Type keyword(s) to search

Don't Worry Darling (2022)

• Start Topic

Pretty intriguing trailer:

Basically the movie follows Harry Styles and Florence Pugh as residents of a 1950's company town in the middle of the dessert. Soon enough, Florence's character realizes that there's something wrong with the supposed utopia they live in.

My guess? The twist will be that they don't actually live in the 1950's- they're really in either modern day or a destroyed Future Earth and the company town is a cult dedicated to destroying what's left of humanity so that their ideals reign supreme.

I'm also intrigued that there doesn't seem to be any children at all here. Having kids was the cornerstone of the 1950's All-American dream. Maybe they're all just androids?

Anything feels possible with this.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I like Florence. She’s quite talented. Everything I’ve seen her in, I enjoyed HER even if the movie creeped me out (Lady MacBeth) , disappointed me (Little Women),  bored me (Midsommar) or was just fun (Black Widow).

• Love 3

That video confuses the hell out of me. Like, why did she have to 1) record what she could have just called him on the phone about 2) while driving and 3) right that second so she didn't even take shower yet? Like, WTF? She didn't sound like it was urgent. Is that just what people do now? They don't just talk on the phone anymore but do everything on video? If so, let this be a lesson, it's far harder to claim it's not you when you're on video. If it's just a voice you can try to convince people it was someone pretending to be you. 

Also, as someone who adores Florence Pugh, I do NOT like the way she said Miss Flo and makes it sound like "Miss Flo" needs a wake up call, to what? I don't know what all happened on set, but that tone told me all I needed to know about Miss Liv. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Also, as someone who adores Florence Pugh, I do NOT like the way she said Miss Flo and makes it sound like "Miss Flo" needs a wake up call, to what? I don't know what all happened on set, but that tone told me all I needed to know about Miss Liv. 

Same. After seeing that video it makes perfect sense that Florence isn’t doing any promotion for the movie. The fact the WB is letting her skip everything but the premiere makes me wonder just how bad it really was and how explosive it would be if she spoke out. If that was Olivia’s attitude very early on and can’t imagine she was professional when she start dating her replacement lead actor. 

On 8/27/2022 at 5:13 PM, Dani said:

Same. After seeing that video it makes perfect sense that Florence isn’t doing any promotion for the movie. The fact the WB is letting her skip everything but the premiere makes me wonder just how bad it really was and how explosive it would be if she spoke out. If that was Olivia’s attitude very early on and can’t imagine she was professional when she start dating her replacement lead actor. 

I'm not sure where to put this, but there was a flap over Pugh possibly getting a lot less money than Styles to be in the movie, even though he's got no acting career to speak of and she was at least nominated for an Oscar. Both Styles and Wilde denied that, but Wilde also denied that what Pugh said about the film's sex scenes was true. Re the film's marketing, Florence said in an interview with Harper's Bazaar:

“When it’s reduced to your sex scenes, or to watch the most famous man in the world go down on someone, it’s not why we do it,” she told the publication. “It’s not why I’m in this industry.”

As someone who is looking forward to this movie, I just hope the drama in front of the camera is as good as the drama behind it seems to be. Pugh is doing incredibly well for herself right now and I want to see that continue. I think there's a piece in there about her not being entirely ready for the laser focus of the press, but Wilde seems to be the one instigating stuff. It's kind of confusing.

• Love 8

Laughs.  How to destroy your career in five easy steps by Olivia Wilde.  I watched some of the press Styles did for this movie and he comes across as not very bright to put it kindly.  I watched that video and it sure looks like Styles spits on Chris Pine.  Why??? A joke? If true that's just disgusting.  Every time I hear about Harry Styles now what will pop into my head is "spitting man!"

Chris Pine who is a classy guy and a professional doesn't deserve to be involved in this debacle. Florence Pugh is going to be just fine, she'll brush that movie right off.  Actually, the reviewers seem to have nothing bad to say about Pugh's and Pine's performances. But Styles seems to be awful in it.

Some day they are going to make a lifetime drama about this movie production.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 7

Alright.  Lots to digest here.  First and foremost, it's not a bad movie and my impression doesn't align with the critics at all.  Now, it's not a great movie, but after I found Booksmart to be pretty weak my expectations weren't the highest.  I think Wilde does do some interesting things here and I was engaged throughout the entire film so credit where it's due.  Even with an overtly feminist/toxic masculinity message I didn't get a concussion from any pianos dropping from the sky.  That said, this movie is like 98% Florence Pugh and if you don't have someone of her caliber as the centerpiece it's probably a hot mess.  I hope her back is okay from carrying the darn thing. Styles in particular benefits from this because she just naturally pulls focus from him and you don't even notice him or care.  She's great in all aspects but her face acting in particular is out of this world.

Now, my biggest gripe is what is Olivia smoking thinking anything about the sex between Alice and Jack is progressive?  Don’t get me wrong, in a vacuum there is nothing wrong with it, it's actually quite tame, and it does paint a picture for us. But when you recontextualize it knowing the twist?  Holy shit.  Olivia knows how this movie ends, right?  I'm guessing she's read that far in the script.  Maybe?

Like I said, I took away more that I liked here than I didn't, but Ms. Wilde's real world takes are seriously misguided, IMO.  It's a shame because I don't think the movie is bad but I feel like she can't get out of her own way, at numerous turns, which has impacted people's perceptions.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So…it was basically The Matrix as told by The Stepford Wives.

My initial take was it's a better version of The Village.  (which is a very low bar for me.  The bar is on the floor.  Words cannot do justice to how much I hated The Village.  That and La La Land were the closest I've ever come to walking out of a movie.)

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

What was the twist? Can you spoiler tag it? I love Florence Pugh, but not enough to pay these obnoxiously high ticket prices.

Spoiler

The men all basically trapped their wives in a virtual reality of 50s life a la The Matrix.

• Thanks 1

I'm so torn. I adore Florence Pugh but I guessed that twist just from watching the trailer and it doesn't interest me at all. Guess I'll wait until it comes on some streamer I have access to. I'm glad to hear that Florence is good in it though, as I don't want the bad press around this to hurt her career at all. 

• Love 5

I feel like the dresses and production design were really nice to look at.  If this was just a domestic period drama you might criticize it for being a little bit too on the nose and idyllic, but again, when you know the twist, it makes sense.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Florence is excellent in the movie.  I agree with the reviewer; she carries it with her performance.  Harry was fine; not exciting, but fine.  In a weird way, that fit the role well.  If he was too charismatic, it wouldn't make sense that they were part of this.  

The plot was just okay.  There were so many things that could and should have been fleshed out to make the story and characters more complete. It is very visually appealing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 9/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, kiddo82 said:

I feel like the dresses and production design were really nice to look at.  If this was just a domestic period drama you might criticize it for being a little bit too on the nose and idyllic, but again, when you know the twist, it makes sense.  

Agree with this. I loved Florence's wardrobe. I would actually wear some of the dresses that she wore. I loved the white one she wore at the end when she escaped. I also liked the black one she wore when she was on the trolley and saw the plane go down. I also loved her apron. When they panned out to the neighborhood and the mountains I thought "that kinda looks like Palm Springs" and sure enough, they did film parts in Palm Springs. 

On 9/29/2022 at 3:41 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Florence is excellent in the movie.  I agree with the reviewer; she carries it with her performance.  Harry was fine; not exciting, but fine.  In a weird way, that fit the role well.  If he was too charismatic, it wouldn't make sense that they were part of this.  

The plot was just okay.  There were so many things that could and should have been fleshed out to make the story and characters more complete. It is very visually appealing. 

Agree with this as well. Her performance is the best thing about this movie. I was confused by Harry's accent at first. I kept thinking that he was trying American but the British kept slipping through. Then later you found out Jack wanted to be British. 

There were a few things that I kept thinking after the twist reveal. Is Peg just always pregnant? Or is she pregnant in the real world so she's pregnant in the Victory world too? And if that's the case, will her husband unplug her to give birth?

So the men leave for "work" during the day, meaning they all go back to the real world to work I'm assuming regular jobs. Jack did mention to Alice that he has to work hard to pay for all that. So Jack and the other husbands are living seemingly normal lives but is nobody looking for the wives? Alice was a Doctor. Nobody is worried that she just stopped showing up for work? This goes for all the wives. Did the husbands fake their deaths so they could be stuck in Victory forever? And moreover, were they actually married to these women? I don't think Jack and Alice were married and their real life relationship seemed strained. I get the sense that Bunny/Dean and Shelley/Frank were the only married ones. Bunny/Dean because in the real world they lost their kids and in Victory their kids are alive. It could be that they decided to do this together. This whole thing started with Frank so it's possible Shelley was the first test subject. Speaking of Shelley, she stabbed Frank at the end and said "my turn." What does that mean? She's in charge now? Of what exactly? Is she going to try and keep all the women there? When Alice was standing in the driveway right before she took off, it looked like the women were remembering/realizing what has happening. Both Violet and Peg were pushing off their husbands. So what's to stop the rest of them from trying to escape?

I've probably thought about this too much. Ultimately I didn't think it was a bad movie, but I feel like it raised more questions for me with the reveal. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

I've probably thought about this too much. Ultimately I didn't think it was a bad movie, but I feel like it raised more questions for me with the reveal. 

That is about it for me.  I feel like it was 80% of an idea, but they missed the what happens later or more detail on why people choose to participate for the women that did.  Did the woman who killed herself agree to be part of this but it was for her child or did she figure it out then they took her child?  what heck was the "My turn" statement supposed to mean?   I do think the pregnant woman was eternally pregnant.  Wouldn't that trigger something for the other women when she never gave birth?  I feel like I too have thought too much about this.  I also think I may have thought more about this than the writers did. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6

We desperately need a Heart of Darkness style documentary about this movies batshit insane production and the roller coaster of a press tour that followed, it sounds way more interesting than the actual movie. 

The movie itself was honestly pretty dull, I guessed the twist just by watching the trailer, it was painfully obvious this was some sort of modern Stepford Wives situation from the start. Chris Pine and Florence Pugh were great and the style and clothes were gorgeous, but that was probably the best thing this movie had going for it. I kept hoping for a more interesting twist but nope, its exactly what you think it is and the message is just what you know its going to be. It seemed more like an episode of the Twilight Zone stretched out for a whole movie, like the writers had a message they wanted to send and a basic idea but they didn't really flesh it out much beyond those.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I guessed the twist just by watching the trailer,

Same here.  I'm not interested in the film, but having seen the trailer and later read references to "the twist" I came here to see if it was actually something different.

• Love 1

My only curiosity is if in the movie it is presented as a twist, or are we meant to know what was going on all along? Because I guessed the "twist" from the preview so if it was meant to surprise me it would have failed. I'm just wondering if it was played up as if it was a reveal like Norman being Mother or if it was more that we the audience knew what was going on but are waiting for the characters to figure it out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, I guess all of the backstage drama was enough to finally compel me to see this.  To be fair though, the cast alone would have been enough to make me see it eventually.

All in all, it went the way I figured it would.  Not as awful as it could have been or made to believe, but it didn't live up to what it could have been.  Even if I saw the twist coming a mile away, they could have found some way to make it unique, but it just went the way I figured it would.  Right down to Harry Styles in "real life" being some kind of loser who gets suckered into Chris Pine's cult and Gemma Chan actually being in on it as well (and where they actually setting up some kind of sequel here with that twist?)  Agree that it basically felt like a Twilight Zone episode that stretched out to two hours: complete with a heavy-handed message.  Only thing missing was to have someone famous person pop up as the narrator and deliver it to us on a silver platter.

As I figured, Florence Pugh was the best part by a mile, followed closely by Chris Pine.  The scene with those two at the dinner table had an energy to it that everything else was lacking.  Gemma Chan was a distant third, although in fairness, the distance is because she just didn't have enough screen time to have a shot at competing with the other two.  Still, she shined in one or two moments.  Everyone else was decent enough, although knowing about all the rumors between Pugh and Olivia Wilde, I thought it was interesting that Wilde's best acting moment was the fight scene between them in the bathroom.  Wonder if any real life animosity kind of helped with that scene.  As for Harry Styles, he wasn't the worst I've ever seen, but you can tell he was out of his league whenever he had to emote or yell.

It's too bad since I really loved Booksmart and even here there was a few directorial stuff I liked (although Olivia did go overboard with the spinning camera gag.)  But even if it wasn't a financial bomb, I have to imagine this did Olivia more harm than good.  If she gets a third shot at this whole directing thing, hopefully she can find a better script and especially avoid behind the scenes drama for next time. 

• Like 3
On 10/6/2022 at 11:25 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

feel like it was 80% of an idea, but they missed the what happens later or more detail on why people choose to participate for the women that did.  Did the woman who killed herself agree to be part of this but it was for her child or did she figure it out then they took her child?  what heck was the "My turn" statement supposed to mean?   I do think the pregnant woman was eternally pregnant.  Wouldn't that trigger something for the other women when she never gave birth?  I feel like I too have thought too much about this.  I also think I may have thought more about this than the writers did. 

I don't get it either. So she's supposed to take over? Was she never a real person but she became real a la Free Guy? I was so confused by it. I also briefly wondered if Gemma Chan was playing a lesbian given that rather intimate touch she gave Florence and the way the camera lingered over it, but then that never came up. I also briefly wondered if Gemma might be a man in real life who's using the opportunity to cosplay as a woman in the simulation. 

I did think the pregnant woman was always pregnant but they never realize she doesn't give birth because it's always 1957 and every day is the same as another day. They did suggest by the length of Harry's hair in real life that they've been in that simulation for close to a year if not a full year.

• Love 3

So many questions.....

I wanna know why if the men died in Victory they died in the real world, but Bunny told Alice they were going to kill her in the real world (so they couldn't just kill her in Victory). Why did it work differently for the men than the women?  

I wish we saw more of the real world and less of Victory. What were these men doing to pay for Victory? Were the men chosen to be participants targeted by Frank.....I noticed that Jack's psychiatric test results were "fair". Also, was he in the military? He had trouble with employment, so was he a disgruntled vet? Did Frank purposely seek out men who had trauma and difficulty in normal society. 

What was the deal with the red plane? Was it a glitch in the programming. Margery had a red plane she clutched and then Alice saw the red plane go down, but how did it tie into things? 

This also had a bit of an involuntary Ready, Player One vibe to it. 

I've never been a fan of singers turned actors just on the virtue of their celebrity. Harry Styles is a very talented performer, and he is nice to look at but he is not a great actor and it's annoying that he keeps being propped up as though he is. 

• Like 1
On 9/25/2022 at 9:01 AM, Spartan Girl said:

So…it was basically The Matrix as told by The Stepford Wives.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:48 PM, kiddo82 said:

On 10/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

We desperately need a Heart of Darkness style documentary about this movies batshit insane production and the roller coaster of a press tour that followed, it sounds way more interesting than the actual movie. 

The movie itself was honestly pretty dull, I guessed the twist just by watching the trailer, it was painfully obvious this was some sort of modern Stepford Wives situation from the start. Chris Pine and Florence Pugh were great and the style and clothes were gorgeous, but that was probably the best thing this movie had going for it. I kept hoping for a more interesting twist but nope, its exactly what you think it is and the message is just what you know its going to be. It seemed more like an episode of the Twilight Zone stretched out for a whole movie, like the writers had a message they wanted to send and a basic idea but they didn't really flesh it out much beyond those.  

The movie was a visual feast for the eyes and nothing more. Pugh's talents are wasted in this movie.

I mean the concept of perfect beautiful suburbia hiding something sinister was already stale in the '90s.

The Stepford Wives concept is also quite stale.

Wilde seems to throw every cliché of the past 50 years in this movie and thinks she created a masterpiece. There is nothing "new" here and very little to discuss beyond the beautiful clothes and scenery.

Harry Styles could easily have been replaced with a mannequin. 

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I mean the concept of perfect beautiful suburbia hiding something sinister was already stale in the '90s.

The Stepford Wives concept is also quite stale.

Get Out was a good twist on it because the antagonists were performative liberals and the protagonist was a black male, but yeah. 

I believe she was trying to make a comment on the rise of incels brought on by the internet, but they really should have shown us more of the outside.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Get Out was a good twist on it because the antagonists were performative liberals and the protagonist was a black male, but yeah. 

I believe she was trying to make a comment on the rise of incels brought on by the internet, but they really should have shown us more of the outside.

Yeah, Get Out had enough for it to feel fresh and it became iconic.

This is just a rehashing of tired tropes that eventually say nothing.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, qtpye said:

She talks about an alternative script.

This is a good breakdown.  Especially how Olivia Wilde was going on and on in interviews about how she focused on making sure the sex scenes were all about female pleasure because usually sex scenes in movies are all about the men.. BUT HELLO

Spoiler

none of the sex scenes in this movie are consensual!  It’s not about female empowerment when the woman is forced to be an AI wife!  

And they really tried to “nice guy” Jack because god forbid Harry Styles play a bad man and ruin his nice guy rep.  I mean, is he an actor or not?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

The visuals aspects were good but so much didn’t make sense. Are we supposed to think these guys would really want to spend all of their free time drinking highballs and listening to 50’s music? They never want to travel, hit the gym, go to the beach or watch a football game? And it makes no sense that men who die in the virtual world die in the real world but women don’t. And how do the women eat? Go to the bathroom? Too many questions.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Finally watched this, my husband really loved it, funnily enough . It thought it was mostly there, like someone upthread said, 80% of a movie. It looked great, Florence was wonderful, the music was good, but I think the script needed tinkering, and I usually hate when there are dozens of writers on one movie. It needed to make more sense, some ideas needed to be fleshed out, like the red plane. And of course, we have to discuss Harry. I was exhausted from all my TikTok videos about him, and more than one person said they saw this in the theater and his female fans were giggling at every one of his scenes. Frankly, he was a non entity. I don’t know if he was trying to tone down a big personality, but I barely noticed him in scenes where he wasn’t yelling at Alice. Everyone else had a light behind their eyes, just not him. Weird coming from one of the biggest pop stars today.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I actually kinda liked this! I just had to shut off all the questions that came up like “Did real world Alice get fired? “ or “How are the wives not missing persons in the real world?”

If Jack was allowed to be British, why wasn’t Alice also? Is it because Florence can do an impeccable American accent and Harry can’t? It’s hard to pick my favorite Alice dress. Heck I even liked her robes! 

Casting Harry Styles was such a mistake. An absolute charisma void. That Big Love kid should have played Jack. I’m pretty sure he can dance better than Pinocchio having a seizure…

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Grammaeryn said:

If Jack was allowed to be British, why wasn’t Alice also? Is it because Florence can do an impeccable American accent and Harry can’t? It’s hard to pick my favorite Alice dress. Heck I even liked her robes! 

The aesthetic of the movie is stunning.

• Like 2
On 11/15/2022 at 4:49 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Too many unanswered questions..

Yes, the ending came far too abruptly after all that build up.

On 11/13/2022 at 7:45 PM, heatherchandler said:

This is a good breakdown.  Especially how Olivia Wilde was going on and on in interviews about how she focused on making sure the sex scenes were all about female pleasure because usually sex scenes in movies are all about the men.. BUT HELLO

Hide contents

none of the sex scenes in this movie are consensual!  It’s not about female empowerment when the woman is forced to be an AI wife!  

And they really tried to “nice guy” Jack because god forbid Harry Styles play a bad man and ruin his nice guy rep.  I mean, is he an actor or not?

Yes, that’s what turned me off too. If she was brainwashed into initiate sex every time he got home, then it was rape. Those were rape scenes. And no amount of glossing over can ever make that acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Grammaeryn said:

If Jack was allowed to be British, why wasn’t Alice also? Is it because Florence can do an impeccable American accent and Harry can’t? 

It was laughable, that he couldn’t be expected to sustain a believable American accent for an entire movie. 

• Love 1

I’m sure if the wife dies in the sim they die in real life too, like Margaret.  

there was a scene on Florence getting dragged in real life, you see her legs.  I think the implication is that Harry knocked her out somehow and took her to a new apartment where the VR sim was set up.  He then moves from their old apartment into the new one.  Yep, Florence doesn’t show up to work , but they just fire her when they can’t contact her.  She’s not “missing” because Harry never reports it.  He probably works some low end job that barely pays the bills (and the upkeep for the sim and Florence), which is why he’s eating canned tuna.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/18/2022 at 9:25 PM, Hanahope said:

Yep, Florence doesn’t show up to work , but they just fire her when they can’t contact her.  She’s not “missing” because Harry never reports it.  

I've seen enough true crime docs to realize that if the family of a missing person doesn't try to raise any stink about it, the media doesn't care.  It's possible Alice didn't have any close family relatives, or was estranged from them.

I did get the feeling that some of these women didn't know the men at all or have an existing romantic relationship with them if they did know them. I remember getting that vibe from Douglas Smith and his wife.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I did get the feeling that some of these women didn't know the men at all or have an existing romantic relationship with them if they did know them. I remember getting that vibe from Douglas Smith and his wife.

yeah, there was definitely that implication, when there was narration about Jack's application being approved, about his "selected wife" and "pre-existing relationship".  perhaps those that don't have a pre-existing relationship needed extra meds/sim effects to keep the women in line.

it is an interesting premise, but there were a lot of holes.  certainly with an immersive VR tech like this, it seems way too 'limiting' to only use if for a few people.  shouldn't a lot more people know about this kindof tech?  how does only a cult of misogynistic incels get access to it?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 10/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

what heck was the "My turn" statement supposed to mean? 

Shelley had just heard her husband talking with the guys trying to catch Alice.  She heard them saying that Jack was dead, and if Alice gets to the portal, she's out.  She's free.  So I think Shelley was saying it's "my turn" to be free (and to kill my husband), like Alice.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Shelley had just heard her husband talking with the guys trying to catch Alice.  She heard them saying that Jack was dead, and if Alice gets to the portal, she's out.  She's free.  So I think Shelley was saying it's "my turn" to be free (and to kill my husband), like Alice.

I LOVE this interpretation, and I prefer to go with this instead of my own. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Boy, this was truly dreadful.   Nobody knows how to make a movie anymore.

I don't get the Florence Pugh hype.   Is modern cinema so starved of talent that mediocre performances receive accolades as long as there's a pretty face attached?  Olivia Wilde ran circles around Florence Pugh (not that Olivia will ever win an Oscar).

The vintage cars were the high point.