Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: A Lock-In, a Weather Girl and a Disgusting Habit

DanaK
  • Start Topic

On 1/13/2022 at 11:40 PM, chocolatine said:

It's interesting that Mary is just as unhappy as George, but she only shows it during unguarded moments like her chat with Pastor Rob. George's misery is obvious to anyone who looks, but Mary is really good at putting up a cheerful, Jesus-loving front most of the time. 

I'm surprised the restaurant staff didn't know his real age and served him alcohol without checking ID. I doubt they would be so cavalier about the risk of losing their liquor license.

It struck me right away how different Mary seemed during that chat - honest and fairly adorable in her admissions. It's probably the version of Mary that she was when she and George first started dating.

Given how small Medford seems to be, and how the Coopers often go to that restaurant, yes, it's definitely surprising someone would have served Georgie alcohol.

• Love 4
On 1/14/2022 at 11:03 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

In regards to the alcohol issue, I'm a bartender and I card everyone that looks under 30, to cover my ass. If they come in with people who are obviously older, I card the "older" people as well, so they don't feel old.

Places I go to now do this, but when I was in college in the mid-90s, not so much, at least not in the town where the college was located.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe we were supposed to read that between the lines? Too bad the director and the camera person didn't coach her into implying as much. It would have been a good opportunity for her to demonstrate some acting chops. 

?????

That was supposed to be in response to:

On 1/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, ctlady said:

I honestly thought [Missy] was going to proclaim a crush on young Will Wheaton

I also thought Missy would crush on young Wil Wheaton.

Edited by shapeshifter
Will Wheaton doesn't even look right. It's "Wil" with 1 "L"
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2022 at 7:48 AM, ctlady said:

I honestly thought she was going to proclaim a crush on young Will Wheaton

She may have a crush but would never admit it to anyone, lest Sheldon find out. *I* had a crush on Wil (one L) and Wesley, he was put on Nex tGen for my demographic, and it worked. For anyone who doesn't follow Wil on Instagram, he grew up to be an awesome and delightful human and I highly recommend giving him a follow. 

• Love 5

OK, in a half-assed defense of Georgie -- he wasn't attracted to Mandy because she was older, but because she was very attractive.

Finding out she was older just meant he had to  lie, which we already know he's really good at.

As for George turning the truck around, that was pretty flimsy stuff -- it wasn't like Mary and Rob were sitting there making out. They were talking, for cryin' out loud. Was he just jealous because she was laughing with Rob like she hasn't laughed with George in a long long time?

As for Sheldon, the writers are so fed up with him, they actually found a way to literally shut him in a closet the whole episode, so they could get on with the more interesting soap opera stuff!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

Scene: Writers room, Young Sheldon.

Fred: So, Carl, what did you come up with for this week's show?

Carl: Well Fred as you know, Sheldon is such a twitchy wet blanket, we've run out of stories for him so we're gonna stick him in a closet for the entire episode.

Fred: Sounds good to me. Let's shoot this.

• LOL 8
23 hours ago, Gummo said:

Was he just jealous because she was laughing with Rob like she hasn't laughed with George in a long long time?

I think this was a large part of it.  Also, it looked from a distance like an intimate conversation.  Not as in romantic, but just private.

• Love 4
On 1/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, Gummo said:

As for George turning the truck around, that was pretty flimsy stuff -- it wasn't like Mary and Rob were sitting there making out. They were talking, for cryin' out loud. Was he just jealous because she was laughing with Rob like she hasn't laughed with George in a long long time?

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think this was a large part of it.  Also, it looked from a distance like an intimate conversation.  Not as in romantic, but just private.

We saw George in this episode repeatedly trying to do the right thing for his marriage. 
Seeing Mary having a good time and choosing to not interfere or interrupt is not inconsistent. 
An emotionally immature or abusive husband would have interrupted Mary and the youth pastor's cigarette break chat with accusations or in some other way make things unpleasant.

• Love 8

Underage drinking in restaurants was tolerated differently in the 70's and 80's. I visited Chicago with my 19 year old boyfriend  in 1976, when I was 17. We went out to eat several times and I was served mixed drinks with no problem. We were with his 30ish older brother and his wife.

We spent time in local bars also, with no problem.

The kids on the show are really growing up. They change so quickly at this age, it's going to be tough to hide Missy especially.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, treeofdreams said:

Ooooh, Ilya Kuryakin - yum!

Still as gorgeous on NCIS!

Slightly off-topic. I'm a younger person who first saw David McCallum as the elderly Dr. Ducky Mallard on NCIS. I was reading a book on television in the 1960s and it mentioned the large teen following David McCallum had. Having only seen him older, I was having trouble picturing him as a teen idol. A family member instructed me to do a google image for "David McCallum" AND "Man From UNCLE," which I did. Imagine my surprise in discovering that Dr. Ducky was really cute decades earlier. 

I am interested to see which teen idols Missy is going to have a crush on and become a super fan of. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I am interested to see which teen idols Missy is going to have a crush on and become a super fan of. 

That would make a great storyline, and give her something to do besides sit around with only a line or two.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

That would make a great storyline, and give her something to do besides sit around with only a line or two.

I wonder if she'll get into grunge? The timing is right but Texas..I don't know. Maybe some country act.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wonder if she'll get into grunge? The timing is right but Texas..I don't know. Maybe some country act.

Grunge and alternative music was popular, even in Texas. Not so much the fashion style, though. Nobody ever wanted to wear all that flannel in 100° heat.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I think just the opposite.

"What are you watching?"
"Beverly Hills, 90210."
"Why?"
"Jason Priestly."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 1/14/2022 at 10:03 PM, Tattooeddancer said:

Also, not excusing anything, but plenty of people were fine with Aria and Ezra on PLL (yes, the age difference wasn't as large, but the power imbalance was much larger), so I don't think this is one of the times to say "Oh, but if a MAN did it..."

I had a BIG problem with Aria and Ezra. It was super creepy and inappropriate and I still don’t like that they were played as one of the big romances of the show. I think that was a pretty popular opinion on this site anyway. The teen girl fans of the show were ok with it because …..well teen girls (and I can say that because I was one back in the day). 

I don’t like seeing Georgie doing this he’s just going to get hurt…and I don’t know what the writers are thinking.  But there is still definitely the cultural difference of a teenage boy doing this is seen as he got “lucky” and a teenage girl would be a “victim” (I mean insert 17 yo missy in the exact same story in your head) and its messed up either way. 

• Love 1

For me, the difference between what happened on Pretty Little Liars and here is that Ezra was a teacher at Aria’s school. The power differential was the real problem for me. If he had been Joe Schmo accountant at H&R Block, I wouldn’t have cared. And that’s what we have with Georgie and his paramour. She’s not in a position of power over him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

For me, the difference between what happened on Pretty Little Liars and here is that Ezra was a teacher at Aria’s school. The power differential was the real problem for me. If he had been Joe Schmo accountant at H&R Block, I wouldn’t have cared. And that’s what we have with Georgie and his paramour. She’s not in a position of power over him.

At least, not yet.
There's still room for them to reveal Emily Osment/Mandy/ex-weather-girl is really with the IRS or something. 
But I hope they don't complicate it in any way like that.

• Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 10:03 AM, kariyaki said:

It was. There’s also a Romeo and Juliet law for people under 17 (but over 13) in which it’s also okay if the age gap isn’t more than three years.

THAT makes sense! So many young men on the sex offender list because of the girls disgruntled parents. Every state  should have this. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, rmontro said:

I'm not a lawyer, but does asking the age remove responsibility of the adult?  If the minor lies?  Because I'm not so sure that it does.  Georgie was of legal age in this case anyway.  

What is someone supposed to do? Ask to see a license or birth certificate? ! Good grief we are getting nuts in this country. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:33 AM, Deskisamess said:

Underage drinking in restaurants was tolerated differently in the 70's and 80's. I visited Chicago with my 19 year old boyfriend  in 1976, when I was 17. We went out to eat several times and I was served mixed drinks with no problem. We were with his 30ish older brother and his wife.

We spent time in local bars also, with no problem.

The kids on the show are really growing up. They change so quickly at this age, it's going to be tough to hide Missy especially.

Oh yeah! Good times! (Do as I say, not as I DID!😄)

• Love 2
On 1/14/2022 at 10:15 AM, SusannahM said:

This episode is a solid reminder that men run this show and that it's a Chuck Lorre show.  Over at Two and a Half Men it was played for laughs that the Charlie character started having sex when he was around 12 and many of his early partners were teachers or otherwise involved with the school he attended.  Basically it was shown as being yet another way Charlie wins in the "gets all the sex he wants" department.  Male fantasy?  Check. 

Maybe we should should start treating the women who engage in sex with boys under the age of consent as the criminals they are instead of lauding the boy for having sex.

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Maybe we should should start treating the women who engage in sex with boys under the age of consent as the criminals they are instead of lauding the boy for having sex.

That's rarely going to happen. If I had been banging a teacher when I was 15 or whatever I would have been the school hero & I have no idea how they go so long with nobody knowing. I would have been shouting it from the rooftops.