Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E11: A Food Star Is Born

• Start Topic

When Nicole was saying that having a cooking show has been a dream of hers since she was a kid and Giada immediately squawked "We're not that old!" I rolled my eyes so hard.  Right, Giada.  Because cooking shows did not exist before you and your 72 teeth showed up.  Those chompers were truly terrifying tonight.

L'oreal's hair looked like Little Bo Peep.

• Love 7

Food Network has just shown how few principles they have by letting Lenny win.  I thought when they let Paula Deen go it may have been a statement against what her words meant but now I see it was just an exercise in covering their asses.  It's all for show with them.  I don't know how I could have thought otherwise.

Mr. Sparklepuss is a lawyer - He tells me they may have had to let Lenny win even if they found out about his antics mid way through the season and didn't like them.  He says it depends on how the contestants' contracts are written.  The rules may not allow for them to overturn the public vote.  It may really be all up to the public to decide.  If they didn't let him win, he could have slapped them with a lawsuit.  I don't really believe that they would leave themselves open to all of this, though.

• Love 1

When Nicole was saying that having a cooking show has been a dream of hers since she was a kid and Giada immediately squawked "We're not that old!" I rolled my eyes so hard.  Right, Giada.  Because cooking shows did not exist before you and your 72 teeth showed up.  Those chompers were truly terrifying tonight.

Nicole actually said something like "I grew up watching you guys", which is what Giada responded to.  I thought it was very bitchy and inappropriate of Giada to react like that because she should have known that Nicole didn't mean it the way it sounded.  I think it was designed to make Nicole look bad.  I have been at the butt end of bitchy comments like that and I hate them!  Giada's bitchiness this season was worse than ever, especially towards the female contestants.  And her teeth were unbelievable tonight!!  They were like a scary Halloween mask!

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 3

Food Network has just shown how few principles they have by letting Lenny win.  I thought when they let Paula Deen go it may have been a statement against what her words meant but now I see it was just an exercise in covering their asses.  It's all for show with them.  I don't know how I could have thought otherwise.

Mr. Sparklepuss is a lawyer - He tells me they may have had to let Lenny win even if they found out about his antics mid way through the season and didn't like them.  He says it depends on how the contestants' contracts are written.  The rules may not allow for them to overturn the public vote.  It may really be all up to the public to decide.  If they didn't let him win, he could have slapped them with a lawsuit.  I don't really believe that they would leave themselves open to all of this, though.

Mr. Sparklepuss is right.  However, unless Food Network hired a first year law student to write the contract, I don't see why they would state that, in any way, they are absolutely bound by a public vote.  I would imagine that the contract wouldn't even mention the mechanism by which a winner is chosen because it wouldn't really matter, i would think the contract would mostly outline the responsibilities of each party as it pertains to the job.  What happens if they get the job, what are the conditions of them appearing on TV, their agreement not to use their cell phone, stuff like that.  But I don't see why FN would particularly have a duty to any contestant to ensure to them that they are being chosen by a public vote.  I would think any FNS contract would either strictly give FN the right to pick the winner (reserving the right to overturn or veto a public vote) or it wouldn't mention it at all.  In fact a lot of shows mention it specifically - normally at the end of the show, in really small print, because I think a network running a game show may have a duty to the public to not make them think that they are the sole factor in determining a winner if they aren't, but I don't see why they would bind themselves contractual obligation to a fair game to a contestant.

And even if those were the rules, and he were to sue them, what would he sue them for?  Generally a remedy for breach of contract are your expectation damages, so what did Lenny expect to make for the show that would air on the network?  $100,000?  Well give him the $100k and don't do the show.  He could sue them for specific performance I suppose, but I think courts generally view that as a last resort, and if they wanted to comply and give him a show, that aired at 2:00 am Tuesday morning. 

• Love 1

Nicole actually said something like "I grew up watching you guys", which is what Giada responded to.  

That's what I get for commenting on a show I was only half-watching.  Hee.

Also forgot to mention, never really noticed what a silver fox Christopher is.

• Love 1

Now we have pioneer woman cooking and chuckwagon cooking. Seriously, are Americans that keen on "Little Kitchen Cooking on the Prairie?"

And Trisha Yearwood and Demaris. When is Food Network going to merge with Country Music Television?

Well, about 90% of reality TV shows are about rednecks, swamp men, and assorted other country folk. (Many of them no more legitimately "down home" than Cowboy Lenny). Maybe FN viewership now reflects the demographic of other cable networks. If that's true than FN no longer is concerned with appealing to urban audiences in the northeast and west coast.

Which is the audience that you'd think a network about food and cooking would largely be aimed at. But this is 2014, and the Arts and Entertainment network gives us "Duck Dynasty," Bravo is the home of the Real Housewives franchise, and The History Channel helps educate America with "Ice Road Truckers," "Mountain Men," and "Swamp People."

The "foodies" and serious home chefs I know who used to watch FN have all pretty much stopped watching. Why would they, as the programming is completely dominated by gimmicky competition and reality shows that are food themed but not really about food or cooking. Plus endless repeats of Triple D.

Maybe Cowboy Lenny won the vote because he had an easily recognizable and easy to remember shtick that set him apart from the other contestants. But it was the judges and the FN brass who made him one of the final three. They had to know he was going to win in a popularity contest over a pretty woman (the jealousy factor) and a foreigner with a funny accent.

May lighting strike me dead, but I would've preferred Sarah winning to Lenny. At least she was really from Texas. (Not that I would ever watch either.)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 12

Well. that happened. I seem to remember every other time the winner was chosen, someone said something about the winner having to get right in the studio because their show was going to be on in a week. Anybody else remember this? I was waiting for it, but they didn't say anything, so I wonder if it's because of Lenny's videos.

• Love 1

I'm disgusted by the outcome but sadly not too surprised. I am surprised that there's not even one intern assigned to doing basic internet checks before they sign these people to be on the show.

When Lenny was declared the winner I had a specific feeling. Remember the breakfast barf in a cup prepared in an early episode? I feel like that was just spewed all over me. Thanks FN.

I guess they were sure Cow Pah would go over better than Pah Style, and signed him up for the job before all the crap came out.  I think they'll give him his two hours on air (6 shows * 20 minutes with commercials), scripted to the hilt, show them once and cut him loose.  He won't be flying to any fancy restaurants and "cowboying up" their cuisine, he'll stand and stir and read his script like Aarti and other duds have done before, then he'll be gone.  Too bad, I would have liked a steel cage match between him and Ree's husband, broadcast live from the ranch.

• Love 6

I prepared myself for the worst after seeing what Lenny's brother posted, which leads me to wonder how he knew?

This show wasn't live, it was taped. When, I have no idea. But I saw a photo of Lenny celebrating his victory with his buddies at the lodge in Colorado.

I also know the contracts they all sign upon being asked to be on the show are huge and there is a 7-figure penalty if any of them discuss anything that happened on the show that didn't air or if they violate any terms of the contract. Believe me, they are ironclad and unbreakable. If Lenny doesn't get a show, he just doesn't get a show.

Now that those videos have been removed, naturally Lenny's supporters are saying "it wasn't him." Sorry, folks, we know what we saw. No way someone named "Chef Lenny" who looks like Lenny and talks like Lenny wasn't him.

• Love 2

Now that those videos have been removed, naturally Lenny's supporters are saying "it wasn't him." Sorry, folks, we know what we saw. No way someone named "Chef Lenny" who looks like Lenny and talks like Lenny wasn't him.

The crazy eyes gave him away.

Where are these supporters of Lenny posting their support?  

I will not watch a show with Lenny on it.  Either he is:

1:  A completely fake, over-the-top cariacature of a western cowboy

2:  A total idiot

With his open eyed, golly - gee, yes - ma'am, aw shucks, giant belt buckle, sash around the neck, hat wearing crap, he is either one of the 2 above.  And I do not want to see either of those.  Please get low ratings and go away quickly!!

• Love 7

I think it's kind of funny that this is the one episode of FNS that my DVR somehow missed even though it's set up to record the series.  I only caught what happened because I happened to turn on the TV directory right at the end and saw the last part. I'm pretty glad I missed it.  Thank you DVR for saving me.

Lenny's online supporters claiming that the videos don't show the "real" Kenny or that they aren't even of him remind me of that heinous racist bitch Krissy from Masterchef last year. It's in those unscripted instances where a person's true self is revealed.

• Love 1

And Trisha Yearwood and Demaris. When is Food Network going to merge with Country Music Television?

Well, about 90% of reality TV shows are about rednecks, swamp men, and assorted other country folk. (Many of them no more legitimately "down home" than Cowboy Lenny). Maybe FN viewership now reflects the demographic of other cable networks. If that's true than FN no longer is concerned with appealing to urban audiences in the northeast and west coast.

May lighting strike me dead, but I would've preferred Sarah winning to Lenny. At least she was really from Texas. (Not that I would ever watch either.)

I've had the same thought.  Perhaps it's because more of that audience is watching TV anymore?  I suppose it's an "if you build it they will come" phenomenon - Those other reality shows have changed the average audience and FN is attempting to appeal to them by jumping on the bandwagon.  The problem is the dumbing down seems to know  no end.  It's not just appealing to country folk, but idiot country folk (not that city folk can't be idiots too and that's what "Pah Stahl" was supposed to appeal to) and I think this Lenny character totally insults the intelligence of that audience.  I mean, he's not even from the South or West goddammit.  You would think his fans from those areas would notice and think he's a poser, but noooooo.  I fear for the future, really I do.  It's like the audience FN wants to appeal to is the rib eating, knuckle dragging, tooth missing Honey Boo Boo type families.  And I even feel bad including Honey Boo Boo in that, LOL.

I saved the video to my computer.  Not that I would post it anywhere because I could probably get in trouble for that, no?  But yeah, I can't believe how people are in denial.  It's like they want to be schmoozed by a con artist.  The chat board posts are still there unless someone goes in and deletes every one.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 2

I get the feeling that last night's show was taped Wednesday night, since voting ended at 11 that morning. Hints being dropped here and there afterward everywhere, etc.

This is the second time that the new "star" doesn't have their show airing on the following Sunday. Justin was the other one. Could Lenny be pitching some sort of hissy fit? Or are they busy scrubbing up his image? LOL

I will not watch a show with Lenny on it.  Either he is:

1:  A completely fake, over-the-top cariacature of a western cowboy

2:  A total idiot

With his open eyed, golly - gee, yes - ma'am, aw shucks, giant belt buckle, sash around the neck, hat wearing crap, he is either one of the 2 above.  And I do not want to see either of those.  Please get low ratings and go away quickly!!

Hah, I think he is both 1. and 2. above, LOL.  I think we can only hope they will go the route of Justin Warner with him, i.e., put off a show for as long as they can, be difficult about what kind of show to give him, then air a sparsely advertised one hour special almost a year later after everyone's forgotten about him that falls flat, and only feature him at "Food and Wine" events, Buick  commercials and blog posts (the guy is functionally illiterate so I don't know if they'll let him do the latter) before they let him ride into the sunset.

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

TslhV7L.jpg  This is still among the pictures still visible in one of Lenny's albums. Many have (not surprisingly) been deleted. This does, however, sum up how I feel about his being "selected" I CANNOT use the word "win" because this guy is such a loser !!!!! I was almost gagging during the flashback scenes when they showed him sitting down to speak with Giada. The faux "charm", the crazy eyes. ... and remembering him casually blurting out the "C" word during that brisket video!!! "Yes, Ma'am, the word c _ _ t is part of my vocabulary. ... and you are f - - - ing beautiful". 

I can only say I will wait and see how this plays out and IF he actually gets to do any on air shows. Would an advertiser who knows his background buy  time on his show????? 

• Love 2

I bet the FN execs were really following what he happened to Adam Richman and the ratings for his new show Food Fighters. A couple of month ago he got into a very nasty feud on Instagram. Travel Channel put their project with him on hiatus, but NBC went ahead with Food Fighters (and Wal Mart is airing ads featuring him.) He's getting solid ratings. 

Maybe, even with full knowledge of Lenny's past, FN just decided he is worth the risk.

I guess they were sure Cow Pah would go over better than Pah Style, and signed him up for the job before all the crap came out.  I think they'll give him his two hours on air (6 shows * 20 minutes with commercials), scripted to the hilt, show them once and cut him loose.  He won't be flying to any fancy restaurants and "cowboying up" their cuisine, he'll stand and stir and read his script like Aarti and other duds have done before, then he'll be gone.  Too bad, I would have liked a steel cage match between him and Ree's husband, broadcast live from the ranch.

Cow pah lol that's hilarious.  Perfect description.  

I could never see why everyone thought Giada was hot for Luca until last night.  I thought she was going to start humping him right there.

I felt so bad for Luca.  His pilot seemed jumbled to me but I still thought he deserved it more than Lenny.  I don't think I mentioned it before but Lenny seemed dirty to me.  Like he never bathed.  Maybe it was because he seemed to have worn the same pants every day.

I thought that Giada was going to fly out of her chair and onto Luca's a couple of times during the episode.  I think she has it bad for him.  Perhaps he'll join her on her show...  I also think that Luca really thought that he had it won in a couple of statements and answers that he made.

Lenny would be fine on a Saturday morning show.  I think the message to the FN is that even with the videos out, etc., that the people who voted still liked him better than the other options.  Really, what with L'oreal's hair screaming 'look at meeeeee' last night and the entire season focusing on Sarah, this was the year of the fake, over the top personalities.  And yes, I think there is fakeness in both Nicole (nobody will notice it's not Serrano ham) and Luca.  When Sarah had the TH about Luca making only risotto, I thought that Lenny might win (because she really did point out that there is an aspect of 'one note' with Luca).

There really aren't any shows on the FN that are can't miss T.V. for me with the exception of some of the competitions (Food Star, Food Trucks, etc.).  Most of the time that I watch FN is because nothing else is on and I just want something on in the background.

• Love 1

Two thoughts:  I liked how Bobby Flay came out publicly to say he supported Nicole.  I think there should be a Bobby Flay network.

I think if Luca had not been sent off to "Star Salvation" early in the competition he may have developed more of a fan base.  If so I think he would have beat Lenny.  I'm figuring Star Salvation didn't do much to make him known and probably made him less known to the audience.  Then again, that may have been part of the design.

Edited by Intuition

This may have been the only FNS final where I watched the majority of the episode without FF through it.

And it is because I was actually engaged in the contestants, mostly because of the work done here, I was interested in seeing the recaps of the season so that I could quickly see the events happen again with my new understanding of who Lenny really is. I was watching Lenny describe foods and assuming that instead of what he said on this show, he really wanted to use the comparisons like his sticky one on the Ron and Fez board. And when he was gushing on about Giada, I was assuming that he really wanted to say the same thing about her as he said about Ree Drummond. 

Sigh. I am sorry that America didn't have the pleasure of reading what I read. I have spoken with people here at work, mostly women in the 35-65 age range, and they all seemed to be okay with Lenny or even like him. When I tell them that his outside of FNS videos and internet discussions are very crude, they seem interested but unconvinced that it isn't just a couple of bad choices he made.

I am 100% confident that if they read or saw the stuff for themselves, they would feel like I do. 

• Love 3

This may have been the only FNS final where I watched the majority of the episode without FF through it.

And it is because I was actually engaged in the contestants, mostly because of the work done here, I was interested in seeing the recaps of the season so that I could quickly see the events happen again with my new understanding of who Lenny really is. I was watching Lenny describe foods and assuming that instead of what he said on this show, he really wanted to use the comparisons like his sticky one on the Ron and Fez board. And when he was gushing on about Giada, I was assuming that he really wanted to say the same thing about her as he said about Ree Drummond. 

Sigh. I am sorry that America didn't have the pleasure of reading what I read. I have spoken with people here at work, mostly women in the 35-65 age range, and they all seemed to be okay with Lenny or even like him. When I tell them that his outside of FNS videos and internet discussions are very crude, they seem interested but unconvinced that it isn't just a couple of bad choices he made.

I am 100% confident that if they read or saw the stuff for themselves, they would feel like I do. 

I'm sort of in that 35-65 age range (I turn 35 in a matter of weeks) and I DO NOT like Lenny.  Maybe it's because I'm a city girl from Toronto who is a bit of a foodie (and with a somewhat diverse palate), but I find Lenny unpolished and unsophisticated.  Food Network already has someone like him - his name is Guy Fieri and he's on ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME.  Besides, since Lenny trained in Europe, he's faking his "unsophisticated" vibe.  Take that Chelsea Market yogurt spot for example.  The cut made it sound like he didn't know what sumac was (rather than being surprised).  If Lenny is a trained chef (I heard that he was trained in Europe?), then he should know.  Of course, the vast majority of the North American population (or world, even) isn't exactly like me (or my husband).  I have a cousin who only tried quinoa for the first time late last year while I've been making quinoa stuffing for my Thanksgiving/Christmas turkey since 2011 (to be fair, she lives in Asia where it might not be as common/readily available).

• Love 1

The cut made it sound like he didn't know what sumac was (rather than being surprised).

HA, being from the south, I saw it a different way. Poison Sumac will make your skin itch until you want to cry for your momma. And if it's burned and you inhale it, it could damage your lungs, or possibly kill you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_vernix

I think Lenny thought he was eating that stuff and was in danger of dying. Literally, I laughed at that part of his presentation of the yogurt shop because I knew what he was thinking.

• Love 1

Double sigh. I'm with you, JTMacc99. I fall solidly within that age range...and I think it's different if someone makes "just a couple of bad choices" vs. if someone reveals who he really is. In my opinion, one does not use the word c___ and talk about...well, the stuff he said about Ree Drummond -- won't type it here -- and get to claim, "Ooops, bad choice!" Saying stuff like that isn't a "mistake," -- saying stuff like that reveals who Lenny is and what he thinks about women, at the very least. No pass from me.

• Love 7

Well, I got my wish. FLUFFY BEANS FOR EVERYONE! Then later, we'll all have a shirtless fart contest!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Lenny's comment about knowing everybody wanted to see "my creamy chest." Oof. Dude just cannot help it.

Now the real fun begins. The Media thread ought to start popping pretty soon, I assume. Even if the story never really gains traction among the masses who don't read internet content about FN or tee vee in general, I'm still convinced that those of us who do will have plenty to consume as this thing develops. Surely all the usual online gossip rags will try their damnedest to milk this "scandal" for whatever it's worth, especially now that he's actually won. And it's gonna be big fun to see where it all goes.

I still refuse to believe that FN is just gonna try to ignore everything and pretend there's "nothing to see here." I still can't envision a scenario in which they possibly could. FN is gonna have to address it at some point. The aforementioned online gossip rags are gonna go after this thing like a dog with a bone. Because clicks, baby! I mean, if nothing else, you've gotta figure various current and former FN personalities will have some pretty strong personal reactions to it all, for various reasons. Anne Burrell? Ted Allen? Alton? Ree Drummond? Rachael Ray? Hell, even Paula. And surely they're going to be pressed to comment on it.

Let the meta soap opera begin! I'll bring the popcorn!

• Love 4

foodnetworkgossip.com has an article discussing the issue of Lenny's being selected as the Next FNS. Includes links to several of the salty outbursts... and yes... the horrific image of him sitting on a toilet, and eating the candy from an Advent calendar. Included were the comments he expressed re: Ree Drummond. 

pLr8lEP.jpg..... NO WAY, NO HOW !!!  There is no way to cover the filthy, disgusting, "sticky" tracks left by this obnoxious-non-cowboy fake.

Edited by Day2Day
  • Love 3
Now the real fun begins. The Media thread ought to start popping pretty soon, I assume. Even if the story never really gains traction among the masses who don't read internet content about FN or tee vee in general, I'm still convinced that those of us who do will have plenty to consume as this thing develops. Surely all the usual online gossip rags will try their damnedest to milk this "scandal" for whatever it's worth, especially now that he's actually won. And it's gonna be big fun to see where it all goes.

I still refuse to believe that FN is just gonna try to ignore everything and pretend there's "nothing to see here." I still can't envision a scenario in which they possibly could. FN is gonna have to address it at some point. The aforementioned online gossip rags are gonna go after this thing like a dog with a bone. Because clicks, baby! I mean, if nothing else, you've gotta figure various current and former FN personalities will have some pretty strong personal reactions to it all, for various reasons. Anne Burrell? Ted Allen? Alton? Ree Drummond? Rachael Ray? Hell, even Paula. And surely they're going to be pressed to comment on it.

Maybe the likes of TMZ and The Smoking Gun think FN is so minor that not enough people will care to make it worth their time. "What's next, an HGTV scandal?"

Edited by Totale

At the end of the day, Food Network left the final three up to a vote. One made clams, not easily found affordably in all parts of the country.  One made a whole branzino, not easily found in all parts of the country.  One cooked a steak.  Cowboy Lenny played the game. 

Additionally, the producers of the pilots were idiots.  Luca and the other gorgeous Italian chef talked about her menu.  I have had no problem understanding Luca all season.  None.  And yet, I googled burnt meat pasta the next morning to learn that it was burnt wheat pasta.  Nicole was told to loosen up and was filmed repeatedly sipping from a beer bottle.  While I absolutely miss Michael Chiarello's wine suggestions, we already have Aunt Sandy for boozing it up on the air.  (And for all I know ever single sip of the beer (three) made it into the pilot.)  Lenny wisely cooked a steak and told a cornpone story to go with it.  That's what Kermit and Medusa want.  Apparently, that's what the majority of their viewers want.  I was very, very, very disappointed with the food knowledge from most of the contestants this season.  When I read the bios, I had pegged Christopher (dreamie!) or Aryen as the winners.  Of course, Christopher was too stiff (i.e. not screaming in your face ala Ray Ray) and Aryen just didn't seem to be a cooking.  Not too surprised the Lenny won.

• Love 1

I bet the FN execs were really following what he happened to Adam Richman and the ratings for his new show Food Fighters. A couple of month ago he got into a very nasty feud on Instagram. Travel Channel put their project with him on hiatus, but NBC went ahead with Food Fighters (and Wal Mart is airing ads featuring him.) He's getting solid ratings. 

Maybe, even with full knowledge of Lenny's past, FN just decided he is worth the risk.

I'm so disappointed in NBC for doing this. I'd say I'm disappointed in Walmart for not dropping Adam Richman as a spokesman, but it isn't as if they are known for having high integrity. Going OT here for a sec, but I met Adam at the filming of one of his stops for Man Vs. Food - that foul mouthed, ill-tempered man on Instagram is very much who he is. And that's fine, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. But I certainly won't be purchasing products he shills or shows he hosts, knowing what a jerk he is.

I don't think some of these Lenny examples are as hateful as Adam is. However, he doesn't have a fraction of Adam's charisma. Adam can recover because he's he's very likable. Lenny, at his best, is a caricature whose schtick wears thin in 30 seconds. I can safely say, if this is the sort of "star" that Food Networks thinks I'd find interesting, I am no longer in their demographic. And I say this completely independently of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

• Love 1

I'm disgusted by the outcome but sadly not too surprised. I am surprised that there's not even one intern assigned to doing basic internet checks before they sign these people to be on the show.

When Lenny was declared the winner I had a specific feeling. Remember the breakfast barf in a cup prepared in an early episode? I feel like that was just spewed all over me. Thanks FN.

Ahhh...pancake in a cup.  That really takes me back.....

The crazy eyes gave him away.

Where are these supporters of Lenny posting their support?  

Crazy eyes!  And the more animate he gets the crazier the eyes get.  I would be freaked out watching a show with some fat cowboy with crazy eyes yelling at me about coffee rubs.  And after seeing that video of him and the corn there is no way I want him doing a stand and stir show because he would probably be trying to make out with whatever he had in the bowl.

Cow pah lol that's hilarious.  Perfect description.  

I could never see why everyone thought Giada was hot for Luca until last night.  I thought she was going to start humping him right there.

I felt so bad for Luca.  His pilot seemed jumbled to me but I still thought he deserved it more than Lenny.  I don't think I mentioned it before but Lenny seemed dirty to me.  Like he never bathed.  Maybe it was because he seemed to have worn the same pants every day.

I liked Luca better too.  But Food Network may keep him on, but have a different path for him.  Carla didn't win TC, but I think she has had one of the more successful careers out there.  But color me shocked that Luca didn't win, I was certain they were gonna go the Top Chef route and have the winner of Star Salvation win it all, like they did with Kristin and Last Chance Kitchen.

I'm still confused as to how Lenny managed to bring 200 neckerchiefs, 15 belt buckles, 10 western themed shirts and only one fucking pair of jeans.....that he tore!

• Love 1

The sad thing is as much as word spread on the internet about the REAL Lenny the truth is the internet is still a small fraction of the viewers that have been watching him every week. I was hoping it would have been enough to cause backlash and let him lose but I guess not.  More people probably don't know about the YT vids and postings than who actually do.  Towards the end of this past season of American Idol the now winner made some awful comments even as going as far as calling people on Twitter who dare to tweet him song requests "r******".  I thought for sure this would have put the final nail in him losing, nope, he won.  And when I complained at work one day not one person heard a thing about these comments he made.  IMO same thing here.  I just hope network themselves are cautious and I hope even more they treat Lenny worse than Justin.

Probably not, but let's face it, they are running out of new concepts.  At least it's not the 47th variation on Italian cooking that Luca's show would have been.

WTF?? Where is all this Italian food? Giada doesn't cook Italian anymore, so what are you talking about?

There is much more of this garbage country cookin. This guys a complete goof, can't believe he won. Awful.

• Love 7

I seem to remember every other time the winner was chosen, someone said something about the winner having to get right in the studio because their show was going to be on in a week. Anybody else remember this? I was waiting for it, but they didn't say anything, so I wonder if it's because of Lenny's videos.

This is the second time that the new "star" doesn't have their show airing on the following Sunday. Justin was the other one. Could Lenny be pitching some sort of hissy fit? Or are they busy scrubbing up his image? LOL

To my recollection, ever since viewers started voting for the winners, the new shows have taken longer to air.  I definitely remember there being a lag between Damaris' win and her debut too.  It makes sense to me - if the producers pick the winner they have the episodes ready to go by the time the finale airs - not so if they have to wait for the votes to come in.

I wasn't a fan of anyone this season, but even so I'm truly disappointed Lenny's win.  He screamed both fake and annoying to me even before his online footprint came to light, now I actively hate him.  I hope he gets Justin'ed pronto.

Edited by Earl Is Dead
  • Love 2

There are no words.  No words.  When Giada was shrieking, "Lenny is having his way with me!", I was thinking, no, he ain't, little lady.  He most certainly ain't.

Ugh. Which one of you guys voted for Cowboy Creepy? -growls- I really didn't think there was anyway he'd win so I sat through the whole mess.  I about choked on my tea when they were showing mentor clips and Giada said he was charming and good looking and had a great smile.  Was there another Lenny on the show I missed? 

That was a gag.  She was talking about Luca; they implied it was Lenny until the last moment when she said Luca's name.  Then the sound effect of scratching vinyl.

I also am not sure where all these Italian food shows are on Food Network.  I think a show with Luca, done properly, would have been a nice addition.  With the flowing shirt and all that.  Like Lidia Bastianich crossed with Fabio.

I don't even remember Alton saying anything funny to rip Giada.  Those two have become so tiresome.  Like Bobby said, two little kids just bickering all the time.  They aren't even particularly witty about it.  "Stop touching me!"  "Make me!"  Hooo, my siblings and I stopped thinking that shit was funny about the time our ages went to double digits.  I loved how Bobby said he just stays out of it.  I also loved how Bobby said he was rooting for Nicole the whole time.

Also, Loreal's hair must have been a joke.  Right?  Right?

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1

FN lost any shred of credibility they had with this show.

1. To foist this off on anyone as a legitimate cooking challenge is a joke.

2. Even if not a cooking challenge not crowning someone with negligible charisma or TV persona was also a failure.

3. If this is the best 12 candidates they could come up with they need to find a new talent scout or scuttle the show.

• Love 4

I'm so disappointed in NBC for doing this. I'd say I'm disappointed in Walmart for not dropping Adam Richman as a spokesman, but it isn't as if they are known for having high integrity. Going OT here for a sec, but I met Adam at the filming of one of his stops for Man Vs. Food - that foul mouthed, ill-tempered man on Instagram is very much who he is. And that's fine, it takes all kinds to make the world go round. But I certainly won't be purchasing products he shills or shows he hosts, knowing what a jerk he is.

I don't think some of these Lenny examples are as hateful as Adam is. However, he doesn't have a fraction of Adam's charisma. Adam can recover because he's he's very likable. Lenny, at his best, is a caricature whose schtick wears thin in 30 seconds. I can safely say, if this is the sort of "star" that Food Networks thinks I'd find interesting, I am no longer in their demographic. And I say this completely independently of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

I'm no Adam Richman fan, but I've never seen him say or do anything as disgusting as Real Lenny. I think the problem is that, for whatever reason, his website didn't make mainstream news like Paula or Adam's fiascos. I'm on the internet a lot and never would have known about it if it wasn't for posts here. (Thanks. I think.) 

I love it that Bobby weighed in for Nicole and I can't see those judges choosing Lenny, nor the execs keeping someone who they don't want to have a show. My guess is that it was somewhat rigged (it's a reality show, not a game show so they can do that) because Bob and Suze think he's "money". That I could actually picture him as the next generation of FN Stars--as the successor to all the Triple D marathons--just shows how far FN has fallen.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

A lot of very valid comments about L'Oreal's horrific 'do, but I must add that Aryen's hair looked really, really nice last night. A big improvement over the top-knot she sported in the competition.

I don't believe for one second the winner is determined by a public vote.  I believe the producers choose who they want.  The "vote" is just to get viewers interested and invested.  I'm willing to bet there's a clause somewhere that says the producers have the final say.  I know it's that way on Project Runway (although that show doesn't involve a vote to determine the winner) and other "competition" shows.

I saw posts on the Food Network Facebook page where people said the "loved" Lenny and didn't care about the YouTube videos or the message board posts.  They honestly believe he's a true-blue cowboy and love him for that.  Sigh...

• Love 2

Crazy eyes!  And the more animate he gets the crazier the eyes get.  I would be freaked out watching a show with some fat cowboy with crazy eyes yelling at me about coffee rubs.  And after seeing that video of him and the corn there is no way I want him doing a stand and stir show because he would probably be trying to make out with whatever he had in the bowl.

Any more freaked out than watching an old, fat, drunk, flatulent cajun dropping bowls and stirring with his fingers?  Remember Justin Wilson?  Hooowee!

http://youtu.be/-YRtlWDHrBo