husband got the Bobby Socks answer which struck me funny because it was from the 40's, he knows nothing about fashion from now let alone from back then and all I could think of was peplum.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

But that one I understand.  I'm still puzzling over the 70 TS.  All three failing to register the 2012 part of the clue initially, okay.  A big part of the game is paying attention, but there are always errors on that front, even shared among all three.  I get it.  But after Ilena said 80, that's when I was puzzled, that the other two just stood there rather than seeming to think "Wait, what?" and re-reading the clue to see why that was wrong.

I guess it depends on how conscious of Biden's exact age one is. Unless he has celebrated a milestone birthday in the news recently presumably a lot of people just think "old" without going any deeper. 

I was wavering because I was pretty confident that he is not yet 80 (looking it up I see he turns 80 in November) so wasn't sure whether I needed to go to something in the 65-69 range. 

ETA: Apparently I think it is 2022 this year. So Biden is already 80 now.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Date error
  • Like 3
  • Wink 2

I think of Quantum Leap, not Hepburn, when it comes to calla lilies. In the "Beth" episode, Al's wife loves calla lilies...which, in turn, was a sort of suck-up to NBC head Brandon Tartikoff, whose wife was named Lilly and a daughter named Calla.

I'm not sure 70 is a reasonable top limit for POTUS.  I think perhaps the lower limit of 35 is actually too young. Back in the days of the Founding Fathers, when a lot people died young, it made sense. Yet, John Adams was 91 and Jefferson 83 when they both died in 1826 - still actively writing letters to each other. It's a difficult problem.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Joe Biden’s age. (I assume that TS was a failure to note the decade.) 

In my case it was a failure of math and apparent refusal to believe that 2012 was more than a decade ago...

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I never thought of socks, or would have thought bobby socks had anything to do with a bob style haircut. Oh, well.

It just means they're short, ankle-length socks instead of full-length stockings.  Nothing to do with hair!  I got it at the last second - don't know if I'd have had time to write it.

I was thinking, "cropped...top?  jacket?  pants???..." Since fabric was needed for the military, shorter skirts and boxy, short jackets were fashionable in the 1940's, so that wasn't too far off base.  But "Oh, yeah - Bobby Sox!" popped into my head right at the end.

No, I wasn't alive in the 1940's - and my Mom was in college (and Dad over in Europe fighting the Nazis! They wouldn't meet for a few more years...)  So they were both a little past the "Bobby Soxer" generation.  But I've see enough movies and cartoons to get it!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just to help shed some light on this (I'm an automotive writer): It's not supposed to literally "be" a bowtie. It's just "called" a bowtie.

So I guess whether the question was right or wrong depends on how the answer was originally phrased (which I don't remember).

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 8

I got FJ immediately and was surprised none of them got it! “Fashion fad of the 1940s” means “bobbysoxers” to me because I know they were crazy about Sinatra. After coming up with it, I then worked backwards to make sure it fit the clue, “ah yes, to bob something means to cut it, that has to be correct.”

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
6 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I got FJ immediately and was surprised none of them got it! “Fashion fad of the 1940s” means “bobbysoxers” to me because I know they were crazy about Sinatra. After coming up with it, I then worked backwards to make sure it fit the clue, “ah yes, to bob something means to cut it, that has to be correct.”

'Bobtail horses' was what came to mind to confirm the 'cut short' part of the clue for me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Because they didn't know how to tie one? I never in a million years would have thought of the logo as a bowtie. I had to look it up. I guess if I look at it squinting and my head tilted, I can sort of see it.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

But I got FJ and it was an asterisk! (Wasn't super confident because I always think of them as more of a 1950s thing.)

Once the answer was given, I was "Oh right, Frank Sinatra's fans (young women that is) were called bobbysoxers (sp?). We'd just been looking up Sinatra (husband's a musician and was checking out a song), and even so it didn't occur to me.

I had no idea how box turtles got their name. Cool video.

It was a reasonably good game for me, though I tanked in the cars section (as always).

So glad to have Ken back. I don't hate Mayim, but I loved not having pauses when the answer was right, and his humor.

• Like 11
(edited)
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't believe 70 was a TS; they must not have paid attention to the 2012 part of the clue?

I ran riots, first touches, and cars and got all but one in "neg" and versions, so if not for TV I'd have kicked ass in the first round, but I missed three of those.

In DJ, I ran words within words and no caps and got all but one in nature and England.  I  missed three in books and two in movies, so pop culture was once again my weak point, but that's still plenty decent for DJ.

It took me pretty much all of the Think music, but I wound up getting FJ (although wouldn't have had time to write it down if I was playing in the game).  "Bob" finally popped into my head as a word for cutting short, and then I thought of bobby socks right away.

I ALWAYS say that when calla lilies are mentioned.  I carried callas at my wedding and my mom and I said that repeatedly.  Always in a monotone! I said snood for FJ!

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, NoReally said:

Just to help shed some light on this (I'm an automotive writer): It's not supposed to literally "be" a bowtie. It's just "called" a bowtie.

So I guess whether the question was right or wrong depends on how the answer was originally phrased (which I don't remember).

The bowtie-shaped logo of this brand first appeared on automobiles in 1914

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Would just "Squarepants" have been acceptable?

Well, it is his last name, and last names alone are usually acceptable. So I say yes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)

They've accepted simply "SpongeBob" before, even for the show title, not just the character's name.  So, yeah, "SquarePants" should be fine.

I'd never thought about SpongeBob and SquarePants being his first and last names respectively (I just know the show exists), so now I love the idea of answering "SquarePants" like one would answer any other clue with the person's last name only.  It certainly wouldn't require a BMS prompt.  (Kit SquarePants?)

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 13

Today was o.k. - just o.k. Ran 2 categories in the J round - "Happy July 4th!" and "A Biblical Burial". TSs were Radio Free Europe, terrier, let the dead bury their dead and Absalom. Did about the same in DJ. Ran "U.S. Festivals" and got 4 in "World Rivers". TSs/missed /DDs were running of the bulls, Dartmouth (DD), Scotland (really! no one even guessed a U.K. country?) and Gilbert Stuart (DD).

FJ was an instaget, although I'm not quite sure why. Brandenburg Concertos just popped into my head and I couldn't think of anything else, so...

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I had no idea on FJ.

I got the missed clues of Abaslom, toothless, Baked Alaska, terrier, whippet, Scotland, Rhone, Gilbert Stuart, todo el mundo, Dartmouth, and stratosphere.

I got the entire category of biblical burials right.

I live in the strolling of the Heifers town and had no idea it had anything to do with the running of the bulls.  Nobody is running from the cutey pie heifers.

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

60% / 40% / 51%

Terrible, terrible game. I did run Happy July 4th! and missed one in Dog Breeds, two in Ends with Double Letters, Food, Festivals, and Foreign Words & Phrases. The less said about the rest, the better.

But another instaget-asterisk FJ, so Yay, Me.

TSes were Radio Free Europe, terrier, Whippet, and entropy. And Baked Alaska (DD, but ruled incorrect later).

image.png.fc38c164894678dad6b574fca8416aa1.png

I was hoping Elliot would stick around a few games. Oh well. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 7
  • LOL 8
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I live in the strolling of the Heifers town and had no idea it had anything to do with the running of the bulls.  Nobody is running from the cutey pie heifers.

Now that's a bovine-themed event I might want to see. 

• Like 7

An okay game for me with the following ts's or missed DDs: Absalom, toothless, Radio Free Europe, terrier, Scotland, Rhone, Running of the Bulls (would love to see the Strolling of the Heifers😀), and baked Alaska.

However I had no idea for FJ and didn't get yesterday's either (said culottes just to have something to say but knew it wasn't right).

• Like 4

I am terrible at classical music, so I had no idea for FJ.  I've heard of the Brandenburg Concertos, and it's quite possible that I've heard the concertos, but had no idea that they were connected to any person other than the composer.

But I did get 14 TS!  14!  I didn't count how many there were in total, but I think there were quite a few I didn't get.  Ones I did get were toothless, Baked Alaska, littleneck, terrier, whippet, Scotland, Rhone, John Singer Sargent, todo el mundo, Ceres, Dartmouth, running of the bulls, entropy, and stratosphere.  I ran out of space on the sheet where I keep track of TS!

• Applause 6

Elliott added on extra letters twice. I only got a few TS's: terrier, whippet, Scotland, Rhone, Sargent, plus Baked Alaska & Gilbert Stuart. No FJ...drew a total blank. I missed last night's game so it was a treat to have Ken back in charge. Was this the second time in maybe a couple weeks that a clue required "Ceres" as a response? I didn't know it then and even thought the clue was familiar, still didn't know it tonight.🙄

• Like 6

I won't be home tonight, so just checked the archive.

I'm surprised no one figured out the running of the bulls.  (I'd never heard of the Strolling of the Heifers, but I like the idea!)  I'm also a bit surprised stratosphere was a TS; I guess the two barely surviving just didn't want to guess and risk losing any more money on the last clue of the game.

But I can't believe no one took a guess on the Scotland clue!  Guess on any "this U.K. country" clue since there are only four of them, but especially when all you have to do is pick one big enough to have a 120-mile river -- take the 50/50 shot!

I ran Lady A (well, giving myself credit on two of them that I'd have got them correct had I been able to see the pictures; I definitely would have recognized Amy Adams and the Arquette sisters) and food (didn't even need the picture to get littleneck clams) and got all but one in July 4th and words (it's possible if I'd been able to see the picture, I'd have tossed out a wild guess of broomball and thus run the category, but I've never heard of it, so maybe not).  I missed two in dog breeds, which used to be a terrible category for me but lately hasn't been, so I must be learning from this show.

So, if not for another damn Bible category, I'd have had a good first round, but I blew that one entirely.

In DJ, I ran festivals and rivers and got all but one in foreign phrases (I'd heard hakuna matata whenThe Lion King was everywhere, but had no idea what it meant).  I missed two each in the rest.  Well, maybe three -- I think I'd have come up with stencil had I been able to see the picture, but none of them did, so perhaps I shouldn't be giving myself credit for that one.

I had no idea for FJ. 

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get 14 TS!  14!  I didn't count how many there were in total, but I think there were quite a few I didn't get.  Ones I did get were toothless, Baked Alaska, littleneck, terrier, whippet, Scotland, Rhone, John Singer Sargent, todo el mundo, Ceres, Dartmouth, running of the bulls, entropy, and stratosphere.  I ran out of space on the sheet where I keep track of TS!

There were 7 TS in the J round and 9 TS in DJ, so 16 total. And they missed all 3 DDs.  Elliot said Baked Alaskan instead of Baked Alaska and Chuck missed both Dartmouth and Gilbert Stuart.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I ran festivals and rivers and got all but one in foreign phrases (I'd heard hakuna matata whenThe Lion King was everywhere, but had no idea what it meant). 

Hakuna Matata!

What a wonderful phrase

Hakuna Matata!

Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries 🎶

For the rest of your days 🎶

It's our problem-free philosophy 🎶

Hakuna Matata! 🎶

Now I've got that song stuck in my head - at least it's not the worst earworm.

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Now that's a bovine-themed event I might want to see. 

Unfortunately you missed it.  there hasn't been one since Covid and they officially disbanded it this year.

• Sad 14

I got the FJ answer pretty easily. And I even used the correct plural, Concerti, rather than the barbarous "Concertos." But that's because I'm a pompous blowhard! 😀

• Applause 5
  • LOL 13
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't think my husband was ever going to stop laughing after "Baked Alaskan"

Reminded me of "The Cremation of Sam McGee."

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

WTH happened to Elliot?  He scorched everyone on Monday and today, zip nada zilch bupkis.  I somehow didn’t see FJ! I think I was checking Wimbledon.

• Like 8

I was at a barbecue so went by the archive to play. I got little neck clams, baked Alaska, terrier, Whippet, stratosphere, Scotland, Rhône, todo el mundo, and believe I would have gotten stencil had I seen the picture. I was way off in FJ. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got little neck clams,

I feel like a moron, but as much as I gave that any thought, I always thought they were called that because the clams had little necks.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm surprised no one figured out the running of the bulls.  (I'd never heard of the Strolling of the Heifers, but I like the idea!)

I've never heard of the Strolling of the Heifers, but I thought of the opposites and got it. I think it was clever name to give the, sadly, now defunct event.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Isaac Asimov wrote an essay on the large asteroid/dwarf planet Ceres and how it can be considered a world. Of course, he titled the essay "The World Ceres."  I miss him.

We have a book of Asimov's jokes (a very old book). We have a couple of joke punchlines we use all the time as in jokes between us.

I did well, but didn't run anything. I got the Absalom, Baked Alaska, terrier, whippet, Scotland, Running of the Bulls, Radio Free Europe, and stratosphere triple stumpers (though not the FJ one). I got Absalom only because I had to read Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom in college and learned of the King David connection there.

The whippet clue was one of my favorites. As always, I think of @saber5055 when a dog category came up. I'm sure she ran the category. I got everything but the pekingese - I just couldn't see the dog inside all that fluff!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

WTH happened to Elliot?  He scorched everyone on Monday and today, zip nada zilch bupkis.

I thought the same thing, but he probably got out played by the buzzer skills of the new champ whose name I can't remember now.  She was fast with the buzzer, and with her answers. Maybe the categories weren't his skill set either.  I thought he would last at least 2 or 3 games. 

Speaking of speed, I have noticed the big difference in Ken's hosting and Mayim's as far as the host's response to the contestant's answer.  Ken seems to be responding even more rapidly this week, and not giving a nano-second to them changing their answer when they realize they have made a mistake.  He knows his subject matters, and it shows as he moves the play along rapidly.    

• Like 8

FOX 45 decided to run an old episode on Friday so that was an archive game for me.  I think I would've done well but who knows.  I did get FJ right away, thanks to having watched international soccer matches since the 98 World Cup.  The oldest national anthem still in use (words AND music) is the Wilhelmus, the Dutch national anthem, which dates back to the 16th century.  Japan's national anthem has older words, obviously, but the music to which the poem was set is of much more recent origin.

I can't even remember Monday's game.  I think I did okay.  Upon looking, I can say I did not get FJ.  I always thought of bobby soxers of more of a 50s thing.

Yesterday's game was a mediocre one for me.  Only ran U.S. Festivals.  Got all but 1 clue in July 4th, Lady "A", Dog Breeds, Biblical Burials, World Rivers (misunderstood the first revealed clue and said the Nile instead of the Euphrates, oops) and Foreign Words.

I did, however, get 12 stumpers/missed DDS: Radio Free Europe (thanks REM!), baked Alaska, terrier, whippet, Absalom, running of the bulls, Dartmouth, stratosphere (a lucky guess), Scotland, the Rhone, Gilbert Stuart and John Singer Sargent.

FJ was pretty much an instaget.  The date and Prussia told me J.S. Bach and the Brandenburg Concertos leapt to mind right away.  Admittedly, I was thinking that the younger brother was something like the Duke of Brandenburg, but Margrave was close enough.

I have to say I wasn't liking Kate at all until I heard her interview story about feeding penguins.  After that I was rooting for her.  Funny how hearing about penguins being picky eaters can do that.

On 7/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, chessiegal said:

Odd airing last night on Fox45 out of Baltimore at 7 pm, the airing we usually watch. They aired an old episode with Ken as host. I record ABC DC affiliate airing at 7:30 pm. They aired the new episode. Just finished watching it. I'm surprised they cleared the board with so many TSs. 

Unfortunately Directv only lets me watch the Baltimore affiliates so no new game for me.  At least I didn't have to watch Mayim, I guess.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:32 PM, Bastet said:

In DJ, I ran words within words and no caps and got all but one in nature and England. 

I ran Counties Of England.  I wavered between the Isle of Wight and the Isle of Man for the $2000 clue but chose correctly.  And I owe getting Saxons right to having recently watched The Last Kingdom.  East Saxony/Essex isn't mentioned but Wessex is so I extrapolated from there.

• Like 4
On 7/4/2023 at 6:26 AM, Browncoat said:

Add me to the list of those who chanelled Katharine Hepburn with the calla lilies!

I got calla lilies because my best friend loves them.  I have to confess to not understanding the Katherine Hepburn reference, though.

22 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

Would just "Squarepants" have been acceptable?

It could've been Kit Squarepants, after all.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1