Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E07: Gently Down the Stream

• Start Topic

On 2/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, Starchild said:

I found myself super annoyed at the ex-flight attendants ("did we mention we lost our jobs?") going on and on about what a strong team they are when they accomplished nothing on their own this leg. Following another team around and switching their detour choice to avoid doing it by themselves. The twins have realized that they'll blow you off if you're not helping them out (and rightly so, it's a race after all), but I kept yelling at Kim and Penn (my faves) to just. stop. helping them.

I can't stand them, constantly talking about what a strong team they are, constantly reminding us that they are flight attendants, and now they are unemployed and living with their moms. Yet in reality they rely on others to help them constantly. Plus I find their "enthusiasm" nauseating and headache inducing. They're whole schtick on "we're gonna win this leg!!!" yea sure, only if someone gets directions for you, helps you with the challenge so then you can leave them behind, and they couldn't even manage to do that.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:09 AM, Leeds said:

Within seconds of The Race starting I was yelling at my TV, "RaquelCayla (don't know which is which), please put your tits away."   I have nothing against a modest amount of well-supported cleavage, but that is not what she was giving us.   And then next thing, in the car, she said something about putting the top down and I could only think, "Lady, you already did."

I call them Bert & Ernie. And yes the cameraman definitely was focusing on her boobage when she was reading the clue and I wanted to unsee it as quickly as possible. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

This is JMO but Dusty doesn't get the fact that no one cares he is even there. Ryan is the reason they are on the show and that's who most people are interested in. But, Dusty does 75% of the talking and we never really get to hear what Ryan thinks.

Also, Dusty has screwed up at least 2 challenges. The cheese making and this weeks rowing/paddling. He got water in the boat and didnt listen the first time Ryan told him he was getting water in the boat. He just kept doing it until the boat went down. I'm not as nice as Ryan, I would have hit him in the head with the paddle.

Ryan is more quiet, I suspect that he learned to be careful with what he says and when he says it. He is likely to be more guarded in interviews. Dusty has less reason to be guarded and is the one most likely answering questions.

Dusty is fine but very competitive and a bit of the Bro archetype. That said, he is less Bro then others that we have seen. He could stand to chill out a bit but he has not pushed so far past my tolerance that I am annoyed with him. He is by far the most outwardly competitive person this season but I don't think he would stand out in other seasons. 

I do think the FA are burning bridges with there "work with you until I can get a head of you" approach. The places where they are racing ahead are not actually all that advantageous. I don't count the parking this leg in that, Penn missed it and the FA saw Penn and Kim point out that they drove past it. The FA turned in and got to the task first. Then they waited for Kim and Penn to finish the task. I do think that last weeks Canyon task was probably not necessary. It didn't really impact that much. I think the Twins lost time at the kayaks and that the FA would still have finished second had they gotten to the kayaks a few minutes later. I don't think it is a huge deal but the other teams are noticing when this happens. The twins were salty and Penn was salty, for about 10 minutes. As long as Natalia and Arun are in the race, there is no reason to be burning bridges. 

I think that we are seeing the more competitive nature coming out of each of the teams in small ways. The Twins being annoyed with the FA passing them, Penn's mini melt down over the FA, the FA desire to push ahead at all times. Dusty's over the top bellowing is just the most obvious competitive sign. I suspect that we will see more signs as this race goes on but that the bonds the teams share because of the COVID mess is masking some of that competitive spirit. The last bunch of weeks should be interesting. 

Also, the racers are hitting the fatigue state far later in this season because of the break, which is changing the dynamic in the race.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, aemom said:

My beef with Dusty is that he seems to have such a sense of entitlement - that there is no possible reason that they should be anything less than first at all times and seems to almost lord it over the other teams.  That kind of behavior never sits well with me.

This is my thought as well. Overall I like them as a team, they get along well and neither is nasty to the other but Dusty's "we deserve to win because we are the best team" attitude is off-putting. Those that complete the tasks first win, not the ones who think everyone should just wait for them to finish. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

This is my thought as well. Overall I like them as a team, they get along well and neither is nasty to the other but Dusty's "we deserve to win because we are the best team" attitude is off-putting. Those that complete the tasks first win, not the ones who think everyone should just wait for them to finish. 

He is confident and I do think they are the strongest team and they are the team to beat.  Their confidence seems to be deserved because all the other teams recognise how strong they are.  Kim and Penn are probably their strongest competition and even Penn remarked on how refreshing it was that for once they weren't at the top.

17 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

The difference is that Ryan and Dusty made a point of dramatically whipping off their life vests at the mat to reveal their shirtlessness, while also (at least in Dusty's case) whooping and hollering about their comeback. That's what Raquel and Cayla were teasing them about. Raquel's tank-top was just a sartorial choice without any big production.

Plus, there's a big difference between her mildly teasing a guy who she is otherwise perfectly friendly with, and the shaming of a woman for wearing a comfortable top in hot weather, which seems to be what's going on here (by some parties, anyway).

And so what if they relied on another team for this leg? That shouldn't completely discount what they said about wanting to be independent in their real life. It's making mountains out of molehills in my opinion.

Sorry, but I don't see much difference.  I don't fault them for taking their shirts off under their life vests.  It looked like a very good possibility they could have been white water rafting, or maybe have to swim in the river, and it could be as simple as them not wanting to get their shirts wet.  Then perhaps they took the life vests off because they got a little wet, and wet plastic against bare skin on a hot day is not a comfortable feeling?

There have been plenty of opportunities for them to take their shirts off throughout the race, and this was the only time we have seen it, and it was after a water-related task, so I'm not sure why they got so much flak about it from Raquel and Penn. 

I note that they did not take their shirts off before putting on the life vests for this week's canoe/fishing task.

I don't see any difference between them taking their shirts off under their life vests because they were hot, and Raquel wearing a tiny top.  The hot weather affects both of them, yet it seems to be OK for her to make fun of them, but not OK for others to point out that she did the same thing?

20 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

That cheese fails in comparison to the huge amount of cavier they had to eat in an earlier season (which is really salty).

16 hours ago, jabRI said:

I remember the mounds of horseradish in Germany one year? Yikes

To me, nothing can top that entire sheep head that Kat and Nat had to eat.  I think they may have even had to eat the eyeballs?  And at least one of them was a vegetarian.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Sorry, but I don't see much difference.  I don't fault them for taking their shirts off under their life vests.  It looked like a very good possibility they could have been white water rafting, or maybe have to swim in the river, and it could be as simple as them not wanting to get their shirts wet.  Then perhaps they took the life vests off because they got a little wet, and wet plastic against bare skin on a hot day is not a comfortable feeling?

There have been plenty of opportunities for them to take their shirts off throughout the race, and this was the only time we have seen it, and it was after a water-related task, so I'm not sure why they got so much flak about it from Raquel and Penn. 

I note that they did not take their shirts off before putting on the life vests for this week's canoe/fishing task.

I don't see any difference between them taking their shirts off under their life vests because they were hot, and Raquel wearing a tiny top.  The hot weather affects both of them, yet it seems to be OK for her to make fun of them, but not OK for others to point out that she did the same thing?

You're missing my point. As I said, Raquel and Cayla weren't teasing them for merely taking their shirts or life vests off (nor do I fault the guys for that). It was the whole spectacle of them running up to the mat making a bunch of noise (again, Dusty mostly) and dramatically whipping them off right at the mat for all to see, like they had just won a gladiator match in the arena. Raquel just got up that day and put on a tank top. There is a difference between those two things. And describing what Raquel and Cayla did as giving them "so much flak" is a huge overstatement, in my opinion. It was a little harmless teasing that I'm not even sure Ryan and Dusty noticed.

But if someone dislikes Raquel and Cayla for whatever reason, their interpretation is going to be different. I get that, and I'm not going to keep beating it into the ground. I just want you to disagree with what I'm actually talking about.

(I will say that some of the comments here, like "put your tits away!" and "popping out of her top" went beyond just "pointing out that she did the same thing." Why should she have to cover up more than a smaller woman just because it makes people uncomfortable? It's not like she was in the office or at church or something.)

47 minutes ago, blackwing said:

He is confident and I do think they are the strongest team and they are the team to beat.  Their confidence seems to be deserved because all the other teams recognise how strong they are.  Kim and Penn are probably their strongest competition and even Penn remarked on how refreshing it was that for once they weren't at the top.

Dusty ripped off his life vest as part of his manly screaming while storming the mat and proclaiming how awesome they were at finishing not last. It was 100% an act of dominance on Dusty's part. Ryan removed his life vest calmly like a normal human being. I could careless that he took his shirt off before the kayaking bit, guys without shirts in the water is pretty normal. I doubt that they thought they were going white water kayaking because most of those teams would not be qualified to handle that type of thing solo. It was how he removed it that was humorous and ridiculous. 

And there is a huge difference between between being a physical team to contend with and being the team to beat. we have yet to see how Dusty and Ryan handle an actual puzzle or mental task. Dusty fell apart at the cheese making task because it required 1) following directions and 2) patience. His haste to complete the canoe task this last episode literally sank them. 

Everyone was happy to see Ryan and Dusty not in first place. I bet everyone would be happy to see Kim and Penn not in first place. Kim and Penn are not going to win a sprint but they handled the physical tasks pretty well and with some solid times. They are not exactly dragging on those tasks. They are not Alpha Bros but Kim and Penn are probably the most complete team all around. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

This is JMO but Dusty doesn't get the fact that no one cares he is even there. Ryan is the reason they are on the show and that's who most people are interested in. But, Dusty does 75% of the talking and we never really get to hear what Ryan thinks.

Also, Dusty has screwed up at least 2 challenges. The cheese making and this weeks rowing/paddling. He got water in the boat and didnt listen the first time Ryan told him he was getting water in the boat. He just kept doing it until the boat went down. I'm not as nice as Ryan, I would have hit him in the head with the paddle.

I don't think that anything phases Ryan anymore.

Any time something happens to him in life, he probably just thinks "well, it's not as bad as prison," and just keeps going or ignores it.

And I'm sure he's right.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I can't stand them, constantly talking about what a strong team they are, constantly reminding us that they are flight attendants, and now they are unemployed and living with their moms.

The production crews pressure the racers to keep reminding the audience of their tagline. 

We were Division One Atheletes!
I was Jailed for a Crime I Didn't Commit.
We Stopped a Terrorist on a Train.
We are unemployed Flight Attendants.

I don't really think it's fair to berate anyone for repeatedly saying what TPTB repeatedly tell them to say. Yes, it can be annoying as all of hell, but...

3 hours ago, BexKeps said:

And yes the cameraman definitely was focusing on her boobage when she was reading the clue and I wanted to unsee it as quickly as possible. 

That would be the cameraman at fault, then. 

I'm pro-Flight Attendant. Not because of boobage, but because they seem to be enjoying themselves more than anyone else (other than cheese-man). Their process of working with people for a while and then trying to leapfrog ahead may not be the smartest -- it could come back to bite them. But it's a better strategy than some I've seen before and in truth, I prefer the idea to the formation of long-term alliances which only serve to turn the season to crap like S32.

As far as the boobage is concerned, I have nothing against décolletage and I really can't say that in this case there was anything particularly immodest about the choice of outfit. Frankly, before the cameraman went up in their grill, I was paying more attention to the back yard than the front balcony.

• Love 5

MAGGOT CHEESE!!!!  OH DEAR GOD!!!!  I don't know if I could've done that even for a guaranteed million dollars, so props to the racers.

I think the kayak detour was easier as long as you didn't sink.  The net task looked diabolical, but once Penn figured out how to keep the net spread out, it didn't seem quite so bad.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, survivinmt said:

That little 3 bites of cheese was nothing

I love cheese, but that 3 little bites of cheese with live maggots in it would've been beyond me whereas I could've eaten 4lbs of meat if I had needed to.  I will say, though, Boston Rob convincing at least one other team to take the time penalty was genius.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:30 AM, grandmabegum said:

I wonder if the group starting times is less of a logistical problem and more of a keeping things fair issue. Like the producers might not have thought it was fair to bunch them on one leg when a team had a lead and not bunch them on the rest. Maybe? Though I don't know if they're bunched next leg or not.

There are logistical issues with keeping staff at the pitstop for late arriving teams, especially if they need to be at the airport the next day.  Covid is the reason for this and therefore  I'm cutting TPTB a break on it.

On 2/10/2022 at 11:36 AM, iMonrey said:

Yes but he was allowed to take it there at the RB rather than proceed to the mat and wait as was the precedent.

Penalties taken at the mat were usually for screwing something up while doing a task.  I'm not sure anyone prior to that particular Race had taken the time penalty instead of doing the roadblock.  I do know that on later Races (for the Globetrotters at least) the roadblock penalty was done right away at the location of the roadblock, not on the mat.  I hated Boston Rob, but he didn't cheat.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I really don't understand why after the restart they have teams go out in groups as opposed to one a time, maybe 10 minutes apart separately.

TPTB didn't want to stretch things out too far for Covid-related logistical reasons.  It is what it is.

6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Is recreational kayaking a lot less popular of an activity than I thought?

I think it's less popular in some areas than in others.

20 hours ago, zapper said:

I saw them sink and get out in the water before the commercial break. After the break I saw how they flipped the boat, got under it and flipped it up and over to right it without water in it. Took them at least two tries to get it done without water still being in the boat, but pretty impressive show of strength. then they got back in, reclaimed the paddles floating away and carried on.

I learned how to do that with a canoe in Girl Scouts in elementary school (also, how to paddle without filling the canoe up with water). Not sure you have to be really strong to do flip it rightside. Once you have it upright again, the two people get in the boat from opposite sides to offset the boat tipping one way or the other.

20 hours ago, Leeds said:

Thanks for posting this.  Like many others here I was predisposed to dislike them but have come to like and appreciate them.  That said, when I started to watch their UTube thing, I quickly found it becoming tiresome so checked the time.  It's an hour long!  How can a recap of something that's an hour be an hour?  Not my cup of tea, I guess!

I think you followed up on this, but yeah, listen to the podcast of it instead. I do that while doing a puzzle. :)  Not much visual to miss out on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Not sure you have to be really strong to do flip it rightside.

I don't know how heavy that kayak was.  The one I was in the time I went kayaking would've been a bit of a trick because it felt heavy to me, but then again, I'm not exactly in great shape.  I defer to the opinions of Dusty & Ryan on this one, because they did know how heavy it was.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

TPTB didn't want to stretch things out too far for Covid-related logistical reasons.  It is what it is.

Well, they could have released one team every five minutes instead of two teams every ten. 

I'm cutting them a lot of slack as they recover from COVID and implement new procedures to suit. But this measure is an invitation to form alliances or for teams to play follow-the-leader. I hope they re-think this for future races.

• Love 4
Just now, Netfoot said:

Well, they could have released one team every five minutes instead of two teams every ten. 

I'm cutting them a lot of slack as they recover from COVID and implement new procedures to suit. But this measure is an invitation to form alliances or for teams to play follow-the-leader. I hope they re-think this for future races.

I suppose that could've worked, but as last season proved, even releasing teams at intervals based on when they arrived does not prevent the formation of alliances.  This season has actually had far less of that.  So I don't think your solution would change things up at all.

And that's really my last word on the subject because honestly, whatever way they had to do it to even have this season at all is absolutely fine with me.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

MAGGOT CHEESE!!!!  OH DEAR GOD!!!!  I don't know if I could've done that even for a guaranteed million dollars, so props to the racers.

I was wondering if the drink Phil gave everyone at the mat might have had something in it to kill the maggots.

Does anyone else get the ads for some job search place (I think?) that keeps thanking Phil? It makes me very confused, like why are all these people thanking Phil? then I tried to pay closer attention to it and I think its a job search place but I still don't know if they also have a Phil? or why they chose that name.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

To me, nothing can top that entire sheep head that Kat and Nat had to eat.  I think they may have even had to eat the eyeballs?  And at least one of them was a vegetarian.

I don't think maggot cheese would have bothered me much.  Seemed like some of the racers would shove it in their mouth, I would conveniently let some fall to the ground as I think I saw some crumbs do for some of the racers.  We didn't see anyone vomit, would there have been a penalty?

I think the worse was the famous challenge eating some Argentinian meat feast - intestines, kidney, udder, blood sausage - that Rob Mariano masterfully convinced all of them to take the penalty for.

Because most people when paddling a kayak/canoe don't end up filling it with water.  

I'm not sure what was going on, but those kayaks looked pretty flimsy and Ryan and Dusty are both heavy guys so the rim of the kayak was already pretty close to the surface of the water. And every time they leaned over to pull up the fish, water got into the boat. 

That said, they righted the boat with little trouble or fuss. They seem pretty efficient to me. I'd like to see the flight attendants, the twins, or Arun and Natalia in the same situation to see how they would fare.

Helps that [Ryan's] also pretty likeable, as opposed to the guy he's running the race with. 

I think it says a lot about Dusty's character that he stuck by his friend through nine years of prison, visiting and writing and keeping up his spirits. A lot of people would have just moved on with their lives and abandoned him, which I'm sure many of Ryan's other friends did.

Is Dusty intense in his competitiveness? Sure. But, it's a race. He wants to win. They all do. I won't begrudge his enthusiasm or drive so long as he's not an asshole to anyone. So far, he hasn't been.

• Love 15

If you think of the worst racer ever I would say Dusty doesn’t come even come closer to them. He’s more intense then Ryan but I don’t have any hate vibes for him. He’s a little OTT though with his mat chats with Phil whatever they place. Even in the BTS clips he had to go in the water where they had camped. He is always ON. I don’t know if that’s just for the race or him in general. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, aemom said:

Any time something happens to him in life, he probably just thinks "well, it's not as bad as prison," and just keeps going or ignores it.

And I'm sure he's right.

Kim and Penn mentioned in a few of their blogs that he’s very ————-.  I remember she made a flat movement with her hand. Like, he doesn’t get very excited or bummed out. I’m assuming b/c he learned to not to react to much in prison; kind of a keep your head down and get through it. He was young so it probably fundamentally changed him as a person. I wonder how much he differs from before & after prison. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I think it says a lot about Dusty's character that he stuck by his friend through nine years of prison, visiting and writing and keeping up his spirits. A lot of people would have just moved on with their lives and abandoned him, which I'm sure many of Ryan's other friends did.

This is why though I will roll my eyes at Dusty Dudebro-ness, and be annoyed with his intensity, I can't actually hate him.  He's intense, and likely more fun to be around when not engaging in a competition.  He'd be fun at a BBQ until the cornhole/ladder golf/yard darts/volleyball game starts.  Then I'd just have to leave.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

The production crews pressure the racers to keep reminding the audience of their tagline

I try to keep reminding myself of this. Also, teams can say 10 minutes of nice things sandwiching 10 seconds of criticism and the editing may just include the criticism for the sake of drama. I try not to get too hung up on what look likes might be driven by production.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, aemom said:

And I'm sure he's right.

Yeah, his comment about the cheese and comparing it to prison food rather matter-of-factly impressed me.

Edited to add: Sorry, @meep.meep, I posted before I'd read your post!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
On 2/11/2022 at 1:32 PM, proserpina65 said:

I suppose that could've worked, but as last season proved, even releasing teams at intervals based on when they arrived does not prevent the formation of alliances.  This season has actually had far less of that.

I don't see this season really having alliances in the way that last season did. Last season, a bunch of teams committed to helping each other and forcing other teams out. This season, it's just a matter of whichever teams are in the lead decide to work together to stay in the lead (or two teams at the same detour working together). They are not refusing to work with a team due to a pre-existing alliance.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

committed to helping each other and forcing other teams out. This season, it's just a matter of whichever teams are in the lead decide to work together to stay in the lead (or two teams at the same detour working together). They are not refusing to work with a team due to a pre-existing alliance.

Which is fine by me. I've never had a problem with teams working together to solve an immediate problem, like finding directions or solving some puzzle. It's the systemic, long-term cooperation of certain teams to deliberately target and eliminate others that I hope we never see the like of which again.

My main objective to the dual departures stems from Arun & Natalia. I actually think they're good folks, and don't dislike them in any way, but I can't deny that they are navigationally non-functional. Allowing them to depart at the same time as other team(s) is a simple invitation for them (and teams in general) to play follow-the-leader.

Riding on others coat-tails has been done many times in the past and will probably be done many times in the future. I just don't think it should be made so easy an option.

• Love 3
On 2/11/2022 at 11:10 AM, dgpolo said:

I was wondering if the drink Phil gave everyone at the mat might have had something in it to kill the maggots.

After the maggot cheese I was very wary of that drink! He didn't say what it was, just that it was this dude's specialty or something like that. If I were racing I'd have wanted a little more info first just chugging it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, snarktini said:

After the maggot cheese I was very wary of that drink! He didn't say what it was, just that it was this dude's specialty or something like that. If I were racing I'd have wanted a little more info first just chugging it.

The bonus clips on YouTube showed people asking about the drink and being a little leery of consuming it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 2/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, LBS said:

When the camera had that shot of her and the clue, my husband and I (both mid-40s) yelled out ‘Boobs’ at the same time which completely debunked the theory that with age comes maturity. 🤣

Got you beat--I'm 61, yelled "Boobies!," and my 60 y.o. husband laughed uproariously.

As far as I'm concerned she can wear anything that is appropriate in the country she's in, and I know the race is careful about making sure they all know those customs, and if I looked good in a tank top I'd happily wear one.  Some people have chests.  As long as no nipples are showing it's fine by me.

I'd say the "because we're unemployed and living at home we..." and "after prison nothing fazes me..." lines don't hold a candle to the so-obviously-production-led "As NFL wives, we...."  as far as record-scratch-what-was-that reactions from me.

What was written on top of Penn's glasses?  (I mean, I assume it 's brand related but it was unusual to me).  We laughed as heartily at his "nerd glasses activate!" and further banter as we did at Boobies!  He looks like a friend of mine when he puts them on.

Corsica is creeping ever higher on my list of places to visit in the "if we ever can travel safely again" times.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 2/10/2022 at 6:12 PM, Starchild said:

By the way, I noticed for the first time that, in place of a wedding ring, Penn has Kim's name tattooed on his finger. That's...pretty romantic.

Heh, he actually mentioned it in one of his ADHD "Top 10 Tips" vids. After losing (I think it was ) three rather expensive wedding rings, he had her name tattooed in place of the ring so he couldn't "lose" it. 😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, smartymarty said:

I don't see this season really having alliances in the way that last season did. Last season, a bunch of teams committed to helping each other and forcing other teams out. This season, it's just a matter of whichever teams are in the lead decide to work together to stay in the lead (or two teams at the same detour working together). They are not refusing to work with a team due to a pre-existing alliance.

That's one reason that I'm really enjoying this season.  None of the teams have been nasty to other teams or to the locals.  Last season almost did me in to the point where I wasn't sure I could watch another season with that kind of nastiness.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's one reason that I'm really enjoying this season.  None of the teams have been nasty to other teams or to the locals.  Last season almost did me in to the point where I wasn't sure I could watch another season with that kind of nastiness.

This is possibly the most likable final 5 ever, cumulatively. There have been teams in past final fives I've liked more, but usually also teams I've liked a LOT less. Aside from some to-be-expected transitory snippiness, this has been a very pleasant group to watch.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:08 AM, Racj82 said:

Call me an A Hole but I've always hated the idea of non elimination legs and really hate it this season.

Agree 100%. The fact that daughter and dad are still in it, it will be coming off my PVR and wait for next year. This was my favorite show, but I'm so disappointed this year.

I was thinking that there was a good chance that if Akbar had been able to do the obstacle course at a normal pace, his team would have beaten Ryan and Dusty and that would have shaken things up a lot. But he couldn't, and now we're going to have them likely brag their way to the finals, if not the win. Thanks, Akbar.

It was fun watching Akbar being passed like he was sitting still, but he's not the only reason Ryan and Dusty are still in the race. They also passed up two other teams on the river kayak (and probably would have packed Akbar and Sheri there too if they weren't already ahead - the final three teams on that leg showed little aptitude for kayaking and probably all took a while). 

Ryan and Dusty were still doing they kayak when the other two teams returned from the boat ride. If they other two teams hadn't just missed the first boat (so, they had to wait 15 minutes for the next one) and messed up the fish-finding, R&D would have been last out of the roadblock. On the other hand, it was impressive that four people couldn't remember 10 fish. Ryan could probably have done the spot-the-fish-challenge ("in prison, I learned how to patiently observe"), but Dusty would have been liked a trapped squirrel running from one side of the other while chattering wildly.

Kim & Penn are wise to keep the flight attendants close. The FAs are bad navigators and tend to choose the wrong detour (only switching to follow K&P). If you are going to help somebody, help somebody you can beat.  Plus, by blocking the main competition out of the early departure time, they keep winning legs and prizes. The FAs have a lot of positive energy, so they are fun to watch.

It annoys me when A&N keep getting all the chances. At least Arun seems to recognize that they aren't great racers, but will keep having fun as long as it lasts.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, kili said:

It annoys me when A&N keep getting all the chances. At least Arun seems to recognize that they aren't great racers, but will keep having fun as long as it lasts.

This is one of those cases where they (A&N) aren't doing anything wrong, and aren't even playing nasty. However far they go - even so far as to win - they aren't breaking any rules, so they will legitimately deserve what ever success they achieve.

But they've been saved so many times I think I'm just about ready for them to go. I understand the need for extra NELs to offset the short field in this Rescued-From-Disaster series, but another save for Arun and Natalia and I will not be best pleased!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, kili said:

Kim & Penn are wise to keep the flight attendants close. The FAs are bad navigators and tend to choose the wrong detour (only switching to follow K&P). If you are going to help somebody, help somebody you can beat.  Plus, by blocking the main competition out of the early departure time, they keep winning legs and prizes. The FAs have a lot of positive energy, so they are fun to watch.

Although, the FAs did find the parking area for the maggot cheese while Kim and Penn drove past it (sparking Penn's temporary snippiness toward them even though how were they supposed to signal him, exactly?)

The FAs also led the way to the detour and found the clue box for the roadblock while K/P initially went the wrong way. They double checked their own fish list before turning it in rather than just blindly accepting Penn's guess. Plus, Cayla found the yellow threads marking the area of the net that needed to be mended and pointed it out to Penn.

So I'm not sure this narrative that the FAs would be completely floundering without K/P's help is completely true. K/P are probably sharper, yes, but the FAs aren't helpless.

3 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

Agree 100%. The fact that daughter and dad are still in it, it will be coming off my PVR and wait for next year. This was my favorite show, but I'm so disappointed this year.

The real test will be this week. They are either in or they are out. They seem like nice people but are clueless on the race. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Although, the FAs did find the parking area for the maggot cheese while Kim and Penn drove past it (sparking Penn's temporary snippiness toward them even though how were they supposed to signal him, exactly?)

The FAs also led the way to the detour and found the clue box for the roadblock while K/P initially went the wrong way. They double checked their own fish list before turning it in rather than just blindly accepting Penn's guess. Plus, Cayla found the yellow threads marking the area of the net that needed to be mended and pointed it out to Penn.

So I'm not sure this narrative that the FAs would be completely floundering without K/P's help is completely true. K/P are probably sharper, yes, but the FAs aren't helpless.

While Kim & Penn are a strong team the FA seemed to be fine, too. They aren’t in an alliance or really working together but this time it was better to be near someone just to know you weren’t truly last. I’m not sure what the bunching time is for this week so I’ll be curious if one these two teams out race each other. Of course, there is always Dusty and Ryan in the mix. I’m just curious between Kim/Penn & the FA who will come out on top. It doesn’t mean they’ll win the whole race but it will be interesting to see if one can break away from the other. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

This is possibly the most likable final 5 ever, cumulatively. There have been teams in past final fives I've liked more, but usually also teams I've liked a LOT less. Aside from some to-be-expected transitory snippiness, this has been a very pleasant group to watch.

I agree with this a million times.  I don't know if I could have handled it if we had last year's cast in this year's situation, waiting 19 months to end up with that bunch on my screen.  ugh.   This time, I'd be good with any of these teams winning.  I'm rooting for Kim & Penn or Raquel & Cayla, but I'd be ok with any of them winning. 

I find Arun & Nat's 9 lives to be amusing.  I guess it's because I like them as a team, so I think it's more funny than frustrating for them to be kept in time and time again.  I do hope that before they're eliminated they have the opportunity to really rock one challenge that others struggle on.  I just want them to have one really good moment on the race.  And if they stick around to the final?  Good for them.  I'm ok with that. 

Has anyone heard about casting calls for TAR 34?  Has there been any word on if/when production will start on that?

• Love 6
On 2/10/2022 at 10:48 AM, Lovecat said:

My college Psych professor taught us that people can retain "7 +/- 2" things in short-term memory (so, 5-9 things), a guideline I use to this day.

There is also the Rule of Recency and the Rule of Primacy: You remember better the last few things on the list (recency) or the first few things on the list (primacy) and have more trouble remembering the things in the middle.

• Love 3
On 2/10/2022 at 12:16 PM, aghst said:

I don't recall shots from inside the cars, like dash cams or maybe a camera in the mirror.  Certainly no shots from the back seats.

Did those cars even have back seats? I thought it was just two in the front.

1 minute ago, eel21788 said:

Did those cars even have back seats? I thought it was just two in the front.

There were head rests in the back seat. I am sure that a kid might fit back there or one adult sitting lengthwise and uncomfortable. 

5 hours ago, kili said:

It was fun watching Akbar being passed like he was sitting still, but he's not the only reason Ryan and Dusty are still in the race. They also passed up two other teams on the river kayak (and probably would have packed Akbar and Sheri there too if they weren't already ahead - the final three teams on that leg showed little aptitude for kayaking and probably all took a while). 

How dare you bring facts and logic into a perfectly good hate-on-Akbar post? :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1