Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Attic Girl

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

An ‘80s “mean girl” ghost named Stephanie, who died on her prom night, is awakened in the attic, triggering Sam to confront what happened on her own prom night. Also, Alberta discovers she has another special gift.

Original airdate 4/14/22

• Love 2

So what is with Trevor and Sam? The other ghosts seem to think he is romantically in love with her; that would be way too weird if they keep that story line up. Not loving that thought, I hope that resolves in a fun easy way, this show is not deep that's why it's fun.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2022 at 5:42 PM, enduringforce said:

So what is with Trevor and Sam? The other ghosts seem to think he is romantically in love with her; that would be way too weird if they keep that story line up. Not loving that thought, I hope that resolves in a fun easy way, this show is not deep that's why it's fun.

Trevor's not in love with Sam, he just thinks she's hot.  When he was alive, he had a persona where he was brash and aggressive, both in business and in his sex life.  He's just been keeping it up now that he's dead, but there are some cracks starting to show.  He's not a complete ass.  I don't think he's invaded Sam's privacy when in bed or the shower.  He seems to have left the other female ghosts alone.  He died with no pants because he was doing a good thing for a man who was being 'initiated' into the assholes-r-us business environment he was a part of, but told everyone he'd just had sex with the hot limo driver and was going back for more.  Then he died.  Oops.

Sam is the first living woman who could see and hear Trevor now that he's a ghost.  And she's not at all interested in him sexually or romatically.  She's been perfect for him as he keeps up his hard-driving business man horndog routine.  He keeps hitting on her, she keeps telling him to back off.  He's been showing off, trying to live up to his 'character'.

But, as I said, the cracks are starting to show.  Trevor put a lot of time and effort into finding and wooing Jay's sister, Bela, hoping that she'd somehow ignore the fact that they could never be a viable couple.  (Really, how could a living being have a satisfying long term romantic relationship when they were going to die someday and their love interest was a ghost who could hang around for hundreds of years or more?)  Bela wanted a living man she could touch, have sex with, marry, and have children with.  Trevor offered her a life of waiting for her to get home from work so they could send each other IM's.

The show seems to lean towards the often used myth that ghosts are the spirits of people who died with unfinished business.  I've got some ideas of what some of the ghosts need to finish, but I'm not sure about Trevor.

• Love 19

Trevor and Stephanie were born the same year but Trevor being horrified with a "teenager's" flirting is both sweet and hilarious.

I'm glad she didn't get sucked off. It will be fun if she makes an appearance once a year.

I noticed she was chewing gum. That's an interesting ghost thing.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 23

So as the Alexa whisperer, now Alberta knows what it's like to be Sam with all of them asking her to do stuff for them. Lol

I'm glad they apologized for the prank, they really got to know Sam and like her.

Trevor being unwilling to see Stephanie as anything other than a teenager even though they are the same age does show once again that his bro persona is an act. 

Aww at Thorfin awkwardly trying to ask Flower to dance. Why didn't they invite the British ghosts to the prom? If they were all there it wouldn't be just Issac and Nigel. 

Now we met the basement ghosts and the attic ghost, do we have any other places for ghosts to be? Is there a garage ghost or is that where Crash the headless ghost is. 

• Love 19

I must be in a really sensitive place tonight, because the ghosts being tricked into hurting Sam - someone they love and who loves them - actually made me cry.  It felt mean on a deeper level than just playing a trick on Sam.  Not that Stephanie would have any understanding of that.  But it made me sadder than it was probably intended to.

And that was *before* they said next week is the season finale.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

Weird, I kept getting a young Kirstie Alley vibe from Stephanie even though the two don't really resemble each other.  Maybe it was the slightly husky voice and the 80's hair.

Exact same impression. Unfortunately I can’t stand Kirstie Alley or gum chewing. I was wishing Hetty really did have the power to condemn people to hell. At least we won’t see her for another year as long as people stay out of the attic.

Isaac knew all about Hamilton the musical and his career from Trevor’s internet search, but he hadn’t learned how Hamilton died, and he had no commentary about Aaron Burr being the one to kill him?

The Alexa, Jay and Sam’s date, and Thor/Flower were great.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, cdnalor said:

Weird, I kept getting a young Kirstie Alley vibe from Stephanie even though the two don't really resemble each other.  Maybe it was the slightly husky voice and the 80's hair.

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out where I knew the actress playing Stephanie from-- she was on the sitcom "Fam" a few years back, which was also on Cbs, I think. I liked that show but it only lasted about half a season. She went by Odessa Adlon then ( her Mom is Pamela Adlon ) but now I see she's going by Odessa A' zion , although I have no idea why ? 

Did we even know she was in the attic all this time, have we ever seen her before ? If we have, I don't remember her at all ! I might have to rewatch some episodes maybe this summer, sometimes the jokes go by so fast that I miss some.

• Useful 6

Rebecca Wisocky as Hetty was able to convey her pride in her descendant's appearance with just a momentary glance at Sam making the stairway entrance dressed and coifed stylishly to the nines.
I'm surprised that I don't see Wisocky having won awards. Yet.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm glad she [Stephanie the Attic Girl Ghost] didn't get sucked off. It will be fun if she makes an appearance once a year.

I was dreading this episode, but kept reminding myself that this show will do it right. And now I agree. Stephanie can come back next year.
Actually, this was a great episode, even though parts were a bit painful.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Why didn't they invite the British ghosts to the prom? If they were all there it wouldn't be just Issac and Nigel. 

Isaac wasn't ready. Maybe next year? 🙂

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

Isaac knew all about Hamilton the musical and his career from Trevor’s internet search, but he hadn’t learned how Hamilton died, and he had no commentary about Aaron Burr being the one to kill him?

Alexa doesn't tell you who did the shooting. I think Isaac just likes hearing about bad things happening to his rival.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

So as the Alexa whisperer, now Alberta knows what it's like to be Sam with all of them asking her to do stuff for them. Lol

And if Sam wanted some more relief, she could attach the Alexa to an extra tv and let Alberta control what the ghosts watch.

1 hour ago, willco said:

She went by Odessa Adlon then ( her Mom is Pamela Adlon ) but now I see she's going by Odessa A' zion , although I have no idea why ? 

I see her birth name was "Odessa Zion Segall Adlon."  I guess she wants a different name from her famous mother, so attached the "A" from "Adlon" to her middle name of "Zion"?  Seems somewhat cumbersome.

1 hour ago, willco said:

Did we even know she was in the attic all this time, have we ever seen her before ?

No.  We've never seen the attic.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Did we even know she was in the attic all this time, have we ever seen her before ?

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

No.  We've never seen the attic.

Pete mentioned visiting it in Dinner Party.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Trevor and Stephanie were born the same year but Trevor being horrified with a "teenager's" flirting is both sweet and hilarious.

I'm glad she didn't get sucked off. It will be fun if she makes an appearance once a year.

I wanted Attic Girl DEAD permanently.  I absolutely hated her and she ruined the episode for me.  The worst episode 🤢 of a series that I love, but I will never watch this one again!!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I loved this episode. Kudos to the people who did Stephanie's hair and chose her dress. The music was also perfect. Alberta was the star of this episode I loved her using the Alexa. I was surprised that the Ghosts were so gullible when they were pranking Sam but they redeemed themselves by apologizing to Sam. The kiss was so romantic.

• Love 13

The moment when Hetty said "she'll have the worst prom ever" and then all the ghosts did this evil laugh was amazing🤣.

I'm sure there is a historical reason, but does someone know why Hetty had a problem with the band being irish?

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Harvey said:

The moment when Hetty said "she'll have the worst prom ever" and then all the ghosts did this evil laugh was amazing🤣.

I'm sure there is a historical reason, but does someone know why Hetty had a problem with the band being irish?

She just seems to have a thing with Irish people in general. I can't remember offhand if they mentioned a specific reason, though - I think it's just a general prejudice against them in her case.

I loved the bit talking about the possibility of getting sucked off at prom XD. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

Pete mentioned visiting it in Dinner Party.

But did we see it (the attic)? Pete obviously would have known Stephanie was there, but we didn't.

I am sorry I didn't clarify, ItCouldBeWorse. No, I don't think we have. I'm not sure if the ghosts ever mentioned her before, but yes, they clearly knew about her.

3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

[Hetty] just seems to have a thing with Irish people in general. I can't remember offhand if they mentioned a specific reason, though - I think it's just a general prejudice against them in her case.

The Irish were most definitely second class citizens in America in 1890

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

She just seems to have a thing with Irish people in general. I can't remember offhand if they mentioned a specific reason, though - I think it's just a general prejudice against them in her case.

You're probably correct because the Irish were treated horribly in general. But wouldn't it be funny if Hetty's issue is because an Irish person wronged her? Maybe her friend caused her death (gasp)?! Her violence towards all people and things Irish seem personal; she's not just merely turning up her nose.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Izzy85 said:

This was a great episode. I just love Jay so so much 🥰. He just goes with it, 🤷‍♀️. It's random, but my favorite moment was when he got excited when Sam told him Pete was there and then how bummed he got when she told him he had left, 😆 

I love this show so much, but I am a terrible fan. I rarely re-watch episodes. 
I keep forgetting that when Jay was possessed by Hetty, he met all the ghosts, even though these sweet little moments should remind me.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

In Hetty's case, being proud of her English background would give her historical reasons to believe loathing the Irish is the proper thing to do.
Also, at one point (The Irish Potato Famine) the Irish were the most recent poor immigrants to America, and then, as now, were used as the target of anger of other struggling Americans. Hetty is such a snob, that I am wondering if a later episode will reveal some humble beginnings for one of her parents, and that her airs of superiority over the Irish are the result of her own, personal suppressed feelings of social inferiority.

Digressing to the Alexa plot point:
Just based on my own observations, I think prejudice against the Irish may have waned a bit in the US with JFK's assassination in 1963 and his subsequent enshrinement in the American psyche as a beloved icon. Maybe now that Alberta can talk to Alexa, Alberta and Hetty will discover The History Channel and PBS, and Hetty will become a JFK fan, heh.

But I don't think JFK would be Isaac's type. 
Although I expect Isaac would also be a fan of historical documentaries on TV -- to a point. And speaking of prejudices: Not sure what Isaac would think of Ken Burns' Stonewall Uprising documentary. Maybe bring out the Kleenex?
With Alexa and Alberta and TV, there are a lot of potential expositionary short cuts for the ghosts to gain awareness of historical events outside their lifetimes.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I noticed she was chewing gum. That's an interesting ghost thing.

I guess if it was in her mouth when she died it would have to stay there.  Wonder if it's kept its flavor?

• LOL 18
  • Love 2

I looked up Odessa A'zion and she's only 22. I thought she looked closer to 30! What the hell was her reasoning for being a Mean Girl? She woke up nasty. (Maybe if they'd let her sleep til April...)

And Jay is the BEST. It really says something about the way TV shows are made now that the woman with the special talent (like Sam in Bewitched) is not subservient to her husband and that they are real partners. And that he is not afraid of her talent, but just goes with the flow. I don't think the show should, or would, put their relationship in danger. 

Oh, proms. The theme for mine was "We may never pass this way again..."

• Love 15

Initially annoyed by a couple things this episode- why would Stephanie sleep all year - that's alot even for a teenager. And Isaac knew about Hamilton, right? That's been common knowledge for 200 years, and if you didn't know, the play Hamilton certainly mentioned it!

I know Trevor is getting lots of props here for his restraint with Stephanie, but a hot older-than-her-years contemporary that doesn't hang around much and likes you? Come on Trevor, death is long...

But then everything was saved with the "Kiss Me" scene. How does this show keep doing that?

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, highway61 said:

I know Trevor is getting lots of props here for his restraint with Stephanie, but a hot older-than-her-years contemporary that doesn't hang around much and likes you? Come on Trevor, death is long...

I got the impression that Stephanie was not Trevor's type, and, in true Trevor form, he made up a story rather than admitting the truth that he was not the kind of guy to have sex with someone he didn't sincerely care for.

ETA: I think Stephanie scares Trevor, lol.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 15
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I keep forgetting that when Jay was possessed by Hetty, he met all the ghosts, even though these sweet little moments should remind me.

Technically he didn't, though. When Hetty took over Jay, she was panicking about not being able to see or hear the ghosts anymore when she was in control of his body.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Technically he didn't, though. When Hetty took over Jay, she was panicking about not being able to see or hear the ghosts anymore when she was in control of his body.

Right, but Jay in Hetty's body did see the ghosts, right? Or am I mis-remembering?

• Love 2

Jay was never in Hetty's body? Unless I'm completely forgetting an episode, lol. Hetty was trapped in Jay's body and neither one of them could see or hear the ghosts while it was happening. It was only after Hetty got thrown from Jay's body at the ghost barrier that the other ghosts became visible to her again. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Hetty was trapped in Jay's body and neither one of them could see or hear the ghosts while it was happening.

Hetty wasn't trapped. She aggressively possessed Jay. Neither could see the other ghosts.

Edited by basil
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

What the hell was her reasoning for being a Mean Girl? She woke up nasty. (Maybe if they'd let her sleep til April...)

The ghosts seemed to think she was mean every year. I think she was probably a mean girl before she died, so she still was.  She may have been a ghost for night on 40 years, but she's only awake one day of it. Not a lot of time for character growth.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, basil said:

Hetty wasn't trapped. She aggressively possessed Jay. Neither could see the other ghosts.

shapeshifter’s homework for this weekend:   
Rewatch the possession episode.   
And maybe a few other episodes. 🙃

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I guess if it was in her mouth when she died it would have to stay there.  Wonder if it's kept its flavor?

Which means she was chewing gum while making out with her boyfriend.  ewww...

Speaking of...  what happened to the boyfriend?  Did he get sucked off immediately?  Did he run off the property before getting chain sawed to death, so he's a ghost but living next door? 

I liked the Stephanie/Trevor bits.  Here's my take on Trevor:  He'd been keeping up a dude-bro image until the pants episode.  I think when Sam & Jay first moved in he genuinely had the hots for Sam, but was also just being bro-ish about it.  I think that's progressed to being just a crush, and that's what we saw in this episode with her coming down the stairs.  Stephanie is not his type, so he uses the "you're 16" excuse to brush her off.

Overall, not my favorite episode, just because I didn't think Stephanie really brought anything to the table.  I love Alberta's new power with Alexa.  And for getting a guest in a week, yet they're still stripping wallpaper?  Damn, they've got a lot of work to do! 

• Love 14
1 minute ago, chaifan said:

Speaking of...  what happened to the boyfriend?  Did he get sucked off immediately?  Did he run off the property before getting chain sawed to death, so he's a ghost but living next door? 

I assume he didn't stick around, but went to his final destination.  Either that, or it's a case of you don't need to be able to outrun the chainsaw murderer, you just need to be able to outrun your prom date.

2 minutes ago, chaifan said:

And for getting a guest in a week, yet they're still stripping wallpaper?  Damn, they've got a lot of work to do! 

And, yet they took time out to decoarate for a ghost prom.

• LOL 13
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I assume he didn't stick around, but went to his final destination. 

Nope.  Can't buy this one.  There isn't a 16 year old boy in the world that doesn't have unresolved issues.  😁

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Either that, or it's a case of you don't need to be able to outrun the chainsaw murderer, you just need to be able to outrun your prom date.

OMG!  That's hilarious! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, basil said:

Could she have chosen to leave his body? I thought she was trapped but decided to use the situation to do what she wanted never minding what was best for Jay. Regardless, standing behind him under the guise of “supervising” was really funny. It was a nice callback.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

"Getting sucked off at prom?  I suppose it could happen."  I laughed so hard at that one.

Good episode, but neither Sam nor Jay went into the attic since they bought the place?

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

"Sucked off at prom? Well, anything is possible." 

Such a great episode, I love 80s mean girl Stephanie and the ghost prom. Poor Sam, I felt so bad for her in the past and then Stephanie getting the ghosts to pull that prank on her. Sam is such a lovely person, it took a lot of maturity and empathy to still give Stephanie a prom and even decorating her room. Hopefully they have another prom next year, maybe Isaac will even have a date! Loved Thor awkwardly asking Flower to dance, Alberta and Pete dancing, and Trevor being totally squicked out by Stephanie hitting on him, even though they are technically the same age. 

I would love to watch Isaac watch Hamilton on Disney+, has anyone told him that Aaron Burr was the guy who shot his hated rival? I bet his thoughts on him are hilarious. 

Aww Jay asking Sam to prom was so sweet, and he looked great in that tux. The two of them are so cute, I continue to love how Jay just rolls with all of the hijinks that go on.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14

I think it would be hilarious for Alberta to be always asking Alexa to play the score from Hamilton, or for the ghosts to watch it on TV, and then have all them have the "my name is Alexander Hamilton..." tune stuck in their heads, and keep humming/singing it, which would annoy Issac to no end!  But, I'm guessing there would be royalties to pay for the use of the music, so that's a no go. 

Attic:  From the outside shots, it's a damn big attic.  So it's possible that Sam was in parts of it, but just not where Stephanie was sleeping.  But then, how did she know the blankets were there?  Of course, if I moved into a big giant house and had no money to pay for anything, I'd be searching through the attic for antiques, lost copies of the Constitution, more robber baron watches, etc. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

I loved how Stephanie was killed in the classic 1980s slasher movie trope. "That mental institution is a mile away!" "Yeah, what's he gonna do, kill two teenagers making out in a car? That's not a thing." Chainsaw murdered. LOL. 

Stephanie was awful, but the show just nailed that hair and the prom dress. It was hilarious. I don't really get why she'd only be awake one night of the year, but whatever. 

"What the h-e-c-k, Stephanie?" LOL Pete actually has to spell out the word "heck."

It sort of makes sense that Alberta can communicate with Alexa because her power is that her voice can be heard. Then again, up 'til now it's only a humming sound rather than words, but maybe the device somehow picks up just the right frequency or whatever.

Nice callback to Hetty's possession of Jay while he's working on Alexa.

Good episode, but neither Sam nor Jay went into the attic since they bought the place?

Her bed was hidden behind a pile of boxes, it's entirely possible Sam was up there and didn't look behind them. Jay, of course, would not have been able to see her anyway.

I can't decide if this was in character for him or not. HIs bro-dude persona isn't entirely an act. He has a soft side but he has a douchey side too. (I think it's hilarious when he makes that "T-Money" sign with his hands; the same hand signal for "time-out".) I'm not sure he'd really be bothered by the age difference. But I do agree with shapeshifter's post - I think Stephanie kind of scares him. I mean, she's awful. That might be just enough to put him off.

• Love 19

Regarding Stephanie's prom date: if he's dead, maybe he got sucked off because he didn't see the chainsaw killer coming like Stephanie did. It was just BAM! Gone!

If he's alive, maybe one of Stephanie's unresolved issue is she want the chance to say "I told you so." She was worried about the radio announcement but he wasn't. Mean girls love saying "I told you so." 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Maybe Stephanie's prom date is asleep in the stables or something, and he and Stephanie have different "awakening" schedules.  They're both teens, right?  Both needing allllllll the sleep.  (Gawd, do I remember those glorious days, sleeping in forever on a Saturday....)  So it would crack me up if later in the year, the tuxedo'd date pops into the kitchen lured by the smell of food and startles Sam.  Then the other ghosts are all like, "Oh yeah, that's Stephanie's prom date.  Didn't we tell you about him?"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9