Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: A Lock-In, a Weather Girl and a Disgusting Habit

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Sheldon acts as Mary's spy during a youth lock-in at church. Also, Georgie is attracted to an older woman, Mandy (Emily Osment), on the CBS Original series YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, Jan. 13 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

• Useful 1

I…I don’t know what to say. They’re really going through with Mary having crush on the youth pastor? And George seeing them together outside and he’s projecting his guilty conscience on her so he’s assuming something is going on with them?! Ughhhhhhhhhhhh.

And the Georgie plot…he really had sex with an adult woman?

• Love 8

All things considered, I liked this episode more than the last one. Meemaw was cool not to bust Georgie. My mother would have shouted that I was drinking underage from the rooftops and threatened to sue the restaurant for serving me. Poor Missy still being directed to slouch on the couch and hold her hands in an awkward position. Is this supposed to hide the fact that she is taller than Sheldon or developing??

Let me just throw this one out there....when Mandy made her initial appearance , my first thought was that she was a law enforcement plant to eventually bust Meemaw and maybe Georgie and close the gambling parlor. Anybody else go there or am I overthinking this one? 

• Love 8

I can't decide if I find it weird or not that Mary asked Sheldon to be her narc.  On the one hand, she probably knew it would get him there.  But, even though he doesn't go to school with those kids, she does seem to want him to have friends his own age and that was not the way to go about it.

And not that the kids got up to much, but they might as well not have had any chaperones.  Just frisk them when they come in and take their contraband.  

4 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

et me just throw this one out there....when Mandy made her initial appearance , my first thought was that she was a law enforcement plant to eventually bust Meemaw and maybe Georgie and close the gambling parlor. Anybody else go there or am I overthinking this one? 

I don't think Meemaw is that big of a criminal to rate all that.  They'd just go in and bust her like they did before.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

Meemaw was cool not to bust Georgie.

I expected her to take his drink and walk away with it.

6 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

when Mandy made her initial appearance , my first thought was that she was a law enforcement plant to eventually bust Meemaw and maybe Georgie and close the gambling parlor.

I wondered about that too.

• Love 2

Missy is my favorite.  She knew that Sheldon would need to be the best at the hiding game and used it to basically get rid of him.  On the other hand, the chaperones were pretty useless.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

It's interesting that Mary is just as unhappy as George, but she only shows it during unguarded moments like her chat with Pastor Rob. George's misery is obvious to anyone who looks, but Mary is really good at putting up a cheerful, Jesus-loving front most of the time. If she were honest with George, their marriage could still be salvageable provided they're both committed to making it work. Either way, I hope that Brenda gets together with the school principal rather than start an affair with George. She's had enough hardship with her husband leaving, and an affair would make her life even more difficult.

I wonder where the story of Georgie and the ex-weather girl is going. They're in a small town, so it's only a matter of time until she finds out that he's a 17-year-old high school dropout living in his parents' garage. I'm surprised the restaurant staff didn't know his real age and served him alcohol without checking ID. I doubt they would be so cavalier about the risk of losing their liquor license.

I love how Missy dominates Sheldon without him even knowing.

Edited by chocolatine
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Let me just throw this one out there....when Mandy made her initial appearance , my first thought was that she was a law enforcement plant to eventually bust Meemaw and maybe Georgie and close the gambling parlor. Anybody else go there or am I overthinking this one? 

Add me to the list.

Good episode except for the fact that Georgie is a minor.  What is the age for sex in Texas? Because she could have potentially be hauled in for statutory rape.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Add me to the list.

Good episode except for the fact that Georgie is a minor.  What is the age for sex in Texas? Because she could have potentially be hauled in for statutory rape.

That was my first thought too!

If the ages were switched around, no one would be amused by the statutory rape.  This scenario is disturbing. 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Add me to the list.

The age of consent in Texas is 17.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

It did not occur to me that Mandy was there  to investigate Meemaw’s gambling operation—–I guess because her weather girl story sounded genuine.

My go-to plot development thought was that she gets pregnant.

George’s plot was surprisingly nuanced. Having so many actors who know their craft so well contributed to the quality of the story telling. Is there an Emmy for that? Probably not specifically.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm surprised the restaurant staff didn't know his real age and served him alcohol without checking ID. I doubt they would be so cavalier about the risk of losing their liquor license.

I was 29 the first time I got carded.  What was really weird was I went to a restaurant/bar with a group of friends when I was 27.  I was the youngest in the group (and looked it).  Two of them were in their 50s.  I was the only one that didn't get carded.  I was like, "what was up with that?"

47 minutes ago, nora1992 said:

If the ages were switched around, no one would be amused by the statutory rape.  This scenario is disturbing. 

The age of consent in Texas is 17.  That is of course currently and I'm not going to do a bunch of research to find out when that happened, but it probably was the same in the early '90s.  

• Love 3

Ack! I lost track of time and missed the first ten minutes before I realized it, so I decided to just watch tonight. Spoiling myself anyway. 🙃

13 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Poor Missy still being directed to slouch on the couch and hold her hands in an awkward position. Is this supposed to hide the fact that she is taller than Sheldon or developing??

It doesn't even make sense for them to do that, anyway. I don't think there's anything in already-established BBT universe to suggest that she should look younger than (or equal to) Sheldon at this age, and they are at an age where girls generally look a little older than their male peers. Why hide it? (Someone mentioned in the Conners thread about how they had Mark sitting a lot to hide how tall he's gotten, and they sometimes seem to be doing the same with Sheldon, which also doesn't make sense since as an adult he's tall and thin so it's perfectly plausible that he'd start shooting up around age 12.)

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I was 29 the first time I got carded.  What was really weird was I went to a restaurant/bar with a group of friends when I was 27.  I was the youngest in the group (and looked it).  Two of them were in their 50s.  I was the only one that didn't get carded.  I was like, "what was up with that?"

I found whether I got carded depended on who I was with. When I worked retail we'd go out after closing sometimes. If most of the closing crew was older, I didn't get carded. When the group was mostly younger or closer to my age, I did. (I didn't even get carded for my first legal drink, a few days after I turned 21 [and I most certainly did not look it], because I was with my parents.) Georgie has such a baby face I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't, but if he was with an adult...maybe they just assumed he's older?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

The age of consent in Texas is 17.  That is of course currently and I'm not going to do a bunch of research to find out when that happened, but it probably was the same in the early '90s.  

It was. There’s also a Romeo and Juliet law for people under 17 (but over 13) in which it’s also okay if the age gap isn’t more than three years.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, nora1992 said:

This episode is a solid reminder that men run this show and that it's a Chuck Lorre show.  Over at Two and a Half Men it was played for laughs that the Charlie character started having sex when he was around 12 and many of his early partners were teachers or otherwise involved with the school he attended.  Basically it was shown as being yet another way Charlie wins in the "gets all the sex he wants" department.  Male fantasy?  Check. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

This episode is a solid reminder that men run this show and that it's a Chuck Lorre show. 

And if Mandy continues to be a character she'll eventually become a "b*llbuster" like almost all female characters on Chuck Lorre shows.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The age of consent in Texas is 17.

So the relationship between Georgie and Mandy is technically legal, but at the same time a bit icky and questionable. 

I'm sure Missy told all of her peers that the way to get rid of Sheldon is to play sardines, hide and seek, or a similar game. 

Mary had a fantasy/dream about Pastor Rob, but she has shown no signs of acting on it. If things get worse with George, I can see Mary going to Pastor Rob for advice (and only advice). It seems like he could be another adult in her life she could go to for honest relationship advice. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Sarah 103 said:

Mary had a fantasy/dream about Pastor Rob, but she has shown no signs of acting on it

This was the other aspect of this show that bothered me.  George has been shown to be unhappy for a while now and actually came very close to having an affair with Brenda - now out of the blue they show Mary having a fantasy/dream about another man?  Is this their hamfisted way of leveling things so that viewers will feel that Mary is no better than George (or George is no worse than Mary)?  Because if it is, it's not working with this viewer!

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

This was the other aspect of this show that bothered me.  George has been shown to be unhappy for a while now and actually came very close to having an affair with Brenda - now out of the blue they show Mary having a fantasy/dream about another man?  Is this their hamfisted way of leveling things so that viewers will feel that Mary is no better than George (or George is no worse than Mary)?  Because if it is, it's not working with this viewer!

Agreed. There is a huge difference between having a dream about something (because we can't really control what we dream about or what happens in our dreams) and what we do when we are fully awake. George came very close to having an affair. Mary's dream is not the same as what George almost did in any way, shape, or form. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Poor Missy still being directed to slouch on the couch and hold her hands in an awkward position. Is this supposed to hide the fact that she is taller than Sheldon or developing?? 

I don't know what they think they are hiding.  It has already been revealed that Missy got her period at least 1-2 seasons ago.  Everyone knows girls develop breasts at this age and tend to have growth spurts earlier than boys.  

• Love 12

I thought George turning the truck to go to the church and be with Mary was the start of his journey to infidelity. He purposefully left Brenda at the bar with the principal so as to NOT go further down the pathway he's trying to avoid. Then, when he gets out of the truck and sees Mary laughing, smoking, and enjoying herself with someone else, he looks like he decides that trying to avoid hurting her is no longer the roadblock it had been. She is not responsible for his decision to begin an affair with Brenda if that's where the story is going, but it shows us a factor in his decision to give in to temptation. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

my first thought was that she was a law enforcement plant to eventually bust Meemaw and maybe Georgie and close the gambling parlor. Anybody else go there or am I overthinking this one? 

At least the gambling parlor plot would be going somewhere.  Maybe she sets up a raid and partner Ruby ends up being the one arrested.

I liked that finally there was an episode this season with the kids having a big role (although I always think we need more Missy).

• Love 3

I honestly thought the new girl at the laundromat was the same girl Georgie had a crush on in a previous season (the one who was religious and he gave her jewelry and pursued her til she told him to stop). I eventually figured out it wasn't her, but Georgie sure does have a type.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Is this their hamfisted way of leveling things so that viewers will feel that Mary is no better than George (or George is no worse than Mary)? 

I think it's just a way of showing that Mary is human, and is experiencing her own bit of marital unhappiness that's related to her role as wife and as a woman.  As opposed to her disagreements with George about the children.  For me, it adds another welcome layer to her character.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, camom said:

Missy is my favorite.  She knew that Sheldon would need to be the best at the hiding game and used it to basically get rid of him.  On the other hand, the chaperones were pretty useless.

Sheldon might be book smart, but Missy has the market cornered on reading people. Never underestimate my girl Missy. 

Georgie hooking up with a woman who's almost thirty is pretty creepy. He's legally of age, but its still icky. 

• Love 12
21 hours ago, camom said:

On the other hand, the chaperones were pretty useless.

No one got pregnant, so I'm calling it a win.

George's single friend got to meet Brenda after all, but George didn't seem too happy about it.  I don't think Mary's going to have an affair with the youth pastor, but it may push George into being unfaithful.  

It may be a double standard, but most 17 year old males would be thrilled to have sex with an attractive 29 year old.  And their male friends would admire them for it.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Sheldon might be book smart, but Missy has the market cornered on reading people. Never underestimate my girl Missy. 

Georgie hooking up with a woman who's almost thirty is pretty creepy. He's legally of age, but its still icky. 

19 minutes ago, rmontro said:

It may be a double standard, but most 17 year old males would be thrilled to have sex with an attractive 29 year old.  And their male friends would admire them for it.  

Completely creepy and 110% a double standard but it tracks for where Georgie is in life.. We don't know that they had sex, hopefully they didn't.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Perhaps. But more to the point:

• Georgie initiated the hook up.
  • The woman verified his age (he said "21")
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps. But more to the point:

• Georgie initiated the hook up.
  • The woman verified his age (he said "21")

I'm not a lawyer, but does asking the age remove responsibility of the adult?  If the minor lies?  Because I'm not so sure that it does.  Georgie was of legal age in this case anyway.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

I'm not a lawyer, but does asking the age remove responsibility of the adult?  If the minor lies?  Because I'm not so sure that it does.  Georgie was of legal age in this case anyway.  

It does not. If one wants to be sure, they should card, because they’re still liable if the minor is lying. But in this case, yes, irrelevant, as Georgie is still a legal age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My favorite in this episode was Peg.  I loved how the kids were checking if she is asleep so they’d be free do whatever they are not supposed to do, Billy says “she looks dead,” and she opens her eyes and barks “I’m not dead!”  And then goes ahead and closes her eyes again because of course she doesn’t care if they behave or not.  She is just there to confiscate stuff for her own benefit.  “But they are allowed to have a Walkman” - “Well, it’s mine now.”

• Love 7

In regards to the alcohol issue, I'm a bartender and I card everyone that looks under 30, to cover my ass. If they come in with people who are obviously older, I card the "older" people as well, so they don't feel old. If the older person comes in first and I don't card them and then are joined by a younger friend whom I then card, if they say "You didn't card me!!" (oh, it HAPPENS), I say "Hey, we dated in college, remember?" (Note: 95% of the time this gets the intended laugh. 5% of the time they spend the rest of the evening trying to remember me until I take pity and clue them in on the joke).

Also, not excusing anything, but plenty of people were fine with Aria and Ezra on PLL (yes, the age difference wasn't as large, but the power imbalance was much larger), so I don't think this is one of the times to say "Oh, but if a MAN did it..."

• Love 5

Finally watched after I got home from work and voiceover Sheldon saying he's the best at Sardines at the end made me a little sad for him.

Sassy magazine! 😄

26 minutes ago, Tattooeddancer said:

In regards to the alcohol issue, I'm a bartender and I card everyone that looks under 30, to cover my ass. 

The liquor store I usually go to when I need booze cards everyone. There are signs at each register and a bigger sign above them saying as much. I was behind a guy once who was at least in his 70s and he had to show his ID.  I've never seen anyone complain about it (granted, I don't buy alcohol all that often but it's nice that I've never seen anyone make a big deal over it). There's another store I go to occasionally and I haven't been carded there in years, so it's clearly not a state law thing.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Mary's dream is not the same as what George almost did in any way, shape, or form. 

I agree.  It's not Mary's fault that George misinterpreted her interaction with the youth pastor.  

• Love 8
On 1/14/2022 at 5:39 AM, greekmom said:

Most jurisdictions won't bother with a consenting 17 year old unless the parents (or Olivia Benson) insist on pressing charges, and not even then if the victim is a male (or as George Carlin put it, not a "victim," just "lucky"). Even at 16, few child welfare agencies have the resources to pursue such neglect or endangerment cases. Teen drinking is another matter, because ATF gets to keep the fines.

Footnote:  In the 1970s, I had to get the big city newspaper and the Sheriff involved to stop my neighbor from repeatedly whipping his 13 year old stepson with a belt after the local police told me it was none of their business. A parent's "right." Thankfully, times have changed. Mostly.

ETA:  Note that besides apparently being of the age of consent, Georgie is not a virgin and hopefully learned his lesson about using a condom after his pregnancy scare.

Edited by Bobbin
Added thought
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Footnote:  In the 1970s, I had to get the big city newspaper and the Sheriff involved to stop my neighbor from repeatedly whipping his 13 year old stepson with a belt after the local police told me it was none of their business. A parent's "right." Thankfully, times have changed. Mostly.

Thanks to people like you, @Bobbin 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

If I were Georgie’s mother, I would be upset that a 29-year-old woman had sex with my son. 

I would be upset that my son lied about his age in order to have sex with a 29 year old woman.

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

If I were Georgie’s mother, I would be upset that a 29-year-old woman had sex with my son. 

But all she can do is be upset. There’s no legal recourse.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, OlderThanDirt said:

I want Brenda to get together with the principal because Billy needs him. But Billy is a lineman not a linebacker.

Yes. I won't argue about football positions, but Billy needs a man that he admires and trusts telling him that he is good at something. I love the idea of Billy on the football team. He's such a sweet kid, it would never occur to him to take advantage of his situation. Teachers might give him higher grades than he deserves, but he would never ask a teacher for special treatment. Billy being admired for something he is good at; Billy having friends on the team. I didn't realize how much I wanted this until you mentioned it. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I would be upset that my son lied about his age in order to have sex with a 29 year old woman.

Oh, that, too, believe me!

6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

But all she can do is be upset. There’s no legal recourse.

Yes, unfortunately. I do realize that. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Yes. I won't argue about football positions, but Billy needs a man that he admires and trusts telling him that he is good at something. I love the idea of Billy on the football team. He's such a sweet kid, it would never occur to him to take advantage of his situation. Teachers might give him higher grades than he deserves, but he would never ask a teacher for special treatment. Billy being admired for something he is good at; Billy having friends on the team. I didn't realize how much I wanted this until you mentioned it. 

He reminds me of Ralph Wiggam on The Simpsons. You wonder sometimes how he manages to stay in school at all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 1/15/2022 at 11:59 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

True - but Georgie lied and said he was 21 so he's just as much to blame

On 1/14/2022 at 10:42 AM, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Poor Missy still being directed to slouch on the couch and hold her hands in an awkward position.

I honestly thought she was going to proclaim a crush on young Will Wheaton

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 1/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, ctlady said:

I honestly thought she was going to proclaim a crush on young Will Wheaton

Maybe we were supposed to read that between the lines? Too bad the director and the camera person didn't coach her into implying as much. It would have been a good opportunity for her to demonstrate some acting chops. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1