Jump to content

Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion


  • Reply
  • Start Topic

Recommended Posts

On 8/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, JudyObscure said:

I hear you, Daff.  I paid a lot for my TV (I remember when that was all you ever paid.)  I then also pay a large monthly bill  for cable and internet.  I feel like that's enough and that my cable company should give money to PBS out of what they earn from subscribers like me who want that station included in their package.  I did donate $60 to PBS a few times and was extremely disappointed when I saw which shows "Passport," had.

Oh, yes, your cable provider does have a contractual, monetary agreement with PBS, as they do with all the providers. My cable provider was in a contract dispute with Fox during the final season of a popular series. They took months to settle, during which time, of course, the local channel (guaranteed in my contract) was unavailable. The printed message on screen suggested we complain to the local affiliate. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Sympathies, Daff.  I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there are three PBS affiliates available on my basic cable.  Looking forward to Magpie Murders in October.

Thanks. I did go searching for news on this, as I enjoy Leslie M. Apparently, they will be airing it here. I also discovered they will begin airing season 1 of Annika in October as well. I saw episode 1 on Prime, but the rest of the season needed extra money. I figured eventually it would show up somewhere, as NW is so popular!  There’s hope yet. 

Link to comment
On 8/18/2022 at 10:16 AM, 12catcrazy said:

As far as what PBS buys, they are looking for what they feel will attract the viewers who will make donations.  Program a lot of really high brow fare and the viewership will drop.   People have so much stress in their lives and they want escapism and something "pretty" to watch on the tube.   PBS viewers might not want to watch "Love Island" (too trashy), but "Hotel Portofino" can give them the pretty and yet not be too sordid. 

If the ratings (and pledge donations) weren't there, the shows wouldn't be bought or dropped after one season.    

Agree with all this. Also, need to keep in mind that PBS is not the only outlet for British drama these days with all the streaming options out there, as it used to be for decades. They have to vie with some deep pocketed competitors for programming. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 8/23/2022 at 2:12 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Sympathies, Daff.  I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there are three PBS affiliates available on my basic cable.  Looking forward to Magpie Murders in October.

Hey, Sugarbaker! I think we might be in the same area! I also have the "embarrassment of riches" of having 3 PBS stations, plus a 4th station that's an offshoot of one of the 3 that plays all UK programming (they've started to add some non-UK/ European shows, which I'm also loving).

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, TVForever said:

Hey, Sugarbaker! I think we might be in the same area! I also have the "embarrassment of riches" of having 3 PBS stations, plus a 4th station that's an offshoot of one of the 3 that plays all UK programming (they've started to add some non-UK/ European shows, which I'm also loving).

Northern NJ, with access to PBS affiliates from NJ, NYC and Long Island.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, sugarbaker design said:

 Hopefully Will won't put on his black polo shirt and bike into the jazz clubs next season.

I do want to see Will trying to figure out how to have a grown-up, mature, adult relationship and not ruin his new marriage by having affairs with women he meets at the jazz clubs. That being said, Will looks really good in the black polo shirt and for purely shallow reasons I hope he still wears it next season.

I expected Leonard to hire the homeless girl or to give some of the others jobs in the cafe. It seems like they need more staff in every part of the cafe.

I thought Eseme was going to catch the bouquet and Geordie to say something about it.

Overall, I thought the episode and the season were okay.

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

We did go very quickly from I love you to the wedding itself, and I would’ve been happy to end with an engagement, but on reflection I suppose there’s only one place to go from I love you.

Unpopular opinion I suppose: I am actually fine with Bonnie doing things that if the genders were reversed we would be a palled at. Because the genders aren’t reversed. Isn’t that what Kathy was arguing for? Let’s not pretend that things are all equal in the 1950s or now. Yes, it would be terrible if a man demanded sex on the first date, but men have so much more power in that situation anyway at least certainly back then, at least the way it’s portrayed. So it isn’t as threatening for Bonnie to do what she did and it isn’t as stalkerish. I see it as more assertive and her speaking up for what she really feels, in contrast to Will who is bottling it all up.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

We did go very quickly from I love you to the wedding itself, and I would’ve been happy to end with an engagement, but on reflection I suppose there’s only one place to go from I love you.

Unpopular opinion I suppose: I am actually fine with Bonnie doing things that if the genders were reversed we would be a palled at. Because the genders aren’t reversed. Isn’t that what Kathy was arguing for? Let’s not pretend that things are all equal in the 1950s or now. Yes, it would be terrible if a man demanded sex on the first date, but men have so much more power in that situation anyway at least certainly back then, at least the way it’s portrayed. So it isn’t as threatening for Bonnie to do what she did and it isn’t as stalkerish. I see it as more assertive and her speaking up for what she really feels, in contrast to Will who is bottling it all up.

For me, when I think back, the problem isn't that she was demanding sex (since there was no threat to Will) it was that the writers constantly had her express her feelings as things that were wrong with Will, so she wound up seeming full of red flags.

Like it's appropriate for her to respond to Will telling her (as he did) that it wasn't a good idea for them to sleep together because *she* wasn't thinking clearly or thinking it through--it's totally correct for her to respond with excuse me, I'm not any more screwed up than you are and stop condescending and vicaring me. But they kept having her turn around and do the same thing to Will, criticizing him for not being up for whatever thing she'd decided it was time for. So what should have been satisfying was just irritating--and something she ought to stop before it seems good that they're getting married. Like if you don't want a guy who's a mess, don't choose a guy who's a mess and assume you'll be straightening him up.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

But they kept having her turn around and do the same thing to Will, criticizing him for not being up for whatever thing she'd decided it was time for.

Exactly.  I don't think women (or small men) can never be wrong, just because they're physically weaker than someone else.  Not taking no for an answer, and becoming angry when you don't get your way, whether it's about sex or going to the movies  are traits of a  pushy and entitled person and I would pity anyone who had to live with someone like that.

  • Applause 1
Link to comment
On 8/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, magdalene said:

I like Will.  His character has become quite well defined in a short period of time. He is different enough from Sidney that I hope he will not make my teeth grind the way Sidney did with his endless women drama and general malaise.

Pulling this over here from the S04 finale episode...oh how wrong you were...🤣

  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, gingerella said:

Pulling this over here from the S04 finale episode...oh how wrong you were...🤣

Indeed I was, and I had such hopes...

This show is a one trick pony - endless angst on repeat.

  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/14/2022 at 9:59 PM, sistermagpie said:

The marriage was so weird and rushed that it seemed like he was dead after all and this was a death hallucination.

Or in a coma. I watched the ending wondering wtf was going on and honestly still thought they might be pulling some "it was all a dream" crap up until the credits rolled.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Before I finished watching this season, my Dad spoiled me that Will get's married. As I was watching the episodes leading up to the finale, I thought he'd been mistaken. There couldn't possibly be a wedding in the finale, I thought, because there's basically zero set-up happening. And yet, that's exactly what they did-lol Ok, show. 

Glad Mrs. C seems to be ok. 

  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...