Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E06: Wicked Game

• Start Topic

Airing April 14, 2022:

When a young man is found dead of an apparent overdose, Dixon fiercely pursues a homicide investigation as an old unsolved case comes back to haunt her. Price and Maroun risk putting a witness in harm’s way to expose their suspect and reveal the monster underneath.

• Useful 3

Nicely done slipping your card to the brother on the way out of the house, Bernard. Very smooth. That's the kind of small moment that I loved during the 90s seasons.

What real life case was this based on?

Bernard and Frank have a conversation with the Senator and his lawyer around a random table along the river. You know what would make a fun show? Focusing on the people across the river, around the corner, etc., who absolutely are watching these interactions and wondering why they chose this spot of all places. 

We knew Kyle was bad because he kept saying The Help.

I like the actor who played Andre. Question: even if the parole officer refuses to budge is there really nothing the DA's office can do with regard to his concern about going back to jail? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I like the actor who played Andre. Question: even if the parole officer refuses to budge is there really nothing the DA's office can do with regard to his concern about going back to jail? 

Yeah, I thought the DA's office would give him immunity. We see it done so many times in the past where the DA won't prosecute if he tells the truth in a murder trial or they will go to the parole board and say how helpful he was. Why are they making it look like the Board will deem him a a repeat offender and take away his parole?  Are they just over dramatizing this?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, dttruman said:

Glad to see Dixon as a "Bad Ass"! Is it me, or did the parents of the victim come out of the late 1980's or early 1990's?

If only but sadly, that kind of thing still happens. 

48 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

What real life case was this based on?

It took me a bit before I recognized the case but it's based on this case. And this is the kind of ripped from the headlines I like because it wasn't blatantly obvious for me until they focused on the perp. 

36 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Yeah, I thought the DA's office would give him immunity. 

The issue wasn't that the prosecutors were going to prosecute him for admitting to having done drugs; the issue was that doing drugs or being caught with drugs would violate his parole and he could be sent back to complete his full sentence.  Immunity would only prevent an additional charge.  But I believe the judge gets the final say and even of the parole officer is a jerk, I have a hard time believing the DAs office getting behind the parolee wouldn't hold some sway. 

I though the ep was pretty good but the legal side of it was a little underdeveloped. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:
2 hours ago, dttruman said:

Glad to see Dixon as a "Bad Ass"! Is it me, or did the parents of the victim come out of the late 1980's or early 1990's?

I thought the victims parents were dressed like the Huxtables from "The Cosby Show".

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Why are they making it look like the Board will deem him a a repeat offender and take away his parole? 

CM said the parole officer was being a hard-ass and refused to reconsider. Then at the show's end she said she was going to the parole board herself.

Not really a big CM fan, but she was effing awesome at the beginning when dealing with those 2 creeps!

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

CM said the parole officer was being a hard-ass and refused to reconsider. Then at the show's end she said she was going to the parole board herself.

I wonder if the Parole Officer (PO) has it in for him. "Door County Cherry" made a good point about the judge has the final say, but I think a "good word" from McCoy will sway the judge and the PO will have to go along with it.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

It took me a bit before I recognized the case but it's based on this case. And this is the kind of ripped from the headlines I like because it wasn't blatantly obvious for me until they focused on the perp. 

Horrible. The episode stayed pretty true to the original. Again, I'm surprised they didn't use an alternate disclaimer at the beginning, acknowledging it was ripped from the headlines, like: 

13 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

Not really a big CM fan, but she was effing awesome at the beginning when dealing with those 2 creeps!

Agreed. I love the way that scene was written. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Really strong case and an evil villain, but aside from his outburst at the verdict he wasn’t over the top.

Currie Graham has playing sleaze down to a science. He was so well fitted for this villainous role.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
23 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

This episode was the best of the season 21 by a mile - for the first time there were no major flaws, everything felt cohesive and tightly written - each character got a nice role, the case was compelling and suspenseful, and this episode had a lot of what I wanted with the show.

Really strong case and an evil villain, but aside from his outburst at the verdict he wasn’t over the top. Both the investigation and legal stuff were well done, the investigation had good stuff and I liked the legal maneuvering as well, it flowed really well from start to finish. For the first time I felt suspense over the verdict, I could’ve seen it going either way, both Price and the defense attorney were strong and did their jobs well and I was glad the smug prick was found guilty and I liked Dixon staring him down as he was led away.

It was really nice to see them flesh out Dixon, have an episode where she took on a heavier role, talked to witnesses, talked to the DA’s, and we got to see more of her character, she was strong and it was nice seeing her fleshed out. I loved having scenes between her and the DA’s, and they were well done, two separate but equally important groups, not one side bossing around the other. 

I loved seeing the detectives visit the morgue and talk to an ME, that felt like classic L&O! Cosgrove and Bernard are making for a solid partnership, after some uneven writing for them at the start they are gelling well.

Jack was awesome as usual, he sounded good this week and I liked his disgust with Swanson and his advice to Nolan, it’s a treat to have Jack back on our screens and I love seeing him give words of wisdom to his people. He won’t get a lot of screen time but his scenes are always a highlight.

The victims parents were out of the 1950’s as Cosgrove said, and I liked the dialogue between Cosgrove and Bernard after that, not to start a political debate but it felt much more like an authentic dialogue between detectives about social issues than the super enlightened speak of St Olivia and her minions on SVU.

Did anyone notice, on the wall in the DA’s office, the names of Cutter and Rubirosa!! A great Easter Egg for L&O fans, it said Chief ADA Michael Cutter and Executive ADA Connie Rubirosa, that was great, so apparently Rubirosa is now a lead prosecutor in the office and Cutter is the second in command to Jack!! I am wondering if anyone else caught that!!

Overall the best episode of the season without a doubt - strong case, strong investigation, strong legal stuff, good roles for each character and no major flaws. Truly felt like classic L&O!!

Agree best episode by far.  What a case and such an evil villain.

also, liked how they gave  the backstory on Dixon’s victim from two years ago and how it affected her.

I thought the victims parents were dressed like the Huxtables from "The Cosby Show".

Agree and the emotionless of the Dad goodness. 

• Love 11

I also thought it was the best episode of the season, primarily because Camyrn Manheim finally got passed the ball and got something to do. And boy she ran with it. For once I wasn't missing Van Buren.

So Kate and Frank have known each other for seven years. I think they worked together before their current assignments. It sounds like Kate was still working cases as a detective two years ago. I also caught that she called Frank at the beginning to tell him they had a murder and not Bernard, who I assume is lead detective.  I don't know how much any of that really means anything. It's just sorta interesting. And boy Swanson had that creepy vibe and look in spades. I'm surprised anyone would go near him.

Nice to see Jack Noseworthy is still around.  I always gave him props for not changing his name. You know there had to be a ton of  people telling him he needed to change it.

Edited by vb68
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Camryn Manheim really did great tonight. Nice to see Dixon as more than a talking head, and some insight into her past with Cosgrove.

And, yes, count me in as one who was glad to not recognize straight away just what this episode was based upon. Huge improvement there, IMO.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Really strong case and an evil villain, but aside from his outburst at the verdict he wasn’t over the top. Both the investigation and legal stuff were well done, the investigation had good stuff and I liked the legal maneuvering as well, it flowed really well from start to finish. For the first time I felt suspense over the verdict, I could’ve seen it going either way, both Price and the defense attorney were strong and did their jobs well and I was glad the smug prick was found guilty and I liked Dixon staring him down as he was led away.

Going by some of the previous trials, I didn't know what to expect from this jury, but I am glad the way this one turned out. Dixon reminded me of Cragen and his "hands on" approach to certain cases. Nothing extreme or out of the ordinary "like some lady captain that we might be familiar with". If they show an episode like this once or twice a season, Dixon will probably be bumped up to captain naturally and deservedly, not forced  "like some lady captain that we might be familiar with".

5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Did anyone notice, on the wall in the DA’s office, the names of Cutter and Rubirosa!! A great Easter Egg for L&O fans, it said Chief ADA Michael Cutter and Executive ADA Connie Rubirosa, that was great, so apparently Rubirosa is now a lead prosecutor in the office and Cutter is the second in command to Jack!! I am wondering if anyone else caught that!!

Damn! I didn't catch that, and I didn't record it either. Now I got to wait around for it's rerun, but this time I will record it. I hope they come up with a special episode with both those characters, nothing elaborate, but if they did that would be great!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

Nice to see Jack Noseworthy is still around.  I always gave him props for not changing his name. You know there had to be a ton of  people telling him he needed to change it.

I remember him from the Brady Bunch Movie (the first one)! "Do it and Die, Dittmeyer"

• Love 1
6 hours ago, vb68 said:

Cousin Jeremy from SVU's "Escape"!

Speaking of SVU, we just had to laugh when Michael Beach showed up as the defense attorney.  

Wonder if if Andy Abbot is A) out of prison; B) survived his HIV infection; and C) has had his law license reinstated!

• Love 7
7 hours ago, preeya said:

Currie Graham has playing sleaze down to a science. He was so well fitted for this villainous role.

But I adored him so much as Walter Mashburn in "The Mentalist."  LOL

I would really appreciate it if y'all would stop making reference to St. Olivia & SVU. It's an icky show; I've watched maybe 2 or 3 episodes, will not EVER watch again and I really hate it when it slops over into MY L&O forum.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Does that mean they might make cameo appearances on the show? I wonder. That could be cool. Or it could be over-played in the media to raise ratings but ultimately just annoy fans who would be disappointed by a 10 second, one line appearance of either the characters of Cutter or Rubirosa.
IDK. Maybe if it was revealed in those 10 seconds that they're married now, the fans would be happy.
Like maybe we see Jack talking to Connie about the case and then Mike pops his head in the door to say something like: The stew in the Insta Pot should be done by 7. See you later. [quick smooch goodbye] 
For now, I'm going to continue to pretend that Connie and Lupo are working at the FBI. Heh.

9 hours ago, preeya said:

Even when Currie Graham played a nice, rich guy friend of Nathan Fillion in the first season of The Rookie, I still kept expecting him to turn out to be evil, heh. 
So it was a good use of Currie Graham here with his character of Swanson being revealed almost immediately to be a slime bag.
But maybe if the show continues for another year or more, Currie Graham can come back as a different character red herring who it turns out is not evil. Maybe he can have a mustache to differentiate the new character from Swanson, heh. 
At this point in Currie Graham's career he'd make an excellent red herring who might turn out to be a hero and/or an innocent victim for an extra twisty plot twist.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Where in the episode was that? I doubt we'll be seeing Rubirosa due to Alana de la Garza's commitment to FBI, but maybe an appearance by Cutter/Linus Roache is within the realm of possibility?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I though the ep was pretty good but the legal side of it was a little underdeveloped. 

The entire show is a bit underbaked, IMO. They could remove a twist and use that time to develop both the case and the prosecution a bit more. For instance, in this episode, the senator was mostly a red herring; his big contribution was that Currie Graham's character had an afterparty. That didn't need a second scene to get to.

11 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I was disappointed Nolan didn't go with her, or at least say he'd send someone from his office to meet her there.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

Where in the episode was that? I doubt we'll be seeing Rubirosa due to Alana de la Garza's commitment to FBI, but maybe an appearance by Cutter/Linus Roache is within the realm of possibility?

Rubirosa moved to LA and was an ADA on L&O LA but I guess we're pretending that never happened or she could have moved back to New York. On L&O LA she said she moved because she wanted to take care of her mother. Maybe her mother died and so she went back to New York. Obviously, I'm overthinking this. And we did see Cutter on SVU a couple times, so we knew he was still in the DA's office. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

What is the Chief ADA?  Is that something new - wasn't McCoy "only' the executive ADA back in the day?  And I totally missed it too and deleted the recording!  Dang!

In the early seasons, I remember title cards saying "Office of Chief Assistant District Attorney Benjamin Stone". 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

Rubirosa moved to LA and was an ADA on L&O LA but I guess we're pretending that never happened or she could have moved back to New York. On L&O LA she said she moved because she wanted to take care of her mother. Maybe her mother died and so she went back to New York. Obviously, I'm overthinking this. And we did see Cutter on SVU a couple times, so we knew he was still in the DA's office. 

Connie made a cameo on SVU as a federal prosecutor in NYC, so she did move back there after her stint on LA. Jack must’ve hired her back to the DA’s office at some point and she’s now a lead prosecutor/EADA. 

1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

What is the Chief ADA?  Is that something new - wasn't McCoy "only' the executive ADA back in the day?  And I totally missed it too and deleted the recording!  Dang!

I think the Chief ADA is the second in command to the DA, so more of an administrative role, at least that’s how I think it works. So I thought that was very cool.

I could see Cutter appearing at some point, and maybe Cutter will be Jack’s successor as DA whenever Jack retires, who knows when that will be or how long the show will last but I loved seeing Cutter’s and Rubirosa’s names on the wall letting us know they are with the DA’s office, that was a really nice Easter Egg for L&O fans.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The entire show is a bit underbaked, IMO. They could remove a twist and use that time to develop both the case and the prosecution a bit more. For instance, in this episode, the senator was mostly a red herring; his big contribution was that Currie Graham's character had an afterparty. That didn't need a second scene to get to.

I was disappointed Nolan didn't go with her, or at least say he'd send someone from his office to meet her there.

Yeah - I wanted him to say "I'll go with you"  

56 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

In the early seasons, I remember title cards saying "Office of Chief Assistant District Attorney Benjamin Stone". 

thank you.....I think we're on the Stone episodes on WE or Sundance, I'll keep an eye out.  :) 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Is it standard now for Price to give an opening statement? I have only seen a couple of episodes and they only showed the prosecutor giving an opening statement and not the defense in one of them.

15 hours ago, preeya said:

That’s who it is! I’ve always called him “older evil Wil Wheaton.”

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The issue wasn't that the prosecutors were going to prosecute him for admitting to having done drugs; the issue was that doing drugs or being caught with drugs would violate his parole and he could be sent back to complete his full sentence.  Immunity would only prevent an additional charge.  But I believe the judge gets the final say and even of the parole officer is a jerk, I have a hard time believing the DAs office getting behind the parolee wouldn't hold some sway. 

No, the judge doesn’t get the final say.  That would be if he was on probation.  He’s on parole so the parole board makes the final decision, and if the parole officer wants him revoked, that’ll carry some weight.  But they’ll definitely take the position of the police and prosecutors into account.

• Useful 4

I liked that Dixon’s attachment to this case was about someone she encountered at work whose story stayed with her, not an off-the-job personal connection. It might seem like a subtle difference, but I think that keeps the stories grounded and avoids some of the soap opera of other shows.

• Love 21
On 4/15/2022 at 7:22 AM, Prairie Rose said:

staff.png.31d680574a5fdec11b671b3591b8d01b.png

• Useful 4
  • Love 17

OMG, why would someone shoot a corpse up with meth? What would be the point?

An orgy. In 2022? That's hilarious. You must really, really want to risk your life.

So is "Marcel Dupont" luggage the L&O version of Louis Vuitton?

Prescient "ripped from the headlines" timing by the show's producers. The person this episode was based on was sentenced to 30 years in prison on the very day this episode aired.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 4/14/2022 at 5:03 PM, dttruman said:

I believe it was, as Cosgrove said, "What is it, 1954?"

• Love 4
On 4/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, shapeshifter said:

Horrible. The episode stayed pretty true to the original. Again, I'm surprised they didn't use an alternate disclaimer at the beginning, acknowledging it was ripped from the headlines, like: 

Agreed. I love the way that scene was written. 

Agreed, but I am a CM fan and loved seeing her out on the street -- bad ass!

• Love 3
On 4/14/2022 at 8:15 PM, Xeliou66 said:

This episode was the best of the season 21 by a mile - for the first time there were no major flaws, everything felt cohesive and tightly written - each character got a nice role, the case was compelling and suspenseful, and this episode had a lot of what I wanted with the show.

It was really nice to see them flesh out Dixon, have an episode where she took on a heavier role, talked to witnesses, talked to the DA’s, and we got to see more of her character, she was strong and it was nice seeing her fleshed out. I loved having scenes between her and the DA’s, and they were well done, two separate but equally important groups, not one side bossing around the other. 

I loved seeing the detectives visit the morgue and talk to an ME, that felt like classic L&O! Cosgrove and Bernard are making for a solid partnership, after some uneven writing for them at the start they are gelling well.

Jack was awesome as usual, he sounded good this week and I liked his disgust with Swanson and his advice to Nolan, it’s a treat to have Jack back on our screens and I love seeing him give words of wisdom to his people. He won’t get a lot of screen time but his scenes are always a highlight.

The victims parents were out of the 1950’s as Cosgrove said, and I liked the dialogue between Cosgrove and Bernard after that, not to start a political debate but it felt much more like an authentic dialogue between detectives about social issues than the super enlightened speak of St Olivia and her minions on SVU.

Overall the best episode of the season without a doubt - strong case, strong investigation, strong legal stuff, good roles for each character and no major flaws. Truly felt like classic L&O!!

I wish I could give you nine more Likes on this post.

No I didn't notice, but am going to rewatch this again and will look out for the Easter Egg!

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, 853fisher said:

I liked that Dixon’s attachment to this case was about someone she encountered at work whose story stayed with her, not an off-the-job personal connection. It might seem like a subtle difference, but I think that keeps the stories grounded and avoids some of the soap opera of other shows.

ITA with this.  The connection with Dixon having the victim being part of her career past and she remembered him with compassion, also furthered my initial compassion for the "bare-assed dead man" as being a complete person with a sad situation that led to his death.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:
On 4/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, dttruman said:

I believe it was, as Cosgrove said, "What is it, 1954?"

I thought that was out of place (not disrespectful) of Cosgrove to say that. Cosgrove is a character that was probably born in the 60's or 70's, so what would make him say something like that? Unless in the dialogue, he said something like, "My dad told me about those times back in the 50's" and then so on.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:30 AM, mojito said:

staff.png.31d680574a5fdec11b671b3591b8d01b.png

I am a little confused, I thought Price was an Executive ADA.  I'm assuming there is more than one EADA, but how come his name isn't up on that board?  Is there room to only list three offices?  It seems to me that his office is in the same floor/area as McCoy's.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I am a little confused, I thought Price was an Executive ADA.  I'm assuming there is more than one EADA, but how come his name isn't up on that board?  Is there room to only list three offices?  It seems to me that his office is in the same floor/area as McCoy's.

Yeah, he does answer to McCoy. Good point!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, dttruman said:

I thought that was out of place (not disrespectful) of Cosgrove to say that. Cosgrove is a character that was probably born in the 60's or 70's, so what would make him say something like that? Unless in the dialogue, he said something like, "My dad told me about those times back in the 50's" and then so on.

I don't see anything wrong with that.  I don't think it's beyond reason for someone to talk about a time period that they weren't alive for.  I think he is in his early 50s so he wasn't alive in 1954, but he could have learned about the 1950s as a particularly intolerant time for gay people.  Just the same as how I could say "what is this, the 1800s" if someone expressed a belief that an Irish Catholic cannot become President.  Just because I wasn't alive in the 1800s doesn't have to mean that I don't know that there was discrimination towards the Irish in this country in the late 1800s.

• Love 11

Wouldn’t the parole officer have already  been aware of Andre’s drug use via drug testing or the fact that he was  in the hospital for six days due to an overuse?  After all it is that event that he was testifying about.  
Plus Andre told the parole officer in preparation for testifying, which means the parole officer would have  marked him in violation right then instead of waiting to see if he would testify.  If he was such a hard line parole officer  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, mythoughtis said:

Wouldn’t the parole officer have already  been aware of Andre’s drug use via drug testing or the fact that he was  in the hospital for six days due to an overuse?  After all it is that event that he was testifying about.  
Plus Andre told the parole officer in preparation for testifying, which means the parole officer would have  marked him in violation right then instead of waiting to see if he would testify.  If he was such a hard line parole officer  

I don't think Price or Maroun would leave Andre hanging since he testified. I am sure they got McCoy to go to the judge and assign a new Parole Officer to Andre with a stipulation he would stay clean

• Useful 4

I liked this one. It was a bit contrived with how both witnesses had issues but I get they had to or otherwise it would have been a slam dunk. I was pretty sure it was going to be revealed the first witness was paid off to run away. Not sure how the defense can just say “he only disposed of the body” and not think it still doesn’t sound suspicious. 

I also found it hard to believe if Jack McCoy spoke to the parole board that it wouldn’t have made a difference.

And it was cool seeing Jack Noseworthy again. Haven’t seen him since the 90s. 

Edited by Samsnee
  • Love 6

Just watched it. Totally enjoyed it. This episode reminded me of the original L&O series X2. I love it anytime McCoy acts like his old self & cusses out like “nail the bastard” or “let’s get this SOB” 😂

Is it just me, or does anyone else find  Maroun 100% gorgeous ? 😍

• Love 7
2 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Yes, Maroun/Odelya Halevi is gorgeous, as was Connie/Alana de la Garza, who still does look gorgeous on FBI.

I guess we could say the L&O casting department has a “type” for the role of female ADA.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
10 hours ago, MountaineerBro10 said:

Yes, Maroun/Odelya Halevi is gorgeous, as was Connie/Alana de la Garza, who still does look gorgeous on FBI.

I guess we could say the L&O casting department has a “type” for the role of female ADA.

Here is one for you. Does she look better with her down or with it up (as in a "bun") like a Librarian?

On 4/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, GiandujaPie said:

You hit my Angeleno pet peeve, Ms Rubirosa was a Deputy DA in Los Angeles County, same job but different title. Around the time of The Closer and Major Crimes, no doubt influenced by Law & Order's influence you started to hear "DDA" but never before as it was always Deputy DA. Then later referenced as an Assistant US Attorney (AUSA) on SVU when she returned to New York.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 9:17 PM, shapeshifter said:

The casting department for all L&O franchises have always had connections in the New York Justice Systems Doll Squad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3