Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/18/2022 at 3:28 AM, JudyObscure said:

Cathy had better soften up and take Geordie home pretty soon or she might lose him to Miss Scott.

It might work the other way if Cathy convinces Miss Scott to "go Sapphic" again. 

Did anyone else notice they showed last week's credits at the end of the episode? No new red letters to ponder. (And no credits for the actors who were new this week. I had to check IMDB to verify that blonde Bonnie was played by the doomed brunette midwife.)

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2

I forgot to visit this forum on Monday, but you all have mentioned the things about the show that bothered me so much this past episode. 

Will lying in the church, asking God to tell him what to do, when he darn well knows already what to do may have finished him off for me as a character to care about. At least it wasn't everyone on holiday together like last season!

As many others have said, I am enjoying Leonard so much this season, and his relationship with Mrs. C!  I hope she's going to be okay. Maybe Will can get up off the floor and start praying for her. 

I thought this week's murder was a bit interesting. 

And as far as Bonnie not wearing foundation garments, I think it was meant to show that she was being a caregiver, a mother role. You can bet Kathy has on foundation garments galore at her BIG job at the department store. But probably doesn't wear them when she's meant to be watching the kids. 

That's all I've got.   I keep watching for Leonard, but often find myself yelling at Will, even though I know he can't possibly hear me. 

• Love 2
On 7/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, Driad said:

Leonard is unemployed now, right? So the cafe is important financially to him. Where is he living?

Maybe with Daniel?

On 7/19/2022 at 1:58 PM, seacliffsal said:

So, to continue the drama and angst, does it mean Will may start a relationship with Bonnie and then Maya shows up pregnant?

I sincerely hope not.  The kid would have to be Will's, I can't see that stick-up-his-ass pompous cop even considering pre-marital sex.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, Cetacean said:

I wanted to reach through the screen  and smack him but that was typical of the times.  I don't know how he assumes that the tumor is cancerous, though.  Not sure how he came to that conclusion with a house call.

My son Leonard was priceless.

Mrs. C told Leonard that tests had been run and that she would go to the doctor to get results. That’s when she asked if Leonard would go with her, or he offered, don’t remember which.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2022 at 8:36 AM, Cetacean said:

I don't know how he assumes that the tumor is cancerous, though.

Likely he had done a Pap smear (or something similar) and sent it for analysis.

(edited)
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Pap smears detect cervical cancer.  He said she had a tumor which would be intrauterine and not detectable with a pap smear.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, cardigirl said:
18 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Will lying in the church, asking God to tell him what to do, when he darn well knows already what to do may have finished him off for me as a character to care about.

LOL  I thought Maya's fiance had found out and punched him.  I expect she's got that stuffy guy convinced she's a virgin, saving herself for him on the wedding night.

I'm not a priest, but I've watched a lot on the TV and even I know that if you want to pray for something in church you kneel  in the pew.  If it's really super important you kneel before the altar and if you are in absolutely gut wrenching agony and you want to make a big display of humility you prostrate yourself!

Sidney was so much better at angst.  Will's big open face with the boyish grin just doesn't fit the part for me in any way.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Driad said:

This is the 1950s - they didn't have the types of testing they have today.  Back then they could do a D & C (which is what is still done today if you are bleeding when you aren't supposed to be) and possibly some kind of cervical scraping to get biopsy samples.  I don't think that they had sonograms at that point in time.  Unfortunately, women usually didn't start having symptoms until things were advanced, which is why early detection is so important today.  

• Useful 2

While the pap was introduced then, the tools to diagnose an intrauterine tumor that we use today - CT, ultrasound, etc. were not.

A pap smear will not diagnose an intrauterine tumor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

A pap smear will not diagnose an intrauterine tumor.

Thank you, I said "or something similar," figuring the doctor had some test result to make him suspect a tumor. Unfortunate that he was so vague, but AIUI many doctors were vague with patients at the time.

Anyway I hope that Mrs. C. will recover, and will be able to talk with her husband about this.  Her "son" Leonard will be helpful.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Anyway I hope that Mrs. C. will recover, and will be able to talk with her husband about this.  Her "son" Leonard will be helpful.

It was a nice thematic connection the way the madam was talking about the church making everyone feel guilty about sex. Meanwhile the most pious of characters who is always trying to follow the proper rules is too embarrassed to share a potentially fatal diagnosis with her husband and just stops sleeping in the same bed with him because she can't bear to remind the guy she's married to that she has a uterus. 🙄

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I get leaving off the hose and garter belt (maybe even the girdle), but leaving off the slip? I’m gonna have to ask my mom now.

I apologize for quoting myself.

Just got off the phone with my mom, and she confirmed that no matter how casual the circumstances, Bonnie would have been in hose, girdle, and slip. I pressed, and reminded her that it was summer and she was in a cotton dress - would she really be wearing all those things? 

Mom insisted that she would, especially since she was headed for the vicarage, no matter how casual the visit. Even if for some reason she left off the hose, she would absolutely be in the girdle and slip, because - I quote - “No lady would ever be seen in public with a jiggly butt.”

So there you go, from the mouth of a lady who to this day wears hose with sandals.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Thanks Sharifa's mom!  That's why I brought it up.  I can still remember the first time I saw a woman dressed in a suit and heels but no hose.  I was as shocked as I would have been if a man had walked in wearing a suit and tie but no shirt.  I honestly thought she might be mentally ill.

Another anachronistic thing about Bonnie is the obviously bleached hair with an inch of black roots.  Just no. You might have seen that on one of the madam's working girls, but not on Bonnie.

I don't mean to pick  on Bonnie, I like her, I just think if the show is going to be set in the 1950's they should try to get it right.  Maybe check first with Sharifa's mom!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

LOL  I thought Maya's fiance had found out and punched him.  I expect she's got that stuffy guy convinced she's a virgin, saving herself for him on the wedding night.

I'm not a priest, but I've watched a lot on the TV and even I know that if you want to pray for something in church you kneel  in the pew.  If it's really super important you kneel before the altar and if you are in absolutely gut wrenching agony and you want to make a big display of humility you prostrate yourself!

Sidney was so much better at angst.  Will's big open face with the boyish grin just doesn't fit the part for me in any way.

yeah, just imaging Will thinking about getting down there in position...  how ridiculous

would have been much more effective to show him humbly kneeling

not that he did much to resolve the issue

• Love 4

Will knows what he has to do, he just wants someone to say it out loud. You don't fuck someone's fiancée, and you don't make out in that someone's place of business, either. Will is being a total child here. I don't care what his issues with women are. He's acting like a complete douche.

• Applause 3
  • Love 6
(edited)

Geordie was speaking for the audience in that beginning scene where he and Leonard were discussing Will. 

Leonard was...*chef's kiss*. Simply fantastic this episode. 

The bit of Geordie and Leonard together that we got was great.

"up your bum!" 

Mrs. C is breaking my heart :(

It was actually nice to not have Will involved with the murder mystery this week. 

Some lovely scenes with Geordie and Miss Scott too. 

Best episode of the season so far by a million miles.

*The homeless person mystery has been intriguing. I have a sneaking suspicion that the real culprit is the college classmate that was getting along with Leonard, but we'll see.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 4
  • Love 10

Poor Mrs. C. I had a feeling she had an abortion after an episode in the Sidney era. Nice continuity. 

The church is lesser for not having Leonard. 

Will is not sure how to behave with Bonnie. Can’t just hop in to bed. Progress. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

I don't know what the show is going for but Will is both boring and unbearably sanctimonious at the same time. When he appears on my screen, it's time for my solitaire game. I guess we're supposed to think that he's wonderful with the kid but if someone countermanded my decisions when I was discipling my kid like that, I would be out the door so fast.

Leonard was wonderful. "How does he feel about ex-cons?"  LOL.

Mrs. C. lost me today. I remember the 50s and there were therapists then.  Yes, it's scary having a tumor but she needs to talk to a real person (as well as her husband), not threaten God.

I think that professor would fit in well in my college.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Mrs. C. lost me today. I remember the 50s and there were therapists then.  Yes, it's scary having a tumor but she needs to talk to a real person (as well as her husband), not threaten God.

This is why you don't make deals with God, because first, God doesn't actually give you a receipt so maybe you didn't make a deal and second, you just decide yourself what counts as God's part. Yes, you got cancer, but you also recently got happily married and rich! Plus, everyone dies, so how is it only a punishment when you might do it? 

Loved Leonard and especially love watching him make more friends. He's a much more fun assistant in investigations than Will is. Can't believe he's still moping over that stupid love interest. As the Sassy Gay Friend says, "You love her? You met her Sunday. It's barely Thursday morning. Slow down, crazy. Slow down."

• Love 9

Because Grantchester is a place and not the name of the title character they would very easily drop Will and let the focus shift to Leonard.  I absolutely love where they are going with him this season!  And while  he was involved in the murders it was not so "sidekick" as Will and Geordie usually are.  We saw Geordie working alone on this, puzzling it out with the help of Miss Scott.

I feel for Mrs. C but that's the trap you fall into when totally invested in the "supreme being" of your choice.  It's way easier being an atheist.  Not that you can't stomp around being mad at misfortune but you can't focus on much except bad luck/good luck or just plain fate.

Mrs. C's admonishment of god in the church reminded me of The West Wing when Bartlet did the same thing, only he cursed god in Latin.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

This is why you don't make deals with God, because first, God doesn't actually give you a receipt so maybe you didn't make a deal and second, you just decide yourself what counts as God's part. Yes, you got cancer, but you also recently got happily married and rich! Plus, everyone dies, so how is it only a punishment when you might do it? 

Hear, hear!  I  despise  that sort of self-centered theology.  If  Mrs. C really thinks cancer is a punishment from God then she must have had a whole lots of judgmental, holier-than-thou thoughts about her friends who fell ill over the years.

I also find it hard to understand it when a strong believer curses God the way she did.  That would scare me any time, particularly just before an operation.  I still felt very sorry for her when she was sobbing in the kitchen.

I liked this episode, Leonard and Geordie are my favorites.  I particularly like any interaction between Geordie and Miss Scott -- not being a fan of Kathy's, I  can't help but enjoy the little signs of attraction.

Will's little funeral sermon at the end, about not looking away from the homeless, was the sort of little final lessons they used to have on the show and I had missed that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Leonard was the best. From “How does he feel about ex-cons?” to taking charge: “This is the way (no, sorry, this is the way), this is the room” to “..and…your lamb…was slightly over-cooked,” he stole every scene. I didn’t miss Will at all.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, ComeWhatMay said:

The church is lesser for not having Leonard. 

I don't know. I like that Leonard can use his pastoral training to help people without the baggage of the church. He has a natural compassion, of course, that is a tremendous asset no matter where he deploys it.

Tom Brittney can direct more episodes if it means we get Leonard and Geordie as partners. They were terrific together. I'm done with pouty Will, so it was nice to see overenthusiastic Leonard take over for an episode.

Mrs. C's "Up your bum!" outburst in the restaurant was hilarious, as was Leonard's final dig about the lamb. Poor Mrs. C., though. Bargaining with God is never going to work in the bargainer's favor. It's not as if living a holy life has been a joy for her.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Mrs. C's admonishment of god in the church reminded me of The West Wing when Bartlet did the same thing, only he cursed god in Latin.

I had the exact same thought.

I can totally believe that Mrs. Chapman has never orderded or had champagne before. I have a harder time believing she doesn't know how to pronounce it. I think that at some point in her life she would have heard the word in a movie, play, or radio show. 

I wonder if we will see Leonard's new friend again. He was cute and he and Leonard have the same taste in poetry.  

• Like 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I have a harder time believing she doesn't know how to pronounce it.

Yeah, I thought that was laying it on a bit too thick. It was enough for me that Mrs. C felt that everyone was looking at her even though they clearly weren't until she got drunk. And that was probably more out of curiosity than because they thought she was low-class.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I feel for Mrs. C but that's the trap you fall into when totally invested in the "supreme being" of your choice.  It's way easier being an atheist.  Not that you can't stomp around being mad at misfortune but you can't focus on much except bad luck/good luck or just plain fate.

Exactly. You got cancer because of how cancer happens. You lost babies because of something physical that might or might not have ended your first pregnancy anyway.

3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I can totally believe that Mrs. Chapman has never orderded or had champagne before. I have a harder time believing she doesn't know how to pronounce it. I think that at some point in her life she would have heard the word in a movie, play, or radio show. 

Yes, it's like...if she doesn't know it was champagne, why even order it? Just because it was the most expensive? If so, she'd probably call it whatever the name of the vintage was.

7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't know. I like that Leonard can use his pastoral training to help people without the baggage of the church. He has a natural compassion, of course, that is a tremendous asset no matter where he deploys it.

I love that it ended with Leonard using his tea shop as a soup kitchen. Leonard's really showing himself to be a person who gets in and does stuff. The church really might have been just a distraction for him. Like focusing on writing sermons etc. instead of just talking to people and finding ways to get them what they need. I hope he gets more and more radical. (His lamb comment was fantastic.)

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Leonard seems like someone who was constricted by following the teachings of the church. Now that he was forced to leave, he can love who he wants and is free to explore all parts of his beliefs and personality.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I have a harder time believing she doesn't know how to pronounce it. I think that at some point in her life she would have heard the word in a movie, play, or radio show.

I don’t know. I grew up mis-hearing hors d’oeuvres as “orderbs.” Then, on the rare occasions that I saw the word in print I thought the word was pronounced “whores DOUGHverz” (100% true story) and never connected it with “orderbs.” It wasn’t until I took a semester of college French that I made the connection.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

The church really might have been just a distraction for him. Like focusing on writing sermons etc. instead of just talking to people and finding ways to get them what they need. I hope he gets more and more radical.

I wonder if he just lacked imagination, for want of a better word, and thought if he wanted to serve in an overtly Christian manner he had to be a part of the church. Or he was told that was the best way to serve. Clearly for Leonard it wasn't. There are many ways to serve. He's much more successful now.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Maybe Leonard thought that going into the church would "cure" his homosexuality. It was a common enough reason for entering the Catholic priesthood. (And failed as miserably there as it did for Leonard.)

(To be clear, I didn't really mean cured, just that in the 50s homosexuality was considered a deviant condition to be cured.)

• Like 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Except she had done the bargaining before, at 15-“Let me live and I’ll lead a pious life.” Since she survived the abortion, she kept her word (much as she seems to regret it). She feels totally betrayed and abandoned now.  I never believed it to be in her nature, however, to lash out and alienate her loved ones as demonstrated here. A bit over the top.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Maybe Leonard thought that going into the church would "cure" his homosexuality. It was a common enough reason for entering the Catholic priesthood. (And failed as miserably there as it did for Leonard.)

(To be clear, I didn't really mean cured, just that in the 50s homosexuality was considered a deviant condition to be cured.)

He probably did, or at least figured his position would keep him away from temptation. But remember, when he first arrived, he rabidly avoided even speaking to anyone but Sidney. His sermons never made sense to the congregation.  I love that his experiences have led him this far. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Agreed.  Especially since unlike the Catholics, the clerics he was alongside were able to marry and have children.  That would supposedly knock all the gay out of a person.   And if you go to JAIL for it, it was definitely considered deviant and evil.  

I liked Leonard when he was with the church, but now I just adore his character.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Daff said:

I never believed it to be in her nature, however, to lash out and alienate her loved ones as demonstrated here. A bit over the top.

Yep, that potato dump onto the floor set me back.  Reminds me of the people who won't tell their partner what's wrong, they just expect them to magically KNOW, if they CARE about them.  

Strictly fear and disappointment based, from my perspective. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I don’t know. I grew up mis-hearing hors d’oeuvres as “orderbs.” Then, on the rare occasions that I saw the word in print I thought the word was pronounced “whores DOUGHverz” (100% true story) and never connected it with “orderbs.” It wasn’t until I took a semester of college French that I made the connection.

Until I was an adult, I thought there were two towns in California -- one named La Jolla (rhymes with La Dolla) and one named La Hoya, so I believed that hearing "champain" and seeing "champagne" would mess up a nervous older person.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, LGraves65 said:

Until I was an adult, I thought there were two towns in California -- one named La Jolla (rhymes with La Dolla) and one named La Hoya, so I believed that hearing "champain" and seeing "champagne" would mess up a nervous older person.

Now that I think about it, it's possible that she saw it written down and thought she'd been mispronouncing it all this time, on the rare times she said/heard it.

• Like 1

Wow. I didn't see the abortion angle coming with Mrs C.  I guess that explains why she is so angry now - she made the deal with God and feels that she is being punished.  But, her behavior is being made to be so over the top.  All of her pent up resentment is really coming to the surface.   The Up Your Bum scene was really funny though.  Nowadays that would be a viral video moment.  

Loved, loved, loved Leonard in this episode!  More of him working a case with Geordie please!  But where is Daniel?  I hope that they are not setting up Leonard with that guy from the college.  But as somebody else said, I'm wondering if he is going to turn out to have something to do with the homeless guy murders or if they are done with that this season?

And I really like Bonnie.  There is just something really charming about her (and the kid who plays her son is really cute but in kind of a weird way).  I normally don't "ship" characters in TV shows but in this case, I wouldn't mind seeing Bonnie and Will wind up together.  Something tells me that we haven't seen the last of Maya though (and I'm still feeling some kind of abortion "thing" is going to happen with her.  She will either be a back alley victim, or a woman who helps other women in getting abortions, which were still illegal in England at that time).  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Driad said:

Since the show is getting into gynecological & obstetric topics ... this is 1959, right?  Call the Midwife started with 1957, so there is overlap.

Interesting comparison! With the caveat of setting-village vs. urban. 

(edited)
On 7/26/2022 at 7:21 AM, Daff said:

I never believed it to be in her nature, however, to lash out and alienate her loved ones as demonstrated here. A bit over the top.

But she thinks she's dying!  If there's ever a time to go over the top it's when you think you're dying.

It's often been said that sometimes one needs a breakdown in order to have a breakthrough, that's where Mrs. C is at now.  I see in future episodes Mrs. C coming to a place where she appreciates what she does have (not everyone is fortunate to have a loving partner and devoted son), finding a new version of a higher power (not a punishing one), regardless of her diagnosis.

Even in a supporting role Will continues to grate, while this episode practically shines with focuses on Geordie, Leonard, Mrs. C and Miss Scott.

Edited by sugarbaker design
Will, not Sidney!
  • Love 5

I wish they would be clear about Leonard's standing as a cleric at this time.  The last time we saw him in prison he was preaching a really inspiring sermon to the other inmates. 

He had already learned to make his sermons more relevant than the high brow ones he started with in Grantchester, and his prison time was making his messages even more meaningful to people like the homeless. 

As we saw in this episode people need more than food and a bath, they need hope and a feeling of worth.  I'd like to see Leonard with a street front church where he could combine his ministry with the practical help.  Being connected with the church would also provide financial backing.  His coffee house sure didn't look like it was going to support a free food enterprise all by itself.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I wish they would be clear about Leonard's standing as a cleric at this time.  The last time we saw him in prison he was preaching a really inspiring sermon to the other inmates. 

He's definitely out of the Anglican church. In prison he was likely a volunteer minister, and I doubt he needed formal credentials for that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’m loving this season and I binged to the end on Passport. Great stuff coming. I skipped all of last season and Leonard’s Shawshank Redemption, so I’m going to go back and watch. I had given up on this show for a while but I think it’s found its footing now. There are expanded roles for all characters. Yes a lot of anachronistic stuff, especially about gay acceptance, but I guess that could more likely happen in a college town. 
Everyone who likes Leonard should check out Chelsea Detective. Al Weaver has a part on that. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

He had already learned to make his sermons more relevant than the high brow ones he started with in Grantchester, and his prison time was making his messages even more meaningful to people like the homeless. 

As we saw in this episode people need more than food and a bath, they need hope and a feeling of worth.  I'd like to see Leonard with a street front church where he could combine his ministry with the practical help.  Being connected with the church would also provide financial backing.  His coffee house sure didn't look like it was going to support a free food enterprise all by itself.

I just assumed his imprisonment precluded him ever being able to legitimately minister to a congregation or be part of an established church.  I like him setting up his own ad-hoc ministry, by feeding the homeless, as we saw at the end of the episode.  

He's definitely an asset to the community, and a very big fan favorite.  If the writers are smart, they'll expand his part a bit, without getting too sanctimonious and preachy.  We've still got Will for that.  

1 minute ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Everyone who likes Leonard should check out Chelsea Detective. Al Weaver has a part on that. 

He's great in that, and almost unrecognizable!

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

Even in a supporting role Sidney continues to grate

You mean Will?  I thought he was very sweet with Bonnie's son, who misses his father.  I think Will might become his stepfather in the future.

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1