Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E14: The Final Plate

• Start Topic

Aspiring chefs compete for their shot at culinary stardom.

Original air date: June 2, 2022

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FYI, we will have live chat for the finale hereOnce the episode has finished, bring the conversation back here.

Congratulations Buddha!  First time I ever picked the winner from episode 1.  Yay me! 😁

And am I crazy or was Demarr standing off to the side with the sous chefs at the end?

• Love 7
1 minute ago, jalady said:

And am I crazy or was Demarr standing off to the side with the sous chefs at the end?

I wasn't looking, but I'm sure he was since he was in Tucson; it makes sense they'd invite Damarr to attend the big reveal.

• Love 3

Buddha was the best chef who has ever been on the show since Stephanie Izard or Michael Voltaggio.  He is fantastic in his culinary precision and creative flavor combinations.  I predict he will open a fine dining establishment in NYC and people will flock to it.  I certainly would!

• Love 22
(edited)

I'm definitely making a trip to Detroit to experience Sarah's food 

I had a hard enough time getting into Marrow before she was finalist on Top Chef. I feel like Evelyn was more consistent but it's hard to hate on Buddha winning, he can dazzle like Voltaggio and make humble/tasty too. I did eat her food at Republic and it was bangin and really thoughtful.

I actually had a pretty good feeling that she would be in the finale because Marrow stayed in very limited reserved pre fixe only "covid" operating mode even after the rest of the city's restaurants, were reverting to form, made me think she wasn't around to make a decision on that.

Edited by blixie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I nearly had a stroke when they put them on horses to “ride”.  I thought how the heck are they going to walk, let alone cook tomorrow after horseback riding when they’re not used to it.  I know I was bow legged for a week the first time I rode.  I was so relieved it was just a little walk to the table.

I’m happy for Buddha.  He deserved the win although Evelyn was very, very close.  I’d love to eat either of their food.  I suspect Buddha will be quickly snatched up by a mentor.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I loved the concept of Sarah’s final meal, but felt like she needed to fine tune if over a few more months. Evelyn’s goat mole curry look unappetizing, but I like the idea of it. Buddha’s meal seemed like it had been perfected after a thousand preparations. Landslide win. 

• Like 3
  • Love 10
(edited)

It went how I thought it would. Can’t complain with the outcome. Buddha is thoughtful and innovative, and Evelyn made more missteps. A great end to a great and enjoyable season. I’m sad it’s over.

Out of all the dishes, the one I would most want to eat is Sarah’s acorn cake. I’m just really curious what acorn tastes like. It was super intriguing.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 1
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, Souris said:

Out of all the dishes, the one I would most want to eat is Sarah’s acorn cake. I’m just really curious what acorn tastes like. It was super intriguing.

If you ever try Jamon Iberico de Bellota, which is made from pigs fed exclusively acorns, you get the gist of it.  It’s wonderful.  The first time I tried it, my reaction was “this is what acorns must taste like”.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I finally realized why I am more annoyed by Sarah than is warranted - she sounds like the awful cheating twin Claire from Project Runway.  I looked them up, and they're both from Michigan.  Does everyone from Michigan talk the same way?  (I'd still dislike Sarah if she didn't sound snooty, entitled, and sanctimonious, but it doesn't help.)

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, IdEatThat said:

If you ever try Jamon Iberico de Bellota, which is made from pigs fed exclusively acorns, you get the gist of it.  It’s wonderful.  The first time I tried it, my reaction was “this is what acorns must taste like”.

Given that I’m a pescatarian, I’m more likely to eat actual acorns! But that is a very interesting consequence of their diet. 
For some reason my mind has decided they taste like chestnuts. But since I haven’t tasted chestnuts, either, that doesn’t really mean anything to me! 😂

• LOL 8
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Souris said:

Given that I’m a pescatarian, I’m more likely to eat actual acorns! But that is a very interesting consequence of their diet. 
For some reason my mind has decided they taste like chestnuts. But since I haven’t tasted chestnuts, either, that doesn’t really mean anything to me! 😂

I've never had acorns, but my parents talk about making ersatz coffee with them during The War (WWII).  I have had chestnuts and love them roasted but hated marron glace the one time I tasted it.  (Anyone know how to do an accent aigu in Microsoft?  I tried a couple of suggestions from Google, but when one attempt erased my post, I stopped trying.)

Edited by Leeds
To get rid of phantom screen shot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Tess23 said:

I personally think this was a one man race from the first episode, ala Paul Qui from season 9 Texas. It wasn’t even close. The judges actually had a hard time toning down their raves for Buddha in the finale and I couldn’t be happier for him. 

Let's hope Buddha's future is free of Paul Qui-type scandal.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

This makes up for my heartbreak when Nick was cut!  I'm crying!  Wow!  I really yelled when Buddha won!

Here are my notes from when I watched.  At first I thought Buddha was ahead, then Sarah --- but then Evelyn won the dessert round.  I still love Evelyn.  I know people think it's not fair that she is from Houston and cooks Mexican food - but - I can't hold where she is from/raised against her.  She also cooks Asian food and correct me if I am wrong but I don't think she's Asian.  So I don't think she's complacent.

Padma is squarely in Buddha's corner.  She defends him.  Tom goes after him.  Tom is obviously pulling for Sarah.  I was so glad to hear the other judges praise Evelyn because that right there is her disadvantage - for all the crowing about her unfair advantage, she didn't have one of Padma or Tom pulling for her and it was super obvious.  Also, Evelyn just had a great personality throughout the show.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I feel like I am now able to articulate just what it is about Sarah that grinds some of our gears.  She is just so self-aware.  It feels like every moment is for the camera.  Her screaming at the dessert round.  Her turning a 180 degree angle every single time she won a round.  Her little jokes.  Always the same jokes ("Let's never let go.")  Her little announcements.  It all feels so practiced and it's hard to believe someone acts like this without a camera around.

I have nothing against her, and she kind of grew on me in the end.  Her food looked great.  Her dessert especially, I was really into.

I'm just really happy.  What a great season and what a way to get rid of the taste of last year's.

20 minutes ago, Tess23 said:

I personally think this was a one man race from the first episode, ala Paul Qui from season 9 Texas. It wasn’t even close. The judges actually had a hard time toning down their raves for Buddha in the finale and I couldn’t be happier for him. 

Tom was kind of nasty.  He said "He's showing off" in a particularly disdainful way and Padma said "Why shouldn't he?  It's the finale."

• Applause 1
  • Love 19
18 minutes ago, Leeds said:

(Anyone know how to do an accent aigu in Microsoft?  I tried a couple of suggestions from Google, but when one attempt erased my post, I stopped trying.)

Hold the control key down and type an apostrophe; release the control key and then type the letter you’re trying to put the accent on.  My name is Renée…I know how to do an accent mark on both a PC and a MAC ;)

• Useful 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Souris said:

I most want Evelyn's dumplings, but Sarah's cake is a close second.

• Love 2

I was hoping after last seasons parade of mole sauces from Gabe they’d be banned….

This was Buddha’s to lose; the other two were unfortunate in having to compete against him. They would have held their own in many other seasons I think.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Hold the control key down and type an apostrophe; release the control key and then type the letter you’re trying to put the accent on.  My name is Renée…I know how to do an accent mark on both a PC and a MAC ;)

Not doing it for me . . . .   (This should go to Small Talk I suppose if anyone wants to carry on trying to help the unfortunate.)

I'm intrigued at the idea of a curry mole, or 'murry' as Buddha called it. I've had both chicken mole and curried goat and enjoyed them. The only time I tried rabbit was in stew so I really didn't get a good sense of the taste. Sarah was clearly in third place so that makes Evelyn runner up. I knew Buddha was going to pick Jackson as sou chef and expected him to win, because every time they teamed up they've won.

The leaf tuilles were beautiful. And amazing. Amazingly beautiful!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Not doing it for me . . . .   (This should go to Small Talk I suppose if anyone wants to carry on trying to help the unfortunate.)

It worked on Word for me but not here on the comments section. Hmmm.....

Glad Buddha won because he has just been excellent all season. I really like how supportive the chefs have been with each other all season as well. Great Top Chef finale.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, The Solution said:

Wow! Best finale ever. Being a huge basketball fan, I'm going to say I took the same approach to this that I'm taking to this year's NBA finale (which is on in the other room) - I'm just watching. I've never been a Celtics fan but Ime Udoka is an awesome coach. Now they just play clean and you can see how great the players are. Golden State is just a team of superstars.

Last week, I questioned whether Evelyn was given some advantages, being from the Southwest, Now I realize this lady is just that good. Instead of wanting to see her in a different season without that advantage, now I want to see her in a season without superstar Buddha to see how she would kick everyone's ass. And being a native Spanish speaker, I love hearing someone speak Spanish and pronounce things correctly. (I'm fussy with English, Italian and French too).

There's a case for any of the three being named winner and I'm sure that case would be right. SO impressed with all three meals. I'm definitely making a trip to Detroit to experience Sarah's food and to Brooklyn to see family and experience Buddha's food and to Houston for whatever reason I can concoct to experience Evelyn's food.

All that being said, my favorite line of the evening was Ed Lee saying that he had the best view since he was sitting across from Eric Ripert (who didn't look like he quite knew how to take that).

I can assure you, Evelyn and most all Texans would say she is from the South, not the Southwest. I was rooting for her to win,  it Buddha put forth one impressive dinner. His dessert looked absolutely stunning! 

• Love 1

Congratulations to Top Chef Buddha.  He really hit a home run with his finale meal.  I thought he was strong throughout the competition, but not a shoe-in.  There were a number of great chefs this time around, as we saw from the finalists.  Buddha has strong aesthetic component to his cooking, which was very impressive.  The judges heaped praise on his flavors, as well.  He has such finesse- his plates are like works of art.

• Love 9

Once again they made me think I was getting a two hour episode by sticking "Top Chef Family Style" onto regular "Top Chef" There is no way I would ever watch that show, why is it hosted by Meghan Trainor?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20

All that food looked so beautiful!  Buddha’s leaves were amazing. I wanted to eat every one of those dishes. And I’m looking forward to finding a way to try Evelyn’s food in Houston. This was a lovely season. Just finished watching, and I’m still a little weepy from Buddha’s phone call. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, GaT said:

Once again they made me think I was getting a two hour episode by sticking "Top Chef Family Style" onto regular "Top Chef" There is no way I would ever watch that show, why is it hosted by Meghan Trainor?

More to the point (for me at least), who is Meghan Trainor?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Was there ever any explanation this season of how Buddha made those tuile shapes? Is he carrying a laserprinter for food or something? A cutout shape? I remember wondering back when he and Jackson teamed up early in the season. It's a wonderful technique I don't remember seeing before. It's showy and "Molecular Gastronomy" and all, but as far as I can tell it's just shaping real ingredients like vegetables in this case.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Was there ever any explanation this season of how Buddha made those tuile shapes? Is he carrying a laserprinter for food or something? A cutout shape? I remember wondering back when he and Jackson teamed up early in the season. It's a wonderful technique I don't remember seeing before. It's showy and "Molecular Gastronomy" and all, but as far as I can tell it's just shaping real ingredients like vegetables in this case.

He didn't go into it in detail, but there was a scene of Jackson forming the tuiles in silicone trays.  Jackson was scraping off the excess batter in the scene.  Then, we saw that after they came out of the oven, they were shaped while still warm. Jackson said he had to make oodles of tuile accents and judging from the final meals, I can see why.  Each tuile was a different shape and flavor.  They were like a running theme through out his meal.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
50 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

He didn't go into it in detail, but there was a scene of Jackson forming the tuiles in silicone trays.  Jackson was scraping off the excess batter in the scene.  Then, we saw that after they came out of the oven, they were shaped while still warm. Jackson said he had to make oodles of tuile accents and judging from the final meals, I can see why.  Each tuile was a different shape and flavor.  They were like a running theme through out his meal.

I don’t think they were trays, I think they were stencils, so they’d be lifted off and leave the pattern in batter on a sheet of parchment, to be baked and then shaped. Those tuiles looked too delicate to take ouf of a mold intact. 

Edited by caitmcg
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, GaT said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghan_Trainor

She has absolutely nothing to do with food that I can tell

I mostly remember her from a very annoying Skechers ad, showing her singing and dancing.      She's some pop singer.  I have no idea why she's on a food show, as the host.  I also don't understand why they called it TC Family, since the parents were the chefs, and the kids were just helping.

I loved the TC finale, and think all three finalists will have great careers.    I loved seeing Tanque Verde ranch again too. 

I didn't like that the TC Family finale was put on the schedule so you had to record it, sneaky way to increase viewership.   When I realized that it was the other show tacked on, I stopped the recording.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He said "He's showing off" in a particularly disdainful way and Padma said "Why shouldn't he?  It's the finale."

I disagree that this was any kind of nastiness on the part of Tom; however it definitely was one of my favorite moments.  (And, let's not forget Padma is kind of queen of unjustified stinkface.)  I was mentioning that I do like Tom's critiques, I rarely ever think they are unjustified, just legitimately critical. 

I did love the fact that Buddha's frozen purchase was never brought up again, in prep or judging.  Perfect fake-out, Top Chef!  Well done.

I don't entirely believe they called the sous chefs to fly out immediately, Jackson looked like he'd been in the desert for at least a week already.  I was also glad to see Jackson, who was one of my favorites.  I was pretty sure he was going to go all the way, so it was nice to have him there in spirit.

I liked how they finally admitted how even the great food of other chefs often simply had the misfortune of being next to Buddha's, who has really curbed-stomped his way through the competition like a T-2000 all season.  And been incredibly watchable and nice all along.  My wife asked if he had EVER been on the bottom.  I feel like he was once, but it was kind of a token bottom where someone else had left an eggshell in a desert or something, so there was no actual danger.

I did love this finale.  Calm, reasonable, no stupid crowds or weirdness or even a lot of manic drama (one of the reason I have been totally over restaurant wars for years).  Just cook.  This was a really good season.  (I even think they finally got the Last Chance Kitchen format right!)

Edited by Lassus
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10

(In one final melancholy commentary, all that I can be now and perhaps forever whenever I see Eric Ripert is just brutally sad, as he was the one who found Bourdain.)

• Sad 23
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I mostly remember her from a very annoying Skechers ad, showing her singing and dancing.      She's some pop singer.  I have no idea why she's on a food show, as the host.  I also don't understand why they called it TC Family, since the parents were the chefs, and the kids were just helping.

Oh I wish you would watch TC Family and the kids were the chefs with the adults helping in most cases.  I really enjoyed it. 

Re TC finale

Yay to everyone as it was a wonderful finale.  Buddha did deserve the win. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Oh I wish you would watch TC Family and the kids were the chefs with the adults helping in most cases.  I really enjoyed it. 

I really enjoyed TC Family as well and yes, the kids were definitely the ones in charge.  And except for the mother and daughter who screamed at each other all the time, the contestants were enjoyable.

I didn't for the life of me remember the cheftestant Sarah chose as her sous chef.  And now I have to find some way to incorporate acorns into a dessert.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I was thoroughly charmed by all of those tuiles.  My husband came into the room and I started babbling at him excitedly about the adorable BEES...and the BUTTERFLIES...and the LEAVES..."they RUSTLE!!!"  He was less impressed.

6 hours ago, caitmcg said:

I don’t think they were trays, I think they were stencils, so they’d be lifted off and leave the pattern in batter on a sheet of parchment, to be baked and then shaped. Those tuiles looked too delicate to take ouf of a mold intact. 

That is correct.  I was disappointed by something I misunderstood from the preview, though...at one point someone said the leaves were changing colors, like the leaves in Central Park in the fall; I thought they were doing that in front of the diners, and couldn't wait to see that bit of wizardry!  Alas, that was an artifact of how the preview was edited.  Curse you, Magical Elves!  They were still absolutely beautiful...and did I mention they RUSTLED?!??!!

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Didn't he say the tuiles were all made out of different vegetables for each course?

Yes, the bees were sweet potato, the butterflies were carrot, the leaves in the 3rd course were eggplant, and the stunning (and RUSTLE-Y!!) leaves on the deconstructed pumpkin pie were (naturally) pumpkin.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I loved the concept of Sarah’s final meal, but felt like she needed to fine tune if over a few more months. Evelyn’s goat mole curry look unappetizing, but I like the idea of it. Buddha’s meal seemed like it had been perfected after a thousand preparations. Landslide win. 

I have a real fondness for the quirky chefs like Sarah who know they do crazy stuff and end up gaining confidence as the season goes along. (Fancy toast, I'm looking in your direction...)

But I also really love when a chef like Buddha not only does wonderfully all season, but then absolutely kills it in the final. He was a very, very deserving winner. 

And this was a solid season with many talented and likable chefs. I look forward to seeing some of them again in a future all-stars season.

• Like 3
  • Love 21
(edited)

I think that if it had been anyone but Buddha, it would've been a crime.  As much as I love Evelyn, neither she nor Sarah are the same caliber of chef as he is (and they're both amazing).  So congratulations to Buddha, and I hope all of them go on to do phenomenal things in the culinary world!  

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 11