Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Road Trippin’

• Start Topic

Tensions at Grey Sloan Memorial rise as the effects of the physician shortage begin to show; Meredith struggles to step away from work as she spends a sick day at home with Zola; the hospital receives an unexpected visitor.

Where was this person before? They are trying to shut down the programme now? like lady you are like 8 seasons+ too late.  (hell where were you when Izzy cut the LVAD and everyone was basically okay with it?) But quite frankly, just videotape the surgery and have them watch it later. I get it's a teaching hospital, but if there are actual surgeries to do - that should be the priority, should it not? and quite frankly, that yell by Owen seemed to be directed to everyone

This hospital is so damned incestuous Quite frankly i think Bailey sucks at her job, and never should have had it. Webber is pouting that Minnick Method isn't working and now Owen is getting yelled at for having it in the hospital but i mean..... its's been done because everyone wanted Eliza Minnick in THEIR hospital, and it had been a coup to get her, and they were mad at Webber for being anti Minnick so why is it bad now because Levi broke the rules?

whatever show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

If Schmidt was the one that filed the complaint against the resident program, I take back everything bad I said about him. 

Why does Meredith have a pack-and-play in her living room? Do Amelia and Scout live there?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Is someone actually investigating this hospital? I forgot to watch and didn't realize until almost halfway through. I kept seeing ads for Ghosts and I wanted to find out Trevor lost his pants.

I don't even normally watch Ghosts... 

Eh, guess I'll watch on demand tomorrow.

• LOL 5

Another dull episode.  

I’m not sure how old Zola it, but clearly old enough to not want to leave her friends and family to move to Minnesota.    Also, her and Meredith wondering why they don’t spend more time to….seriously?

Maybe the investigation will be interesting… of course, we already know the outcome…

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If Schmidt was the one that filed the complaint against the resident program, I take back everything bad I said about him. 

Why does Meredith have a pack-and-play in her living room? Do Amelia and Scout live there?

I think Amelia does live at Meredith's house. She did before she and Linc broke up and they haven't mentioned her moving.

It sounded like lots of people complained about the resident program, which is pretty interesting from what we've seen of the residents.

• Love 5

What’s going on with Meredith now? Is Ellen getting paid millions to stand around doing nothing now? I wonder who complained about the residency program. I don’t think the program is that bad but most of the residents aren’t that good.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Is someone actually investigating this hospital? I forgot to watch and didn't realize until almost halfway through. I kept seeing ads for Ghosts and I wanted to find out Trevor lost his pants.

I don't even normally watch Ghosts... 

Eh, guess I'll watch on demand tomorrow.

*Gasp* [/Isaac]

I love Ghosts. Found tonight's Grey's dull. I did get a laugh out of the girl's father saying Brazilians love to hug. I'm married to one, with a lot of Brazilian in-laws. They do. 🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

So Owen yelled at the residents and kicked them out of the surgery and then all the attendings came in and watched instead. No wonder there are complaints about the program.

Bailey is not a good Chief. (And water is wet.)  When someone official-looking comes asking for the Chief of Surgery, you step up and announce yourself, not send her to the temp-of-the-day.

Webber just decided that he wasn't going to do any more surgeries until after he's examined. But isn't he responsible for finding someone else to take over the surgeries he was scheduled to do? When my friend who is a clerk in a store wants to take off, she's responsible for finding someone to cover her shifts.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

How else is Meredith going to get live-in babysitting?

Meredith and Zola talking about how nice it is that they're both sick together so they can spend time together says volumes about Meredith's parenting.

• Love 11
(edited)

I thought this episode was not annoying. Which is actually a positive these days. 

Don't these people know Owen well enough to know that he will always say no to things? He's oppositional.

When that preview for the 10 p.m. show came on, the one that takes place in Montana, I think,  they said something about a bomb. I don't watch that show, but I do see the previews on Grey's. It usually has horses. How is there a bomb with the horses? I am so confused. (But I'm not going to watch it.)

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

When that preview for the 10 p.m. show came on, the one that takes place in Montana, I think,  they said something about a bomb. I don't watch that show, but I do see the previews on Grey's, it usually has horses. How is there a bomb with the horses? I am so confused. (But I'm not going to watch it.)

There was no bomb or horses in tonight's episode of Big Sky. There was a bomb an episode or two ago, it's a crime/detective show with a pretty high body count. 

5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

So Owen yelled at the residents and kicked them out of the surgery and then all the attendings came in and watched instead. No wonder there are complaints about the program.

Bailey is not a good Chief. (And water is wet.)  When someone official-looking comes asking for the Chief of Surgery, you step up and announce yourself, not send her to the temp-of-the-day.

Webber just decided that he wasn't going to do any more surgeries until after he's examined. But isn't he responsible for finding someone else to take over the surgeries he was scheduled to do? When my friend who is a clerk in a store wants to take off, she's responsible for finding someone to cover her shifts.

Bailey is a terrible chief, but she didn't know who that person was when she ignored her. For all she knew it was a sales person. But she could have asked who she was before passing him off to someone. However, Bailey is obnoxious like that.

At Grey Sloane you can just never show up to work and keep your job. See also Meredith and Amelia constantly going to Minnesota all the time, Schmidt not immediately losing his job after he stopped showing up, Maggie disappearing for several episodes, Jackson going off to find himself a couple seasons ago, and plenty of other examples.

• Love 6

In real life, medical sales people make appointments before they show up. Not Winston's brother on this show though.

On The Resident earlier this week, Trevor has been MIA from his residency and Billie told him that he was going to lose his spot if he didn't start showing up for work.  I thought "You should be at Grey Sloane, they'll give you as much time off as you want and you don't even have to phone in to tell them you're taking time off."

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

There was no bomb or horses in tonight's episode of Big Sky. There was a bomb an episode or two ago, it's a crime/detective show with a pretty high body count. 

Thanks!! I must be confusing it with something else. 

Anyone else feel like this episode was a test run for Maggie stepping into the the titular “Grey” role, and Meredith as merely a recurring character? 

I didn’t mind this ep too much but it wasn’t really engaging. Seeing Owen fall back into his McScreamy role as chief was alright. I don’t like Jo but I somewhat like her paired with Skylar Astin’s character. (I also prefer her as an OBGYN resident, as she never seemed authentic as a surgeon.) And I’m okay with the investigation into the residency program. We already had Addison attempt to instill excellence into the residents earlier in the season. That didn’t take root, and we all know how successful the Webber method was(n’t). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

And yet another episode where Meredith is MIA from the hospital. This is essentially going on two years now.

It's really starting to feel like a Julianna  Margulies/Archie Panjabi situation. Though if that were the case I don't know why Ellen would sign on for another season. Has there been any gossip/reporting about this?

It's just inexplicable that a show would continually sideline its "star." I thought last year maybe she had demanded a limited set due to COVID, but this year she's in crowded scenes, just not at Grey Sloane.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That would actually be an interesting plot twist if Schmitt was the one who complained. Oh...and they could have past residents come back to testify, too.

Was it just me, or did Ellen seem really bad at pretending to be sick? When she got the call about why she wasn't at work, she sounded like a stereotypical person faking an illness to say they need the day off, like, "Oh, sorry [cough cough] boss, I'm [clears throat] sick, so I'll just have to [cough] stay home today." And why did she wait for them to call her?

And maybe this is also just me, but with Covid still around (yes, I know Grey's takes place in a "post-Covid world" or whatever), but it still feels weird that multiple plots (Maggie, Meredith/Zola) recently have centered around a respiratory/flu-like illness. Particularly considering, you know, that Meredith was in a coma last season. Maybe I missed it, but you'd think she at least could have referenced that like, "Oh, it's good to know this is just a cold, last time I had these symptoms, I almost died."

ETA: Oh, and you know who I did not miss at all in this episode? The Minnesota people, including Nick.

Edited by MarylandGirl
added comment on Minnesota
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
37 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

And maybe this is also just me, but with Covid still around (yes, I know Grey's takes place in a "post-Covid world" or whatever), but it still feels weird that multiple plots (Maggie, Meredith/Zola) recently have centered around a respiratory/flu-like illness. Particularly considering, you know, that Meredith was in a coma last season. Maybe I missed it, but you'd think she at least could have referenced that like, "Oh, it's good to know this is just a cold, last time I had these symptoms, I almost died."

Right? Zola and Mer being all cuddly on the couch without even a mention of taking a COVID test just bothered me especially given how we're told in this episode that Fernanda's family drove cross-country because it wasn't safe for her to fly. I understand the show maxxed out on COVID stories but it's still a hospital and even in a post-COVID world people are still getting COVID.

Winston's brother's little practical joke made me hate him right out the gate.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, marceline said:

t Fernanda's family drove cross-country because it wasn't safe for her to fly.

because of the air pressure on he heart. i think

• Love 3
11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

In real life, medical sales people make appointments before they show up. Not Winston's brother on this show though.

I would also think the person on the accreditation committee would also make an appointment to meet with Bailey and Webber to discuss something as important as complaints/shutting down their residency program but apparently she just wandered in.  🙄😄

Of course, Zola is so wonderful and special [I adore the actress, this is directed to how the character is written] she doesn't blink an eye about leaving her home/school/friends and moving to Minnesota... yeah, right.

• Love 9

I still don’t understand how there can be a shortage of surgeons specific to a hospital. 

In ,y experience unless you are admitted on an emergency basis, you make an appointment with a surgeon who has privileges at a hospital and you book an appointment for the actual surgery. You don’t go to the hospital and have some random surgeon perform the operation who happens to be available. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Pompeo has been only interested in collecting a pay check for several years and so long as the ratings are okay they will continue to do whatever is necessary to keep her around. I think she even has Executive Producer credit on Station 19 which is just a way of paying her additional money without upsetting the compensation scales that may be in place for other cast members.

• Love 11
(edited)
32 minutes ago, AzraeltheCat said:

I would also think the person on the accreditation committee would also make an appointment to meet with Bailey and Webber to discuss something as important as complaints/shutting down their residency program but apparently she just wandered in.  🙄😄

Of course, Zola is so wonderful and special [I adore the actress, this is directed to how the character is written] she doesn't blink an eye about leaving her home/school/friends and moving to Minnesota... yeah, right.

Big eye rolls from me on both points, too.  There is no way that accreditation person would just show up without an appointment.  Her time is valuable, and she wouldn't just wander in hoping the chief of surgery wasn't doing anything and might have time to meet with her.

Zola's attitude about moving was even more unbelievable.  First of all, there is no way a 12 year old would be all la-la-la about moving schools and leaving friends and starting over in a new city where they don't know anyone.  Even more to the point, Amelia and Maggie have always provided child care, and the kids hardly ever see their mother.  Who will take over child care duties in Minnesota?   Maybe they'll get Nick's niece, or whoever she is, to leave her dead-end boyfriend and force her to suddenly love children and being responsible for them 24/7 while Nick and Meredith visit his cabin whenever they aren't in the hospital.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, nightowl said:

And yet another episode where Meredith is MIA from the hospital. This is essentially going on two years now.

It's really starting to feel like a Julianna  Margulies/Archie Panjabi situation. Though if that were the case I don't know why Ellen would sign on for another season. Has there been any gossip/reporting about this?

It's just inexplicable that a show would continually sideline its "star." I thought last year maybe she had demanded a limited set due to COVID, but this year she's in crowded scenes, just not at Grey Sloane.

Yes. The title character of this show has now essentially become a reoccurring guest role...at least that's how it feels..but EP has a lot of power behind the scenes and I don't think she'd sign on for more seasons if she wasn't okay with the direction her character was going. I'm inclined to believe that this is some long, drawn out exit strategy for the character and that EP is totally here for it. Unfortunately, it's pretty much like watching paint dry for me.

• Love 4

agreed with others that this was dull

I could not see getting on to Owen for yelling at the residents to go do their jobs. You don't just opt to watch surgery if you are supposed to be assisting with another surgery. Can they not film this stuff? I don't see how you can see much of anything from that gallery anyway.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Meredith and Zola talking about how nice it is that they're both sick together so they can spend time together says volumes about Meredith's parenting.

Right?! If they were going for 'cute/sweet comment from the oldest child' the show missed the mark completely considering they've gone out of their way to show the Grey-Shepherd kids being raised by Amelia/Maggie/Link the last two years and not Meredith. I found it sad. 

This is heading more into 'get off my lawn, young kids' territory (and I'm in my thirties so...yeah :/) but - Zola was sick and she was on her iPad all day? 

• Love 4
(edited)

So where were Bailey and Ellis all day? Even if they were in school, they would get home some time and need dinner and supervision. Or maybe Linc was watching them since he didn't appear in this episode, He probably was also watching Luna while Jo was burning the midnight oil studying. Must be nice to have kids who can fend for themselves when you're busy doing something else.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So where were Bailey and Ellis all day? Even if they were in school, they would get home some time and need dinner and supervision. Or maybe Linc was watching them since he didn't appear in this episode, He probably was also watching Luna while Jo was burning the midnight oil studying. Must be nice to have kids who can fend for themselves when your busy doing something else.

Link had Scout, presumably, since Amelia was at work, in addition to Luna. As for the other Grey-Sloan kiddos, Link or the always-unseen nanny?

Maybe Webber watched Bailey and Ellis since he took a leave of absence from work?

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 2

Oh look, another episode where Ellen only needs to pop in for a day and film three scenes where she's mostly coughing or sitting down. She's real lucky to be a lead on a show and get to kick her feet up and relax for episodes on end. Seriously, I envy her! Good for her for being able to do as little as possible on this show.

I forgot how good Owen is as a Chief. Despite his own major blunder in season 8/season 9, Owen remains one of the best Chiefs this show has ever had. Him yelling at the residents was glorious, and he really does excel at the Chief job. Plus, when he makes mistakes, he learns. Chief Owen is the best Owen we ever get. Of course it was a bad day to choose to step in as Chief, as he had to deal with Resident Lady, and Winston's brother.

Todd and Jo work so well together. They're very cute, and it's a shame they probably won't be long-term.

I was just happy for an episode entirely based in Seattle.

Some ok pairings this episode, too. Jo/Teddy were surprisingly decent, and Bailey/Perez work well. 

Winston's brother? Hi Rome Flynn! I will say, he showed more personality here than he ever did on How To Get Away With Murder, and I'm mildly intrigued by Wendell and Winston, so...that's a plus. Winston's been fairly boring thus far so I guess family drama will shake things up for him!

Genuinely, not a bad episode, but it helped that there was no boring Minnesota plots, and we got to see...most of them be doctors, at least.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

At Grey Sloane you can just never show up to work and keep your job. See also Meredith and Amelia constantly going to Minnesota all the time, Schmidt not immediately losing his job after he stopped showing up, Maggie disappearing for several episodes, Jackson going off to find himself a couple seasons ago, and plenty of other examples.

I don't know how it works in the real world, but - except for Schmidt - they all probably have plenty of time to leave written into their contracts. In the beginning, and even still for some of them, they were all introduced as the best in their fields. Derek and Burke used to argue over who brought in the most millions of dollars. They are all so amazing that the patients seek them out. So I imagine that it's in their contracts that they are allowed to leave to go do other amazing things as ambassadors of the hospital. (Note that I'm only being 50% sarcastic here, about their amazingness. I believe the part about favorable contracts.)  Remember that Derek was allowed to go to DC a long time ago, just like Meredith and Amelia were allowed to go to Minnesota. The hospital apparently wants/needs these amazing surgeons so much that they can do whatever they want.  Maggie and Jackson probably used vacation time. 

Schmidt on the other hand, I dunno. Let him go. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, JeanJean said:

When that preview for the 10 p.m. show came on, the one that takes place in Montana, I think,  they said something about a bomb. I don't watch that show, but I do see the previews on Grey's. It usually has horses. How is there a bomb with the horses? I am so confused. (But I'm not going to watch it.)

16 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

15 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Thanks!! I must be confusing it with something else. 

There was a bomb in previouslies for Big Sky, though. But I'm pretty sure no horses or other animals have been harmed.  Just a metric crap-ton of humans.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I forgot how good Owen is as a Chief. Despite his own major blunder in season 8/season 9, Owen remains one of the best Chiefs this show has ever had. Him yelling at the residents was glorious, and he really does excel at the Chief job. Plus, when he makes mistakes, he learns. Chief Owen is the best Owen we ever get. Of course it was a bad day to choose to step in as Chief, as he had to deal with Resident Lady, and Winston's brother.

He and Alex were great chiefs. Honestly. Bailey is very much like Derek - she whinges how much she was MEANT to be chief, is chief then whinges that how much work there is to be Chief. And unlike Derek who had the sense to step down when he figured out how much he liked being operating over being the boss - Bailey has yet to do it

(and it still 18 seasons in irritates me that they STILL don't realize what a "chief of staff" is. i heard in a prior episode Webber declaring he's chief of chiefs and it just made me so irritated). 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't know how it works in the real world, but - except for Schmidt - they all probably have plenty of time to leave written into their contracts.

They might well have leave time written into their contracts -- with notice given as presumably Derek, Meredith and Amelia gave. You can't just decide one day that you're quitting your job, as McIrish did, or you don't want to work until someone has evaluated you just because you have the yips based on a residency program that the board approved but that you have lost faith in.  Professionals don't just walk out at a moment's notice without getting someone to cover for them.

Even the cleaning staff have to give 2 weeks notice to quit.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They said that it wasn't safe to go on a commercial flight so I assumed that it was because she was immunocompromised.

I thought it was like them banning very pregnant women….too high a chance of need medical attention while in the air.   If the kid’s heart had problems in the air, she would be dead before yet he could land.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, nightowl said:

It's really starting to feel like a Julianna  Margulies/Archie Panjabi situation. Though if that were the case I don't know why Ellen would sign on for another season. 

Lots and lots of money. Ellen has said she thought there were no stories left to tell and she keeps having money thrown at her.

5 hours ago, amarante said:

I still don’t understand how there can be a shortage of surgeons specific to a hospital. 

Because they let their staff spend half their time working elsewhere? 

• LOL 7

I couldn’t believe the accreditation lady being upset with Owen because the residents wanted to watch a surgery rather than attend to their own duties. Surely watching a rare surgery that they will likely never be involved with is not more important than their taking care of patients and/or assisting with scheduled surgeries. Are they supposed to just cancel all surgeries and patients so the residents can watch a surgery? I would also think her concerns would have been sent by mail with some kind of scheduled meeting set up where Bailey would have time to provide whatever documentation she has on the program.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

So where were Bailey and Ellis all day? Even if they were in school, they would get home some time and need dinner and supervision. Or maybe Linc was watching them since he didn't appear in this episode, He probably was also watching Luna while Jo was burning the midnight oil studying.

I guess Baily and Ellis were at school most of the day then who knows. Linc doesn't live at Meredith's so I don't see why he would be watching her kids. It was different when he and Amelia lived in the house,

Meredith barely having scenes doesn't bother me. Her storylines have been so dull and she phones it in for years now. I'd much rather the time go to anyone else.

The residency program being under scrutiny could be interesting but guessing it will be another dud. My guess is that The Sun will stay in Seattle to be the savior. Nick will move there & the ever agreeable Zola won't have to leave Amelia and Maggie who basically have raised her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

Lots and lots of money. Ellen has said she thought there were no stories left to tell and she keeps having money thrown at her.

Because they let their staff spend half their time working elsewhere? 

There is no shortage of surgeons at world class medical facilities. Surgeons don’t work for hospitals for the most part anyway. The issue for hospitals is if their operating rooms aren’t utilized to their fullest capacity because surgeons are choosing to operate at other hospitals  

There is a shortage of medical personnel but it is nursing staff and support staff which are in short supply. Even the best hospitals now have increased patient loads per nurse. There is a shortage of primary care doctors which is growing and a huge issue of adequate basic medical care in rural areas. Some people live an hour or more away from even a mediocre hospital. But as a story line p, a shortage of surgeons at a world class facility in a city like Seattle which is attractive to professionals of all kinds is ludicrous. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Okay, I'm finally watching. I'm with Owen on the "these people should be doing their damn jobs, not watching other people do theirs" train. Lady had no business yelling at him for that. Students should be learning and taking care of their patients, not watching surgeries they almost certainly will never need to know how to do. Who does she think is dealing with the other patients if all the doctors are in the gallery?

I like Todd. He's gonna get his heart broken, isn't he?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Meredith barely having scenes doesn't bother me. Her storylines have been so dull and she phones it in for years now. I'd much rather the time go to anyone else.

Sigh...yes. Remember the old Mer who was prickly and complicated, but also loyal, passionate, and on fire about pretty much everything? I miss her. This Mer just nods and smiles and seems perfectly reasonable, very moderate, an...zzzzzzzz.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, windsprints said:

My guess is that The Sun will stay in Seattle to be the savior. Nick will move there & the ever agreeable Zola won't have to leave Amelia and Maggie who basically have raised her.

<facepalm> Of course. That's probably why the residency story showed up and not because, you know, it's actually a crappy program.

1 hour ago, amarante said:

But as a story line p, a shortage of surgeons at a world class facility in a city like Seattle which is attractive to professionals of all kinds is ludicrous. 

Maybe they heard about Grey Sloan and don't want to work there. There are others hospitals in Seattle.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

<facepalm> Of course. That's probably why the residency story showed up and not because, you know, it's actually a crappy program.

Maybe they heard about Grey Sloan and don't want to work there. There are others hospitals in Seattle.

Well not to belabor but patients don't go to hospitals for surgery without having selected a surgeon prior to the surgery unless it is an emergency. Surgeons in general are not employees of a hospital - they have privileges at a hospital. There might be difficulty locating a specialized surgeon in an emergency situation but the current story line has random patients being assigned arbitrarily to surgeons for what are elective non-emergency procedures.

In general people research surgeons and then meet with the surgeon at his private office who then schedules surgery at the hospital where they have privileges. There are also a number of tests that are done prior to having elective surgery done which might include a stress test for an older patient but always include a physical. Patients don't show up at the hospital the day of surgery and just take any random surgeon who has free time.

The storyline doesn't make sense because it is not how most surgeons get patients. They get patients who are referred to them by doctors because the patients need surgery. 

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, amarante said:

The storyline doesn't make sense because it is not how most surgeons get patients. They get patients who are referred to them by doctors because the patients need surgery. 

Grey’s Anatomy doesn’t make sense most of the time, with the whole freaking surgical staff milling about in Emergency half the damn time!  Surgeons may get called down for a consult after a patient is seen and stabilized by an Emergency Medicine doc, but they’re not going to be unloading people from ambulances.

• Love 11

Is it wrong that I was kind of agreed with Winston with regards to the family of the heart patient?  I didn't think they were selfish, but it really shows terrible judgment to stop and take in roadside attractions when you apparently have a very sick child on her way to Seattle for a needed heart procedure.  I know the dad said that she seemed okay on the most of the trip, but if her condition was as serious as it was supposed to be, surely they would have known her condition could change on a dime, and time should not be wasted, right?   

• Love 13
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

You can't just decide one day that you're quitting your job, as McIrish did

I'd already forgotten his existence, and it's only been like three episodes ago. 🤣

4 hours ago, lamadeleine said:

Sigh...yes. Remember the old Mer who was prickly and complicated, but also loyal, passionate, and on fire about pretty much everything? I miss her. This Mer just nods and smiles and seems perfectly reasonable, very moderate, an...zzzzzzzz.

I do miss "dark & stormy" Meredith.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Okay, I'm finally watching. I'm with Owen on the "these people should be doing their damn jobs, not watching other people do theirs" train. Lady had no business yelling at him for that. Students should be learning and taking care of their patients, not watching surgeries they almost certainly will never need to know how to do. Who does she think is dealing with the other patients if all the doctors are in the gallery?

I like Todd. He's gonna get his heart broken, isn't he?

That's exactly it! All Owen had to say was: "Well, who was going to take care of these patients? I can only get around so much because of my accident. I can just do paper work! You seem to act like you know how it works around here. Put on some scrubs, help out and shut up!" Should have been his line. Plus, hey if it's "anonymous" complaint. I do like over in Station 19 and just have all residents run around the parking lot until they almost threw up until they confessed who was the "snitch". Of course, that was also extremely stupid!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Grey’s Anatomy doesn’t make sense most of the time, with the whole freaking surgical staff milling about in Emergency half the damn time!  Surgeons may get called down for a consult after a patient is seen and stabilized by an Emergency Medicine doc, but they’re not going to be unloading people from ambulances.

Obviously this is a soap opera set in a hospital so normal medical practices fly by the wayside - except it is a bit infuriating when they theoretically take what are important medical issues like the shortage of medical personnel and then use the platform to spread such misinformation when they could with a bit of tweaking use actual critical issues.

The idea that residents *must* watch a unique surgery live in a gallery which holds a limited number of people is ludicrous as well. People can *learn* from watching tapes of procedures and that would be what would occur in most situations since the operation would be taped and theoretically disseminated worldwide as a teaching instrument for all doctors - not just a few surgical residents in Seattle. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Is it wrong that I was kind of agreed with Winston with regards to the family of the heart patient?  I didn't think they were selfish, but it really shows terrible judgment to stop and take in roadside attractions when you apparently have a very sick child on her way to Seattle for a needed heart procedure.  I know the dad said that she seemed okay on the most of the trip, but if her condition was as serious as it was supposed to be, surely they would have known her condition could change on a dime, and time should not be wasted, right?   

i can sort of seee both sides of it but if it were me, i would have broken speed laws to get to seattle ASAP

• Love 4

So apparently Meredith’s kids think she is the Sun, too. “We’d follow you anywhere, Mommy!” Barf.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:47 AM, kurtz said:

Anyone else feel like this episode was a test run for Maggie stepping into the the titular “Grey” role, and Meredith as merely a recurring character? 

I don’t know about Maggie taking the lead, but it does feel like they’re hedging their bets with Meredith. They’ve set up a plausible exit, if that’s how it plays out. Keeping her in the background also allows them to test the waters of a Sun-less show. But she could also come back, fully on board, any time. (Maybe to head the revamped residency program?) I don’t think anyone knows exactly what the future of this show looks like yet, so they’re keeping all avenues open.

I thought it was insane to stop and sightsee on the way to a critical surgery. Of course they want family time. How about on the way back home, after the girl gets her damn life saving surgery? I did not understand that at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4