Type keyword(s) to search

Don't Worry Darling (2022)

• Start Topic

I thought this was a good movie. Florence was amazing! Harry did fine.  I didn't figure out the twist beforehand, I was surprised it was a simulation. Which made it extra creepy and left me with lots of questions.  Visually beautiful set.   If a person dies in the sim, why also in real life?

• Like 1

The movie looks great, Florence Pugh is great -- really the acting across the board was quite good, even Harry Styles in his first big movie performance.  

Something about the story does not quite hang together for me, though.  Olivia Wilde's character, by the end, is revealed to have a lot of complex and conflicting motivations going on ... she should be one of the most fascinating characters in the film.  Wilde did great in her last big scene but it ended up feeling rushed for me.  The twist at the end with 

Spoiler

Chris Pine's wife ... does she kill him because she wants out of the simulation or is she wanting to continue the simulation but somehow be in charge of it?  Why throw that in when we spend no time getting to know her beforehand and there's no time to play it out?  Ends up feeling like an easy way to help Alice escape.

Also it's kind of unsettling that we're left with the impression Alice might have been fine with living like this forever if things hadn't started to become suspicious.  We don't see her become bored with her routine, and isn't the whole point that 

Spoiler

this is not the life she would have chosen for herself?  In the real world she sought out and pursued a competitive, intellectually rigorous career.  So shouldn't she have gotten bored in the simulation, even before it started glitching and she realized something sinister was happening?  Bunny enjoys this life, and that's fine, but Alice naturally would not.  The movie spends a lot of time portraying her as fine with cooking and cleaning all day and then having great sex when her husband comes home at night ... and about two minutes watching Alice remember her real life and being mad her career was taken away.  And then she pauses at the end to mourn the simulation husband, who she now knows was never real and was really just her insecure monster of a boyfriend who drugged her into a coma and forced her into a simulation.  Which ... is a very weird choice given the message of the movie.  

At the end of the day, I'm not sure the movie had anything new to say or said it well.  

• Like 2