Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

This. All it took was one talk and boom! Everything's okay again. All I want is to see them have one nice, big open discussion about everything that's gone down the past 2ish seasons *at least*. Instead we get this vague, brushing over of details.

I can see how some viewers are feeling this way, but I think that what did it for Cath was Geordie essentially tearing up and admitting how scared he was of losing his anchor in life - Cath and the kids. She needed to see something meaningful, to her, and to her him tearing up and opening up like that was what she needed, not a necklace, which says nothing meaningful really. That's what I got from that scene and that's why I'm okay with it, though I think Cath ought to have made him slowly reintegrate himself back into the family home by taking specific actions to back up his feelings - that would have been more satisfying, but then again, there's only one epi left this season right? So not much time to see him fulfilling whatever she might have asked of him. This should have come in the last episode IMO, then they could pick up with him already having showed change during the interim as we don't need to actually see it in an episode, it could have been alluded to in the first epi of next season.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I can see how some viewers are feeling this way, but I think that what did it for Cath was Geordie essentially tearing up and admitting how scared he was of losing his anchor in life - Cath and the kids. She needed to see something meaningful, to her, and to her him tearing up and opening up like that was what she needed, not a necklace, which says nothing meaningful really.

I agree. Prior to this, Geordie wanted Cathy to tell him what to do to repair the marriage. In the interrogation room he finally let her know what she and their family meant to him and how important they were to his well-being and happiness. He showed some vulnerability at last.

It was still a bit too convenient, but I'm glad the marriage seems to be back on track, because something needed to happen. I didn't want them to split up.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Wasn't cancer essentially a death sentence in 1959?

According to this research article, the five  year survival rate for cervix uteri cancer was 59% in 1959, for corpus uteri cancer it was 71% (we don't know which she has).

I understand that she's overwhelmed but saying that she doesn't want any treatment at all makes as little sense as blaming God for reneging on their deal.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

According to this research article, the five  year survival rate for cervix uteri cancer was 59% in 1959, for corpus uteri cancer it was 71% (we don't know which she has).

I understand that she's overwhelmed but saying that she doesn't want any treatment at all makes as little sense as blaming God for reneging on their deal.

Think about how rough cancer treatment is in 2022 and think about what it must have been like in 1959.   You go through hell, lose your hair, throw up constantly, and back then, your survival chances could be dicey.   Mrs. C is not a young woman and she has lost her faith.  I can easily see how she could decide to just throw in the towel rather than fight.   

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
On 8/3/2022 at 10:46 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

A bit late to the party (family stayed for a visit this weekend), but episode thoughts:

A wild Daniel appears! Tbh I haven't really missed him? I've always been rather neutral towards him, so idk. I'm fine if from here on out he only pops up once in a while. Surprised to see him part of a church group though, but at least they addressed that.

Will and Bonnie...Will made the right choice, but he could have probably handled it better?

Cathy and Geordie...I hate to say it but at this point they need to divorce. Everyone's already made good points about them so I probably don't need to expand upon it. It's just too much. Time to cut the chord.

Y'all it's too obvious about that student guy they've been keeping around. This episode all but confirmed he's the real homeless killer. Go back and listen to how they profile the killer in that episode. The religious discussions with Leonard this episode???? Hellooooooo. If not I'll eat my hat.

I sooo hope you’re wrong. Because I had the same thought and it would be refreshing if it were just what it seemed: Robin was the killer.

agree with all who said Kathy’s being a right bitch. She couldn’t even think of anything nice about their wedding day. Eye roll. I do want them to reconcile because I loved heir marriage in other episodes, because it’s his PTSD that caused his violence, because they’re clearly miserable apart. I hope we get there. Loved miss Scott’s “not on my watch,” but hope she sees him as a father figure and finds another cutie pie in a uniform. (Her thing for the Americans in uniform was adorable).

there’s been a lot of sisterhood this season from the brothel ladies looking out for one another to kathy and Miss scott to this week and the gossips. Here for it.

wveryone Cambridge-spraining to Geordie was hilarious.

only thing unrealistic about Mrs C’s poetry mockery was that nobody laughed. When you KNOW other poets in the room we’re having the same thought. I was just surprised Mrs C didn’t try something herself, a la Mrs Maisel. 

as a woman if I knew a guy was promiscuous but just didn’t want to do it with ME I’d so get my feelings hurt. That said they have the possibility of a real relationship and he should just say so, that he wants to take it slow. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

only thing unrealistic about Mrs C’s poetry mockery was that nobody laughed. When you KNOW other poets in the room we’re having the same thought.

I got the impression that all the people in the café, except for Mrs. C, were fans of beat poetry.  Of course they wouldn't laugh, they love it.  They probably loved Mrs. C's 'crusty...white...loaf'.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I haven't seen the last episode of this season but I can imagine Mrs C having the surgery but refusing radiation or chemo if it was even offered to her in the 50s and at her age. 1950s radiation and chemo must have been horrendous by our standards. Did they have the NHS at that time? Older women were not high on the priority schedule.  Actually we still aren't. I had a lumpectomy and some radiation but was told chemo was not part of the protocol at my age.  This was 2020 and just what I would have said myself.

• Sad 1

Very rushed Will/Bonnie romance in the final episode. It didn’t have to go that far in my opinion.

And why couldn’t Leonard operate a successful business with profits doing to help the poor? Seems like a good business model to me.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

Has there been official word that the series is over or were they wrapping things up just in case? 

it has been renewed. but yes, it did feel rushed, as though they were wrapping things up just in case — although things probably didn’t need to be wrapped up quite this tight.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Nice that Bonnie's weird entitlement about Will wound up...well, I guess it didn't actually help, but still. I love that she's scolding him for not being with her all season and then the minute he's in the hospital injured and can't get up she decides that's when she's going to leave.

The marriage was so weird and rushed that it seemed like he was dead after all and this was a death hallucination. Mrs. C sure looked great for somebody who'd just had whatever treatment she'd had. Turns out cancer's not actually that bad in the 50s? Her giving the bouquet to the boys was pretty great, though.

29 minutes ago, HelloooKitty said:

Has there been official word that the series is over or were they wrapping things up just in case? 

It's been renewed.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don't know about you but when I see someone hanging from the ceiling, I just stand outside the door and watch instead of running in and cutting him down in case he's still alive. And when I see someone stabbed, I just tell him "I'm here" instead of trying to stop the bleeding. Not.

Bonnie seems to be perfect for Will. She dumping her emotional stuff on to her kid. Will is dumping his on Jim. Bonnie saying "it's just sex, everyone does it."  (Not in 1959)..   Bonnie leaving without saying goodbye to Will and forcing him to get out of his hospital bed to go to her. Perfect for him. Grow up you two.

They spent more time on the wedding itself than on getting us to it.

Mrs. C. was complaining that she had 2 rounds of radiation. (Was it worse in the 50s? I had daily rounds for 6 weeks. (I think). And I was glad to be lucky enough to have it.)

I liked Leonard and Daniel. Mrs and Mrs. C. Geordie and Cathy. And Dickens.

They were teasing us that Will had died. And then they disappointed me. After all the emo this season, my enthusiasm for the next is severely curtailed.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Called it with the college fella!

Will's fam! Squeaked in an appearance at the very end.

The biggest issue I have with Will and Bonnie is that they scrunched in their pre-marriage love story into one season. Also he was flip flopping between her and Maya up til literally the penultimate episode where he had "chosen" Maya. I do like Bonnie and I do like them together, however. I just wish we could have had better build up.

Also I would like to know how much time had passed between the train station and their marriage.

I wonder if his love confession at the train station was a sort of parallel or ode to how Geordie and Cathy met.

Will and Geordie :') the "I love you u" scene was super sweet.

Glad to see Mrs. C doing well. 

Another Sidney shout-out.

Season 7 thoughts overall:

Definitely a weak season. Main issues stemmed around Will and how they wrote him. Who's lame brain idea was it to turn him into a Sidney-lite??? Bring back season 5 quality Will. 

Leonard was the MVP of this season for sure. He saved it tbh. Miss Scott was runner up.

Best episode by far was the one where Will was least involved.

The big mystery of the season was satisfying enough.

Rolled my eyes when the pbs fundraiser lady came on immediately after and called it "the best season yet." No. No it was not.

Definitely felt like it could work as a wrap up season. I've heard season 8 is a go, but I'm thinking they might not have known if renewal was guaranteed at the point when they filmed this season. Paired with the later than usual renewal announcement...I'm guessing they're thinking of ending this sometime soon.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

This episode had the feel of one of my late cousin’s perfect Christmas wrapping bows. Did they think Tom would pull a James and bolt? Robson’s interview made me wonder. The older you get in show business the more you appreciate steady gigs. 

Tom and Charlotte did sell it to me, even if I found it sloppily executed, just like the Geordie and Cathy marital discord and reunion. Will is essentially in his first adult love relationship and Bonnie was, her words, young and rushed it with husband #1… It’s TV and 1959, but still not feeling it. 

It was nice to hear Mrs. C. mention Sidney. He’s long gone, but she would not forget him. Will and Leonard, blood brothers. And father and son Geordie and Will at the end was touching. 

They were nice flowers. I loved Will’s mother’s genuine happiness for her son (it was not the country house bonanza with a blue blood she surely planned on once), admonition of her husband’s snobbery, and Bonnie’s deft handling of it. The wedding was lovely, aged stick up your ass St. John. 

Spoiler

The press release for renewal does not bode well for Will’s happily ever after. We shall see. Poor little Ernie if Charlotte plays her second dead vicar’s wife. 

• Love 2

Ugh!

Even if they did think this was the last season, there was no need to rush it like that. Either actually have Bonnie and Will have some kind of relationship over the course of the whole season, rather than a few random conversations and UST, so the wedding feels earned, or end this with the promise of a relationship. If this had been the series finale, I really don't think anyone would have been disappointed that the happily-ever-after ending didn't include a wedding. And since (surprise, surprise) it's not the end, they could have spent next season showing how Will adjusts to having a healthy relationship (I'm sure there could be a few bumps along the way, but nothing terrible), and end that season with the wedding.

But no one asked me, of course...

I do think Bonnie adjusting to being a vicar's wife could make for an interesting story next year, but I doubt that's what they'll do... Didn't she not even attend church this season? And now she'll be expected to be a regular, and probably chair a bunch of committees (similar to the one Daniel is on) and generally be good at smoothing the congregations' collective feathers, which does not sound like Bonnie at all...

Meanwhile, I would assume the church pays for Mrs. C's salary, no? And now that Will has a wife, she'd be made redundant? I guess she can go work with Leonard and whatever he's going to do with the café. Make it easier to do a spin-off...

Re @ComeWhatMay's spoiler/ speculation:

Spoiler

I am of two minds, too. Killing her off so quickly would be just... WHY? I mean, surely they knew there would be a chance this was not the final season. But Charlotte Ritchie seems to be in fairly high demand, and I don't know why she'd want to commit to a not-exactly-lead role on a fairly mundane show that could potentially go on indefinitely. And I'm sure TPTB could have gotten any number of lesser-known-but-talented actresses who would have been happy for the big break and more likely to see it through...

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Well, that certainly had all the makings of a series finale.  Everything neatly tied up in the last ten minutes of the show and happily ever after for everyone.  Seeing the announcement of a renewal really had me gobsmacked!

• Love 3

Another “not in 1959”- denim trousers may be becoming popular with women, but only around the house (painting, gardening, doing laundry, cleaning). No woman would ever dare go shopping in them, let alone travel. For those activities, only near to Sunday Best would do. Compare Bonnie’s attire to how she dressed her son for travel. 
The entire episode seemed like someone’s romantic fantasy, presented at the speed of light. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

This season of Grantchester following after Hotel Portofino makes me wonder if PBS cares about writing quality at all.  What happened to the Masterpiece part?  

The Bonnie story seemed like a fantasy based on typical school girl day dreams: 

" He's so handsome!  He seems to like the sexy cheerleader, but what if he met me?"

"Well he met me but I saw him with the cheerleader again."

"I know! I'll ask him to scheme with me to get our mutual friends back  together!"

"Well we did that but he was going to take me straight home after, so I offered sex and he said 'no' so I got mad and screamed at him."

" I ran into him and he apologized and said we should be friends.  so I went to his house and said I want to be more than friends and deep down I know you want that, too."

"Then I saw the cheerleader was there,  so I got mad and shouted at him for leading me on."

"Then he came to my house to apologize again and I told him straight out that I was going to move unless he had some reason why I should stay!"

" He said, 'no'"

"Then he got stabbed and I was ready to leave town and he left the hospital to come and meet me at the train and tell me he loved me and wanted to marry me!  I always knew that was how he secretly felt about me!"

Poor script writers will often throw out weddings, thinking we all love weddings.  Only if we've grown to love the characters and want them to be together.

I don't think I'll watch next season. I'm not eager to see any predictable problems where Will expects Bonnie to do things like go to church, and she gets mad and lectures him about how she's her own person and she and her Aunt Kathy form a consciousness raising group.   

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Me too. I imagine a near death experience like Will had would motivate him to make some important life changes, but an “I love you” at the train station and then a marriage so quickly after left me shaking my head. If the series had ended—well, then all things Grantchester were tied up in a nice, neat bow. But now the series has been renewed and they have to work with this new family dynamic. I just don’t feel any chemistry between Will and Bonnie. Their relationship feels forced and lacking that essential spark that makes you believe it can work. The spark is really between Geordie and Will. I love that they were able to vocalize it at the end. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

The marriage was so weird and rushed

I wish we'd gotten a notice of "6 months later" or something indicating a time jump, because the wedding was telegraphed but also came out of nowhere.

The show does seem to make its season finales, er, final. I kind of appreciate that, but on the other hand, we get stuff like this.

10 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Another Sidney shout-out.

"I saw all my boys." That was so sweet. It's a bit convenient that Mrs. C suddenly got her faith back, but seeing Will near death might have snapped her out of her own misery for a bit and given her some perspective. I never thought she'd stay away from the church forever anyway.

I loved how the bishop deftly handled Will's stepsister at the wedding reception. He didn't need any help from Will, heh.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

And what was with you did this and heard this before, re: vows? You should still theoretically want to say them to each other? Right? The actors are good and did their jobs and there are happy people on Facebook, but still WTF? 🤣

• Love 4
10 hours ago, magdalene said:
  Hide contents

So who gets killed off - Bonnie or her son? Maybe both?  Le sigh.

Spoiler

Could also potentially be a miscarriage or stillbirth? That would fit with the Grantchester theme in the last few seasons of depressing storylines that can be wrapped up neatly by the end of the season; Bonnie could be pregnant again. (Which I know does not make up for an infant loss, but I could see the Grantchester writers thinking that sets everything right.)

If they kill off Bonnie, that's just lazy writing/ planning on the show's part, though I wouldn't put it past them. I do think killing Ernie would be beyond the pale...

Should we start a spoiler/ speculation thread?

1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:
  Reveal spoiler

Could also potentially be a miscarriage or stillbirth? That would fit with the Grantchester theme in the last few seasons of depressing storylines that can be wrapped up neatly by the end of the season; Bonnie could be pregnant again. (Which I know does not make up for an infant loss, but I could see the Grantchester writers thinking that sets everything right.)

If they kill off Bonnie, that's just lazy writing/ planning on the show's part, though I wouldn't put it past them. I do think killing Ernie would be beyond the pale...

Should we start a spoiler/ speculation thread?

Good idea.

5 hours ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

Me too. I imagine a near death experience like Will had would motivate him to make some important life changes, but an “I love you” at the train station and then a marriage so quickly after left me shaking my head. If the series had ended—well, then all things Grantchester were tied up in a nice, neat bow. But now the series has been renewed and they have to work with this new family dynamic. I just don’t feel any chemistry between Will and Bonnie. Their relationship feels forced and lacking that essential spark that makes you believe it can work. The spark is really between Geordie and Will. I love that they were able to vocalize it at the end. 

It's like they teased that Will was going to start making decisions less rashly, then he was like - psych! I'm going to get married right away so I'll have to deal with the drama of that rash decision.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Even if they did think this was the last season, there was no need to rush it like that. Either actually have Bonnie and Will have some kind of relationship over the course of the whole season, rather than a few random conversations and UST, so the wedding feels earned, or end this with the promise of a relationship. If this had been the series finale, I really don't think anyone would have been disappointed that the happily-ever-after ending didn't include a wedding. And since (surprise, surprise) it's not the end, they could have spent next season showing how Will adjusts to having a healthy relationship (I'm sure there could be a few bumps along the way, but nothing terrible), and end that season with the wedding,

This is the big problem with the rushed wedding. Will has been far too immature all season, even in this episode he was over-sharing with Jim. He is like Romeo, in love with Maya/Rosalind one minute and then Juliet/Bonnie the next.

Bonnie "I don't need to respect anyone else's norms or even say goodbye in person" is just as bad.  When the show married off Sidney, at least it was to an adult woman. Will and Bonnie are a couple of kids playing house.

7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't think I'll watch next season. I'm not eager to see any predictable problems where Will expects Bonnie to do things like go to church, and she gets mad and lectures him about how she's her own person and she and her Aunt Kathy form a consciousness raising group.   

Bonnie's Teenage Diary was really funny @JudyObscure. Unfortunately I can see the writers doing the above scenario, and thinking that the audience are going to be cheering her on.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Will and Bonnie are a couple of kids playing house.

Exactly. The characters are early 30s (?) in the late ‘50s. Will is many times around the block, but this is his first real relationship so Bonnie’s teenage dream behavior toward him would not put him off, I guess. Bonnie was married before and has a kid grieving his dad watching it all go down so it makes the flippancy around this from her side especially jarring, and a bit icky if I am honest. 

Edited by ComeWhatMay
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

This season of Grantchester following after Hotel Portofino makes me wonder if PBS cares about writing quality at all.  What happened to the Masterpiece part?  

I so agree with this. I’m looking toward the upcoming offerings (as advertised), and it truly seems as though the well written, well produced series are relegated to the Passport streaming service-they’re really pushing it hard! Again, they seem to take all those tax dollars for granted. So disgusting. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lake Erie Lass said:

The writers  are completely ignoring the “tightly knit community expectations” that come along with being the vicar’s spouse. I’ll check in next season, just to find out how long it takes the congregation to (metaphorically) tar and feather the independent Bonnie!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

This has been a clunker of a season, but Will's speech at the wedding did move me.  Hopefully Will won't put on his black polo shirt and bike into the jazz clubs next season.  Now that all the citizens of Grantchester are in a good place, I hope Geordie and Will can focus on some decent murder mysteries.  Less soap, more mystery please.

7 hours ago, Daff said:

Again, they seem to take all those tax dollars for granted.

They surely don't.  They're just trying to appeal to all their viewers.  I enjoy a well-written, well-acted and well-produced show as much as the next viewer, but I also enjoy much more low brow fare such as Shakespeare & Hathaway, Death In Paradise and Father Brown.  I love PBS and I always make donations on my birthday (May) and the winter holiday season.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

They surely don't. 

They really don't.

When I worked at the CBC (Canadian public broadcaster) in the 70s, we really envied all the money PBS had to do good quality shows. But cutbacks and cutbacks, and now they are just trying to keep putting on good programming. Downton Abby saved them a few years ago but now it's plug the holes where they can.

Grantchester is an ITV production. I don't know how much input PBS  has into its content but I doubt that it's much. Mostly Masterpiece just buys existing programs and if high enough quality are not there, I don't know what they can do. They don't have the money to make their own programming.

They could put on the 1980 Pride and Prejudice where Tessa Peake Jones played Mary Bennett but I think that I'd rather have Grantchester, as flawed as it is.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

The entire episode seemed like someone’s romantic fantasy, presented at the speed of light.

No joke. I'm on the fence about season 8, for the reasons already stated, and it clearly wasn't expected by the writers/showrunners. The spoilers do nothing to assuage my concern that the bs roller coaster is being greased up to go. 

Meanwhile, hard as they tried, that last bit felt forced to me (between Geordie and Will). The long shot from behind looked like they were just waiting for the director to shout, cut. And all Cathy needed was to see Geordie emotional? Really? Cause living together again is going to take more than that. I don't see Geordie changing all that much on the daily. And I came for Robson Green.

The writing in this episode was not impressive.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

For whatever reason, my dvr did not record this episode.  However, reading everybody's insightful commentary gives me a complete understanding of the episode.  It's probably best I did not see it as I would most likely have been frustrated by some of the plotting.  Anyway, thank you everyone for your comments (which I always enjoy but really needed this week in order to understand how they wrapped up the season).

• Love 1
On 8/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I got the impression that all the people in the café, except for Mrs. C, were fans of beat poetry.  Of course they wouldn't laugh, they love it.  They probably loved Mrs. C's 'crusty...white...loaf'.

Maybe but poets are notoriously competitive. I’m sure at least a few would have enjoyed the smack down of housefly guy. Plus, she was funny.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

So many people commenting on how rushed Will and Bonnie's marriage was and, though it was, she's Georidie's niece, there's no other way that this would have ended. Meanwhile, I know I'm supposed to like Bonnie but I just don't (I don't know why). The real came out of left field moment that I really wasn't expecting and was rushed for me was Geordie and Cathy getting back together again. After a whole season of Cathy acting like Geordie can't do anything right, one tearful confession from Geordie and everything's ok? I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, christie said:

Meanwhile, I know I'm supposed to like Bonnie but I just don't (I don't know why).

She's too much of a Mary Sue for me, I'm supposed to admire her spunk and her originality (openly asking Will for sex, walking into Will's kitchen to tell him how she feels) but it just comes off as rude and entitled to me. She's also too anachronistic, with cartwheels in public, no slip and jeans for travelling, which I think I am also supposed to be impressed by but I'm not.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

If Bonnie was a man wanting sex on the first date and then shouting at the women when he was turned down telling her how good in bed he was -- followed by staking behavior.  We'd be outraged.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, sugarbaker design said:

They're just trying to appeal to all their viewers.  I enjoy a well-written, well-acted and well-produced show as much as the next viewer, but I also enjoy much more low brow fare such as Shakespeare & Hathaway, Death In Paradise and Father Brown. 

I enjoy those, too, but some are much better than others and while PBS can't control the content in a series they do  have control over which shows to buy in the first place.

I think they're too influenced by things like pretty locales (Hotel Portofino) and anything where the cast wears vintage costumes.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

If Bonnie was a man wanting sex on the first date and then shouting at the women when he was turned down telling her how good in bed he was -- followed by staking behavior.  We'd be outraged.

I think they're too influenced by things like pretty locales (Hotel Portofino) and anything where the cast wears vintage costumes.

Jumping up and yelling YES!!! to the first paragraph.    And I totally hate how they have women from 1950s England and make them have attitudes and behavior of today.  They've also written Bonnie as immature and also (if you are going back to "past times") as a woman who illustrates why there was an "ooh-la-la" factor attached to divorcees and widowers - they were no longer virgins so they would be "easy".  

As far as what PBS buys, they are looking for what they feel will attract the viewers who will make donations.  Program a lot of really high brow fare and the viewership will drop.   People have so much stress in their lives and they want escapism and something "pretty" to watch on the tube.   PBS viewers might not want to watch "Love Island" (too trashy), but "Hotel Portofino" can give them the pretty and yet not be too sordid. 

If the ratings (and pledge donations) weren't there, the shows wouldn't be bought or dropped after one season.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes and it's sad when the original idea of public broadcasting was that they didn't have to pander to sponsors and could show quality TV that didn't have to sell cars.  So now they're pandering to people who want,"Sex and the City," in Regency dresses (Sanditon.) 

I don't want to work hard anymore than anyone else.  I'm not asking for Shakespeare.  I loved "Last Tango In Halifax."  I loved watching You-tube's copy of Brit TV's "The Detectorists."  I would be happy to see reruns of the original Upstairs/Downstairs.  Just don't give me bad writing and expect me to be pleased with anachronisms like Bonnie.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

Jumping up and yelling YES!!! to the first paragraph.    And I totally hate how they have women from 1950s England and make them have attitudes and behavior of today.  They've also written Bonnie as immature and also (if you are going back to "past times") as a woman who illustrates why there was an "ooh-la-la" factor attached to divorcees and widowers - they were no longer virgins so they would be "easy".  

As far as what PBS buys, they are looking for what they feel will attract the viewers who will make donations.  Program a lot of really high brow fare and the viewership will drop.   People have so much stress in their lives and they want escapism and something "pretty" to watch on the tube.   PBS viewers might not want to watch "Love Island" (too trashy), but "Hotel Portofino" can give them the pretty and yet not be too sordid. 

If the ratings (and pledge donations) weren't there, the shows wouldn't be bought or dropped after one season.    

and then there's As Time Goes By that must be on its 10th rerun of the series

enough already!

18 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

On 8/16/2022 at 11:49 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Yes, she's supposed to be spunky and she's just a bit nuts. If we weren't supposed to believe that yes, Will really ought to be with her, we'd assume she was going to be a future murderer. But it's okay that she's so pushy because he ought to like her or something.

• Love 4
On 8/17/2022 at 6:47 PM, JudyObscure said:

I enjoy those, too, but some are much better than others and while PBS can't control the content in a series they do  have control over which shows to buy in the first place.

To your and @SUGARBAKERDESIGN’s point, it’s not what PBS acquires I heartily find fault with. In your locale, you may be getting great on-air/cable  programming on a regular basis. I already pay for this.  However, population density plays a role in what each local chooses to air, and how frequently they air the more popular series that they buy. Again, I have never seen an episode of Vera, Shetland, Place to Call Home, Dr. Blake, Father Brown, Annika, and at least a dozen others on my local PBS, not even during pledges. Doc Martin dropped out two seasons ago. They are just not shown! My local would like me to believe they’re piss-poor and can’t possibly survive without my donation/subscription to their streaming service. After all, if you’re that rural, you must really rely on streaming! Once you adopt that attitude, you’re at risk to being nickeled and dimed ($, not cents) to the poorhouse! I would (and actually have in the past) be more inclined to donate if more on a daily/weekly basis was offered. We go about a month and a half between new Masterpiece offerings, and often they are repeats of last season!  

• Sad 2

I hear you, Daff.  I paid a lot for my TV (I remember when that was all you ever paid.)  I then also pay a large monthly bill  for cable and internet.  I feel like that's enough and that my cable company should give money to PBS out of what they earn from subscribers like me who want that station included in their package.  I did donate $60 to PBS a few times and was extremely disappointed when I saw which shows "Passport," had.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Daff said:

Again, I have never seen an episode of Vera, Shetland, Place to Call Home, Dr. Blake, Father Brown, Annika, and at least a dozen others on my local PBS, not even during pledges.

Sympathies, Daff.  I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where there are three PBS affiliates available on my basic cable.  Looking forward to Magpie Murders in October.

• Love 1