Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Guitar Man

• Start Topic

Kevin has no depth but they tried to give him some, literally, by using the deep end of the pool as a metaphor.  It didn't work.

I don't know why but I hope Kevin and Cassidy end up together.  Maybe it is because I like Jennifer Morrison or maybe because I am a Deadhead and like the song Cassidy.  Either way, I am rooting for it.

Finally, it is a stretch that after decades of living alone and struggling with mental health issues Nicky seems completely "normal" and "over it." I don't think it is that easy. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I would want someone who specifically is trained in building houses to build my house.

Yes.  I'd want someone with an actual contractor's license in my state.  I respect veterans as much as anyone, but if I'm going to shell out thousands of dollars for a home, I'm not going to hire someone unless they show me documentation that they are licensed to do carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work.

Kevin was smart to question whether they were qualified, but he was made to feel bad for even bringing it up.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, CdrJanny said:

My point is that, Kevin, like you, automatically assumed that the veterans were unqualified to build a house because they had been in the military

Actually, I assume everyone is unqualified to build a house until they tell me their qualifications, and if their response to my question about their qualifications is a huffy “I’m a vet,” I wouldn’t hire them because they didn’t answer my question.

Kevin was rude in the way he asked the question because he had just finished a hellish journey cross country with his twins, but he seems always to be required to give everyone else the benefit of the doubt while he is held to a different standard.

• Love 23
On 3/15/2022 at 10:57 PM, KaveDweller said:

I have trouble sleeping and I have never gotten in my car. I have gotten up and cleaned or worked, but never driven. But I don't have PTSD, so I am not a great comparison for Cassidy.

Cassidy's ex must be thrilled that Kevin gave their kid that guitar.

I always liked Kevin, so I enjoyed this episode, but I feel like they are just delaying telling us who he ends up with to shock us rather than telling a good story.

Yeah at this point does it really matter who he ends up with? We aren't given anyone to root for because no one is on the screen long enough for us to connect to. Cassidy will be there for one episode and then we won't see her for 2 more seasons. Same with Sophie. Madison has been on here and there because of the kids but eh. She was given another love interest so we don't see her and Kevin interact other than about the kids at this point. I just don't feel like there's anyone to be excited about that he ends up with.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Maybe the Seabees are fantastic at building temporary or very simple constructions at top speed and not quite as experienced in the building of comfortable, luxurious, private residences. 

This really downplays and trivializes what the Seabees have done throughout history.

As a side note, my great uncle was a Seabee in the Pacific theater. We have some fantastic photographs from his time in the service. When he returned home he continued his service as a firefighter at the Johnsville base and the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard. My father was drafted and sent to USARAL to defend the United States from the Soviet Union during the Cold War. He returned home, continued his work as an architectural draftsman and eventually designed and oversaw the construction of some of the most notable structures in American motorsport as well as the private home of one of the top ten team owners. 

https://coffeeordie.com/navy-seabees/

I love Kevin's plan for employing veterans.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Edie was brought in so seamlessly that my biggest wish now is the same for Kevin.  After all the angst, just have him in a good, contented place and then meet someone (maybe at Kate’s wedding?) where we just see a few moments of them clicking and then flash forward to her at the house.  Skip all these other relationships with their baggage.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The 'awards' can be seen here at 1:47. Focus is on Randall in the foreground so you can't really tell. They 'could' be Oscars, or some knick-knacks or gifts by the twins for 'Best Dad'. If they are Oscars I'd like them to be for directing instead of acting.

If we're talking about the stuff on the table to Randall's left as he walks through the room; none of that looks like any award we'd seen before.  It appears to be some sort of decor/knicknacks.  There is stuff on the bookshelves in front of Randall as he walks, but I can't enlarge the picture enough to tell what it is and we only see it for a second.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Edie was brought in so seamlessly that my biggest wish now is the same for Kevin.  After all the angst, just have him in a good, contented place and then meet someone (maybe at Kate’s wedding?) where we just see a few moments of them clicking and then flash forward to her at the house.  Skip all these other relationships with their baggage.

Nicky and Edie should not work with the utter lack of script given to them, but they do.  I chalk this up to having two veteran actors playing the roles.  Both of them are capable of filling in the blanks and selling their relationship.

• Love 14
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

Nicky and Edie should not work with the utter lack of script given to them, but they do.  I chalk this up to having two veteran actors playing the roles.  Both of them are capable of filling in the blanks and selling their relationship.

Totally agree!  Maybe they can’t catch lightning twice, but now I’d rather have two minutes of Justin and some actress trying than whatever convoluted story it will take to make me want one of the three current possibilities to work out.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Cassidy has a wonderful, heartwarming Pearsonesque family dinner and game night and then feels the need to go racing into a tree which leads to a lengthy hospital bed-ridden monologue.  Apparently working on Pearson Sacred Ground instills one with Pearson Monologue ™ ® capabilities. Hopefully the other Seabees are immune, or they're going to get way behind schedule.

This could be an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Anyone who enters the compound is stricken with a compulsion to make long, self-indulgent speeches that no one wants to hear. They can't stop themselves. By the end of the movie the Pearson property is crowded with a babble of people speechifying over each other -- all the Pearsons, the FedEx delivery guy, the mailman, the neighbor walking her dog, the police sent to investigate...

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

This could be an M. Night Shyamalan movie. Anyone who enters the compound is stricken with a compulsion to make long, self-indulgent speeches that no one wants to hear. They can't stop themselves. By the end of the movie the Pearson property is crowded with a babble of people speechifying over each other -- all the Pearsons, the FedEx delivery guy, the mailman, the neighbor walking her dog, the police sent to investigate...

And it would be linked to the Philadelphia area (via Randall and the cabin which I assume is in the Poconos), as several Shyamalan movies have been! 

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Useful 2
On 3/16/2022 at 9:40 AM, Blackie said:

Are you even allowed to to fly with 2 babies /one adult? I thought for safety if kids were under 2(?) they needed an adult. What if  an emergency exit was required how could Kevin go down the chute with 2 baby carriers? 

Yeah, it's probably because I just watched a documentary about the "miracle on the Hudson", but that was all I could think of too. I don't even think you can bring carriers on, you have to hold the baby in your lap AND if there is an impact, you're supposed to brace them on your lap. So 2 people would be needed.

Or how much money he could have.  That was going through my mind when he was going to buy the land for the Big Three company to develop.  Granted, he was and is on a TV show, and that's pretty lucrative, but he has a failed movie career.  That sly little smile he gave when he talked about hiring the vets for the new company made it seem like he must have tens, if not hundreds, of millions, and that didn't seem right under the circumstances.

I always assume that The Manny was something like Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory, Charlie Sheen has said "I make more in one day of Two and a Half Men reruns than you can possibly imagine." Shows that run in perpetual syndication are a continual replenishment of money for the actors.

Finally, it is a stretch that after decades of living alone and struggling with mental health issues Nicky seems completely "normal" and "over it." I don't think it is that easy

Yeah, kind of undermined his point about how the brokenness doesn't heal. He sure had a miraculous turnaround in quite a short period of time.

So this was Kevin's goodbye episode (like Beth's dumb ballet one)? I mostly liked the episode, but I don't care that much about Cassidy and it felt like a hijacking unless she turns to be Kevin's future wife, I guess. There are some threads that just don't weave tight enough to the core cast for me to care about them.

I did like the teenage Big 3 moments, I wish we'd have more of those. I'm a little more interested in how those lost kids find their path than I am in how these 40-somethings navigate subjects as depressing as elder decline, PTSD-related suicide attempts, and divorce. 

I'm interested in Kate's episode mainly for teenage Kate, that character is fascinating to me. Child Kate is pretty bland and one-note and adult Kate has some intractable irritating ways, but teenage Kate was actually pretty cool and had more layers to her.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Edie was brought in so seamlessly

I love Vanessa Bell Calloway in this role. I think she’s so charming. From the way she joked that Nicky had slashed her tires and that’s why she was still around to her comment about preferring the jackhammer to Kevin’s guitar*, I just think she’s great.

*The shade at his guitar was so good. Kate’s “yeah, well …” was the line of the episode.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

This really downplays and trivializes what the Seabees have done throughout history.

As a side note, my great uncle was a Seabee in the Pacific theater. We have some fantastic photographs from his time in the service. When he returned home he continued his service as a firefighter at the Johnsville base and the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard. My father was drafted and sent to USARAL to defend the United States from the Soviet Union during the Cold War. He returned home, continued his work as an architectural draftsman and eventually designed and oversaw the construction of some of the most notable structures in American motorsport as well as the private home of one of the top ten team owners. 

https://coffeeordie.com/navy-seabees/

I love Kevin's plan for employing veterans.

Sorry, I didn't mean to downplay anything the Seabees did, the most awesome part of all their constructions was they did it under threat of the  enemy, ready to put down their hammers and pick up their rifles at any moment.  I just don't agree with the statement CDRjanny made that they are more qualified than, "Jack, Miguel, and any other 5 workers at Jack's company,"  to build that house, or that they knew far  more than any civilian architect.  

My father served in WWII.  My husband is retired after a 22 year active duty career in the USAF, starting in the theater of operations for Vietnam.  Both of them have drafting degrees, (husband also has computer science degree.) Both hired contractors to build our houses.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I liked this episode more than I expected to, going into the episode. I still feel that I am finding my footing sometimes, even in my 40s, so I can relate to that aspect of Kevin.

It seemed he started to really come into his own post-trip and seemed so much calmer and self-assured. 

Jennifer Morrison was amazing, particularly during Cassidy's breakdown in the hospital. Justin as Kevin was also great as he just sat there and listened and absorbed all of her pain and hurt. And Griffin's Nick coming in, he a bit of a surrogate father, she the daughter he never had. These are some of the most interesting relationships and while I would not be opposed to seeing Kevin with Cassidy in the future (and yes, Sophie is still my fave), it's so refreshing to see them as platonic friends and her relationship with Nicky that is separate from her relationship with Kevin.

I loved seeing the young adult Big 3, especially the teasing/interaction between Kate and Randall as that is the one relationship I don't feel we have seen as much of as that of Kate/Kevin and Randall/Kevin. Someone mentioned upthread about young adult Kevin being so spot-on with present-day Kevin and I wholeheartedly agree. It was uncanny - the voice and the cadence and the mannerisms. 

Elsewhere, Edie just fits in as if she had always been a part of this family. The teasing with Kevin, the dancing with Nicky. I adore this character. I also agree that the second she heard what was going on with Cassidy that she insisted on Kevin and Nicky going to the hospital and that she would be just fine with the kiddos. She could handle cranky airline customers in her sleep, so I'm sure she had no issues. 

It also amused me how Nicky, Edie, and Mattie all seemed to be the baby whisperer. Mattie was adorable giving that kiss to Frannie and responding to Kevin "I said 'yeah' an hour ago."

I'm excited to see Kate's episode next week.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Outstanding premise.  Tagline: "I hear chatty people."

I've said it before (although not this season) - if a Pearson was lost in the forest, they'd talk to the trees while they were trying to find their way out.

2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, kind of undermined his point about how the brokenness doesn't heal. He sure had a miraculous turnaround in quite a short period of time.

The love of a good woman makes anything possible?  Sure, why not...

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, it's probably because I just watched a documentary about the "miracle on the Hudson", but that was all I could think of too. I don't even think you can bring carriers on, you have to hold the baby in your lap AND if there is an impact, you're supposed to brace them on your lap. So 2 people would be needed.

I always assume that The Manny was something like Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory, Charlie Sheen has said "I make more in one day of Two and a Half Men reruns than you can possibly imagine." Shows that run in perpetual syndication are a continual replenishment of money for the actors..

Presuming the Manny has enough episodes for syndication, usually around 100, the money is huge. The actors from Seinfeld cumulatively received around $3 billion from the syndication of the show.  Forbes estimated that Jerry Seinfeld earns $65-80 million annually.  If the Manny was as popular as the show seems to imply, Kevin should be set for life even if he never works again.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2

I feel they had Kevin regress a bit. He was very good, mature in Nicky episodes, "saving him' instead of St Jack. He was very good with Sophie at funeral, the scene at cemetery had him reflecting on his missed moments. A lot of things brought up then I thought they wanted to bring back later. Claire had faith Kevin would mature enough to earn her ring to put on Sophie's finger, she knew he would go far, etc. Then they had him go home, have unprotected sex and this mess for a year! I mean really, twins are cute, I had twins, but nothing is charming about the debacle of the wedding plans, doubts, angst, etc. It was the biggest filler TIU has done. I don't care if Alexandra couldn't do original plans, you can come up with something better than this. Kevin doesn't communicate, (nor does Kate) but he had done so much better.He never knew what Madison wanted, never asked or vice versa. Even in therapy he grew and tried to tell his mom and others how he saw his childhood in part, they shut him down like a trap door. Bunch of babies trying to make a fairy tale and not allowing him his feelings.  Rebecca pretty much blaming him for not staying to babysit her. Poor Randall had too. I feel having Kevin now live with them, need them, is unseemly. He is a grown man who needs to act like he is 40. He can be close but with all his money, it doesn't make any sense to me why he is on couches or not reading how he is not helping his sister's marriage.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I always assume that The Manny was something like Two and a Half Men or Big Bang Theory, Charlie Sheen has said "I make more in one day of Two and a Half Men reruns than you can possibly imagine." Shows that run in perpetual syndication are a continual replenishment of money for the actors.

So this was Kevin's goodbye episode (like Beth's dumb ballet one)? I mostly liked the episode, but I don't care that much about Cassidy and it felt like a hijacking unless she turns to be Kevin's future wife, I guess. There are some threads that just don't weave tight enough to the core cast for me to care about them.

I did like the teenage Big 3 moments, I wish we'd have more of those. I'm a little more interested in how those lost kids find their path than I am in how these 40-somethings navigate subjects as depressing as elder decline, PTSD-related suicide attempts, and divorce. 

I'm interested in Kate's episode mainly for teenage Kate, that character is fascinating to me. Child Kate is pretty bland and one-note and adult Kate has some intractable irritating ways, but teenage Kate was actually pretty cool and had more layers to her.

I don’t understand why actors make so much money in syndication ( thinking of Friends in particular .) They already got paid for their job when they did it and got an amazing amount of money . So why do they get paid every time it plays on tv ? They are no longer working for or on that show . I can possibly see why the creator still gets paid , but I don’t get the actors still making millions a year . 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, debraran said:

I feel they had Kevin regress a bit. He was very good, mature in Nicky episodes, "saving him' instead of St Jack. He was very good with Sophie at funeral, the scene at cemetery had him reflecting on his missed moments. A lot of things brought up then I thought they wanted to bring back later. Claire had faith Kevin would mature enough to earn her ring to put on Sophie's finger, she knew he would go far, etc. Then they had him go home, have unprotected sex and this mess for a year! I mean really, twins are cute, I had twins, but nothing is charming about the debacle of the wedding plans, doubts, angst, etc. It was the biggest filler TIU has done. I don't care if Alexandra couldn't do original plans, you can come up with something better than this. Kevin doesn't communicate, (nor does Kate) but he had done so much better.He never knew what Madison wanted, never asked or vice versa. Even in therapy he grew and tried to tell his mom and others how he saw his childhood in part, they shut him down like a trap door. Bunch of babies trying to make a fairy tale and not allowing him his feelings.  Rebecca pretty much blaming him for not staying to babysit her. Poor Randall had too. I feel having Kevin now live with them, need them, is unseemly. He is a grown man who needs to act like he is 40. He can be close but with all his money, it doesn't make any sense to me why he is on couches or not reading how he is not helping his sister's marriage.

Yeah Kevin’s character definitely regresses throughout the show and some of it becomes tiresome . He always has a long speech somewhere at the end of the episodes as if he’s learned a lot and then the next episode he’s still talking about the same things or confused about the same situation . 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Yeah Kevin’s character definitely regresses throughout the show and some of it becomes tiresome . He always has a long speech somewhere at the end of the episodes as if he’s learned a lot and then the next episode he’s still talking about the same things or confused about the same situation . 

In few words you said it.  Truth!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Presuming the Manny has enough episodes for syndication, usually around 100, the money is huge. The actors from Seinfeld cumulatively received around $3 billion from the syndication of the show.  Forbes estimated that Jerry Seinfeld earns $65-80 million annually.  If the Manny was as popular as the show seems to imply, Kevin should be set for life even if he never works again.

These days, Manny could probably stream without the 100 episodes.  And wasn’t Kevin replaced after his tantrum?  He’d make money from the syndication/streaming but only on the seasons he was in.  Also, his war movie did pretty well, correct? 

• Love 3

Friends still makes around $1 billion in syndication revenue; I don’t have a problem with the actors who worked so hard to embody those characters sharing in that bounty.

As for The Manny, I think it had been going for awhile before his meltdown, and IIRC it only went one season more with the new manny.  It must have been popular enough to make TPTB remake it and give Kevin a prominent role.  Didn’t he call his salaries “crazy money”?  He might be struggling to find a new acting gig, but I think he must be doing fine financially.

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 6

I don't blame Kevin for questioning vets building...Jack, Nicki and Cassidy did not build while in service.

They needed to give Kevin a break although he finally realized vets can and some did. But put a great contractor in control...not Cassidy and Nicki.

When I think about what my relatives did serving none built. And I'm talking back to WWll.

• Love 5
On 3/15/2022 at 10:23 PM, tomsmom said:

What a useless episode.

"Useless" is strong, but I was bored, and I like Kevin.  I agree with others that the speechifying in the hospital was OTT, and I thought the plane thing was stupid.  Yes, Kevin should parent by himself, but taking two babies on a plane by himself---to think that he would do that is a stretch.  As was mentioned, he's got money.  No way he doesn't hire a temp nanny or babysitter to at least fly with him.

Drunk Teenage Kevin is also tiresome.

• Love 4
On 3/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, cameron said:

Why are the twins wearing those heat retention hats at their age?

I read somewhere that hats are fairly standard for TV babies.  Because little kids can only be on set for so long, multiple babies are needed for each role.  Sometimes kids have different hair colors or curly vs. straight hair. Hats make the kids easier to switch in and out of scenes.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Useful 6
  • Love 4

About Kevin and his popularity and net worth.

In respect to the above Two and a Halh Men comparison, Charlie Sheen was already a known commodity prior to that show.  Kevin was a relative unknown.  I'm going to compare Kevin to Jim Parsons career.  Obviously Two different shows that portray Two different characters, but strictly career trajectories.  Jim Parsons was a relative unknown until he starred in a popular half hour show.  Also getting current employment with Young Sheldon ( Ala Kevin in the Manny reboot).  Jim's net worth is estimated at 160 mil.  

However there are many people who don't watch BBT and wouldn't know Jim Parsons from Justin Hartley.  I can see Jim Parsons, depending in the situation, going completely unnoticed in a lot of situations.  Unless you're an Uber star with a long resume ( Tom Hanks, Will Smith, etc) there is a good chance you can go about your business 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't even think you can bring carriers on, you have to hold the baby in your lap AND if there is an impact, you're supposed to brace them on your lap. So 2 people would be needed.

Only people who don't want to pay for a seat for their baby hold them in their laps. In the event of turbulence or something worse, the baby can  become a projectile. The safest thing is to pay for an airplane seat so that the baby travels in her strapped-in car seat, as she would in a car.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

the most awesome part of all their constructions was they did it under threat of the  enemy

I had never heard of Seabees and I think that, as amazing the work they do might be, they didn't work under the treat of an enemy because they were part of the invading side of things. In most cases, the invading side that destroyed the livelihood of the people they apparently built things for, so less amazing in my view (imperialism and colonization are never amazing). Just a clarification for the record. Nothing personal against any one of them, as individuals. I am speaking about the institutions they served under.

I thought the episode was easy to watch, except the part with Cassidy. Unless they are setting up for her to be with Kevin in the future, there wasn't really a reason for that. Just to show how Kevin is not the screw up the younger self thought he was seemed a little extreme. A long flight with two babies and no help would be enough.

I love the little Kevin actor. He is so convincing in his brooding.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

This is an interesting article about how actors make money from series in syndication. I got the impression that the Manny was on for at least 4 years before Kevin left. And we've seen he doesn't spend the money he has for housing as long as he has relatives whose extra rooms he can couch surf in.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Dminches said:

Finally, it is a stretch that after decades of living alone and struggling with mental health issues Nicky seems completely "normal" and "over it." I don't think it is that easy. 

We don't see every minute of these characters' lives, especially the supporting ones like Nicky. He probably goes to regular meetings with a psychologist and has for at least a few years now. He did mention to Cassidy that he has spoken to a therapist that he recommended she see when she gets out of the hospital. 

My husband, a vet, has gone to therapy for PTSD for many years with the VA. He still can't sit with his back to a door when we'd go out to eat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I don’t understand why actors make so much money in syndication ( thinking of Friends in particular .) They already got paid for their job when they did it and got an amazing amount of money . So why do they get paid every time it plays on tv ? They are no longer working for or on that show . I can possibly see why the creator still gets paid , but I don’t get the actors still making millions a year . 

Every year that passes, the amount diminishes. Unless their contract specifies differently. I think it is reasonable because the network the reruns the show on is making money by airing their talent, so why shouldn't they continue to benefit?

• Love 8

I was hoping this would be the last time we would be seeing Cassidy on the show until we learned about Big Three Homes.  Ugh!

The actor who plays teenage Kevin was quite impressive in this episode.  He has developed Justin's mannerisms perfectly.

Other than the well acted hospital scene, I expected more from this episode.  Boring!  I’d give it a C+.  Meh…. I’m ready to move on from this show.  That said, I think the series finale could be epic and am looking forward to it.  

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't even think you can bring carriers on, you have to hold the baby in your lap AND if there is an impact, you're supposed to brace them on your lap.

Of course you can bring baby seats on airplanes; in fact, it’s preferred. Yes, you have to buy the seat, but having travelled with a baby on my lap, I can tell you that in retrospect I would have preferred forking out another $150 for another seat. The baby can sleep in their seat, the caregiver gets a break, and it’s very safe in case of turbulence. If there’s an actual impact, a baby on your lap wouldn’t stand a chance.

(And please don’t quote the one instance where a baby was the only survivor of a plane crash because the parent sheltered them; that was shit luck and the fact that it’s a known case makes it the rarity it is. How many babies died in plane or car crashes because they were on a lap?)

17 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I don’t understand why actors make so much money in syndication

Because that’s often the best money they make, especially if the show doesn’t last beyond 5 years. Often an unknown actor will sign a contract for a sitcom, just grateful for a steady role. The salary will be a pittance, by Hollywood standards, but it will be a decent living. However, the show becomes a huge hit and gives the network the opportunity to charge big bucks for advertising. The unknown actor suddenly becomes a top tv star and everyone benefits. That’s why they often negotiate syndi money. It’s a chance they take.

In the olden days that wasn’t done. That people would want to watch the same episodes over and over wasn’t a thing. I remember as a kid turning on The Brady Bunch and if it was a rerun, we’d turn it off - “Ugh, a rerun.” Casts from shows like Gilligan’s Island made nothing from the years the show was (and still is) replayed. And their original salary was pauper’s wages.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Of course you can bring baby seats on airplanes; in fact, it’s preferred. Yes, you have to buy the seat, but having travelled with a baby on my lap, I can tell you that in retrospect I would have preferred forking out another $150 for another seat. The baby can sleep in their seat, the caregiver gets a break, and it’s very safe in case of turbulence. If there’s an actual impact, a baby on your lap wouldn’t stand a chance.

(And please don’t quote the one instance where a baby was the only survivor of a plane crash because the parent sheltered them; that was shit luck and the fact that it’s a known case makes it the rarity it is. How many babies died in plane or car crashes because they were on a lap?)

What do car crashes have to do with anything? Of course babies should be in car seats in cars.

As for data about how many babies died in plane crashes because they were on someone's lap...there aren't that many survival stories about plane crashes in general, so I have no idea, so I'd say survival at all is a rarity, seat or lap. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

Because if a show is making money when it goes to syndication it means that the studios are making a ton of money so the actors should definitely make some money. Besides, since a career in acting is uncertain and without any security, this might function like a way to survive between jobs. Most actors make too little money, the "stars" are a minority

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

What do car crashes have to do with anything? Of course babies should be in car seats in cars.

As for data about how many babies died in plane crashes because they were on someone's lap...there aren't that many survival stories about plane crashes in general, so I have no idea, so I'd say survival at all is a rarity, seat or lap. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/10/25/499172561/for-babies-on-a-plane-hot-drinks-and-co-sleeping-pose-a-risk#:~:text=Infants held on laps were,fell off their parents' laps.

"Infants held on laps were the most likely to be hurt — they made up 35.8 percent of the cases. Some of the injuries happened during turbulence, but some happened when babies simply fell off their parents' laps.

"People who have children are very much in tune with the fact that you cannot hold your child in your lap in a car," Rotta says. "Somehow, that wisdom doesn't apply to planes. Nobody thinks twice about it.""

"Rotta suggests booking an extra seat for infants under age 2 if parents can afford it, and putting them in a bassinet or a car seat approved by the Federal Aviation Administration."

So, even if they don't die in a crash, they could be hurt due to turbulence, etc.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, circumvent said:

I had never heard of Seabees and I think that, as amazing the work they do might be, they didn't work under the treat of an enemy because they were part of the invading side of things. In most cases, the invading side that destroyed the livelihood of the people they apparently built things for, so less amazing in my view (imperialism and colonization are never amazing).

I hadn't heard much about them either, but reading about them yesterday I saw several mentions of them working while under attack from snipers and one article said that ten were killed in Iraq while working. I suppose, if it doesn't count when they are on the side of the invaders, then that pretty much negates a whole lot of America military deaths.  I personally was against the war in Vietnam, Desert Storm, Bush's "War on Terror," whatever we were doing in Afghanistan, etc.  I'm just here to say I doubt that one Seabee is worth seven of Jack's builders.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, circumvent said:

I love the little Kevin actor. He is so convincing in his brooding.

He's so good he reinforced my comfort in deciding never to have children.   After the umpteenth time of him saying he wanted to go off of the diving board I wanted to strangle him lol.  I would have never had the patience. 

2 hours ago, circumvent said:

Because if a show is making money when it goes to syndication it means that the studios are making a ton of money so the actors should definitely make some money. Besides, since a career in acting is uncertain and without any security, this might function like a way to survive between jobs. Most actors make too little money, the "stars" are a minority

This is all well and good,  but what's really unfair is the disproportionate amount given to the creators/producers/ actors vs. the rest of the crew.  I agree they should make a lot more given that they take the risk (creators/producers) and bring in the audience (actors), but should those positions make more money than they can spend in 10 lifetimes while everyone else scrapes by and gets no back end?  There should be a touch more equity imo.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

He's so good he reinforced my comfort in deciding never to have children.   After the umpteenth time of him saying he wanted to go off of the diving board I wanted to strangle him lol.  I would have never had the patience. 

This is all well and good,  but what's really unfair is the disproportionate amount given to the creators/producers/ actors vs. the rest of the crew.  I agree they should make a lot more given that they take the risk (creators/producers) and bring in the audience (actors), but should those positions make more money than they can spend in 10 lifetimes while everyone else scrapes by and gets no back end?  There should be a touch more equity imo.

That is something the SAG fought for on behalf of its members.  The rest of the unions can also have their own deals in place.  Let's be honest here, actresses have an expiration date that a camera operator or a grip does not have.  They need the residuals especially if the show that made them famous ends when they are too old to land a new show.  The industry is hard on women.  

Getting back to this episode,  Kevin is always going to have as much money as the plot requires just like Randall.  The show has always been fluid.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I suppose, if it doesn't count when they are on the side of the invaders, then that pretty much negates a whole lot of America military deaths

It doesn't negate their deaths but I also don't idolize service members, especially because there is always atrocities being committed by some individuals. For sure, some of them are also victims of a propaganda machine and indoctrination, plus the culture they are thrown into. I am against wars, and I am against imperialism. The fact that some good things are done doesn't erase that much more evil is done, and that the "good stuff" is only needed as a PR campaign to keep invading places and destroying lives - which is all we seem to do since ever.

46 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I totally agree. Managerial classes will always dominate, That's the essence of capitalism, which has showbizz as a prime example: exploits talent, exploits "looks", exploits working class, cash in, rinse, repeat.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That is something the SAG fought for on behalf of its members.  The rest of the unions can also have their own deals in place.  Let's be honest here, actresses have an expiration date that a camera operator or a grip does not have.  They need the residuals especially if the show that made them famous ends when they are too old to land a new show.  The industry is hard on women.  

They have a union - IATSE - that almost stopped the whole industry last year. The final vote was not well received by all. They did not strike but I was hoping they would after hearing the absurd, terrible, dangerous conditions they are forced to work - things like having to drive for hours to work on a shoot, then having very little time to rest because things got delayed and while the actors rest, and directors have their assistants or other directors to step in, the crew is the same, and is in all scenes,  all angles.

Two articles about it

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/iatse-strike-authorization-vote-1234668605/

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/iatse-members-ratify-contract-1235112300/

• Love 1
On 3/17/2022 at 3:49 AM, Leeds said:

Yes.  I'm sorry but not all veterans deserve respect.

Only vet ever really known/spent time with was my step dad who spent half my childhood hitting me because of his PTSD episode and mum making excuses for it. I'm sure are nice ones out there and in general i respect those who fight for our freedom just personally haven't had good experience with them

On 3/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, marceline said:

Random question: what happened to Kate's neighbor who was recovering from a stroke? When Kevin was in Kate's house playing guitar with the twins, I kept thinking that she could probably use a friend to talk to and that's when I realized we haven't seen Gregory.

Timothy Odmunson, who plays Gregory, cohosts a podcast I listen to and he mentioned he recently filmed an episode of This Is Us. So we will be seeing Gregory again at some point.  Tim has made so much progress from his stroke, it will be nice to see Gregory’s progress too. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

None of you have seen that cinematic masterpiece The Fighting Seebees?  John Wayne's finest.

Nah, that would be either "Donovan's Reef" or "In Harm's Way."

🤗

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/16/2022 at 5:17 PM, Empress1 said:

Yeah, I’ve said the same. He seems to have unlimited wealth. I could believe tens of millions between The Manny salary & syndication, and maybe Randall or someone helped him invest wisely. In his drunken monologue he said he’d made “millions.” I’m surprised he doesn’t have any endorsements.

The fame thing does seem to come and go. He was famous enough that he had a paparazzo following him and Zoe read about his engagement in the tabloids - but apparently he wasn’t that famous when she was with him because she didn’t appear in the tabloids as his girlfriend. And he’s also apparently not famous enough that him struggling with twins on a plane would register. I can fully buy that guy not knowing who he is (apparently the actor was a soap star before but I’d never seen or heard of him until this show because soaps aren’t my thing) but based on what we’ve seen, someone would know. And there are some environments where people don’t approach celebs (in NYC, they’re just around and people don’t really pay them much mind), but I wouldn’t think that would be one such environment.

I am guessing Kevin has at least 10 million - I think the Manny was, what, 4-5 seasons? So he would've re-upped his contract at least once to reflect the popularity of the show (and it sounded like it was a very huge hit), so he probably got at least 100k per episode (I am thinking probably more like 200-500k per episode, though) - so roughly 22 episodes a season for a network comedy, 2.2 mil a season gross per season minimum. Of course, he probably lost a good chunk due to quitting the show.

He was also in a major film with Stallone, so that was probably a pretty penny (nowhere near Stallone money, but I would bet at least a million).

So let's say after taxes, he has minimum 5-7 million. If Randall helped him invest at least 2 mil of that in let's say an S&P fund - that's an average of 10% a year, so 200k a year.

With celebrities and NYC, yeah, you usually don't approach them. One time my dad did say hi to Michael Emerson because they'd usually happen to go on a walk at the same time a few days a week (My dad would go for a walk after lunch, Michael Emerson would walk his dog) - so one time my dad said "Hello - my family loves Person of Interest, you are so great in it!" and Michael Emerson smiled at him and said thanks.

But yes - I would expect someone on the plane to at least be like "OMG IT'S THE MANNY!" - I was expecting the flight attendant to at least wink to him and be like "I loved the Manny, it sucked once you left"

Edited by bros402
  • Love 7

The only reason Kevin questioned the capabilities of the construction crew was because his architect screwed up the specs for the foundation. For him to then denigrate the qualifications of veterans to build a residential building, apparently only because they are vets, he should first question his decision to put Nicky and Cassidy in charge of the project in the first place. 

• Love 6