Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E12: We're on a Boat

• Start Topic

After saying goodbye to their loved ones, the chefs receive an ominous gift from Tom, who tells them to get up early and meet him at the docks; for their elimination challenge each chef must create two fresh fish dishes.

Original air date: May 19, 2022

They always spoil who is going home at the beginning.  I knew all episode, just not how it would play out.  As usual, the winner was identified a long time ago if you were paying attention. 

When the cheftestants sat around talking about what they were going to make, I got nervous for Evelyn, but wasn’t sure why.  So after the comments at the dining table about her playing it safe, I was relieved Nick and Damarr made actual mistakes; as much as I like them, Evelyn has been my favorite since early in the competition and I want her to go all the way.

At least Nick has all that money he won from QF challenges.  Still sad to see him go, but I'd have felt that way about anyone other than Sarah (just because I don't watch LCK so don't "know" her the same as I do the others, not because I think she's not a good enough chef).

Great win for Sarah after she analogized her return to the competition as making it through middle school thinking you’re the shit and then you get to high school and you’re a loser.  Her dishes both sounded great!

It was great to have both Dawn and Stephanie at the table.

I’d have been miserable on that boat.  I’m okay going full speed ahead, but once you stop the boat, I am nauseated within 60 seconds.  Sarah cracked me up describing everyone catching fish after fish as “It’s like Oprah – ‘you get a fish, you get a fish’”.

• Love 19

I'm just glad the fishing competition turned out fairly even. These "wrangle your own protein" challenges could really disadvantage one/some of the chefs. Thankfully that didn't happen.

• Love 17

If not for Sarah still being in the competition, I would be happy with any of the remaining chefs as the winner. She is not in the same league as the others. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, virginia blue said:

I think this episode proved that’s not the case. She had a successful run on LCK and won tonight. When she can get out of her own way she is the equal of every other chef there.

I've been eyeballing Sarah's restaurant (Marrow) in Indian Village in Detroit for a year before the pandemic hit. But I couldn't cross the border until now without expensive testing requirements from Canada. I was very excited when I found out she was going to be on this season.   It's next to Sister Pie which has the most amazing pie (the Salted Maple is perfection, the handpies are delicious to grab and go for lunch when I get over there and their cookies are amazing). Now that I can cross the border again, I'm planning on going to dinner there soon or pop in and grab the sandwhiches they offer for lunch or the meat they sell from their meat locker.  Her dishes on instagram look amazing and her food tonight sounded the most creative and clearly all the judges were impressed.  She made it all the way through LCK (and several of her dishes there looked and sounded great) and I hope her, Evelyn or Buddah win this.  I'd honestly be happy with any of them. 

• Love 17
27 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m bored by variations on a fish taco. Sarah’s was the most innovative. She deserved her win. Bummer for Nick. 

If I was cooking for Daniel Boulod or Stephanie Izard (where I had the best meal of my life at Girl and the Goat) I would want to push myself beyond a fish taco or making my own tortillas.   Innovation and flavour would have to be key to winning this challenge.  

• Love 12

There's no one I want to see leave from this point on. Nick is awesome, but I think he knew he messed up before anyone else did and there's something to be said for that. I wanted to eat both Buddha's and Damarr's meals the entire time and I think there's something to be said for subtlety (not being supposed to eat much sodium). As soon as Sarah's dish was presented, I knew it had to be outstanding. And it did seem like Evelyn played it a little safe even if I would have eaten the HELL out of her dish. For me now, it's between Buddha and Damarr.

• Love 14
52 minutes ago, vmarsissmart said:

I've been eyeballing Sarah's restaurant (Marrow) in Indian Village in Detroit for a year before the pandemic hit. But I couldn't cross the border until now without expensive testing requirements from Canada. I was very excited when I found out she was going to be on this season.   It's next to Sister Pie which has the most amazing pie (the Salted Maple is perfection, the handpies are delicious to grab and go for lunch when I get over there and their cookies are amazing). Now that I can cross the border again, I'm planning on going to dinner there soon or pop in and grab the sandwhiches they offer for lunch or the meat they sell from their meat locker.  Her dishes on instagram look amazing and her food tonight sounded the most creative and clearly all the judges were impressed.  She made it all the way through LCK (and several of her dishes there looked and sounded great) and I hope her, Evelyn or Buddah win this.  I'd honestly be happy with any of them. 

I didn't realize Sarah's restaurant was in Detroit. Being a Clevelander, I will need to check that out!

• Love 4

Thank goodness they finally started catching some fish- they had me nervous for a while there.  

I'm sad to see Nick go...he is a very talented chef and I look forward to hearing more about him and his Mississippi culinary creations in the future.  It sounded like his flavors were spot on, but the taco was dry and the fish cake didn't come together, due to his forgetting his binder.  He can go home proud of his accomplishments and buy his mom a new Mercedes with all that cash he won!

I'm still rooting for Damarr and Evelyn, but would be happy with a win by any of them.  Buddha is so creative and Sarah is a fighter.  I'm looking forward to the finale!

• Love 14

Speaking of Dawn, everyone having time pressure this challenge brought me back to her struggles with the clock last season. I love Dawn but no one (or at least not many) has missed important components on their dishes this season.

Everyone managed to plate on time, though Nick in particular needed more time to work through his issues. Sad to see him go.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

When the cheftestants sat around talking about what they were going to make, I got nervous for Evelyn, but wasn’t sure why.  So after the comments at the dining table about her playing it safe, I was relieved Nick and Damarr made actual mistakes; as much as I like them, Evelyn has been my favorite since early in the competition and I want her to go all the way.

At least Nick has all that money he won from QF challenges.  Still sad to see him go, but I'd have felt that way about anyone other than Sarah (just because I don't watch LCK so don't "know" her the same as I do the others, not because I think she's not a good enough chef).

Great win for Sarah after she analogized her return to the competition as making it through middle school thinking you’re the shit and then you get to high school and you’re a loser.  Her dishes both sounded great!

It was great to have both Dawn and Stephanie at the table.

I’d have been miserable on that boat.  I’m okay going full speed ahead, but once you stop the boat, I am nauseated within 60 seconds.  Sarah cracked me up describing everyone catching fish after fish as “It’s like Oprah – ‘you get a fish, you get a fish’”.

I don’t watch LCK so I feel exactly the same way about Sarah; I don’t “know” her. And I absolutely agree about the boat. Once it stops, it’s over for me.

• Love 3

Okay.  I have endeavored, more than once, to make a different taco every day for a month ( not on Saturday, though.  That’s when I’d go out for tacos).  Still, I’m a little weary of tacos this season on TC.  Evelyn, whom I adore, clearly has her flavors figured out.  But, oh how I wish she’d ELEVATE the construction and presentation.  I’d happily eat the daylights out of any taco she’s presented, but none of them have screamed “yup, this is what I’m going to serve to M Boulud on Top Chef”.  I want her to experience the offerings of a restaurants like Topolobampo.  I want the best for her.  
Nick.  Dang, buddy.  Stupid clock.  Still, though.  Another freaking taco?  Did I mention that I kinda have a thing for tacos?  Sigh…

Damarr.  I was a bit wistful upon learning that he had never been fishing.  At all, not just from a great big boat.  I can’t kill so much as a housefly, but I’m grateful for my memories of fishing as a kid, and that my kids got to do the same.  Then, him getting choked up at jt got me choked up.  Dang!  Enough!  Oh yeah, I also loved his reflections on the day on the water as their excursion headed back to dock.  He’s my kind of friend.

I was happy for Sarah.  I don’t have a strong connection with her yet, so that’s all i have to say about her win.  
Buddha.  His food is like art.  So beautiful.  His flavors back it up, apparently.  A feast for all senses.  
Dang!  I do love the taco.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Speaking of Dawn, everyone having time pressure this challenge brought me back to her struggles with the clock last season. I love Dawn but no one (or at least not many) has missed important components on their dishes this season.

Everyone managed to plate on time, though Nick in particular needed more time to work through his issues. Sad to see him go.

The only two I remember was Stephanie, in Bok Choy getting left off, and then Sam and Potato-gate on the football field challenge.   I wish they would give them more time.      I thought it was hysterical that Sarah was talking about an Oprah give away with the fish.      

• Love 5

I was actively hating on Sarah during this episode, so I was dismayed to see her win. I think fish pastrami sounds kinda gross as someone who likes beef and turkey pastrami. 

Well, if it was going to come down to Nick or Damarr, I much rather it be Damarr who battles on. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, vmarsissmart said:

If I was cooking for Daniel Boulod or Stephanie Izard (where I had the best meal of my life at Girl and the Goat) I would want to push myself beyond a fish taco or making my own tortillas.

I love Evelyn but I think she leans too heavily on her comfort zone. 

9 hours ago, The Solution said:

but I think he knew he messed up before anyone else did and there's something to be said for that

Both right after he cooked, and just after Judges table, it seemed that he (and everyone else) knew he was the goner. He even said the equivalent of "it's been great knowing you."

• Love 5
3 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

My husband and I are 12 apparently, because as soon as Evelyn said to Daniel Boulud, "I'm so happy you ate my taco," we looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Same. I got a very judgmental look from my dog.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, ProudMary said:

I'll grant you that I've had a tough week personally, but this was the first time in 19 seasons that I actually teared up at the outcome of Judge's Table. I like Buddha and Evelyn, but Damarr and Nick have been my guys and I wanted to see both of them in the Final Four. Damarr's "My big brother just went home" had me 😪.  I do think the judges got it right though. Everything on Nick's taco plate looked dry and his fish cake was a mess. He cooked many excellent dishes this season that I'd be delighted to eat but tonight certainly wasn't his night.

Sarah's food really must have knocked it out of the park because Buddha's dishes looked fabulous too. Buddha's face when Daniel Boulud was complimenting his dishes was a joy to see.

On to Tuscon!

Your first sentence is spot on for me. I have never teared up at Judge’s Table but found myself doing so the other night. DaMarr has always been my favorite and I’ve always liked Nick but he really grew on me in the last few episodes. You could see the joy in his face and I felt like we got to see more of his personality as the show went on.  Many times when a contestant leaves they go through the whole “it’s been a great experience and I’m really glad I came, etc.” however you could really see the joy in Nick’s face when he spoke about his experience on Top Chef and I felt that it was genuine, not just something to say. And for that, it made me love him all the more. He truly felt grateful and joyous and I hope his time on Top Chef is only the beginning and much success comes from his time. I loved Demarr so I was stressed that he was on the bottom, but I was confident that it would be Nick going home.  

I love Evelyn and I’ve grown to really like Buddha.  As far as Sarah, I don’t really know her so I was not pulling for her in this episode and was really really distressed to see both Nick and Damarr on the bottom. Again, I don’t really know Sarah so I’m not really rooting for her.  i don’t like  LKC so I don’t watch it.  Even though I am totally rooting for Damarr to win, I would be very happy with and Evelyn or Buddha win.  Not so much Sarah but if she had this successful of a run on last chance kitchen and can come back and beat the rest, I have to give it to her.

So basically the next few weeks will be hard for me.  When I heard they were going to Tucson, I immediately went back to Gail‘s comment during RW to Maria when she said “we might all show up at your house in Tucson” and Maria said “Please do.” So all I could think of is “yes, please do.” I would LOVE if she cooked for the Final Four and judges at her house.  I think I saw a glimpse of her in the next episode and I love Maria so I’m happy to see her featured.  

Actually, it would be great if past winners could cook a meal for the Final Four, eat with them and the judges, and go through what it takes to win, some tips about that day, or whatever.  I’d watch that.  

Edited by VintageJ
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

I love Evelyn and I’ve grown to really like Buddha.  As far as Sarah, I don’t really know her so I was not pulling for her in this episode and was really really distressed to see both Nick and Damarr on the bottom. Again, I don’t really know Sarah so I’m not really rooting for her.  i don’t like  LKC so I don’t watch it. 

I liked this set of contestants a lot. So much better than last season when I was "Anyone but Gabe."

I felt exactly this way about Kristen Kish when she had her fabulous LCK run and then won her season. I hadn't watched LCK that season so knew her only from the main show and hadn't developed any affection for her. I watched LCK a few years ago and like her much more now. I watch it regularly now so I don't have that same irritation. I get not like LCK though. I mean, you're out you're out, only sometimes a great chef goes out when they shouldn't. 

Of all the chef's I enjoy Sarah's talking heads the most. I like her dry humor and self-deprecation. This top group has really bonded and she's the outsider. It's unfortunate for her, but it's one of the any drawbacks of having LCK. When it was announced she and Buddha were in the top, you could see she wanted a hug, but thought she should shake instead. So awkward. 

I sensed a lot of fatigue in Nick. His food did look good, but forgetting the binder and making a fish taco for Boulud? Seriously? Evelyn is showing some idea fatigue as well. Sarah and Buddha were the only ones who absolutely went for it. I like Buddha, but I get the feeling he's studied every season and has a dish in his mind for every possible challenge. If he wins, and I'd be happy if he did, it's going to be as much about his pre-planning as it is about the food that comes out of the kitchen on that particular day. 

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

When I heard they were going to Tucson, I immediately went back to Gail‘s comment during RW to Maria when she said “we might all show also up at your house in Tucson” and Maria said “Please do.”.

just in case you are as memory-challenged as I am-- that wasn't this season's restaurant week- that was Portland.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I felt exactly this way about Kristen Kish when she had her fabulous LCK run and then won her season. I hadn't watched LCK that season so knew her only from the main show and hadn't developed any affection for her. I watched LCK a few years ago and like her much more now. I watch it regularly now so I don't have that same irritation. I get not like LCK though. I mean, you're out you're out, only sometimes a great chef goes out when they shouldn't. 

You guys should all know that Sarah won 7 challenges in a row on LCK to be able to reenter the competition.  She's the real deal. I personally think LCK is even harder than Top Chef proper, because of the time constraints:  "Here's 20 minutes -- make me 2 restaurant quality dishes with durian.." etc.

I like Buddha, but I get the feeling he's studied every season and has a dish in his mind for every possible challenge. If he wins, and I'd be happy if he did, it's going to be as much about his pre-planning as it is about the food that comes out of the kitchen on that particular day. 

We've said on other seasons that we're surprised when cheftestants don't seem to know certain things and appear to have never watched the show.  This is the flip side -- and this is the way you play the game to win.

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
8 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

You guys should all know that Sarah won 7 challenges in a row on LCK to be able to reenter the competition.  She's the real deal. I personally think LCK is even harder than Top Chef proper, because of the time constraints:  "Here's 20 minutes -- make me 2 restaurant quality dishes with durian.." etc.

We've said on other seasons that we're surprised when cheftestants don't seem to know certain things and appear to have never watched the show.  This is the flip side -- and this is the way you play the game to win.

I do like Sarah and will be thrilled if she wins. Her LCK run was fantastic and she made amazing looking food with those difficult time constraints. 

I think Buddha is one of the smartest cheftestants to have prepared so well. I'll be happy if he wins. 

I also like Damarr and Evelyn. And I liked Nick. 

• Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I hear you on this, but on the other hand, there is a familiarity that grows with "how this works" the longer you're in LCK (which I'm not a fan of anyway) and she's only cooking against one all-new LCK person who's just been voted off and there is only one judge who knows exactly who cooked what.  I think there is a case to be made of the scale being weighted to the person who continues to cook in LCK.  I'll also add that with Tom as the head of LCK and he's basically having to back his decision on who returns to the main competition, you can be very sure he doesn't want to look like an idiot that his LCK-person gets kicked off right after returning.

Self-deprecating and dry humor is actually my favorite, but Sarah's is too too frequent for my liking.  Her personality exhausts me.

Damarr, Nick, and Buddha = genuine pals for life, it seems.  I was so sad to see Nick go, but I get it totally.  

I am so fond of Evelyn, but her food is not as elevated and seems more "Top Comfort Chef".  Another blasted taco - the Evelyn and Nick tacos last night did not look tasty at all.  Tucson will be right in her wheelhouse though.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 14

I'm on the West Coast, but get the East Coast feed of Bravo, so my husband and I don't watch until several hours after the episode has aired. I ALWAYS come here to get the spoilers on who went home, but just couldn't do it last night, because I really didn't want any of the five to go home. It's the first time I can remember that I will be fine with any of them winning, and sad with whoever goes home. Nick's exit did make me tear up, he came across as genuinely classy and joyful, and I would love to eat his food. Except that fish cake, which did not look visually appealing at all.

Loved Tom the dad this episode. From his dad jokes, to dad taking his kids fishing, to the proud looks I caught on the second watch for the ones who did good, and his what looked like genuine sadness for those that didn't do so well, he just seemed so much more relatable than sniff and sneer Tom.

Ok, I know this is weird, but I missed it the first time around, but it just totally stood out and squicked me out on the re-watch: Evelyn has a bracelet that is basically a red cord or string that is tied around her wrist that has the two ends below the knot that hang down quite a ways. I noticed those getting dragged through the food during prep at one point, and as much as she is the person whose food I imagine I would enjoy eating the most out of the five (Tacos!! who wouldn't want a taco? Although both of those tacos looked really dry and minimal tonight), it made me really want a wrist net for her bracelet ends.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I was actively hating on Sarah during this episode, so I was dismayed to see her win. I think fish pastrami sounds kinda gross as someone who likes beef and turkey pastrami. 

Well, if it was going to come down to Nick or Damarr, I much rather it be Damarr who battles on. 

When I first heard about salmon candy, I thought it sounded revolting.  Turns out it's Ambrosia for the gods.

30 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I hear you on this, but on the other hand, there is a familiarity that grows with "how this works" the longer you're in LCK (which I'm not a fan of anyway) and she's only cooking against one all-new LCK person who's just been voted off and there is only one judge who knows exactly who cooked what.  I think there is a case to be made of the scale being weighted to the person who continues to cook in LCK.  

Self-deprecating and dry humor is actually my favorite, but Sarah's is too too frequent for my liking.  Her personality exhausts me.

Damarr, Nick, and Buddha = genuine pals for life, it seems.  I was so sad to see Nick go, but I get it totally.  

I am so fond of Evelyn, but her food is not as elevated and seems more "Top Comfort Chef".  Another blasted taco.  Tucson will be right in her wheelhouse though.

As I was reading the previous comments I was thinking to myself I need to post about Sarah, MerBearHue.  She should be my favorite, but she completely rubs me the wrong way.  You articulate my reaction to her perfectly.  She is way too self-aware.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I do recall while they were cleaning their catches, a couple of folks mentioning that the type of fish they caught was tough.  So I wonder if the pastrami rub and the mouth memories it triggers helped the fish experience as meaty.  I’ve enjoyed grilled halibut seasoned like steak and served with steak sauce.  I don’t think of halibut as tough, just very firm or meaty, if you will.  So I wonder if that’s what they meant.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

My husband and I are 12 apparently, because as soon as Evelyn said to Daniel Boulud, "I'm so happy you ate my taco," we looked at each other and burst out laughing.

Same thing happened here in my house!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I liked this set of contestants a lot. So much better than last season when I was "Anyone but Gabe."

Of all the chef's I enjoy Sarah's talking heads the most. I like her dry humor and self-deprecation. This top group has really bonded and she's the outsider. It's unfortunate for her, but it's one of the any drawbacks of having LCK. When it was announced she and Buddha were in the top, you could see she wanted a hug, but thought she should shake instead. So awkward. 

I sensed a lot of fatigue in Nick. His food did look good, but forgetting the binder and making a fish taco for Boulud? Seriously? Evelyn is showing some idea fatigue as well. Sarah and Buddha were the only ones who absolutely went for it. I like Buddha, but I get the feeling he's studied every season and has a dish in his mind for every possible challenge. If he wins, and I'd be happy if he did, it's going to be as much about his pre-planning as it is about the food that comes out of the kitchen on that particular day. 

I screwed up my highlighting, but I agree with your comment about Buddha in the final paragraph.  I haven’t been able to put my finger on it.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

I am against the fundamental concept of LCK. I think that when you are forced off in a show, you shouldn't get a second chance. Or potentially a third, as if I understand things correctly, a contestant could get brought back when there are 10 chefs in the main competition, lose, and then get brought back when there are 5. 

I also feel like her sense of humor grates a little.

And then there was the realization that her return increases the possibility that my homie Damarr isn't Top Chef.

But hey, her performance was praised by the judges, and it's not like the worst cheftestant in most recent years didn't have at least something going on. So if she manages to beat out the other three, good on her. But my rooting interests are:

Damarr

Buddha (who I think is going to win and probably objectively should win, but then I thought that about Shota last season, so what do I know)

Evelyn

Sarah

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I am against the fundamental concept of LCK. I think that when you are forced off in a show, you shouldn't get a second chance. Or potentially a third, as if I understand things correctly, a contestant could get brought back when there are 10 chefs in the main competition, lose, and then get brought back when there are 5. 

I was too, especially with Kristen Kish. It infuriated me when she came back. However, I've come to accept that it's part of the competition, just like poor front-of-the-house can get you booted in RW. This part of the competition is not going to go away. So I watch it and enjoy seeing even more delicious dishes being prepared. 

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I like Buddha, but I get the feeling he's studied every season and has a dish in his mind for every possible challenge. If he wins, and I'd be happy if he did, it's going to be as much about his pre-planning as it is about the food that comes out of the kitchen on that particular day. 

Honestly, this may be what I like about Buddha most of all! Overall, I'm rooting for Damarr, but I've liked Buddha from the beginning and there's no one else in this season's competition that has come close to him in terms of "fine dining." I'm someone who has the same complaint here every season, "Has [random cheftestant] ever even WATCHED Top Chef?" Buddha  obviously "sat the class" and it's very impressive to see. Again, Damarr has my heart, but I've had Buddha pegged as the winner since Episode 2 and I do think that he's still the ultimate winner.

2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I hear you on this, but on the other hand, there is a familiarity that grows with "how this works" the longer you're in LCK (which I'm not a fan of anyway) and she's only cooking against one all-new LCK person who's just been voted off and there is only one judge who knows exactly who cooked what.  I think there is a case to be made of the scale being weighted to the person who continues to cook in LCK.  

I get what you're saying here, but this season's LCK had more twists and turns than I can ever recall, including a couple of double cook-offs, a three-person competition and a couple of episodes with more than just Tom as the judge.

All of which has me SO torn on how I feel about Sarah, because I've had Damarr, Buddha, Nick and Evelyn as my "can't miss" Final Four for pretty much the entire season, but I do watch LCK each week and what Sarah did there was quite remarkable. She doesn't have as warm a personality as the other remaining chefs, but she's right with them in terms of cooking ability. Also, another thing I always complain about is when a chef makes something they've never cooked before. Sometimes the nature of the challenge makes that decision for them, but given the choice they should make a dish they have a level of comfort with. We saw this several times with Sarah in LCK, where she'd often cook something on her restaurant's menu. She knew exactly how certain ingredients would respond to a specific method of cooking within the time frame and how to bring out specific flavors or textures that Tom was looking for. She is a very smart cook. 

For those who don't watch LCK on the regular, I'd suggest that you might want to go back and do so, just for the Sarah episodes, because she is most definitely a threat in the main competition.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 1
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I get what you're saying here, but this season's LCK had more twists and turns than I can ever recall, including a couple of double cook-offs, a three-person competition and a couple of episodes with more than just Tom as the judge.

And for people saying she had to compete against fewer people at a time, well, she also had a 50/50 chance of going home each time. No odds quite that bad for the others until you get to the very final final episode of the season. I like Sarah a lot, and her food sounds amazing. I'd be quite happy if she won.

• Love 20

This has been quite the season, that's for sure.  I agree with pretty much everything I've read here, that Evelyn is too far in her comfort zone, Nick and Damarr (and Evelyn to some extent) are suffering from a little exhaustion and burnout, it is hard to get a handle on Sarah, and Buddha obviously came prepared

Nick really had an off night.  Neither of his preparations were very successful.  I'm sad to see him go, but....ooof, that was a bad night for him.

Does Sarah deserve the win, either last night or in the end?  I don't know.  I don't really have an opinion on LCK either way.  I'm happy if a chef I liked comes back, and meh if a chef I didn't like comes back.  Sarah's problem with the viewers is if you don't watch LCK, nobody knows who she is while we've been hanging with all the other chefs these past seven weeks.  Tom knows, though, and I know he shares with the other judges, so I think the judges have continuity with the returning chef, just not the viewers.  I thought her description of her pseudo crudo was lovely, as was her meticulous placement of the tofu and fish slices.  Fish pastrami?  Not so much.  As someone said upthread, maybe that paired well with the meaty fish.

Buddha has grown on me as the season went on--not that I ever disliked him--but I went Team Buddha after his turn at the front of the house for Restaurant Wars.  For someone who is meticulously prepared, studied hard, and brought receipts, Buddha pivoted very well when things went south, changed his dish a bit, and made it a success.  Not a lot of people with that sort of meticulous personality type are conceptually flexible enough to pivot like that, let alone brilliantly.  I would have picked him over Sarah, but I didn't taste the food, so we'll have to trust the judges. 

For the record, I'm still Team Evelyn and Team Damarr too.  And Team Sarah, a little.  This is a really good set of chefs, and I'm just watching for pure enjoyment and not to root for or against anyone at all.  Not like in past seasons!  Was this a fluke, or is this a taste of things to come?  Will we get treated to future seasons of low drama, good food, and happy people?

• Love 15

I'm definitely not saying Sarah can't cook -- she certainly can as proved by her LCK run.  She isn't flawless though (none are).

She just wears on me personally and I don't like Last Chance Kitchen.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Sometimes the nature of the challenge makes that decision for them, but given the choice they should make a dish they have a level of comfort with. We saw this several times with Sarah in LCK, where she'd often cook something on her restaurant's menu. She knew exactly how certain ingredients would respond to a specific method of cooking within the time frame and how to bring out specific flavors or textures that Tom was looking for. She is a very smart cook. 

I thought this was a great strategy but usually it was her using flavours she was familiar with or techniques she is familiar with and uses at her restaurant.  When the eliminated contestants kept calling it out that this is what she was doing, it felt like they were pointing it out as a bad thing as she wasn't being original.  She totally had me when she made those "Jamasian" dumplings was it for the take out challenge on LCK though.  Even though she was using ideas she has done before she was making them her own everytime or modifying them to meet the challenge which totally helped.  

• Love 9
19 hours ago, The Solution said:

There's no one I want to see leave from this point on. Nick is awesome, but I think he knew he messed up before anyone else did and there's something to be said for that. I wanted to eat both Buddha's and Damarr's meals the entire time and I think there's something to be said for subtlety (not being supposed to eat much sodium). As soon as Sarah's dish was presented, I knew it had to be outstanding. And it did seem like Evelyn played it a little safe even if I would have eaten the HELL out of her dish. For me now, it's between Buddha and Damarr.

I think Evelyn played it safe since she didn't buy any additional protein and many of the others did. I think she wanted to highlight the fish that she caught so maybe thought she would get off a bit easy. She was right. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I love reading everyone’s insights. I watched LCK, and I think Sarah’s deadpan humor is a cover for her awkwardness. I personally find it endearing, but I can see how it’s grating for some. I found her dishes on LCK a bit repetitive—she uses relishes/condiments, etc on so many dishes. Tom really seemed to like her cooking, and her outrageous talking heads made me chuckle. 

I think Buddha is running away with it. Tom has said in season 9, they had to dumb down Paul Qi’s Food to make it seem more competitive, and I suspect they’ve done that with Buddha, although he’s had some missteps. Sarah’s food must have been incredible this challenge to beat what Buddha did. I think I’ve said this before, but I don’t really want to eat Buddha’s food, although I’m sure it’s delicious. His techniques are such so much more intricate than the others, and obviously the flavor is there. And since last week, we know he can cook simpler dishes, too. Add in that he’s calm and always prepared makes him either (hopefully) a winner or maybe a shocking boot. Oooh, that would get this forum jumping! 

Edited by Sd601
  • Love 6
(edited)

Anyone watched the Taste?   In the third season a chef named Gabe dominated.  It was a blind tasting and he just blew away the competition.    In some ways it was fun to watch, but the suspense was gone halfway through the season and the show didn’t get a fourth season.  

If Buddha is so far ahead of the others, they may be trying to at least pretend there is a competition.   

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3

It's interesting to see that many posters don't care for LCK.  I personally enjoy it and wish it were on the regular tv feed.  I find it fast paced and fun, and we certainly got to see more of Tom's personality, especially this season (I found him curiously quiet on Top Chef, lately).  But, for me the best part of LCK is that a chef can have another chance at redemption.  This is especially helpful in this competition, which bases the elimination on the last meal cooked and not the whole body of the chef's work thus far.  Any chef can have a bad day, forget a spice or leave an ingredient in the shopping cart, but at least there is still the possibility of reentering the competition, or at least cooking a decent meal for Tom.  I feel badly when one of the top achieving chefs makes an error that sends them "home," but the blow is softened by LCK.  I've even wished other competition shows would use a format like this so the contestants they cut could battle back into the competition.   Just my 2 cents...

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Any chef can have a bad day, forget a spice or leave an ingredient in the shopping cart, but at least there is still the possibility of reentering the competition, or at least cooking a decent meal for Tom.

I like seeing people get a second chance, especially when the competition means so much to so many of the cheftestants.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I like LCK because it gives me more content.

I’m Top Chef’s bitch…

Same! My 6yr-old sneakily avoids bedtime when he notices Top Chef is on. He knows I get distracted. 

I think LCK is great. Sometimes you go home on a team challenge where your teammate was the worst. Sometimes the power goes out or the oven gets turned up too hot or someone takes your pea purée. The really good ones can pivot and adjust, but sometimes it’s out of your control. The ones who win LCK are usually the best, so I applaud Sarah for making it. 

• Love 11