Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

Geordie and Will are back solving crimes and catching the eyes of beautiful ladies (Will).

Glad to see how they incorporated Leonard in this season as the events of last season signaled that his presence wasn't going to be a sure thing. 

• Love 2

The Leonard poetry scene had me howling with laughter. 

Kept making me think back to the college café scene from An Extremely Goofy Movie. lol.

Mrs. C and Leonard always makes me smile.

1959. Wooowee.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the future lady troubles of Will. I just hope the romance is handled better than what we got with Sidney way back.

Larry's gotten worse under the new police boss guy. He was at his most enjoyable last season imo. 

The lady who played the engaged sister looked familiar, but I can't recall what I've seen her in.

• Love 3

Seriously, now Will is involved with a woman who is already attached? Do they have no other plots for the vicar? I barely survived Sidney's. Also, this isn't 1759, what is Maya doing with such a stick-in-the-mud as the new boss?

Leonard's coffee show and performance was a hoot.

I wonder if Mrs. C is ill.

Love Miss Scott and Cathy. The women on the show are so much better than their male counterparts.

• Like 5
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, nara said:

Leonard as a beatnik is everything. 

I was waiting for everyone to snap, their fingers instead of clapping.  maybe next week Leonard will grow a goatee and wear a beret.

15 minutes ago, Driad said:

The wreck of [the] Edmund Fitzgerald happened in England first, eh?

I kept singing the song in my head.   

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

The lady who played the engaged sister looked familiar, but I can't recall what I've seen her in.

I checked IMDB, and her name is Anne Wilson-Jones.  She was in 19 episodes of Victoria as Lady Emma Portman.

6 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:
24 minutes ago, Driad said:

The wreck of [the] Edmund Fitzgerald happened in England first, eh?

I kept singing the song in my head.   

That has to be the one of the greatest earworms ever!

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Seriously, now Will is involved with a woman who is already attached? Do they have no other plots for the vicar?

I was thinking, "Vicar goes to jazz club and gets lucky," was far too repetitive and then his new love turns out to be engaged to someone else!

I'm also tired of the Keating's marriage being shaky and I'm hoping they don't start centering shows around their young daughters.

I'll never get enough of Leonard and Mrs. C but they made me miss-trust Mr. C. at one point and it stuck.  I'll never like him.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I will be FFing thru Will's love life.  I couldn't care less.

IK,R? I did like the expression on Will's face when Maya was introduced as the boss's fiancée. Awkward!

11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:
11 hours ago, nara said:

I was waiting for everyone to snap, their fingers instead of clapping.  maybe next week Leonard will grow a goatee and wear a beret.

I did snap my fingers at home, hee!

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I'm also tired of the Keating's marriage being shaky

I'm ready for them to fish or cut bait with this. 

The Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior.

• Love 3

Are they setting up Will to be Sidney 2.0?  If so, no thanks.   I didn't realize that Georgie and Kathy had decided to separate last season - took me a couple of minutes to figure it out this episode.  

So the actress who plays Maya - where have we seen her before?  After a while, you watch enough British TV, you seem to see the same actors.   I've certainly seen the actress who played the younger sister as well.  

Wonder if the other Vicar (the one away on his honeymoon) will be back or if he's been written off for the season?  Loved Leonard as a Beatnik but for some reason I didn't think a Beat coffee house would have those pink and turquoise walls.  I really hope that he makes a success out of the place.  Trouble is brewing (pun intended) with Mrs. C - hopefully, it doesn't involve her husband.  

And of course, the new head cop is a Dick - because why wouldn't he be?  I'm beginning to think that British TV could use some new writers, or at least ones who don't keep recycling the same stuff over and over.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Wonder if the other Vicar (the one away on his honeymoon) will be back or if he's been written off for the season?

I thought Mrs. C made some comment that he'd accepted a job elsewhere, closer to where his wife was from. I assumed that was their way of writing him off permanently. Which is a shame, because I think Henry was basically my favorite character by the end of last season!

I wonder if they'll bother replacing him. I kind of think not since they so rarely focus on the church aspect of things. And it feels like they have enough subplots to juggle this season (Geordie/Cathy, the hierarchy at the police station, the café, whatever's up with Mrs. C, Will and the new boss's fiancée) in addition to the mystery of the week.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I checked IMDB, and her name is Anne Wilson-Jones.  She was in 19 episodes of Victoria as Lady Emma Portman.

Victoria? Talk about a blast from a past. Considering I never really vibed with any of the characters on that show I'm drawing a huge blank on that character. I'm gonna have to Google a pic of her in her costume. Lol.

I'm pretty disappointed with both the Will and Geordie plots. I'm not remotely interested in the Will plot (much as I like him as a character), and yea. we get that Geordie is a product of his time.  I'm not sure if I have the patience to sit through what I assume will be his increased awareness of smart. competent women through his direct contact with two of them. 

At this point, I'll probably only watch it for Leonard, who is wonderful.  I also like Geordie' secretary (Miss Scott?) but there is only so much she can do.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Victoria? Talk about a blast from a past. Considering I never really vibed with any of the characters on that show I'm drawing a huge blank on that character

I didn't recall her either.  I lost interest in Victoria when Rufus Sewell was no longer in it, and essentially hate-watched it that last season with the ghastly half sister.

5 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

didn't think a Beat coffee house would have those pink and turquoise walls.

Agreed.  Black and coffee would be better colors.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I also like Geordie' secretary (Miss Scott?) but there is only so much she can do.

She practically steals every scene she's in.

19 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I wonder if they'll bother replacing him.  [Henry]

Where would they put the replacement?  Geordie's staying in the vicarage.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I have zero interest in Will's love life. I know we have to accept the contrivance of having the vicar involved in all the murder investications but the love life of first Sidney and now Will is so tedious to me. I just can't buy these country vicars being so promiscuous. It takes me out of the story big time. Will should be married with kids by now or at least be looking for a wife who would make a suitable vicars wife.

• Like 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 14

It was shocking to see a vicar provocatively dancing in a bar, and with a stranger.  Then he took her to the vicarage for sex.  🙄 Doesn't seem like something a vicar would do.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

It was shocking to see a vicar provocatively dancing in a bar, and with a stranger.  Then he took her to the vicarage for sex.  🙄 Doesn't seem like something a vicar would do.

It's something a Grantchester vicar would do, at least the last two vicars.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7

Dear Leonard and his hilarious poetry;  I am so glad he and Mrs. C remain close.  I will never like or trust Mr. C but at least he ponied up the money to help with the tea shop/poet's society.  Does Mrs. C have a health issue or is it something else?  Guess we will find out.

Sadly, both Geordie and Will have become one note and the least interesting characters.

Geordie's new boss is a nasty piece of work.  And he's turned Larry into an incompetant boob.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Geordie's new boss is a nasty piece of work.

I don't think he's that bad. He's set up at the antagonist, and the way the show is writing him is rather clichéd, but wanting Geordie to do paperwork is hardly OMG TEH EVUL!!11!! As far as Larry goes, I think he's the bigger problem. He has no imagination and also seems pretty sloppy when it comes to investigating. At least we don't get that much of him per episode.

• Love 1

I may finally be done with this show.  Sydney and his sexual encounters were getting to be too much for me so I was glad when we got a new vicar.  However, like others, I just don't like the story lines of vicars being so blatantly sexual.  And there wasn't even a whiff of knowing anything about Maya other than he was sexually attracted to her.  Especially in the 1950s.  If one doesn't want to follow the traditional vicar/Christian life, then just leave and get another job.  Here's an idea-join the police force.  But don't keep a job if one's life doesn't align with the expectations of that job.  

Oh Grantchester, I loved this show in the early seasons of both Sydney and Will, but then it seemed to lose focus from the murders/solving and thought that the viewers wanted to watch vicars having sex.

• Like 4
  • Applause 10
  • Love 5

Well, both the vicars were/are being played by attractive young men so of course they are going to amp up the sex appeal. If they looked like Father Brown we wouldn't be getting all this sexual emphasis. And obviously people would have had sex lives back then too.

But you can't convince me that a country vicar would be this open and blatant about his sex life and bring his dates back to the vicarage for sex. He wouldn't have his job for long. It makes me roll my eyes.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

Please excuse me if I'm incorrect because I'm not Anglican, but wouldn't pre-marital sex still be considered a sin back in the 1950s?   And in what appears to be a relatively small town, everybody knows everybody and Will's sleeping around would be  talked about.   For those times, it just doesn't seem realistic but neither is it where the top cop there would have a non-white fiance.    And speaking of, you almost have to feel bad for that guy who has a fiance who seems to think nothing of meeting a guy in a jazz joint and going off to bed with him.    Especially in the 1950s where such young women who behaved like that were judged harshly and usually called words beginning with s , t, or w.  

Edited by 12catcrazy
typo & edit
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
On 7/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Please excuse me if I'm incorrect because I'm not Anglican, but wouldn't pre-marital sex still be considered a sin back in the 1950s?   And in what appears to be a relatively small town, everybody knows everybody and Will's sleeping around would be  talked about.   For those times, it just doesn't seem realistic but neither is it where the top cop there would have a non-white fiance.    And speaking of, you almost have to feel bad for that guy who has a fiance who seems to think nothing of meeting a guy in a jazz joint and going off to bed with him.    Especially in the 1950s where such young women who behaved like that were judged harshly and usually called words beginning with s , t, or w.  

Since when have all people followed what a powerful religion says to do? Hell, the men in charge of that powerful religion often don't lol. And it'd be a great way to end an engagement that you'd been forced into or with a man you really didn't like or to get your mind off it. As for small town not really. The jazz club was in Cambridge I think, and people will be going in and out of the vicarage all the time. 

• Love 1

Not all people follow what a religion says to do, but when one is an official representative there should be an expectation of believing/upholding the tenets of the faith.  Yes, I know there has always been disregard by those within the church/faith, but it does not mean that everyone is that way.  And, just for me, it is not that enjoyable as entertainment to watch such blatant disregard.  In my opinion only it would make for sense for Sydney/Will to find other career paths that would allow them to live their lives as they wanted without such blatant hypocrisy (and, believe it or not, even those without any faith at all may be hypocritical about things-hypocrisy is not just limited to clergy/church members).  It also seems like the show is trying to be provocative when I just want to watch the mysteries being solved.  I know I don't 'speak' for anyone else, but this is how I feel.

• Like 6
  • Love 14

I’m not even religious and the vicars’ (Will and Sidney before him) sexual antics annoy me. And then to introduce yet another love interest who’s betrothed/married to a different man is just lazy and insulting to viewers who’ve been around since the beginning. Here’s a challenge: put Will in a stable relationship, marry him off, and let’s see the drama between Mrs. Will (the presumed Lady of the House) and Mrs. C. (the real Lady of the House). 

Better yet, drop Will and Geordie and the murders (though that would hurt because I adore Robson Green), and let’s have a buddy comedy starring Mrs. C. as Leonard drags her kicking and screaming into the Beat Generation. I love those two so very much.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 15
On 7/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, 12catcrazy said:

Please excuse me if I'm incorrect because I'm not Anglican, but wouldn't pre-marital sex still be considered a sin back in the 1950s? 

Yes, and it still is although, with churches following social attitudes the way they do, it's now more of a case of pre-marital sex is a sin but we forgive it instantly and look the other way as fast as we forgive Judy Obscure's obvious sin of gluttony. 

But the fifties were very different and nice  young women were expected to dance like ladies and save sex,  until he put a ring on it, if not until the wedding night.

Even if he got drunk and fell into bed with a sexy woman, a young vicar like Will  probably wouldn't have respected a woman who had sex on the first date and definitely wouldn't have been thinking he had found The One. 

I like Mrs. MacGuire in the early episodes because she reminded us of the conventions of the period and what other older women in the congregation would be thinking.  I think we could have seen her growth as a more open minded loving person without having to lose every bit of that.  What happened to the woman who was shocked over red lipstick?

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Better yet, drop Will and Geordie and the murders (though that would hurt because I adore Robson Green), and let’s have a buddy comedy starring Mrs. C. as Leonard drags her kicking and screaming into the Beat Generation. I love those two so very much.

This a thousand times!  

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Here’s a challenge: put Will in a stable relationship, marry him off, and let’s see the drama between Mrs. Will (the presumed Lady of the House) and Mrs. C. (the real Lady of the House). 

This part totally works for me. As long we still have the mysteries plus the conversations between Will and Geordie, I'm in. And one more thing that I admit is the extremely shallow end of the pool, there has to be the occasional scene of Will shirtless, in a tank top, or the tight polo shirts or undershirts.  

10 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

let’s have a buddy comedy starring Mrs. C. as Leonard drags her kicking and screaming into the Beat Generation. I love those two so very much.

I like the idea of Mrs. C becoming a sort of den mother to beatniks and people who have been cut off from or disowned by thier family for having an uncoventional lifestyle. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 2
  • Love 8
On 7/11/2022 at 7:13 AM, JudyObscure said:

I was thinking, "Vicar goes to jazz club and gets lucky," was far too repetitive and then his new love turns out to be engaged to someone else!

They made the vicar’s jazz club hook-up someone else’s fiancée, instead of two different people. 

Will is indiscreet, yes, and conventional, era appropriate wisdom would have him married off. He also has a lot of damage so is looking for love in all the wrong places, rather than the pews. 

Amanda and Hildegard had their detractors so perhaps the show is delaying the one as long as possible in favor of hot vicar? 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:06 PM, nara said:

Though I also wondered if he wasn't boiling in that jumper!

On 7/10/2022 at 10:14 PM, sugarbaker design said:

I am loving Miss Scott! I will be FFing thru Will's love life.  I couldn't care less.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, statsgirl said:

Seriously, now Will is involved with a woman who is already attached? Do they have no other plots for the vicar? I barely survived Sidney's. Also, this isn't 1759, what is Maya doing with such a stick-in-the-mud as the new boss?

Leonard's coffee show and performance was a hoot.

I wonder if Mrs. C is ill.

Love Miss Scott and Cathy. The women on the show are so much better than their male counterparts.

OMG, what is it with this town and their vicars? It's not even that they're blatantly sleeping around at the vicarage when yes, they no doubt would actually be looking for a "suitable" wife, but that they're such ridiculous drama queens! Will dances provocatively with some flirty girl at a bar, sleeps with her later and now he's never felt this way before? It's like the two of them just want to create some dumb mess with each other and that's the only attraction. If she dumped her fiance they wouldn't be attracted to each other any more because they'd just be a couple of ordinary attractive people dating.

It is kind of funny how Geordie is suddenly being held to modern standards. He's supposed to think about not sending the kids home wet now? You bet that wouldn't occur to him.

The tea house colors do surprise me given the theme, but at least it's better without those terrible banners Mrs. C was hanging up.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Sidney's name on the box! Our first direct (kind of?) Sidney reference in how long? Very fitting considering this awful Will romance nonsense.

Are we really supposed to buy Will being head-over-heels in love with the fiancee after sleeping with her twice and knowing almost zilch about her???

Will u idiot. Let's hope u actually keep your word and this fling is done.

The slow motion shots of Will walking away have been hilarious. This is twice now. Lol. Like...I just can't take this romantic fling seriously. It's laughably bad. 

Bonnie rocks.

Mrs. C nooooooooooooo :'(

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7

High sex drive. Lust. Infatuation. Rushing things with someone running from it with someone else. 

Bonnie seems nice. I get a “Jerry Maguire” vibe from her and the little boy off the top. And, Will pairing up with someone in Geordie’s family would make sense given how close they are. Even Geordie’s eldest daughter is still a kid. 

Bonnie based on the conversation with Will is Maya 10 years on regretting a youthful infatuation that went too far. First priority has to be her son. 

Will needs to learn the take tea, walks, and pictures part of dating and have a real first love. 

Mrs. C. and her son Leonard, lovely. Glad Mrs. C. has Leonard and something treatable. 

Will finally saw himself in the john. Still chasing the “passion and pain.” Good job walking away this time, Will. 

• Love 7

I hated the endless Sydney-and-the-not-fiance storyline. So what do they do? Repeat it with Will.  Does becoming a vicar make you stupid? So Maya is engaged.  Last I heard you can break engagements. There has even been divorce since Henry VIII. So if she wanted to be with Will, she could do it.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:39 PM, magdalene said:

Well, both the vicars were/are being played by attractive young men so of course they are going to amp up the sex appeal. If they looked like Father Brown we wouldn't be getting all this sexual emphasis.

Father Brown is also Catholic although I have no doubt that this show would make him young and promiscuous.

I missed a part of the middle of the episode.  Did they explain why Mrs. C  isn't telling her husband that she's worried? It's nice that she has Leonard but her husband needs to be her support.

I liked the doctor telling Mrs. C. that she's a strong woman, she can take the pain. That as typical of the time, that women's pain was dismissed or called hysteria.

If Will is on call, Cathy shouldn't be mad at him that he can't take the kids on his Saturday. I like Cathy but she needs to tone down the bitterness.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Did they explain why Mrs. C  isn't telling her husband that she's worried? It's nice that she has Leonard but her husband needs to be her support.

She told Leonard it was because she found it too embarrassing. Leonard only got the story from her because he phrased his questions in a way that allowed her not to have to be direct. 

Leonard being called her son in the doctor’s office got me a little misty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 13
53 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Even Geordie’s eldest daughter is still a kid. 

I'm not sure if I could go that far. Esme is not a grown-up but she's in her teens already. 

53 minutes ago, ComeWhatMay said:

Mrs. C. and her son Leonard, lovely. Glad Mrs. C. has Leonard and something treatable. 

Agreed. I wondering what the survival rate would be at the time. I know many types of cancer were a death sentence with little chance of survival. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case for Mrs. C because she is wonderful and I couldn't imagine the show without her. 

17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Does becoming a vicar make you stupid?

I firmly believe that love makes you stupid. It doesn't matter what you do for a living or who you are attracted to. Love makes you stupid. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I firmly believe that love makes you stupid. It doesn't matter what you do for a living or who you are attracted to. Love makes you stupid. 

TBF, the kind of stupid the vicars on this show get isn't usually about love so much as drama. If it were just love Sydney would have gotten married and Maya would just leave her fiance. Instead it's more like just a love of drama, creating messy situations that involve a lot of people to avoid being with the person you love.

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Agreed. I wondering what the survival rate would be at the time. I know many types of cancer were a death sentence with little chance of survival. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case for Mrs. C because she is wonderful and I couldn't imagine the show without her. 

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I know the doctor called it cancer but I wondered if they only knew there was a tumor and it could be benign. I dont know what kind of tests they had then.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Well it was nice to see Charlotte Richie (Bonnie) again after her sad death on "Call the Midwife."  I guess the actress is type cast as Vicar's wife.  I feel sure she's being set up as the true-love, nice girl for Will.  I'm guessing  we're done with the wild one -- at least until she shows up at the police station now and then to make Will look sad. I can't take many more scenes of lying on the sofa while playing sad music, it's so teenage.

Cathy had better soften up and take Geordie home pretty soon or she might lose him to Miss Scott.  I feel some sparks there.

I liked the mystery at the brothel and the lessons the men got about what fools they can be.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Sidney's name on the box! Our first direct (kind of?) Sidney reference in how long? Very fitting considering this awful Will romance nonsense.

Are we really supposed to buy Will being head-over-heels in love with the fiancee after sleeping with her twice and knowing almost zilch about her???

Will u idiot. Let's hope u actually keep your word and this fling is done.

In addition to Will not knowing anything about Maya, there doesn’t appear to be any chemistry between the two of them. I rewatched the very first episode and felt like there was a lot more heat and longing (and humor) between Sidney and Amanda…

• Love 4
1 hour ago, nara said:

In addition to Will not knowing anything about Maya, there doesn’t appear to be any chemistry between the two of them. 

I agree.  And he dances with her, takes her back for sex and suddenly it's trooooluvvvvv.  Totally unbelievable on all counts.  They don't sit and talk, they have nothing in common, but based on sneaking in and out of his bedroom he decides he has to marry her.  It's absurd.

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Well it was nice to see Charlotte Richie (Bonnie) again after her sad death on "Call the Midwife." 

I knew she looked familiar but could not place her!  Hopefully she sticks around, she seems like she has a lot more chemistry with Will.

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I liked the doctor telling Mrs. C. that she's a strong woman, she can take the pain. That as typical of the time, that women's pain was dismissed or called hysteria.

I wanted to reach through the screen and smack him but that was typical of the times.  I don't know how he assumes that the tumor is cancerous, though.  Not sure how he came to that conclusion with a house call.

My son Leonard was priceless.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I agree.  And he dances with her, takes her back for sex and suddenly it's trooooluvvvvv.  Totally unbelievable on all counts.  They don't sit and talk, they have nothing in common, but based on sneaking in and out of his bedroom he decides he has to marry her.  It's absurd.

Everybody seems to think that's unbelievable, but just sitting here, I can remember three different men who proposed to me after the first date. (I refused to go out with any of them again.) I think it ties in with the theme of the episode that men are the true idiotic romantics who meet a woman that fits their personal fantasy life and superimpose all sorts of great qualities on them.  It was always after they got to know me that they lost interest.

• Like 2
  • Love 2