Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Guitar Man

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Or how much money he could have.  That was going through my mind when he was going to buy the land for the Big Three company to develop.  Granted, he was and is on a TV show, and that's pretty lucrative, but he has a failed movie career.  That sly little smile he gave when he talked about hiring the vets for the new company made it seem like he must have tens, if not hundreds, of millions, and that didn't seem right under the circumstances.

If The Manny is in syndication, then he could be getting some nice royalties on reruns, and streaming without even working.

• Love 11

I have twins. Kevin-you’re an idiot for flying alone with them at that age. Mine were 3 1/2 when I took a solo flight with them. And it wasn’t across the country. I’m glad his brother, sister, and co-workers agreed he was clueless. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Or how much money he could have.  That was going through my mind when he was going to buy the land for the Big Three company to develop.  Granted, he was and is on a TV show, and that's pretty lucrative, but he has a failed movie career.  That sly little smile he gave when he talked about hiring the vets for the new company made it seem like he must have tens, if not hundreds, of millions, and that didn't seem right under the circumstances.

Yeah, I’ve said the same. He seems to have unlimited wealth. I could believe tens of millions between The Manny salary & syndication, and maybe Randall or someone helped him invest wisely. In his drunken monologue he said he’d made “millions.” I’m surprised he doesn’t have any endorsements.

The fame thing does seem to come and go. He was famous enough that he had a paparazzo following him and Zoe read about his engagement in the tabloids - but apparently he wasn’t that famous when she was with him because she didn’t appear in the tabloids as his girlfriend. And he’s also apparently not famous enough that him struggling with twins on a plane would register. I can fully buy that guy not knowing who he is (apparently the actor was a soap star before but I’d never seen or heard of him until this show because soaps aren’t my thing) but based on what we’ve seen, someone would know. And there are some environments where people don’t approach celebs (in NYC, they’re just around and people don’t really pay them much mind), but I wouldn’t think that would be one such environment.

• Love 3

Random question: what happened to Kate's neighbor who was recovering from a stroke? When Kevin was in Kate's house playing guitar with the twins, I kept thinking that she could probably use a friend to talk to and that's when I realized we haven't seen Gregory.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, marceline said:

Random question: what happened to Kate's neighbor who was recovering from a stroke? When Kevin was in Kate's house playing guitar with the twins, I kept thinking that she could probably use a friend to talk to and that's when I realized we haven't seen Gregory.

In many seasons! I liked their friendship.

• Love 5

Many things, people and stories in this show appear and disappear. The most notable for me is Kate's dog. Where is he?

Also many things in this show don't make any sense and we've all talked about them through the years.

Btw did someone else notice Kevin co-star's voice? She sounded like a cartoon character or something 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I hope he continues to act-maybe take roles to pay for the new business, but his new passion infuses his acting so that he is successful in both.  I think Kevin needs that.

Didn't we see some kind of award (can't quite remember if it was Oscar or Emmy) in Kevin's house in the flash forward? Unless he marries an actress we've yet to meet, I assume it his, so he must continue acting for a while at least. Unless it's for producing, or maybe Big Three gets into set design, lol.

1 hour ago, himela said:

Many things, people and stories in this show appear and disappear. The most notable for me is Kate's dog. Where is he?

OMG I forgot about Audio. Maybe he's with the disappearing neighbour. I hope they answer this before it's over!

• Love 11
20 hours ago, debraran said:

Sophie’s mom always saw how special he was, encouraged him, told him not to ever settle for less.

Maybe Kevin will end up with Sophie's mom.

Side note: I'm fostering the sweetest little doggo named Sofie (alternative spelling). I lied. I've already failed at fostering her. She's my new baby girl.

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Didn't we see some kind of award (can't quite remember if it was Oscar or Emmy) in Kevin's house in the flash forward? Unless he marries an actress we've yet to meet, I assume it his, so he must continue acting for a while at least. Unless it's for producing, or maybe Big Three gets into set design, lol.

OMG I forgot about Audio. Maybe he's with the disappearing neighbour. I hope they answer this before it's over!

Emmy for a reality show?  Maybe Big Three Construction became well known and they ended up being some sort of show.  

• Love 3

I remember an incident where a little girl had long hair and it got caught in the drain of a pool and she drowned. Long time ago, so maybe drains have improved for safety reasons.

Edited by slasherboy
  • Useful 1

The 'awards' can be seen here at 1:47. Focus is on Randall in the foreground so you can't really tell. They 'could' be Oscars, or some knick-knacks or gifts by the twins for 'Best Dad'. If they are Oscars I'd like them to be for directing instead of acting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, himela said:

Btw did someone else notice Kevin co-star's voice? She sounded like a cartoon character or something 😂

I just hoped she wasn't saying anything important to the plot, because I couldn't understand a word she said.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Maybe Kevin will end up with Sophie's mom.

Side note: I'm fostering the sweetest little doggo named Sofie (alternative spelling). I lied. I've already failed at fostering her. She's my new baby girl.

Yes, if she didn't die, she understood him better than his family did. : )

What type of dog? I just got a new puppy, cute lab but sometimes "shark" lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, himela said:

That was startling. I thought my edible had kicked in extra fast.

• LOL 12
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

My take on that was that Kevin was bigging himself up for the benefit of his coworkers.  I really don't think there is a nanny, at least based on everything we've seen so far.

We know he and Madison had a nanny last season. In that episode where they had dinner with Toby and Kate, they talked about it and Toby was bitter about it. If they got rid of their nanny for some reason, I don't see why Kevin would lie to his coworkers about having one.

I know there was a scene of Madison being exhausted and having vomit in her hair, but that could have been the nanny's day off. I don't think she is a live-in nanny.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Does Edie have kids?  Do we know?  And I agree with someone upthread who wondered how famous Kevin is supposed to be.  It’s weird that no one took out their phones when Kevin walked on board with the twins.  I mean, someone must have posted something about cranky Kevin and the babies, right?   That would go viral?

I don't think we know if Edie has kids, but she was married multiple times before, so she could.

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The fame thing does seem to come and go. He was famous enough that he had a paparazzo following him and Zoe read about his engagement in the tabloids - but apparently he wasn’t that famous when she was with him because she didn’t appear in the tabloids as his girlfriend.

Was there a line about how Kevin's publicist got them on the cover of US Weekly for good press? I feel like that was a scene at some point. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Leeds said:

Yes.  I'm sorry but not all veterans deserve respect.

I suggest that most veterans do deserve respect, because they stepped forward, swore to support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and put their lives at risk so that their detractors could express their opinions, including opinions such as yours.

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

We know he and Madison had a nanny last season. In that episode where they had dinner with Toby and Kate, they talked about it and Toby was bitter about it. If they got rid of their nanny for some reason, I don't see why Kevin would lie to his coworkers about having one.

Thanks, clearly I didn't remember that.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Does Edie have kids?  Do we know?  And I agree with someone upthread who wondered how famous Kevin is supposed to be.  It’s weird that no one took out their phones when Kevin walked on board with the twins.  I mean, someone must have posted something about cranky Kevin and the babies, right?   That would go viral?

Yeah true . It’s also weird how the writers made a point to add Covid into the show when necessary but now they can go maskless on the plane and in the hospital . Not a big deal but these are the things I notice lol 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Why are the twins wearing those heat retention hats at their age?

With babies, I assume that it just makes filming easier.  Maybe the actors they cast have BoJo hair and it was driving the continuity team crazy because their hair looked different in every shot. So, hats. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:
22 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Having said that, I feel like tv dramas rely a little bit too much on that trope to the point where you would almost think it was not possible for a veteran to return home without having significant emotional problems that leave them barely able to function. 

Expand  

They also rely on the audience feeling nothing but unequivocal respect for veterans.  I do respect them, but it's mixed with a lot of politics, frustration and anger so I really can't  get behind a character like Cassidy without being taken out of the show.

I had a problem with this too. Not to take anything away from vets or their service and sacrifices, but being a vet doesn’t make you automatically good at everything. The way Nicky jumped down Kevin’s throat made it seem like Kevin was just supposed to know these workers were competent because they were vets. I know Nicky was just being protective of Cassidy but it was uncalled for. Kevin wasn’t mocking their service, he was just questioning whether they were experienced at building. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

And I agree with someone upthread who wondered how famous Kevin is supposed to be.  It’s weird that no one took out their phones when Kevin walked on board with the twins.  I mean, someone must have posted something about cranky Kevin and the babies, right?   That would go viral?

The former Manny with his real babies! Wearing a shirt!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Too bad Nicky couldn’t have been more involved in the Pearson kids’ lives after Jack died. He seems to be the only one who’s able to tell Kevin to get his head out of his ass and think about someone other than himself for once. Sorry kids, but your dad was nothing special, so trying to live up to some mythical ideal of the perfect parent isn’t particularly healthy. Instead of endlessly regaling them with tales of St Jack the Perfect, it would’ve been better for the kids if Rebecca let them know that their dad had some real flaws. And if she insisted on therapy. Lots and lots of therapy. 

• Love 6
On 3/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

There are times you might want to stay all night with a person who’s in the hospital, but I didn’t get the point of Kevin staying.  Cassidy didn’t even know he was there.  He wasn’t even able to help her get to the bathroom or fluff her pillow.  He could have left and returned the next day.  I guess no one thought to do a psych evaluation.  I know what she said, but still……

He is a parent with twins back home that don't sleep through the night. They were his responsibility. That is where he belonged. Staying overnight didn't benefit anyone. 

• Love 11

The credibility that is stretched and the disbelief that must be suspended with this show....

Kevin flies commercial.  By himself.  With two infants.  Okay, he wanted to prove he could do it, but c'mon...with the resources he has at his disposal, why would he feel that need?  Because he never touched the drain when the pool was full? 

Cassidy has a wonderful, heartwarming Pearsonesque family dinner and game night and then feels the need to go racing into a tree which leads to a lengthy hospital bed-ridden monologue.  Apparently working on Pearson Sacred Ground instills one with Pearson Monologue ™ ® capabilities. Hopefully the other Seabees are immune, or they're going to get way behind schedule. After all, not unlike the Blues Brothers, they're on a mission from God.  Or at least Rebecca.

Kevin delivers a Monologue to a stranger in a hospital waiting room who's all "Dude. I'm just here to visit my wife."  Now, that is credible.  Rejected and maybe a little dejected, Kevin delivers another Monologue to his 9-month old infant.  That'll put 'em to sleep.  Matty's dad looked like he was heading for zee hills before it was his turn.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Maybe Cassidy went for a drive because the twins' diapers got to her. Apparently those things are nuclear-level.

Thanks show! Now I've got that hideous Bread song in my head. Bread Head. Not good.

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, Josiemae said:

Maybe Cassidy went for a drive because the twins' diapers got to her. Apparently those things are nuclear-level.

Thanks show! Now I've got that hideous Bread song in my head. Bread Head. Not good.

The music on the show is one thing they get right every time.  I love me some Bread!  Pardon the pun. Lol. (Check out the Best of Bread. Awesome!)

• Love 11
On 3/15/2022 at 10:21 PM, Blackie said:

ETA: how was that painted picture supposed to dry in time for the kid to take it to his mom, unless they were using some technique I don't know about

You can use a hair dryer to dry paint quickly.  We do it all the time at the craft studio where I work.  I'm not sure if Kevin would have known that trick though.

• Love 3
On 3/16/2022 at 10:49 AM, Leeds said:

Yes.  I'm sorry but not all veterans deserve respect.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:45 PM, CdrJanny said:

I suggest that most veterans do deserve respect, because they stepped forward, swore to support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and put their lives at risk so that their detractors could express their opinions, including opinions such as yours.

I said "not all veterans deserve respect".  You said "most veterans do deserve respect".  Same difference.

Edited by Leeds
Grammar
  • Love 1

About Cassidy and her car 'accident'..  and I put accident in quotes because they're no longer called MVA's They are called MVC's ( motor vehicle collision as opposed to motor vehicle  accident).  There is only so much the hospital can do as far as screening.  If Cassidy denies any intention, that's it.  End of story.  I've been working as an ED Nurse for 25 years and there are a bunch of questionable things that come through the doors.  Questionable suicidal ideation. Questionable assaults.  Intentional and/or unintentional overdoses.  And everything in between. 

I think that was the message, just as Nicky said.  These things aren't neon signs saying 'please save me'.  They're subtle and covert.  That's where the support system (Nicky and Kevin) come in

• Useful 5
  • Love 11
On 3/16/2022 at 12:00 AM, Gemma Violet said:

I read an article once about an unfortunate person who this happened to.  He sat on the drain.  He survived but with a horrifying life-altering injury.  So it's not an urban legend--at least not in that case.

21 hours ago, kili said:

People have died or been injured by pool drains. Probably not ones that big, but the small ones you can completely cover are a problem. The grand daughter of a former secretary of state died when she got entrapped by the drain of a hot tub. It took two men to pull her body free.

16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Just because Randall says something doesn't make it true, even though he would like to think so.  As mentioned by another poster, there have been deaths related to swimming pool/hot tub drains.

Okay, okay, I concede. There have been some terrible incidents related to pool drains. But these tend to be freak accidents resulting from damaged or poorly fitting drain covers.

(Or in the case of one man, an ill-advised attempt at masturbation. I mean, what the hell, guy, was your vacuum cleaner not strong enough?)

Adequately designed and properly equipped drain covers will prevent these kinds of accidents. So while Death by Pool Drain may not be entirely an urban legend, it’s still a way overblown fear.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

6 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I had a problem with this too. Not to take anything away from vets or their service and sacrifices, but being a vet doesn’t make you automatically good at everything. The way Nicky jumped down Kevin’s throat made it seem like Kevin was just supposed to know these workers were competent because they were vets. I know Nicky was just being protective of Cassidy but it was uncalled for. Kevin wasn’t mocking their service, he was just questioning whether they were experienced at building. 

My takeaway is that Kevin seemingly automatically assumed that military veterans are unskilled in the building trades.  Those former Seabees working for him probably have more construction experience and skills than Jack, Miguel, and any other 5 workers at Jack's former employer.  And, as Nicky told Kevin, they built schools in combat zones!

Edited by CdrJanny
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Too bad Nicky couldn’t have been more involved in the Pearson kids’ lives after Jack died. He seems to be the only one who’s able to tell Kevin to get his head out of his ass and think about someone other than himself for once. Sorry kids, but your dad was nothing special, so trying to live up to some mythical ideal of the perfect parent isn’t particularly healthy. Instead of endlessly regaling them with tales of St Jack the Perfect, it would’ve been better for the kids if Rebecca let them know that their dad had some real flaws. And if she insisted on therapy. Lots and lots of therapy. 

I'm thinking that Rebecca wasn't aware Jack had flaws of any kind.  She was raised to believe that "Father Knows Best".

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, CdrJanny said:

My takeaway is that Kevin seemingly automatically assumed that military veterans are unskilled in the building trades. 

Why should being told they were vets make him assume they were skilled in building trades?  I know a lot of vets, and I don’t believe any were responsible for building things.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Why should being told they were vets make him assume they were skilled in building trades?  I know a lot of vets, and I don’t believe any were responsible for building things.

My point is that, Kevin, like you, automatically assumed that the veterans were unqualified to build a house because they had been in the military.

• Love 3

Because Pearsons know everything and are always right /s.  Here’s how it could have gone when speaking to a non-Pearson:

”Where did you get these guys?”

”They’re all veterans.”

”Oh.  Did they learn the building trade in the military?”

”Yes. Some are SeaBees and some are ex-Corps of Engineers.”

”Really?”

”Yeah. Trust me. They’ve all built much more complex structures than your shitty cabin. And many of them did it in a war zone. And none of them would’ve screwed up the specs for the foundation the way your architect did.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

Those former Seabees working for him probably have more construction experience and skills than Jack, Miguel, and any other 5 workers at Jack's former employer.  And, as Nicky told Kevin, they built schools in combat zones!

10 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

Gee whiz. 

Maybe the Seabees are fantastic at building temporary or very simple constructions at top speed and not quite as experienced in the building of comfortable, luxurious, private residences.  

Your reverence for the military is nice, but they are all just humans.  Some joined up for the noble reasons you imply and some joined the reserves thinking they would get some easy money as weekend warriors.

Cassidy is smart enough to know her recent American history.  She would have heard about the tremendous loss of  lives  in Vietnam.  Young people fighting the idea of communism, alongside South Vietnamese they promised to protect if things went wrong -- only to have to abandon those people when the troops were pulled out and the war lost.

Yet she chose to join the army, leave her small child behind, go to a far away country to try and search out terrorists who were hiding in the mountains.  Civilians died, Americans died, huge amounts of money that could have been spent to fight poverty in America was lost, and the number of al-Qaeda members rose with every one of our bombs.

Eventually the U.S. admitted defeat and she had to abandon people she had promised to protect. 

DUH, Cassidy.  I can admire her courage while questioning every one of her decisions and wondering what ever happened to her responsibility to her child.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

So true.  As this show is nearing the end, I’m reflecting on what we have learned about these characters’ lives.  And, while it’s supposed to be a sweet, precious tale of family …..it’s more about dysfunction and misery due to a skewed sense of blind devotion to a mythical figure known as Jack Pearson.  Rebecca helped create it and keep it going.  She never seemed to end her grieving. This impacted the kids and they all seem monumentally impaired in their adult lives due to being haunted by their father’s memory, especially Kevin and Kate.  I am very aware that losing a parent as a child would have a monumental impact on a child, but what the show has portrayed seems to take it to a whole other level and it it doesn’t appear to be healthy.  

• Love 17
46 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So true.  As this show is nearing the end, I’m reflecting on what we have learned about these characters’ lives.  And, while it’s supposed to be a sweet, precious tale of family …..it’s more about dysfunction and misery due to a skewed sense of blind devotion to a mythical figure known as Jack Pearson.  Rebecca helped create it and keep it going.  She never seemed to end her grieving. This impacted the kids and they all seem monumentally impaired in their adult lives due to being haunted by their father’s memory, especially Kevin and Kate.  I am very aware that losing a parent as a child would have a monumental impact on a child, but what the show has portrayed seems to take it to a whole other level and it it doesn’t appear to be healthy.  

My dad died ten years ago this week.  My little brother was 21 at the time and in college.  He tried to finish his degree, but was stuck.  He dropped out of school and worked fulltime during the rest of his 20s knowing he had to go back to school but lacked the motivation.  Losing a parent in a transition year like the Pearson kids does affect you, but Kevin and Kate took it to another level.  My brother did decide two years ago to go back to school.  It helped that our next door neighbor works for the local university in the right office.  Her job is to help people who dropped out come back and get their degrees.  He graduated with his bachelors last year and is now working.  He also has a girlfriend of two years who he practically lives with.  

• Love 13
4 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

My takeaway is that Kevin seemingly automatically assumed that military veterans are unskilled in the building trades.  Those former Seabees working for him probably have more construction experience and skills than Jack, Miguel, and any other 5 workers at Jack's former employer.  And, as Nicky told Kevin, they built schools in combat zones!

And that’s amazing, but again, how was Kevin supposed to know that?  I didn’t take away that Kevin thought they were unskilled, he just didn’t know either way so he asked. Cassidy and Nicky took it as a personal affront that Kevin would dare ask about the workers’ skills. That’s understandable given where they’re coming from but I don’t think it was fair. And as always Kevin ending up apologizing (in a big way) but no one apologized to him. 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

My point is that, Kevin, like you, automatically assumed that the veterans were unqualified to build a house because they had been in the military.

Well in all fairness, why wouldn't you assume that? That's not their specialty. They specialized in a different career. I would want someone who specifically is trained in building houses to build my house.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, PRgal said:

Emmy for a reality show?  Maybe Big Three Construction became well known and they ended up being some sort of show. 

Ooooh, Kevin could be the new Ty Pennington and do a reality show where veterans build homes for those who need them. And it would feature a shirtless Kevin in every episode (Randall too. I'm flashing back to when Randall was renovating his bio dad's apartment building).

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wasn’t she singing? 

I knew she sang at a local bar but I wouldn't think that it would pay enough money to support herself.  Maybe her Dad was supporting her.

• Love 3

Rebecca singing in bars reminds me of the character Alice, in the old movie Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.  Alice’s husband dies and she resumes a career singing in a bar to support her and her son, except she’s not that good and I’m amazed she really thought she could make a living at it.  She sort of got the gig out of sympathy that she was a widow.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Of the many stupid things that Kevin said in this episode ("Celebrities - they're just like us!"), the stupidest one had to be when he claimed that having Matty around would give the twins someone to play with.

Haha me too! Are the twins even 1 yet? lol

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Ooooh, Kevin could be the new Ty Pennington and do a reality show where veterans build homes for those who need them. And it would feature a shirtless Kevin in every episode (Randall too. I'm flashing back to when Randall was renovating his bio dad's apartment building).

But a shirtless Randall being on his brother's show could make or break his political career.....

• LOL 4
  • Love 1