Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: Ghostwriter

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

When Sasappis offers to help Sam complete the B&B website so they can start taking reservations, they butt heads over the creative direction. Also, Pete bonds with Jay over basketball until Jay makes a new living friend, and Flower attempts to be Pete’s new basketball buddy.

Original airdate 2/24/22

• Love 7

I think that is my favorite part of this show- that the ghosts love Jay and are including him, and he’s embracing all of them despite never seeing them. I wonder if he will have some head injury after the finale and be able to see them next season, but that won’t nearly be as much fun. 
I’ve missed this show and so glad that it’s back.

• Love 24

After the crap that was the Law and Order premiere tonight, this was a sweet refreshing of what GOOD television can be. It had humor and heart. I am so glad this show is back and I love that Jay just rolls with things.

I'm hoping the network will put the whole story Sass told on their website as a bonus.

• Love 15

I loved this episode. The scenes with Sass and Samantha and the ending with the ghosts enjoying his story were so sweet. The basketball players that Flower mentioned really played during the 60's the writers did their homework.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21

I am surprised they didn't switch this episode for the one airing next week. This one talks about watching college basketball and after next week the show will be off for a while because of the NCAA men's basketball tournaments. It would have been a nice tie-in/cross promotion.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

I would’ve thought that considering how many decades these ghosts have been together in the house that they all would’ve known each other’s back stories by now 

The back story I'm most curious about concerns the character the show has apparently dropped.  How does a biker get decapitated inside a mansion?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

Awww that ending was so sweet, I am so happy that this show is back and that Sasappis finally got to tell his story. Everyone was so into the story and while he tried to play it off at first, you could tell how much this meant to him. Its really sad that he died before he got to have his big moment when he was alive, but now he gets to share them with people centuries later, which is really cool. Him passing his feather along to Sam to help give her confidence was really nice, even if its a ghost feather so its more of a symbolic gesture. I am really happy that Sam and Jay went with his tree idea, with how much they know about the properties history through the ghosts, it really is a cool idea. I just love this show so much. 

I really liked the B plot as well, I admit I would not have called peace loving stoner hippie Flower as a huge basketball fan, but I love how the characters have so much depth and I am glad she finally got Pete to be her basketball buddy. Hetty even gave her a pep talk and might be becoming a feminist! As long as that doesn't mean she supports woman handling money or riding bicycles. 

Sam really should start taking down all of the ghosts life stories, I want to know more about Alberta and Al Capone! I wonder if Sam and Jay will play into the haunted house thing? I bet they could get tons of people who are interested in ghosts, or at least they could use the houses rich history to sell it as a historical location. They could create theme rooms and museums, if they want to play up the ghost angle they could even have the ghosts do their tricks to add some drama. 

• Love 23
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Sam really should start taking down all of the ghosts life stories, I want to know more about Alberta and Al Capone! I wonder if Sam and Jay will play into the haunted house thing? I bet they could get tons of people who are interested in ghosts, or at least they could use the houses rich history to sell it as a historical location. They could create theme rooms and museums, if they want to play up the ghost angle they could even have the ghosts do their tricks to add some drama. 

IRL (if there were ghosts like these In Real Life) this would be the way to make both their BNB and Sam's creative career successes.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, cdnalor said:

The back story I'm most curious about concerns the character the show has apparently dropped.  How does a biker get decapitated inside a mansion?

Between him, Alberta, and Trevor, it appears that the mansion had some pretty wild parties back in the day!

36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Hetty even gave her a pep talk and might be becoming a feminist! As long as that doesn't mean she supports woman handling money or riding bicycles.

That first is weird, since Hetty had the line in the last episode about Elias embezzling her riches.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I didn't think it was the strongest episode to return to but I'm still happy to have the show back. I loved Trevor referring to himself as "T-Money." Blooper alert: Jay looked at Flower when she sat down next to him. It may be that he was going for "looking around, knowing the ghosts are there" but I think it looked too much like he knew she was sitting down next to him and could see her.

Strange the episode centered around Sass without explaining his death. Also, we can now set aside the notion that the character speaks in a modern dialect because he has evolved to do so over the years. He spoke the same way in the flashbacks to 1500. And even spoke in his native tongue until the dialogue switched to English. They are really just trying to avoid any type of stereotypical "Indian" accent. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm so glad this show is back. It's like comfort food that we all need right now.

I love that Jay is part of the gang even though he can't see or hear the ghosts. I love how the ghosts try to involve him, like Pete being his basketball buddy.

I really need Jay to be able to at least hear them (if not see them).

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Blooper alert: Jay looked at Flower when she sat down next to him. It may be that he was going for "looking around, knowing the ghosts are there" but I think it looked too much like he knew she was sitting down next to him and could see her.

I saw that too. But let's just assume he felt her "gift" and felt the high for a second or two. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Also, we can now set aside the notion that the character speaks in a modern dialect because he has evolved to do so over the years. He spoke the same way in the flashbacks to 1500. And even spoke in his native tongue until the dialogue switched to English. They are really just trying to avoid any type of stereotypical "Indian" accent.

I totally believe Sass has evolved his accent and language over the years as he was exposed to different people at the mansion. He seems like the kind of person who holds onto tradition in his storytelling but adapts his accent, language, words, and attitude to fit whatever is current. He tends to use the most slang out of all of the ghosts. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, cdnalor said:

How does a biker get decapitated inside a mansion?

Wouldn’t necessarily have been in the house. Pete, Thor, and Sass died on the grounds of the property (the last two, before the mansion existed). I like to think the headless character has taken up residence with the British soldiers, just to gross them out. 

I think the best line was when Thor immediately followed up his “Maybe” with “That mean no”. He does that frequently-shares newly discovered information with the others (who were right there, as well). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 20
57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

like Thor's line at the end about this being his favorite story that didn't involve killing anyone.

This, too, and the Viking version of basketball!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

I would like him to get hit on the head.  Get a concussion, sees/hears the ghost but as the concussion heals they slowly fade but now he has a frame of reference. 

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
25 minutes ago, Daff said:

Wouldn’t necessarily have been in the house. Pete, Thor, and Sass died on the grounds of the property (the last two, before the mansion existed). I like to think the headless character has taken up residence with the British soldiers, just to gross them out. 

I think the best line was when Thor immediately followed up his “Maybe” with “That mean no”. He does that frequently-shares newly discovered information with the others (who were right there, as well). 

Ah, right.  Forgot about that "dying on the grounds" bit.  Thanks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I want to see the website!  I want to know about the tree!

I gotta say, if I were looking for a BnB and came across a website trying to convince me to pick them by talking to me from a tree’s perspective? I would scroll right on, more likely than not. It would probably just weird me out, not my cup of tea at all. And calling the tree Woody? Cringey. But best of luck to Sam and Jay, I hope  it works for them.

Sass is so incredibly sharp and perceptive, isn’t he? While the other ghosts sometimes don’t get the implications of what is happening (like Isaac with some things he says, Pete seeing his wife bring a “friend”, Thor with, well, most everything, etc.), Sass just sees right away what is happening and why. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

IRL (if there were ghosts like these In Real Life) this would be the way to make both their BNB and Sam's creative career successes.

Seriously. This is a gift to a writer: to have these kind of characters telling her the stories of their lives. It's also why Sass's idea for the website was brilliant: the stories have always been there, while the living have come and gone.

Basing rooms and attractions at the B&B on the real, historical events that took place in and around could make the place VERY successful.(Not to mention having an award-winning chef with a destination restaurant.)

Structurally, the arc is there for a very successful business AND writing career for Sam. So we'll see what detours and surprises the writers have in mind.

• Love 19

None of the ghosts were guests. So I don't think they'll have that issue. The last ghost died in 1999. 

This would be great for Sam to tell stories about each of the ghosts complete with books on each of the them that they can sell. They can make some great money with this. But i guess it depends on what the plan is for this show is. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

They do need to be careful not to develop a reputation for being a place where a lot of guests die. Haunted is a niche market. Cursed is a business killer.

There is a hotel in Belfast that was bombed by the IRA something like 30 times. I have always wondered how on Earth it stayed in business. You’d think that after, I don’t know, the first dozen bombings potential guests would have caught on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Isn't Trevor wearing boxer shorts? Don't those count as underwear?

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think what you're seeing as "boxer shorts" are really the tails of his dress shirt.

Yeah, I remember an early scene where all the ghosts covered their eyes or exclaimed for him to cover up. Something like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, I remember an early scene where all the ghosts covered their eyes or exclaimed for him to cover up. Something like that. 

Trevor always has a CGI blur over his crotch, which implies Trevor literally has no pants.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Jay: We need this place to open soon, so we can earn a living.  

Sam: I know.

Jay: Or, we need to find another valuable ghost watch.  But, you are taking it off the next corpse!  Oh, what is my life, even?

I hope this show has a really long life.. and then gets sucked off to a very happy place. :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Driad said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Trevor always has a CGI blur over his crotch

Thank you, I didn't know that.  My TV is not great, and my eyes are worse.

I think it may have been more obvious in the first episode or a preview? I only know it's there now because I know it's there.

• Love 2

I totally believe Sass has evolved his accent and language over the years as he was exposed to different people at the mansion. 

I could believe it too except he hasn't. He talked the same way 500 years ago. I think we just have to accept the fact that the show doesn't want him to have any kind of dialect that could be perceived as offensive to native Americans. (They apparently aren't too concerned with offending Vikings or Victorian era folk). 

Trevor always has a CGI blur over his crotch

Thank you, I didn't know that.  My TV is not great, and my eyes are worse.

I think it may have been more obvious in the first episode or a preview? I only know it's there now because I know it's there.

It was in the pilot. His back was to the camera, and he lifted his arms and they blurred out his butt, and the other ghosts covered their eyes. They haven't really done that since.

How did he catfish Jay's sister anyway if he hasn't perfected typing yet? Must have taken hours to type a sentence.

He did say it took him several weeks, or perhaps even months.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I’m with everyone else glad to see this show back!  And both stories were personally relevant: like Sam, I delayed something web-related; when the bad news came, there was a Flower-equivalent as a comfort.    Now if only there was a live storyteller to replace my  tv……

The side conversations were hilarious, especially all the maybes and Hetty’s response to Trevor

Edited by nora1992
Correction
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, greekmom said:

This is the only thing that bugged me about the episode.  It was great of Sam to get all the ghosts together to hear Sass be a storyteller, but that had to SUCK for Jay.  Just sitting there, maybe getting a translation from Sam, when all he wanted to do was watch some hoops.  that hit a sour note with me.  Probably because I hate to be idle like that.

Otherwise, a welcome back.  Loved Sass's flashback and didn't realize that was the actor's father, so thanks!  The "Maybee" bit was great, especially from Thorfin.

• Love 3